Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
Darkmagus82

3.28/5  rDev +52.6%

Poured from a 24 oz can into pint glass

Appearance - Avery straw yellow color with a big head upon pouring that dissipated rather quickly.

Smell - Smells of sweet malt of mostly corn malt.

Taste - Very light as the style would suggest. It has a slight rice and corn malt flavor, actually quite appropriate for its style.

Mouthfeel - Very light with not much viscosity or vigor.

Overall - Not a beer for drinking on its own,but does have its place in the beer world. It is higher rated in its "light" style category. Good for after a run or when wanting something extremely light with a meal (if meal is really heavy). While I wouldn't drink to enjoy a beer, it has a place when either enjoying food or when wanting a brew to cool oneself down.

12-12-2011 02:32:24 | More by Darkmagus82
berserker256

3.28/5  rDev +52.6%

This is just a macrobrew. We all know that. Made from corn, rice, straw, old mattresses, whatever. I know it's not going to be great but I have to say it's my favorite of all the light beers out there. If I feel like drinking a massive amount of beer this is the beer I choose. It tastes decent. It's VERY easy to drink. And it's only 96 calories a piece. It tastes better than Bud Light, Michelob Ultra, or anything else. I prefer Dunkels, Bocks, Stouts, and the like, but this is my 20-beer-in-a-day beer. The most drinkable beer around.

08-31-2007 20:44:20 | More by berserker256
wmtxbb

3.3/5  rDev +53.5%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Head that dissipates into lite layer of lace around the top of the beer. Color is a clear yellow brown. No visible carbonation.

Smell: Pilsner malt, maybe corn or rice malt. Not a whole lot there but there is at least something.

Taste: Pilsner malt taste that approches breakfast cereal at points. Crisp lager yeast flavor with hints of citrus. Light body, which is to be expected.

Drinkability: This isn't a D+ beer. Bud light or coors light are in the F to D+ range, this beer is in the C range. It is drinkable, sort of refreshing, and it cleanses the palate. It also brings some complexity to the style with hints of hops and some interesting malts. So it isn't a bad beer, it's just an average beer when compared to everything else. As a light lager, this beer is among the best. I don't agree with the advertising done for this beer and I don't like how this beer is portrayed, but it is still a top beer among light lagers.

11-06-2010 03:45:45 | More by wmtxbb
brjr508

3.3/5  rDev +53.5%

I just kind of figured I'd give this a try. Keep in mind, I'm reviewing it for style; if I was reviewing it based on more legitimate or comprehensive standards the score would be far lower.

Appearance: Poured out a fairly clear, though slightly yellow, liquid. It's more "beerlike" than either Coors Light or Bud Light, so I give it points for that. It looks like a typical macro, though just a bit more clear.

Smell: Again, typical macro. Corn and alcohol fill the nose. Not too much going on here.

Taste: Corn and sweetness, though certainly should not be confused with sweet corn! I assume the sweetness has to come from whatever little malt is apparent; I could not taste any hops in this brew. More taste than the offerings of Bud and Coors, though again, this is not something to be terribly excited about.

Mouthfeel: Just nonexistent. Very thin and watery, though the alcohol does provide some bitterness to keep you from drinking this like water.

Drinkability: I rate the drinkability of this as high. At just about 4.2% alcohol, it's possible to drink a lot of these. Combine this with the thin profile, and it's possible to consume a lot of these and a lot of hot dogs (or your grilled cuisine of choice) in one sitting. Just take that recommendation with a grain of salt, though, because you'd be better off drinking a lot of something more tasty.

Overall, this is probably the best "light" offering of the three main macro producers. I still think that PBR Light is a superior light offering, though it's nowhere near as ubiquitous as Miller Lite.

08-10-2007 20:12:00 | More by brjr508
kneeland

3.3/5  rDev +53.5%

Out of the top 3 light domestics, (Bud, Coors, Miller) this is my favorite. That's not saying too much, but I choose it unless something else is on sale.

It is what it is. I don't open one of these when I want to kick back and relax. I have plenty of these when I'm up and having a good time.

04-24-2010 21:42:36 | More by kneeland
deltatauhobbit

Maine

3.33/5  rDev +54.9%

Out of the BMC light beers, I think I tend to prefer Miller Lite out of all of them. Also is one of the more least "offensive" light beers available.

