Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Miller Lite | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: Light Lager

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999

Reviews: 1,146 | Ratings: 4,335
2.07/5  rDev -8.8%

Uuhhh, this is okay. I'd never buy it but I wouldn't turn it down if it's free at a party or event. Of the big three light beers, this one is probably the best. (Or should I say, the least worst.) It's inoffensive and drinkable, and sometimes there's nothing wrong with that.

2.4/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Of all the macro lagers this is my favorite. Still hard to drink after you get used to drinking high quality beers though. I will probably be buying this a few times this summer.

1.08/5  rDev -52.4%

This beer is trying to be a full flavored beer when it is a light beer. Smells like feet after the gym. Aftertaste is just horrendous. If a person has this beer to drink and only this I pass on drinking period. I would rather drink anything other than this beer. I don't understand how anyone can drink this beer! If I were to choose a Miller it would be Miller Genuine Draft.

2.39/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Not that offensive, it just lacks an aroma. Flavor is sweet malt and generic bitter on the back end to give it some balance. These light beers tend to make me feel more full because I drink and drink without getting much besides a belly full of air *burp!*

4.1/5  rDev +80.6%

Many people seem to be missing the point about this beer: It is a fine pilsner, not a light lager; and that is a huge difference. Not to be a beer snob, but when you finally begin to think of yourself as a beer connoisseur, then you tend to go from one end of the scale to the other, from darks to lights, from reds to ambers, hops to smooth. The thing with a pilsner, is that they are very scarce; and once you start loving them, it becomes like a treasure hunt to find them. Miller Lite is such a treasure. It gets a bad rap, or no rap really, because it has been there since the beginning of all the "new beer" nonsense of the '80s and 90's like dry beer, light beer, ultra light beer, ice beer, bottled draft, cold-filtered, and so on. And so, having been left out of the circus, it has come full circle as a true American Pilsner, made from real bohemian pilsner malt, not lager malt. Taste the difference. First of all, a good pilsner can pull off a buzz without bloat at only 4% abv, whereas, you cannot even start a light lager lower than 4.7, and then you will be pushing the bloat envelope. Really, take another look at this beer.

2.66/5  rDev +17.2%

Clear light golden. Effervescent and bubbly but withconspicuously no head. Slightly skunky on the nose with a honey sweetness. The taste is much better than the nose. Wheat grain sweetness starts off but gives way to a mild tangy carbonic mineral taste and a light dry grass bitterness. Don't be fooled, these are all very mild flavors and a cool watery juicy feeling prevails from start to finish on the taste. The mouth feel is better than most adjunct beers that are usually on the cloyingly sweet side. This beer finishes medium light dry with a slight cool graphite aftertaste. Overall, one of my preferred adjunct beers.

2.18/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I had this on draught at a basketball game. It was the shortest line for beer. Poured into plastic glass. The color is a crystal clear, golden yellow with a thin, snow-white head and lacing on the side of the glass. It had very little smell: some bready yeast and grain, that's about it. This is about as bland as beer gets. There is some sweet grain but nothing else. There is a slight dry bitterness at the finish. This beer is as light as it could be, both in body and carbonation. Given its low ABV, you could drink a lot of it, but it's hardly worth the effort. I should have waited on the longer line for better beer.

1.24/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Can from hotel happy hour. I don’t really see the point of these light lagers, they’re bland and tasteless. Pale golden color, no head, no aroma, bland cereal taste. Yuk!

1.74/5  rDev -23.3%

I give all beers a chance. I gave this one a chance. Appearance saved this beer because it looks like your standard macro lager. Smell was faint hops and grains. Felt watery and well, light. Overall this fell short. Wouldn't drink it again.

2.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ok, I never thought I'd be reviewing this beer but all my regular beers were gone and this was left over from a party so I gave it a go. I admit I used to drink this as a standard "at the ball game" brew, but this is pretty awful compared to what I have become used to with since I discovered craft beer a few years ago. I do think it's better than Bud Light. That's the highest compliment I can pay to pay this "beer."

2.41/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

It's probably a little bit better than bud light and maybe a little worse than coors light. If i have to drink a light beer i prefer coors but they're all pretty much the same.

3.87/5  rDev +70.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is my favorite, standard beer. I think it deserves much better marks than PBR for example. This beer is delicious and refreshing. It doesn't have the delightful tang of a bud light, but it's flavor is fuller, and richer. Murica!

2.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours pale yellow with a small, shortlived, white head & poor lacing. Aroma lightly beery, faintly sweet, white bread, some faint hops. Taste watery grain & some very thin hops. Like Bud Lite it's a good choice if its free or in the hands of someone else.

2.26/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured rather aggressively from a glass bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Look: A pale and translucent straw yellow. Rather heavy carbonation rising quickly through the glass. A two-finger head dissipates rather slowly into a half-finger head after letting it rest for a minute.

Smell: Neutral grains and corn. Searching for something else but it cannot be found.

