2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

pDev: 40%

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
Ratings: 692 | Reviews: 271 | Show All Ratings:
bewareOFpenguin

With its "old world" label, and pee like color, I was enticed to one more time embibe one. This is just pure aweful. No taste, or substance. My breath smelled like I was hanging out with winos all day. Smells like the subway on a hot day.

10-02-2002 09:56:32 | More by bewareOFpenguin
ommegangpbr

I'm working off of memory on this one; I can't guarantee that I'll actually drink this again, but if I did it would purely be for the sake of deliberate beer advocacy.
I tried this as a teenager and gagged then.
My taste buds and appreciation for tastes have developed since then and I can only imagine wanting to rate this all zero's.
Urine is all that comes to mind with this "brew".
Well, headache and hangover also come to mind.
Avoid, avoid AVOID!
Please!

05-23-2005 07:14:12 | More by ommegangpbr
Tallboy

Antarctica

As a teen I drank this a few times when I had little money to spend and wanted something to "blitz" on. I can not do an unbiased review here or attempt to review it as I would do my other beers, and with that being said here goes...This is by far the worst swill you could ever think to try and consume. It smells as bad as it tastes. Avoid at all costs unless you are the verry Adventurous . Homie don't play that!!!

01-26-2006 17:23:20 | More by Tallboy
changeup45

Yellow color, fizzy white head, no lacing. Terrible stuff. Same as Colt 45... they both have a permanent spot near the bottom of my list. Lots of corn, some malt and some old caramel. But hey, if you're young, need to get drunk and don't have any money then go for it. Just don't say I didn't warn you the next morning.

08-23-2008 18:51:08 | More by changeup45
Rifugium

First had: bottle (40 of course, yo) from some random liquor store

Worst beer ever? Possibly. I remember once back in the day stopping at a liquor store before going to a party. My friend picked up a 40 of Olde E. "Good God, how can you even think of drinking that?" I asked... as I picked up a 40 of Coors Light.

Pours the color that your pee is when you're dehydrated, or when you've not been drinking Old E enough. Fizzy, with a quickly-receding white frothy head. Smells of sweet corn and old grains. Taste of tinkle, corn, stale grain, and alcohol. Very light-bodied, harsh, and pretty much as undrinkable as rocket fuel. Goes good with pig knuckles, collard greens, and maybe garnished with a slice of watermelon. Yo.

05-22-2011 17:53:42 | More by Rifugium
Das_Reh

Purchased 32 oz for $1.89 at a local liquor store.

Drank straight from the bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag, because I'm classy like that.

A = Piss yellow and crystal clear. Being in a clear bottle bombarded by fluorescent lights, I knew I was in for a nasty, light-stricken mess of a beer. After purchasing, me and my brother laughed because it looked exactly like a bottle of Listerine at the grocery store. Upon cracking the resealable twist off cap, a great deal of piss-like foam surged upwards like a soda.

S = Skunk and spent grain.

T = Harsh, skunky, sour corn and pee. Worst beer I've ever had...

M = Can't recall well, as the initial harsh flavor was so shockingly bad that I didn't take another sip.

O = Poured the rest of this one out for my homies. At less than $2 it's not like I was losing anything worth having. Unless you're looking for the cheapest, nastiest way to get buzzed possible, stay away from this one. I admit this was bought as more of a gag and I had no intentions of finishing it. Needless to say, my low expectations were met... thoroughly.

01-25-2014 02:43:56 | More by Das_Reh
WVbeergeek

1.02/5  rDev -50.2%

All 40 ounces preserved in it's classic presentation, Olde E is a legendary beer. Yeah, right this beer is ghetto swill in all it's glory. Made famous by Run DMC in eighties, this beer pours a golden similar to apple juice hue. Pours with a thick foamy head that cloys around the rim of my mug, with a decent head retention. Aroma is straight up unpleasant, all cereal grains with an astringent slightly cooked vegetable scent. From the smell you would think this stuff could take of some layers of paint from the wall. Taste is highly carbonated watery yet acoholic harsh bitter nasty ass taste. Not a slow sipper chug this and bypass the palate, this beer is for getting folded. I really can't tolerate this one but it's a favorite of my friends. So, in closing there is no question this is one shitty beer. Watch out for the hangovers this beer is known to cause, in my opinion steer clear.

04-29-2003 12:02:15 | More by WVbeergeek
rye726

Colorado

1.05/5  rDev -48.8%

One taste is enough for this beast. It has an aroma of old malt and bad alcohol. There are some sour yeast smells as well. It has a dirty river color and not much head. It appears to be tan though. Body is think and syrupy which leads to poor drinkability. I will probably never again venture back to this stuff.

05-05-2008 18:24:11 | More by rye726
hardy008

1.05/5  rDev -48.8%

Reviewed from notes. Drank on 10/22. Split with others.

