2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

pDev: 40%

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Ratings: 692 | Reviews: 271 | Show All Ratings:
RustyTruck

1.88/5  rDev -8.3%

What limits my description of this beer it the lack of a drop-down menu for the resulting hangover.

This beer is bad. Yes it's also cheap but that doesn't make up for how "un-beer-like" it is. I know there is a cult following for "40's" but this one is not worth your time. There are much better examples out there.
Normally I would comment on the pour. I won't bother: it should stay in the bottle it actually been designed that way.

The color is a light grain blonde. This is the best feature of this beer. There is also a clearly printed brewing date proudly displayed on the bottle. This is important as the bottle is perfectly clear and would leave the brew prone to some serious skunking if left near light for some time.

I would also comment on the aroma. There is none except the slight smell of bread.

And there is almost no taste. Malt? no. Liquor? no. At best all I could taste was the heavy carbonation. I get the idea that this is intentional.

But I will say that this product is perfectly designed and portioned to get the average working class man drunk for what little expendable income he has left after his wages are garnered for child support. It's pure genius in that regard.

I would say its better to go with some other "40" except maybe hurricane.

03-18-2014 04:58:16 | More by RustyTruck
workingclassbrew

1.75/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Its been sittin in the garage for 3 months. I got no other beers save a couple bottles of a porter, that I want to save. How about a review? I havent bought Old E for actually drinking since the mid 90's. Lets go.

Poured from a 40, into a lager mug. Gold, nice head, leaving nice lacing on the mugs sides.

Aroma, dry, metallic, heavy "beery" smell. Not bad actually. Deja vu, not good.

Dry, metal, like chewing on a dry stalk of wheat, then sucking on a quarter. I got a bad feeling, and I think I will stop now.

No wonder when most of my guys back in the days were drinking this, or St. Ides, I stuck to my bottles of Riunite Lambrusco.

02-13-2014 06:47:47 | More by workingclassbrew
Das_Reh

Purchased 32 oz for $1.89 at a local liquor store.

Drank straight from the bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag, because I'm classy like that.

A = Piss yellow and crystal clear. Being in a clear bottle bombarded by fluorescent lights, I knew I was in for a nasty, light-stricken mess of a beer. After purchasing, me and my brother laughed because it looked exactly like a bottle of Listerine at the grocery store. Upon cracking the resealable twist off cap, a great deal of piss-like foam surged upwards like a soda.

S = Skunk and spent grain.

T = Harsh, skunky, sour corn and pee. Worst beer I've ever had...

M = Can't recall well, as the initial harsh flavor was so shockingly bad that I didn't take another sip.

O = Poured the rest of this one out for my homies. At less than $2 it's not like I was losing anything worth having. Unless you're looking for the cheapest, nastiest way to get buzzed possible, stay away from this one. I admit this was bought as more of a gag and I had no intentions of finishing it. Needless to say, my low expectations were met... thoroughly.

01-25-2014 02:43:56 | More by Das_Reh
apu1

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +113.7%

I'd say this is by far the easiest malt liquor I've drank. Smooth, good taste, and cheap. Not at all like 211 and for some reason I was never keen on trying this particular malt until my friends got me to try it. Glad I did. Definitely plan on getting it more often.

01-23-2014 02:09:50 | More by apu1
4thelvofbeer

3.36/5  rDev +63.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not an "awful". It is very drinkable...not too bad. After seeing the gutter ball ratings this beer had, I went down to the 7-eleven, tonite, and bought a bottle of Olde English for 3 and a half bucks. Cracked that shit and drank a good, not great, but an all around decent beer. You can't drink this beer and expect the Ferrari experience....know that you are not driving a Ferrari, but a station wagon...expect that and you will probably enjoy this beer. Nice yellow color with a pleasing flavor and taste, nothing distracting here.

01-22-2014 03:44:42 | More by 4thelvofbeer
JashThePleb

4.05/5  rDev +97.6%

Good by itself, great mixed with equal halves orange juice. The hops are calling my name. Every time one of my train hoppin' buddies brings one of these bad boys along, I cave and trade my last lucky strike for it. It puts hair on the chest. Makes ya tough!

