Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev +52.6%

Appearance is that of light yellow spring water, typical of this style. Smell is kinda bad, like spoiled ground water if there is such a thing. Taste is average for generic light beers. Mouthfeel is actually decent for this genre, not too sharp. Drinkability is very easy given the clean lightness of the contents. You could drink yourself sober very easily with this beer, a good regulator.

mashedpotatoes, Oct 09, 2007
2.65/5  rDev +23.3%

This beer pours a golden yellow, but very yellow with a short white head. The aroma is of all cheap beers, very low amounts of mild hops and a bit of malt. The two indredients are blended together pretty well, but since the taste is so bland that is not very hard to do. It has a nice carbonated feel to it because it does not have much flavor. I like this one better than most beers in its category and it's worth a try. The beer is a bit expensive, but it is worth a shot to see why it won as many awards as it has.

erosier, Oct 09, 2007
1.93/5  rDev -10.2%

Miller Lite is much like any other macro light beer. It tends to have a very clear, pale, golden color with a sweet smell and no real head to speak of. This beer's corn-like flavors aren't nearly as offensive as some of the others, and just like its chief rival, Bud Light, it has a refreshing carbonation. The overall effect is still a struggle and I really don't understand the point.

ShredVicious, Oct 05, 2007
2.45/5  rDev +14%

Miller Lite's great redeeming characteristic is that it tastes pretty much the same no matter how it's served to you. When I get drafts of Miller Lite, the appearance is almost always the same. No head. Slight bubbles.

Smell of Miller is of a typical lager beer, nothing really special here. Taste's the key here. Miller's taste seems to be more about the carbonation for me rather than the flavor. It always has that "twang" feeling every time that I take a sip until it fizzles flat at the end if I'm drinking at a leisurely pace.

Overall, Miller Lite's just yet another entry in the American light lager category. Nothing really distinguishes it apart from that 'over-carbonation' sense that you get from drinking it.

xare, Sep 26, 2007

Consumed a pint on-tap at a sportsbar in Spokane while watching the Washington Huskies take on Ohio State. I fortunately had to work, so I was able to leave just before the wheels fell off the Huskies' wagon. It was cheap at $2.50 per pint, so I decided to try it to pay my rent while watching the game, with an eye towards having money for Bottleworks when I hit there at the end of the month.

This was a clear, yellow color, with a modest, sudsy white head that dropped fairly fast, but not as fast as I thought it would (admittedly, I wasn't expecting much). No lace to speak of, apart form the occaision dot desperately clinging to the sides of the chilled glass.

The smell was of cold corn, but not as strong as I'd thought it would be, and wasn't skunky. More than anything else, it smelled inoffensively "beery", which is no doubt exactly what Miller had in mind.

The taste was pretty much like the smell. Inoffensively malty, it's dominant characteristic is that it has no character that anyone could take offense to, unless the drinker is expecting flavor.

Thin, vapid mouthfeel. No surprises here.

Believe it or not, I'd never had this before. Miller is my least consumed beermaker of the big 3, probably because I tend to associate it with a real a@#hole I used to know that drank MGD like it was going out of style. This is an excellent beer for drinking when you have other things to pay attention to besides beer. If I hadn't been in a sportsbar where my attention was riveted to college football, I'd never have drank this in the first place, but as a light beer it does what it's supposed to.

woemad, Sep 24, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +41.9%

Pint from Sinbad's in Pacific Beach

Pour was golden yellow with a brown hint

Small, 1/2 inch head that faded fast

Not much to the smell at all

Taste was nice and crisp for a light beer

Supposedly one of the best beers for you because of the low carbs, making it extremely light and amazingly easy to drink lots

Floydster, Sep 21, 2007
2.25/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz. from where ever poured into a pils

A: For lack of better wording...this really does look like piss. Only other way to describe the color is slightly darker than your average American light lager macro. Next to no head retention and very minimum lacing.

S: Not much. Lightly of corn.

T/M: FOR THE STYLE, I have to say this is probably the best tasting(Doesn't mean I have to give it a 5 :P ). Corn. Extremely light bodied. Way too much carbonation.

D: This is my session beer of choice. When I'm out dive hopping, this is the best. Could pound these all night without stopping.

pwoods, Sep 18, 2007
3.1/5  rDev +44.2%

Appearance - pours a crystal clear, extremely pale, straw-like color with a decent head that actually retains a bit longer than it's genre contemporaries. No lacing to speak of.

Smell - light grainy smell, husky, very very faint hop spicy aroma...

Taste - what taste? hah, jk...actually isnt that bad for a macro light lager to be honest. grainy flavor, very light, almost nonexistent hop presence, ...not too much to describe really.

Mouthfeel - Not as soda-like carbonation as a budweiser, but is pretty carbonated, very light, watery body, very smooth.

Drinkability - Not a bad beer in my opinion. It is what it is...a light macro lager. Sure, it may not have the depth, complexity, body, etc of a craft beer but that's not what they're aiming for. Very drinkable.

