1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

pDev: 40%

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Ratings: 690 | Reviews: 271 | Show All Ratings:
mltobin

Connecticut

1.83/5  rDev -10.7%

In high school and college, I must admit that on more than one occasion that I did indulge in an Olde English 40oz.

Appearance is yellow, clear, and unattractive.

Smell is pointing towards gross, turn your nose away, smells like some alcohol in a science lab.

Taste is bland, watery, and unpleasant.

MF is of some corn, slightly sugary, with a really bad after-taste, without a doubt it is difficult to consume all 40oz, let alone 3 of them in a night, which I have done several times in the past, ahhhh the good old days.

Serving type: nitro-bottle

02-15-2008 01:03:42 | More by mltobin
nicholas2121

3.51/5  rDev +71.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Olde English 800 brewed by Miller Brewing Co. This brew is a malt liquor and it pours out a nice golden color with a nice light white head. Olde English 800 has an abv of 5.9. This brew has the look and smell of most malt liquors. The smell is sweet and beer like. Nothing special but nothing bad. This brew has a lot carbonation. The taste is smooth and crisp for being a malt liquor. You get a hint of sweetness, but it is not over powering. This brew goes down nice. Mouth feel is nice too, nothing bad about this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.5 out of 5. I will pick this brew up again.

04-15-2014 03:32:43 | More by nicholas2121
RustyTruck

1.88/5  rDev -8.3%

What limits my description of this beer it the lack of a drop-down menu for the resulting hangover.

This beer is bad. Yes it's also cheap but that doesn't make up for how "un-beer-like" it is. I know there is a cult following for "40's" but this one is not worth your time. There are much better examples out there.
Normally I would comment on the pour. I won't bother: it should stay in the bottle it actually been designed that way.

The color is a light grain blonde. This is the best feature of this beer. There is also a clearly printed brewing date proudly displayed on the bottle. This is important as the bottle is perfectly clear and would leave the brew prone to some serious skunking if left near light for some time.

I would also comment on the aroma. There is none except the slight smell of bread.

And there is almost no taste. Malt? no. Liquor? no. At best all I could taste was the heavy carbonation. I get the idea that this is intentional.

But I will say that this product is perfectly designed and portioned to get the average working class man drunk for what little expendable income he has left after his wages are garnered for child support. It's pure genius in that regard.

I would say its better to go with some other "40" except maybe hurricane.

03-18-2014 04:58:16 | More by RustyTruck
theresasnakeinmyboot

Kansas

3.31/5  rDev +61.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.25

I don't understand why this beer has so many negative views. For 7 bucks I can get a 12 pack. That's better than most other brands that range from 8 to 12 bucks.

The taste is like good old carbonated water with a bit of a frothy golden feel to it. Slightly fruity but easy going down.

I know people enjoy their craft selection but com on we drink this stuff to feel good. Argue all you want about why you drink beer but honestly we all drink it for the same reason to varying degrees. For the price the quality of this beer is fairly decent.

03-11-2014 05:24:31 | More by theresasnakeinmyboot
Retroman40

Kentucky

2.88/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

24 Ounce Can poured into a chilled glass.

A - Big, thick foamy head that was fleeting and retreated to a thin lace..

S - Sweetness with some corn and fruitiness.

T - Slight corn with some fruitiness. No hops or malt evident. Of course, that isn't what malt liquor is about.

M - Thin when cold with some tanginess but becomes syrupy as it warms.

O - This IS the classic malt liquor; nothing complex - just gets the job done.

02-18-2014 00:24:52 | More by Retroman40
workingclassbrew

Wisconsin

1.75/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Its been sittin in the garage for 3 months. I got no other beers save a couple bottles of a porter, that I want to save. How about a review? I havent bought Old E for actually drinking since the mid 90's. Lets go.

Poured from a 40, into a lager mug. Gold, nice head, leaving nice lacing on the mugs sides.

Aroma, dry, metallic, heavy "beery" smell. Not bad actually. Deja vu, not good.

Dry, metal, like chewing on a dry stalk of wheat, then sucking on a quarter. I got a bad feeling, and I think I will stop now.

No wonder when most of my guys back in the days were drinking this, or St. Ides, I stuck to my bottles of Riunite Lambrusco.

02-13-2014 06:47:47 | More by workingclassbrew
Das_Reh

Purchased 32 oz for $1.89 at a local liquor store.

