Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
2.17/5  rDev +0.9%

Wow, after having one of these for the first time I can honestly say there's less flavor here than Miller High Life.

Fizzy, canary yellow, ML has a bit of head and lace but nothing like its "champagne of beers" brother. There's major corniness on the nose, and well, a lack of anything too substantial to compare to.

The taste of the beer is pretty much like you expect it, watery, slightly grainy/corny, and borderline drinkable. I might go for one of these colder than hell after a round of yard work.

Lacks the disappearing quality of Bud or Coors ... leaves a little lingering "beery" flavor. It's crap, IMO better than the other two Big Boy's "light" beers. If you gotta go cheap, go "High Life".

GreenWBush, Nov 24, 2004
2.65/5  rDev +23.3%

Poured a very pale yellow with a 3 finger head.Head lasted only a few minutes until gone.Smells like typical macrow brew {i think they all smell kinda pukey,esp coors lite}.Taste,, well lack of,, its a very tolerable beer ,not much taste so you cant say its bad . My usual beer if theres nothing worthwhile at the bar. Best thing about this stuff,,no hangovers!

tweeder263, Nov 22, 2004
2.17/5  rDev +0.9%

Well I had some of this because I was with a woman who was on one of those low carb diets and I was trying to remain social.

The beer pours a pale yellow and has a very weak white head on it.

It smelled kind of yeasty.

Taste: Not much.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, no body to speak of.

Drinkablility: only could bear one pint.

Tried not to be a beer snob, but... life is too short to drink this stuff

Tang07, Nov 14, 2004
1.95/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a light clear straw piss yellow color with a thin bright white headskie. Tastes like beered down water. Some light sweet adjunct malts are in there, but it's really a weak weakness of flavor overall. But then again, this is a light beer. Not much to the mouthfeel and not so drinkable as it doesn't have many redeming values. Nonetheless, still better than most light american macros I've tried.

scottum, Oct 24, 2004
3.18/5  rDev +47.9%

PLAY BEER!!! (from the football commercials)

Appearance-pale golden color, sort of dirty, medium head that sticks to the glass which surprises me.

Smell- Faint alcohol is present, corn, maybe a little cabbage, it will do.

Taste-smooth, easy to put down, pretty flavorful, aftertaste could be better but for a light beer not bad at all.

Mouthfeel-aftertaste needs work, while its in your mouth though its enjoyable.

Drinkability-its a light beer, and a good one at that, you should have no problem drinking another, and another, and another.

Overall-this beer works, not a bad light beer in any regard. I think it's better than Coors Light, which I found ok so I would have no problem drinking this anytime. Not quite up to my favorite light lager Michelob Light but solid nonetheless. PLAY BEER!

TheDeuce, Oct 13, 2004
2.35/5  rDev +9.3%

You know, I had low hopes for this beer going in. It was the pitcher special, so who could go wrong with cheap pitchers? Let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised, it surpassed my current macro expectations.

Pours piss yellow. Smells like skunk, alcohol and wheat. Your basic macro. Tastes like wheat and alcohol, smoother than I expected. Better than Bud should be their slogan. I'd get this again.

aquatonex, Oct 08, 2004
1.58/5  rDev -26.5%

My buddy had a party last night and he ended up gettin a half barrel of none other than Miller Lite. So, not being one to turn down a keg and not wanting to seem snobbish enough to bring my own personal beer, I drank it for the night.

Taste seems to be a little crisper out of the keg...but again there really is nothing to this brew. Thankfully, it was smokey as hell in his place so I couldn't really taste anything anyhow. It was decent for the night and it goes down like water...just with a little added color and carbonation...

orbitalr0x, Oct 03, 2004
2.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Not a great beer but definitely a beer that I can sit down and drink anytime. Best word to describe it is average. It never disappoints but you also never say damn that was a good beer. The appearance and smell are bland but it does go down easy. I usually keep a 6 pack on hand since most of my wife's friends can't handle my Hefe's or Wit's.

