Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,099 | Hads: 4,107
2.77/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: Clear, medium-light straw with a large, white, foamy head that quickly diminished. Only a little lacing early.

Smell: Very mild lemon and grass… not much else.

Taste: Hay, white bread and corn. A little sweet with a short but pleasantly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin body, watery texture, lively carbonation

Drinkability: Nothing great but not horrible either. Probably above average for a macro light beer… not that that really means anything. (471 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +24.1%

poured a light yellow color with monstrous white puffy head. Smell is very non-offensive with only a slight sweetness noted. Taste is non-spectactular with only a slight sweetness present. Finished wet and refreshing. Good spacer. At least it doesn't taste bad. (261 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +14.2%

For a light beer, it isn't horrible. For a mass produced light beer, it could be a lot worse. The color is a darker yellow, almost gold, than I expected. Not to watery looking. Soapy head on top. The smell is beery and that's it. Not repulsive but no character.

The taste is tinny but smooth. A typical lager taste without any bells and whistles. Very smooth and goes down easily. Not so unimpressed as I expected and would choose this over other macros. (457 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -1.7%

I'm ashamed to say that I actually drank Miller Lite, but it was the least of the evils at the party I attended last night. And as I was drinking my thought process was "Well, it's swill, but at least now I can review it and say exactly why it's swill." So here goes:

Appearance: Pale yellow, no head, due to the fact that I was given a "stadium pour," but for that I blame the ignorant bartender.

Smell: Honestly, this stuff doesn't smell like much at all. There's a vague beer-like aroma if you stick your nose in real close, but I think the lack of head really killed any smell the beer might have had.

Taste: Miller Lite is inoffensive. I will say that much. There was light hop and malt flavor, but the strongest thing I could taste was the corn adjunct used, and that's present in Miller Genuine Draft too. As previously stated, inoffensive, but, as such, rather boring. Kinda like bland food--there's nothing truly wrong with it, it's just unimpressive.

Mouthfeel: Unimpressive to say the least. If this stuff didn't taste vaguely like beer, I could have sworn I was drinking soda. Again, the "stadium pour" may have been the cause of some of this.

Drinkability: Because Miller Lite is so bland, it's pretty easy to just down beer after beer without realizing it. Very drinkable, but that's just about all this beer has going for it.

Overall: I don't drink this stuff unless it's free and I have no better options. (1,444 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +22%

Come on. What do you expect? Now having said that I like Miller Lite better than Mich. Ultra, Aspen Edge and Rolling Rock Green light. Before all the low carb beers, Lite was it....96 cals or so and that was back in '75. The others gave me a stomach ache(beer is not supposed to do that) but not Lite.

So pours pale and head retention is so- so. Low bitterness and weak mouthfeel but has a little well...taste. I could drink many 'O these so drinkability is good. Nice finish on this light pilsner. I like that about this beer. (530 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -7.3%

Another Lite beer to review. Oh, joy. Appearance is the color of water with a hint of yellow. A hint of foam, but no lace. Aroma is devoid of all elements except a hint of barley. Initial taste is of grains and mild dextrose. Carbonation is abundant. Middle reveals a hint of metallic hops with a hint of citrus. Finish is unpleasant with a hint of aluminum. Take the hint, and pass. (383 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -8.6%

I think that it tasted good..only I could barely taste anything of any resemblance of a good beer. It poured a dark brownish color. It had little to no smell maybe a wheaty smell. It tasted like it was watered down and not good at all. My expectations were not high so I was not dissapointed. (292 characters)

2.64/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear light yellow color and lots of carbonation bubbles. The head is quite nice. Seems to stick around the glass for a while. Cooked corns and light lemon hops come out in the aroma. The taste is fairly clean. Grainy taste at first kind of sweet. Semi-dry metallic aftertaste. Light bodied with a pretty good drinkability, because of it's lightness. Better than most light beers but that still doesn't make it good. Next! (422 characters)

2.86/5  rDev +23.3%

Not that bad for a light beer. I like it better than Coor's light. Had a metalic smell I did'nt like,but did'nt come through in the taste. This is an average beer. If you want to drink a light,give it a shot. Is the lowest in carbs of the lights as far as I know. (263 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -11.6%

I had a few in honor of Rusy Wallace's 'Last Call' on NASCAR. Spectactularly in-the-boat hot-summer-day swamp-buggy quality. Or NASCAR-like I guess. Very boring, no surprises, turn left, turn left again sort of way. Very pale gold pour with a fluffy white head that faded faster than a politicians reputation. Smelled of wonderbread on the nose, I remember the smell unfortunately. Just no discernable taste, perhaps marketed as beer extract or something. Made from concentrate, water added, I don't know. It doesn't offend and it feels fine, is easily drinkable, but it's just not worth remembering in any fashion. (615 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -15.5%

A- pale golden with a quickly dissapating head

S- horrible smell, some hints of bread come out, but mostly just sewage.

