2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

pDev: 40%

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Ratings: 695 | Reviews: 272 | Show All Ratings:
nicholas2121

3.51/5  rDev +71.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Olde English 800 brewed by Miller Brewing Co. This brew is a malt liquor and it pours out a nice golden color with a nice light white head. Olde English 800 has an abv of 5.9. This brew has the look and smell of most malt liquors. The smell is sweet and beer like. Nothing special but nothing bad. This brew has a lot carbonation. The taste is smooth and crisp for being a malt liquor. You get a hint of sweetness, but it is not over powering. This brew goes down nice. Mouth feel is nice too, nothing bad about this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.5 out of 5. I will pick this brew up again.

04-15-2014 03:32:43 | More by nicholas2121
theresasnakeinmyboot

Kansas

3.31/5  rDev +61.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.25

I don't understand why this beer has so many negative views. For 7 bucks I can get a 12 pack. That's better than most other brands that range from 8 to 12 bucks.

The taste is like good old carbonated water with a bit of a frothy golden feel to it. Slightly fruity but easy going down.

I know people enjoy their craft selection but com on we drink this stuff to feel good. Argue all you want about why you drink beer but honestly we all drink it for the same reason to varying degrees. For the price the quality of this beer is fairly decent.

03-11-2014 05:24:31 | More by theresasnakeinmyboot
Retroman40

Kentucky

2.88/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

24 Ounce Can poured into a chilled glass.

A - Big, thick foamy head that was fleeting and retreated to a thin lace..

S - Sweetness with some corn and fruitiness.

T - Slight corn with some fruitiness. No hops or malt evident. Of course, that isn't what malt liquor is about.

M - Thin when cold with some tanginess but becomes syrupy as it warms.

O - This IS the classic malt liquor; nothing complex - just gets the job done.

02-18-2014 00:24:52 | More by Retroman40
RacerX5k

3.93/5  rDev +91.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I can only speak for the can but this beer is alot better than scored here. I generally hit the Asian deli in Mayfair, Philadelphia after I pick up my girls on Friday night. Just the one 16oz is enough, and I call this my hood beer (not that Mayfair is that bad of a neighborhood). This is actually better (and way less expensive at a $1.35 can) than alot of mediocre craft Ive had.

Pretty golden to yellow color, pale, nice fluffy cotton candy head. Nice malty aroma, no off smells with a little fruity presence. Really good taste, nicely malted, hints of apple and pear (my preferred flavor profile for lagers, I guess a malt liquor is a lager) even a little hops noted. Crisp, clean, refreshing, no off tastes, very smooth easy drinking yet packs a nice little punch.

I look forward to and enjoy this beer every Friday night, and really, what else matters?

12-16-2013 14:11:45 | More by RacerX5k
PvtSnowball

1.65/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

I purchased this 16 ounce beauty from one of the more reputable quick marts in town.

The olde school lettering and vaguely crown-like symbol
along with the fact the can was gold caught my interest.

That and it "only" cost a buck. My expectations were sky high.

Odd orange/yellow color with a substantial head that retreats
faster than a French infantryman.

The aroma was that of urine and some other unidentifiable toxic
chemicals.

The taste was quite bland until I let it warm up. Big mistake.

Mouthfeel was the best part, although that could have been due
to the milk stout I had half an hour before.

I want my dollar back.

12-08-2013 22:48:05 | More by PvtSnowball
kadrewparham

Washington

I give this a 5 across the board because it is what it is "MALT LIQUOR" and it meets all the expectations of just that, it is easy to drink and is very inexpensive if anyone is coming onto this website to and rating a 2 or 3 then there is something wrong with them and that person should ask them self, was I dissapointed because the malt liquour was not a 5 and did not meet my expectations, or was I dissapointed because I drank malt liqour? To be honest it is just as good as any IPA that I have consumed because like all beer it is an aquired taste and to much of anything could make you sick, simply put take a high end beer that is highly hopped and take a malt liqour and give it to someone who has never tried any beer before and they would think that both are disquisting!! This is a bang for the buck and works well wheter your on a tight budget or you have a lot of money and besides it is up to you, the drinker to decide what your taste buds like not some amateurs on a website who have no idea what they are talking about.

