Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
1.27/5  rDev -40.9%

The rumors are true; this is an awful beer. The first thought that came to mind was beer flavored water; this beer is so pale that it almost looks like water. This is a very light beer that tastes downright bad -- or for that matter does not really have much taste at all.

This is beer for those who do not like beer, the only time I would ever drink this beer is if it was offered free of charge (free beer is always good).

speedy3d, May 28, 2006
1.05/5  rDev -51.2%

The most pale color I've ever seen, almost seems to have no color, white head for a moment, leaves no lacing. Smells slightly flowery with strong astringency, I just can't find anything good about it. Astringent taste, hops present, but what kind, these seem like they have been altered. I would expect Saaz hops, these just seem terrible. Lower carbonation, extremely light body. I couldn't finish one of these, glad I got the can from a friend, but seriously give me a Pabst anyday.

badbeer, May 24, 2006

Light Yellow color with a small white head. Putrid, sickening aroma of algae, mop water, green plants and pale malts. Torturous, unrelenting flavor. I could barely choke down this stuff. I’ve now tried and rated Bud Light, Coors Light and this stuff, and this is by far the worst. I’d rather drink ocean water.

Crosling, May 22, 2006
1.8/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This is my typical choice when I am out and the only options are the "big 3". Pours a golden straw color with lively carbonation and a decent head with little retention. Taste is better than most in the American light lager category but nothing to write home about.

cjgator3, May 15, 2006
1.9/5  rDev -11.6%

Had a work happy hour on Friday. The boss seemed very pleased when they rolled out the keg of Miller Lite.

Marginally more taste than Bud Light, but I still wouldn't call it that good. Did have a bolder appearance than Bud Light and Coors Light, but the color seemed to be a little artificial, kind of an orange color. Thin fizzy head that didn't last. Harsh feeling on the tongue from too much carbonation.

Overall not impressive.

sammy44, May 15, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +80.5%

Miller lite... ahh my first "true" love (whatever that is). I must say this is my favorite beer in this range primarily because it actually has a beer flavor rather than a water/piss flavor. The appearance is by far the best of this range, slightly darker yellow than most domestic light beers. Little lace is left behind by this beer but enough to satisfy a moderately undiscriminating beer drinker, or at least someone who keeps in mind the quality of this beer. The taste is slightly bitter with some sweet overtones. I actually like the aftertaste but it fades quickly. the mouthfeel is thin, but that is to be expected from a light beer. You can drink this beer all night if you can handle it because it does go down nicely and continues to taste good. If you drink another domestic light beer try this out, you may be suprised, if you don't drink domestic light beer, you rock.

uabigdaz, May 08, 2006
1.75/5  rDev -18.6%

Lite is just another offering in the vast stable of American Macro brews, and my rating reflects that.

The apperance is pale yellow with a decent head, but it is clearly more water than beer. The smell is almost non-existant, the faintest whiff of malt is there, but I think it was mainly because I was looking for it.

Taste and mouth are both bland. The taste is just water with the slightest hint of malt, the mouth is non-existant...no hops kick, no creaminess, it's just there and carbonated, which isn't good enough in my book.

The only thing it can rate average on is drinkability, and that is only because drinking this is like drinking water. It is so watered down that it becomes quaffable, not that I would want to.

The bottom line is that I had some of this because it was free, and I still felt that I'd made a bad choice by leaving store brand Root Beer in the cooler and having it.

CortexBomb, May 07, 2006
1.85/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Appears a fizzy yellow tone with a large bubbled white head leaves thin fine lacing. Aroma is full of cereal grains straight from the corn, rice, and barley categories some light hop character thrown in but overall uninteresting to me. Taste at least attempts to have a hop profile as the "true pilsner" this beer claims to be great for mass consumption low sweetness very light bitterness pretty clean overall. Mouthfeel is light carbonated water esque with a carbonation factor that tickles the throat. Drinkability hot summer cookout with friends it's safe other than that steer away from this one, if your looking for a great taste. Good commercials at times...hand me a Sunshine Pils.

WVbeergeek, May 06, 2006
2.28/5  rDev +6%

For starters, people you have to remember what you are drinking here. Its cheap, therefore your standards should be thrown out the window when rating it. I tend to only drink this beer when i'm in either A) a bar that serves nothing but the common American beers or B) out fishing w/ a few friends and knowing we are only going to go drink. Most of my friends do not drink the good stuff so we have to settle on something like this. Now, drinkability, I don't like this stuff for the most part and would never buy this to enjoy a beer, but weighing it against its competitors, its a little better than the bud lights & coors lights of the world. I choose this beer out of the options when going fishing w/ the buddies. Then, I shotgun every other can and this beer seems to be a good shotgun beer. As far as appearance, its yellow pee color w/ a light head (typical for the type). Taste is watery w/ little flavor & carbonated. Though, it shotguns easy so I made it a 2.5 and drinkability is higher b/c of that as well. When drinking this beer... Just go get drunk and catch a fish or something people... but don't buy it to enjoy during a football game or eating dinner.

beeroclock, May 06, 2006
2.3/5  rDev +7%

Ok, so this beer is not good...

