Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
2.17/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours crystal clear pale yellow with fast blooming large bubbled head that disappears to nothing quickly
Aroma is very pale malts...not much smell at all.
Taste is pale malt with pale hops followed by 'beer' aftertaste....drying and slighty sour.
Mouthfeel is similar to water.
Great thirst quencher when water isn't enough but beer would be too much.

IntriqKen, Apr 16, 2006
1.58/5  rDev -26.5%

12oz. bottle that I got at a local bar. Someone else bought it for me, so I lost nothing.

The beer was the usual Light Macro color of straw yellow color with a small fizzy white head. What seperated this one was the fizzy head of foam dissipated into small traces of lace around the glass. There wasn't much of an aroma (I'm not surprised), except for the faint smell of watery malt and that's it. It had a complex taste of corn, rice, other grains, and water. The kind of taste that I expected to be in this and the kind of taste you really don't want in a beer. The mouthfeel was flavorless, light, and of course watery! I did expect the light, but it could at least have some kind of flavor. It was ok for a light cheap beer and might make a nice summer light drink. They are right when they say it's less filling.

AltBock, Apr 15, 2006
2.1/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a 12oz. aluminum can into a pint glass. Appearance is a clear straw-colored bright yellow, thin white fuzzy head fell quickly to the slightest white lacing. Smell is weak grains, slight maltiness with practically no real aroma whatsoever. Taste is watery, slight appreciable hop flavor, might consider a slight step up from the average light macro. Easy drinking moderate carbonation, low abv, very cheap. This beer is easily my favorite national brand light beer, which isn't saying a whole lot, but it is easily tolerable compared with it's direct competition. Might purchase for certain occasions, maybe as house stock for friends who don't appreciate better beer.

danielocean03, Apr 08, 2006
1.73/5  rDev -19.5%

The only beer at a party so I had to drink it if I wanted beer. Out of the can, clear almost like water. Taste was hard to distinguish from water. The tiniest bit of malt, perhaps, no hops. It's hard to rate something that is nonexistent. I would drink this as a thirst quencher, ice cold if I were dying of thirst and nothing else was available. THere's an old joke that goes like this; what do sex in a canoe and light beer have in common? They're both f---ing close to water. This beer fits the description.

kwakwhore, Apr 07, 2006
2.68/5  rDev +24.7%

The beer is a light yellow beer, with a thin consistency. It's a nice beer for hot days watching baseball or just hanging out. It's nice when you want a beer but it is hot and sticky out so you want something that has a thin thickness. It's watery, but refreshing. As long as you aren't looking for a beer to savor, and you just want something more than water. It has a little bit of a metal flavor, but is still a cool, refreshing beer.

seanmhogan, Apr 04, 2006
2.85/5  rDev +32.6%

poured from a 40 oz bottle into a glass

A- well uh, it was yellow. very yellow. looked like carbonated urine. the head was white, for about 10 seconds and then disappeared.

S- smelled like corn and metal, so far so bad.

T- surprising, actually. this isn't as bad as i would have thought it would be. okay it was very thin and not very flavorful, but then again i wasn't expecting it to be. so in that regard it beat my expectations. i cant describe the taste but there was no taste!

M- ultra thin and smooth. kind of like water.

D- this beer is very easy to drink. almost too easy, if you get my drift. this is a beer of last resort for me. if i'm totally unhappy with the selection a bar has, i may order one but that's the only scenario in which i see myself drinking this again.

acarroll413, Mar 19, 2006
2.03/5  rDev -5.6%

New local pizza shop only has this on tap and four sodas which I didn't want. So WTF right it is only Lite I've had it many times before it can't be that bad. Wrong it can be by itself, but with a slice of pie the beer comes alive, it seems to by enhanced by the corn meal dusted crust of the pizza. I order a second to finsh off the pie and then as I sip this beer and try to think about it and taste it on its own I shudder and resort to my heavy drinking days and chug the beer as quickly as my throat will let it pass.

Looks crystal clear straw color with a head that goes to nothing quickly. Smells of boiled corn and some sort of household cleaning solution. Tastes of practically nothing, it is the taste I associate with a macro produced lager and I must say it still makes me cringe just a little. Mouthfeel I might as well as be drinking carbonated water, a coke or pepsi has more body. Damn drinkable if you don't mind the taste and with a slice of pie it will do.

Higravity, Mar 15, 2006
1.9/5  rDev -11.6%

A bottle found at the back of the fridge. No date or pricing info available. Must be leftover from a party. I know I didn't buy it!

Pours a very pale straw yellow with an initial white head of big bubbles, within a minute, down to the thinnest of covers. A few bubbles lazily make their way from the bottom of the pint glass.

Aroma is a general sweetness- but above it, around it, behind it, underneath it, is this aroma (coming from the hops) that is just nasty. Weak, but harsh, if you know what I mean.

Flavor is weak. Minimal malt/grain profile to discern, and the hop skunkiness is the main player. This isn't terrible, but lord, it's not good. Watery mouthfeel, like the beer is cut with an additional 50% water.

