Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.
Reviews by DoubleJ:
1.74/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The final entry in the small contest known as the High-Low Invitational, where I try out a few unusual styles with a wide range of ABV. Bud Ice Light beat out Coors NA for who was fairer in the land, but now comes a malt liquor packing a 7.5 ABV punch standing in the former's way to which brew takes home the prize in this small contest. Inspired by The Game's track "Ol' English" (younger folks might know this), on to the beer:

I poured it out of its 16 ounce can into a pint glass just to see the look. Looks kind of like pale lager, but has a surprising head that holds well. The smell could be more polished; corn fructose, alcoholic, and a bit of husk. Now comes the punishment; there's a corn syrup aroma in the back of the taste, but is mainly dominated by a sharp stab of alcohol and metal. Very painful to consume. I can't imagine drinking this to get drunk. Stay away from flammable objects if you do, as you'll feel the alcoholic fumes go down your throat.

Now to reveal the winner: And the winner is...

Bud Ice Light!

A very exciting meet we had here, recognizing the beer styles untested to most. Hats off to Light Ice, Malt Liquor, and Non-Alcoholic for their participation. Check my previous reviews to see what you missed of this contest. Good night everyone!

If there were negative ratings I would choose them.

2.75/5  rDev +26.7%

We used to pay crackheads in Trenton 2 dollars to buy us these. It was worth it.

1.73/5  rDev -20.3%

Presentation: 40 oz clean glass twist off bottle, no freshness date. Says it is brewed by Olde English 800 Brewing Company but this is a Miller product.

Appearance: Clear yellowish golden colour with a wispy white lace that has a hard time staying around. Looks like beer that has been sitting out for a while.

Smell: Grainy with a cooked corn grit aroma, slightly metallic and not too pleasing. Light whiff of alcohol also.

Taste: Abrasively crisp, carbonation is high with a slick moderate body. Big grainy flavour bursts from an astringent character, big twang of used up hop that throws down a sharp bitterness with no flavour at all. Metallic and cooked corn runs amuck with a nearly cloying sweetness. Mild clean fume of alcohol warms the throat and body, astringent flavours ride far into the finish.

Notes: Yikes! This is some harsh stuff, it is more than a chore to swill down 40 ounces of this. Many names have been given to this brew but “Ghetto Juice” sticks the most. This seems to be one of the worst but one of the most talked about malt liquors … celebrities that drink this style of beer usually drink this. Go figure?

1.03/5  rDev -52.5%

All 40 ounces preserved in it's classic presentation, Olde E is a legendary beer. Yeah, right this beer is ghetto swill in all it's glory. Made famous by Run DMC in eighties, this beer pours a golden similar to apple juice hue. Pours with a thick foamy head that cloys around the rim of my mug, with a decent head retention. Aroma is straight up unpleasant, all cereal grains with an astringent slightly cooked vegetable scent. From the smell you would think this stuff could take of some layers of paint from the wall. Taste is highly carbonated watery yet acoholic harsh bitter nasty ass taste. Not a slow sipper chug this and bypass the palate, this beer is for getting folded. I really can't tolerate this one but it's a favorite of my friends. So, in closing there is no question this is one shitty beer. Watch out for the hangovers this beer is known to cause, in my opinion steer clear.

4.11/5  rDev +89.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer in college. Me and my roommates bought kegs of this sutff for THE house parites in college. We willl tell the guest it was budweiser and they would suck it down like it was water. At the end party , we would make more money because we would only have to buy one keg instead of two KEGS of budweiser. These college parties would pay for your rent and extra spending money. Thanks alot Miller Company

Now , 20 year later I bought some of can last night. I was not excepting much it was suuprising good. THe smell was good. It smells like a american beer like metal.

I drank the beer cold in a mug and it was suprising Very crisp, the carbonation gives it a very smooth body. High marks for good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, and not much -lingering taste. I . I drank my 24 oz in half an hour. This beer gets the job done!