A- Straw yellow color, little to no head, a bit of lacing when you tip the glasss
S- Well, maybe some malt... maybe
T- On tap, so it shouldn't taste like skunk, right- some malt flavor, very watered down, skunked aftertaste
M- its fine, light on the tongue, but it doesn't have any carbonation left
D- At a keggar, sure it could be drinkable but not to be enjoyed

supercolter, May 05, 2006
1.23/5  rDev -42.8%

I am sorry. I just can't do this. I can't drink this beer.

Even thought it pours a clear light corn color with a fairly decent head, I just think it smells and tastes skunky and wrong.

For a macro, this has to be the most offensive to me. There is a slight corn flavor with little to no hops and it leaves a rather unpleasant aftertaste.

This beer is just not drinkable. Sad to say, I would rather just drink water.

PuckLSHS, May 04, 2006
1.68/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a three finger, white head that quickly fades leaving some lacing. Insipid pale yellow color. Very light carbonation and very light bodied. Faint skunky nose. Has a tinny watery flavor, faint hops in the background, good lawnmower beer if you can stand the tinny flavor. $4.99 for a 6-pack from Market Basket Concord, NH. Needed to buy this stuff for a party, amazing how quick it goes!!

jdhilt, Apr 30, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +68.8%

Less of a beer and more of a way of life/business mandate for me. My occupation demands that I drink this often and in mass. When I’m out with work people (even at a good beer bar) I frequently have to stick to ML or perhaps High Life in order to keep up. Work sometimes dictates that I drink more than 10 beers in a night and I can down 10 MLs and still be sober. Try that with any craft and you’re toast. I don’t usually mind it too much, ML in the bottle makes for a decent session. If it’s ice cold and in a can it’s reminiscent of a camping or fishing trip for me. Either way it’s ok. On tap is a different story. ML on tap is just piss and indigestion in a glass. Forget about it even when it’s free. ML looks like corn colored piss. It tastes like water and pilsner malt when ice cold and corn syrup when cold to warm. It smells the same as it tastes. It doesn’t give much of a buzz. It IS LESS FILLING! It’s way better than bud light, that’s for damned sure. Since we are supposed to review “within the style” here on BA, I’ve gotta give this beer props. It’s about the best you can do in this pathetic style.

DaPeculierDane, Apr 21, 2006
2.4/5  rDev +11.6%

I had several free Miller Lites, recently, at a wedding reception. The appearance is not great. It is pale yellow, with next to nothing for a head. The smell is fairly standard for a mass-produced domestic lite beer, that is to say, it doesn't wow you with a great aroma. It smells like a college party. The taste is okay. It is very light. It can be very drinkable, especially when its free.

I will say this about Miller Lite, compared to Bud Light and Coors Light, I think it is far superior.

zeff80, Apr 20, 2006
3.43/5  rDev +59.5%

Pours a clear bleached out straw color. Starts with a fizzy white head that fades quickly. Lace is not present.

Smell is faintly floral and grainy.

Taste is slightly sweet and semi-metallic. The highly active carbonation seems to numb the tongue. Crisp, clean and slightly dry on the finish.

Light bodied, thin mouthfeel. Very active carbonation. Very drinkable, nothing about this beer is offensive or notable for that matter.

I have to admit that I probably buy 5 or 7 cases of this every year. It is perfect for canoeing or fishing trips. I don't mind as much if it gets spilled in the canoe or boat.
I save the better beers for when we beach our canoes or take the boat back to shore.
It does have it's place. As light lagers go, it does seem to have a bit more flavor than your average macro "light".

EvilKeith, Apr 16, 2006
2.17/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours crystal clear pale yellow with fast blooming large bubbled head that disappears to nothing quickly
Aroma is very pale malts...not much smell at all.
Taste is pale malt with pale hops followed by 'beer' aftertaste....drying and slighty sour.
Mouthfeel is similar to water.
Great thirst quencher when water isn't enough but beer would be too much.

IntriqKen, Apr 16, 2006
1.58/5  rDev -26.5%

12oz. bottle that I got at a local bar. Someone else bought it for me, so I lost nothing.

The beer was the usual Light Macro color of straw yellow color with a small fizzy white head. What seperated this one was the fizzy head of foam dissipated into small traces of lace around the glass. There wasn't much of an aroma (I'm not surprised), except for the faint smell of watery malt and that's it. It had a complex taste of corn, rice, other grains, and water. The kind of taste that I expected to be in this and the kind of taste you really don't want in a beer. The mouthfeel was flavorless, light, and of course watery! I did expect the light, but it could at least have some kind of flavor. It was ok for a light cheap beer and might make a nice summer light drink. They are right when they say it's less filling.

