1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

pDev: 40%

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
Ratings: 690 | Reviews: 271 | Show All Ratings:
kadrewparham

Washington

I give this a 5 across the board because it is what it is "MALT LIQUOR" and it meets all the expectations of just that, it is easy to drink and is very inexpensive if anyone is coming onto this website to and rating a 2 or 3 then there is something wrong with them and that person should ask them self, was I dissapointed because the malt liquour was not a 5 and did not meet my expectations, or was I dissapointed because I drank malt liqour? To be honest it is just as good as any IPA that I have consumed because like all beer it is an aquired taste and to much of anything could make you sick, simply put take a high end beer that is highly hopped and take a malt liqour and give it to someone who has never tried any beer before and they would think that both are disquisting!! This is a bang for the buck and works well wheter your on a tight budget or you have a lot of money and besides it is up to you, the drinker to decide what your taste buds like not some amateurs on a website who have no idea what they are talking about.

10-06-2013 22:41:30 | More by kadrewparham
El_Dino

Ontario (Canada)

4.86/5  rDev +137.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If I were to sum myself up in one word, it's swank. I'm a guy who only cares for the fine things in life. If you're like me, then Olde English is the beer for you. The aroma of oak is evident once you open it (probably what is was aged in). The taste is smooth and sweet, similar to many other high-end European beers. I became violently ill shortly after finishing this (probably unrelated).

05-06-2013 03:55:53 | More by El_Dino
MikeNMER

New Mexico

4.85/5  rDev +136.6%

This is for drinking out of a 40-oz bottle. This is the 40 to which all other 40's are compared. $2.50 after tax, at the corner store.

Smell - It smells like roasted corn and body odor (Skunk), so in the world of 40's, that's a lovely smell.

Taste - Roasted corn blended into a gallon of water, vodka added. In other words, sweetish and somewhat toasty. Obvious alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Doesn't bubble too much. Water. Odds are you'll get a bit too buzzed to notice the actual texture.

Overall - The 40 of 40's. A 40 drinker's 40. It's one of those things where you dedicate the afternoon to it, while you do yardwork.

04-01-2012 08:56:11 | More by MikeNMER
ElCommodoro

4.48/5  rDev +118.5%

Golden Standard:
This is the golden standard in malt liquor. It is the malt liquor against which all others are compared. How this came about, I don't know, but it is a damn good malt liquor. It is not necessarily the best in the category, but it is the one that I shall compare all others in the category against and so far, it is the best I have had. Except when I tried to chug one that was only mildly chilled while sitting in my car before a concert, I have always enjoyed this brew.

On another note, it sets the standard in ensuring that malt liquor labels contain random words or graphics that don't seem to make any sense. Why is it 800? What is 800 about it? And why is it required that "800" be in quotation marks? Is it to prevent the consumer from thinking that the product contains actual 800? Wouldn't want anyone to make that mistake. Could lead to lawsuits.

The Review:
Though the preferred serving vessel for this particular brew is the 40 oz. bottle, I opted to use a pint glass just for fun. It pours a very nice golden colour with a one inch head that disappears once you start drinking. The taste is exactly what I want in a malt liquor. It has a dominant note of corn nuts. Corn definitely plays a large role in this beer. It is not at all bitter. There are little to no hops in this beer. It is sweet, but by no means overly sweet. This malt liquor is exactly the right degree of sweet. The fusel aftertaste is barely noticeable. It has a DEFINITE aftertaste, but it tastes mostly of corn and alcohol. Despite the corn taste, there are definitely other ingredients in the malt. It has a cheap malt flavour that adds texture to the dominant corn flavour.

