1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,908 | Reviews: 1,007 | Show All Ratings:
flagmantho

Washington

2.21/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass.

Appearance: pale golden hue with no haze and a pretty strong effervescence. Head pours two fingers of frothy, fizzy white foam and dissipated quickly. Not inspiring.

Smell: inoffensively bland. There's some plastic aroma from the adjuncts, but there also seems to be some genuine hop aroma here (if only a teeny tiny bit).

Taste: even blander than the aroma. Not much going on here to either offend or recommend. Bland, boring, watery, and mostly inoffensive.

Mouthfeel: very light body with a fizzy carbonation. Refreshing enough, I guess, but there's nothing here to really appreciate.

Overall: drinkable enough on a hot day or when tailgating. Otherwise, not much more to recommend this beer.

09-07-2013 17:37:04 | More by flagmantho
Beric

Indiana

2.15/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Serving: On tap in a bar game
Served: 17 August 2013

Appearance: Very pale yellow with no head to speak of unless agitated violently. Crystal clear and clean looking. This would get more points if it had a better color, but it almost looks sickly yellow, rather than something a little fuller bodied.

Smell: Is there a smell? This one just smells like "beer" not much else to say. No off smells to speak of, so that's good, but this nose is almost too squeaky clean- there's nothing going on here at all.

Taste: This beer was so cold, I almost got brain freeze. The bar I was at said their serving temp was below 32F. I can't imagine what this beer would taste like if it warmed up to a more reasonable temperature, but I can't imagine it would be good. All I tasted really was "cold", if you can imagine that in a bottle.

Mouthfeel: Nice a spritzy, good carbonation for a light lager style. Could be very refreshing in a hot environment such as a tailgate or ballgame.

Overall: This really is a terrible beer. Not much to say about this, because there isn't much too this beer. The appearance is bland and sickly at best, the nose is non-existent and the coldness of serving temperature way overpowers any possible flavor you might get out of this. The mouthfeel was somewhat redeeming, since it made the beer very spritzy- almost like a soda, though with a flavor as bland as this, I think I would have preferred to be drinking that!

08-29-2013 01:16:17 | More by Beric
yeastlovehoppiness_greg

Iowa

1.85/5  rDev -14%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

The first thing I noticed, this beer smells like a doctors office. Kind of that weird super sterile alcohol smell that makes you think you'll get a super virus. it has a bitter taste with a slightly skunky aftertaste. At least is is pretty smooth so it does have that going for it.

08-21-2013 02:16:02 | More by yeastlovehoppiness_greg
spoony

Colorado

2.59/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

On tap into a pils glass at the Milwaukee airport.

A-My beer arrived with about one finger of shiny, white head that disappears pretty quickly. A stray wave or two of lacing remains the glass. The brew is clear, very-light golden in color, and reveals a few bubbles of carbonation.

S-Not a whole going on here...some corn grain and a bit of dry grass is all.

T-The taste is more steely than I recall from beers past, but there is still some sweet corn taste and vague grassy bite. Pretty mild. Finish is drying.

M-Very light feel with moderate carbonation and a crisp dry finish.

O-I couldn't leave Milwaukee without at least sampling one Miller product.... Anyway, this brew is pretty bland with a light, grassy hop note being the lone highlight as far as taste goes. Flavor aside, the feel wasn't half bad for the style. On a kind of related note, I certainly had better beer on my trip, but the Miller put me in a strangely good mood for my flight as I appreciated seeing one of my good friends tie the knot over a glorious mid-western weekend in Wisconsin and, honestly, good moods have to be worth something.

08-21-2013 00:15:48 | More by spoony
bradb717

3.13/5  rDev +45.6%

You can't go into this expecting a micro brew with a complex flavor and alot of body
and feel, or you will be heavily disappointed.
Honestly though, for a mainstream light beer though I don't find this very bad, but I am a big fan of pilsners in general (labatt etc)
So I mean it serves its purpose and goes down easy.

08-20-2013 18:24:39 | More by bradb717
NewGlarusFan

1.44/5  rDev -33%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Only drinkable in 90 degree weather. Wouldn't use to make beer brats or water pan in my smoker unless it was the only choice. Don't waste money on this beer if it is beer. Unfortunately, people will only drink this b/c of the light taste and think they'll get hammered faster. Untrue, have one Revolution Anti-hero and see how the buzz goes. Why am I even reviewing Miller Lite?