12-16-2013 00:53:53 | More by JashThePleb
ale_man

Oregon

3.03/5  rDev +47.8%

It is what you should expect from malt liquor.
For an interesting twist, try it warmed sometime, and I do not mean room temp. An acquaintance offered a sample of his preferred style of consumption which was to leave the bottle sitting out in the warm summer sun for a couple of hours. I have to say that it does mellow the flavor making it strangely palatable.

11-19-2013 10:19:49 | More by ale_man
Darkmagus82

2.46/5  rDev +20%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – As could be seen from the clear bottle, the brew pours a medium golden color. Upon pouring there is a huge two billowy white head on the top of the brew, which fades very fast to leave a light level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is quite heavy of a stale sweet corn smell mixed with a little bit of breadiness. There are some lighter notes of a musty graininess as well as some light rice smell and a bit of herb.

Taste – The taste begins with a light, but somewhat crisp flavor of corn and a bit of a bready taste. In the beginning the taste is not nearly as sweet as the nose would have suggested. The taste does however end up gaining more sweetness as the flavor advances. A sweet corn and a little bit of caramel develop more potency as the flavor moves on. While it sweetness it also gains some more musty grain and papery tastes as the flavor advances. In the end a light lemon flavor joins the profile leaving a corny and musty flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was thin and slightly watery with a carbonation level that was on the slightly higher side. The thin body and the higher carbonation are very nice for the style making it a quick and easy drinker.

Overall – An alright malt, but not the best out there. It is a bit on the crisper side for a malt, so if that is what your going for then this is a decent choice.

09-06-2013 23:49:32 | More by Darkmagus82
Carl_R

Oklahoma

2.28/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

There is not much going on here, I used to be able to get a couple of these for around $ 5.00 when I was in high school. I have not had one since but they used to be a cost effective way to get a nice buzz when taste comes a distance second to price. Nice memories but I doubt I would be a fan now.

07-27-2013 02:32:25 | More by Carl_R
tzieser

Arizona

3.8/5  rDev +85.4%

poured from a 40oz bottle into my Duvel tulip...wait who am i kidding? i drank this bastard straight outta the bottle, wrapped in a brown paper bag as any post-recession crazed, red-blooded american would!

a: straw golden color with a foamy white head. not much else to speak of.

s: sweet malty aroma, slight notes of toasted corn and alcohol. c'mon, its malt liquor; the aroma is not supposed to be bold or pleasant.

t: more sweet malted corn flavor with a decent kick of alcohol. the flavor is definitely stronger in the west coast formula due to the 7.5% ABV. not quite as watery as the east coast version but it still finishes nice and dry as any true malt liquor does.

m: quite watery and boozy. not much malt flavor to cover the alcohol but enough to keep it from being totally undrinkable (in my opinion, of course).

o: this is probably my favorite true malt liquour on the market (no, Rogue's old "daddy's little helper" or Dogfish Head's "Liquor de Malt" do not count as a true malt liquour. sorry.). I'll take this over Colt 40, St. Ides, Mickey's or Cobra any day but Private Stock still might be my favorite. i was shocked to see this has an ABV of 7.5%. i did a bit of research and apparently the west coast gets a stronger version than we do back east. weird.

06-13-2013 22:16:17 | More by tzieser
El_Dino

Ontario (Canada)

4.86/5  rDev +137.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If I were to sum myself up in one word, it's swank. I'm a guy who only cares for the fine things in life. If you're like me, then Olde English is the beer for you. The aroma of oak is evident once you open it (probably what is was aged in). The taste is smooth and sweet, similar to many other high-end European beers. I became violently ill shortly after finishing this (probably unrelated).

05-06-2013 03:55:53 | More by El_Dino
iman99

Louisiana

3.1/5  rDev +51.2%

I have drank a lot of Olde English. I have drank a lot of beer and liquor. I have drank around 300 different beer brands and 100 hard liquor brands. I like to drink and I hope I can do something more constructive... Well for now I might go get one of these bad boys after finishing this review.

Olde English 800 is your average tasting 40 oz that you buy because its 2 dollars and you grab one and drink it and paint the house.

Everything about it is okay. From the color to the taste its neither good nor bad.

02-23-2013 21:22:47 | More by iman99
mfndsvp

2.43/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

This malt liquor is piss. Only drank it because it was free. The beer itself is pretty flat. It tastes like a 40 oz. Looks like a 40 oz. Would rather drink a nice trippel or something. It is just not my style of preference. Damn you miller for making suck beverages.

