Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
1.53/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This was free at a Lansing Lugnuts game. Have not had a Lite in at least a decade. Really debated reviewing this beer, reviewing macrobrews has the same snarky "dig me, look how far I've come" vibe as 12-year olds loudly playing in a little kids playground. What the hell, I'm snarky. Here we go.

Pours a faint yellow with a lot of meringue-y head on it. The smell is weak, weak, weak, thin, grainy.Picking up a hint of....MEOW MIX?

OK, here we go, down the hatch. Uch. Cheap grains, corn, rice....Is this what Meow Mix tastes like? No hint of alcohol. If a single hop was harmed in the making of this beer, I'd be very surprised. God, this is awful. But is also free, and would like to get a good buzz going. Must keep drinking. I guess I've stumbled on to the secret to Lite's success.

Thin and unsatisfying, obnoxious champagne bubbliness.

If you are reading this review, you are probably doing so to see if I make fun of Lite, and you don't need me to tell you it's a shitty beer. But I will say it anyway, Miller Lite is a shitty, shitty beer.

1.8/5  rDev -16.7%

Had this gem of a beer at my fantasy football draft. After my many complaints about the draft being to early before the regular season starts, the point breakdowns, and the league expanding from 10 to 12 teams, I figured the least I could do is not bitch about a free beer.

A) Consumed directly from the vortex bottle. I've lived in Wisconsin long enough to know what a Miller Lite looks like.

S) Not much on the nose at all. It's a combination of grain and water, bit of corn, slight sweetness.

T) This beer should only be served ice cold. I mean really ice cold. This is the only way to mask the unpleasant flavor. Sadly, this bottle was not ice cold. This allowed me to experience the watery, grainy, slightly sweet headache in a bottle. The finish is a tad
bitter, which must be the triple hops. Yeah, that's the ticket.

M) This is thin and fizzy.

O) What can I say about Miller Lite??? They gave us one of greatest beer ad campaigns of all time. The idea to use retired athletes and other celebrities to argue over the beer's qualities was great marketing. I still recall being on one side of gym during a game and yelling back and forth with the other side, Tastes Great! Less Filling!!! Good times... The answer however, is quite clear. This beer is less filling, because it tastes terrible.

3.2/5  rDev +48.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The clear amber color pretty much describes this beer. The intial and amorma is almost a skund beer that made the batch. Most mbe served ice cold to have any reedeming value. The head has a acrid bitterness to it that is not at all appealing. Overall a beer to avoid unless desperate.

1.52/5  rDev -29.6%

appearance: is by far the best pair of the beer, has decent head retention and is the standard for a see through pilsner

smell: reminds me of high school and vomiting

taste: It honestly tastes like they screwed up somehow, and the aftertaste is mild but unpleasant

mouthfeel: typical lite beer mouthfeel

overall: as bad as it is popular

Appearance: Straight pour into a pilsner glass. The color is a clean and clear very pale straw. A half-finger of light, white foam dissipated to leave a thin ring around the edge and a spot of lacing in the center.

Smell: Adjunct grain sweetness (it smells corn-based) and a little lemon. No sign of the three hops.

Taste: The first sip offers a nice beer bite to wake the taste buds (I did not drink anything before this), but it was also the last sip to offer anything close to complexity. Slightly sweet adjunct flavor and a tiny bit of citrus zest.

Drinkability: At least the bottle has a vortex neck so you can chug it faster.

2.34/5  rDev +8.3%

I'm supposed to be trying to loose some weight so I thought this is an area I could easily carve out some calories. I picked up a 12 pack of "vortex" bottles and decided I better not pour it into a glass but drink directly from the bottle. This was a good idea because Miller Lite looks like fizzy Ginger ale. Its ugly. Drinking from the bottle it has a refreshing beery taste and is aggressively carbonated. No sudsy mouthfeel here. You've got to chug this one right down. No aftertaste but sort of burns your throat. A good choice for drinking early in the day when you're playing horseshoes on the beach and enjoy burping with the guys. I wish MillerCoors would lose the gimmicky vortex bottle and labels encouraging texting to win prizes. In the end it is what it is. I'd buy it again but would advise never to pour it into a glass! See you when I drop 25 pounds!

3.6/5  rDev +66.7%

This is my new go-to beer. And I'm not even a light beer fan.

Average appearance with a soapy, bright white head that dissipates at a slow speed. The brew is a super filtered straw color.

The aroma smells no different than any other macro lager; some grain, corn, and that typical beer smell.

For the taste, it goes down very, very smoothly. It's smooth. You've got some sweet corn adjunct (but it doesn't have a cheap or stale taste to it), lots of carbonated and clean water, and then at the end - and slightly in the middle, but not by much - there is a tiny undercurrent of hops. However, this is a light beer, so whatever hops are there will just be dry and bitter-tasting, no floral or citrus notes, obviously.

