Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
2.35/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. Olde E -- the drink of distinction! I'll confess the last time I had Olde E was more than 10 years ago and I was probably underage at the time. Clearly, it made an impression on me back then.

Appearance: medium gold with no haze and a moderate effervescence, just like a lot of these malt liquors. Head poured a finger of fizzy white foam but, I'm amazed to say, it didn't dissipate instantly. Head stuck around at least twice as long as other malt liquors (so, you know, 30 seconds).

Smell: sweet malt aroma but not as plasticy as some; it's both lower in intensity and a little bit deeper than a lot of malt liquors. Not awful for the style.

Taste: sweetish malt, again with a certain deepness. I can't say that I'm a fan, exactly, but this is not terrible as malt liquors go.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a light fizzy carbonation. Nothing to speak of here.

Overall: I'm hardly a malt liquor connoisseur, but for sub-$2 24oz cans of anything beer-like, you might have a hard time beating Olde E. (1,054 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -10.4%

2013 Olde English “800” - Reviewed 2/12/2013

"Michael Hagan's idea of a good time is to guzzle a few bottles of Olde English "800" Malt Liquor and smoke PCP with his fellow gang members in the slums of south central Los Angeles. There is no telling what might happen."
-"Life and Death with the Gangs" Time Magazine, August 1987

Appearance:
Olde English is poured tonight into a fluted crystal glass to best harness the carbonation and divert the aroma upwards. This does great things for the presentation of the malt liquor. The bubbles caress the sides of the glass and invite the drinker to partake in its refreshment.

Smell:
Olde "800" stank like the back alley in funky north Philly where I once bought some black market copper pipe fittings. It stings the nostrils with hints of sex-panther and moldy soap. After careful consideration, I have determined that this is possibly the worst smelling 40 that we have ever tasted, but honestly when was the last time that anyone smelled something they tasted?

Taste:
What is it that gives Olde English "800" its signature flavour? Is it the mysterious tang that accompanies the carbonation? Is it the back-sweetened corn malt? Is it the extra "e" in the word "Olde"? Does it bother you that I am spelling "flavour" like an englishman? All questions that come to mind when tasting the quixotic liquor.

Mouthfeel:
I've run out of ways to describe how beer feels on the tongue. It feels like beer.

Overall:
The aire of mystery that surrounds the 40 is palpable (or maybe its just the weird after taste). The sarcastic quotation marks that surround the "800" taunt the drinker. A true connoisseur will know that this is indeed what olde england would have enjoyed. Olde English "800" pairs well with traditional Bangers n' Mash, or even a mouthful of dirt with a side of monty python if real english fare is unavailable. This malt liquor is as dry as British humor, and as inviting as an Oxford boarding school. I will definitely be enjoying the 40 maybe eventually sometime in the future. Enjoy. (2,057 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +48.7%

Serving type plastic 40 oz bottle, with a football style grip.

Appearance, the beer is a light golden color. Just enough to obscure anything viewed through the bottle.

Smell Is Malty And Almost Metallic.

Taste follows the smell quite nicely, I do detect a subtle banana flavor like a hefe, but very light on the tail end

Smooth as can be

Overall a perfect malt beverage. If you are looking for a world class beer, stay away. No hops or sour to speak of, but for an American Malt Beverage, this is amazing and it gets better after each sip.
Not a big fan of the new plastic bottles, but I feel like it would hurt less to get hit by one of these.
Seek out the glass vintage, it seems to taste better.
Cheers,
Tikk (721 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +27.8%

American style Malt Liquor...not bad for a malt liquor. I bought a 4 pack of tall boys for $3.35 and after the first couple of drinks it goes down OK. Malt Liquor is not for everybody but I like it....yes it has a strong metallic....bitter taste but in some old school way that is why I like it....call me crazy...I like my OE 800 ice cold and have even used it to mix with Stout... (382 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +85.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm seeing so much hate about this brew. This stuff is delicious and cheap, perfect for a man on a budget. I prefer this to budweiser or any other American beer anyday. The bottle and label also looks bad ass which is major points for. I could go for 3 40's right now. (268 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I've seen this beer in more homeless peoples hand than any other on the ground at parks too so when i first tried it i felt i was joining some unspoken covenant of dirt poor alcoholics and it wasn't half bad a little stronger than colt 45 but 7.5 alc makes sure you feel it and feel it quick a little heavy on the stomach but tolerable classic malt smell little bit too much carbonation kind of leaves you with a thizz face if you chug it but its cheap and gets the job done (474 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +65.7%

(review #700 - poured into an English pint)

A: perfectly clear, light piss gold hue... chemical-scum-structured fizzy head, falls to a thin collar... actually leaves some streaks of lace, if you chug

S: cidery lager, maybe a touch cheap champagne-like... not much malt aroma to be had... extremely weak overall, however, not so much off-putting...

