Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,099 | Hads: 4,097
3.15/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Lots o' fizzy foam. Leaves a fair amont of lacing. Nice (for style) light golden color. Carbonation high, but not ridiculous.

Smell - Sweet and adjuncty. Little stronger than I'd expect from a light lager. Not offensive.

Taste - Like it smells, mild sweet and adjuncty flavor. Has a little raw alcohol undertone. Initial flavor is ok for the style, undertone probably isn't. In general seems sweet, balanced and very much unobtrusive.

Mouthfeel - Good for a light lager. Watery, but definitely a beer foam carbonation. Not sparkling water carbonation like some macros.

Drinkability - Very quenching and easy to drink especially if you don't think about it too much.

This is definitely a pretty solid light lager. Certainly doesn't require or repay close study, though. So pair this with something spicy, an activity for which the beer is merely a throw-in or hot activity. (900 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +24.1%

Out of a can. Decanted into a large flute.

Appearance: Bright golden yellow. Small head, but I have to say it is thick and frothy.

Smell: Metallica, lemon rinds...doesn't have a strong scent

Taste: Tight and crisp carbonation. Tastes of stale lemons, cheap hops, corn, huskiness.

Mouthfeel: Skunky...and this beer is fresh.

Drinkability: This is a beer for "girls". Its easy to drink only because it has so little taste. (437 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +28.4%

Presentation: Poured a dark gold with amber hints into a traditional pint glass. A half-finger thick head dissipated rather quickly. A closer look revealed that this beer had a high level of carbonation. The scent gave off significant adjunct (corn / rice / cereal) character. It certainly had a "macro" smell to it.

Tasting: I believe that this is the best of the Big Three macro light lagers. It went down smooth and easy. Corn and rice were the major tastes on the tongue. It had a little more bitterness and carbonation than I like. As a macro beer, this is brewed for consumption, so it's quite easy to drink.

Overall, it's not as bad as people seem to think. If left to choose between the three big American macro beers, I will pick this one. (754 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Enjoyed on tap at Piccadilly Pub, Worcester, MA.

Shaker glass presentation. No head over the light straw brew, and no lacing either. Gets any points at all here because light beers are supposed to be light colored. Aroma is well, not offensive, because there isn't really one. Taste is lightly of sweet pale malts, and then all flavor is washed away by water, which there seems to be plenty of, leaving a bland bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is pretty neutral, gets dinged for lack of activity, and drinkability is high for volume, but low for desire to do so. It is what it is. (579 characters)

2.39/5  rDev +3%

Appearance – This one is just right for the style. It is light yellow in color and clear with some good carbonation. The head is big and white as the driven snow.

Smell – The nasty grain is thankfully faint, yet still can’t be ignored. I can actually smell some alcohol in this 4% ABV beer somehow.

Taste – This tastes like grain-flavored soda pop. There’s a pukish sweetness at the end that does indeed remind me of that sickening semi-sweet taste you get in your mouth after throwing up.

Mouthfeel – Light bodied of course and well-carbonated.

Drinkability – I got this out of the “guest tap” at the Flying Pig in Everett and couldn’t even finish the four ounce taster that they mistakenly brought me. (725 characters)

2.57/5  rDev +10.8%

This beer pours a golden yellow color with the smallest slightest hint of bronze. Not much head, and the little that is there dissapates very quickly. The beer smells a touch better than your run of the mill domestic brew. Not a whole lot to speak of in the taste column, but there is nothing bad about it. It almost has a bread-like flavor... maybe thats the yeast? You can also taste some type of grains, but no hops to speak of.

All in all, not a bad beer, but if your out looking for something good, there are many other more suitable choices. Maybe this one is better for the buzz than it is for the taste. Yet still not a bad choice for the budgeted beer drinker. (672 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -35.3%

* I will review this in full, just to show how lacking it is *

Presentation: 12 oz brown glass bottle

Appearance: No need to sully a perfectly good glass, at least viewing it through brown glass makes it look like it has some body.

Taste: Help me find it! This is so watery, with the SLIGHTEST hints of sweet grain. That's really it.

Mouthfeel: H2O

Drinkability: Well, it can't be hard to throw back when it doesn't taste like much, can it? Still, motivation counts for something here, and I couldn't force myself to drink more than one, ever.

