1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

pDev: 40%

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
Ratings: 691 | Reviews: 271 | Show All Ratings:
mambiso1123

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

I'm writing this from memory lane, as I decided to buy a 32 ouncer to relive some teenage memories. I live in Florida now, but I recall drinking 40 ouncers back then. They used to sell a 64 ounce bottle of OE (yikes) that was so large the bottle had a handle. Yeah. A handle.

Memory lane was paved poorly. God, this is a nasty brew. The color is visible in the bottle (you don't pour this into a glass), and it looks like how it will leave your system: as urine.

Taste: If you drink it at ice-cold temperature, it's fine. At cold temperature or less, it tastes like it looks.

Just an awful, awful beer. When I have children, and see them try and drink this like I did when I was their age, I won't say a word. They'll learn like I did---this is just bad, bad, stuff.

12-30-2009 02:31:03 | More by mambiso1123
beerprovedwright

Georgia

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

Almost a four finger head with good clinging lace. Color is a 6 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is bad, much like rotten corn and wet oats. Taste is harsh, cooked corn and malt. Mouthfeel is bad, not much body and a very dry feeling on my upper palate. I am sure the beer was made for one thing. A cheap drunk. I guess after the first 24 oz you could drink another with no problem because your taste buds would be numb.

02-18-2011 18:51:55 | More by beerprovedwright
drowninginhops

South Carolina

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

Served in standard pint glass

A: Looks like corn colored carbonated water. White head with some lacing.

S: Quite dirty and grainy. Unappealing

T: BAAAD. Corn, cereal.

M: See taste.

D: Get drunk beer only. Not a drink I will be returning too on purpose

09-23-2011 22:14:24 | More by drowninginhops
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

About time I get my malt liquor reviews in. These may be repetitive because I am not an expert in the style.

40 oz of course

Fizzy white head. Color is a clear pale golden yellow.

Aroma: malts and alcohol. Corn. Metallic flavors. Very bland.

Taste: Pretty much the same. Bready malts and cardboard staleness. Corn. Off flavors all around.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied, medium carbonation. Grainy and chewy. Ends bland.

Overall, not something I ever want to drink again.

03-31-2012 13:14:53 | More by mothman
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.13/5  rDev -44.9%

The Big Nasty. Don't drink 3 of these in a night, or you'll wake up next to something regretable. Anyways, looks and smells like human liquid waste.

Taste is just alcohol and yellow beer. Mouthfeel, something, rice or corn wallows around. Kinda drinkable once you get a little tipsy and play some Too $hort.

03-07-2010 00:46:41 | More by Beerandraiderfan
NOOGIE

1.15/5  rDev -43.9%

I was recently in the liqour store with $5 and wanted to relive my college days so I decided to pick up some Olde E. What can I say that hasn't already been said about his terrible beer. It tastes like metal, corn, and stink. When I drink it, I want to get it down as soon as possible, no foam at all, with this beer. Same piss color that is know in this beer. Man stay clear of this one, only for the faint of heart, but it does catch up with you, I call this one the creeper.

05-11-2008 01:50:06 | More by NOOGIE
SodoSyco

Washington

1.15/5  rDev -43.9%

A- Kind of a dirty brown-amber color.

S- Smells like skunky yeast.

T- I only tasted this stuff because it was gaming nite and one of my buddies bought some. I figured what the hell, why not try some? It was pretty bad, it tasted like coors light with stale french fries in it.

D- It is not smooth at all, you gotta force this stuff down.

10-21-2010 21:44:53 | More by SodoSyco
rsyberg01

1.2/5  rDev -41.5%

S - 24 oz can, didnt notice the freshness date. Car giveaway ad on back of can, or maybe thats the front of the can I dont know.

A - Looks like your average macro, yellow with many bubbles scurrying to the surface. Fizzy head that furiously leaves like a soda.

S - Like aluminum. Rotten smells come forth as well, maybe cheap malt. This is pretty unpleasant. Had me saying "What the hell is that smell?!?!?!"

T - Ughhh. Metallic and extremely carbonated. Hardly beer at all. Tasted like there was a hint of vodka, or maybe that was just the horrific burning from the huge carbonation factor. Little malt flavor.

