Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
2.29/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Drank from the 32 OZ bottle (without the paper bag). Aroma- not a pleasant aroma, mostly stale corn and wet grass. Appearance- crystal light golden color with lots of carbonation. Taste- really! It is made to impair and not to impress your taste buds. Overall- this is not a good beer and it isn't even a good malt liquor. Colt 45, Magnum and Private Stock are a lot better than this.

2.51/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that gradually died down, leaving a large patch of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of corn are present in the nose along with some hints of grain alcohol.
T: Similar to the smell, the beer tastes like an alcoholic version of corn flakes and has some amounts of associated sweetness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and a little smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer isn't all that offensive for a malt liquor, so if you are looking for something cheap that you can get a buzz off of, this isn't a bad option. There are only some traces of alcohol.

Serving type: can

4.26/5  rDev +96.3%

Damn, I drank the ice cold Westcoast (7.5% ABV) version and it felt great. I was happy that a friend of mine brought me a bottle from his US trip. In Germany I havent seen those 40 ounce bottles except in some well-known hip-hop movies :) I was happy to enjoy this swill. It had no bad aftertaste at all and the 7.5% ABV were well hidden. I wish in Europe we could buy those 40s in supermarkets but I think that will never happen. Y'all americans should be proud of your malt liquors and this brew is the king of them!

2.2/5  rDev +1.4%

It's a forty. A great way to get your drank on for the evening for less than $3.

Put some orange juice in it to make it palatable and a lot easier on your stomach, and it actually can taste OK once you are drunk enough.

1.05/5  rDev -51.6%

Back in early college the 7.5 AB and gangsta rap marketing made this a go to; now 20 years later I can say this was awful. It served itS purpose, but it is horrible. Only recommended to those looking to throw up or for the once in a lifetime game of Edward Fortyhands. - Cheers

4.34/5  rDev +100%

Smells terrible when poured in a glass but if you make a brass monkey (Drink it down to the label and pour Sunny D back to the top) it is pretty damn good.

2.15/5  rDev -0.9%

This brew is really nothing to write home about, the taste is alright. When I was younger this is all we used to drink. Its funny looking back on this brew now after exploring way better beers.

2.5/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Olde English is sort of the classic malt liquor. It has numerous movie, rap, music and other cultural references, and it isn't hard to see why. if you drink the stuff, it certainly is memorable. I don't know if there is methyl alcohol in here but the buzz is kind of intense and the people who say that they drink four or five of these a night are probably lying, and either way are people to steer clear of. It's alcohol in a pinch, just like aI said with the better Steel reserve. Treat with caution.

1.26/5  rDev -41.9%

Started out drinking this prior to being of age, drank a decent amount of it actually. I once dropped a full forty on my garage floor and the smell was lethal. Haven't touched the stuff since.

2.62/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This was never a first choice when we were scoring beer from an adult. The one time we did get this, was due to the wino who pimped for us. It was nasty, but it got the job done.

1.75/5  rDev -19.4%

Nasty bottom of the barrel higher alcohol content beer. Very harsh after taste and very malty taste. Had this in my very early (under aged drinking) days, and haven't had it since. This is truly not worth any amount of $.

1.14/5  rDev -47.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Some people like it but I think it is God awful. Who knows what is all in it and it tastes like play-doh. Count me out. There's a lot of other better cheap crap out there.

3.25/5  rDev +49.8%

A- Just looked like a mass produced American style lager when poured into a mug. Thick white head that shriveled up to nothing. It was very clear and golden with lots of bubbles.

S- Wet corn husks and very sweet barley malts.

T- Same as scent basically. Sweet corn husks and barley malts. There is a prominent grainy flavor. No alcohol taste was detected. Very, and I mean very, light hop oil taste was there. Virtually no hops were noticeable. It just reminds me of a sweeter High Life really. Pleasant as far as malt liquor is concerned.

M- Mouthfeel here is medium, but it's still pretty mild as far as American lagers are concerned. There is a bit of a corn syrup thickness. It is thicker and richer than a Miller High Life for sure. The drinkability is extremely high on this beer. This and private stock are the most palate friendly malt liquors I've ever had.

*I'm looking at this beer as a malt liquor and a American style lager only. If I'm looking at in that category, it's a good beer. Like I said in the mouthfeel, Private Stock and this are the best malt liquors I've ever had. Private Stock was my all time favorite malt liquor. But there is nothing wrong with this beer as a malt liquor. And at the price this beer is at, it's a winner. Don't knock Olde English 800 till you've tried it for yourself.