Notes: We had a party where everyone brought their own beer. No smirnoff, bacardi, skyy blue here. So my friend brings this, usually only drinking malternatives. I have never met a more tasteless beer. After a Guinness Extra Stout, I truly COULD NOT TASTE IT at all. Don't try to get people hooked on beer with this, as it is not an intro, but rather, a blasphemy to beer in general. (945 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -32.3%

My son calls this one a “pork chop in a bottle”. I have to agree, even the wife-zilla has to add a lime to it to make it drinkable. Skunky, old flavor that tastes like some one left an used leather shoe in the conditioning tank. If there is absolutely nothing else available, I’d tough a few of these down – thanks be that’s not the standard. (347 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +44%

Looks like the standard lite beer, light yellow, some lingering lace. Head disappears after a minute or two, and the taste is pretty straightforward, relatively sweet. I think in terms of lite beers this is definitely one of the best for price vs. value - way better taste than Bud Light, but not exactly up there with Sam Adams Light or anything. If you bashed it before, do a blind taste test among a few lite beers and see where you rank it, I guarantee it's near the top. (475 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -6%

It seems like it has become commonplace for me to review a totally crappy beer, whenever I have good beer. Am I punishing myself? No, but I guess in order to appreciate what is really good, you must have what is really bad. This may also serve as a warning for those out there who may not know any better.

In addition, let me say that this is not my beer, has never been my choice of beer, nor my wife's choice of beer, nor anyones in our family's choice of beer (my father and father-in-law have strict brand loyalty to other beers). Instead, this is the beer of choice for some of our frends, who had a fridge full on New Years' Eve.

I suppose I could have done this review better justice and at least had one from a bottle, but why?

Appearance: Poured into a plastic souvenier (sp?) Treasure Island glass that once held a margarita that I bought while waiting for the pirate battle to begin. I got two, and I got to admit I like these glasses. Why did I have my own glassware at someone elses house you may ask? I always party prepared. I take an assortment of glassware with me, but there was no way I was going to pour this crap into a real glass container, and risk the glass getting broke over some Miller Lite. Where was I? Oh, yeah, the beer. Macro, nuf said.

Smell: Sweet, adjunct garbage.

Taste: Again sweet, which has been my experience with Miller products, moreso than any other macro.

Mouthfel: Light (or is that Lite?) bodied, highly carbonated.

Drinkability: High on a "Can pound down a bunch of these" drinkability scale. Very low on a "would I buy this again?" scale.

I think most BA's steer clear of this, unless its one of those "go to" beers for them (I admit to drinking Bud and Busch Light). If that is the case, fine, I can't hold that against anyone, Miller sells ALOT of this beer, just not my choice. I still do like their advertisements, especially the old Tastes great! Less filling! comercials. (1,952 characters)

2.48/5  rDev +6.9%

Left in the fridge after New Years. Here goes. The beer pours a pale yellow color with a finger and a half of head from a very aggressive pour, but it falls to mothing. The nose is typical sweet grainey American macro. Flavor is interrupted with a huge bit of carbonation. At least its better than a Bud product. The fell is all about the carbonation, almost stinging. Overall, not a beer I would keep around, even for guests. Still, better than a Bud. (452 characters)

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Definitely one of the better light macros, but it was wierd grabbing it out of my fridge right next to the Stoudt bottle whose cap read "craft beer." Pours a piss yellow but with a darker core inside the glass. The beer, surprisingly, has an ever so mild hoppy flavor, but there is not much else to it. Very easy to drink because there is not much to it. But it is highly carbonated and will lead to burping. (408 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +57.8%

This is a true American classic. Note, American. This is as domestic as you can get, but when you cannot afford those great expensive beers (or when you get to that point that you cannot tell the taste) this is what you go for. If ever in Milwaukee, I highly recomend the tour of Miller Brewing and the free sample of this beer. The fresh clean taste will make you have a new appreciation. (389 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -38.4%

12 ounce can. Pours out clear with slight yellow tinge. Unimpressive fizzy white head that doesn’t last long. The smell is rather like soap. Corn taste with a very small amount of hop bitterness. The grain tastes intensify when the beer warms, so if you’re going to drink this, drink it quick. Watery consitency. Not the worst beer out there, as it is too light on flavors to be overly unpleasant. Still, there’s not much going for it. (438 characters)

2.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Okay, today's the 150th anniversary of Miller so why not review Miller Lite today? Actually my wife couldn't finish hers and I couldn't see 18 of her 22 ounces going to waste. I've always enjoyed Miller compared to Coors or Bud Light, perhaps many a college night enjoying this for some reason. No appearance or smell to speak of, but the mouthfeel wasn't too bad tonight. Tried much much worse, but there's so many better options out there. I'm not going to sound like a beer snob this time. (492 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -12.5%

This beer pours golden/yellow has a two finger head with no retention and no lacing. The aroma has a hint of hops and some corny sweetness. The taste if icy cold is almost nonexistant, but if its at room temp the flavor reminds me of what it would be like to lick the floor of a redemption center. The beer is thin bodied, crisp and clear.