T: certainly has a malty base to it, with not as much of the depth of grain flavor stripped away as I might've thought... light corn syrup thread - similar to fake maple syrup (sans maple flavoring)... perhaps a faint newspapery note in the finish... touch of a metallic twang in the aftertaste...

M: fills a bit full at first, but soon washes away mildly sudsy and pretty dang dry... the delicate fusels go right to your head, giving it a slight woozy hum... light-moderate gassy-ness... mild heat flare and mucus-inducing in the backs of the nostrils, if you chug

O: first time I had this I was 16 - swilled it from the bottle like a baby, eyes all waterin'... a friend and I went with this chick he was trying to make out with over to her ex-boyfriend's house to get weed... stayed till 'round 5am, got all dizzied up, I left just as my friend and the chick started goin at it... apparently, the ex woke up and found them together on the couch - fussin' and a cussin' ensued... seemed like it took me hours to finish guzzling that shit - I can vaguely recall closing my eyes and powering the last few ounces down, face glowing red - remember it being more cloying... I guess I'm a fancy beer nerd now and, I must say, this truly ain't half bad for what it is - gotta admit, I was quaffin' away at it! (1,658 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

This beer pours somewhat well, actually, may achieve some head to the beverage but overall its a very unpleasing pale pissy yellow but what can you expect form a malt beverage.

It doesnt have that stale , predictable smell of those other low end brews but still, not my cup of tea.

The bite of the alcohol is a decent attribute aiding in a sweet, grainy flavor. Again, not what I'm looking for but noteworthy

mouthfeel is meh

overall a 1.75 (444 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +53.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Olde English 800 brewed by Miller Brewing Co. This brew is a malt liquor and it pours out a nice golden color with a nice light white head. Olde English 800 has an ABV of 5.9%. This brew has the look and smell of most malt liquors. The smell is sweet, with grains and malts. Nothing special but nothing bad. This brew has a lot carbonation. The taste is smooth and crisp for being a malt liquor. You get a hint of sweetness, but it is not over powering. This brew goes down nice. Mouth feel is nice too, nothing bad about this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.5 out of 5. I will pick this brew up again. (609 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -19.6%

What limits my description of this beer it the lack of a drop-down menu for the resulting hangover.

This beer is bad. Yes it's also cheap but that doesn't make up for how "un-beer-like" it is. I know there is a cult following for "40's" but this one is not worth your time. There are much better examples out there.
Normally I would comment on the pour. I won't bother: it should stay in the bottle it actually been designed that way.

The color is a light grain blonde. This is the best feature of this beer. There is also a clearly printed brewing date proudly displayed on the bottle. This is important as the bottle is perfectly clear and would leave the brew prone to some serious skunking if left near light for some time.

I would also comment on the aroma. There is none except the slight smell of bread.

And there is almost no taste. Malt? no. Liquor? no. At best all I could taste was the heavy carbonation. I get the idea that this is intentional.

But I will say that this product is perfectly designed and portioned to get the average working class man drunk for what little expendable income he has left after his wages are garnered for child support. It's pure genius in that regard.

I would say its better to go with some other "40" except maybe hurricane. (1,279 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +42.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.25

I don't understand why this beer has so many negative views. For 7 bucks I can get a 12 pack. That's better than most other brands that range from 8 to 12 bucks.

The taste is like good old carbonated water with a bit of a frothy golden feel to it. Slightly fruity but easy going down.

I know people enjoy their craft selection but com on we drink this stuff to feel good. Argue all you want about why you drink beer but honestly we all drink it for the same reason to varying degrees. For the price the quality of this beer is fairly decent. (545 characters)

2.87/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

24 Ounce Can poured into a chilled glass.

A - Big, thick foamy head that was fleeting and retreated to a thin lace..