This is one of the more flavorful light beers. However, if you want the fullest taste from a light beer, Coors Light has the most by a long shot.

It doesn't beat Coors Light, but it is good. I like Miller Lite a lot. It has no off-putting aromas or taste notes. I just simply can't understand all the bad ratings.

All in all, this is a light beer. Beer gurus shouldn't be reviewing it, because it's not meant to taste like fruit, chocolate, or pine trees. It's a light beer in high demand by the masses, which prevents it from being composed of high level ingredients. So what? Most food you eat is that way.

1.7/5  rDev -21.3%

Served in a pub glass from a bottle.

Very pale straw yellow color, very clear filtered look

no aroma noted

water like very light bodied

taste and looks like water.... no aroma... no head... i hear its very hard to make though and they get it the same every time... i guess that is one positive... oh and they do have good commercials!!!

2.29/5  rDev +6%

12oz can poured into a pint glass (for reviewing purposes)

Pours a clear yellow-gold with a mound of head and actually has decent retention. Smell is faint; grains but nothing else. Taste is weak grains and even weaker hops. The flavors here are so faint as to almost be nondescript. Highly carbonated, watery, and crisp.

There's very little here in the way of good. Very drinkable, but only if you don't mind the lack of flavor and enjoyability.

2.16/5  rDev 0%

From an aluminum bottle after a race.

I didn't have high hopes going into this and I wasn't let down. The faint aroma of grain alcohol failed to impress. The faint taste of grain alcohol, corn, and a hint of orange failed even more to impress. It's smooth but that's because it has almost no punch. This "triple hops brewed" is a nonsense gimick. It doesn't increase the flavor from the hops at all. I'm sure glad I didn't pay for this.

2.33/5  rDev +7.9%

A - One of the better looking macros, Straw colored with a bright white head that tries to stick around and a lot of bubbles.

S - Corn and grass, they claim triple hops brewed but I don't smell any.

T - I like it a bit better than a bud lite but still very unimpressive. Light corn and grains, if there are hops I can barely taste them.

M - Very light body with nice carbonation that feels good in your mouth.

O - There is nothing offensive about this beer, but nothing good either.

2.08/5  rDev -3.7%

Imported from my ratebeer.com profile - JAN 18, 2008

Pours a straw-like golden color with lots of carbonation and a bit of foamy head that dissipates to nothing. No lacing. Taste and smells of grains and sweet malts, very faint. Better than bud light, but only good for large quantity drinking. The fact that it has only 96 calories is nice, but I would almost rather drink water.

2.5/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Out for a chicken wings experience in Idaho Falls, and the 'craft beer' menu on the patio table sure seemed anything but...

This beer appears a clear, pale straw colour, with a thin cap of anemic white head, which leaves a bit of sparse streaked lace around the glass as things are glugged away. It smells faintly of sweet, almost sugary, rice grain, and a bit of dull acetone. The taste is more thin, sweet husky rice, oily, non-warming alcohol, and a bit of spectral skunky hops. The carbonation is moderate, the body thin and watery, the smoothness bang-on for the marketing committee. It finishes clean, a hollow airiness washing away any (albeit mild) remnant of what I just swallowed.

Not bad, it's pretty much spot-on for the style, an acceptable enough accompaniment to the boneless hot wings special, here in 'mehrca...

2.15/5  rDev -0.5%

I saw a sign that said 'free beer' when I purchased my wild boar burger at Fuddruckers so I took the chance to review a beer I would not pay for. served chilled in a clear plastic cup.

The color is golden, darker than I would have imagined, very clear with a thin white cap and fast moving bubbles. The smell is pretty tame, not really offensive as much as just faint. The smell does come off as slightly metallic as it gets beyond chilled closer to room temp. The feel is very light, so watery it is very carbonated and airy like corn-pops in the malt texture, just kind of a seltzery feel.

This taste is again as the smell promised, not much of anything - nothing terrible except the fact that it seems almost flavorless, gentle adjunct-type sweetness and slight hint of spice which could just be the high carbonation tricking my tastebuds. Overall I can't imagine a beer I would like to drink less of -just seems like the only thing it was good for was cleansing my palate after an order of chili-cheese fries.

Compared to Bud and Coors, this stuff is just aweful and I don't know how it manages to sell. It goes for the same price as the above mentioned beers but tastes like urine. I would honestly settle for a Keystone or Natty before allowing this stuff to enter my body.

2.48/5  rDev +14.8%

Not bad. Not too smooth, but a good appearance. Easy to drink and not bad price. I would take i over most light beers but by no means is it one of my favorites. Can get it anywhere that's why I have it most of the time. Smell wasn't too bad either. Overall pretty average.

