Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros

4.86/5  rDev +139.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If I were to sum myself up in one word, it's swank. I'm a guy who only cares for the fine things in life. If you're like me, then Olde English is the beer for you. The aroma of oak is evident once you open it (probably what is was aged in). The taste is smooth and sweet, similar to many other high-end European beers. I became violently ill shortly after finishing this (probably unrelated).

4.85/5  rDev +138.9%

This is for drinking out of a 40-oz bottle. This is the 40 to which all other 40's are compared. $2.50 after tax, at the corner store.

Smell - It smells like roasted corn and body odor (Skunk), so in the world of 40's, that's a lovely smell.

Taste - Roasted corn blended into a gallon of water, vodka added. In other words, sweetish and somewhat toasty. Obvious alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Doesn't bubble too much. Water. Odds are you'll get a bit too buzzed to notice the actual texture.

Overall - The 40 of 40's. A 40 drinker's 40. It's one of those things where you dedicate the afternoon to it, while you do yardwork.

4.8/5  rDev +136.5%

4.75/5  rDev +134%

4.5/5  rDev +121.7%

4.5/5  rDev +121.7%

4.48/5  rDev +120.7%

Golden Standard:
This is the golden standard in malt liquor. It is the malt liquor against which all others are compared. How this came about, I don't know, but it is a damn good malt liquor. It is not necessarily the best in the category, but it is the one that I shall compare all others in the category against and so far, it is the best I have had. Except when I tried to chug one that was only mildly chilled while sitting in my car before a concert, I have always enjoyed this brew.

On another note, it sets the standard in ensuring that malt liquor labels contain random words or graphics that don't seem to make any sense. Why is it 800? What is 800 about it? And why is it required that "800" be in quotation marks? Is it to prevent the consumer from thinking that the product contains actual 800? Wouldn't want anyone to make that mistake. Could lead to lawsuits.

The Review:
Though the preferred serving vessel for this particular brew is the 40 oz. bottle, I opted to use a pint glass just for fun. It pours a very nice golden colour with a one inch head that disappears once you start drinking. The taste is exactly what I want in a malt liquor. It has a dominant note of corn nuts. Corn definitely plays a large role in this beer. It is not at all bitter. There are little to no hops in this beer. It is sweet, but by no means overly sweet. This malt liquor is exactly the right degree of sweet. The fusel aftertaste is barely noticeable. It has a DEFINITE aftertaste, but it tastes mostly of corn and alcohol. Despite the corn taste, there are definitely other ingredients in the malt. It has a cheap malt flavour that adds texture to the dominant corn flavour.

With each consecutive sip I take, I feel better. This truly is the perfect malt liquor. If you like that mildly sweet, corn-heavy malt flavour, uninhibited by hops and you like getting drunk and feeling all right, this is the malt liquor for you. This is something you can easily get used to. It doesn't make getting drunk a chore like high gravity beers. This beer is EASY, but not watery. It's a taste you can learn to love. So far, best malt liquor I've tried. In addition, it's better than most beers in its price range if you want taste and not just water. If you're not a fan of hops (and I'm not), I'd even put it above many beers that are well above it in price range. Four big thumbs up. Wait, no, five....three? How many thumbs do I have? They're looking a little hazy.
One downside to this beer is like all malt liquors it starts to feel a little nasty and overly sweet towards the end, even if kept well chilled throughout the experience. However, compared to other malt liquors, I'd say this one exhibits that problem the least. And if you have a little food to eat with it towards the end, that problems disappears entirely. Bottoms up!

4.38/5  rDev +115.8%

I'd say this is by far the easiest malt liquor I've drank. Smooth, good taste, and cheap. Not at all like 211 and for some reason I was never keen on trying this particular malt until my friends got me to try it. Glad I did. Definitely plan on getting it more often.

4.23/5  rDev +108.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm seeing so much hate about this brew. This stuff is delicious and cheap, perfect for a man on a budget. I prefer this to budweiser or any other American beer anyday. The bottle and label also looks bad ass which is major points for. I could go for 3 40's right now.

4.13/5  rDev +103.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer in college. Me and my roommates bought kegs of this sutff for THE house parites in college. We willl tell the guest it was budweiser and they would suck it down like it was water. At the end party , we would make more money because we would only have to buy one keg instead of two KEGS of budweiser. These college parties would pay for your rent and extra spending money. Thanks alot Miller Company

Now , 20 year later I bought some of can last night. I was not excepting much it was suuprising good. THe smell was good. It smells like a american beer like metal.

I drank the beer cold in a mug and it was suprising Very crisp, the carbonation gives it a very smooth body. High marks for good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, and not much -lingering taste. I . I drank my 24 oz in half an hour. This beer gets the job done!

4.08/5  rDev +101%

4.05/5  rDev +99.5%

Good by itself, great mixed with equal halves orange juice. The hops are calling my name. Every time one of my train hoppin' buddies brings one of these bad boys along, I cave and trade my last lucky strike for it. It puts hair on the chest. Makes ya tough!

4.03/5  rDev +98.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Solid golden brown. Very nice if I do say so myself.

S:Smells pretty alright for the malt liquor category, not too strong and a slight pinch to the nostrils if you take a real good whiff.

T: I personally like the taste of Olde E, alot of people like to bash it for being cheap and low grade but I think its a rose amongst weeds in its category.

M: Has a potent and unique taste with just enough bite to put your mind at ease that the buzz will be awesome once achieved.