With each consecutive sip I take, I feel better. This truly is the perfect malt liquor. If you like that mildly sweet, corn-heavy malt flavour, uninhibited by hops and you like getting drunk and feeling all right, this is the malt liquor for you. This is something you can easily get used to. It doesn't make getting drunk a chore like high gravity beers. This beer is EASY, but not watery. It's a taste you can learn to love. So far, best malt liquor I've tried. In addition, it's better than most beers in its price range if you want taste and not just water. If you're not a fan of hops (and I'm not), I'd even put it above many beers that are well above it in price range. Four big thumbs up. Wait, no, five....three? How many thumbs do I have? They're looking a little hazy.
One downside to this beer is like all malt liquors it starts to feel a little nasty and overly sweet towards the end, even if kept well chilled throughout the experience. However, compared to other malt liquors, I'd say this one exhibits that problem the least. And if you have a little food to eat with it towards the end, that problems disappears entirely. Bottoms up!

03-26-2011 07:08:23 | More by ElCommodoro
apu1

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +113.7%

I'd say this is by far the easiest malt liquor I've drank. Smooth, good taste, and cheap. Not at all like 211 and for some reason I was never keen on trying this particular malt until my friends got me to try it. Glad I did. Definitely plan on getting it more often.

01-23-2014 02:09:50 | More by apu1
bbluemzbeer

4.13/5  rDev +101.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer in college. Me and my roommates bought kegs of this sutff for THE house parites in college. We willl tell the guest it was budweiser and they would suck it down like it was water. At the end party , we would make more money because we would only have to buy one keg instead of two KEGS of budweiser. These college parties would pay for your rent and extra spending money. Thanks alot Miller Company

Now , 20 year later I bought some of can last night. I was not excepting much it was suuprising good. THe smell was good. It smells like a american beer like metal.

I drank the beer cold in a mug and it was suprising Very crisp, the carbonation gives it a very smooth body. High marks for good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, and not much -lingering taste. I . I drank my 24 oz in half an hour. This beer gets the job done!

03-27-2013 16:49:24 | More by bbluemzbeer
JashThePleb

4.05/5  rDev +97.6%

Good by itself, great mixed with equal halves orange juice. The hops are calling my name. Every time one of my train hoppin' buddies brings one of these bad boys along, I cave and trade my last lucky strike for it. It puts hair on the chest. Makes ya tough!

12-16-2013 00:53:53 | More by JashThePleb
Griff666

4.03/5  rDev +96.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Solid golden brown. Very nice if I do say so myself.

S:Smells pretty alright for the malt liquor category, not too strong and a slight pinch to the nostrils if you take a real good whiff.

T: I personally like the taste of Olde E, alot of people like to bash it for being cheap and low grade but I think its a rose amongst weeds in its category.

M: Has a potent and unique taste with just enough bite to put your mind at ease that the buzz will be awesome once achieved.

O: A solid, well rounded, economical and tasty treat for a Friday night with nothing better to do than to throw on some Motorhead and talk shit with your friends.

11-24-2012 02:17:48 | More by Griff666
miesvanderrohe

look. admittedly, this is cheap beer. but it serves a purpose, and i feel it does its job very well. this is the best 40 money can buy. sure, it's not a triple-fermented ale made by belgian monks who have taken an oath of silence, but that doesn't mean its not enjoyable. this is all some people can afford. and if old e is all they can afford, don't you think they should be able to drink in peace without beer snobs looking down their noses at them? i love a good belgian tripel, but beer is beer.

01-31-2009 15:56:40 | More by miesvanderrohe
ikelikesbeer

3.95/5  rDev +92.7%

Cool close to freezing, work out in 75F+ and this becomes my go to beer! KIW ITA RH. 8===D ~o (j) all dat errday. Listen, this shiz cost around sixty seven cents per can an seven point five alcohol by volume. I'm on my third tonight and two hundred and fifty words is way to many.

01-25-2010 01:45:15 | More by ikelikesbeer
RacerX5k

3.93/5  rDev +91.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I can only speak for the can but this beer is alot better than scored here. I generally hit the Asian deli in Mayfair, Philadelphia after I pick up my girls on Friday night. Just the one 16oz is enough, and I call this my hood beer (not that Mayfair is that bad of a neighborhood). This is actually better (and way less expensive at a $1.35 can) than alot of mediocre craft Ive had.