Straw yellow with a small head with poor retention. Looks very unappealing. Smells of cooked corn and veggies. Why did I agree to have some of this?

Tastes like cooked corn, veggies, and there is a metallic taste which I could do without. This is really bad. Why did I waste my time on this?

High carbonation, harsh to drink, just complete and total swill. Don't waste your time. Stay away from this one.

10-25-2010 22:48:50 | More by hardy008
GodOfBeer

Ontario (Canada)

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

Oh god where to begin. First of all this beer is on my blacklist. I had two of these in one night that I will never remember, woke up in the morning and puked six times. What I do remember though is that there is nothing good about this beer, not even good enough to get drunk on.

I don't care how cheap this is, I wouldn't drink this again if it was given to me. I would rather piss on a turd, blend it, microwave it and eat it! Avoid this beer at all costs. The name is deceiving, there is nothing Olde about this beer, and there is nothing English about it. The price tag may seem attractive, but so is a cheap hooker who ends up giving you herpes - OE800 is no different (yes I probably got herpes from drinking this shit).

03-11-2008 18:58:41 | More by GodOfBeer
mambiso1123

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

I'm writing this from memory lane, as I decided to buy a 32 ouncer to relive some teenage memories. I live in Florida now, but I recall drinking 40 ouncers back then. They used to sell a 64 ounce bottle of OE (yikes) that was so large the bottle had a handle. Yeah. A handle.

Memory lane was paved poorly. God, this is a nasty brew. The color is visible in the bottle (you don't pour this into a glass), and it looks like how it will leave your system: as urine.

Taste: If you drink it at ice-cold temperature, it's fine. At cold temperature or less, it tastes like it looks.

Just an awful, awful beer. When I have children, and see them try and drink this like I did when I was their age, I won't say a word. They'll learn like I did---this is just bad, bad, stuff.

12-30-2009 02:31:03 | More by mambiso1123
beerprovedwright

Georgia

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

Almost a four finger head with good clinging lace. Color is a 6 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is bad, much like rotten corn and wet oats. Taste is harsh, cooked corn and malt. Mouthfeel is bad, not much body and a very dry feeling on my upper palate. I am sure the beer was made for one thing. A cheap drunk. I guess after the first 24 oz you could drink another with no problem because your taste buds would be numb.

02-18-2011 18:51:55 | More by beerprovedwright
drowninginhops

South Carolina

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

Served in standard pint glass

A: Looks like corn colored carbonated water. White head with some lacing.

S: Quite dirty and grainy. Unappealing

T: BAAAD. Corn, cereal.

M: See taste.

D: Get drunk beer only. Not a drink I will be returning too on purpose

09-23-2011 22:14:24 | More by drowninginhops
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

About time I get my malt liquor reviews in. These may be repetitive because I am not an expert in the style.

40 oz of course

Fizzy white head. Color is a clear pale golden yellow.

Aroma: malts and alcohol. Corn. Metallic flavors. Very bland.

Taste: Pretty much the same. Bready malts and cardboard staleness. Corn. Off flavors all around.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied, medium carbonation. Grainy and chewy. Ends bland.

Overall, not something I ever want to drink again.

03-31-2012 13:14:53 | More by mothman
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.13/5  rDev -44.9%

The Big Nasty. Don't drink 3 of these in a night, or you'll wake up next to something regretable. Anyways, looks and smells like human liquid waste.

Taste is just alcohol and yellow beer. Mouthfeel, something, rice or corn wallows around. Kinda drinkable once you get a little tipsy and play some Too $hort.

03-07-2010 00:46:41 | More by Beerandraiderfan
NOOGIE

1.15/5  rDev -43.9%

I was recently in the liqour store with $5 and wanted to relive my college days so I decided to pick up some Olde E. What can I say that hasn't already been said about his terrible beer. It tastes like metal, corn, and stink. When I drink it, I want to get it down as soon as possible, no foam at all, with this beer. Same piss color that is know in this beer. Man stay clear of this one, only for the faint of heart, but it does catch up with you, I call this one the creeper.

05-11-2008 01:50:06 | More by NOOGIE
SodoSyco

Washington

1.15/5  rDev -43.9%

A- Kind of a dirty brown-amber color.

S- Smells like skunky yeast.

T- I only tasted this stuff because it was gaming nite and one of my buddies bought some. I figured what the hell, why not try some? It was pretty bad, it tasted like coors light with stale french fries in it.

D- It is not smooth at all, you gotta force this stuff down.

10-21-2010 21:44:53 | More by SodoSyco
rsyberg01

1.2/5  rDev -41.5%

S - 24 oz can, didnt notice the freshness date. Car giveaway ad on back of can, or maybe thats the front of the can I dont know.

A - Looks like your average macro, yellow with many bubbles scurrying to the surface. Fizzy head that furiously leaves like a soda.

S - Like aluminum. Rotten smells come forth as well, maybe cheap malt. This is pretty unpleasant. Had me saying "What the hell is that smell?!?!?!"

