2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,912 | Reviews: 1,008 | Show All Ratings:
JISurfer

South Carolina

1.6/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This is just like Bud light, but tastes like popcorn. Me and my bros call it popcorn beer. Basically, it's a staple at any frat party here in the crotch of Va. Anyways, apperance is like water with yellow food coloring. There is no real distinguishing taste from this beer. The smell is pretty bad too. Kinda smells like sour milk, but not as bad. There is a mouthfeel though... of water! Drinkability is not grand either. But I did learn something about the "brew". It goes well with any cheap whiskey.

01-12-2003 20:39:20 | More by JISurfer
SchmichaelJ

2.1/5  rDev -2.3%

I had to buy a case of this for a recent holiday party for friends...I figured at the very least I'd get a review out of it and make my macroswiller friends happy. It poured a very pale, gold color with an extremely thin, almost nonexistent head. It had considerable carbonation, and looked like clean, yellow-tinted sparkling water. A somewhat malty, faintly beer-like aroma was present. The beer was extremely watered down, and I could only detect faint vapor trails of pilsner ghosts that may once have haunted this beer, but have only left a paltry skeleton. The taste wasn't necessarily bad, just virtually nonexistent. Carbonated water feels OK in my mouth, so I can't say that the mouthfeel was repugnant here. Miller Lite is one of the more palatable light beers on the big market today for session drinking. It's my choice when the selection is limited to such marcolights, but it barely falls into the "beer" category for me. I guess it's better than the Silver Bullet.

01-03-2003 22:02:01 | More by SchmichaelJ
guinness33

1.88/5  rDev -12.6%

put some in the fridge for my father and brother for christmas. unfortunately, they didn't drink them all. i figured i'd have a couple to get them out of there faster. now i remember why i haven't had one in a long, long time. typical light, american macro-brew. bland watery flavor (if you can call it that). way too carbonated. reminds me of the swill i used to chug before concerts in high school.

12-26-2002 18:13:11 | More by guinness33
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

2.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Just an average light beer at best, but then, any light beer at any given time can only hope to rise to the status of average in my beer world. Colour is a pale golden hue, limited head which disapates to nothing.....body is weak as is the taste

12-24-2002 12:43:00 | More by Shiloh
UncleJimbo

1.38/5  rDev -35.8%

I have refrained from reviewing mass produced lagers, but since I consider Miller Lite to be one of the worst light beers I have ever had, I decided to give it a review.

The taste, what little of it there is, is not good. This beer leaves a "bottled" taste in one's mouth. There is nothing special about the aroma. The color is a light amber. The mouthfeel is nothing to write home about, and since it tastes bad, the drinkability is not very good, but if you get it cold enough and are only looking to quench your thirst, it does the job. Not much good to say about this beer.

12-20-2002 14:27:04 | More by UncleJimbo
allboutbierge

Austria

2.42/5  rDev +12.6%

The Ichabod head of beers in that it has no head!!! haha, I made a funny. Smell is repulsive to even me (I worked at a human waste plant, aka poop plant this summer too). Mouthfeel is that hard carbonated water. Taste is very weak and grainy. No taste of hops or malts for that matter; its just grainy water. Drinkability isnt an issue if you can deal with a bored palate.

12-09-2002 13:40:01 | More by allboutbierge
psugrad98

2.63/5  rDev +22.3%

In my opinion, Miller makes one of the better national macro brews. Medium/Light straw in color with lazy bubbles, rich foam and clingly lace. Aroma has traces of sweet malt, but is predominated by cooked veggie husk. Spritzy on the tounge with a sweetness nicely balanced between malt and veggie adjunct. If there could be a good use of adjuncts, this would be it. Extremetly slight bitter character, though not so much from the hops. Finishes light with a cornfed sweetness.

11-06-2002 06:32:52 | More by psugrad98
Winter

Wisconsin

2.15/5  rDev 0%

Poured a clear light yellow in color with a white foamy head. Lots of bubbles showed signs of good carbonation, but was totally absent in the taste. Alcohol and hops present in aroma. Extremely thin and watery body with hardly any taste. As bland as it is, I would chose it over Bud Light any day. Seems to be a beer enjoyed most often by those who don't like beer.

On a side note, the best Miller Lite I ever tasted was poured the end of the Miller Brewing tour. The freshness and crispness of the product were unbelievable. It actually tasted good! Too bad it can't retain those qualities when distributed to the masses.

