Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
2.42/5  rDev +12.6%

Had a mug of this at a local diner. It was the only thing on tap and cost $1. I thought, "What the hell, I can't remember the last time I had this, and I can rate it for Beer Advocate!"

Man, this beer is lighter than even the lagers I'm used to having. It looks like light yellow water with a large, but very unsubstantial head. Quite carbonated, thanks to the tap, I guess.

Its smell is very light. Just a hint of grain and maybe a teeny note of hops.

The taste surprised me because it wasn't bad. Just very, very light. Maybe I didn't taste any off flavors because I was drinking it extra cold.

As far as light beers go, this one is OK. With its light taste and body you could drink a ton of 'em, which I guess is Miller's point.

Shaw, May 30, 2004
1.95/5  rDev -9.3%

There are several Big Questions for many Americans: Ford vs. Chevy, apple pie vs. cherry pie, Betty vs. Veronica, Red Sox vs. Yankees and McDonald's vs. Burger King. Where one sits on these most important questions of our times speaks volumes about one's character and good sense. Loyalty to one or the other often runs strong and deep with many a long night in a dimly lit bar spent arguing the merits of one particular side.

With that in mind, I decided to answer, for myself, another of the Big Questions, namely Bud Light vs. Miller Lite. Neither has much to recommend it, but one has to be better, er... less bad... doesn't it? My Bud Light review is already 'in the can' so to speak, so here we go with the Miller.

Absolutely clear, pale straw. The head is very nearly cotton white and actually seems to have some substance to it. It's not that impressive, but it is more dense than I expected. A little lace is actually beginning to stick to the upper reaches of the glass. The smell isn't impressive, but neither is it offensive. Mildly toasted grain is about it. The taste is sub-par, but isn't as nasty tasting as the Bud Light was. Slightly sour grain with a mild bitter bite is about all that I can appreciate.

The mouthfeel is thin, watery and overly fizzy. In other words, it's a lite/light version of a macro lager. I will never buy this beer again and would have second thoughts about drinking it if nothing else was available. That said, I'd at least be able to get it down and keep it down, unlike Bud Light. So there you have it. Miller wins the battle of the lightweights, although that isn't saying a whole helluva lot.

Oh yeah, the answers to the questions posed above are: neither one, cherry, Veronica, ML baseball can kiss my fed up, disillusioned ass, and Wendy's.

BuckeyeNation, May 24, 2004
3.18/5  rDev +47.9%

Not a bad beer, not a good beer, but not a bad beer. Best of the big three in taste and drinkablility. It's a good session brew for the price, and one hell of a good fall back beer. Not a brew for a fine lobster meal, but it gets the job done after a hot days work.

cptnjck101, May 17, 2004
2.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance - pours a pale, sparkling yellow into a beer mug. White fizzy head never exceeds a half-finger. A few bubbles hang out on the surface. On a hot day this could look appealing, otherwise lower your expectations mightily.

Aroma - stale grain at first develops into a light sweet corn. One of the few beers that I really prefer not to sniff. Just nothing pleasant here. Reminds me of those parties of my youth, when you woke up the next morning and had to clean up the party site, cleaning up cups half-full of warm, flat, beer, this one kinda smells like that almost right outta the can.

Taste - weak malts, diluted corn actually, lots of bubbles, giving it a club soda saltiness, probably helps to mask the absence of any hops. The colder this beer is imbibed, the better, mid-30s would be ideal. Aftertaste is a salty, stale grain taste with just a touch of sweetness. Again, palatable at best if icy cold, but approaches undrinkability fast as it warms, I find myself not enjoying the last few chugs.

Mouthfeel - thin, crispy, very carbonated. For a thirst quencher, it fits the bill, but otherwise has no character and offers no help to the overall profile.

Drinkability - I bought this 12-pack thinking someone in our sand volleyball league liked it, but I was wrong. IMO, it's not really a good summer beer if you plan to have it in play for more then ten minutes. It gets nasty as soon as it climbs into the upper 40's in temp. Perhaps it was the inspiration for beer funneling. Better as a winter party beer, a football game when it's nice and cold outside, ice fishing, intramural curling leagues, those kinds of things.

brewdlyhooked13, May 13, 2004
2.78/5  rDev +29.3%

Had this with pizza as Bud Lite was also served and I thought id see if there was any difference. It poured a clear straw-like yellow-gold with a fair one-inch white head. Carbonation is up so some fizz aids in taking the head to a very thin film, if at all. Lace is in small spots, to nothing. The aroma is grain, can-like, not sweet. The taste is also grain, semi sweet corn with a citric hop note that pretty faint. The mouthfeel is left with a dry metal feel, again perhaps the can. Drinkability was just ok. Nothing i'll turn down if offered and its priced reasonable. Not one i'd keep in my home stock. As for the Bud Lite, I thought Miller did a better job. The appearance is not as watery, the head show's up, and you get some citric taste backed by the corn, where-as AB tends to skunk it up abit. A true Pilsner beer, ha, ok perhaps.

chilidog, May 02, 2004
1.93/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

24 oz. bottle.