08-20-2013 17:39:08 | More by NewGlarusFan
Weston19

2.23/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured into a Guinness glass

A: Straw yellow with high carbonation. Poured aggressively and the two finger head reduced to a thin lacing that stood there for the entire time (that surprised me).

S: Corn, and really nothing else. There is really no smell.

T: You get a bit corn and then some faint malt at the back once you swallow. Out of all the macro beers, I honestly think I have gotten the most flavor from Miller than any other. So if you need to drink a BMC, go for a Milller

MF: Super watery, smooth, clean finish. Carbonated water really.

O: Now we all now this isn't a craft beer but I don't think it's as terrible as some of the other beers out there; Bud Light, Coors Light, Corona, Modelo, etc. I would much rather have this beer if I'm going to a party where only BMC's will be available. It is what it is.

08-17-2013 04:19:54 | More by Weston19
NWer

Washington

Served into a Coors Lite plastic glass at hotel. A managers reception with free beer, wine, brats, potato salad.
For free, I thought "what the hell"? Can't be that bad. After all, I'm thirsty and it tastes at least as good as water.
Wrong.
Took a sip and I thought my God! this is really bad!
I don't get it. Even if all you want is something to drink a lot of how can someone drink this??
Drain pour.
The brats and potato salad were great though.

08-15-2013 00:12:10 | More by NWer
jesster64

1.85/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Might as well drink water. Only positive part is the lower calories, but I'd rather have flavor and do an extra set of situps the next day that to drink a couple cans of this honey colored water. If its 100 degrees out and no other choices available, ok, you can polish off 3 or 4 and feel slightly refreshed. Other than that, spend a few extra bucks and get something with heart,soul,and flavor.

08-06-2013 04:27:27 | More by jesster64
Libationguy

Nevada

2.05/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Light-medium straw with a bright white rocky head. Medium- head retention with light lacing.

Corn, light cabbage, rice, saltine crackers.

Corn, bread crust, rice.

Medium- body and watery. Firm carbonation. Acts like it will have some texture, but quickly fades.

Foursquare, but clean.

07-21-2013 06:43:44 | More by Libationguy
trombley49

3.75/5  rDev +74.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is the beer i take with me everywhere I go, I enjoy this beer. I think it is the best domestic beer out there (big company). I enjoy the push tab top and the smoothness of the pour or drink from the new designed can they have now. I think this beer goes well at any barbeque and is universal enough that anyone will drink and enjoy this beer.

07-15-2013 12:59:08 | More by trombley49
ThePaintedGrey

2.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz. can poured into pint glass.

A: Pale and straw-yellow colored. Damn near transparent. Started with a two-finger head, but that reduced to maybe a pinky-size by the time it started nearing my mouth. Minimal to no lacing to speak of. After about two sips the head is nearly non-existent. Very soda-like.

S: Very, very difficult to put any specifics here. Beneath the stale, metallic scent is a very slight grain aroma. I might be detecting some corn... Definitely not picking up on the hops. Overall, weak. Maybe the bottled variety might fare better in this category, as I assume the offensive metallic scent of the can wouldn't be an issue.

T: The head tastes of nothing more than metallic can flavor. Beneath the horrid-tasting head, there's a bit of grain flavor, a touch of bland sweetness. I'm detecting the faintest hint of bitterness on the back of my tongue. Finishes rather... well... flavorless.

M: Average carbonation. Thin-bodied. Drinks sort of like a soft drink. Nothing to really comment on here. Moving along.

O: This is essentially adult soda. It's light, it doesn't fill you up, and it's really easy to drink when you're standing around at a baseball game with 5 of your closest friends in the heat of a mid-summer night. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy this beer, and I probably wouldn't even make it my second choice... But, if your only other choices are Bud Light, Coors, or another similar light lager, Miller Lite wins by a landslide. It's the quintessential "lets pound down 9 or 10 of these bad boys!" light lager.

06-19-2013 07:22:22 | More by ThePaintedGrey
StonedTrippin

Colorado

2.06/5  rDev -4.2%

ive long said I would rather drink anything else in the world than a miller lite, and maybe I still stand by that. maybe bud light on principal, but this is pretty bad. its one of those mass market crap beers that's little more than adjunct metallic tasting corn water, although I have no idea whats actually in this beer. I don't mind the mouthfeel, which is well carbonated and maybe a little meatier than some of its peers, but the taste is so minimal and bad. old malt, out of place sweetness, generic yeast, it just isn't very good. I guess for a late night games of kings cup or something it is passable, but at that point there are better options for less money. sometimes the commercials are comical, but that's about all I can really say for miller lite. hope to not encounter this again, but what are the odds of that.

