Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev +35%

Olde English 800....is this a barleywine? ;-)

I picked this up as a reminder of the insane crap I used to drink, and actually enjoy.

Appearance: clear straw/amber color, vigorous fluffy head that rapidly recedes to nada.

Smell: skunk, cloyingly sweet malt, grass clippings

Taste: flat grain, cheap cloying sweetness, cooked corn, faint bitterness.

Mouthfeel: slick, goes down easy enough.

As little as there is to this beer, and as negative as the review may seem I still think this is one of the top malt liquors out there. I have consumed more of this than I care to admit back in the day. Goes down easy, for all the trashy liquor it contains, you do the math.

2.28/5  rDev +5.1%

Well I have to say... There's a darn good reason why this stuff is cheap! I had a 40, and I had to commit the ultimate beer sin... pouring out half of it... The first half of the bottle was OK, but by the second half, I had to really struggle to drink it.. My standard arguments like "I paid money for this" really failed to work... It certainly smells rather gross too... It feels alright in your mouth, at least until it gets bitter... It's pretty sweet for malt liquor, not a good thing in my opinion... I personally prefer Schlitz Malt Liquor... I think it would taste MUCH better if I had just slammed the 40, but alas, I did not.

1.8/5  rDev -17.1%

24 oz. bomber can given to me by my fellow college friend Pete who swears by this stuff...thanks Pete you shouldn't have (REALLY) but anyways on to the review.

Appearance-I can't believe I just poured this stuff out into a pint glass....murky blonde color, a half inch of foam that slowly dissapears.

Smell-nothing really, fairly clean except for the obvious ALCOHOL ambush scent. I think I may be buzzed already...just kidding!

Taste-can you say sugar? Really sweet, powerful alcohol hits you immediately, nothing else really to speak of, sort of hard to put down.

Mouthfeel-bland, too syrupy sweet, like somebody just poured liquid sugar over alcohol.

Drinkability-go for it, it'll get you drunk so just drink it quick and don't expect to enjoy it

Overall-while this may be the "standard" for malt liquors as i have heard (what a bloody joke) Olde English is the same as any other malt liquor, i.e. its ghastly. Thanks to Pete for the can but for the rest of you, if this is your thing go with Colt 45.

In my opinion, this is the best cheap malt liquor out there. It's strong, better tasting and easier to drink than King Cobra or St. Ides and it certainly does the trick. There isn't much to say about it. It's not a beer that you pour into a nice glass or savor or anything like that, rather it's a classic swiller that gets you drunk and gives you giant "beer balls". I feel like I could knock out Tyson right now. Bring it on!

2.21/5  rDev +1.8%

Now I know I'm losing my marbles... I just poured some 8-Ball from a 40 oz. into a pint glass. This really should be swilled directly from the bottle, preferably while standing on the corner in tha hood and keepin' your hoez in check.

In the time it took me to write the first paragraph of this review, the half-inch head completely disappeared. The appearance? I dunno, it appears to be a nasty-ass ghetto brew.

Now let me get a whiff. Oh yeah. Wow, that smells bad. I guess the astringent aroma doesn't really get a chance to escape through the tiny little opening at the top of the 40. Do yourself a favor- keep it in the bottle. Please.

This tastes like something that'll get you fucked up. C'mon folks- if you're drinking OE for the taste, you should probably be on another website. Here's one: www.40ozmaltliquor.com.

After one 40 (or hell, after one pounder), the drinkability increases tenfold.

Be sure to keep a few extras in the fridge for the next morning to wash away the shame of waking up next to something unsavory (be it a pool of vomit or a scabies-infected skank).

1.25/5  rDev -42.4%

One of the worst Malt Liquors I've ever drank. It poured a medium golden color with a small fizzy head that faded as soon as it came. The smell was of a nasty sourness and grain. The taste was way too sweet and nasty. This is a cheepy that I will never be picking up again. The High Gravity version is much better in compairison.

3.72/5  rDev +71.4%

Preface: We are supposed to review within a given style. With that in mind...

About 2 years ago, I went through a phase where I drank 40s of malt liquor exclusively. During that period, I had many different kinds of 40. In fact www.40ozmaltliquor.com was my favorite page before I found this one. But I digress.

As far as 40s go, it doesn't get much better than this. This is the standard by which all others are judged. I can truely say that this doesn't actually taste "bad". It is very smooth with a solid malt backing. There is a slight bitterness, but it doesn't taste like it is caused by hops. Overall, there is just nothing like swilling down a 40 of OE and listening to some ATCQ.