01-21-2013 22:09:55 | More by mfndsvp
mfnmbvp

1.48/5  rDev -27.8%

A friend just walked in the door yielding a full piss yellow 40 oz. bottle, and poured me a glass into my Boulevard tulip. Bottle reads best by May 20, 2013.

A - Semi-aggressive pour yielded about a finger and half of head that receded quicker than I would have imagined. Extremely clear yellow water appearance.

S - Smells of chemically treated malts and corn husk, with some dust. Giving off the basic standard Miller vibe.

T - This is definitely a macrobrew. Definitely a Miller product. Thicker and heavier than the usual Miller Lite, Miller Genuine Draft, etc. But no where near as carbonated, I will give it credit for that. Does it make it taste any better? Not at all. Typical malt liquor flavor. Chemically treated malts and corn husks, again.

M - Thin and watery, no real lingering flavor of any kind aside from the dusty chemical malt. I think I'm just going to say I'm glad none of the "flavors" really stick around.

In all, I can't think of a single good reason to go ahead and buy one of these, especially in a 40 oz. My friend who brought it didn't even buy it, it was given to him for free. I guess drink it if you've got it.

Miller Brewing Olde English 800---1.5/5

01-21-2013 21:52:52 | More by mfnmbvp
jwc215

2.23/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours straw yellow with a white head that has decent retention. Some thin lacing sticks.

The smell is of corn oil, slight grain and a hint of alcohol.

The taste is pretty empty. Some corn, a touch of husk. It is on the sweet side, with an abrupt finish. The alcohol is on the mild side for the style.

The feel is watery, but astringent.

It's not "terrible", but it is certainly not good. It is rather weak for the style. It's pretty drinkable, considering. It's a sweet-ish, rather bland, cheap Malt Liquor.

12-22-2012 00:57:04 | More by jwc215
Griff666

4.03/5  rDev +96.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Solid golden brown. Very nice if I do say so myself.

S:Smells pretty alright for the malt liquor category, not too strong and a slight pinch to the nostrils if you take a real good whiff.

T: I personally like the taste of Olde E, alot of people like to bash it for being cheap and low grade but I think its a rose amongst weeds in its category.

M: Has a potent and unique taste with just enough bite to put your mind at ease that the buzz will be awesome once achieved.

O: A solid, well rounded, economical and tasty treat for a Friday night with nothing better to do than to throw on some Motorhead and talk shit with your friends.

11-24-2012 02:17:48 | More by Griff666
SometimesIfart

2.43/5  rDev +18.5%

A - Drank it straight from the 22oz bottle so I couldn't speak for the head of this beer. The brew is an extremely clear bronze-gold with a slight white film to cap it off. Left no lacing in the bottle.

S - Grains, skunk, rice, slight malt

T - Sweet corn, light malt, rice, nice sweet grain. For it being as cheap as it is it isn't too shabby at all.

M - Heavy stinging carbonation with a heavy body

O - Overall this is a pretty basic cheap beer with an above average taste as far as cheap beers go. I'd have again for a party.

11-17-2012 21:18:49 | More by SometimesIfart
AndrewBV

2.7/5  rDev +31.7%

Compared to other beer, this is rather bad. But as a 40 with a purpose, this is wonderful. I don't like getting drunk, but when I have to (e.g., frat party), I just down one or two of these to give me the buzz I need. It's cheap, and it's effective, and isn't that really the point of a 40? With that in mind, this beer is the one to go for if you need to be drunk but don't like binge drinking, hard liquor, or wasting your craft beer.

10-22-2012 00:04:48 | More by AndrewBV
thagr81us

South Carolina

1.68/5  rDev -18%

I have my doppelganger to thanks for this one as he spent a whole $1.29 + tax to pick this one up for me at a local Marathon on the way to a birthday party! Thanks??? Served from 40 oz bottle into a shaker for the first glass then consumed straight from the bottle for the rest. Unfortunately there wasn’t as brown paper bag as the gas station didn’t have any to give us. Poured golden yellow with a one and a half off-white head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, sugar, alcohol, and grain. The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, grain, wheat, and alcohol. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty bad brew. I always joked with my friends about drinking this one at parties to see the look on people’s faces. Well, apparently my best friend remembered this and made it happen. Just so you know this thing is bad. I really wish it would have been higher in ABV so I would at least be so wasted after that I had forgotten that I had drank it. So after all this I’m wondering around the party with no buzz and looking for something else to drink. Luckily there was another 40 oz laying around, so I went with that obviously. But about the beer, not a lot but grain and corn going on here with a hint of sugar. Great for party gifts and hobos under the overpass, but if you have any class at all you will avoid this at all costs.