11-04-2002 22:15:19 | More by Winter
Beastdog75

2.42/5  rDev +12.6%

We have Miller Lite to thank for kicking the light beer craze into full gear. This is actually a bit better than Anheuser-Busch's light offerings because at least they attempt to retain some flavor in this beer. On to other things, this stuff used to say "a fine pilsner beer" on the label, and now they go with the even more misleading "a true pilsner beer." I guess they're now brewing this in Plzen, eh? Ho ho ho...

Miller Lite pour's a color that's between bright straw and light gold. The somewhat foamy head disappears in about a minute. The smell has that standard "musty Miller" smell (which I attribute to grain husks) and beneath that, some very adjuncty smells with some alcohol. The mouthfeel is watery and fizzy like any light beer. My first impression was that it was very soapy tasting. After that, I detected some sweet, grainy/adjunct tastes. Elsewhere on the palette it is bland and watery. Suprisingly, after awhile I could detect a tiny bit of "herbal" hop taste on the tip of the tongue. Other than that, the hops contribute a tiny bit of dryness at the end and that's it. The aftertaste is clean but grainy with a hint of alcohol taste, and I detected that AB "green apple" taste here too, but it wasn't too bad. It ends with a miniscule amount of alcoholic warmth.

Like I said, it's better than AB's light offerings and it is tastier than most light beers, but this is no substitute for a "full" beer.

10-12-2002 20:03:09 | More by Beastdog75
Dogbrick

1.5/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Why bother, seriously. At least it tasted slightly smoother than Amstel Light. If you are drinking this you really don't like beer, it's that simple. I'd tell you to go drink a seltzer water instead but that is probably more expensive.

10-02-2002 08:39:53 | More by Dogbrick
ThreePistols

What can I say, I was invitied to a party and I was excited to go... thinking that there would be beer and food (in that order).

Got there and asked the bartender for a beer and he said "Coors Light of Miller Lite?" I shuddered and said Miller Lite. So he handed me a can and I drank it.

There is not much to say about it, it was LIGHT in flavor, very light in fact. At least it was cold. It was not bad, I didn't get a headache so I gave it 2's across the board. I was thinking that there could have been at least Miller High Life but at least the food was good and so was the party. But I was disappointed with the choice of (CHEAP) beer.

By the end of the night I had a total of two beers. Oh well.

10-01-2002 12:12:19 | More by ThreePistols
Pegasus

2.3/5  rDev +7%

Its time to review one of the lesser lights of the beer world - please forgive this atrocious pun. Medium gold color with a decent snow-white head that fades to a paper-thin layer in moments. Well carbonated, the bubbles are entertaining to watch, modest lace. Somewhat sweet grainy aroma with some mild hops. Taste is slightly sweet to start, with grain notes and a sting of carbonation, hops then come into play with a slight bitterness and lemon flavors toward the end of the taste. Finish is dry and crisp. Not a terrible beer, just not that good. This beer is popular with non-beer connoseur friends, however - so its advisable to have a few in the refrigerator for them.

09-15-2002 18:37:53 | More by Pegasus
NeroFiddled

2.63/5  rDev +22.3%

Pours a fairly deep gold compared to most light beers. White head vanishes. The aroma is limited and gives an odd malt note - maybe there are some hops twisted in here. Not offensive, but not really inviting. Of course, the Lite beer drinker isn't looking for aroma. The body is thin - basically a requirement to obtain a lower caloric count through complete fermentation. Always a problematic beer for bartenders because there's no body to hold the carbonation in, thus quite a bit of foaming. The carbonation doesn't help to give any mouthfeel, leaving it "watery" (no joking). The flavor is extremely light with just a swirl of malt and no hop. There's no real finish, just a light coating in the mouth. I'm not sure about "tastes great", but it's definitely "less filling". Very drinkable because each mouthfull leaves you empty. There are no flaws to it. A POUNDABLE beer if that's what you're interested in. Also probably very refreshing when lost at sea.

08-07-2002 07:43:29 | More by NeroFiddled
StevieW

2.53/5  rDev +17.7%

The dummies in the next building over were making steaks and offered me one of these to go with it. It's not as bad as I had convinced myself it was. Clear yellow color, fluffy white head, lots of bubbles. Smell was really bitter and metallic. Taste was mostly bitter, some beerness to it, but had a really thin watery finish, and a sour aftertaste. Light, thin, and easy to drink. The first 2-3 ounces, when cold are pleasant and tolerable. I see why people drink these fast, the longer it sits after 5 minutes, the harsher it gets.

