Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
1.78/5  rDev -17.6%

Some people will drink nothing but this beer. Obviously I don't get it.

A - It looks good. I imagine that is one of the main concerns in brewing it. It certainly isn't the taste.

S - Metal, hay, horse urine

T - Metal, hay, horse urine

M - It is excessively carbonated. Perhaps that is a result of the "triple-hop brewing process (c)"

D - To be consumed only in case of an emergency

A good use for this beer is for a drink recipe known as 'The Icebox' AKA 'Summer Beer' AKA the 'Ride My Face':

Get a pint glass, and a shot glass that fits inside the pint (like an Irish Car-Bomb set-up)

Fill the shot glass with amaretto and place it inside the pint glass

Slowly fill the pint with orange juice until its about half-full and the Amaretto begins to float

Fill the rest with Lite (or other similar US adjunct) and slam the whole thing immediately

Super Delicious

ktrillionaire, Dec 25, 2009
2.34/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Well, here's some stuff, that uh, well, its a decent mass produced light beer, that counts for something right? Looks like someone spilled a tiny bit of beer into some water. Fizzy. Fize. Whatever.

Smell, old, like beer in a couch. Taste, you know, whatever yeast they use, its somewhat complimentary to what this beer is. You can actually discern a faint amount of sweetness that is mildly enjoyable (I dunno, could be some adjunct sweetener though). Mouthfeel, don't keep it there it ain't good, but is marginally drinkable, because, its like drinking vitamin fizzy water, and, it was free like every month, thank you Miller Brewing Company and Marquette Law School . . . GO MILWAUKEE, GO WARRIORS!

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 24, 2009
2.53/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is missing for the most part, beer flavored water with a hint of bitterness. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. If only the product could match the advertising, this one is not good.

tone77, Dec 24, 2009
1.3/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Actually doesn't look half bad. Pours a very pale straw color with a thick white head that dissipates relatively slowly and leaves decent lacing.

Smell: What little smell there is stinks of grain and adjuncts.

Taste: Has a sickly sweet taste of grain. Has almost no hop character to it at all. I honestly don't know how Miller gets off claiming that this is "triple hop brewed." Leaves a funny metallic aftertaste in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: You might as well be drinking carbonated water. I could see this being refreshing on a hot day but that's about it.

Drinkability: This is by far my least favorite of the big three lite beers. I got this beer for free and I could never see myself paying a cent for it. Absolutely worthless...

wahhmaster, Dec 23, 2009

Served from aluminum bottle so not sure if I got the serving type right.

A: About the worst looking beer I have ever seen in my life. What very, very little head it had actually came out lopsided. Never thought that was possible. Looks like water with a drop of yellow food coloring in it.

S: Sharp repugnant odor of corn and cereal barley. Also a tad skunky and the beer is about as fresh as it gets. Never noticed any American lagers smelling skunky before. But I guess it least does have some smell.

T: Ugh. Overly carbonated and a lot on the sour side. Perhaps too fresh? bottled Nov 23rd so I doubt it. Same as the nose of lot of cereal but to be fair it is a tad refreshing as much as I hate it. Have to give it some props for at least having flavor but the aftertaste is horrendous! Feel like I ate some Sour Patch Kids.

M: Very thin with way too much carbonation. Why so harsh?

D: Well it is a lite beer so you can drink tons of it and probably barely have a hangover the next day because of all the water in it. Only had enough to review and it is actually making feel kind of crappy inside. But to experienced macro drinker it shouldn't bother them.

I feel bad for having put this in my Duvel tulip. Ok so I bought this knowing the review would be pretty bad but I feel like I had to touch base with the macros since it has been ages. To be fair it wasn't nearly as foul as I thought it would be. But then the aftertaste kicked in and that was it. Not sure I can even finish it.

I just don't see the point of lite beers. Most people drink this stuff to get drunk but it has less alcohol and tastes way worse than non lite. Won't you have to drink more to get a buzz and defeating the purpose of cutting back on calories anyways?

generalnotsew, Dec 22, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Straw gold, with a fast setting pure white head

S: Pure adjunct grains, that strange sweetness and a touch of hops...just enough to not make it seem like adjunct and water

T: Again water with an adjunct and super mild hop aftertaste, flavors seem like afterthoughts, definitely do not make any sort of splash on the palate

M: Heavy water, super carbonated

D: Again drinks like carbonated water...so it should be easy, but it doesn't taste good, so you don't really want to drink it

Notes: I actually prefer Corona to Miller Lite and related products. Even though Corona is skunked at least it has more flavor. I'd rather taste skunk than strange water.

dpodratsky3, Dec 14, 2009
2.17/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Yellow, very little head.