T- nothing suprising here. although these is a distinct taste that miller has, its not good.

M- thin and watery..as expected

D- as long as you stick with these, they will get your drunk (eventually) and begin tasting like water after the first couple

"more taste" is their ad, but i dont know if thats a good thing in this case. if im drinking just to get drunk, anything will do and i will chose miller lite over many others, but ill never seek this out to drink for enjoyment. (613 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +37.9%

basicly tastes mostly like bottle. slight "canesq" taste but nothing to bark over. still pretty thing flavorwise, no suprises here.if there isnt much flavor to chamge then the can cant do too much harm. still perfer this over bud light... (238 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -6%

Wow- We had guests all weekend and with the wife's family I put in a lot of Miller Lite. They surprised me by drinking up my good beer then switching to soft drinks. I wish they had left the Coke for me.

So- I have Lite in the bottle on a lovely summer day.
It shows a thin white head on basic gold body- though SABMiller seems to make sure that they are a couple of color units darker than AB products.

Still- not much chance to find an aroma here- maybe some graininess on a good olfactory day.

Key- the taste is inoffensive. Recent commercials say it stands up well to food- well, it certainly won't overpower any food flavors. The finish is a decent carbonation wash that lets you drink more of this "fine Pilsner Beer".

Hey- what was the guy who reviewed before me thinking when he gave this a 4.45? Is he just yankin the chains? (848 characters)

2.73/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. longneck served chilled. Pale gold body with fairly active carbonation that leaves a 1/4" head and a decent amount of lace. Lots of adjuncts in the aroma - mostly corn. Pretty clean with a slight skunkiness and no hops to speak of. Pretty much the same on the palate. When swishing it in the mouth the slightest touch of biscuits shows through but you need to search for it. After swallowing, the adjuncts and carbonation drown out any potential flavor. The body is thin and crisp. As far as cheap lite lagers go, this isn't the worst, but I wouldn't make it a regular by any means. (589 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -17.7%

Offered free, two at a time, ice cold at a bullpen party at Camden Yards.
Poured into a semi-clear plastic cup. This one had actually a better color and appearance than the Bud that was going around. Faint yellow, with a little bit of carbonation and a slight head.
Aroma of plastic, alien sugar and funk. You know, the smell at the bottom of a keg holder the next morning when the ice has melted and the ugly girls have left the dorm room.
Carbonation was moderate on the tongue. Light sweetness to the malts, with an embarassing absense of anything closely resembling hops.

Again, this would be very useful, during a drought, to water my tomatoes. I also hear it is useful for slugs, how appropriate. (709 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +18.5%

straw yellow with almost zero head retention. the smell is grainy and starchy, no bad aromas, but none of the good ones either. maybe slightly floral on further inspection. the taste is of the starchy corny variety. the mouthfeel is pretty thin and seltzer like, nothing to hold onto. finishes dry. average drinkability. I've been known to choose this when nothing else decent is available. my vote for best macro light beer. (425 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -11.2%

...At a graduation party. The host said he didn't have any of "my kind of beer" and I should drink some "real beer"...Okaaayyy. I'll have some fun with this. Zero head but a small bit of lacing, which is surprising. Lots of chunky carbonation pumping through this light straw colored brew. Smells of light sweet corn and malts in a water batch. Tastes of watered down crisp lager that may have been mediocre at best before becoming .01 grams/mole BEER. Slight hop feel isn't that great but it has an appeal that might be okay to someone who doesn't know what a hop smells, or tastes like. Mouthfeel is watery and seltzery. I couldn't drink more than one of these. This "True pilsner beer" wasn't exactly all my host cracked it up to be.

Not so good, Al. (756 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from the bottle, I tried my damndest to get this to create a head. Didn't work. Light straw body, very clear, bubbly. Smells of...not much really. I smelt the alcohol, some yeast and hint of grass. Tastes like...water. Water with a little bit of beer in it. Not impressive. (280 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -8.2%

Used to drink this one religiously back in the day.

