Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros

Andragos, Mar 03, 2014

BlazedNug, Oct 05, 2013

ianpstephens, Nov 22, 2013

spazx, Apr 09, 2014

Isaac3528, Jul 17, 2014

skylar, Jul 27, 2012

I give this a 5 across the board because it is what it is "MALT LIQUOR" and it meets all the expectations of just that, it is easy to drink and is very inexpensive if anyone is coming onto this website to and rating a 2 or 3 then there is something wrong with them and that person should ask them self, was I dissapointed because the malt liquour was not a 5 and did not meet my expectations, or was I dissapointed because I drank malt liqour? To be honest it is just as good as any IPA that I have consumed because like all beer it is an aquired taste and to much of anything could make you sick, simply put take a high end beer that is highly hopped and take a malt liqour and give it to someone who has never tried any beer before and they would think that both are disquisting!! This is a bang for the buck and works well wheter your on a tight budget or you have a lot of money and besides it is up to you, the drinker to decide what your taste buds like not some amateurs on a website who have no idea what they are talking about.

kadrewparham, Oct 06, 2013

dubmax, Sep 03, 2012

SirPlunkett, Jan 05, 2012
4.86/5  rDev +139.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If I were to sum myself up in one word, it's swank. I'm a guy who only cares for the fine things in life. If you're like me, then Olde English is the beer for you. The aroma of oak is evident once you open it (probably what is was aged in). The taste is smooth and sweet, similar to many other high-end European beers. I became violently ill shortly after finishing this (probably unrelated).

El_Dino, May 06, 2013
4.85/5  rDev +138.9%

This is for drinking out of a 40-oz bottle. This is the 40 to which all other 40's are compared. $2.50 after tax, at the corner store.

Smell - It smells like roasted corn and body odor (Skunk), so in the world of 40's, that's a lovely smell.

Taste - Roasted corn blended into a gallon of water, vodka added. In other words, sweetish and somewhat toasty. Obvious alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Doesn't bubble too much. Water. Odds are you'll get a bit too buzzed to notice the actual texture.

Overall - The 40 of 40's. A 40 drinker's 40. It's one of those things where you dedicate the afternoon to it, while you do yardwork.

MikeNMER, Apr 01, 2012

4.5/5  rDev +121.7%

InfiniteWizard83910, Apr 13, 2014
4.48/5  rDev +120.7%

Golden Standard:
This is the golden standard in malt liquor. It is the malt liquor against which all others are compared. How this came about, I don't know, but it is a damn good malt liquor. It is not necessarily the best in the category, but it is the one that I shall compare all others in the category against and so far, it is the best I have had. Except when I tried to chug one that was only mildly chilled while sitting in my car before a concert, I have always enjoyed this brew.

On another note, it sets the standard in ensuring that malt liquor labels contain random words or graphics that don't seem to make any sense. Why is it 800? What is 800 about it? And why is it required that "800" be in quotation marks? Is it to prevent the consumer from thinking that the product contains actual 800? Wouldn't want anyone to make that mistake. Could lead to lawsuits.

The Review:
Though the preferred serving vessel for this particular brew is the 40 oz. bottle, I opted to use a pint glass just for fun. It pours a very nice golden colour with a one inch head that disappears once you start drinking. The taste is exactly what I want in a malt liquor. It has a dominant note of corn nuts. Corn definitely plays a large role in this beer. It is not at all bitter. There are little to no hops in this beer. It is sweet, but by no means overly sweet. This malt liquor is exactly the right degree of sweet. The fusel aftertaste is barely noticeable. It has a DEFINITE aftertaste, but it tastes mostly of corn and alcohol. Despite the corn taste, there are definitely other ingredients in the malt. It has a cheap malt flavour that adds texture to the dominant corn flavour.

With each consecutive sip I take, I feel better. This truly is the perfect malt liquor. If you like that mildly sweet, corn-heavy malt flavour, uninhibited by hops and you like getting drunk and feeling all right, this is the malt liquor for you. This is something you can easily get used to. It doesn't make getting drunk a chore like high gravity beers. This beer is EASY, but not watery. It's a taste you can learn to love. So far, best malt liquor I've tried. In addition, it's better than most beers in its price range if you want taste and not just water. If you're not a fan of hops (and I'm not), I'd even put it above many beers that are well above it in price range. Four big thumbs up. Wait, no, five....three? How many thumbs do I have? They're looking a little hazy.
One downside to this beer is like all malt liquors it starts to feel a little nasty and overly sweet towards the end, even if kept well chilled throughout the experience. However, compared to other malt liquors, I'd say this one exhibits that problem the least. And if you have a little food to eat with it towards the end, that problems disappears entirely. Bottoms up!

ElCommodoro, Mar 26, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +115.8%

I'd say this is by far the easiest malt liquor I've drank. Smooth, good taste, and cheap. Not at all like 211 and for some reason I was never keen on trying this particular malt until my friends got me to try it. Glad I did. Definitely plan on getting it more often.

apu1, Jan 23, 2014

markallmon, May 06, 2012

Omer4176, Jan 27, 2012

shinerod, Oct 29, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +108.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm seeing so much hate about this brew. This stuff is delicious and cheap, perfect for a man on a budget. I prefer this to budweiser or any other American beer anyday. The bottle and label also looks bad ass which is major points for. I could go for 3 40's right now.

902BeerDrinker, May 17, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +103.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer in college. Me and my roommates bought kegs of this sutff for THE house parites in college. We willl tell the guest it was budweiser and they would suck it down like it was water. At the end party , we would make more money because we would only have to buy one keg instead of two KEGS of budweiser. These college parties would pay for your rent and extra spending money. Thanks alot Miller Company

Now , 20 year later I bought some of can last night. I was not excepting much it was suuprising good. THe smell was good. It smells like a american beer like metal.

I drank the beer cold in a mug and it was suprising Very crisp, the carbonation gives it a very smooth body. High marks for good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, and not much -lingering taste. I . I drank my 24 oz in half an hour. This beer gets the job done!

bbluemzbeer, Mar 27, 2013
4.05/5  rDev +99.5%

Good by itself, great mixed with equal halves orange juice. The hops are calling my name. Every time one of my train hoppin' buddies brings one of these bad boys along, I cave and trade my last lucky strike for it. It puts hair on the chest. Makes ya tough!

JashThePleb, Dec 16, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +98.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Solid golden brown. Very nice if I do say so myself.

S:Smells pretty alright for the malt liquor category, not too strong and a slight pinch to the nostrils if you take a real good whiff.

T: I personally like the taste of Olde E, alot of people like to bash it for being cheap and low grade but I think its a rose amongst weeds in its category.

M: Has a potent and unique taste with just enough bite to put your mind at ease that the buzz will be awesome once achieved.

O: A solid, well rounded, economical and tasty treat for a Friday night with nothing better to do than to throw on some Motorhead and talk shit with your friends.

Griff666, Nov 24, 2012

look. admittedly, this is cheap beer. but it serves a purpose, and i feel it does its job very well. this is the best 40 money can buy. sure, it's not a triple-fermented ale made by belgian monks who have taken an oath of silence, but that doesn't mean its not enjoyable. this is all some people can afford. and if old e is all they can afford, don't you think they should be able to drink in peace without beer snobs looking down their noses at them? i love a good belgian tripel, but beer is beer.

miesvanderrohe, Jan 31, 2009
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.