Pours a clear yellow, lots of carbonation, very typical of the style.

Smell has a faint whiff of malt and barley, not much aroma but nothing offensive either.

Taste is, well, pretty light, not much going on, but I will give it that it goes down smoothly and is quite crisp with loads of carbonation (not necessarily a bad thing for this beer), easily drinkable for social occasions when you're on a budget or if options are limited.

02-10-2008 06:25:33 | More by deltatauhobbit
IrishRedRock

3.33/5  rDev +54.9%

Light beers...basically all the same. This one however, is not too bad on tap. I get it every now and then because it is easy to drink quite a few of them, and the 23 ounce pilsner is really really cheap at the bar.

04-17-2002 14:03:27 | More by IrishRedRock
JoeyBeerBelly

3.33/5  rDev +54.9%

From a keg to a standard pint glass.

L - clear yellow color with a white head that went away in a few minutes.
S - I sure don't smell the 'triple hops' but it smells like beer.
T - I found this to be a little above average for the style.
F - crisp and refreshing to wash down food.
D - easy drinking and not too filling.

06-21-2010 01:11:18 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
ElijahCSkuggs

3.33/5  rDev +54.9%

Miller Lite...the beer that I've probably, to this day, drank more than any other beer. Why? Well, of course the Vortex was the coolest gimmick in the world....that had a part in it. But besides that, it's cheap, it's always at parties, and it's a easy to get drunk off of.

The appearance is akin to any other light mainstream beer out there. A light golden hue, that bubbles constantly, leaving a modest fluffy head. It's what you were expecting.

The smell is...again, that old school beer smell that you know so well. Memorable but not because of an overwhelming positives or negatives.

Again, it's average as it gets. It does have a slight sour/off feel, but it's entirely pleasant and has no true qualities that'll have you nodding or shaking your head.

Drank too fast and you'll cough. It's light and bubbly. Not bad at all; especially if you like to burp with friends.

The drinkability factor here is without question. It's a very easy beer to slug. It's been produced for that very reason. Pleasant, bubbly, been-there-before type of beer that you'll be downing like water.

09-25-2010 17:27:04 | More by ElijahCSkuggs
FightingEntropy

Presentation: draft on tour at Miller in Milwaukee

A: straw gold, clear, white head with very tight white bubbles that didn't last long

S: grainy nose, a little hops and light green apple, a bit floral

T: carbonic bite, sweet light malt, no hop flavor to speak off, but very fresh and clean compared to any ML I've had before. No aftertaste, semi-dry finish, nothing negative and some light postives

M: watery with just a hint of body, excessively smooth

D: not bad. Bet ML I've ever had, very smooth, and nonoffensively refreshing with a nice sweet malt and floral taste. Rating is for within it's style and the freshness on site. Won't drink it if I have any other reasonable option.

12-01-2007 17:30:43 | More by FightingEntropy
snitsky

3.34/5  rDev +55.3%

Its a light beer and very light in color. Tastes like any light beer which tastes watered down. This light beer tastes better than most other light beers such as Coors Light, Bud Light, etc.. because it has a thicker taste and tastes more like regular beer. However the label lies saying its a Fine Pilsner Beer and its anything but fine. For light beer its drinkable but not something I would prefer to drink or enjoy drinking. Great for parties or events to bring beer to share since its pretty cheap.

08-12-2014 03:52:37 | More by snitsky
Jtscragg

3.34/5  rDev +55.3%

08-25-2014 23:31:31 | More by Jtscragg
Spikester

Oregon

3.38/5  rDev +57.2%

This product has been on the market for at least thirty years. It was one of the first American light beers. It is better than average for the style.
Pours gold with a decent white head. Very little lacing. Aroma is malty some minor hops.
Taste is slightly sweet malts with just a touch of bitter hops in the finish. Carbonation is slightly over the top but pretty typical for macros. Low calorie, low alcohol, low taste.
If you are in the market for this type of beer give this a try.
Update Feb. 27, 2014.
The head lasts a good 10 minutes and the lacings are impressive. That is all I wanted to add to my previous review.

11-19-2008 04:59:55 | More by Spikester
matty

3.38/5  rDev +57.2%

Light yellow colored beer with rapidly fading head.This is an easy drinking smooth light beer which goes well with a family bbq or on a football Sunday.It might not taste as good as some of the micros but some days you gotta go back to where you started.