M - Overly fizzy and leaves the mouth and palate in extreme haste.

D - Yikes. I literally almost vomited on my last gulp of this horrendous beer. Avoid at all costs, believe me you arent missing anything.

09-07-2006 06:18:41 | More by rsyberg01
corpulent

Nevada

1.2/5  rDev -41.5%

Oof. My gut hurts just writing about it.

Piss yellow. Sour. Thick greasy coating in my mouth. I'm going to smell like a hobo's blanket tomorrow.

No one is reading 8-Ball reviews wondering whether or not to try this.

"Hmmm, I saw Old E at the local liquor store, maybe I should try it. I wonder what the folks on Beer Advocate think about it."

You drink this because you are broke. And you want to get drunk. And sick.

03-07-2010 00:24:29 | More by corpulent
Dmann

1.23/5  rDev -40%

One of the worst Malt Liquors I've ever drank. It poured a medium golden color with a small fizzy head that faded as soon as it came. The smell was of a nasty sourness and grain. The taste was way too sweet and nasty. This is a cheepy that I will never be picking up again. The High Gravity version is much better in compairison.

08-06-2004 10:47:38 | More by Dmann
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

1.23/5  rDev -40%

Appearance: Actually, not that bad. Bright golden sunflower color with a creamy white head. Poor retention, wispy lacing.

Smell: Ugh. Cooked peas, corn, and broccoli (DMS?), and that's about it. What a disquieting aroma.

Taste: Sweet corn, honey, and bile. This is truly offensive. I just wish I could enter something less than 1 for this field.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, I suppose. Not too fizzy and fairly clean.

Drinkability: Thank god I only paid a buck fifty for this. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it.

04-20-2006 08:19:55 | More by soulgrowl
WastingFreetime

Reviewed from notes.

A. Bright translucent yet dark pee yellow in color with a brief fizzle for a head that falls apart in less than half a minute and leaves no lacing whatsoever.

S, T. Large amounts of metal, partially spoiled corn, lesser amounts of cardboard and fusel alcohols. A tiny twang of generic hops that are also partially spoiled.

M. Thin, watery, fizzy fluff. Nasty metallic aftertaste just keeps going and going like the Energizer Bunny.

Why is this malt liquor so much more ingrained in pop culture than all the other malt liquors? I tried this brew with the intention of seeking out the answer to this riddle but all I am left with is more questions. I have decided that I am content to never know the answer to these questions. Looking into the abyss only once is enough for me.

03-31-2012 23:16:15 | More by WastingFreetime
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

1.25/5  rDev -39%

This was on sale at the LCBO for $3.50. Since I'm also buddies with most of the people their, they sold it to me for a toonie, rather surprised I was buying low quality beer. I told them I hadn't tried it, and they accepted that as a good answer. Since this is malt liquor, I drank straight from the bottle. Can't comment much on appearance except for what I could see through the glass. Little browner than a Colt 45. When swished, some foam would appear that would soon quickly disappear. Smelled alot of corn, cheap malt and something acidic. Tasted very grainy and sweet. Hey, is this candy? It is that cloyingly sweet. Shitty mouthfeel. Too much cheap malt texture with a corn field. Drinkable for drunks and whores. Undrinkable for me.

06-01-2003 19:36:33 | More by slitherySOB
BerkeleyBeerMan

1.25/5  rDev -39%

Appearance: Good head with some retention. The beer has a terrible copper color

Smell: This beers only smell is metallic. It's heavier on the malts than the hops.

Taste: This beer is mainly bitter and salty. It isn't very flavorful and it doesn't finish well. It leaves a dry aftertaste in the back of my throat. This beer is built poorly like a slackers weekend soapbox derby project. I feel like somebody just dumped the ingredients into a metal pot and went to catch a smoke. There is no love for beer in this product. It's just there to get drunk on. Olde English is one of the worst beers in the American macro malt liquor category

Mouthfeel: Slippery and watery. It doesn't have any body and I am forcing myself to swallow it. This beer is flat out of the can and doesn't have any carbonation. I suppose this is a trait of High Gravity beer, unfortunately carbonation might be the only thing that makes this beer drinkable

Drinkability: This beer isn't drinkable. Its unpleasant and leaves a terrible aftertaste. Avoid this beer.