Doomcifer, Sep 13, 2007
2.78/5  rDev +29.3%

Well..."it is what it is"...and it's not that good. It's a light beer...and hardly a "beer"...but it's light and highly drinkable. Then again...so is water! It's smooth, yet grainy, a tad sour even, and watery. I believe this...If you're worried about calories/carbs...either don't drink beer, or drink LESS of your favorite "REAL BEER!" This is just an expensive alternative to beer. One of the better light beers, I guess...if there is such a thing. Too expensive, too, for what it is. You're getting less of EVERYTHING..(including alcohol content!) than most regular brews...so why do it?? I think it's more of a "social/popular" young person's brew than anything. Sure, I'm guilty of indulging occasionally....but VERY occasionally! Served ice cold, it IS refreshing to some degree, and smooth to down. Don't waste your money, though. Miller doesn't need it, and you could do far better for the price! SAAALUTE my BA friends!

musicjustintime, Sep 09, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +52.6%

This is just a macrobrew. We all know that. Made from corn, rice, straw, old mattresses, whatever. I know it's not going to be great but I have to say it's my favorite of all the light beers out there. If I feel like drinking a massive amount of beer this is the beer I choose. It tastes decent. It's VERY easy to drink. And it's only 96 calories a piece. It tastes better than Bud Light, Michelob Ultra, or anything else. I prefer Dunkels, Bocks, Stouts, and the like, but this is my 20-beer-in-a-day beer. The most drinkable beer around.

berserker256, Aug 31, 2007
2.05/5  rDev -4.7%

This beer pours a golden color right out of the bottle, with a very small and short lived head. There really is no smell to this beer and the mothfeel is very watery. which leads to a very weird honey taste. The after taste only makes you drink more so you will forget this beer or get drunk to not care anymore. Not the worst beer i've tasted, but by far nowhere near the best.

KodyBrannon, Aug 28, 2007
1.95/5  rDev -9.3%

While better than its Bud Lite counterpart, this beer leaves a lot to be desired.

Color is a pale yellow with minimal head.

Smell? Not much of one.

Taste is not god-awful for a macro light brew, but compared to "real" beer, the taste is not impressive.

Overall, this beer is good for hot summer days when you're cutting the grass, or when you need a beer to drink on gameday. Not terrible but definitely not one I seek out outside of gameday.

jdubjacket, Aug 26, 2007
2.48/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours a clear yellow color with lots of carbonation. Smells of grains and corn, slight smell of hops. The taste is not bad, but is nothing exceptional. I would take this over a bud light or coors light any day of the week. This is a light beer, but at least it has flavor. It is very drinkable, but nothing to write home about.

kguyty, Aug 25, 2007
3.43/5  rDev +59.5%

I'm having one left over from a ballgame. I've had alot of these over the years. For what it is, it's good, out of the big 3 lites this is the one that I prefer. It's the only big lite beer that has any flavor. When given some nice treatment and poured into a pilsner glass the beer actually looks nice, it has color and leaves some lacing.
Body is a sparkling gold topped off with a foamy white head. Aroma is of faint hops. Taste and Mouthfeel is watery, clean, crisp , and light with a touch of hops.
Overall , this is a thirst quencher meant to have cold and out of a can or bottle. One could drink these all day, they are inoffensive and have some flavor.

KevinB, Aug 25, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +62.8%

This is not a fancy beer.

This does not pretend to be a fancy beer.

It is a light yellow color and smells like corn and sweetness. Very drinkable, unlike other American macros (Bud Light). I pick this up occasionally and always know what to expect : a thirstquenching beer with no pretensions.

Guardian, Aug 22, 2007
2.9/5  rDev +34.9%

Pours out a gold color with some carbonation and head, but nothing out of the ordinary for a light beer. The smell is of regular hops, not much going on. Not offensive, but not impressive either. The taste is refreshing and smooth, but lacking in hops and alcohol as most light beers are. Not too much malt or hops flavor, but there is a bitter after taste. Feels pretty carbonated in your mouth, but you could probably down a good case pretty quickly because of its light and flavorless nature. Overall, probably one of the better light beers, but still lacks what you would call a "good beer". Miller Brewing did a good job making a beer that the every day consumer would drink, but probably not up to par for a serious beer lover.

zerofear13, Aug 17, 2007
2.53/5  rDev +17.7%

A: Clear, Pale and Watery. Foamy head.

S: Weak. Kinda corny.

T: Real weak. Why bother? What little taste there is, taste like corn, not beer.

M: Watery. No character at all. Kinda fizzy.

D: Everyone else says that drinkability is the only strong suit in a Domestic Macro. I don't even find this stuff very drinkable. I always end up feeling crummy, especially the next day (do they put laxative in this stuff?).

Overall: Seriously, why bother? I'm not just being mean. If your just trying to get hammered, drink a few shots or something. Maybe drink one of those flavored malt beverages, at least it has some flavor.

lawman834, Aug 16, 2007
2.83/5  rDev +31.6%

A: Pale golden body. 1/2" white head that didn't last long & left little lacing.