09-21-2012 10:43:35 | More by thagr81us
tdm168

3.08/5  rDev +50.2%

Small amount poured into a juice glass for head and aroma. The rest was drank from the elegant 40 oz bottle.

A - gold with a short-lived, bubbly layer of white head

S - warm, grainy, sweet

T - warm, grainy, corn, sweet, faintly bitter

M - crisp, light to medium bodied

For the style it isn't awful. I've had worse. The style usually isn't for taste. With that being said this is pretty drinkable. It wouldn't be hard to make this disappear and get a cheap buzz.

06-29-2012 00:05:52 | More by tdm168
intensify

Colorado

2.53/5  rDev +23.4%

Drank it from a 40oz bottle. Like they say "keepin it gangsta".

This review will be based on this style of beer, which is malt liquors. Im not biased towards any beer because of reputation... just for the record.

A- Honey colored body with carbonation rising from the bottom of the monster 40oz bottle. Godzilla is in the house.

S- Wet straw, yeast, high in the malts, a bit skunky but get a sweet smell to counter it.

T- Better then a lot of micro brews. Has unique characteristics that can only be achieved by the "malt liquor" process. Watered down straw like taste. Suprisingly it goes down rather easy.

M- High carbonation. Ends dry.

O- Average beer. For the price this can't be beat. Nice beer to catch a lil buzz from if thats what youre after.

04-28-2012 06:00:52 | More by intensify
MirkoCroCough

Croatia (Hrvatska)

2.98/5  rDev +45.4%

Clear 40 ounce bottle. Really hammers the 40oz point home. Printed on the label 3 times. Expiration date printed on the bottle. Drank straight from the bottle.

Light gold color. Looks better than a Coors, Budweiser, or Natural light.

Hardly any smell. Some far away bread/yeast.

Not much flavor. Mild sweet malts and corn adjuncts.

Decent. Good carbonation and clean finish.

Nothing special but alot better than a Budweiser and a hell of alot less expensive. Don't know what it would be like to throw down on alot, but good 40 beer.

04-03-2012 04:14:54 | More by MirkoCroCough
MikeNMER

New Mexico

4.85/5  rDev +136.6%

This is for drinking out of a 40-oz bottle. This is the 40 to which all other 40's are compared. $2.50 after tax, at the corner store.

Smell - It smells like roasted corn and body odor (Skunk), so in the world of 40's, that's a lovely smell.

Taste - Roasted corn blended into a gallon of water, vodka added. In other words, sweetish and somewhat toasty. Obvious alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Doesn't bubble too much. Water. Odds are you'll get a bit too buzzed to notice the actual texture.

Overall - The 40 of 40's. A 40 drinker's 40. It's one of those things where you dedicate the afternoon to it, while you do yardwork.

04-01-2012 08:56:11 | More by MikeNMER
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

About time I get my malt liquor reviews in. These may be repetitive because I am not an expert in the style.

40 oz of course

Fizzy white head. Color is a clear pale golden yellow.

Aroma: malts and alcohol. Corn. Metallic flavors. Very bland.

Taste: Pretty much the same. Bready malts and cardboard staleness. Corn. Off flavors all around.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied, medium carbonation. Grainy and chewy. Ends bland.

Overall, not something I ever want to drink again.

03-31-2012 13:14:53 | More by mothman
stckhndlr

1.65/5  rDev -19.5%

A- Dandelion/Goldenrod color with a crisp white head but it doesn't stick around long.

S- Wow. this smells really bad. Metallic, skunky, yeasty and just a ton of malt.

T- Also a metallic flat malty taste with a super grainy finish that just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

M- Surprising medium body feel with quite a bit of carbonation.

O- With the combination of the smell and the aftertaste it leaves I can't see myself buy this one ever again. Tried it just to say that I had. Now I have.. Never again.

02-04-2012 14:42:52 | More by stckhndlr
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.