10-06-2013 22:41:30 | More by kadrewparham
bbluemzbeer

4.13/5  rDev +101.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer in college. Me and my roommates bought kegs of this sutff for THE house parites in college. We willl tell the guest it was budweiser and they would suck it down like it was water. At the end party , we would make more money because we would only have to buy one keg instead of two KEGS of budweiser. These college parties would pay for your rent and extra spending money. Thanks alot Miller Company

Now , 20 year later I bought some of can last night. I was not excepting much it was suuprising good. THe smell was good. It smells like a american beer like metal.

I drank the beer cold in a mug and it was suprising Very crisp, the carbonation gives it a very smooth body. High marks for good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, and not much -lingering taste. I . I drank my 24 oz in half an hour. This beer gets the job done!

03-27-2013 16:49:24 | More by bbluemzbeer
fastrodney

2.68/5  rDev +30.7%

Tall golden can poured into a weizen glass. Perhaps not review-appropriate, but served ice-cold. That temperature is standard for the style, though...

A: Straw gold. Moderately thick head dissipated slowly.

S: Cooked grain and alcohol.

T: Cooked grain and alcohol. A hint of hop bitterness lurking around somewhere in the background.

M: Thin with high carbonation.

O: Not the worst in the style, but far from my favorite. One of the primary places where it fails is its lack of the sugary sweetness that helps mask the utilitarian nature of the style.

01-20-2013 22:41:44 | More by fastrodney

Freshness: Best by 03-25-2013
Packaging: 24 oz. can
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: Single from Daily's Market

Finally getting around to reviewing a malt liquor!

A: Pours with a tight head of 2 fingers. The beer is clear and a bright golden color. Lacing is low with a fair amount of head retention.

S: Aromas are of sweet, light malts, plus hay and some light, grassy hop notes. Overall not a lot of aroma, however.

T: Hmm, not too much in the way of taste -- some sweet, light grains is about it. No bitterness to speak of. It's not offensive, but its not flavorful either.

M: Thin body with a high carbonation content. Not really any aftertaste.

O: So this wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I've had some beers I couldn't finish, but this one wasn't horrible tasting and I could drink it. It just didn't have much taste to speak of.

01-12-2013 02:13:29 | More by sommersb
Fatehunter

Oregon

1.73/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured into a lager glass. Pretty clear pour, light straw color in the glass. Three and half fingers of head. Despite tall head, it dissipated rapidly.
It smells day-long wet grains. Not horrible.
Watery taste at first, quickly moved towards sweet... and just stayed there. Not a malty sweet, just a pure sugar sweetness that lingers uncomfortably long.
Smooth and light body. Moderate carbonation. Sticky texture. I did not like that.
It is what it is. Thankfully it is cheap. I've had way worse cost to satisfaction ratios with other beers. Still, it's doubtful I'll be physically able to finish the 24 oz can.

10-01-2012 20:02:44 | More by Fatehunter
rfgetz

2.13/5  rDev +3.9%

Golden yellow in color, suprisingly thick head with little retention. Scent is pale and meek, some light malt, light sweet corn and metallic notes. Taste again is somewhat clean for style, light sweet malts, sweet corn. Light, fizzy, some lingering warmth. It is what it is, and thats not very good.

07-02-2012 15:23:56 | More by rfgetz
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

1.23/5  rDev -40%

Reviewed from notes.

A. Bright translucent yet dark pee yellow in color with a brief fizzle for a head that falls apart in less than half a minute and leaves no lacing whatsoever.