O: A solid, well rounded, economical and tasty treat for a Friday night with nothing better to do than to throw on some Motorhead and talk shit with your friends.

look. admittedly, this is cheap beer. but it serves a purpose, and i feel it does its job very well. this is the best 40 money can buy. sure, it's not a triple-fermented ale made by belgian monks who have taken an oath of silence, but that doesn't mean its not enjoyable. this is all some people can afford. and if old e is all they can afford, don't you think they should be able to drink in peace without beer snobs looking down their noses at them? i love a good belgian tripel, but beer is beer.

3.95/5  rDev +94.6%

Cool close to freezing, work out in 75F+ and this becomes my go to beer! KIW ITA RH. 8===D ~o (j) all dat errday. Listen, this shiz cost around sixty seven cents per can an seven point five alcohol by volume. I'm on my third tonight and two hundred and fifty words is way to many.

3.88/5  rDev +91.1%

I was hesitant to try this brew because of the simple fact that it was a malt liquor. I had heard from people that malt liquor is disgusting and should never be consumed by anybody anywhere. But I decided that letting other people tell me what to drink was foolish. so I went to the store, picked up a 40 of OE, and tried it. it looked golden and basically like other domestic beers I have had. The smell was what made me start to think twice about it. it smelled almost exactly like a skunks ass. I slowly put the bottle to my lips and tipped it back a little. Not bad, I thought, so I took a big swill and swished it around in my mouth a little. It was the best cheap brew I had ever had. I quickly finished it in about 25 minutes and had a good strong buzz from it. The only thing I think Miller could improve about OE is the smell. other than that its a great cheap brew.

3.85/5  rDev +89.7%

(review #700 - poured into an English pint)

A: perfectly clear, light piss gold hue... chemical-scum-structured fizzy head, falls to a thin collar... actually leaves some streaks of lace, if you chug

S: cidery lager, maybe a touch cheap champagne-like... not much malt aroma to be had... extremely weak overall, however, not so much off-putting...

T: certainly has a malty base to it, with not as much of the depth of grain flavor stripped away as I might've thought... light corn syrup thread - similar to fake maple syrup (sans maple flavoring)... perhaps a faint newspapery note in the finish... touch of a metallic twang in the aftertaste...

M: fills a bit full at first, but soon washes away mildly sudsy and pretty dang dry... the delicate fusels go right to your head, giving it a slight woozy hum... light-moderate gassy-ness... mild heat flare and mucus-inducing in the backs of the nostrils, if you chug

O: first time I had this I was 16 - swilled it from the bottle like a baby, eyes all waterin'... a friend and I went with this chick he was trying to make out with over to her ex-boyfriend's house to get weed... stayed till 'round 5am, got all dizzied up, I left just as my friend and the chick started goin at it... apparently, the ex woke up and found them together on the couch - fussin' and a cussin' ensued... seemed like it took me hours to finish guzzling that shit - I can vaguely recall closing my eyes and powering the last few ounces down, face glowing red - remember it being more cloying... I guess I'm a fancy beer nerd now and, I must say, this truly ain't half bad for what it is - gotta admit, I was quaffin' away at it!

3.85/5  rDev +89.7%

Ah, Olde English. My first love.

As an ongoing series, I plan to knock out the malt liquor reviews. I will say that I am quite fond of Malt Liquor and will be reviewing TO STYLE, critics be damned.

Served out of the bottle, in a 40 koozie, as the good lord intended.

A- Light, golden honey, not much of a head, but fizzy enough carbonation. Not winning any awards, but a hell of a lot better than others similar to the style.

S- Corn, malty adjunct sweetness, mild cooked vegetables. Not O.E.'s selling point.

T- Much better. Light, crisp, sweet, a tad bit corn-y. Metallic, slightly hopped (but that could just be more metallic taste), not offensive or off-putting. I like it... but I drank enough of this stuff to develop my palate, lol.

M- This is where the mbeer shines. High marks for good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, and a not-too-lingering taste.

D- High. I can down these like water. Tasty enough, though there are tastier malt liquors, this one had nothing major working against it. A solid package that doesn't dissapoint. I like it.

3.8/5  rDev +87.2%

poured from a 40oz bottle into my Duvel tulip...wait who am i kidding? i drank this bastard straight outta the bottle, wrapped in a brown paper bag as any post-recession crazed, red-blooded american would!

a: straw golden color with a foamy white head. not much else to speak of.

s: sweet malty aroma, slight notes of toasted corn and alcohol. c'mon, its malt liquor; the aroma is not supposed to be bold or pleasant.

t: more sweet malted corn flavor with a decent kick of alcohol. the flavor is definitely stronger in the west coast formula due to the 7.5% ABV. not quite as watery as the east coast version but it still finishes nice and dry as any true malt liquor does.

m: quite watery and boozy. not much malt flavor to cover the alcohol but enough to keep it from being totally undrinkable (in my opinion, of course).

o: this is probably my favorite true malt liquour on the market (no, Rogue's old "daddy's little helper" or Dogfish Head's "Liquor de Malt" do not count as a true malt liquour. sorry.). I'll take this over Colt 40, St. Ides, Mickey's or Cobra any day but Private Stock still might be my favorite. i was shocked to see this has an ABV of 7.5%. i did a bit of research and apparently the west coast gets a stronger version than we do back east. weird.

3.78/5  rDev +86.2%

Appearance - Pale, clear gold. Sudsy head with some staying power. Leaves a little lacing. Good for style.

Smell - Light adjuct odor. Sweet scent with no sign of hops.

Taste - Quite sweet and quite dry. You can taste the alcohol, but its not a bad as many others. Pretty high quality if one is judging, as one is in this category, simply on inoffensiveness.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Carbonation present not overpowering.

Drinkability - Probably the best of the malt liquors. Faint praise, but praise indeed. This stuff isn't as poor as most in the category, and is actually quite unobtrusive. That is until it kicks you in the ass.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.