S: Light aroma. It didn't smell like much.

T: Didn't taste like much either. Not offensive though, as some macros tend to be.

M: Light body and overactive carbonation leaves it a bit fizzy.

D: Goes down easy since there's really nothing to it - but why drink something so flavorless unless your objective is to drink for hours upon hours without falling into a coma?

OKCNittany, Aug 12, 2007

24 oz. can,

A: Pale yellow, with a dissipating, artificial looking white head, with horrible retention in a pint glass.

S: Basically nonexistant, a light hint of corn.

T: Terrible, tastes like old tepid bath water, mixed with soap and soaked in cornmeal for an hour. I've had bad light beers before, but this one takes the cake. I'd rather have it taste like nothing, like Coors Light or Natty Light, at least then it would be easier to drink. There's no taste of the choicest hops that they mention on the label.

M: High in carbonation, seltzery, spritzy, no substance to it.

D: A terrible beer, this will be my lowest review on this site. I know I'm ranting, but my body had a bad reaction to this overprocessed crap. Save your money and buy a real beer, or least a Bud Light, which for a light beer is not horrible. True pilsner? Yeah right, drink a fuckin' Czechvar or Urquell if you wan't a real pilsner, in conclusion, the worst beer I have ever had. This is the antithesis of beer, everythng we been striving for, going back to tradition for 9000 years, there's no need to drink this shit.

Halcyondays, Aug 12, 2007
3.3/5  rDev +53.5%

I just kind of figured I'd give this a try. Keep in mind, I'm reviewing it for style; if I was reviewing it based on more legitimate or comprehensive standards the score would be far lower.

Appearance: Poured out a fairly clear, though slightly yellow, liquid. It's more "beerlike" than either Coors Light or Bud Light, so I give it points for that. It looks like a typical macro, though just a bit more clear.

Smell: Again, typical macro. Corn and alcohol fill the nose. Not too much going on here.

Taste: Corn and sweetness, though certainly should not be confused with sweet corn! I assume the sweetness has to come from whatever little malt is apparent; I could not taste any hops in this brew. More taste than the offerings of Bud and Coors, though again, this is not something to be terribly excited about.

Mouthfeel: Just nonexistent. Very thin and watery, though the alcohol does provide some bitterness to keep you from drinking this like water.

Drinkability: I rate the drinkability of this as high. At just about 4.2% alcohol, it's possible to drink a lot of these. Combine this with the thin profile, and it's possible to consume a lot of these and a lot of hot dogs (or your grilled cuisine of choice) in one sitting. Just take that recommendation with a grain of salt, though, because you'd be better off drinking a lot of something more tasty.

Overall, this is probably the best "light" offering of the three main macro producers. I still think that PBR Light is a superior light offering, though it's nowhere near as ubiquitous as Miller Lite.

brjr508, Aug 10, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +90.7%

Keep in mind that this review is about the style, not my personal tastes.

Pours deep yellow, lots of head that runs away like cockroaches when the light's flicked on. Better color than most macros I've seen.

Corn and sweet maltiness; could not detect hops

Sweet and corn once again, but at least it has some kind of flavor. Like I said, great for the style.

Fizzy and thin in my mouth.

Great drinkability. Drink it cold and fast. It's what it's for. This is the beer I pick if I find myself in unfortunate bmc-only situations.

bboven, Aug 05, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +68.8%

While it may not be the most popular or best selling light beer in America, Miller Lite is definitely the best tasting. That point cannot be argued. As far as light beers go, Miller presents us with much more taste and mouthfeel than other leading light beers. The only light beer that can rival it is Sam Adams Light. I am a big fan of paying for and drinking better beers, however, if I plan to drink all night (maybe a little in excess) the beer that I choose is one that I can handle a lot of and enjoy the taste: Miller Lite.

BDIMike, Aug 05, 2007
1.25/5  rDev -41.9%

Not a good beer at all. Not even in the Top 5 light beers IMO

Clear as water and really doesn't have a taste. The last time I remember drinking a few of these, I had a massive headache the next day.

Steer clear!!

I think the masses flock to this mainly thanks to clever marketing more than anything.

Chodite, Aug 02, 2007
2.68/5  rDev +24.7%

One of the better light macro brews on the market. In the overall beer spectrum, not great, but if you need a lot cheap beer with a decent taste, Miller's the way to go. Pours a light, almost clear, yellow and offers little in the way of aroma. If you are in to light macro brews, this is the way to go.

WillieMoe, Jul 31, 2007
1.63/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a faint yellow color with no head. A slight sweetness in the nose, and the same in taste. It is a clean beer, with no aftertaste. I do not say I like this beer, but there is not much to say. Smooth and does not have a major taste profile. I guess that is why the masses drink this, but it is non offensive.

OWSLEY069, Jul 26, 2007
Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.