Pretty golden to yellow color, pale, nice fluffy cotton candy head. Nice malty aroma, no off smells with a little fruity presence. Really good taste, nicely malted, hints of apple and pear (my preferred flavor profile for lagers, I guess a malt liquor is a lager) even a little hops noted. Crisp, clean, refreshing, no off tastes, very smooth easy drinking yet packs a nice little punch.

I look forward to and enjoy this beer every Friday night, and really, what else matters?

12-16-2013 14:11:45 | More by RacerX5k
MickeysnOE

Washington

3.88/5  rDev +89.3%

I was hesitant to try this brew because of the simple fact that it was a malt liquor. I had heard from people that malt liquor is disgusting and should never be consumed by anybody anywhere. But I decided that letting other people tell me what to drink was foolish. so I went to the store, picked up a 40 of OE, and tried it. it looked golden and basically like other domestic beers I have had. The smell was what made me start to think twice about it. it smelled almost exactly like a skunks ass. I slowly put the bottle to my lips and tipped it back a little. Not bad, I thought, so I took a big swill and swished it around in my mouth a little. It was the best cheap brew I had ever had. I quickly finished it in about 25 minutes and had a good strong buzz from it. The only thing I think Miller could improve about OE is the smell. other than that its a great cheap brew.

01-02-2011 03:58:06 | More by MickeysnOE
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

3.85/5  rDev +87.8%

Ah, Olde English. My first love.

As an ongoing series, I plan to knock out the malt liquor reviews. I will say that I am quite fond of Malt Liquor and will be reviewing TO STYLE, critics be damned.

Served out of the bottle, in a 40 koozie, as the good lord intended.

A- Light, golden honey, not much of a head, but fizzy enough carbonation. Not winning any awards, but a hell of a lot better than others similar to the style.

S- Corn, malty adjunct sweetness, mild cooked vegetables. Not O.E.'s selling point.

T- Much better. Light, crisp, sweet, a tad bit corn-y. Metallic, slightly hopped (but that could just be more metallic taste), not offensive or off-putting. I like it... but I drank enough of this stuff to develop my palate, lol.

M- This is where the mbeer shines. High marks for good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, and a not-too-lingering taste.

D- High. I can down these like water. Tasty enough, though there are tastier malt liquors, this one had nothing major working against it. A solid package that doesn't dissapoint. I like it.

11-13-2009 01:11:29 | More by ShogoKawada
tzieser

Arizona

3.8/5  rDev +85.4%

poured from a 40oz bottle into my Duvel tulip...wait who am i kidding? i drank this bastard straight outta the bottle, wrapped in a brown paper bag as any post-recession crazed, red-blooded american would!

a: straw golden color with a foamy white head. not much else to speak of.

s: sweet malty aroma, slight notes of toasted corn and alcohol. c'mon, its malt liquor; the aroma is not supposed to be bold or pleasant.

t: more sweet malted corn flavor with a decent kick of alcohol. the flavor is definitely stronger in the west coast formula due to the 7.5% ABV. not quite as watery as the east coast version but it still finishes nice and dry as any true malt liquor does.

m: quite watery and boozy. not much malt flavor to cover the alcohol but enough to keep it from being totally undrinkable (in my opinion, of course).

o: this is probably my favorite true malt liquour on the market (no, Rogue's old "daddy's little helper" or Dogfish Head's "Liquor de Malt" do not count as a true malt liquour. sorry.). I'll take this over Colt 40, St. Ides, Mickey's or Cobra any day but Private Stock still might be my favorite. i was shocked to see this has an ABV of 7.5%. i did a bit of research and apparently the west coast gets a stronger version than we do back east. weird.