S, T. Large amounts of metal, partially spoiled corn, lesser amounts of cardboard and fusel alcohols. A tiny twang of generic hops that are also partially spoiled.

M. Thin, watery, fizzy fluff. Nasty metallic aftertaste just keeps going and going like the Energizer Bunny.

Why is this malt liquor so much more ingrained in pop culture than all the other malt liquors? I tried this brew with the intention of seeking out the answer to this riddle but all I am left with is more questions. I have decided that I am content to never know the answer to these questions. Looking into the abyss only once is enough for me.

03-31-2012 23:16:15 | More by WastingFreetime
DCon

Missouri

2.13/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a 24 FL. OZ. (709 ml) can of this from a Shell Gas Station in St. Louis, MO for $1.89 (happy hour early!?!). Poured from the Gold/Maroon colored can into a 12-14oz clear cup. Has APR 16 12 on the bottom of the can.

Aroma- Tons, tons, tons of malt. Light grains in the background.

Appearance- pours a 3 finger, frothy head that lasts for an unusually long time. Crystal clear, light golden body. Leaves thick lacing.

Flavor- Light grains, touch of sweetness, and strongly malted. No bitterness or anything special.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth, but then finishes with bit of grit and not anything I want to remember...

Overall Impression- Just wanted to fit in as I left the ghetto gas station with a 24 ozer in my hand with a lottery ticket. Would NEVER come back to this brew but was still interested in trying. I would avoid if I were you!

12-20-2011 22:20:09 | More by DCon
comfortablynumb1

2.45/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Used to be my go to brew when I was younger. Actually used to sport an O.E. shirt in those days. Man, I was cool. Anyways, it's been a while, so here we go...

Poured from a 24oz can into a FW pint glass...

A - Pours yellow with a one finger head that dissipates at a hasty pace. Lacing is minimal...

S - Sweet malts and corn. Alcohol doesn't come through very strong...

T - Pretty much follows the nose. Malty with a good amount of corn in the mix. Very earthy tasting. Alcohol is pretty well hidden here...

M - Very watered down. Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation...

O - I remember this one being a little more sweet. Not half bad. For the price, you can't really beat this if you looking for a cheap buzz. Thinking I will drink the rest out of the can...

Cheers...

12-16-2011 03:04:28 | More by comfortablynumb1
jeranbrews

Oklahoma

1.75/5  rDev -14.6%

A - roughly the same color as the can, a bronze gold mix. Very airy fluffy head. Bright white.

S - permanent markers and glue mixed with equal parts adjunt malt.

T - all the enjoyment of flat beer without the wait. You can have dull lifeless flat beer right now in the comfort of your home.

M - astringent caustic yet dull and watery. How'd they manage that ?

D - lack of flavor lack of "good" smells mediocre looks and poor texture. It is very affordable. So I'll boost it up to an overall 2

07-19-2011 00:51:28 | More by jeranbrews
lwillitz

2.1/5  rDev +2.4%

24-oz can poured into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

I needed beer in which to boil some brats, so I picked up a can. I used half for the brats and consumed the other half as I waited for them to boil.

A - huge white head disappears quickly; body is very light yellow and transparent. Looks more like colored water than beer.

S - grainy corn smell; alcohol; not much else to it

T - Honestly better than I expected, but that's not saying much. Strong corn flavor with a stale hop presence; alcohol.

M - thin and watery; high carbonation

O - Not really worth drinking. May be worth boiling brats--we'll see . . .

04-25-2011 22:06:01 | More by lwillitz
buschbeer

2.23/5  rDev +8.8%

24oz can
Served in a pint glass

A - It pours a clear golden color. It had two inches of white head for about 3.6 seconds.

S - It smells like sweet malt and grass.

T - I get grain and grass. That's about it.

M - It's damn near water.

O - It brings the urban experience to my country home.