T - Ughhh. Metallic and extremely carbonated. Hardly beer at all. Tasted like there was a hint of vodka, or maybe that was just the horrific burning from the huge carbonation factor. Little malt flavor.

M - Overly fizzy and leaves the mouth and palate in extreme haste.

D - Yikes. I literally almost vomited on my last gulp of this horrendous beer. Avoid at all costs, believe me you arent missing anything.

09-07-2006 06:18:41 | More by rsyberg01
corpulent

Nevada

1.2/5  rDev -41.5%

Oof. My gut hurts just writing about it.

Piss yellow. Sour. Thick greasy coating in my mouth. I'm going to smell like a hobo's blanket tomorrow.

No one is reading 8-Ball reviews wondering whether or not to try this.

"Hmmm, I saw Old E at the local liquor store, maybe I should try it. I wonder what the folks on Beer Advocate think about it."

You drink this because you are broke. And you want to get drunk. And sick.

03-07-2010 00:24:29 | More by corpulent
Dmann

1.23/5  rDev -40%

One of the worst Malt Liquors I've ever drank. It poured a medium golden color with a small fizzy head that faded as soon as it came. The smell was of a nasty sourness and grain. The taste was way too sweet and nasty. This is a cheepy that I will never be picking up again. The High Gravity version is much better in compairison.

08-06-2004 10:47:38 | More by Dmann
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

1.23/5  rDev -40%

Appearance: Actually, not that bad. Bright golden sunflower color with a creamy white head. Poor retention, wispy lacing.

Smell: Ugh. Cooked peas, corn, and broccoli (DMS?), and that's about it. What a disquieting aroma.

Taste: Sweet corn, honey, and bile. This is truly offensive. I just wish I could enter something less than 1 for this field.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, I suppose. Not too fizzy and fairly clean.

Drinkability: Thank god I only paid a buck fifty for this. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it.

04-20-2006 08:19:55 | More by soulgrowl
WastingFreetime

Reviewed from notes.

A. Bright translucent yet dark pee yellow in color with a brief fizzle for a head that falls apart in less than half a minute and leaves no lacing whatsoever.

S, T. Large amounts of metal, partially spoiled corn, lesser amounts of cardboard and fusel alcohols. A tiny twang of generic hops that are also partially spoiled.

M. Thin, watery, fizzy fluff. Nasty metallic aftertaste just keeps going and going like the Energizer Bunny.

Why is this malt liquor so much more ingrained in pop culture than all the other malt liquors? I tried this brew with the intention of seeking out the answer to this riddle but all I am left with is more questions. I have decided that I am content to never know the answer to these questions. Looking into the abyss only once is enough for me.

03-31-2012 23:16:15 | More by WastingFreetime
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

1.25/5  rDev -39%

This was on sale at the LCBO for $3.50. Since I'm also buddies with most of the people their, they sold it to me for a toonie, rather surprised I was buying low quality beer. I told them I hadn't tried it, and they accepted that as a good answer. Since this is malt liquor, I drank straight from the bottle. Can't comment much on appearance except for what I could see through the glass. Little browner than a Colt 45. When swished, some foam would appear that would soon quickly disappear. Smelled alot of corn, cheap malt and something acidic. Tasted very grainy and sweet. Hey, is this candy? It is that cloyingly sweet. Shitty mouthfeel. Too much cheap malt texture with a corn field. Drinkable for drunks and whores. Undrinkable for me.

06-01-2003 19:36:33 | More by slitherySOB
BerkeleyBeerMan

1.25/5  rDev -39%

Appearance: Good head with some retention. The beer has a terrible copper color

Smell: This beers only smell is metallic. It's heavier on the malts than the hops.

Taste: This beer is mainly bitter and salty. It isn't very flavorful and it doesn't finish well. It leaves a dry aftertaste in the back of my throat. This beer is built poorly like a slackers weekend soapbox derby project. I feel like somebody just dumped the ingredients into a metal pot and went to catch a smoke. There is no love for beer in this product. It's just there to get drunk on. Olde English is one of the worst beers in the American macro malt liquor category

Mouthfeel: Slippery and watery. It doesn't have any body and I am forcing myself to swallow it. This beer is flat out of the can and doesn't have any carbonation. I suppose this is a trait of High Gravity beer, unfortunately carbonation might be the only thing that makes this beer drinkable

Drinkability: This beer isn't drinkable. Its unpleasant and leaves a terrible aftertaste. Avoid this beer.

12-08-2010 04:02:10 | More by BerkeleyBeerMan
getch

1.3/5  rDev -36.6%

Just finishing college and having a lot of experince of horrible beer and esp. malt beer, this is prob my favorite, still it ranks low compared of the full flavors that are out there, if one has to drink a malt beer, then def stay away from this, its awefull

11-07-2007 04:20:01 | More by getch
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.