Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
shbobdb

Indiana

4.33/5  rDev +101.4%

Well now, let me preface this by saying that this is not a good beer. It is good for the style, hence the numbers, but it is not good if taken out of that particular arena.
Having said that, this is the most beer-tasting lite beer I've ever had. Slight malt and corn presence with a crisp, bubbly (very thin) body and a sweet aftertaste. I wouldn't mind knocking a few of these back. Heck, I might even buy a pitcher of it if I were out with a crowd that didn't dig real beers.
Overall: It is drinkable, which for a lite beer, is a huge accomplishment.
I didn't hate it.

01-16-2006 00:25:15 | More by shbobdb
ClearDog

Wisconsin

2.2/5  rDev +2.3%

Had on tap where it was the only beer available.

Appearance -- Clear yellow. Visible carbonation. Some creamy white head when first poured into a plastic cup, but it quickly disappears.

Smell -- Very faint alkaline scent. Nothing much else.

Taste -- Like water. Very light with little taste. Faint and a little grainy.

Mouthfeel -- Light although the carbonation was pleasant.

Drinkability -- I won't seek this one out again, but it's a fact I'll encounter it again living in Milwaukee. Given the choice, I'll drink soda over Miller Lite.

01-14-2006 17:04:34 | More by ClearDog
dawg

3.05/5  rDev +41.9%

Had this one right out of the can as one should. Can appeared as you see on the billboards for the macro.

Smelled mostly like can, with a subtle woft of corn. Nothing much more. No floral scent, no malt, no hops, no fruit, mostly can. OK, perhaps a bit of cardboard from the case.

Tasted like what one would expect from a standard american style light. Not much flavor besides some corn and can. However this beer is very, very consistent.

Mouthfeel was as expected. Nothing to talk about but one again consistent.

This beer, at least for me, is rather drinkable. Compliments chips and salsa. Or maybe the chips and salsa were very good at covering the beer.

01-09-2006 02:01:17 | More by dawg
swid

Missouri

2.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Miller Lite pours a pale yellow color into my pint glass. When held up to the light, it *almost* appears to have hints of a faint amber color. A white, 1/2" head forms atop the crystal liquid, then dies almost instantly. Low carbonation, small amounts of fast-disappearing lacing. The aroma is dominated be a corn-infused sweetness. There might be a trace of floral hop aroma, but I may be just imagining it.

The taste is very one-dimensional; sweet corn graininess is pretty much the only flavor here. On the good side of things, at least there's no off flavors to contend with, either. The mouthfeel, not surprisingly, is very wet and light; everything else has been stripped out. Finishes crisp, sweet and mildly acidic.

If nothing else, Miller Lite is (marginally) better than Bud Light...

12-31-2005 03:27:02 | More by swid
feloniousmonk

2.73/5  rDev +27%

Continuing my survey of light beer, onward, and....upward?

Tremendously transparent, pale golden hue, slim slab of froth that disappers assuredly, while bubble float up from below. "Looks like a beer."

Aroma: wispy corny sweetness, and little else.

Taste: soft, then crisp, then gone. Lightness is indeed represented in full here, and any flavor that is present is absent before you notice. Doesn"t taste "bad" mind you, and there"s a brief bit of malt and grainy, enough thatI'd say it lives up to it's advertising. (Not that says much, being better tasting than Bud Light doesn't say I've sampled.

Dry, lightly citric finish, intensely carbonated, faint body. It does what it's supposed to....

Could it actually be happening that i"m saying good things about miller lite? What's next, I'll join the Garth Brooks fan club? Eat all my meals at Hardee's? Throw out my book collection and spend all my time in front of the Tee Vee?

Well, if that's all you want from a beer, lightness, wetness, a modicum of flavor, and the usual amount of booze, here it is, enjoy.

I'll still opt for more hops, more malt, more actual taste, and count us all lucky that such things are indeed in plentiful supply.

12-27-2005 05:31:47 | More by feloniousmonk
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

1.27/5  rDev -40.9%

Look, we all know what this tastes like and even if we don't we can easily find out for like a dollar. So why would I bother to review it? Because damnit, I had to drink it so I might as well complain about it.

