Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Olde English 800 | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
awful
awful
Read the review

Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Malt Liquor

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Reviews: 297 | Ratings: 1,003
3.1/5  rDev +42.2%

I have drank a lot of Olde English. I have drank a lot of beer and liquor. I have drank around 300 different beer brands and 100 hard liquor brands. I like to drink and I hope I can do something more constructive... Well for now I might go get one of these bad boys after finishing this review.

Olde English 800 is your average tasting 40 oz that you buy because its 2 dollars and you grab one and drink it and paint the house.

Everything about it is okay. From the color to the taste its neither good nor bad.

3.81/5  rDev +74.8%

Beer is yellow in color. Smells like rancid corn. Taste of corn with some sweetness. Light body not too watery.
This is one of my favorite malt liquors its up there with Magnum and Colt 45.

2.78/5  rDev +27.5%

As a malt liquor, this beer has a corn stink; across all beers, this could be undesirable, but is the best smelling malt liquor I know of.
Unfortunately, if the beer isn't cold enough it can be hard to swallow, but ice cold? This beer is definitely drinkable.

The mouthfeel of OE 800 is good and thick; I could never imagine drinking this beer out of anything other than a big 40oz bottle--if it were even in a cup, I probably wouldn't be able to stand the stench.

Still, high alcohol content and low price makes it an excellent party beer.

1.33/5  rDev -39%

If you hate yourself...

Let's get straight to it- this is terrible stuff. Opening up the clear bottle the force carbonation dissipates quickly. The smell is acrid and nauseating, of corn and carrots(?)

Taste is a weak and anemic malt- like high-fructose corn syrup beer-soda and then a vomit-inducing amount of alcohol. That is the flavor. Sweet then alcohol.

I would only recommend this stuff if (a) your wife left you or (b) you lost your job and either way just need something to kill the pain and not cost a lot.

4.35/5  rDev +99.5%

I'd say this is by far the easiest malt liquor I've drank. Smooth, good taste, and cheap. Not at all like 211 and for some reason I was never keen on trying this particular malt until my friends got me to try it. Glad I did. Definitely plan on getting it more often.

3.03/5  rDev +39%

It is what you should expect from malt liquor.
For an interesting twist, try it warmed sometime, and I do not mean room temp. An acquaintance offered a sample of his preferred style of consumption which was to leave the bottle sitting out in the warm summer sun for a couple of hours. I have to say that it does mellow the flavor making it strangely palatable.

1.76/5  rDev -19.3%

Old E , what a classic party beer from Miller Brewery. Havint drinked this stuff for about 3 years but I can still recall all the facts about it

Fat 40oz beer , with a golden/pee appearance isnt the best looking better but thats not what its known for.

Smell almost exactly like miller highlife, dull/pee smell that is standable somedays.

Taste is alright only after you have down a couple of bottles. Mouthfeel is really bad I dont think I could bare to taste this again for awhile.

Drinkability on the other hand is the best part, if you can ignore the smell and taste then you sure have found your beer. Probably around $2.?? for a fat 40 oz. So if your cheap then you'll dig this brew for sure.

1.8/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Its been sittin in the garage for 3 months. I got no other beers save a couple bottles of a porter, that I want to save. How about a review? I havent bought Old E for actually drinking since the mid 90's. Lets go.

Poured from a 40, into a lager mug. Gold, nice head, leaving nice lacing on the mugs sides.

Aroma, dry, metallic, heavy "beery" smell. Not bad actually. Deja vu, not good.

Dry, metal, like chewing on a dry stalk of wheat, then sucking on a quarter. I got a bad feeling, and I think I will stop now.

No wonder when most of my guys back in the days were drinking this, or St. Ides, I stuck to my bottles of Riunite Lambrusco.

2.21/5  rDev +1.4%

Now I know I'm losing my marbles... I just poured some 8-Ball from a 40 oz. into a pint glass. This really should be swilled directly from the bottle, preferably while standing on the corner in tha hood and keepin' your hoez in check.

In the time it took me to write the first paragraph of this review, the half-inch head completely disappeared. The appearance? I dunno, it appears to be a nasty-ass ghetto brew.