3.63/5  rDev +67.3%

Well, Olde English 800 is one of the mildest malt liquors available, and has a relatively low (5.9%) alcohol level. It has a thick, white head, lots of lacing, and higher-than-usual carbonation (for this genre). Aroma is faint, but very grainy (corn). Appearance is yellow and clear. The taste is more American-style lager than the harsh, cloying presentation one usually encounters with the malt liquor style (and which appeals to me). Mouth feel is heavy and filling. Overall, I really like OE 800, and it is a classic. NOTE: only drink this out of the can as the clear bottle allows light to cause spoilage.

3.25/5  rDev +49.8%

A- Just looked like a mass produced American style lager when poured into a mug. Thick white head that shriveled up to nothing. It was very clear and golden with lots of bubbles.

S- Wet corn husks and very sweet barley malts.

T- Same as scent basically. Sweet corn husks and barley malts. There is a prominent grainy flavor. No alcohol taste was detected. Very, and I mean very, light hop oil taste was there. Virtually no hops were noticeable. It just reminds me of a sweeter High Life really. Pleasant as far as malt liquor is concerned.

M- Mouthfeel here is medium, but it's still pretty mild as far as American lagers are concerned. There is a bit of a corn syrup thickness. It is thicker and richer than a Miller High Life for sure. The drinkability is extremely high on this beer. This and private stock are the most palate friendly malt liquors I've ever had.

*I'm looking at this beer as a malt liquor and a American style lager only. If I'm looking at in that category, it's a good beer. Like I said in the mouthfeel, Private Stock and this are the best malt liquors I've ever had. Private Stock was my all time favorite malt liquor. But there is nothing wrong with this beer as a malt liquor. And at the price this beer is at, it's a winner. Don't knock Olde English 800 till you've tried it for yourself.

look. admittedly, this is cheap beer. but it serves a purpose, and i feel it does its job very well. this is the best 40 money can buy. sure, it's not a triple-fermented ale made by belgian monks who have taken an oath of silence, but that doesn't mean its not enjoyable. this is all some people can afford. and if old e is all they can afford, don't you think they should be able to drink in peace without beer snobs looking down their noses at them? i love a good belgian tripel, but beer is beer.

3.8/5  rDev +75.1%

poured from a 40oz bottle into my Duvel tulip...wait who am i kidding? i drank this bastard straight outta the bottle, wrapped in a brown paper bag as any post-recession crazed, red-blooded american would!

a: straw golden color with a foamy white head. not much else to speak of.

s: sweet malty aroma, slight notes of toasted corn and alcohol. c'mon, its malt liquor; the aroma is not supposed to be bold or pleasant.

t: more sweet malted corn flavor with a decent kick of alcohol. the flavor is definitely stronger in the west coast formula due to the 7.5% ABV. not quite as watery as the east coast version but it still finishes nice and dry as any true malt liquor does.

m: quite watery and boozy. not much malt flavor to cover the alcohol but enough to keep it from being totally undrinkable (in my opinion, of course).

o: this is probably my favorite true malt liquour on the market (no, Rogue's old "daddy's little helper" or Dogfish Head's "Liquor de Malt" do not count as a true malt liquour. sorry.). I'll take this over Colt 40, St. Ides, Mickey's or Cobra any day but Private Stock still might be my favorite. i was shocked to see this has an ABV of 7.5%. i did a bit of research and apparently the west coast gets a stronger version than we do back east. weird.

4.01/5  rDev +84.8%

Good by itself, great mixed with equal halves orange juice. The hops are calling my name. Every time one of my train hoppin' buddies brings one of these bad boys along, I cave and trade my last lucky strike for it. It puts hair on the chest. Makes ya tough!

3.81/5  rDev +75.6%

(review #700 - poured into an English pint)

A: perfectly clear, light piss gold hue... chemical-scum-structured fizzy head, falls to a thin collar... actually leaves some streaks of lace, if you chug

S: cidery lager, maybe a touch cheap champagne-like... not much malt aroma to be had... extremely weak overall, however, not so much off-putting...

T: certainly has a malty base to it, with not as much of the depth of grain flavor stripped away as I might've thought... light corn syrup thread - similar to fake maple syrup (sans maple flavoring)... perhaps a faint newspapery note in the finish... touch of a metallic twang in the aftertaste...