S: Smells of corn and just reminds me of wet dirt. Maybe some hops.

T: Just as the smell the major taste here is corny.

M: Light, crisp, carbonated. Somehow it seems to cling to my tongue a bit afterwards.

D: Definitely easy to drink, but it's more enjoyable to drink it quickly in order to be refreshed rather sip it to savor the taste.

A good choice only when your options are very limited like at a ball game or a bad party and you definitely want a beer.

dnjmed, Dec 11, 2009
2.3/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance has a light golden to it and a very thin head. Smell of grain, corn and light hops. Taste comes out very light in flavor with grain and corn and definately not having the triple hops to it. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. My first beer from a screw top aluminum pint, I had to try it for that at least.

Bookseeb, Dec 09, 2009
2.48/5  rDev +14.8%

16 oz Alum Can poured into pint glass

A: Light yellow, about a finger and a 1/2 head... Surprise it sticks around for the whole session... another surprise some lacing.

S: OK not a lot here little straw, bread and corn. Pretty generic beer smell associated with light American lagers.

T: OK it is a light beer so you are not expecting a lot and this delivers a lot of not much. Pretty flat and corny.

M: Light and crisp... not much more to say.

D: Easy to drink, low ABV.... you can pound away. But not an enjoyable session beer.

Hey it is a light beer what do you want.... Not the light I would go for out of the ones I've had... no favorite yet. Not the best and not the wosrt.

mralphabet, Dec 08, 2009
3.23/5  rDev +49.5%

Another Light Lager, ahem, excuse me, "Lite" Lager.

All aspects of this beer are to be as expected from the style. It is called a Light Lager because the drinker wishes to sacrifice flavor and alcohol content for fewer calories/carbs. Miller Lite tastes ever so slightly better than its B and C opponents but not making it justifiable to purchase Miller Lite if it was any more expensive than BL or CL.

mattwjones, Dec 06, 2009
2.88/5  rDev +33.3%

I was a Budweiser drinker for many years before getting into craft beers. I hadn't had a Bud in several months before buying a 24 oz bottle for rating purposes. At the same time, I also bought a 24 oz Miller Lite even though I did not care for Lite when I was drinking BMC. A couple of days ago I had and rated the Budweiser. Tonight, I rated the Lite.

Its funny, after several months of nothing but good microbrewery beers, you'd think your taste buds would have developed and you would notice a huge difference between Bud and Miller Lite. Nope, they tasted identical, like they came out of the same vat. I won't bore you with the details, read the Bud review if you are interested, they're the same down to the aroma. Neither beer is a bad beer, there are just a lot better out there. And I have to give some props to Miller Lite after all these years of neglecting it in favor of Budweiser.

kegger22, Dec 01, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -5.1%

For review #100, let's take it back to where it all began with my first beer.

A - A bold traditional amberish gold hits the eyes as this American Masterpiece is poured into the glass. A frothy, huge head billows its way up to the tip of the glass, a errant slip of liquid spills subtly over the side of the glass. The huge champagne-like bubbles lazily float to the top, as if they're dancing to a leisurely tune, or taking a nice stroll to the park to meet with their bubble friends. The head slowly dissipates into a nice conglomeration of beautiful lacing, as if someone painted it there. At least, that's what this would have looked like if someone hadn't taken a normal beer and watered it down to about a 1:100 beer to water ratio. Instead it's almost clear with some tinges of yellow, huge bubbles that rise to the top and pop, and a kind of slick oily look to it.

S - The triple hops brewed and strong American malts are cleverly hidden by the powerful smell of the US Heartland: CORN. Smelling this takes me back to the cornfields of Iowa, as cornhusk rolls over my knows in waves, I think back to farmers swapping stories about the weather and downing the cheapest, easiest beer they could find, often Miller Lite. You've come a long way baby.

T - The cool refreshing taste of water hits my tongue with the faintest, haunting taste of grainy beer entering the mouth, before disappearing forever. An excessive mouthful brings us back to the corn taste, as this wateringly refreshing brew goes down. Rumors of hops, malts, and even alcohol have been heard, but apparently on the the best of the beer connoisseurs are able to find those delightfully hidden treasures in this beer.

M - The large bubbles are the first hint that you're drinking something other than water, as they explode in your mouth and remind you that unlike water, this wasn't free. However like water, it's cool, light and refreshing, making it hard to tell the difference between the two.