S - Sweetness with some corn and fruitiness.

T - Slight corn with some fruitiness. No hops or malt evident. Of course, that isn't what malt liquor is about.

M - Thin when cold with some tanginess but becomes syrupy as it warms.

O - This IS the classic malt liquor; nothing complex - just gets the job done. (428 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Its been sittin in the garage for 3 months. I got no other beers save a couple bottles of a porter, that I want to save. How about a review? I havent bought Old E for actually drinking since the mid 90's. Lets go.

Poured from a 40, into a lager mug. Gold, nice head, leaving nice lacing on the mugs sides.

Aroma, dry, metallic, heavy "beery" smell. Not bad actually. Deja vu, not good.

Dry, metal, like chewing on a dry stalk of wheat, then sucking on a quarter. I got a bad feeling, and I think I will stop now.

No wonder when most of my guys back in the days were drinking this, or St. Ides, I stuck to my bottles of Riunite Lambrusco. (645 characters)

Purchased 32 oz for $1.89 at a local liquor store.

Drank straight from the bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag, because I'm classy like that.

A = Piss yellow and crystal clear. Being in a clear bottle bombarded by fluorescent lights, I knew I was in for a nasty, light-stricken mess of a beer. After purchasing, me and my brother laughed because it looked exactly like a bottle of Listerine at the grocery store. Upon cracking the resealable twist off cap, a great deal of piss-like foam surged upwards like a soda.

S = Skunk and spent grain.

T = Harsh, skunky, sour corn and pee. Worst beer I've ever had...

M = Can't recall well, as the initial harsh flavor was so shockingly bad that I didn't take another sip.

O = Poured the rest of this one out for my homies. At less than $2 it's not like I was losing anything worth having. Unless you're looking for the cheapest, nastiest way to get buzzed possible, stay away from this one. I admit this was bought as more of a gag and I had no intentions of finishing it. Needless to say, my low expectations were met... thoroughly. (1,081 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +89.1%

I'd say this is by far the easiest malt liquor I've drank. Smooth, good taste, and cheap. Not at all like 211 and for some reason I was never keen on trying this particular malt until my friends got me to try it. Glad I did. Definitely plan on getting it more often. (266 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +45.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not an "awful". It is very drinkable...not too bad. After seeing the gutter ball ratings this beer had, I went down to the 7-eleven, tonite, and bought a bottle of Olde English for 3 and a half bucks. Cracked that shit and drank a good, not great, but an all around decent beer. You can't drink this beer and expect the Ferrari experience....know that you are not driving a Ferrari, but a station wagon...expect that and you will probably enjoy this beer. Nice yellow color with a pleasing flavor and taste, nothing distracting here. (557 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +58.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I can only speak for the can but this beer is alot better than scored here. I generally hit the Asian deli in Mayfair, Philadelphia after I pick up my girls on Friday night. Just the one 16oz is enough, and I call this my hood beer (not that Mayfair is that bad of a neighborhood). This is actually better (and way less expensive at a $1.35 can) than alot of mediocre craft Ive had.

Pretty golden to yellow color, pale, nice fluffy cotton candy head. Nice malty aroma, no off smells with a little fruity presence. Really good taste, nicely malted, hints of apple and pear (my preferred flavor profile for lagers, I guess a malt liquor is a lager) even a little hops noted. Crisp, clean, refreshing, no off tastes, very smooth easy drinking yet packs a nice little punch.

I look forward to and enjoy this beer every Friday night, and really, what else matters? (862 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +74.3%

Good by itself, great mixed with equal halves orange juice. The hops are calling my name. Every time one of my train hoppin' buddies brings one of these bad boys along, I cave and trade my last lucky strike for it. It puts hair on the chest. Makes ya tough! (257 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

I purchased this 16 ounce beauty from one of the more reputable quick marts in town.

The olde school lettering and vaguely crown-like symbol
along with the fact the can was gold caught my interest.

That and it "only" cost a buck. My expectations were sky high.

Odd orange/yellow color with a substantial head that retreats
faster than a French infantryman.