Drank straight from the bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag, because I'm classy like that.

A = Piss yellow and crystal clear. Being in a clear bottle bombarded by fluorescent lights, I knew I was in for a nasty, light-stricken mess of a beer. After purchasing, me and my brother laughed because it looked exactly like a bottle of Listerine at the grocery store. Upon cracking the resealable twist off cap, a great deal of piss-like foam surged upwards like a soda.

S = Skunk and spent grain.

T = Harsh, skunky, sour corn and pee. Worst beer I've ever had...

M = Can't recall well, as the initial harsh flavor was so shockingly bad that I didn't take another sip.

O = Poured the rest of this one out for my homies. At less than $2 it's not like I was losing anything worth having. Unless you're looking for the cheapest, nastiest way to get buzzed possible, stay away from this one. I admit this was bought as more of a gag and I had no intentions of finishing it. Needless to say, my low expectations were met... thoroughly.

01-25-2014 02:43:56 | More by Das_Reh
apu1

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +113.7%

I'd say this is by far the easiest malt liquor I've drank. Smooth, good taste, and cheap. Not at all like 211 and for some reason I was never keen on trying this particular malt until my friends got me to try it. Glad I did. Definitely plan on getting it more often.

01-23-2014 02:09:50 | More by apu1
4thelvofbeer

3.36/5  rDev +63.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not an "awful". It is very drinkable...not too bad. After seeing the gutter ball ratings this beer had, I went down to the 7-eleven, tonite, and bought a bottle of Olde English for 3 and a half bucks. Cracked that shit and drank a good, not great, but an all around decent beer. You can't drink this beer and expect the Ferrari experience....know that you are not driving a Ferrari, but a station wagon...expect that and you will probably enjoy this beer. Nice yellow color with a pleasing flavor and taste, nothing distracting here.

01-22-2014 03:44:42 | More by 4thelvofbeer
RacerX5k

3.93/5  rDev +91.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I can only speak for the can but this beer is alot better than scored here. I generally hit the Asian deli in Mayfair, Philadelphia after I pick up my girls on Friday night. Just the one 16oz is enough, and I call this my hood beer (not that Mayfair is that bad of a neighborhood). This is actually better (and way less expensive at a $1.35 can) than alot of mediocre craft Ive had.

Pretty golden to yellow color, pale, nice fluffy cotton candy head. Nice malty aroma, no off smells with a little fruity presence. Really good taste, nicely malted, hints of apple and pear (my preferred flavor profile for lagers, I guess a malt liquor is a lager) even a little hops noted. Crisp, clean, refreshing, no off tastes, very smooth easy drinking yet packs a nice little punch.

I look forward to and enjoy this beer every Friday night, and really, what else matters?

12-16-2013 14:11:45 | More by RacerX5k
JashThePleb

4.05/5  rDev +97.6%

Good by itself, great mixed with equal halves orange juice. The hops are calling my name. Every time one of my train hoppin' buddies brings one of these bad boys along, I cave and trade my last lucky strike for it. It puts hair on the chest. Makes ya tough!

12-16-2013 00:53:53 | More by JashThePleb
PvtSnowball

1.6/5  rDev -22%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

I purchased this 16 ounce beauty from one of the more reputable quick marts in town.

The olde school lettering and vaguely crown-like symbol
along with the fact the can was gold caught my interest.

That and it "only" cost a buck. My expectations were sky high.

Odd orange/yellow color with a substantial head that retreats
faster than a French infantryman.

The aroma was that of urine and some other unidentifiable toxic
chemicals.

The taste was quite bland until I let it warm up. Big mistake.

Mouthfeel was the best part, although that could have been due
to the milk stout I had half an hour before.

I want my dollar back.

12-08-2013 22:48:05 | More by PvtSnowball
ale_man

Oregon

3.03/5  rDev +47.8%

It is what you should expect from malt liquor.
For an interesting twist, try it warmed sometime, and I do not mean room temp. An acquaintance offered a sample of his preferred style of consumption which was to leave the bottle sitting out in the warm summer sun for a couple of hours. I have to say that it does mellow the flavor making it strangely palatable.