With so many family gatherings and friendly get-togethers taking place this holiday season, its inevitable that someone will eventually offer you this beer, or one of its ilk. So why not simply refuse? Maybe you don't want to appear the teetotaler in front of a bunch of party animals. Maybe someone's idea of how hospitable they are being is directly related to how much you injest while in their home, and you don't want to offend. Maybe you are surrounded by folks you see once a year and you just want something to make this situation bareable and give you something to do with your figety hands.

Whatever the reason, we give in. We take it. What we find inside that can is watery. It looks like pee, has wierd vegetabale smells, and stings the mouth with its soda-ish carbonation. However, perhaps not unlike the company we find ourselves surrounded by this time of year, we endure it for the sake of togetherness. We are reminded that giving is truly about sacrifice, and that can maybe make us feel a little warmer in the gut. While this feeling is nice in its own way, once a year is, decidedly, enough.

12-26-2005 03:20:21 | More by JudgeRoughneck
kirok1999

1.53/5  rDev -28.8%

Painful to drink, especially once your palate has become educated.

Appearance- Water

Smell- Tainted water

Taste- Slight maltiness, way too much carbonation, which at least masks what would otherwise be a nasty taste.

Mouthfeel- Water

Drinkability- The only purpose of this "beer" is to get a buzz, and might I add, mission accomplished.

12-23-2005 23:45:17 | More by kirok1999
akajimmyd

District of Columbia

Appearance – golden and lively
Smell – floral hint? Grains mostly.
Taste – grainy and sweet but very refreshing
Mouthfeel – even and lively carbonation. smooth
Drinkability/notes – you can have quite a few of these. Not gonna blow you away of course but it is what it is. One of the best for the style.

12-22-2005 00:20:20 | More by akajimmyd
ChiSox05

2.93/5  rDev +36.3%

Straw yellow. Bubbles rises slowly to surface, nice white pillowy head upon pour dissipates to a ring of foam with dotted lacing.

The smell of malt without much profile, hops? maaaybe, only for spice. more of a soggy barley and grain smell. cereal with malt smell. on the other hand, nothing offbase either
not much taste to speak of, watery, light pale malt, hint of corn

Carbonation is somewhat overbearing for a beer with practically no flavor whatsoever, but it does the best with what it has to work with. crisp finish

had this on-tap, bottle, kegs, 40's, can and so on. on drinkability, i'm going on two things. 1) for a light beer, i don't think it gets much better, which is saying a lot and a little at once 2) i could put many down with no complaint if that's the only brew on hand, best straight out the can or bottle, covers smell, eases drinkability

12-15-2005 07:16:45 | More by ChiSox05
kbnooshay

1.9/5  rDev -11.6%

I had never had a miller lite, i new it would be shit, and i will never return. This came to me in a 20oz glass at macgregors. It was yellow piss with no head. The aroma of corn was barely existent. The taste was of chemicals and i couldn't make it all the way through. It even ruined my pallate, and the southern tier beers i had later were ruined because the lite melted my stomach. Not drinkable. Mouthfeel of ass.

12-11-2005 18:50:53 | More by kbnooshay
clabaugh

2.33/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear faint gold, very strawlike. Foamy, white head with poor retention. Lacing is runny, light, and dissipates quickly.

Smell: Intensely malty. Bread and cereal aromas are unmistakable. Very faint presense of hops in the scent. Not inviting, but not necessarily repulsive.

Taste: Bready, with a kind of stale maltiness. Next to no hops evident at all. The taste is subtly metallic and industrial. Miller Lite's simplicity of flavor can be a attribute and a detriment.

Mouthfeel: Thin, light-bodied, and fizzy. Leaves a mild burning sensation for a moment. Feels acidic.

Drinkability: Light and not at all filling, this beer is good for mass consumption. An unpleasant aftertaste tends to accumulate following several beers, but eventually this one goes down easy like its close cousin, water.