1.83/5  rDev -15.7%

Served in a lovely 40 oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The color is straw golden, with a head that very quickly dissipated. The smell is an awful adjunct-laden sickly sweetness. The taste is an off malt and adjunct sweetness with a lot of adjunct taste, with an alcohol that definitely kicks in. Mouthfeel is average (for what it's worth). As for drinkability, I didn't really want this one, so why the hell would I want another?

Well, I only bought this in order to compare it to Dogfish Head's Liqueur de Malt, and since I was lucky enough to have a sample of that at Penn, I figured I'd see how it measures up. Well, DFH measures up pretty damn well. I only have the pint glass and it's already rather difficult to finish off...couldn't imagine finishing off an entire 40 (poured a sample for the bro, and gave the rest "to our dead homies"). I can say this has motivated me, since it will drive me to never want to be poor enough to have to drink this ever again!

2.74/5  rDev +26.3%

OK, I went into this expecting utter garbage. What I found was a surprisingly drinkable beer with an innofensive flavor and a decent punch. Lets be honest, this beer is meant to do one thing...get you f'd up. Mission accomplished. There is no hop flavor, but a slightly grainy malt flavor. There are the usual corn/rice/other crap flavors, but the fact is the beer does its job. If you are brown bagging it OE is the way to go.

2.23/5  rDev +2.8%

Decided to try this Old English 800 after some Colt 45 so I could compare the two malt liquors. THe O.E. tastes just a little bit worse than the Colt, but there isn't enough of a difference to really recommend one over the other. The appearance and smell are mediocre, but not as bad as some seem to think. THe O.E. is still very easy to drink, but nothing I'd go out of my way to have. Between this and Colt 45, I'd choose 45 by a hair.

2.4/5  rDev +10.6%

Color, deep yellow, like morning pee, but very visible carbonation.

smell - like cheap champagne, but with the faintest whiff of hops/bitterness.

taste - not terriby offensive, dirty bitter peach tone.

aftertaste - since it's sweet, we are left with a candied beer flavor

mouthfeel - easily forgettable body.

drinkability, it isn't offensive, so i could drink a good bit of it; but do i want to.

1.84/5  rDev -15.2%

Halfway through an Olde "E" 40, I am trying to put my finger on just what it is that makes Olde English 800 the finest 40 oz. malt liquor beverage on the market today. the king so to speak. I think the characteristics of old "e" that define it's supremacy are it's appearance, it's swillability, it's style, and it's price.

Olde English is some cheap booze. staight up. as a poor college student who loves to drink, old e is in my price range. tonight, my olde e clocked in at under 300 cents. but so many other 40 oz. brews out there, if not all of them, fall into the price range of olde e...so it must be old e's swillability that seperates it from the rest of the pack, right?

olde e's superior swillability is defined by the burst of corn and plantains that hit your tongue the instant the swill that is olde e enters your mouth. it's the kind of taste that sticks to the roof of your mouth. it is an unpleasant taste, like all other 40's, but it is tolerable and unintrusive. despite the fact that olde e is some strong shit, it's easy to put this stuff down. olde e's unique grainy, corn taste that goes down without a fight is just half of the reason why this 40 is the king of all 40s....olde e is staight pimp juice. big time style points must be awarded here

nobody in there right mind buys a 40 because of taste, the taste between 40's is not all that drastic. with this in mind, let us all admit that style plays a role when picking out a 40. the first thing that must be said about the styling of the old e 40 is the fact that it tells you 3 frickin times that it's a 40 ounce beverage. 3 times....thats right. it's gold and maroon color scheme lets people know your not only a cheap drunk, but a cheap drunk with an excellent sense of taste.

so as i finish this corn-ridden 8-ball, i propose a toast to the finest 40 ounce beverage on the market. it's the attitude adjuster. long live olde E

