Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -26.1%

1.5/5  rDev -26.1%

Purchased 32 oz for $1.89 at a local liquor store.

Drank straight from the bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag, because I'm classy like that.

A = Piss yellow and crystal clear. Being in a clear bottle bombarded by fluorescent lights, I knew I was in for a nasty, light-stricken mess of a beer. After purchasing, me and my brother laughed because it looked exactly like a bottle of Listerine at the grocery store. Upon cracking the resealable twist off cap, a great deal of piss-like foam surged upwards like a soda.

S = Skunk and spent grain.

T = Harsh, skunky, sour corn and pee. Worst beer I've ever had...

M = Can't recall well, as the initial harsh flavor was so shockingly bad that I didn't take another sip.

O = Poured the rest of this one out for my homies. At less than $2 it's not like I was losing anything worth having. Unless you're looking for the cheapest, nastiest way to get buzzed possible, stay away from this one. I admit this was bought as more of a gag and I had no intentions of finishing it. Needless to say, my low expectations were met... thoroughly.

4.35/5  rDev +114.3%

I'd say this is by far the easiest malt liquor I've drank. Smooth, good taste, and cheap. Not at all like 211 and for some reason I was never keen on trying this particular malt until my friends got me to try it. Glad I did. Definitely plan on getting it more often.

3.35/5  rDev +65%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not an "awful". It is very drinkable...not too bad. After seeing the gutter ball ratings this beer had, I went down to the 7-eleven, tonite, and bought a bottle of Olde English for 3 and a half bucks. Cracked that shit and drank a good, not great, but an all around decent beer. You can't drink this beer and expect the Ferrari experience....know that you are not driving a Ferrari, but a station wagon...expect that and you will probably enjoy this beer. Nice yellow color with a pleasing flavor and taste, nothing distracting here.

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

2.25/5  rDev +10.8%

2.5/5  rDev +23.2%

2.75/5  rDev +35.5%

2.5/5  rDev +23.2%

3.64/5  rDev +79.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I can only speak for the can but this beer is alot better than scored here. I generally hit the Asian deli in Mayfair, Philadelphia after I pick up my girls on Friday night. Just the one 16oz is enough, and I call this my hood beer (not that Mayfair is that bad of a neighborhood). This is actually better (and way less expensive at a $1.35 can) than alot of mediocre craft Ive had.

Pretty golden to yellow color, pale, nice fluffy cotton candy head. Nice malty aroma, no off smells with a little fruity presence. Really good taste, nicely malted, hints of apple and pear (my preferred flavor profile for lagers, I guess a malt liquor is a lager) even a little hops noted. Crisp, clean, refreshing, no off tastes, very smooth easy drinking yet packs a nice little punch.

I look forward to and enjoy this beer every Friday night, and really, what else matters?

4.01/5  rDev +97.5%

Good by itself, great mixed with equal halves orange juice. The hops are calling my name. Every time one of my train hoppin' buddies brings one of these bad boys along, I cave and trade my last lucky strike for it. It puts hair on the chest. Makes ya tough!

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.