12-11-2005 00:12:01 | More by clabaugh
PBRstreetgang

2.6/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours an extra clear light straw. Thin and soapy head with poor retention and scarce lacing. Very light grain aroma and a whisper of grassy hops. The flavor is too light even for the style, watered down grain adjunct and a hint of spicy hops in the aftertaste. The high carbonation and light body produce a smooth but boring mouthfeel and the ultra light flavor leaves a clean but bland finish. Very easy to drink; but substituting drinkability for flavor doesn't score any points with me.

12-06-2005 03:58:22 | More by PBRstreetgang
eb003

Kentucky

3.95/5  rDev +83.7%

This is the one that never leaves my fridge. I know it's not the creme de la creme of beers, but for an American style light/lite brew...it's what I consider the best. I do think it has more flavor than most light beers...not near as wattery. It's on my list as a great drinkable beer. I have other beers higher on my list...imports and micro brews, but again... it never leaves my fridge. Pretty darn good beer in my humble opinion.

12-01-2005 04:03:05 | More by eb003
nathanho

Washington

1.2/5  rDev -44.2%

I do enjoy the clever Miller Lite ads! My rationale was, "If they are amidst such a massive ad campaign, the quality must be WAY up!", a la, MGD in the late 80's and early 90's. Boy was I wrong.

I bought a sample pack (12) of cans at a QFC one day and was unable to finish more than a few before I realized I was drinking an ad campaign made of water, stale, dried out hops and moldy barley (plus the cattle fodder they add).

Appearance - looks like someone dipped a yellow crayon in warm water. Fizzy, pastel; utterly bland.

Smell - I hate the smell of corn in a beer; I hate the smell of this beer.

Taste - I managed to gag down a few because I chilled it to 29 degrees - which sufficiently numbed my taste buds (sorry, again, guys). Tastes like paint thinner and bottle caps mixed with fermented corn.

Mouthfeel - ashamed and violated

Drinkability - I have a case of Billy Beer from 1977 that is more drinkable. To paraphrase the immortal Snoopy, this beer wouldn't be drunk by a starving cat in a lifeboat.

11-17-2005 22:12:35 | More by nathanho
jakester

1.7/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a very light straw yellow with a fizzy, one finger head of white bubbles. Head quickly drops to just a ring, with no lacing. Carbonation is very effervescent.

Aroma, such as it is, is DMS (cooked corn), light pils malt, and no detectable hops. The smell actually vanishes after 5 minutes.

First flavor is very thin pils malt, cooked corn, kind of chalky, watery, and really flavorless. Aftertaste is very short and empty.

Mouthfeel is watery thin with sharp carbonation, not very pleasant.

This is just a mess. Even for style, it's pretty bad. The main character is DMS, sulphury and thin. Insipid, vapid, and anorexic describe this "beer" very well.

10-30-2005 12:48:35 | More by jakester
nekronos

Mexico

3.55/5  rDev +65.1%

Well, not light, but it is still being in the avoiding beers field. I would bet it used to be better but the ambiscious made the owners to low the quallity. The foam is almost unexistant and did not really got the point about the difference with some other beers. At least is not that discusting as some other macro lagers.

10-20-2005 13:52:50 | More by nekronos
grindcore666

2.13/5  rDev -0.9%

Water with a couple drops of yellow food coloring. Head is a cloud of white and makes rice crispy noises.

Aroma is malts and yeast, your typical macro scent. No curveball here.

Tastes light as it suggests. Like carbonated water with a yeasty funk to it. It doesn't taste clean. Aftertaste is metallic.

Strictly for beerbongs and kegstands.

10-18-2005 05:48:27 | More by grindcore666
Bumpon10s

2.2/5  rDev +2.3%

Ugh, I've had this more times that I wish to count, I had 2 24 oz tonight.

A - Pours straw with a head that fades off as quickly as it came, what's lacing?

S - Well, I'm getting some corn, alcohol and... well thats it.

T - it's your typical macro lager, some fizz, some alcohol, and an unplaceable grain.

M - Fizz water, if you like carbonation on the mouth then buy, if you don't, well then you get the idea.

D - Well, this is where it goes up, it's a beer that is very, very low in ABV, and after 4-5 you don't know the difference anyway.

This beer used to be my choice prior to my conversion, I've had it twice since, and it has been awful, that speaks volumes.