06-13-2013 22:16:17 | More by tzieser
scaliasux

Wisconsin

3.78/5  rDev +84.4%

Appearance - Pale, clear gold. Sudsy head with some staying power. Leaves a little lacing. Good for style.

Smell - Light adjuct odor. Sweet scent with no sign of hops.

Taste - Quite sweet and quite dry. You can taste the alcohol, but its not a bad as many others. Pretty high quality if one is judging, as one is in this category, simply on inoffensiveness.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Carbonation present not overpowering.

Drinkability - Probably the best of the malt liquors. Faint praise, but praise indeed. This stuff isn't as poor as most in the category, and is actually quite unobtrusive. That is until it kicks you in the ass.

10-03-2005 01:58:19 | More by scaliasux
thinkbreakfast

3.75/5  rDev +82.9%

Preface: We are supposed to review within a given style. With that in mind...

About 2 years ago, I went through a phase where I drank 40s of malt liquor exclusively. During that period, I had many different kinds of 40. In fact www.40ozmaltliquor.com was my favorite page before I found this one. But I digress.

As far as 40s go, it doesn't get much better than this. This is the standard by which all others are judged. I can truely say that this doesn't actually taste "bad". It is very smooth with a solid malt backing. There is a slight bitterness, but it doesn't taste like it is caused by hops. Overall, there is just nothing like swilling down a 40 of OE and listening to some ATCQ.

07-30-2004 23:05:24 | More by thinkbreakfast
SupaCelt

3.75/5  rDev +82.9%

This stuff sits inside the 40 ounce bottle looking coppery and dangerous. Upon cracking the top, the fizzle escapes. As the bottle is hoisted to my mouth, the carbonation bubbles whip up into a tingly fury. This looks like an average malt liquor.

The smell is rather putrid and skunky. It carries a faint sulphur and charcoal scent atop the funky malt liquor aroma of malted liquor. Burnt malt dominates. It smells about average for a malt liquor.

The taste is shockingly sweet and smooth. The neck of the bottle holds a pretty decent flavor. After a fair number of pulls from the conspicuously large container, my spit and natural mixing processes cause a drift in the flavor. It then becomes a more alcoholic and bittered liquid. You know what, this is some good malt liquor. I am one malt liquor picker. I actually would choose this over a small few micro selections that I have tested out. Small and few being the key operatives. I am rating this with the style in mind, and apart from Schlitz Blue Bull, this 8 ball is an extraordinary example of good old heavy duty American made malt liquor. When I am looking to get into the magical realm of cheap mood alteration, this mofo is the golden ticket. I feel like a high school kid again with each successive tug from the mammoth missile of glass. After I finish the corn juice in the last swallow, I have an immense feeling of accomplishment.

Mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy and thick. Stingy bubbles remain throughout the bottle adding to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is good for the style. I had no trouble sinking the 8 ball. Exercise caution after drinking 2 jugs. Things can get foggy.

08-25-2005 04:11:10 | More by SupaCelt
mtnbikerpa

3.7/5  rDev +80.5%

Drank straight from the 40 ounce bottle. Appearance was golden yellow. Strong scents of corn, rice, sort of a sweet smell. Lots of flavor corn, malt extracts, no real hop flavors. Mouthfeel is smooth, very easy to drink. Would I reach for another one? Yes.

05-09-2010 20:32:00 | More by mtnbikerpa
DookDrinkyCrow

Maryland

3.65/5  rDev +78%

Appearance: looks like room temperature piss

Smell: Smells like oily greasy sidewalk

Taste: tastes like ghetto juice

Mouthfeel: feels like grits

Drinkability: After you chug one down, you always have room for another!