D - So easy to drink, so quick to go down, just like water itself. Just make sure to check your container occassionaly, as you may have switched them without knowing it.

Here's to #100. Happy drinking!

AgentZero, Nov 25, 2009
2.65/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

Well, this is what it is. It is an American Light Lager. Cannot expect too much from a mass produced light beer. I would drink this one over most of the others. This beer pours with a good amount of head but beyond that it is very thin. Not much taste or mouthfeel at all. It is a very drinkable beer. But I typically drink for quality.

Brettster, Nov 20, 2009
2.5/5  rDev +15.7%

A) White head. I more or less eased the beer in the glass, unlike most of the beers I poor. It seemed right, given the style. Despite this, it has a 1/3" head that is almost billowy. Lacing all the way down and a continual cloud atop the beer. Light, straw golden color. Bubbles like a champagne ... how appropriate.

S) Light whiffs of thin corniness. Nothing that I can identify as hops.

T) A twinge of sweet and a pinch of bitter. For me, it is just barely detectable. Just registering on the radar. Takes a lot of concentration to pick-up much of anything. Watery and some more corn.

M) Thin and thin.

D) This is an interesting one. It is so inoffensive, so bland that you might think it deserving of a high ranking. It's super drinkable, right? I don't think of a 5 in "drinkability" as "super easy to drink" ... a 5 means it's too easy to drink. You keep coming back for more because there is something there that you like, coupled with the fact that it goes down easy. You want it and it's easy. So a 5? Nay (which is the sound a horse makes ... which is a beast that eats real grain, not corn and rice.)

Meek, meager, a continual string of apologies ringing in your ear, easily dismissed, easily forgotten if it registers at all. This is only offensive when you take time to reflect on it.

In all honesty, I think that this in not that far off from what a Lite American Lager should be, hence the higher score.

In keeping with that honesty, I have no idea what horses eats.

esv, Nov 09, 2009
2.55/5  rDev +18.1%

12 oz can poured into an American Tumbler. NOV3009 Date on bottom.

A - Totally clear pale yellow straw color with a loose white head. Effervescent and poorly retained, it lowers to a tiny ring with a bit of thin lacing on the glass.

S - Aromas of dry straw and lightly cooked corn with a hint of malt in the background. Crisp but no real hop aroma for it being "triple hops brewed".

T - Devoid of any real beer flavors, the taste protector lid must be defective. A bit of malts behind the corn flavor and no real hop flavor.

M - Light, light, light. Thin and watery with a carbonation finish.

D - Easy to drink and that's the key. No bad flavors cause there aren't really flavors. But could I put down a 12 pack in a night if I had to? Sure.

BeerFMAndy, Nov 08, 2009
2.2/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

24 oz. can into glass pint.

$2.99 / ea.

S: Corn, and lots of it. Just the tiniest amount of detectable hops. The scent is really weak, and gets weaker with time. It isn't so much "bad" as it is just almost nonexistent.

A: Big soapy head with a lot of retention. Good lacing. Bright light yellow body.

T: Corn, and just a little hops. More like a tea. It isn't bad, just boring and pointless. Like eating unflavored tofu.

M: Very light body, with low to medium carbonation. The body is just way too light for my preference.

D: Very good drinkability, and you are going to need every bit of it. At 4.1 abv you have to maintain a brutal pace to even know you are drinking beer.

O: Not bad if you have to drink it (like at a baseball game), and it really is my macro of choice, but it just can't compare to real beer.

dpnelson1978, Nov 08, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -19.9%

Yuck.

Looked bad, smelled bad, tasted bad, felt bad, drank bad. Not much else to say...Their triple hops brewing claim may make people think it's of quality, but it really sucks. Smells terrible. I'm assuming the hops they get are from a generic source, maybe impersonation hops product? Is there such a thing? I just don't understand how the can think that this stuff tastes good. People (if you can call them that), seem to think this stuff is awesome. They love it, which I don't get at all, but whatever floats your boat I guess. Either way, I find it hard to say anything positive about this beer when I have never had either a good time with it or a good memory of it.

GoalieRon33, Nov 04, 2009
1.88/5  rDev -13%

Apearance - Pours crystal clear with a slight straw yellow tint. 1 finger head quickly fades to nothing, but persistant carbonation.

Nose- Grain and corn with a hint of indistinct hops.

Palate- Very nondiscript. Slightly sweet with what just may be some hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel- Thin and watery with lively carbonation.