12-08-2010 04:02:10 | More by BerkeleyBeerMan
getch

1.3/5  rDev -36.6%

Just finishing college and having a lot of experince of horrible beer and esp. malt beer, this is prob my favorite, still it ranks low compared of the full flavors that are out there, if one has to drink a malt beer, then def stay away from this, its awefull

11-07-2007 04:20:01 | More by getch
bundy462

1.3/5  rDev -36.6%

A: Golden color with almost no head. Not much carbonation as expected.

S: Cooked corn, grain, alcohol, some sort of artificial metallic twang.

T: Crisp and harsh. Carbonation is overkill despite it's appearance of a flat beer. Grainy taste with a very harsh hop bite that leaves it very bitter. Boozy finish.

M: Highly carbonated and very harsh.

O: Bad, this stuff is tough to get down. The only reason that I would drink this is if I wanted to get smashed quick and was border line broke.

06-22-2010 03:34:14 | More by bundy462
DogFood11

1.33/5  rDev -35.1%

I have this wierd addiction to having some schwill now and again just to keep things grounded. On my way back from the hollywood bowl I needed some malt liquor so this was the pick. 40oz'er served in a brown paper bag. smelled like corn soaked in sugar and roasted on an open flame. Tasted very similair except take out the open flame. Sugar and Corn. Drink this fast as it is sewer material as it gets warm. You can tell this is a highly sugar based beer. not reccomended except when hidden in a brown paper bag.

08-23-2005 07:34:34 | More by DogFood11
fingerlaker

1.35/5  rDev -34.1%

If you hate yourself...

Let's get straight to it- this is terrible stuff. Opening up the clear bottle the force carbonation dissipates quickly. The smell is acrid and nauseating, of corn and carrots(?)

Taste is a weak and anemic malt- like high-fructose corn syrup beer-soda and then a vomit-inducing amount of alcohol. That is the flavor. Sweet then alcohol.

I would only recommend this stuff if (a) your wife left you or (b) you lost your job and either way just need something to kill the pain and not cost a lot.

03-15-2009 01:13:10 | More by fingerlaker
garymuchow

1.35/5  rDev -34.1%

First off a skunk aroma with strong adjunct. Not much to like in that.
Extremely clear. Big full white head. Golden yellow.
Quotes from the gallery that shared this.
"Tastes better than it smells"
"Not as bad as I thought or remembered"
From the song Ballad of Larry "Prozac for the poor"
"Tastes like when my neighbor hits a skunk with a combine"
No hop flavor and bitterness to cut sweetness only. A little dryness.
Water thin and ample carbonation.
A lark we had it, only a lark would make it return.

05-01-2011 00:56:42 | More by garymuchow
feloniousmonk

1.38/5  rDev -32.7%

I've just had a couple of lambic brews in a row, and it occurred to me what a fool I am, for I haven't seen anyone wearing any trucker hats with the Lindemans logo on it, or seen any cool hipster struttin' down the avenue in a Hanssen's hoodie...though, I have seen both of those done with OE 800 gear! I'll never be fly being a Belgian beer guy, I can only get fresh if I'm down with the malt likka crew, right? ...right?
Well, let's see if I can do it. Got the 40, but it's not in a bag, so I lose points, and I'm going to pour it into a glass, so now I'm really screwed...Anyway...crackle goes the crown, color's the pale yellow that matches faded urine, I know it's cliched to say, but it's also true as it gets, with a big, puffy bone-white head that collapses assuredly down...nice while it lasts, though.
Aroma: soft and spare, cushy, grainy, slightly citric and strawish, nothing horrible, but nothing, nonetheless.
Taste: water. Grain-inflected water, slightly sweet, but, barely anything, with a cereal grit in the mouthfeel, if it can claim any at all. There are traces of malt in the taste, minor at best, and nothing else, this is a shadow of a beer, a whisper, a phantom, but one that has a trick up it's sleeve, like all the best of this variety. Oh, yeah, no bothersome flavor, but extra-boozy, that's why they drink this ...and only a few tastes in, I can feel the hurt and the headache beginning to gather forces on my mind, and I wonder whether this exercise in masochistic research is worth it at all (the bottle was a gift, as a joke, and the punchline arrived as soon as I announced I was drinking it), and I'm sure it's not...Time to send this swill down the drain and save my brain. There's a nice doppelbock calling my name, once I wash the taste of this garbage from my mouth.