Taste: Very faint bread grains. Something lingers that reminds one of apples. Incredibly watery. It tastes like slightly bitter water.

Feel: Loose and watery. Quickly dissipates which forces one to want to take another swig.

Overall: My choice of the big three strictly because Miller Lite is generally regarded as the beer for average people. Bud light is for white trash and when is the last time you met anyone that drinks Coors regularly? I think it's important to keep in mind that macro beers like this are made for easy drinking, and there's no denying you can pound these back about as easy as a bottle of water.

1.64/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

**FROM OLD NOTES, 01/3/12:
Best of the crappy lite beers, probably because it's watered down so much. Sitting here drinking it by itself trying to intelligently assess the attributes of Miller Lite seems kind of silly. It's good to drink a lot of these with a good thin crust pizza. Must be the vortex bottle.**

3.7/5  rDev +63%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

It's my go to fill the cooler for a hot summer day beer. Much more unique and grainy flavor than the other cheap light beers while still being very refreshing and easy to drink. Goes quite good with any food and doesn't linger too long after like you get with other cheap beers.

Great for what it is, if you want a nice beer there are definitely better options, if you are providing for a lot of people and drinking a lot you can't really go wrong.

3.95/5  rDev +74%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I don't like lite beer that much, but when I'm going to get something that everyone will like, I go Miller Lite. It has a good taste for a lite lager and looks great in the new Steinie bottles.

1.67/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

This beer is a very light brown color with almost no smell, it is very tasteless as well, so the taste could best be described as if you took a Miller High Life, poured out half of it and replaced it with water. This beer is pretty much only good for drinking fast in order to get drunk.

2.95/5  rDev +30%

appearance-i drank a tall boy of it and i drank it out of hte can so i dont know what it looks like but its a light beer so im assuming its very clear, very carbonated, and very golden.

smell-smells like beer. noticable adjuct in the smell though

taste-tastes like beer. no hop flavors which doesnt suprise me since there arnt even real hops in here. the corn gives it a nice taste in my opinion

feel-very fizzy

overall-the best light beer ive had but ive only had bud light,busch light, miller lite, and heineken light. if your drinkin on a budget and trying to be healthy id go for a miller lite.

2.57/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Watery yellow beer. Smells rather hoppy. Tastes sweet and grainy with some decent bitter hops. A little skunky with a bite. The feel is pretty thin with moderate high carbonation. Overall not bad for a light beer. One of the better tasting ones in my opinion.

3.6/5  rDev +58.6%

Drank this on tap at the Louder Than Life Rock Festival in Louisville KY because it was this, Coors Light which I know I dislike, and Blue Moon Belgian White, which I also dislike because coriander tastes weird and it was more expensive, and as hot as it was, light beer just sounded refreshing. I usually am a dark beer guy, but I take what I can get. Served in the 20oz Louder Than Life reusable cup(which I still use).

Look-Clear golden straw, with a nice 1/2 inch head that lasted longer than I expected. Small strings of carbonation, more color than most light beers.

Smell-Like light beer. Not much on the nose. Slight grassy sweet smell.

Taste-Sweet grains and malts, light grassy hops, actually not bad. More flavor than Coors or Bud, not much more but enough to make a difference. Very refreshing.

Feel-Light, smooth, drinkable. Not super heavily carbonated which surprised me. Went down great.

Overall-Had low expectations because Coors light is brewed by the same company and I dislike Coors, it tastes like stale water to me. Walked away impressed however, considerably more flavorful, will drink again if the price is right on a hot, summer day or after a long day of work.

This is just an awful beer. I have drank a lot of this beer over time, but only for tailgates and parties. It is by far the worst of the major light lagers in my opinion.

3.01/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I'm rating this because I give it more credit than Bud Light or Coors Light. While the three major domestics are very similar in their watered down, highly carbonated, ho-hum ways, Miller Lite does have a slightly different taste that stands out in a slightly better way than the other two. I can't give it the usual ratings like other beers. I just know it's a pilsner, it's a fantastic session beer in that I can drink a six or twelve pack in about an hour or two, and it's got a little bit more malty/grainy flavor to it that Bud or Coors. I'm also a consumer that is a sucker for all things vintage, and unlike its counterparts, they have wisely stuck with the retro label for the last couple years and it's probably why I am buying this beer a little more often than not. Nothing fancy--just a truly cheap, drinkable American beverage. A fine pilsner beer...indeed.

3.22/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

24oz can into a shaker pint.

A: Pours a very clear straw with 1/2" fizzy white head that recedes immediately. Lacing & retention are quite poor.

S: Mild off-sweet bready malt & nothing else.

T: Muddled off-sweet character with no traces of any sort of depth, development or complexity.

M: Lowish-to-moderate carb married to a very light malt body. For what it is, I like it. Crisp, clean & refreshing.

O: Very poor.

1.06/5  rDev -53.3%

Gót $1/bottle at a happy hour in DC.
Some smell of hand and malt. But other than that, not really that much.
Extremely watery. Also taste as bland as water.

Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.