Grainy and thin with little to no characteristics of beer. This is the only macro I'll drink draughts of besides Bass, but the bottle is far too thin -- even for this beer -- in body, smell, and flavor. Hints of graininess touched with a digested hoppiness. This is the trendsetter for swill.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Apr 27, 2004
2.2/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Piss in a glass with a small head that dissipates quickly.
Smell: Light malt smell.
Taste: Crisp and light. There isn't much to it. It can be refreshing at times.
Mouthfeel: Boring.
Drinkabilty: This is may be the most drinkable macro out there, but you get what you pay for.

jvajda, Apr 26, 2004
2.15/5  rDev 0%

The pour was a light yellow with just a hint of head that peeked at you and said, "Here I am, just kidding!" None the less it quickly dissapated to absolutely nothing.

The smell was the only saving grace to this swill. A mix of light floral with a grainy/malty hint in the back of the nose.

The taste started like water, had a middle like water and finished like soda water. But even through all of the water it left a strange mix of very light hop spice with wood in the mouth at the end.

It was fairly refreshing and would make a descent lawnmower beer. But why pick this for lawnmowing with so many more tasteful choices out there.

coasterfreak75, Apr 08, 2004
2.33/5  rDev +8.4%

I had free drink coupons on Southwest, so what the hey...

This lite beer can says it's 96 calories. I poured it into a plastic cup.

It pours a pale orange, or maybe yellow with a tint of orange. Definitely darker than the Fosters I had on my other flight. The beer has 1-3mm of head that quickly apologizes for its existence by disappearing without even so much as a little lace. Hark! Who goes there? Am I hallucinating a hop aroma? I think I am! Elusive thing, though, I couldn't pick it up later on in the tasting. I had a Westy 12 about 2 hours early, is it possible that some of that nectar was still in my mouth until it was washed away by the Miller Lite? We may never know unless I get more free drink coupons.

On tasting, the only thing I could pick up at first was the deadening cold and the intense carbonation stinging my taste buds. When I recovered, I could start to sense some light malt. This too was ephemeral. Bitterness was minmal to mild. Body was light, but not completely watery. Not impressed overall, but I was pleasantly surprised with the hint of aroma and malt.

oggg, Mar 29, 2004
1.93/5  rDev -10.2%

Probaly the darkest color light beers amongst the macros, could literally not distinguish a molecule of arom. It seemed highly charged with carbonation. There actually was some substance to the taste, detected a corn malt sweetness and just a hint of hop aftertaste. Besides Sam Adams, its probaly the fullest and tastiest of the lights, but so what.

grynder33, Mar 21, 2004
3.18/5  rDev +47.9%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is decent, for a light beer that is. It has a light malt scent with little or no hops. The is a small amount of lager yeast aroma. The taste is average. It has a watered down malt flavor with a bitter skunky finish. It refreshes on the way down, but this beer is for amatuers. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with lots of carbonation. This beer is about average as far as these types of beers go. It one and done for me. I prefer Michelob light to this.

WesWes, Mar 19, 2004
2.15/5  rDev 0%

I think i'll start my beer reviewing career at the bottom, and work my way up. As such, i'll begin with Miller Lite and the ilk. I drank this brew from a St. Bernardus chalice, hoping it would make this canned beer have some appeal at an unconscious level.

This watery pilsner makes me sad when I consider that this type of beer represents the great country of America. Though I prefer Miller over, say, Bud Light or Coores Light, this is still a last-resort type beer...or something I'd only drink from a keg when I had $5 to spend and wanted to get wasted.

On the plus side, i did put it before other macro's because of its slightly sweeter taste and slight hop presence. (stressing the word slight).

In all, not much can be said about Miller Lite that hasn't already be stressed in detail by other, more concise reviews. But accept Miller Lite as it is. This beer will be around for decades, I guarantee it!

SurlyDuff, Mar 12, 2004
2.5/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a standard Macrobrew yellow.

Smell is sweet with some malt smell. Mild grain and a whiff of flowers maybe?

Taste is actually present! Tastes mildly sweet with some grain and earthy flavors.

Mouthfeel is present, not great but it beats the last 4 Light beers I tasted.

Drinkable, It is not GREAT but it beats everything I have tasted except Sam Adams Light.

Zorro, Mar 10, 2004
2.38/5  rDev +10.7%

I wasn't impressed with this beer once again i put my faith in believing all the hype but turns out its just another light macro. Its too watered down in fact i had this beer for the first time before i hda an amste light and my amstel light almost tasted like the most flavrofilled beer in the world. Just a regular light beer, bland and simple to the taste.