09-23-2005 06:11:40 | More by Bumpon10s
joedon

1.7/5  rDev -20.9%

Had a few cans left over from a recent party. [No matter how sophisticated you and your friends might be, somebody always asks for a "lite beer" when we throw a party; so I oblige them].

This beer is little more than carbonated water. Nice appearance in a glass but no taste to speak of. Not difficult to drink but not a substitute for real beer.

09-13-2005 21:52:11 | More by joedon
Enola

2.65/5  rDev +23.3%

This is my old standby. I drank this beer before transitioning to dark beer. I wouldn't say this is a bad beer but it is certainly no Oatmeal Stout. A large sect af people drink these macro's so it is clear that it is drinkable. Those of us fortunate enough to appreciate a dark beer don't care much for light beer as an everyday beer. But if macro's place is to be readily available at a reasonable cost then I think this beer fills that place nicely.

09-11-2005 07:24:06 | More by Enola
ski271

2.8/5  rDev +30.2%

Appearance: Clear, medium-light straw with a large, white, foamy head that quickly diminished. Only a little lacing early.

Smell: Very mild lemon and grass… not much else.

Taste: Hay, white bread and corn. A little sweet with a short but pleasantly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin body, watery texture, lively carbonation

Drinkability: Nothing great but not horrible either. Probably above average for a macro light beer… not that that really means anything.

09-08-2005 20:51:00 | More by ski271
tgbljb

2.9/5  rDev +34.9%

poured a light yellow color with monstrous white puffy head. Smell is very non-offensive with only a slight sweetness noted. Taste is non-spectactular with only a slight sweetness present. Finished wet and refreshing. Good spacer. At least it doesn't taste bad.

09-08-2005 00:47:30 | More by tgbljb
misterscooter

2.65/5  rDev +23.3%

For a light beer, it isn't horrible. For a mass produced light beer, it could be a lot worse. The color is a darker yellow, almost gold, than I expected. Not to watery looking. Soapy head on top. The smell is beery and that's it. Not repulsive but no character.

The taste is tinny but smooth. A typical lager taste without any bells and whistles. Very smooth and goes down easily. Not so unimpressed as I expected and would choose this over other macros.

09-03-2005 05:05:29 | More by misterscooter
MurphyMacManus

2.3/5  rDev +7%

I'm ashamed to say that I actually drank Miller Lite, but it was the least of the evils at the party I attended last night. And as I was drinking my thought process was "Well, it's swill, but at least now I can review it and say exactly why it's swill." So here goes:

Appearance: Pale yellow, no head, due to the fact that I was given a "stadium pour," but for that I blame the ignorant bartender.

Smell: Honestly, this stuff doesn't smell like much at all. There's a vague beer-like aroma if you stick your nose in real close, but I think the lack of head really killed any smell the beer might have had.

Taste: Miller Lite is inoffensive. I will say that much. There was light hop and malt flavor, but the strongest thing I could taste was the corn adjunct used, and that's present in Miller Genuine Draft too. As previously stated, inoffensive, but, as such, rather boring. Kinda like bland food--there's nothing truly wrong with it, it's just unimpressive.

Mouthfeel: Unimpressive to say the least. If this stuff didn't taste vaguely like beer, I could have sworn I was drinking soda. Again, the "stadium pour" may have been the cause of some of this.

Drinkability: Because Miller Lite is so bland, it's pretty easy to just down beer after beer without realizing it. Very drinkable, but that's just about all this beer has going for it.

Overall: I don't drink this stuff unless it's free and I have no better options.

08-22-2005 16:29:25 | More by MurphyMacManus
alankwak

2.85/5  rDev +32.6%

Come on. What do you expect? Now having said that I like Miller Lite better than Mich. Ultra, Aspen Edge and Rolling Rock Green light. Before all the low carb beers, Lite was it....96 cals or so and that was back in '75. The others gave me a stomach ache(beer is not supposed to do that) but not Lite.

So pours pale and head retention is so- so. Low bitterness and weak mouthfeel but has a little well...taste. I could drink many 'O these so drinkability is good. Nice finish on this light pilsner. I like that about this beer.

08-21-2005 03:52:44 | More by alankwak
Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.