1.38/5  rDev -36.4%

I've just had a couple of lambic brews in a row, and it occurred to me what a fool I am, for I haven't seen anyone wearing any trucker hats with the Lindemans logo on it, or seen any cool hipster struttin' down the avenue in a Hanssen's hoodie...though, I have seen both of those done with OE 800 gear! I'll never be fly being a Belgian beer guy, I can only get fresh if I'm down with the malt likka crew, right? ...right?
Well, let's see if I can do it. Got the 40, but it's not in a bag, so I lose points, and I'm going to pour it into a glass, so now I'm really screwed...Anyway...crackle goes the crown, color's the pale yellow that matches faded urine, I know it's cliched to say, but it's also true as it gets, with a big, puffy bone-white head that collapses assuredly down...nice while it lasts, though.
Aroma: soft and spare, cushy, grainy, slightly citric and strawish, nothing horrible, but nothing, nonetheless.
Taste: water. Grain-inflected water, slightly sweet, but, barely anything, with a cereal grit in the mouthfeel, if it can claim any at all. There are traces of malt in the taste, minor at best, and nothing else, this is a shadow of a beer, a whisper, a phantom, but one that has a trick up it's sleeve, like all the best of this variety. Oh, yeah, no bothersome flavor, but extra-boozy, that's why they drink this ...and only a few tastes in, I can feel the hurt and the headache beginning to gather forces on my mind, and I wonder whether this exercise in masochistic research is worth it at all (the bottle was a gift, as a joke, and the punchline arrived as soon as I announced I was drinking it), and I'm sure it's not...Time to send this swill down the drain and save my brain. There's a nice doppelbock calling my name, once I wash the taste of this garbage from my mouth.

2.63/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear light gold color.

Smell is a bananas and corn smell, with an alcohol scent.

Taste is sweet with lots of corn in the taste, not real good, but not real bad either. The can is superior to the clear glass bottle version. Has an alcohol flavor.

Mouthfeel is actually thickish.

Drinkability? This stuff was the lowest of the low back when I was in College. It isn't great but even swill like this beats the regular macro stuff.

Appearance – This one poured a nice, slightly hazy yellow with some decent head retention. Not bad.

Smell – The aroma isn’t bad. The grain is not as harsh as in most other macro efforts, and there’s actually a bit of hops in there somewhere.

Taste – Oh, this is bad. Much worse than it smelled. The little bit of smoothness from the nose is completely gone, and the cheap sweetness is repulsive.

Mouthfeel – A little bigger than light-bodied but fairly flat and not dry at all.

Sinkability – No wonder folks are shootin’ up the hood. I’d be getting’ my gat too if I had to walk around with a 40 of this in my hand all day.

Comments – The ABV has when up almost one and a half points from when this ale was added to the site (it’s now at 7.5%). I guess the quicker you go numb the easier this is to drink.

1.54/5  rDev -29%

Ok it had been years since I had this. It was what i drank when I first came to America and lived in a crappy part of metro-Atlanta called Hapeville..in a roach infested condo. Me and the wife had no money so the $5 i was allowed to spend on beer went on "40s" of this.
This time bought in the 24 oz can.
Poured into my pint glass ( weird eh?Malt liquor in a glass)..its actually not bad looking for a Malt Liquor..nice goldens with a large pure white head..leaves some lacing.
Things go drastically downhill with the "aroma"..stench more like it!,,horrible chemical like..the malts seem sick.
The taste ,even as chilled as I have this is mostly faintlly malty then horrible astringent at the end..I can only imagine this will get even more revolting as it warms.
KInd a rough mouthfeel.
Man Im happy I dont have to live in a roach condominium and drink this any more..at least though its better than Camo.

1.75/5  rDev -19.4%

I drank it straight from the 40 oz. bullet bottle. Dark yellow color, that has a sizable white head, evn in the bottle. Taste is very sweet and full of adjunct flavor. Some presence of alcohol, but not that much. With most beer in this price and ABV range, this stuff is meant to give you a cheap buzz. It does that, but it doesn't taste good.

1.65/5  rDev -24%

Drinking OE isn't the best experience in the world. A very skunky smelling and tasting beer. The only plus side to this is that you will get drunker quicker, but lets face it is that all that fun? Anyway when I was in high school I drank these constantly so recently I went back for a test taste. OE comes in a 40 oz bottle with a red and gold label. Beer is piss type yellow with no head. You do not want this beer in your mouth for long. The quicker it is in your throat the better. The only time to drink this is if you only have 2 bucks and you have a party to go to.

2.51/5  rDev +15.7%

I bought this the only way this should be bought; in a 40 ounce. I went back to kick it in the crib and that's where I think I made my first mistake. I poured it into a glass (and half on the floor for my homies). It poured a straw yellow color With a foamy head that had little lasting power. About a minute or so. It had a stench of gross to it. A little bit of a grainy corn smell and a bit of a skunky smell. It was hard to tell which was stronger. The taste was semi bitter with the grainy thing going on again. The skunk was still there too, though not as strong. Even though it's clear that this isn't my favorite beer, I would drink it again. For my biatches.

2.36/5  rDev +8.8%

Olde English 800: the malt liquor of many names (the 8-Ball, Ol' E, Ghetto Juice, etc). I've had some pretty nasty malt liquors before, and surprisingly this particular one isn't decisively nasty in my opinion. OE800 has those cheap malt liquor qualities about it, but in the end I actually was able to down the stuff without going into convulsions.