Reflection: I have a friend who's brother works for Miller so every time he's over he brings some crappy beer. I figure I might as well review them if their in the house. This is a quick review Pass on this beer! (555 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -6%

Wow, after having one of these for the first time I can honestly say there's less flavor here than Miller High Life.

Fizzy, canary yellow, ML has a bit of head and lace but nothing like its "champagne of beers" brother. There's major corniness on the nose, and well, a lack of anything too substantial to compare to.

The taste of the beer is pretty much like you expect it, watery, slightly grainy/corny, and borderline drinkable. I might go for one of these colder than hell after a round of yard work.

Lacks the disappearing quality of Bud or Coors ... leaves a little lingering "beery" flavor. It's crap, IMO better than the other two Big Boy's "light" beers. If you gotta go cheap, go "High Life". (712 characters)

2.63/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured a very pale yellow with a 3 finger head.Head lasted only a few minutes until gone.Smells like typical macrow brew {i think they all smell kinda pukey,esp coors lite}.Taste,, well lack of,, its a very tolerable beer ,not much taste so you cant say its bad . My usual beer if theres nothing worthwhile at the bar. Best thing about this stuff,,no hangovers! (361 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -5.2%

Well I had some of this because I was with a woman who was on one of those low carb diets and I was trying to remain social.

The beer pours a pale yellow and has a very weak white head on it.

It smelled kind of yeasty.

Taste: Not much.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, no body to speak of.

Drinkablility: only could bear one pint.

Tried not to be a beer snob, but... life is too short to drink this stuff (414 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a light clear straw piss yellow color with a thin bright white headskie. Tastes like beered down water. Some light sweet adjunct malts are in there, but it's really a weak weakness of flavor overall. But then again, this is a light beer. Not much to the mouthfeel and not so drinkable as it doesn't have many redeming values. Nonetheless, still better than most light american macros I've tried. (401 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +37.1%

PLAY BEER!!! (from the football commercials)

Appearance-pale golden color, sort of dirty, medium head that sticks to the glass which surprises me.

Smell- Faint alcohol is present, corn, maybe a little cabbage, it will do.

Taste-smooth, easy to put down, pretty flavorful, aftertaste could be better but for a light beer not bad at all.

Mouthfeel-aftertaste needs work, while its in your mouth though its enjoyable.

Drinkability-its a light beer, and a good one at that, you should have no problem drinking another, and another, and another.

Overall-this beer works, not a bad light beer in any regard. I think it's better than Coors Light, which I found ok so I would have no problem drinking this anytime. Not quite up to my favorite light lager Michelob Light but solid nonetheless. PLAY BEER! (813 characters)

2.33/5  rDev +0.4%

You know, I had low hopes for this beer going in. It was the pitcher special, so who could go wrong with cheap pitchers? Let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised, it surpassed my current macro expectations.

Pours piss yellow. Smells like skunk, alcohol and wheat. Your basic macro. Tastes like wheat and alcohol, smoother than I expected. Better than Bud should be their slogan. I'd get this again. (404 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -32.8%

My buddy had a party last night and he ended up gettin a half barrel of none other than Miller Lite. So, not being one to turn down a keg and not wanting to seem snobbish enough to bring my own personal beer, I drank it for the night.

Taste seems to be a little crisper out of the keg...but again there really is nothing to this brew. Thankfully, it was smokey as hell in his place so I couldn't really taste anything anyhow. It was decent for the night and it goes down like water...just with a little added color and carbonation... (536 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a great beer but definitely a beer that I can sit down and drink anytime. Best word to describe it is average. It never disappoints but you also never say damn that was a good beer. The appearance and smell are bland but it does go down easy. I usually keep a 6 pack on hand since most of my wife's friends can't handle my Hefe's or Wit's. (343 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -27.6%

A friend left a couple of bottles in my fridge, so what the hell. The bottle actually says "355 mL" -- they don't export this crap, do they?

Pours a dehydrated piss yellow with a fluffy white head that quickly fades to white patchiness in the center of my glass. Poured into an Arrogant Bastard shaker to try to scare it into tasting like something.

Smells like water. Honestly, I smell nothing.

Has some taste though. By some, I mean hardly any. If you soaked some corn in some vodka and boiled off most of the alcohol, I think you'd be pretty close to this recipe. I used to think that this stuff tasted terrible when I drank it in high school; now I don't think it tastes like much of anything, good or overly bad.

Mouthfeel? Ha, sure. Nope.

Unfortunately, there's one more of these in my fridge. Hopefully someone will come over soon and discard it for me. Probably tastes good if poured into a funnel.

I have fond memories of trying this in high school, proclaiming, "I hate beer," and promptly swilling a liter or so of Jim Beam. Ah, how I've grown. (1,073 characters)

Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.