M: fills a bit full at first, but soon washes away mildly sudsy and pretty dang dry... the delicate fusels go right to your head, giving it a slight woozy hum... light-moderate gassy-ness... mild heat flare and mucus-inducing in the backs of the nostrils, if you chug

O: first time I had this I was 16 - swilled it from the bottle like a baby, eyes all waterin'... a friend and I went with this chick he was trying to make out with over to her ex-boyfriend's house to get weed... stayed till 'round 5am, got all dizzied up, I left just as my friend and the chick started goin at it... apparently, the ex woke up and found them together on the couch - fussin' and a cussin' ensued... seemed like it took me hours to finish guzzling that shit - I can vaguely recall closing my eyes and powering the last few ounces down, face glowing red - remember it being more cloying... I guess I'm a fancy beer nerd now and, I must say, this truly ain't half bad for what it is - gotta admit, I was quaffin' away at it!

3.72/5  rDev +71.4%

Preface: We are supposed to review within a given style. With that in mind...

About 2 years ago, I went through a phase where I drank 40s of malt liquor exclusively. During that period, I had many different kinds of 40. In fact www.40ozmaltliquor.com was my favorite page before I found this one. But I digress.

As far as 40s go, it doesn't get much better than this. This is the standard by which all others are judged. I can truely say that this doesn't actually taste "bad". It is very smooth with a solid malt backing. There is a slight bitterness, but it doesn't taste like it is caused by hops. Overall, there is just nothing like swilling down a 40 of OE and listening to some ATCQ.

I give this a 5 across the board because it is what it is "MALT LIQUOR" and it meets all the expectations of just that, it is easy to drink and is very inexpensive if anyone is coming onto this website to and rating a 2 or 3 then there is something wrong with them and that person should ask them self, was I dissapointed because the malt liquour was not a 5 and did not meet my expectations, or was I dissapointed because I drank malt liqour? To be honest it is just as good as any IPA that I have consumed because like all beer it is an aquired taste and to much of anything could make you sick, simply put take a high end beer that is highly hopped and take a malt liqour and give it to someone who has never tried any beer before and they would think that both are disquisting!! This is a bang for the buck and works well wheter your on a tight budget or you have a lot of money and besides it is up to you, the drinker to decide what your taste buds like not some amateurs on a website who have no idea what they are talking about.

4.35/5  rDev +100.5%

I'd say this is by far the easiest malt liquor I've drank. Smooth, good taste, and cheap. Not at all like 211 and for some reason I was never keen on trying this particular malt until my friends got me to try it. Glad I did. Definitely plan on getting it more often.

4.27/5  rDev +96.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm seeing so much hate about this brew. This stuff is delicious and cheap, perfect for a man on a budget. I prefer this to budweiser or any other American beer anyday. The bottle and label also looks bad ass which is major points for. I could go for 3 40's right now.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Solid golden brown. Very nice if I do say so myself.

S:Smells pretty alright for the malt liquor category, not too strong and a slight pinch to the nostrils if you take a real good whiff.

T: I personally like the taste of Olde E, alot of people like to bash it for being cheap and low grade but I think its a rose amongst weeds in its category.

M: Has a potent and unique taste with just enough bite to put your mind at ease that the buzz will be awesome once achieved.

O: A solid, well rounded, economical and tasty treat for a Friday night with nothing better to do than to throw on some Motorhead and talk shit with your friends.

4.26/5  rDev +96.3%

Damn, I drank the ice cold Westcoast (7.5% ABV) version and it felt great. I was happy that a friend of mine brought me a bottle from his US trip. In Germany I havent seen those 40 ounce bottles except in some well-known hip-hop movies :) I was happy to enjoy this swill. It had no bad aftertaste at all and the 7.5% ABV were well hidden. I wish in Europe we could buy those 40s in supermarkets but I think that will never happen. Y'all americans should be proud of your malt liquors and this brew is the king of them!

3.07/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Gets you fucked up and doesnt taste too bad

3.79/5  rDev +74.7%

Ah, Olde English. My first love.