OE pours a moderate golden color with a decent foamy white head that lasts for about 35 seconds. The smell is the typical cheap smell: slightly sweet, with some light corn/graininess and a light soapiness. The mouthfeel was thin and fizzy. This particular malt liquor was on the sweeter side, probably due to the corn adjuncts which are detectable. Not a truly horrible flavor, as the fusel/jet fuel flavors prevalent in so many malt liquors is in low amounts here. There is a cheap soapy flavor here with some generic alcohol flavors too. Finish has some bitterness, although I doubt hops could be attributed to it. There is a graininess in the finish, and the continuing alcohol flavors add a moderate dryness as well. There is a moderate alcoholic warmth present in this malt liquor.

This isn't truly atrocious (I thought Silver Thunder and Country Club neared those limits). OE800 seems to be a popular "ghetto mixer" as well. For example, while the "Brass Monkey" is the most popular variant (OE and orange juice), a co-worker of mine has mentioned the combination of OE and sloe gin. Anyways, this is a cheap beer that only exists only for those who want to get plastered. What you do with it after you buy it is your choice, but I won't be choosing to make this a regular habit anytime soon, even if it is somewhat drinkable.

1.81/5  rDev -16.6%

Pours a transparent yellow, apple-juicy color with a vigorous white head that fades quickly (yes, I am actually pouring this into a glass...). Little to no carbonation. Smell is... whew. Big alcohol sting and little else except vague sensation of acidic chemicals, and maybe notes of adjuncty sweetness that's saccharine and foul, like those awful, artificial sugar substitutes (Nutrasweet, Sweet-N-Low). Less alcohol noticeable in the taste, taking a back seat to more artificial sweetness; slightly tart in the back palate but finishing with a twang of plastic (so help me god, plastic). Mouthfeel isn't that bad for a 40. Since this is easy to drink fast when cold, I originally gave drinkability a 2.5... half an hour later, when my gut felt like it had turned into a ball of rock, I changed my mind. This brew has its moments and out of college-day nostalgia (sittin on the curb and swillin out of a paper bag), I tried cutting it some slack on the scores, but still... O.E. be some nasty isht.

2.3/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Did not care for taste worth the buzz.But I drink beer for thirst and flavor and most important quality.This beer tasted in between a coors light and a tecate. Would not buy again.Ill stick with guinesses and redneck side of my blood which means coors or keystone light.STAY AWAY FROM THIS BEER.EBONICS DONTS MISSA ROUND WITH THIS SHIT

1.76/5  rDev -18.9%

English my @ss, I see that "made in Milwaukee" on the side....

Ahh yes, Olde English. The pack of this I just bought shattered all previous records for cheap beer, coming in at 1.32, for four pints of this stuff. And really, that's about what it's worth.

Slightly less nauseating than many other malt liquors out there, but at heart it still remains and cheap, lousy tasting way to get drunk. The side says "Union made," which I suppose is supposed to appeal to my unionist sympathies, but instead just reminds me that beer shouldn't be mass produced in quantities which would require union production.

Really, if I wanted to drink something that tasted like liquid corn, I'd...wait...why would I ever want to drink liquid corn? Feel free to avoid this one.

1.63/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

One dollar and ten cents for the 22 oz. bottle.

Saw no need to pour this one into a glass -- after all, most of those who drink this libation do so from the bottle, and so will I. Shows very bright yellow through the bottle though.

Smell is strong ethyl alcohol, creamed corn, and corn syrup.

Taste, is much the same. Alcohol hides well though (I suppose), but only because the taste is nauseatingly sweet and sugary, and a bit oily. This, of course, is because the primary fermented material is corn syrup, and not malt.

I don't think a hop ever got within 500 feet of the brew tank.

Carbonation is high, but it becomes this beer's only saving grace, as it keeps the sweetness from being completely overpowering.

Drink this as cold as you can. It gets nasty the warmer it gets. I must say though, after I drank this, my stomach was mad at me for quite a bit.

1.94/5  rDev -10.6%

Drinkable....at least to me....pours a golden color with a white head that laces the glas impressively....nose is weak and corny....body is medium and nicely carbonated...it almost has to be to keep this from becoming oversweet...flavor is your basic cooked corn and some vodka like alcohol on the finish...not great stuff but I could drink it if I was hanging in the hood or something with my boyz..

Overall, I don't think I would purchase this one when looking for a malt liquor but my "flashback" tour of the malt liqours of my younger days is barely getting started...I give colt 45 a slight edge on this one...very slight though..

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.