AltBock, Apr 15, 2006
2.1/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a 12oz. aluminum can into a pint glass. Appearance is a clear straw-colored bright yellow, thin white fuzzy head fell quickly to the slightest white lacing. Smell is weak grains, slight maltiness with practically no real aroma whatsoever. Taste is watery, slight appreciable hop flavor, might consider a slight step up from the average light macro. Easy drinking moderate carbonation, low abv, very cheap. This beer is easily my favorite national brand light beer, which isn't saying a whole lot, but it is easily tolerable compared with it's direct competition. Might purchase for certain occasions, maybe as house stock for friends who don't appreciate better beer.

danielocean03, Apr 08, 2006
1.73/5  rDev -19.5%

The only beer at a party so I had to drink it if I wanted beer. Out of the can, clear almost like water. Taste was hard to distinguish from water. The tiniest bit of malt, perhaps, no hops. It's hard to rate something that is nonexistent. I would drink this as a thirst quencher, ice cold if I were dying of thirst and nothing else was available. THere's an old joke that goes like this; what do sex in a canoe and light beer have in common? They're both f---ing close to water. This beer fits the description.

kwakwhore, Apr 07, 2006
2.68/5  rDev +24.7%

The beer is a light yellow beer, with a thin consistency. It's a nice beer for hot days watching baseball or just hanging out. It's nice when you want a beer but it is hot and sticky out so you want something that has a thin thickness. It's watery, but refreshing. As long as you aren't looking for a beer to savor, and you just want something more than water. It has a little bit of a metal flavor, but is still a cool, refreshing beer.

seanmhogan, Apr 04, 2006
2.85/5  rDev +32.6%

poured from a 40 oz bottle into a glass

A- well uh, it was yellow. very yellow. looked like carbonated urine. the head was white, for about 10 seconds and then disappeared.

S- smelled like corn and metal, so far so bad.

T- surprising, actually. this isn't as bad as i would have thought it would be. okay it was very thin and not very flavorful, but then again i wasn't expecting it to be. so in that regard it beat my expectations. i cant describe the taste but there was no taste!

M- ultra thin and smooth. kind of like water.

D- this beer is very easy to drink. almost too easy, if you get my drift. this is a beer of last resort for me. if i'm totally unhappy with the selection a bar has, i may order one but that's the only scenario in which i see myself drinking this again.

acarroll413, Mar 19, 2006
2.03/5  rDev -5.6%

New local pizza shop only has this on tap and four sodas which I didn't want. So WTF right it is only Lite I've had it many times before it can't be that bad. Wrong it can be by itself, but with a slice of pie the beer comes alive, it seems to by enhanced by the corn meal dusted crust of the pizza. I order a second to finsh off the pie and then as I sip this beer and try to think about it and taste it on its own I shudder and resort to my heavy drinking days and chug the beer as quickly as my throat will let it pass.

Looks crystal clear straw color with a head that goes to nothing quickly. Smells of boiled corn and some sort of household cleaning solution. Tastes of practically nothing, it is the taste I associate with a macro produced lager and I must say it still makes me cringe just a little. Mouthfeel I might as well as be drinking carbonated water, a coke or pepsi has more body. Damn drinkable if you don't mind the taste and with a slice of pie it will do.

Higravity, Mar 15, 2006
1.9/5  rDev -11.6%

A bottle found at the back of the fridge. No date or pricing info available. Must be leftover from a party. I know I didn't buy it!

Pours a very pale straw yellow with an initial white head of big bubbles, within a minute, down to the thinnest of covers. A few bubbles lazily make their way from the bottom of the pint glass.

Aroma is a general sweetness- but above it, around it, behind it, underneath it, is this aroma (coming from the hops) that is just nasty. Weak, but harsh, if you know what I mean.

Flavor is weak. Minimal malt/grain profile to discern, and the hop skunkiness is the main player. This isn't terrible, but lord, it's not good. Watery mouthfeel, like the beer is cut with an additional 50% water.

Easy to drink if thirsty, and it probably goes down on a hot day, but this is the first time I've had this beer in many years, and I sure didn't miss it!

Dukeofearl, Mar 15, 2006

So it pours out a light yellow fizzy beer. Not very impressive, but not horrible. Smells very faint hints of what are pilsner type hops. It doesn't really taste bad. It doesn't have the delicious hop I love to find in taste. It just tastes too watered down, but it is a bit refreshing, and much better out of the bottle. Unlike some other macro light lagers that I think taste tinny and too artificial. The mouthfeel is fine. Light and refreshing. It just doesn't have enough to keep me interested to drink it for long.

cracgor, Mar 12, 2006
3.4/5  rDev +58.1%

I think to be fair - you have to take into account you are reviewing a lite beer and that it is supposed be like it is....

As a light beer this is my favorite with Amstel a second - and Coors Light a distant third.

No head --- pale yellow color - not a lot of taste (more than coors light or bud lite) blah blah blah

Take it for what it is a beer to eat buffalo wings with or to wash down that bacon cheeseburger.

Walsar, Mar 07, 2006
Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.