06-17-2013 19:27:26 | More by StonedTrippin
tjacobs610

2.8/5  rDev +30.2%

Serving- 12 oz vortex bottle

Appearance: Very light and pale yellow in color with a small amount of carbonation.

Smell: Very clean cut, some floral tones with a hint of wheat.

Taste and Feel: Light grain flavor, with hints of grain husk and sweetness. The carbonation mixes with a slight steely flavor, to produce some sharpness and mouth appeal. The hops come across lemony, with the slightest of tea-like characteristics. Finishes mostly clean with a metallic residual flavor in the back of the mouth and tongue.

06-12-2013 14:13:12 | More by tjacobs610
pjkelley82

2.85/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had to review this beer because before I ever knew what real beer was this is what I drank maybe once every two months.... I have to say never really liked the big boxed brands in general but Miller light was the best of the bunch... drinkable, clean and not much if any aftertaste. I would not recommend. Try good beer. Bit if you drink a 24 pack a day than drink something that resembles plain water and not skunk.

06-11-2013 06:11:53 | More by pjkelley82
4amepiphany

2.55/5  rDev +18.6%

This beer has nothing but nostalgia of long drunken nights growing up. The memories of the people and the times we shared is the only reason I am writing this. This beer is pretty much water, water that gets you a little tipsy and sick in the morning, but the conversations, jam sessions, belligerence and total fun had on this beer.. makes it somewhat important.

06-08-2013 23:21:40 | More by 4amepiphany
McStagger

2.39/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Too may IPA's recently. Let's go in the other direction. Poured out of a can into my pilsner flute...

A: Bleach white head, rapidly dissipating. Two fingers or so. Light, ever so light straw color with moderate carbonation. Lacing is non existent.

S: Cereal sweetness, with a touch, just a touch, of spicy hops. Bit of metallic skunk in there as well.

T: Adjunct sweetness prevails, especially in the mid palate. Tastes like a bowl of corn flakes with that same breath of hop spice in the end.

M: Not as carbonated as I imagined. Little bit softer mouthfeel than its competitors.

O: It is what it is. I'd choose this over Bud Light or Coors Light, but I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference blind. Fizzy yellow liquid. Next!

05-31-2013 07:47:56 | More by McStagger
gtp537

Wisconsin

2.1/5  rDev -2.3%

Of the lights, this one is my preferred. It is light, but still has a bit of flavor. I may be fooling myself, but I think I catch a bit of hops hiding in there as well. While I do not drink it often, I appreciate it for what it is. Just don't let it warm up.

05-29-2013 01:22:03 | More by gtp537
bbluemzbeer

For top selling macro lager light beer this one is best. It beat Bud Light and Coors Light for some flavor only THiss review is about the style lager light beer, not my personal tastes.

Appreance: Yellow color looks like a beer.

Smell Corn and maltiness; no hops

Taste : It taste of sweet and corn it has some taste at least compare to Coors and Bud,

Mouthfeel : It is fizzy and thin mouth. like light beer.

Overall : It is drinkability. I try to drank it cold and fast. I would pick this beer If I was fulll on food and I di not want to feeli bloated. It by far better then Coors light and Bud Light.

05-28-2013 02:35:35 | More by bbluemzbeer
Matthew_Phoenix

3.68/5  rDev +71.2%

Had this on numerous occasions. this is my father's go-to beer because of how cheap it is. most people speak ill of this beer, but for what it is, its pretty darn good.

A - typical pale yellowness, nothing special

S - sweet and malty, corn, pretty much nothing offensive

T - sweet and refreshing, much better than the other american lagers, in fact out of all of the cheap american lagers, i would say this is the best or one of the best. it always hits the spot, tastes just a little bit cleaner than bud light, and it has more substance than coors light, the taste is mostly sweet, and a slight sharpness at the end from a little bit of hops...which is more that what most american lagers can say.

M - clean and crisp, very carbonated which works well for the taste, light bodied.

O - can't go wrong with this for the price, a true american beer.