11-19-2013 10:19:49 | More by ale_man
kadrewparham

Washington

I give this a 5 across the board because it is what it is "MALT LIQUOR" and it meets all the expectations of just that, it is easy to drink and is very inexpensive if anyone is coming onto this website to and rating a 2 or 3 then there is something wrong with them and that person should ask them self, was I dissapointed because the malt liquour was not a 5 and did not meet my expectations, or was I dissapointed because I drank malt liqour? To be honest it is just as good as any IPA that I have consumed because like all beer it is an aquired taste and to much of anything could make you sick, simply put take a high end beer that is highly hopped and take a malt liqour and give it to someone who has never tried any beer before and they would think that both are disquisting!! This is a bang for the buck and works well wheter your on a tight budget or you have a lot of money and besides it is up to you, the drinker to decide what your taste buds like not some amateurs on a website who have no idea what they are talking about.

10-06-2013 22:41:30 | More by kadrewparham
Darkmagus82

2.46/5  rDev +20%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – As could be seen from the clear bottle, the brew pours a medium golden color. Upon pouring there is a huge two billowy white head on the top of the brew, which fades very fast to leave a light level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is quite heavy of a stale sweet corn smell mixed with a little bit of breadiness. There are some lighter notes of a musty graininess as well as some light rice smell and a bit of herb.

Taste – The taste begins with a light, but somewhat crisp flavor of corn and a bit of a bready taste. In the beginning the taste is not nearly as sweet as the nose would have suggested. The taste does however end up gaining more sweetness as the flavor advances. A sweet corn and a little bit of caramel develop more potency as the flavor moves on. While it sweetness it also gains some more musty grain and papery tastes as the flavor advances. In the end a light lemon flavor joins the profile leaving a corny and musty flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was thin and slightly watery with a carbonation level that was on the slightly higher side. The thin body and the higher carbonation are very nice for the style making it a quick and easy drinker.

Overall – An alright malt, but not the best out there. It is a bit on the crisper side for a malt, so if that is what your going for then this is a decent choice.

09-06-2013 23:49:32 | More by Darkmagus82
Carl_R

Oklahoma

2.28/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

There is not much going on here, I used to be able to get a couple of these for around $ 5.00 when I was in high school. I have not had one since but they used to be a cost effective way to get a nice buzz when taste comes a distance second to price. Nice memories but I doubt I would be a fan now.

07-27-2013 02:32:25 | More by Carl_R
tzieser

Arizona

3.8/5  rDev +85.4%

poured from a 40oz bottle into my Duvel tulip...wait who am i kidding? i drank this bastard straight outta the bottle, wrapped in a brown paper bag as any post-recession crazed, red-blooded american would!

a: straw golden color with a foamy white head. not much else to speak of.

s: sweet malty aroma, slight notes of toasted corn and alcohol. c'mon, its malt liquor; the aroma is not supposed to be bold or pleasant.

t: more sweet malted corn flavor with a decent kick of alcohol. the flavor is definitely stronger in the west coast formula due to the 7.5% ABV. not quite as watery as the east coast version but it still finishes nice and dry as any true malt liquor does.

m: quite watery and boozy. not much malt flavor to cover the alcohol but enough to keep it from being totally undrinkable (in my opinion, of course).

o: this is probably my favorite true malt liquour on the market (no, Rogue's old "daddy's little helper" or Dogfish Head's "Liquor de Malt" do not count as a true malt liquour. sorry.). I'll take this over Colt 40, St. Ides, Mickey's or Cobra any day but Private Stock still might be my favorite. i was shocked to see this has an ABV of 7.5%. i did a bit of research and apparently the west coast gets a stronger version than we do back east. weird.

06-13-2013 22:16:17 | More by tzieser
El_Dino

Ontario (Canada)

4.86/5  rDev +137.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If I were to sum myself up in one word, it's swank. I'm a guy who only cares for the fine things in life. If you're like me, then Olde English is the beer for you. The aroma of oak is evident once you open it (probably what is was aged in). The taste is smooth and sweet, similar to many other high-end European beers. I became violently ill shortly after finishing this (probably unrelated).

05-06-2013 03:55:53 | More by El_Dino
bbluemzbeer

4.13/5  rDev +101.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer in college. Me and my roommates bought kegs of this sutff for THE house parites in college. We willl tell the guest it was budweiser and they would suck it down like it was water. At the end party , we would make more money because we would only have to buy one keg instead of two KEGS of budweiser. These college parties would pay for your rent and extra spending money. Thanks alot Miller Company

Now , 20 year later I bought some of can last night. I was not excepting much it was suuprising good. THe smell was good. It smells like a american beer like metal.