Now let me get a whiff. Oh yeah. Wow, that smells bad. I guess the astringent aroma doesn't really get a chance to escape through the tiny little opening at the top of the 40. Do yourself a favor- keep it in the bottle. Please.

This tastes like something that'll get you fucked up. C'mon folks- if you're drinking OE for the taste, you should probably be on another website. Here's one: www.40ozmaltliquor.com.

After one 40 (or hell, after one pounder), the drinkability increases tenfold.

Be sure to keep a few extras in the fridge for the next morning to wash away the shame of waking up next to something unsavory (be it a pool of vomit or a scabies-infected skank).

Cheers!

1.84/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

My first Malt Liquor. Not knowing better I have consumed a lot of these. Looks a little dark but smells like a wet animal. Tastes too heavy on alcohol even though it stands at 5.90%. Feels heavy on the carbonation. If you need a Malt Liquor I would suggest others but I suppose we all have to try things at least once.

1.66/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This one is the Canadian 8% version.

golden straw color with medium carbonation. The head is off white tight one finger head

smell- It has a really sweet alcoholic smell and thats about it.

taste- Same as the taste its really sweet and alcoholic. pretty bad if you ask me.

mouthfeel- its a medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation

overall- What can you really say about this beer? Its pretty gross. If you want to get drunk for cheap then buy a olde English 800 thats all its good for.

2.12/5  rDev -2.8%

Yeah, some bad beer right here, always a fun oen to slam a forty of
poured into a wine glass (as a joke) then slammed straight of the bottle
appearance was as expected, yellow piss color with an oily head, gross looking overall
smells like corn and alcohol. No complexity
Tastes exactly the same, except more alcohol and very watery. Just plain bad. Drink it extremely cold and quickly. Metallic gross aftertaste. Funn stuff.
feels like garbage in yoru mouth, oily and gross. Drinkability is low because of alcohol content and bad taste

a milt liquor for 350 (recently upped from 1.99, which was always on the bottle... now no price is listed, wonder what happened?) for a 40 oz, gets you drunk. The only point to it.

3.2/5  rDev +46.8%

I bought several 40's of this a few years back in the middle of the summer.

A- Looks like regular beer, very clear.

S- smells pretty strong

T- I actually dont shotgun 40's so I kept this in the freezer while I poured mug after mug of this. Tastes pretty good ice cold. KEYWORD, ICE COLD.

M- Mouthfeel is normal, with carbonation. then again, I dont swish it around in my mouth.

D- This is my 2nd favorite malt liquor it gets you pretty trashed and is better than a lot of them out there.

3.14/5  rDev +44%

As anyone else who enjoys malt liquors will tell you, this beer is not the kind meant for savoring. It is designed solely for getting hammered, however I do believe there are some redeeming characteristics for this "king of malt liquors" as Miller likes to claim. An easy drinking malt liquor with a palatable taste. I will say, however that the only positive about the aroma is that it is easily recognizable that it will get you messed up something quick. I did follow some suggestions of regular "malt advocates" and the consensus is they all look like piss so forget about it, the can however is a piece of nostalgic beauty, so it gets and average on this handle. I honestly believe that even though the taste is not pleasant, it is definately drinkable and therefore deserves a decent rating in both taste and mouthfeel. God forgive me for drinking this sh** and liking it. Long live IPA!

1.75/5  rDev -19.7%

Nasty bottom of the barrel higher alcohol content beer. Very harsh after taste and very malty taste. Had this in my very early (under aged drinking) days, and haven't had it since. This is truly not worth any amount of $.

2.83/5  rDev +29.8%

I drank this poured into an old-fashioned size glass from a can.

Appearance:
Nothing remarkable, a pale golden yellow, with a head that dissipates rapidly and does not leave much lacing.

Smell:
Barely detectable, slightly grainy and smoky.

Taste:
Unremarkable. A bitter, hoppy start, which the colour doesn't suggest, and an understated grainy finish, which is slightly sweet. As I prefer lighter beers, this doesn't really appeal to me, but I could see others with different tastes enjoying it.

Drinkability:
I could see myself drinking this in large quantities if there was nothing else available. It isn't awful, but overall not impressive. I would not seek it out, but I would accept it if offered.