10-11-2008 04:54:53 | More by matty
NickCel1

3.38/5  rDev +57.2%

Looks like the standard lite beer, light yellow, some lingering lace. Head disappears after a minute or two, and the taste is pretty straightforward, relatively sweet. I think in terms of lite beers this is definitely one of the best for price vs. value - way better taste than Bud Light, but not exactly up there with Sam Adams Light or anything. If you bashed it before, do a blind taste test among a few lite beers and see where you rank it, I guarantee it's near the top.

01-31-2005 20:43:20 | More by NickCel1
Walsar

3.4/5  rDev +58.1%

I think to be fair - you have to take into account you are reviewing a lite beer and that it is supposed be like it is....

As a light beer this is my favorite with Amstel a second - and Coors Light a distant third.

No head --- pale yellow color - not a lot of taste (more than coors light or bud lite) blah blah blah

Take it for what it is a beer to eat buffalo wings with or to wash down that bacon cheeseburger.

03-07-2006 00:54:00 | More by Walsar
ghebel

Iowa

3.43/5  rDev +59.5%

A - Pours clear, straw/yellow color with a white, bubbly 1 inch head that leaves no lacing on the glass.

S - Grainy, light beer-like, but with some hint of Pilsner malt.

T - Compared to other light lagers, this has some flavor. Tastes of mild Pilsner malt.

M - Thin, biting carbonation.

D - Tastes great, less filling.

Overall - If I rated this beer solely by comparison to other light lagers of the same class, it would be an A+. So instead, I also considered it's qualities as a beer in general. This is a good beer for what it is. (Whisper) I actually like it quite well. For the number of calories, it has good flavor and it seems to have more body than the others. I think I just changed brands for my "day on the boat" beer or when I just want something lighter.

04-14-2009 22:53:42 | More by ghebel
mdwalsh

Iowa

3.43/5  rDev +59.5%

This beer is ok to drink if your un-beer-loving family has to get something, or if you've had several real beers and your taste is shot, or if you go to the bar and someone else is willing to pay.

I find Miller Lite to be much more drinkable than Bud Light, wwwaaayyy less carbonation. There is actually some taste and smell and it isn't wholly offensive. Mouthfeel I would compare more to gatorade or lemonade than water. It basically feels like water with something in it.

02-10-2009 16:22:21 | More by mdwalsh
KevinB

3.43/5  rDev +59.5%

I'm having one left over from a ballgame. I've had alot of these over the years. For what it is, it's good, out of the big 3 lites this is the one that I prefer. It's the only big lite beer that has any flavor. When given some nice treatment and poured into a pilsner glass the beer actually looks nice, it has color and leaves some lacing.
Body is a sparkling gold topped off with a foamy white head. Aroma is of faint hops. Taste and Mouthfeel is watery, clean, crisp , and light with a touch of hops.
Overall , this is a thirst quencher meant to have cold and out of a can or bottle. One could drink these all day, they are inoffensive and have some flavor.

08-25-2007 04:53:24 | More by KevinB
EvilKeith

Alabama

3.43/5  rDev +59.5%

Pours a clear bleached out straw color. Starts with a fizzy white head that fades quickly. Lace is not present.

Smell is faintly floral and grainy.

Taste is slightly sweet and semi-metallic. The highly active carbonation seems to numb the tongue. Crisp, clean and slightly dry on the finish.

Light bodied, thin mouthfeel. Very active carbonation. Very drinkable, nothing about this beer is offensive or notable for that matter.

I have to admit that I probably buy 5 or 7 cases of this every year. It is perfect for canoeing or fishing trips. I don't mind as much if it gets spilled in the canoe or boat.
I save the better beers for when we beach our canoes or take the boat back to shore.
It does have it's place. As light lagers go, it does seem to have a bit more flavor than your average macro "light".

04-16-2006 21:15:30 | More by EvilKeith
bnes09

3.43/5  rDev +59.5%

Light straw-colored liquid with lots of bubbles. Completely transparent. Formed a one finger snow-white head with some initial lacing but did not stick around long.

Smell is clean with faint grains and just the slightest hint of biscuity malt.