As an ongoing series, I plan to knock out the malt liquor reviews. I will say that I am quite fond of Malt Liquor and will be reviewing TO STYLE, critics be damned.

Served out of the bottle, in a 40 koozie, as the good lord intended.

A- Light, golden honey, not much of a head, but fizzy enough carbonation. Not winning any awards, but a hell of a lot better than others similar to the style.

S- Corn, malty adjunct sweetness, mild cooked vegetables. Not O.E.'s selling point.

T- Much better. Light, crisp, sweet, a tad bit corn-y. Metallic, slightly hopped (but that could just be more metallic taste), not offensive or off-putting. I like it... but I drank enough of this stuff to develop my palate, lol.

M- This is where the mbeer shines. High marks for good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, and a not-too-lingering taste.

D- High. I can down these like water. Tasty enough, though there are tastier malt liquors, this one had nothing major working against it. A solid package that doesn't dissapoint. I like it.

4.47/5  rDev +106%

Golden Standard:
This is the golden standard in malt liquor. It is the malt liquor against which all others are compared. How this came about, I don't know, but it is a damn good malt liquor. It is not necessarily the best in the category, but it is the one that I shall compare all others in the category against and so far, it is the best I have had. Except when I tried to chug one that was only mildly chilled while sitting in my car before a concert, I have always enjoyed this brew.

On another note, it sets the standard in ensuring that malt liquor labels contain random words or graphics that don't seem to make any sense. Why is it 800? What is 800 about it? And why is it required that "800" be in quotation marks? Is it to prevent the consumer from thinking that the product contains actual 800? Wouldn't want anyone to make that mistake. Could lead to lawsuits.

The Review:
Though the preferred serving vessel for this particular brew is the 40 oz. bottle, I opted to use a pint glass just for fun. It pours a very nice golden colour with a one inch head that disappears once you start drinking. The taste is exactly what I want in a malt liquor. It has a dominant note of corn nuts. Corn definitely plays a large role in this beer. It is not at all bitter. There are little to no hops in this beer. It is sweet, but by no means overly sweet. This malt liquor is exactly the right degree of sweet. The fusel aftertaste is barely noticeable. It has a DEFINITE aftertaste, but it tastes mostly of corn and alcohol. Despite the corn taste, there are definitely other ingredients in the malt. It has a cheap malt flavour that adds texture to the dominant corn flavour.

With each consecutive sip I take, I feel better. This truly is the perfect malt liquor. If you like that mildly sweet, corn-heavy malt flavour, uninhibited by hops and you like getting drunk and feeling all right, this is the malt liquor for you. This is something you can easily get used to. It doesn't make getting drunk a chore like high gravity beers. This beer is EASY, but not watery. It's a taste you can learn to love. So far, best malt liquor I've tried. In addition, it's better than most beers in its price range if you want taste and not just water. If you're not a fan of hops (and I'm not), I'd even put it above many beers that are well above it in price range. Four big thumbs up. Wait, no, five....three? How many thumbs do I have? They're looking a little hazy.
One downside to this beer is like all malt liquors it starts to feel a little nasty and overly sweet towards the end, even if kept well chilled throughout the experience. However, compared to other malt liquors, I'd say this one exhibits that problem the least. And if you have a little food to eat with it towards the end, that problems disappears entirely. Bottoms up!

Appearance – This one poured a nice, slightly hazy yellow with some decent head retention. Not bad.

Smell – The aroma isn’t bad. The grain is not as harsh as in most other macro efforts, and there’s actually a bit of hops in there somewhere.

Taste – Oh, this is bad. Much worse than it smelled. The little bit of smoothness from the nose is completely gone, and the cheap sweetness is repulsive.

Mouthfeel – A little bigger than light-bodied but fairly flat and not dry at all.

Sinkability – No wonder folks are shootin’ up the hood. I’d be getting’ my gat too if I had to walk around with a 40 of this in my hand all day.

Comments – The ABV has when up almost one and a half points from when this ale was added to the site (it’s now at 7.5%). I guess the quicker you go numb the easier this is to drink.

2.5/5  rDev +15.2%

1.75/5  rDev -19.4%

1.75/5  rDev -19.4%

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.