Easy to drink if thirsty, and it probably goes down on a hot day, but this is the first time I've had this beer in many years, and I sure didn't miss it!

Dukeofearl, Mar 15, 2006

So it pours out a light yellow fizzy beer. Not very impressive, but not horrible. Smells very faint hints of what are pilsner type hops. It doesn't really taste bad. It doesn't have the delicious hop I love to find in taste. It just tastes too watered down, but it is a bit refreshing, and much better out of the bottle. Unlike some other macro light lagers that I think taste tinny and too artificial. The mouthfeel is fine. Light and refreshing. It just doesn't have enough to keep me interested to drink it for long.

cracgor, Mar 12, 2006
3.4/5  rDev +58.1%

I think to be fair - you have to take into account you are reviewing a lite beer and that it is supposed be like it is....

As a light beer this is my favorite with Amstel a second - and Coors Light a distant third.

No head --- pale yellow color - not a lot of taste (more than coors light or bud lite) blah blah blah

Take it for what it is a beer to eat buffalo wings with or to wash down that bacon cheeseburger.

Walsar, Mar 07, 2006
2.1/5  rDev -2.3%

Had this on tap at a place that really didn't have many choices for beer. What's there to say, really? Typical fizzy yellow American macro lite beer. Tastes like adjunct. I can drink a lot of these, but I'd really rather have something better. Recommended as lawnmower beer, or for beer bongs.

Drew966, Mar 04, 2006
1.8/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours a bright light yellow color with minimal head retention. Very faint smell could not pick up any noticeable scents. Taste is not good, but is alright for an american macro, watery with some malts. Highly carbonated mouthfeel. Only drink this when it's free, so it's not as bad.

MrHolland, Feb 24, 2006
2.3/5  rDev +7%

ok, i am not a big american beer drinker, so when i went out the my friends bought a pitcher of this, i was like i not paying for it so i'll try to drink it. It wasn't bad compared to lets say Bud Light. But it was very light in color, lighter than urine. It had no smell or anything that would give even a blind person a hint it was beer. The taste wasn't bad, but watery, neither tasting great, and very less filling. Let this be a lession, buy what you drink and don't let other buy for you!

manofmanners, Feb 22, 2006
2.15/5  rDev 0%

Bottle poured into glass.

This is a blast from the past. Used to drink this in high school and early college. Brings back lost of memories.

A – Very bright pale yellow. Small cap the disappeared before I could sit down to write the review.

S – Faint, but Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn… and Corn…little malty sweetness.

T – Fizzy and roasted corn. Slight hoppy as it is going down. Finishes with a dry aftertaste. Smelled a little better than taste.

M – Lot of empty fizz. Watery, but a good classic refresher. Goes down smooth with not much body.

D – This was my session beer of choice. And still not bad with pizza every once in awhile for nostalgia sake.

jabocu, Feb 18, 2006
2.38/5  rDev +10.7%

16 oz. "stay cold" plastic bottle, consumed while watching Tulane beat Texas at the Houston College Baseball Classic held at Minute Maid Park. Go Tulane! Looks like BA needs to add "plastic bottle" to their serving type options.

You know after just a few sips of this beer, an epiphany came over me. Miller Lite really does have half the carbs of Bud Light!

Seriously though folks, as one other reviewer mentioned, I couldn't give a good goddamn how many carbs are in my beer. Of course beer has carbs. Imagine if Burger King began shouting from the rooftops that their cheeseburgers have less fat than McDonald's cheeseburgers. So what. Who cares. They'll both give you a heart attack if you eat enough.

As with all other macro lagers, Miller Lite is Lite in aroma, Lite in flavor, and Lite in mouthfeel. The flavor is mostly adjunct, and there might be a touch of hops in the finish. Maybe. I guess Miller Lite can be refreshing under the right circumstances, like if I just finished running a marathon and it's 100 degrees outside and the beer is about 33 degrees. Or if I'm at a baseball game and BMC is all there is to be had.

The most offensive thing about Miller Lite (and this goes for pretty much all macro brews) is their marketing approach. These companies tout their products as if they are god's gift to beer drinkers. Miller Lite's well-traveled claim to be "a true pilsner beer" is pretty much an insult to the entire Czech Republic. Sorry, people of Plzen, turns out that beer you invented and have been brewing for all these years is a mere imposter. Next time, try adding some corn and a whole lot of water.

VoodooBrew, Feb 13, 2006
1.73/5  rDev -19.5%

I guess I'm writing this review because this beer is, despite its awful taste, is connected to so many memories from high school to college to even a few months of post-college football watching. I'm at a point now where I avoid these types of beers at all cost, because regardless of their "low-cal" designation, I would rather enjoy my beer and have to be on the treadmill for 5 extra minutes than to suffer through another one of these watered-down brews. The BA "avoid" designation pretty much says it all. Leave this one to the college kids who don't know (or can't afford) any better.

supernaut, Feb 12, 2006
1.53/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is usually the beer that I would save until I was drunk enough not to even care. However, it still tastes bad even when my taste buds are muted. The color in any container is a very pale yellow color with some anemic head that quickly fades – no lacing. You can look at the color and tell we are talking adjuncts. The smell is like wet cardboard and moldy hops. . The mouthfeel is fizzy and very, very light. The taste is tart bordering on astringent with some fizzyness around the tongue. It has some weak grainy flavor that strikes me as carbonated Malt-o-meal.