04-15-2011 00:53:54 | More by buschbeer
BucBasil

South Carolina

1.63/5  rDev -20.5%

Continuing on my self-punishment tour of some of the worst brews ever, I take myself to a true hobo classic... the Olde English tallboy.

Drank straight up out of the 24oz can.

S: Smells like old stale macro on first whiff. I am not exaggerating. You know the smell of old beer that has sat out overnight after a party and you have to clean it up the morning after? That's what this is like. Slight sweetness, alcohol and metallic twang to bring it all together into one horrific package.

T: Kind of bitter, kind of sweet. A chore to swallow. Not too heavy on the alcohol but somehow it still burns. Consider it a perk, or part of the experience. Lingers on the palate like a bad cigarette.

Overall: Not something I'll ever subject myself to again. There are way better means of getting trashed than this, and though it's cheap, it's not at all worth the gagging and self loathing.

03-31-2011 04:34:59 | More by BucBasil
ElCommodoro

4.48/5  rDev +118.5%

Golden Standard:
This is the golden standard in malt liquor. It is the malt liquor against which all others are compared. How this came about, I don't know, but it is a damn good malt liquor. It is not necessarily the best in the category, but it is the one that I shall compare all others in the category against and so far, it is the best I have had. Except when I tried to chug one that was only mildly chilled while sitting in my car before a concert, I have always enjoyed this brew.

On another note, it sets the standard in ensuring that malt liquor labels contain random words or graphics that don't seem to make any sense. Why is it 800? What is 800 about it? And why is it required that "800" be in quotation marks? Is it to prevent the consumer from thinking that the product contains actual 800? Wouldn't want anyone to make that mistake. Could lead to lawsuits.

The Review:
Though the preferred serving vessel for this particular brew is the 40 oz. bottle, I opted to use a pint glass just for fun. It pours a very nice golden colour with a one inch head that disappears once you start drinking. The taste is exactly what I want in a malt liquor. It has a dominant note of corn nuts. Corn definitely plays a large role in this beer. It is not at all bitter. There are little to no hops in this beer. It is sweet, but by no means overly sweet. This malt liquor is exactly the right degree of sweet. The fusel aftertaste is barely noticeable. It has a DEFINITE aftertaste, but it tastes mostly of corn and alcohol. Despite the corn taste, there are definitely other ingredients in the malt. It has a cheap malt flavour that adds texture to the dominant corn flavour.

With each consecutive sip I take, I feel better. This truly is the perfect malt liquor. If you like that mildly sweet, corn-heavy malt flavour, uninhibited by hops and you like getting drunk and feeling all right, this is the malt liquor for you. This is something you can easily get used to. It doesn't make getting drunk a chore like high gravity beers. This beer is EASY, but not watery. It's a taste you can learn to love. So far, best malt liquor I've tried. In addition, it's better than most beers in its price range if you want taste and not just water. If you're not a fan of hops (and I'm not), I'd even put it above many beers that are well above it in price range. Four big thumbs up. Wait, no, five....three? How many thumbs do I have? They're looking a little hazy.
One downside to this beer is like all malt liquors it starts to feel a little nasty and overly sweet towards the end, even if kept well chilled throughout the experience. However, compared to other malt liquors, I'd say this one exhibits that problem the least. And if you have a little food to eat with it towards the end, that problems disappears entirely. Bottoms up!

03-26-2011 07:08:23 | More by ElCommodoro
gabedivision

1.43/5  rDev -30.2%

No clue why i wasted my dollar on this 24 oz can, i think teenage nostalgia may have hit me at the wrong time while in the corner store...but here goes.

A- Its got golden diet ginger ale look to it with a big frothy head that flattens soon after appearing.

S- This has a stench of an old bar mat. Old, and stale. Malty and yucky.

T- Pale metal coins, pennies to be exact, a mouthfull of pennies.

M- light and watery

D- There is none, if you can make it through a glass of this, then youre a better man than me.