I drank the beer cold in a mug and it was suprising Very crisp, the carbonation gives it a very smooth body. High marks for good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, and not much -lingering taste. I . I drank my 24 oz in half an hour. This beer gets the job done!

03-27-2013 16:49:24 | More by bbluemzbeer
iman99

Louisiana

3.1/5  rDev +51.2%

I have drank a lot of Olde English. I have drank a lot of beer and liquor. I have drank around 300 different beer brands and 100 hard liquor brands. I like to drink and I hope I can do something more constructive... Well for now I might go get one of these bad boys after finishing this review.

Olde English 800 is your average tasting 40 oz that you buy because its 2 dollars and you grab one and drink it and paint the house.

Everything about it is okay. From the color to the taste its neither good nor bad.

02-23-2013 21:22:47 | More by iman99
mfndsvp

2.43/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

This malt liquor is piss. Only drank it because it was free. The beer itself is pretty flat. It tastes like a 40 oz. Looks like a 40 oz. Would rather drink a nice trippel or something. It is just not my style of preference. Damn you miller for making suck beverages.

01-21-2013 22:09:55 | More by mfndsvp
mfnmbvp

1.48/5  rDev -27.8%

A friend just walked in the door yielding a full piss yellow 40 oz. bottle, and poured me a glass into my Boulevard tulip. Bottle reads best by May 20, 2013.

A - Semi-aggressive pour yielded about a finger and half of head that receded quicker than I would have imagined. Extremely clear yellow water appearance.

S - Smells of chemically treated malts and corn husk, with some dust. Giving off the basic standard Miller vibe.

T - This is definitely a macrobrew. Definitely a Miller product. Thicker and heavier than the usual Miller Lite, Miller Genuine Draft, etc. But no where near as carbonated, I will give it credit for that. Does it make it taste any better? Not at all. Typical malt liquor flavor. Chemically treated malts and corn husks, again.

M - Thin and watery, no real lingering flavor of any kind aside from the dusty chemical malt. I think I'm just going to say I'm glad none of the "flavors" really stick around.

In all, I can't think of a single good reason to go ahead and buy one of these, especially in a 40 oz. My friend who brought it didn't even buy it, it was given to him for free. I guess drink it if you've got it.

Miller Brewing Olde English 800---1.5/5

01-21-2013 21:52:52 | More by mfnmbvp
fastrodney

2.68/5  rDev +30.7%

Tall golden can poured into a weizen glass. Perhaps not review-appropriate, but served ice-cold. That temperature is standard for the style, though...

A: Straw gold. Moderately thick head dissipated slowly.

S: Cooked grain and alcohol.

T: Cooked grain and alcohol. A hint of hop bitterness lurking around somewhere in the background.

M: Thin with high carbonation.

O: Not the worst in the style, but far from my favorite. One of the primary places where it fails is its lack of the sugary sweetness that helps mask the utilitarian nature of the style.

01-20-2013 22:41:44 | More by fastrodney

Freshness: Best by 03-25-2013
Packaging: 24 oz. can
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: Single from Daily's Market

Finally getting around to reviewing a malt liquor!

A: Pours with a tight head of 2 fingers. The beer is clear and a bright golden color. Lacing is low with a fair amount of head retention.

S: Aromas are of sweet, light malts, plus hay and some light, grassy hop notes. Overall not a lot of aroma, however.

T: Hmm, not too much in the way of taste -- some sweet, light grains is about it. No bitterness to speak of. It's not offensive, but its not flavorful either.

M: Thin body with a high carbonation content. Not really any aftertaste.

O: So this wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I've had some beers I couldn't finish, but this one wasn't horrible tasting and I could drink it. It just didn't have much taste to speak of.

01-12-2013 02:13:29 | More by sommersb
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.23/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours straw yellow with a white head that has decent retention. Some thin lacing sticks.

The smell is of corn oil, slight grain and a hint of alcohol.

The taste is pretty empty. Some corn, a touch of husk. It is on the sweet side, with an abrupt finish. The alcohol is on the mild side for the style.

The feel is watery, but astringent.

It's not "terrible", but it is certainly not good. It is rather weak for the style. It's pretty drinkable, considering. It's a sweet-ish, rather bland, cheap Malt Liquor.

12-22-2012 00:57:04 | More by jwc215
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.