2.35/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. Olde E -- the drink of distinction! I'll confess the last time I had Olde E was more than 10 years ago and I was probably underage at the time. Clearly, it made an impression on me back then.

Appearance: medium gold with no haze and a moderate effervescence, just like a lot of these malt liquors. Head poured a finger of fizzy white foam but, I'm amazed to say, it didn't dissipate instantly. Head stuck around at least twice as long as other malt liquors (so, you know, 30 seconds).

Smell: sweet malt aroma but not as plasticy as some; it's both lower in intensity and a little bit deeper than a lot of malt liquors. Not awful for the style.

Taste: sweetish malt, again with a certain deepness. I can't say that I'm a fan, exactly, but this is not terrible as malt liquors go.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a light fizzy carbonation. Nothing to speak of here.

Overall: I'm hardly a malt liquor connoisseur, but for sub-$2 24oz cans of anything beer-like, you might have a hard time beating Olde E.

2.06/5  rDev -5.1%

2013 Olde English “800” - Reviewed 2/12/2013

"Michael Hagan's idea of a good time is to guzzle a few bottles of Olde English "800" Malt Liquor and smoke PCP with his fellow gang members in the slums of south central Los Angeles. There is no telling what might happen."
-"Life and Death with the Gangs" Time Magazine, August 1987

Olde English is poured tonight into a fluted crystal glass to best harness the carbonation and divert the aroma upwards. This does great things for the presentation of the malt liquor. The bubbles caress the sides of the glass and invite the drinker to partake in its refreshment.

Olde "800" stank like the back alley in funky north Philly where I once bought some black market copper pipe fittings. It stings the nostrils with hints of sex-panther and moldy soap. After careful consideration, I have determined that this is possibly the worst smelling 40 that we have ever tasted, but honestly when was the last time that anyone smelled something they tasted?

What is it that gives Olde English "800" its signature flavour? Is it the mysterious tang that accompanies the carbonation? Is it the back-sweetened corn malt? Is it the extra "e" in the word "Olde"? Does it bother you that I am spelling "flavour" like an englishman? All questions that come to mind when tasting the quixotic liquor.

I've run out of ways to describe how beer feels on the tongue. It feels like beer.

The aire of mystery that surrounds the 40 is palpable (or maybe its just the weird after taste). The sarcastic quotation marks that surround the "800" taunt the drinker. A true connoisseur will know that this is indeed what olde england would have enjoyed. Olde English "800" pairs well with traditional Bangers n' Mash, or even a mouthful of dirt with a side of monty python if real english fare is unavailable. This malt liquor is as dry as British humor, and as inviting as an Oxford boarding school. I will definitely be enjoying the 40 maybe eventually sometime in the future. Enjoy.

3.42/5  rDev +57.6%

Serving type plastic 40 oz bottle, with a football style grip.

Appearance, the beer is a light golden color. Just enough to obscure anything viewed through the bottle.

Smell Is Malty And Almost Metallic.

Taste follows the smell quite nicely, I do detect a subtle banana flavor like a hefe, but very light on the tail end

Smooth as can be

Overall a perfect malt beverage. If you are looking for a world class beer, stay away. No hops or sour to speak of, but for an American Malt Beverage, this is amazing and it gets better after each sip.
Not a big fan of the new plastic bottles, but I feel like it would hurt less to get hit by one of these.
Seek out the glass vintage, it seems to taste better.

2.94/5  rDev +35.5%

American style Malt Liquor...not bad for a malt liquor. I bought a 4 pack of tall boys for $3.35 and after the first couple of drinks it goes down OK. Malt Liquor is not for everybody but I like it....yes it has a strong metallic....bitter taste but in some old school way that is why I like it....call me crazy...I like my OE 800 ice cold and have even used it to mix with Stout...

4.27/5  rDev +96.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm seeing so much hate about this brew. This stuff is delicious and cheap, perfect for a man on a budget. I prefer this to budweiser or any other American beer anyday. The bottle and label also looks bad ass which is major points for. I could go for 3 40's right now.