TexIndy, Oct 01, 2004
1.7/5  rDev -20.9%

A friend left a couple of bottles in my fridge, so what the hell. The bottle actually says "355 mL" -- they don't export this crap, do they?

Pours a dehydrated piss yellow with a fluffy white head that quickly fades to white patchiness in the center of my glass. Poured into an Arrogant Bastard shaker to try to scare it into tasting like something.

Smells like water. Honestly, I smell nothing.

Has some taste though. By some, I mean hardly any. If you soaked some corn in some vodka and boiled off most of the alcohol, I think you'd be pretty close to this recipe. I used to think that this stuff tasted terrible when I drank it in high school; now I don't think it tastes like much of anything, good or overly bad.

Mouthfeel? Ha, sure. Nope.

Unfortunately, there's one more of these in my fridge. Hopefully someone will come over soon and discard it for me. Probably tastes good if poured into a funnel.

I have fond memories of trying this in high school, proclaiming, "I hate beer," and promptly swilling a liter or so of Jim Beam. Ah, how I've grown.

altctrlsdelete, Sep 18, 2004
2.17/5  rDev +0.9%

had this one at a local bar for a nickel a pitcher. every wednesday night is nickel pitchers so i figured no harm in trying it out. Poured out a light colored yellow into the plastic cup they gave me. Head was pearly white but didnt stick around for long. lacing was little to nothing. aroma was non-existant. first sip tasted like beer flavored water. slight taste of corn husks and a slight sugar sweetness, Tasted like they added a lot of water to the tap on wednesday night. not a bad beer if youre paying 5 cents per pitcher. finish was wet and tasteless. enjoy

jayb, Sep 14, 2004
2.25/5  rDev +4.7%

This is one of those beers that I believe the bros should create a new style style category for: piss beer. Joking aside, this beer is not as horrible as bud lite or coors lite. This is far from a compliment, however, as this beer is still one of the worst in the world. It has the light yellow appearance that I have come to excpect from BMC, and it just looks more like urine than beer. Carbonated urine. The smell is no different than any other light lager, either, smelling of corn and grain. The taste is surprisingly earth and grainy, or at least more so than bud light and coors light. This beer is not worth money when there are so many better options out there, but when faced with the choice between it and its competitors, vote miller lite.

bignick, Sep 13, 2004
2.3/5  rDev +7%

This review isn't meant to sound apologetic but one of the most efficacious methods of recognising a great beer is to have, at intermittent periods, a poor, or sub-standard beer. It's all part of the learning experience.

Now that I have slummed it a bit it's back to my Kapuziner.

mwrseeley, Aug 28, 2004
2.35/5  rDev +9.3%

This is one I’ll go to under dire circumstances, was a beer I thought was decent before I became educated.

Pours out a slightly yellow tinged shade of water…haha, seriously this is scarily clear. I’m talking you could read the newspaper through this. A head rolls up nicely, but disappears just as quickly.

Aroma is kinda crisp, but still has a mushy “corniness” hovering above it.

Taste isn’t so bad for what it is, real light and crisp when ice cold. Light malt presence up front with a bit of an adjuncty flavor in the middle and a crisp little hop finish.

I can think of worse things to drink when out at a swill bar, it is what it is.

FormatKid, Aug 08, 2004
2.88/5  rDev +34%

had on tap at local swill joint with little else to offer(only beer on draft). appearence is a robust gold with heavy carbonation. very little head with no retention. very light lacing. smell was very little. slightly sweet/sour. taste was light, watery, and unimpressive. little or no hop character. slight corn flavor mixed with rusty iron. slightly bitter aftertaste. mouthfeel is light, bubbly seltzer-like. drinkability is better than average because of ability to drink a dozen without breaking a sweat. not all bad. a swill bar favorite.

ramrod666, Jul 25, 2004
2.88/5  rDev +34%

Pale straw color with a large bubbled white head at first which settles to a film. Has light-decent carbonation. Light cooked corn araoma and taste and not much else. Crisp and dry overall with a touch of sweetness. Light bodied and refreshing.