05-27-2013 01:28:56 | More by Matthew_Phoenix
ThomasMetal75

3.45/5  rDev +60.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

*Come on Bros! A 59/100 rating?!?! It's not even worth the time they took to rate it!*

(Paring this with pork tacos, and it's the perfect match)

A- Just looks like an American beer: yellow, golden straw appearance. It has a head that is typical to miller beers: big, frothy, with lots of large carbination bubbles. Actually leaves an OK lacing for a light lager. Lacing puts this beer into the next point over average.

S- Musty, wet grains, sweet, very light spice. Beady as well. The light breadiness makes it slightly above average.

T- Sweet, grainy, slightly spiced from the hops (SLIGHT). Crisp and refreshing, with a clean water taste. Very carbonated! Malty breadiness is noticeable. But grainy and sweet are the tastes here in Miller Lite.

M- Just like water. Very thin body and super easy to put down. That's it! But because it's not water I'm drinking, it won't get a 5 from me.

*Overall, Miller Lite is fine. There's nothing wowing about it, but it's certainly not offense in any way. It's main issue is that it's just another run of the mill American lager. It's got only a slight spicy hop note, but that's about all that makes it different from Bud or Coors Light. But please don't bash this beer, even if you are a craft beer drinker (if I wasn't a craft beer enthusiast, why would I be reviewing beers on this site?).

05-25-2013 21:05:37 | More by ThomasMetal75
Dave_in_GR

2.33/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is a very pale, transparent yellow color. Lots of carbonation and a small amount of light colored head that fades quickly.

Smell is extremely weak, maybe a hint of malt.

Taste is weird, very watery and a bit sour.

Mouthfeel is honestly pleasant, very light-bodied with a nice dry finish. Very easy to drink, and the smell of the alcohol is well-hidden.

Overall it is hard to rate the macros when compared to the micros. There just isn't much to this - when it comes to smell and taste I would really like something a bit more distinctive, but I think they deserve credit for brewing beer that is both consistent and drinkable.

05-16-2013 20:55:30 | More by Dave_in_GR
Roguer

Connecticut

2.83/5  rDev +31.6%

Miller Lite: let's do this.

A - The very definition of average. Absolutely nothing wrong with the pale golden look. Rarely any head to speak of, but that's not really a bad thing with this kind of beer. Mostly unremarkable.

S - I'm rating this sub-average not because of any bad scent; rather, there just isn't much to it. No pleasant notes, a little bright maybe.

T - OK, where do I begin? How do you rate a BMC brew as "average?" Compared to Bud (Light or Heavy), or other standard mass-market pilsners, I rather enjoy Miller Lite. One vote for above average. Alternatively, there isn't much flavor at all. I mean, at all. Very mildly hopped, no malts. No sweetness. Extremely drinkable, though; I can enjoy a ML on tap if there's nothing but big-market domestics available (by contrast, I will NOT EVER drink a Bud). Even though it's not a particularly good beer, it's better than the AAL competition; it should be obvious that this is quite simply not on par with a Bavarian pilsner or craft brew.

M - This could be worse (stirring endorsement, I know). There isn't much to speak of with respect to coating the mouth. However, it goes down fairly smoothly if you're drinking by volume (which is what this beer is made for, let's be honest).

O - I echo my "taste" writeup. This is not a great beer. This is not a particularly good beer. However, this is a drinkable beer, and I find it far superior to its primary competition (Bud). It's not my go-to, but I can drink it on tap.

04-28-2013 19:53:12 | More by Roguer
Catherine8189

3.08/5  rDev +43.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Love it! Very smooth tasting beer for the unexperienced palate. Beer of choice for the small budget of the college-aged kid. You can drink a lot of this beer. I definitely recommend pouring it into a glass to release some of the carbonation if you do plan on consuming a fair amount. A classic beer that will never go away.

04-25-2013 21:58:02 | More by Catherine8189
KYGunner

Kentucky

2.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Not created for presentation this beer has a poorly finished color of pale yellow. The head was thin and fleeting.

Typical adjunct scent for the style there was a slight corn scent.

Tastes like watery malts with no discernible hop flavor. Adjunct flavoring mixes with a corn/maltiness it is easy on the palate and stomach. Very typical for the light beer genre it's obviously create for mass appeal, so it does its job.

04-14-2013 01:42:52 | More by KYGunner
Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.