3.16/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I've seen this beer in more homeless peoples hand than any other on the ground at parks too so when i first tried it i felt i was joining some unspoken covenant of dirt poor alcoholics and it wasn't half bad a little stronger than colt 45 but 7.5 alc makes sure you feel it and feel it quick a little heavy on the stomach but tolerable classic malt smell little bit too much carbonation kind of leaves you with a thizz face if you chug it but its cheap and gets the job done

3.81/5  rDev +75.6%

(review #700 - poured into an English pint)

A: perfectly clear, light piss gold hue... chemical-scum-structured fizzy head, falls to a thin collar... actually leaves some streaks of lace, if you chug

S: cidery lager, maybe a touch cheap champagne-like... not much malt aroma to be had... extremely weak overall, however, not so much off-putting...

T: certainly has a malty base to it, with not as much of the depth of grain flavor stripped away as I might've thought... light corn syrup thread - similar to fake maple syrup (sans maple flavoring)... perhaps a faint newspapery note in the finish... touch of a metallic twang in the aftertaste...

M: fills a bit full at first, but soon washes away mildly sudsy and pretty dang dry... the delicate fusels go right to your head, giving it a slight woozy hum... light-moderate gassy-ness... mild heat flare and mucus-inducing in the backs of the nostrils, if you chug

O: first time I had this I was 16 - swilled it from the bottle like a baby, eyes all waterin'... a friend and I went with this chick he was trying to make out with over to her ex-boyfriend's house to get weed... stayed till 'round 5am, got all dizzied up, I left just as my friend and the chick started goin at it... apparently, the ex woke up and found them together on the couch - fussin' and a cussin' ensued... seemed like it took me hours to finish guzzling that shit - I can vaguely recall closing my eyes and powering the last few ounces down, face glowing red - remember it being more cloying... I guess I'm a fancy beer nerd now and, I must say, this truly ain't half bad for what it is - gotta admit, I was quaffin' away at it!

1.73/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

This beer pours somewhat well, actually, may achieve some head to the beverage but overall its a very unpleasing pale pissy yellow but what can you expect form a malt beverage.

It doesnt have that stale , predictable smell of those other low end brews but still, not my cup of tea.

The bite of the alcohol is a decent attribute aiding in a sweet, grainy flavor. Again, not what I'm looking for but noteworthy

mouthfeel is meh

overall a 1.75

3.54/5  rDev +63.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Olde English 800 brewed by Miller Brewing Co. This brew is a malt liquor and it pours out a nice golden color with a nice light white head. Olde English 800 has an ABV of 5.9%. This brew has the look and smell of most malt liquors. The smell is sweet, with grains and malts. Nothing special but nothing bad. This brew has a lot carbonation. The taste is smooth and crisp for being a malt liquor. You get a hint of sweetness, but it is not over powering. This brew goes down nice. Mouth feel is nice too, nothing bad about this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.5 out of 5. I will pick this brew up again.

1.85/5  rDev -14.7%

What limits my description of this beer it the lack of a drop-down menu for the resulting hangover.

This beer is bad. Yes it's also cheap but that doesn't make up for how "un-beer-like" it is. I know there is a cult following for "40's" but this one is not worth your time. There are much better examples out there.
Normally I would comment on the pour. I won't bother: it should stay in the bottle it actually been designed that way.

The color is a light grain blonde. This is the best feature of this beer. There is also a clearly printed brewing date proudly displayed on the bottle. This is important as the bottle is perfectly clear and would leave the brew prone to some serious skunking if left near light for some time.

I would also comment on the aroma. There is none except the slight smell of bread.

And there is almost no taste. Malt? no. Liquor? no. At best all I could taste was the heavy carbonation. I get the idea that this is intentional.

But I will say that this product is perfectly designed and portioned to get the average working class man drunk for what little expendable income he has left after his wages are garnered for child support. It's pure genius in that regard.

I would say its better to go with some other "40" except maybe hurricane.

3.27/5  rDev +50.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.25

I don't understand why this beer has so many negative views. For 7 bucks I can get a 12 pack. That's better than most other brands that range from 8 to 12 bucks.

The taste is like good old carbonated water with a bit of a frothy golden feel to it. Slightly fruity but easy going down.

I know people enjoy their craft selection but com on we drink this stuff to feel good. Argue all you want about why you drink beer but honestly we all drink it for the same reason to varying degrees. For the price the quality of this beer is fairly decent.

2.87/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

24 Ounce Can poured into a chilled glass.

A - Big, thick foamy head that was fleeting and retreated to a thin lace..

S - Sweetness with some corn and fruitiness.

T - Slight corn with some fruitiness. No hops or malt evident. Of course, that isn't what malt liquor is about.

M - Thin when cold with some tanginess but becomes syrupy as it warms.

O - This IS the classic malt liquor; nothing complex - just gets the job done.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.