2.09/5  rDev -3.2%

I've only commented on the color because I've seen this poured into a glass from a tap, so I know it's that color piss attains after you've had 4 or 5 beers...which means just the barest hint of yellow.

The smell might be the best part of the beer, full of sweet, roasted corn and the pale malts strike a balance with the grain that should not be in beer (the corn, in case you're not following along well).

Taste? Is that the point of this beer? I don't think so. Taste rarely enters into a light American macro-lager. What taste there is smacks of pureed corn watered down to the point where you can barely taste the corn. I had this in that stupid-ass vortex bottle. Since the swirling of the beer helps force it down your throat I wasn't sure if my gag reflex was triggered from the beer hitting my uvula first or the horrible off-flavors that develop as this beer gets warm.

Water seems to enter into my review a lot as I'm sure it does many others. The body is extremely light and almost as thins as water. When seriously cold the beer manages to be refreshing, which is not a horrible thing after mowing the lawn or working the grill. I've had worse (Bud Light and Coors Light), but not much worse.

So I recommend that you drink this ice cold and from the vortex bottle. That way the bottle can help force this down your throat before it warms to the point where you can taste all the horribleness inside.

2.22/5  rDev +2.8%

The beer is completely clear with a thin white collar that leaves minimal lacing. The aroma is typical of a macro lager, with sweet grain and corn. The flavor is fairly sweet, with a mediocre grainy taste. One of these is more than enough. Uninteresting and oddly sweet. The body is thin with a solid carbonation level. The finish brings more sweet grain, with a total lack of hop presence. Overall, I will never understand why the masses continually buy this beer.

4.26/5  rDev +97.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great light beer! I think it has a very distinct smell and taste. It is a balanced light beer which I am starting to think I like more than bud light. It seems to have much more flavor and body. Overall for a light beer would surely recommend! Enjoy all Advocates!!

2.1/5  rDev -2.8%

A- Pours a very light gold with a thin white head that recedes quickly leaving just a few bubbles.

S- Extremely weak all that comes through is a bit of pale malt sweetness.

T- Similar to the smell there simply isn't much here and what does come through is one dimensional light sugary malt. There really isn't much to write here as there isn't a whole lot, no off flavors at least.

M- Thin and watery but with a good carbonation. Nothing special but what one would expect from this style.

D- This beer has a feel, smell and taste all like lightly sweetened water, leading it to be capable of being consumed in large amounts but nothing interesting enough to keep me coming back.

2.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: light golden yellow with a 1 finger white head

smell: some hops, malts,

taste: very mellow crisp, clean,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin body,

overall: a very light beer that doesnt' offer much flavor. you can call this a lawnmower beer.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.58/5  rDev +65.7%

A - Mediocre head, light yellow color. Highly carbonated.

S - Corn, bread. Very subdued.

T - Corn, bread, and grain.

M - Undeniably light.

D - Very good. Another great example of an easy to drink American brew.

Miller Lite is not a craft beer. Therefore, judging it by similar standards not only displays inherent bias towards particular styles- it's undeniably moronic. To think that this classic American beer occupies the bottom of the list...

2.18/5  rDev +0.9%

Had at a BBQ after I had finished what I brought. Next time I need to bring a few more of my own.

A: Pale yellow/straw colored with a foamy white head that dissipates quickly. Little bits of lace form after taking a sip, but are gone pretty quickly.

S: Pretty muted, grainy malt, a bit of corn sweetness. No hops.

T: Some grainy malt and a bit more sweetness than the aroma. Where are the triple hops though?

M: Light bodied with high carbonation. On the watery side, but that wasn't too surprising.

O: Easy to drink, but only because there really isn't much to it. Not what I want to be drinking, but won't refuse it if there is nothing else and I am out with friends or at some sort of social event.

2.13/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a clear light yellow color with a 1 inch white head that fades to nothing. No lacing whatsoever. Smell is of watery grains and corn flakes. Taste is also of watery grains and corn flakes. Isn't this beer supposed to be triple hops brewed? I get no hop aromas or flavors at all. This beer has decent carbonation that makes for a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer but not as bad as some other light beers out there.

2.11/5  rDev -2.3%

The beer pours a brilliantly clear straw yellow with a moderate bright white head that quickly diminished to a thin skim. The aroma is moderately grainy, a bit of wet cardboard, and slightly sweet. The flavor is moderate grainy malt, very low hop bitterness with high prickly carbonation. The beer finishes quite dry with some lingering cereal like flavor. The body is thin and carbonation high. The flavor and aftertaste become more pronounced as the beer warms, not in a pleasant manner. Overall an effervescent, refreshing lager if drank quite cold, best not left to warm. There are obviously better options out there, but there are also much worse.

Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.