The aroma was that of urine and some other unidentifiable toxic
chemicals.

The taste was quite bland until I let it warm up. Big mistake.

Mouthfeel was the best part, although that could have been due
to the milk stout I had half an hour before.

I want my dollar back. (632 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +31.7%

It is what you should expect from malt liquor.
For an interesting twist, try it warmed sometime, and I do not mean room temp. An acquaintance offered a sample of his preferred style of consumption which was to leave the bottle sitting out in the warm summer sun for a couple of hours. I have to say that it does mellow the flavor making it strangely palatable. (360 characters)

I give this a 5 across the board because it is what it is "MALT LIQUOR" and it meets all the expectations of just that, it is easy to drink and is very inexpensive if anyone is coming onto this website to and rating a 2 or 3 then there is something wrong with them and that person should ask them self, was I dissapointed because the malt liquour was not a 5 and did not meet my expectations, or was I dissapointed because I drank malt liqour? To be honest it is just as good as any IPA that I have consumed because like all beer it is an aquired taste and to much of anything could make you sick, simply put take a high end beer that is highly hopped and take a malt liqour and give it to someone who has never tried any beer before and they would think that both are disquisting!! This is a bang for the buck and works well wheter your on a tight budget or you have a lot of money and besides it is up to you, the drinker to decide what your taste buds like not some amateurs on a website who have no idea what they are talking about. (1,036 characters)

2.47/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – As could be seen from the clear bottle, the brew pours a medium golden color. Upon pouring there is a huge two billowy white head on the top of the brew, which fades very fast to leave a light level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is quite heavy of a stale sweet corn smell mixed with a little bit of breadiness. There are some lighter notes of a musty graininess as well as some light rice smell and a bit of herb.

Taste – The taste begins with a light, but somewhat crisp flavor of corn and a bit of a bready taste. In the beginning the taste is not nearly as sweet as the nose would have suggested. The taste does however end up gaining more sweetness as the flavor advances. A sweet corn and a little bit of caramel develop more potency as the flavor moves on. While it sweetness it also gains some more musty grain and papery tastes as the flavor advances. In the end a light lemon flavor joins the profile leaving a corny and musty flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was thin and slightly watery with a carbonation level that was on the slightly higher side. The thin body and the higher carbonation are very nice for the style making it a quick and easy drinker.

Overall – An alright malt, but not the best out there. It is a bit on the crisper side for a malt, so if that is what your going for then this is a decent choice. (1,438 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

There is not much going on here, I used to be able to get a couple of these for around $ 5.00 when I was in high school. I have not had one since but they used to be a cost effective way to get a nice buzz when taste comes a distance second to price. Nice memories but I doubt I would be a fan now. (298 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +65.2%

poured from a 40oz bottle into my Duvel tulip...wait who am i kidding? i drank this bastard straight outta the bottle, wrapped in a brown paper bag as any post-recession crazed, red-blooded american would!

a: straw golden color with a foamy white head. not much else to speak of.

s: sweet malty aroma, slight notes of toasted corn and alcohol. c'mon, its malt liquor; the aroma is not supposed to be bold or pleasant.

t: more sweet malted corn flavor with a decent kick of alcohol. the flavor is definitely stronger in the west coast formula due to the 7.5% ABV. not quite as watery as the east coast version but it still finishes nice and dry as any true malt liquor does.

m: quite watery and boozy. not much malt flavor to cover the alcohol but enough to keep it from being totally undrinkable (in my opinion, of course).

o: this is probably my favorite true malt liquour on the market (no, Rogue's old "daddy's little helper" or Dogfish Head's "Liquor de Malt" do not count as a true malt liquour. sorry.). I'll take this over Colt 40, St. Ides, Mickey's or Cobra any day but Private Stock still might be my favorite. i was shocked to see this has an ABV of 7.5%. i did a bit of research and apparently the west coast gets a stronger version than we do back east. weird. (1,278 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +110.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If I were to sum myself up in one word, it's swank. I'm a guy who only cares for the fine things in life. If you're like me, then Olde English is the beer for you. The aroma of oak is evident once you open it (probably what is was aged in). The taste is smooth and sweet, similar to many other high-end European beers. I became violently ill shortly after finishing this (probably unrelated). (392 characters)

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.