03-23-2004 09:35:07 | More by feloniousmonk
Beernoisseur

Utah

1.38/5  rDev -32.7%

OE800. Ghetto juice. I didn't get the right presentation because I didn't get a 40 of this, just a can.

A - Coppery yellow. Actually a bit of lacing and head retention. the color is somehow too fresh pee-like to be appealing to me.

S - discordance. Citric and nasty metallic. other than that, there are subtle grains and corn.

T - Gross watery weirdness. Nothing is complimentary, just harsh grainy flavors all clamoring over one another for your attention. it's like a fight in my mouth. Maybe that's why this beer is a precursor for so many ghetto brawls.

M - Watery. harsh carbonation.

D - I don't like this at all. I never will drink this again.

04-04-2009 23:54:26 | More by Beernoisseur
dsa7783

1.4/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Forget it... I don't care how many times this beer is mentioned in rap songs... Wouldn't drink this brew again if it was the only alcoholic drink offered at a party... actually ended up getting pretty nauseous after downing a 40 of this back in college... A lot of alcohol for your buck at 7.50% for a $1.99... Appearance is below mediocore and the smell is awful... not trying to sound like a beer snob, but those with class would avoid a hefty malt liquor like this unless for some reason you are a fan of this particular style... Mouthfeel was less than awful and the only upside of this brew is that once you made it past half the bottle, the other half goes down a bit easier...

12-16-2007 20:21:51 | More by dsa7783
dvsbizzyb

1.4/5  rDev -31.7%

Thought about pouring this into a snifter, but decided to keep this beauty in the bottle wrapped in a paper bag. The "real" and only way to do it.

Appearance - Poured one for the homie and it left an almost pure white very thick head on the ground. Looking into the bottle I see an almost blinding golden yellow. No signs of any lacing at all.

Smell - Light scent of musty grains and metal.

Taste - If you can imagine putting a handful of pennies in your mouth, that would best describe the taste of this.

Mouthfeel - Light and watery, but it was just over carbonated.

Overall - It don't get any more gangsta than this. This was THE drink for me when I was young and broke.

05-25-2011 06:21:29 | More by dvsbizzyb
gabedivision

1.43/5  rDev -30.2%

No clue why i wasted my dollar on this 24 oz can, i think teenage nostalgia may have hit me at the wrong time while in the corner store...but here goes.

A- Its got golden diet ginger ale look to it with a big frothy head that flattens soon after appearing.

S- This has a stench of an old bar mat. Old, and stale. Malty and yucky.

T- Pale metal coins, pennies to be exact, a mouthfull of pennies.

M- light and watery

D- There is none, if you can make it through a glass of this, then youre a better man than me.

03-12-2011 00:56:01 | More by gabedivision
rodrot

1.48/5  rDev -27.8%

Warning: use of this product may be hazardous to your health. Keep this product away from all friends, pets and loved ones. If ingested, induce vomiting immediately and contact Poison Control.

This beer poured a light yellow color into a pint glass with a large 2 finger head that faded quickly. Carbonation was very high at first and then became flat after a few minutes. Aroma was corny and fruity with a hint of that rotting vege smell. Not good. Taste was just as bad. Very watery and boring with hints of the infamous rotting vegetables, corn grits and just a slight taste of malt. No hop or bittering flavor present. I didn't even pick up an alcoholic note, which you expect from this style. Mouthfeel was thin and bland. Drinkability was low due to the relative lack of flavor or body. The 40 became a drain pour after only about 10 ounces were gone. I don't understand what all the hoopla is with this beer. No wonder all the gangbangers are killing themselves. Something that tastes this bad would make a killer out of Gandhi. Not recommended at all.

08-21-2006 12:18:04 | More by rodrot
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.