JoEBoBpr, Mar 03, 2004
2.42/5  rDev +12.6%

Miller Lite is probably the best of the Lite beers, but that is not saying much. The appearance is a straw yellow with a smell sorta fruity. The taste is not bad actually, tastes like apricot sort of. I could drink a lot of these on a hot sticky summer day, not bad as far as the cheap beers are concerned.

beertaster13, Feb 17, 2004
2.58/5  rDev +20%

This is my favorite BUDMILLERCOORS product. However, it is not a sipping beer. It is a beer that I don't mind drinking when someone offers it to me at their home. The beer is yellow and has not head. It is light in taste, with a light hop character that is detectable in the nose and the taste. It is light, refreshing, and drinkable.

Maestro, Feb 12, 2004
2.6/5  rDev +20.9%

Not a good beer really by any means, but as far as the mass produced american lite beer goes, it isnt bad. Has some flavor underneath all the water. This isnt a beer I would drink often, but when you want to kickback and watch a game, and have something to drink without getting smashed, this is a good beer to drink. I sat and watched a game and just kept kicking them back like it was water (which it mostly is). But in the end, I would take this over the other lite beers.

usualpulp, Feb 03, 2004
1.5/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I guess out of the macro light lagers, this is one of the better ones. But that is not saying much at all! It poured the typical clear/straw color with a minimal head that quickly faded into nothing. The smell was of grain and a slight malt scent as well. The taste was grain then a nasty sweetness that tried to cover up the brews nastyness, but instead just added to it. I don't know why any sane person would drink this on a regular basis.

Dmann, Jan 25, 2004
1.9/5  rDev -11.6%

reviewed earlier this week.
Bought in the 24 oz can.
Usual subpar American lager look about this beer ( guess its not meant to be poured into a glass)..very very carbonated.small white head..pale yellow.
The smell wasnt TOO bad..least it was fresh and there does appear to be a hint of the hops..just a hint.
taste was non-descript thin and watery small acrid bitterness near end.
bad feel on the tongue just too spritzy.
Not drinkable but not a total drainpour.

Reidrover, Jan 25, 2004
2.45/5  rDev +14%

Umm, how do I really go about revieing thes "brew"? Light straw pout. Not to much taste, but, has a very slight mix of rice/corn/hop presence to it. It's watery flavor give it drinkablity level a nice boost. This, by no means, is a brew of choice, but., give it to your non-BA buddies. They may, by some unfortnae chance, thank you for it

PSUDREW, Jan 24, 2004
3.48/5  rDev +61.9%

Miller Lite is at its greatest from the tap. Nice golden yellow with small white head. It does taste a bit watery, but not to the extent of other light beers. Taste does not change much as it warms either. This is deffiantly a beer that you could through back and not really have to think of it.

Best with a burger and fries.

UDbeernut, Jan 22, 2004
2.4/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ok...so it is what it is. I have to say for a lite beer it is one of the better beers. I will give it some props that it isn't just water like Coors Lite.

Pours a pale yellow and the smell is just that. Throw it down watching football if you must but if drinking a lite beer stick to something respectable like SA Light please.

It is what it is and ain't what it ain't...more ain't if you know what I mean.

Cheers...there are worse beers out there.

JAL67, Jan 17, 2004

One of the better light beers made....a great post workout beer...better than water for sure...then again not as good as a hefe....anyhow this is a well made American Light Lager...pours clean with a crisp white head every time...more body than most lights....a nice grainy nose when drunk from a big pilsner glass....taste is grainy...moderately sweet....finished with a very slight kiss of hops....

If you're gonna drink a light beer there aren't many better than this....it's decent enough for what it is...

Re-Rate 9-13-04

Scores remain the same as do my opinions....for a light beer it has a nice little hit of maltiness and some subtle hop flavors....IN RELATION to other light beers...one of the better light beers out there...considerably better than Bud Light

ZAP, Jan 17, 2004
1.78/5  rDev -17.2%

It pours a pale, corn-silk yellow. Little head appears, and in no time there's no trace of any at all.

It smells as light as it should, I suppose, as in very little aroma. What's there is slightly sweet and stale.

There's a very mild grain component in the flavor, with little hop presence of any value. There's the mass-produced shadow of adjuncts lurking all about every taste.

There's little more texture or character than seltzer water. The carbonation is a plus, but the slick and vanishing feel is a considerable negative.

OK, it's a light beer, and that's the bottom line here. You can drink dozens, but my point is, why? To get drunk? I can't think of any reason why I would have another short of my brother pleading me to have one with him, and even then he'd have to sound as pathetic as he did last night. This is a solid no-go for me, though I suppose the drinkability will lead some to senseless abuse.

Foxman, Jan 09, 2004
1.73/5  rDev -19.5%

This was a lot better than served on tap. It was a little warmer, I think. Still has a very weak flavor, that is dominated by a grain taste. Still very boring. Drinking it out of the bottle makes you miss the lack of a decent head. Gimme a full flavor beer instead of this stuff anytime.

TastyTaste, Dec 25, 2003
Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.