Don't take my review the wrong way, "Old Gold" is a traditional part of my beer drinking life. I have consumed more of these 40's than probably any other beer on the planet. For a price tag under 2.50 this is a no brainer. Party at my house, bring some OE

07-11-2009 18:52:48 | More by DookDrinkyCrow
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.65/5  rDev +78%

Well, Olde English 800 is one of the mildest malt liquors available, and has a relatively low (5.9%) alcohol level. It has a thick, white head, lots of lacing, and higher-than-usual carbonation (for this genre). Aroma is faint, but very grainy (corn). Appearance is yellow and clear. The taste is more American-style lager than the harsh, cloying presentation one usually encounters with the malt liquor style (and which appeals to me). Mouth feel is heavy and filling. Overall, I really like OE 800, and it is a classic. NOTE: only drink this out of the can as the clear bottle allows light to cause spoilage.

RJT

03-19-2010 01:08:51 | More by RonaldTheriot
HalfFull

3.63/5  rDev +77.1%

24 oz. can poured into a pint glass. A rare visit to the Malt Liquor world I figured I'd see what this beverage is all about. Pours your standard clear straw in color, perhaps a bit more golden than many a Macro brew. Shows a better than average cap and lacing as well.

Nose is grainy and with a hint of citric hop to it. Corn notes are largely absent, emerging somewhat as the beer warms a bit along with some yeast notes.

Taste is slightly sweet but with no other defining characteristics to speak of. Perhaps again a hint of citric malt. Feel is creamy and with a bright carbonation which keeps a surface cap throughout the pour.

Not having a reference point for the style per se, I think this beer drinks fairly well and doesn't seem to deserve its bad rap. Certainly more enjoyable than an Adjunct Lager. My can was firmly carbonated and offered a notably better than anticipated experience.

12-27-2010 03:48:27 | More by HalfFull
nicholas2121

3.51/5  rDev +71.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Olde English 800 brewed by Miller Brewing Co. This brew is a malt liquor and it pours out a nice golden color with a nice light white head. Olde English 800 has an abv of 5.9. This brew has the look and smell of most malt liquors. The smell is sweet and beer like. Nothing special but nothing bad. This brew has a lot carbonation. The taste is smooth and crisp for being a malt liquor. You get a hint of sweetness, but it is not over powering. This brew goes down nice. Mouth feel is nice too, nothing bad about this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.5 out of 5. I will pick this brew up again.

04-15-2014 03:32:43 | More by nicholas2121
goochpunch

3.5/5  rDev +70.7%

Pours the typical malt liquor way. Slightly dark golden with a thing ring of bubbles. Typical corny/grainy smell and a hint of burnt veggies. Sweet tasting and not overly grainy. Lot of corn in the flavor, but this one is really smooth. Mouthfeel is surpisingly not sticky, considering the abv, yet it still holds firm in the mouth like a higher gravity malt liquor. Highly drinkable and a nice change from Steel Reserve. I think I've found my new favorite malt liquor.

05-30-2006 03:24:25 | More by goochpunch
MarkBlackout

Indiana

3.48/5  rDev +69.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Olde English is royalty amongst malt liquor 40s. Its light-amber coloration, hi-test corn-blessed constitution, and overall appeal are second to none in the malt liquor game. Enough "slummin' w. da homiez" bullshit; either drink this, or don't. No need to mock the poor in your poor attempt to cop a buzz. Olde English.. it might not boast the 'imported taste' of Private Stock, but it does have 33 crowns on the label. I counted.

03-07-2006 02:08:20 | More by MarkBlackout
4thelvofbeer

3.36/5  rDev +63.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not an "awful". It is very drinkable...not too bad. After seeing the gutter ball ratings this beer had, I went down to the 7-eleven, tonite, and bought a bottle of Olde English for 3 and a half bucks. Cracked that shit and drank a good, not great, but an all around decent beer. You can't drink this beer and expect the Ferrari experience....know that you are not driving a Ferrari, but a station wagon...expect that and you will probably enjoy this beer. Nice yellow color with a pleasing flavor and taste, nothing distracting here.

01-22-2014 03:44:42 | More by 4thelvofbeer
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.