Hard to believe this was one of my favorites for so long before seeing the "light"...

Per can: "Pilsner Brewed", 96 cal, 3.2g carbs, 0.9g protien, 0 fat.
Per Miller website: 4.2% ABV

'03294' lasered on bottom
Tasted: 07/22/04

(12 oz. can)

RBorsato, Jul 23, 2004
2.65/5  rDev +23.3%

Pale yellow, like straw or every other American Macro that you're likely to come across at a BBQ party or a smelly college apartment. No head.

Sweet, more flavorful than say Bud, but not a complex flavor. A little corny. Best when poured into a tall glass and drank like water.

mynie, Jul 12, 2004
2.6/5  rDev +20.9%

Had this at a friends 4th of July shindig after I ran out of the beer I brought.. I learned one important lesson that day.. When you bring good beer to a house that usually has shite beer they will drink your good stuff first!! Oh well. It pours a light yellow smells like nothing. The taste is boring and adjunct laden. The best thing that can be said for this beer is that it goes down easy after you have had several beers before it. It is drinkable because its not like drinking much. I wont buy it but if someone hands me one I am not snobby enough to turn it down

TinusTime, Jul 11, 2004
2.28/5  rDev +6%

440ml silver can

Pours with a light yellow body, little head , retention or lacing

Smell, corn adjuncts, little malty whiff

Taste, crisp, dry and corny, not much else to speak of

A standard pale, light adjunct lager, nothing offensive but dull as could be

cypressbob, Jul 09, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +92.1%

At the first whiff after the cap comes off, the odor brings a common or everyday average brew to your mind. Upon the first sip, you can right off the bat tell its a light beer even if the label is ripped off or its on tap. The smell alone brings an average, not not be appealing to some. As the beer sits in your mouth you can defiantly feel the carbantion and the freshness. I give the drinkability something rare and perhaps good. May seem like an average beer to some, but good to me. I suggest to drink it down cold. You can tell this isn't supposed to be a specialty beer, but defiantly beats Bud Light in the taste test to my standerds.

DMXLOX22, Jun 15, 2004
1.9/5  rDev -11.6%

full foamy white head, clear light yellow color. not all that bad in appearance and expected for the style.
sour tartish aroma. not sure where thats coming from.
light on flavor overall. sort of watered down. not bad, just uhh light?? after sitting for a while still not much bitterness or anything else. no bad aftertaste though.
yeah, drink it cold from the bottle and its ok.

joecast, Jun 08, 2004
2.42/5  rDev +12.6%

Had a mug of this at a local diner. It was the only thing on tap and cost $1. I thought, "What the hell, I can't remember the last time I had this, and I can rate it for Beer Advocate!"

Man, this beer is lighter than even the lagers I'm used to having. It looks like light yellow water with a large, but very unsubstantial head. Quite carbonated, thanks to the tap, I guess.

Its smell is very light. Just a hint of grain and maybe a teeny note of hops.

The taste surprised me because it wasn't bad. Just very, very light. Maybe I didn't taste any off flavors because I was drinking it extra cold.

As far as light beers go, this one is OK. With its light taste and body you could drink a ton of 'em, which I guess is Miller's point.

Shaw, May 30, 2004
1.95/5  rDev -9.3%

There are several Big Questions for many Americans: Ford vs. Chevy, apple pie vs. cherry pie, Betty vs. Veronica, Red Sox vs. Yankees and McDonald's vs. Burger King. Where one sits on these most important questions of our times speaks volumes about one's character and good sense. Loyalty to one or the other often runs strong and deep with many a long night in a dimly lit bar spent arguing the merits of one particular side.