TheEclecticGent, Feb 06, 2006
2.85/5  rDev +32.6%

12 oz can marked 041006, E12104 poured into a pint glass

A---pale, straw yellow with almost no head, no lacing left on the glass

S—smells like hay and wheat, a little sour as well.

T—not like water as some others have said. The feel is watery, but the taste is very mild hops.

M—thin and watery, medium carbonation

D—It is what it is...a light beer. I drank this a lot in college and wanted to review it because of that. Not anything offensive, but my taste in beer has changed quite a bit since college. I still drink this from time to time since it is my family’s favorite beer and when I visit, it is usually what is in the fridge.

hanco005, Feb 05, 2006
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A friend brought over a 12 can fridge box. I'm not looking forward to drinking these but figure I should just to show him respect.

Appearance = Average looking pale straw yellow. Decent carbonation. thin 1/8'' head that lasted for a respectable amount of time. Lacing was better than I thought.

Smell = not a bad scent at all. Good presence of hops. Sweetness of the malt comes into play nicely. It's a very decent scent for a macro lager.

Taste = Here is where the disappointment sets in. Just way too watery. There is absolutely no aftertaste and the flavors that are present are weak, subdued and simplistic. Most prominent is a faint, subtley sweet malt flavor. Hops are barely noticable and contain absolutely no character.

Overall = This beer isn't offensive but why bother to drink it? You might as well drink water.

LPorter33, Feb 04, 2006
1.68/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance - Pale yellow with about an inch of foam, along with carbonation bubbles. Foam was gone pretty quickly.

Smell - Nothing special, but a tad malty.

Taste - Watered down, skunky and not what a macro-beer should taste like.

Drinkability - 3rd tier of cheap macro-beers. I would get a Bud/Natty Light instead.

palffyfan, Feb 03, 2006
2.6/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

From can served in a tall wiezen glass:

Appearance: Light yellowish topaz with snow white head that disapates very quickly.Slight beading.No lace.

Aroma: The nose is of adjuct skunked corn.A little grassy with a hint of mellow malts.Not much to this.

Taste: The palate detects, like the nose slight corn,a touch of alcohol.Watered malts,not much hops to notice.Low carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Thin watery substance small bubbles to chase the liquid down.Nothing much here either.

Drinkability: The alcohol is very slightly higher than the other BMC products but nothing to rave about.I could drink many of these in a sitting.This beer is one of my favorite BMC products and for its style isnt that bad but isnt nothing compared to a good craft beer.I know this now.Miller lite used to be my beer of chioce till a branched off to see the light of a true good beers.Now i just tolerate this one when it is offered.

Cheers2Beers

cheers2beers, Jan 28, 2006
2.38/5  rDev +10.7%

This is a light beer and a an american macro, so what do you expect other than watered down piss water?

A = in a can, so no clue

S = typical macro smell

T = not much of one other than a slight hops flavor and a skunkiness. there's something about the taste that all macros have and I'm not sure if it's the preservatives or what...I can't put a finger on it.

M = watery

D = I guess you could drink a bunch of these, but why? they're $10 a 12pk and at that price I'd rather spend less money ($6 per 12pk) and get something better like pbr.

xduderx, Jan 19, 2006
1.1/5  rDev -48.8%

Almost clear in color, pale yellow. Head is only there during the pour.

Serious adjunct husky corn, some sweet corn. Some more corn....Metallic at points and watered mouthfeel.

I'm not sure how it could get much worse than this, although I have had straight 1's before so somehow the fact that I can drink two of these in one sitting salvages the bottom of the barell type ranking.

Notes: For sure you have to drink this as fresh as possible. Even then just expect something to wash food down. Drink water.

DogFood11, Jan 18, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +101.4%

Well now, let me preface this by saying that this is not a good beer. It is good for the style, hence the numbers, but it is not good if taken out of that particular arena.
Having said that, this is the most beer-tasting lite beer I've ever had. Slight malt and corn presence with a crisp, bubbly (very thin) body and a sweet aftertaste. I wouldn't mind knocking a few of these back. Heck, I might even buy a pitcher of it if I were out with a crowd that didn't dig real beers.
Overall: It is drinkable, which for a lite beer, is a huge accomplishment.
I didn't hate it.

shbobdb, Jan 16, 2006
2.2/5  rDev +2.3%

Had on tap where it was the only beer available.

Appearance -- Clear yellow. Visible carbonation. Some creamy white head when first poured into a plastic cup, but it quickly disappears.

Smell -- Very faint alkaline scent. Nothing much else.

Taste -- Like water. Very light with little taste. Faint and a little grainy.

Mouthfeel -- Light although the carbonation was pleasant.

Drinkability -- I won't seek this one out again, but it's a fact I'll encounter it again living in Milwaukee. Given the choice, I'll drink soda over Miller Lite.

ClearDog, Jan 14, 2006
Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.