07-27-2002 13:03:11 | More by StevieW
ryanocerus

Iowa

1.5/5  rDev -30.2%

I knew the day would come, so I might as well start getting the macros out of the way. Of the 2 or 3 beers that I will not drink, this is one of them. I was fully prepared to leave, when friends forced me to stay and offered me one of these. The forced air carbonation gave a large fluffy head and the smell was bitter, but not quite a hops type bitterness. The color was a very light golden and the taste was non-existent.

07-24-2002 09:48:30 | More by ryanocerus
bditty187

Nebraska

2.2/5  rDev +2.3%

Crisp, light gold/yellow, moderately large head, very white and kind of artificial in appearance, no lace of note. Typical (light) “American Macro" constitutes the nose and palate, but maybe a tad worse... foul, grainy nose… watery and bland taste. Almost undrinkable to a refined palate, this beer is not for aficionados... There are way better “Light” beers on the market, try one of those if you must.

Side Note: Undrinkable out of the can…

07-21-2002 18:50:27 | More by bditty187
Wildman

1.63/5  rDev -24.2%

Of the megabrewers, this has to be the light beer that makes the worst impression on me. Granted all aren't a good color or smell, but the taste of this one is just rather odd.

05-29-2002 16:30:37 | More by Wildman
ebraun

1.6/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Well. This is a vapid, barely concealed mockery of beerdom. It's nothing. I couldn't take the ratings even down to 1 because it lacks enough personality to be awful. Barely any aroma, only the slightest hint of color and the taste is so watered down so as to make the carbonation dominate any possible flavor.

05-29-2002 10:06:35 | More by ebraun
cokes

Wisconsin

1.55/5  rDev -27.9%

I still put this in my bottom tier, but it deserves a bit better than my initial review (May 2002). The flavor, aroma, and body are still vapid to the point of being neutral. There is a sembalance of hoppy (though I cringe when I use that word here) crispness that elevates it slightly.

---
I'd write a review if there was anything to review here. Just God awful. One of the worst ever....right up there with Bud and Bud Light. Usually I put Miller above AB and Coors..not with this one...just plain horrible.
Pilsner huh? HAHAHAHAHAHA
Another "beer" I had at a good friend's bday party. Fortunately, I had some good stuff in reserve that I had to break out. I am sure I converted some people after the horrible duo of this and Coors Light. Rating 1.0

05-21-2002 00:22:08 | More by cokes
EagleTalon

Arkansas

2.55/5  rDev +18.6%

When I am out with friends on the weekends and I am thirsty but I don't want a beer, this is what I drink sometimes. It is good for what it is: a grain flavored, weak-alcoholic soda pop. It is not a pilsner, or any beer for that matter. If you enjoy Miller Lite, I'm with you on that--no offense intended! But, let's be honest...

05-12-2002 15:18:23 | More by EagleTalon
IrishRedRock

3.33/5  rDev +54.9%

Light beers...basically all the same. This one however, is not too bad on tap. I get it every now and then because it is easy to drink quite a few of them, and the 23 ounce pilsner is really really cheap at the bar.

04-17-2002 14:03:27 | More by IrishRedRock
jackndan

2.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Absolutely no body, very little taste, but most important, those grainy aftertastes you see with every other macro are subdued to the point where I didn't even notice them. The best light beer of the big three!

04-05-2002 20:19:51 | More by jackndan
frank4sail

1.43/5  rDev -33.5%

12 Oz bottle. Very pale yellow color. Extreamly carbonated but, bubbles are large(sign of forced carbonation to the max). No smell to write about. Slight malt flavor, no bitterness at all.. lacks any sign of hops. Slight skunk taste finish.

04-04-2002 17:31:13 | More by frank4sail
proc

2.48/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A very watery beer. This is the beer that started the light beer craze back in the 70s and well, things haven't been quite the same since have they? My father drinks this and only this. It doesn't have alot of taste, and of course, its watery, but its not horrible. On a hot day, it will quench your thirst. If you are going for flavor then this isn't what you want to drink.

03-22-2002 14:33:49 | More by proc
budgood1

2.15/5  rDev 0%

darker than most bright lagers, but does that count for anything? a swill beer that can be drank endlessly without fear of getting sick. i hate that adjunct taste and smell and it's so fizzy and metallic! ugh! a true pilsener? WHAT??? ok that all said...when you're stuck in the desert and you have to choose between this and coors light....you pick this.

03-20-2002 17:13:45 | More by budgood1
Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.