03-12-2011 00:56:01 | More by gabedivision
Sachsenfreude

Germany

2.48/5  rDev +21%

So this is malt liquor, I'm impressed, well not really. Taste like cheap adjuncts as expected, yet not that bad. Sweet corn is most noticable but some hops balance with it rather well. Simple corny smell.

Clear yellow in color and maintains a thin head throughout the drink leaving some lacing, to my shock. The mouthfeel is thin, in a cheap, trashy sort of way and the finish is smooth but not refreshing.

For a malt liqour, this is rather good, still I hated it but praise is deserved, considering the style.

01-02-2011 19:49:33 | More by Sachsenfreude
richkrull

Wisconsin

2.33/5  rDev +13.7%

Another malt liquor for my out of the mystery beer machine. This one was slightly better than the Steel Reserve but not much. I actually wasn't even aware that this was made in 12oz cans. I thought it was only available in 40s. Not a bad beer, but I don't think I could drink too many of them in one sitting. Good if you want to get messed up, but not if you want to enjoy a beer.

12-30-2010 18:17:11 | More by richkrull
HalfFull

3.63/5  rDev +77.1%

24 oz. can poured into a pint glass. A rare visit to the Malt Liquor world I figured I'd see what this beverage is all about. Pours your standard clear straw in color, perhaps a bit more golden than many a Macro brew. Shows a better than average cap and lacing as well.

Nose is grainy and with a hint of citric hop to it. Corn notes are largely absent, emerging somewhat as the beer warms a bit along with some yeast notes.

Taste is slightly sweet but with no other defining characteristics to speak of. Perhaps again a hint of citric malt. Feel is creamy and with a bright carbonation which keeps a surface cap throughout the pour.

Not having a reference point for the style per se, I think this beer drinks fairly well and doesn't seem to deserve its bad rap. Certainly more enjoyable than an Adjunct Lager. My can was firmly carbonated and offered a notably better than anticipated experience.

12-27-2010 03:48:27 | More by HalfFull
BerkeleyBeerMan

1.25/5  rDev -39%

Appearance: Good head with some retention. The beer has a terrible copper color

Smell: This beers only smell is metallic. It's heavier on the malts than the hops.

Taste: This beer is mainly bitter and salty. It isn't very flavorful and it doesn't finish well. It leaves a dry aftertaste in the back of my throat. This beer is built poorly like a slackers weekend soapbox derby project. I feel like somebody just dumped the ingredients into a metal pot and went to catch a smoke. There is no love for beer in this product. It's just there to get drunk on. Olde English is one of the worst beers in the American macro malt liquor category

Mouthfeel: Slippery and watery. It doesn't have any body and I am forcing myself to swallow it. This beer is flat out of the can and doesn't have any carbonation. I suppose this is a trait of High Gravity beer, unfortunately carbonation might be the only thing that makes this beer drinkable

Drinkability: This beer isn't drinkable. Its unpleasant and leaves a terrible aftertaste. Avoid this beer.

12-08-2010 04:02:10 | More by BerkeleyBeerMan
Transatlantic

Tennessee

2.73/5  rDev +33.2%

I had Hurricane High Gravity a couple days ago and named it "Worst.Beer.Ever"
So, let's see how this Old English lays out...

A - Typical macro crystal clear straw yellow. Nice fluffy head that sticks around for a while with great lacing.

S - The smell of wet hay and warm underarm body odor. Not much else.

T - I'm quite surprised. It tastes like any of the big macro beer. After drinking the Hurricane High Gravity, I was sure I made another mistake, purchasing this OE...but it's not THAT bad. Tastes of corn and sweet malt with a clear finish.

M - Very thin and watery

D - At 7 1/2 percent abv, it's quite a surprise it didn't come off tasting like booze. If you're looking for a cheap drunk (like a homeless man) then this'll get you there no problem...and you won't have to have a chaser with it.

10-17-2010 23:40:53 | More by Transatlantic
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.