With that in mind, I decided to answer, for myself, another of the Big Questions, namely Bud Light vs. Miller Lite. Neither has much to recommend it, but one has to be better, er... less bad... doesn't it? My Bud Light review is already 'in the can' so to speak, so here we go with the Miller.

Absolutely clear, pale straw. The head is very nearly cotton white and actually seems to have some substance to it. It's not that impressive, but it is more dense than I expected. A little lace is actually beginning to stick to the upper reaches of the glass. The smell isn't impressive, but neither is it offensive. Mildly toasted grain is about it. The taste is sub-par, but isn't as nasty tasting as the Bud Light was. Slightly sour grain with a mild bitter bite is about all that I can appreciate.

The mouthfeel is thin, watery and overly fizzy. In other words, it's a lite/light version of a macro lager. I will never buy this beer again and would have second thoughts about drinking it if nothing else was available. That said, I'd at least be able to get it down and keep it down, unlike Bud Light. So there you have it. Miller wins the battle of the lightweights, although that isn't saying a whole helluva lot.

Oh yeah, the answers to the questions posed above are: neither one, cherry, Veronica, ML baseball can kiss my fed up, disillusioned ass, and Wendy's.

BuckeyeNation, May 24, 2004
3.18/5  rDev +47.9%

Not a bad beer, not a good beer, but not a bad beer. Best of the big three in taste and drinkablility. It's a good session brew for the price, and one hell of a good fall back beer. Not a brew for a fine lobster meal, but it gets the job done after a hot days work.

cptnjck101, May 17, 2004
2.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance - pours a pale, sparkling yellow into a beer mug. White fizzy head never exceeds a half-finger. A few bubbles hang out on the surface. On a hot day this could look appealing, otherwise lower your expectations mightily.

Aroma - stale grain at first develops into a light sweet corn. One of the few beers that I really prefer not to sniff. Just nothing pleasant here. Reminds me of those parties of my youth, when you woke up the next morning and had to clean up the party site, cleaning up cups half-full of warm, flat, beer, this one kinda smells like that almost right outta the can.

Taste - weak malts, diluted corn actually, lots of bubbles, giving it a club soda saltiness, probably helps to mask the absence of any hops. The colder this beer is imbibed, the better, mid-30s would be ideal. Aftertaste is a salty, stale grain taste with just a touch of sweetness. Again, palatable at best if icy cold, but approaches undrinkability fast as it warms, I find myself not enjoying the last few chugs.

Mouthfeel - thin, crispy, very carbonated. For a thirst quencher, it fits the bill, but otherwise has no character and offers no help to the overall profile.

Drinkability - I bought this 12-pack thinking someone in our sand volleyball league liked it, but I was wrong. IMO, it's not really a good summer beer if you plan to have it in play for more then ten minutes. It gets nasty as soon as it climbs into the upper 40's in temp. Perhaps it was the inspiration for beer funneling. Better as a winter party beer, a football game when it's nice and cold outside, ice fishing, intramural curling leagues, those kinds of things.

brewdlyhooked13, May 13, 2004
2.78/5  rDev +29.3%

Had this with pizza as Bud Lite was also served and I thought id see if there was any difference. It poured a clear straw-like yellow-gold with a fair one-inch white head. Carbonation is up so some fizz aids in taking the head to a very thin film, if at all. Lace is in small spots, to nothing. The aroma is grain, can-like, not sweet. The taste is also grain, semi sweet corn with a citric hop note that pretty faint. The mouthfeel is left with a dry metal feel, again perhaps the can. Drinkability was just ok. Nothing i'll turn down if offered and its priced reasonable. Not one i'd keep in my home stock. As for the Bud Lite, I thought Miller did a better job. The appearance is not as watery, the head show's up, and you get some citric taste backed by the corn, where-as AB tends to skunk it up abit. A true Pilsner beer, ha, ok perhaps.

chilidog, May 02, 2004
Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.