Pours a straw colored yellow with a quickly disappearing head. Some lace, which isn't bad.

Nothing smell. Grainy scents, tiny bit of hops. Argh.

Sweet taste, watery. Slightly bitter.

Light carbonation and easy to drink. Still, it's not that good. Oh well, I still like it. (337 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -19.8%

How can I review this beer? I mean, I had it at the Cleveland Indians game, right from the tap. It wasn't going to be very good. Maybe I should give it a chance and review it in the bottle at a bar? Nahhh. I never thought to try this and probably wouldn't have, but since at the stand I went too, they had it, and ONLY Lite on tap, rather walking to get a better beer (I believe they have Great Lakes at some stands..) I figured what the hell. It was wet, it was beer, it would wash down pistachios.

From the PLASTIC cup it looked golden, a little darker, but still average, and it didn't have much of a scent other than light corn scents that other Miller products seem to have. Upon sipping, tasting, feeling, it may be the tap again as it seemed watery, very watery. I know this is a light beer...

Taste? Coors. Cerial. Kix in water. Slightly detectable hops presence but my impression was the same as Coors. Corn water. It was cold through the second inning, and didn't offend when warmer, next time I want a beer at the stadium, it will be worth the walk. Drinkable only if it's all that is available and isn't 5.50 for 16oz. (1,137 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Lots o' fizzy foam. Leaves a fair amont of lacing. Nice (for style) light golden color. Carbonation high, but not ridiculous.

Smell - Sweet and adjuncty. Little stronger than I'd expect from a light lager. Not offensive.

Taste - Like it smells, mild sweet and adjuncty flavor. Has a little raw alcohol undertone. Initial flavor is ok for the style, undertone probably isn't. In general seems sweet, balanced and very much unobtrusive.

Mouthfeel - Good for a light lager. Watery, but definitely a beer foam carbonation. Not sparkling water carbonation like some macros.

Drinkability - Very quenching and easy to drink especially if you don't think about it too much.

This is definitely a pretty solid light lager. Certainly doesn't require or repay close study, though. So pair this with something spicy, an activity for which the beer is merely a throw-in or hot activity. (900 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +24.1%

Out of a can. Decanted into a large flute.

Appearance: Bright golden yellow. Small head, but I have to say it is thick and frothy.

Smell: Metallica, lemon rinds...doesn't have a strong scent

Taste: Tight and crisp carbonation. Tastes of stale lemons, cheap hops, corn, huskiness.

Mouthfeel: Skunky...and this beer is fresh.

Drinkability: This is a beer for "girls". Its easy to drink only because it has so little taste. (437 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +28.4%

Presentation: Poured a dark gold with amber hints into a traditional pint glass. A half-finger thick head dissipated rather quickly. A closer look revealed that this beer had a high level of carbonation. The scent gave off significant adjunct (corn / rice / cereal) character. It certainly had a "macro" smell to it.

Tasting: I believe that this is the best of the Big Three macro light lagers. It went down smooth and easy. Corn and rice were the major tastes on the tongue. It had a little more bitterness and carbonation than I like. As a macro beer, this is brewed for consumption, so it's quite easy to drink.

Overall, it's not as bad as people seem to think. If left to choose between the three big American macro beers, I will pick this one. (754 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Enjoyed on tap at Piccadilly Pub, Worcester, MA.

Shaker glass presentation. No head over the light straw brew, and no lacing either. Gets any points at all here because light beers are supposed to be light colored. Aroma is well, not offensive, because there isn't really one. Taste is lightly of sweet pale malts, and then all flavor is washed away by water, which there seems to be plenty of, leaving a bland bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is pretty neutral, gets dinged for lack of activity, and drinkability is high for volume, but low for desire to do so. It is what it is. (579 characters)

2.39/5  rDev +3%

Appearance – This one is just right for the style. It is light yellow in color and clear with some good carbonation. The head is big and white as the driven snow.

Smell – The nasty grain is thankfully faint, yet still can’t be ignored. I can actually smell some alcohol in this 4% ABV beer somehow.

Taste – This tastes like grain-flavored soda pop. There’s a pukish sweetness at the end that does indeed remind me of that sickening semi-sweet taste you get in your mouth after throwing up.

Mouthfeel – Light bodied of course and well-carbonated.

Drinkability – I got this out of the “guest tap” at the Flying Pig in Everett and couldn’t even finish the four ounce taster that they mistakenly brought me. (725 characters)

Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.