Graininess all throughout the flavor as well. Not too much depth here. I can detect a touch of lemony hop, slightly more than most light beer but still weak.

Light-bodied as expected with ample carbonation. No texture. No horrible aftertaste. No drying effect. Just a crisp, clean finish.

With the style in mind, this one is slightly above average. It is nothing special and I won't be drinking it routinely but at least it has mild hints of flavor instead of nothing at all.

07-08-2010 14:09:32 | More by bnes09
ThomasMetal75

3.45/5  rDev +60.5%

*Come on Bros! A 59/100 rating?!?! It's not even worth the time they took to rate it!*

(Paring this with pork tacos, and it's the perfect match)

A- Just looks like an American beer: yellow, golden straw appearance. It has a head that is typical to miller beers: big, frothy, with lots of large carbination bubbles. Actually leaves an OK lacing for a light lager. Lacing puts this beer into the next point over average.

S- Musty, wet grains, sweet, very light spice. Beady as well. The light breadiness makes it slightly above average.

T- Sweet, grainy, slightly spiced from the hops (SLIGHT). Crisp and refreshing, with a clean water taste. Very carbonated! Malty breadiness is noticeable. But grainy and sweet are the tastes here in Miller Lite.

M- Just like water. Very thin body and super easy to put down. That's it! But because it's not water I'm drinking, it won't get a 5 from me.

*Overall, Miller Lite is fine. There's nothing wowing about it, but it's certainly not offense in any way. It's main issue is that it's just another run of the mill American lager. It's got only a slight spicy hop note, but that's about all that makes it different from Bud or Coors Light. But please don't bash this beer, even if you are a craft beer drinker (if I wasn't a craft beer enthusiast, why would I be reviewing beers on this site?).

05-25-2013 21:05:37 | More by ThomasMetal75
umustdrink

3.45/5  rDev +60.5%

Reviewed to style, per BJCP category 1A guidelines. I found this in my in-laws fridge, it's not something I would normally drink, but I'm not going to slam it because it doesn't taste like an IPA.

A - Poured a pale yellow color, aggressively poured to get a 1/2" head which faded to just a ring around the outside. No lacing.

S - Sweet corn, a light green apple sourness. Little to no bitterness. I'm not getting any hop character.

T - Light corn sweetness, maybe a slight peppery note. Lingering light spicy flavor.

M - The carbonation provides a nice bite, it's somewhat creamy. It's very light but not quite watery.

O - This is really what a baseline light lager is supposed to taste like. It's clean and light, there are no weird off flavors.

08-09-2014 18:04:57 | More by umustdrink
halo3one

Georgia

3.46/5  rDev +60.9%

Bottles, cans, draft...

A - pale, golden yellow, 1/2 inch of froth, minor lacing

S - bitter, bland, stale

T - watery but light, bitter, a little hoppy, malty

M - clean, slight stale aftertaste

O - judging it for what it is and for the style/class that it's in, it's one of the best

06-15-2014 22:25:55 | More by halo3one
thevanillaninja

3.48/5  rDev +61.9%

Honestly, my first review. Been drinking Beer for awhile, been reading Beer reviews for a little less longer, been reviewing Beer myself for a very short time (so far as yet.)

Miller Lite is my go-to cheap Beer. It's what my wife drinks. It's what I'll drink when I'm serving others, and I still want to semi-enjoy what I've got. I love hundreds of other Beers, and I'll pay plenty for a worthy Beer other than Miller Lite. But, when it comes to $13 for for a case, not a sixer, I'm down.

I'm not a Bud fan, I'm really not a Coors fan, and I can't do anything less than $10 a case - natty, busch, whatever; unless I'm using it for Beer pong, it isn't much worth drinking. I can always do some Miller Lite, because it's easy to go down, it has a hint of flavor, and it makes me happy. I can drink an entire case, or just enjoy one or two at dinner. It's very easy going down past your palette, it's bubbles make you think it's soda, it's little malt taste makes you think it might be Beer. A session Beer for sure; an enjoyable Beer, not so much. If you're trying to branch out to real Beer flavor, taste, and enjoyment, work towards this one at the very least. If you don't like anything that tastes slightly like malt, hops, barley, or flavor, go somewhere else. But Beeradvocate isn't the place for you either then I guess.

10-11-2011 23:08:50 | More by thevanillaninja
Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.