Drinkability- I could drink a few of these, but why?

wknight167, Nov 03, 2009
2.6/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Mmmm.... Triple Hops brewed. Except I can't taste any hops. Looks and smells like a typical adjunct, tastes a lot like carbonated water. Certainly not a bad flavor, just that there's not ANY flavor there. Good for parties, I guess. If I had to choose a light beer, tho, I'm going with Sam Adams light. The one upside to this is that it's very drinkable. But so is water.

feelmefoam, Nov 02, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -5.1%

I got this at a club and it was more pricey than Bud Light and it tastes JUST like Bud Light. It's not that great but it will do its duty if you want to get drunk. NOT a drink to have on it's own. Both this and Bud Light are lowsy beers because they have hardly any flavor at all. It's like having a soda water and I could not taste the hops in it.

steanu, Oct 28, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +21.8%

A cheap beer consumed in "honor" of a friend's birthday, as we didn't have anything else around.

A: I poured it into a glass just because I hadn't examined the looks of Miller Lite in quite some time. I was astonished at how absolutely close to being clear this beer is. Just the slightest touch of yellow, and no head.

S: So much for that "triple hops" brewing technique, as all there is to the aroma is some grain and corn. Alright, maybe an ever so slight hint of hops.

T: The taste is a bit more "robust" than other BMC products (especially of the "lite" variety), but that's not saying much. There is some actual grain taste and sweetness. Again, that "triple hops" brewing system must have been out of commission the day this batch was brewed...

M: Thin, light, and watery in terms of the body, and quite fizzy on the tongue.

D: This is drinkable in the way that water is drinkable (because that's mostly what it tastes like). I gave it the rating I did for drinkability because while you can certainly consume a lot of them due to their rather neutral flavor, I just wouldn't want to. At this point in my beer drinking life, anyway.

womencantsail, Oct 23, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +21.8%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pilsener glass.

Appearance is pale yellow gold with great clarity. A white foamy head that went away rather quickly leaving a little sticky lacing.

Smell is pretty basic. Just grains and a hint of hops.

Taste is a little more flavorful than most of the BMC beers that I've had but still nothing special. Some basic malts and grains but nothing special. The hops are certainly not present.

Mouthfeel is fairly carbonated and crisp. Light bodied.

Drinkability is great compared to the other adjuncts in my opinion. It goes down easy and is a good session beer if you had to choose one from this style. This was the first beer that I had ever had and I guess I kinda have a soft spot for it. But it doesn't compare to any of the craft beers I've had now, but something to turn to in a pinch.

MrStark, Oct 17, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from the 16 oz new style can bottle (Ordered at Bkini Beach Bar, Atlantic City) :

A: Pale yellow with a quickly dissipating head
S: Grain and feeble yeast
T: Grain water (no malt at all - so it is like
grains steeped in water)
M: Waterlike and very carbonated
D: What..?? OK !

BeerSingh, Oct 13, 2009
1.98/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Pours a bright yellow color with a wispy white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Not much going on here, smells of grains and weak hops. Not what I was expecting from the triple hops brewed beer that is Miller Lite.

T: Taste is of carbonation and grains.

M: The carbonation tickles the mouth in this one, and begins to burn when I chug it.

D: While not as good as Bud Light in this category Miller Light still has good drinkability, especially with the new freshness seal cans.

spartanfan, Oct 12, 2009
2.58/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle

A- Pours a very clear and light yellow color. Some people have said it looks like urine. I think it almost looks like a lighter colored ginger ale. 2 finger cloudy white head dies rather quickly after a sem-hard pour. No real lacing on the sides of the glass which I didn't expect to be honest.

S- Smells of sweetness to it. Although I must say this does smell a little better than Bud Light which I am not a fan of at all. Just a musty bready smell to this and really I can't complain this has to be the best smelling out of the 3 lights.

T- There is a underlying sweetness to this entire beer which I don't know if I like or not. Sweet bready malts come through the forefront of this beer and it has a distinct tartness to it. Not a good tart but a bitter tart at the end which I do not care for one bit. Has a light czech pilsner aftertaste but it's hardly noticable.

M- Very light mouthfeel to this. Carbonation levels were insane in the highness. Very watery feel in the mouth and left a semi-pleasant overly sweet czech style pilsner aftertaste and taste in the palate.

D- This is a very drinkable beer along with the rest of the big three. I wouldn't want to start off with one to be honest but I could finish one if need be. There is not much taste to this one which could be why it is so popular with the everyday crowd. I would rather drink a terrible IPA or Stout though than one of these.

alleykatking, Oct 01, 2009
Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.