3.08/5  rDev +41.3%

People are reviewing this like it's supposed to be a high quality craft micro-brew! STOP! It's malt liquor! Take it for what it's worth...

A side by side comparison of this to any other style of beer is rediculous....Malt liquor is in a class by itself, and should be reviewed for what it is, not what a well versed beer taster with an exceptional palate thinks a good beer should taste like...that being said:

Serving type: Consumed directly from a 40 ounce, clear bottle. I knew it was a"40 oz." because it stated that fact at least 3 times, in BIG font on the label!

A - Thick & yellow. Don't know about the head & lacing...pulled this one straight outta the 40oz. bottle.

S - Earthy like if you took wet corn husks and smelled them.

T - corn and sweet malt. Suprisingly clean finish compared to other Malt Liquors.

M - Very thin and watery when cold, thickens up and tastes like hay or wet grass as it warms. (that's why a 40oz. needs to be chugged!)

D - Smooth and tasty and tolerable as long as it's cold! It's engineered for a quick, cheap buzz...not to win medals! But in the "catch a good buzz on a budget" category....it deserves a Gold Medal!!!

2.94/5  rDev +34.9%

Served out of a 40oz.

A- Brillianty clear, no head retention, dehydrated piss yellow color

S- Pilsner like noble hops aroma with a corn sweetness, also skunky smell. Smells like Indiananpolis 500 beer.

T- Highly carbonated, clean, dry, balanced with a corn sweetness.

M- Light bodied, dry, no creaminess

D- Very drinkable on a hot summer day at the Indy 500, in a canoe, on a pontoon, with your neighbor's 40 year old wife, ....you could play Edward 40-hands with this one.

3.63/5  rDev +66.5%

Appearance: looks like room temperature piss

Smell: Smells like oily greasy sidewalk

Taste: tastes like ghetto juice

Mouthfeel: feels like grits

Drinkability: After you chug one down, you always have room for another!

Don't take my review the wrong way, "Old Gold" is a traditional part of my beer drinking life. I have consumed more of these 40's than probably any other beer on the planet. For a price tag under 2.50 this is a no brainer. Party at my house, bring some OE

4.26/5  rDev +95.4%

Damn, I drank the ice cold Westcoast (7.5% ABV) version and it felt great. I was happy that a friend of mine brought me a bottle from his US trip. In Germany I havent seen those 40 ounce bottles except in some well-known hip-hop movies :) I was happy to enjoy this swill. It had no bad aftertaste at all and the 7.5% ABV were well hidden. I wish in Europe we could buy those 40s in supermarkets but I think that will never happen. Y'all americans should be proud of your malt liquors and this brew is the king of them!

2.31/5  rDev +6%

Easy to drink malt beer. Tastes, smells, and looks like corn. I personally enjoy malt liquor but to the normal beer fan this beer will probably be too sweet. I gave it a 3 on the drinkability scale because it can be found everywhere. Also kind of funky aftertaste like spoilt beer. I would stick with better malt liquors but this one isn't too bad.

2.66/5  rDev +22%

Let me say how excited I am to drink this beer. I bought it from the most hood corner store that I could find to ensure optimum freshness. Stamped with AUG2211 on bottle.

Served in a tulip glass, then straight out of the 40 bottle.

A. If I could make a beer this clear, I would be ecstatic. Light yellow with a constant stream of bubbles. More head than I would have expected, disspiates quickly leaving a thin "puck" on the surface of the brew. I appreciate the fine taper that they put on the top of the bottle to accommodate drinking straight from the bottle. They really thought of everything here.

S. Smells like cheap lager. Smells grainy/husky and maybe a little like corn; it smells sweet. I swear there's some kind of noble hop character in the background as well.

T. Very, very sweet. Finishes with a strong corn and husky grain flavor. More flavor than I expected really.

M. Extremely light bodied and very high carbonation. It's not as high as something like Orval, though.

D. If you can drink 40 oz of it, then it's very drinkable.

For my first 40, I'm very impressed. This is the stuff of legend, and has a long heritage of rappers who have consumed it. I can now proudly count myself among their ranks.

2.85/5  rDev +30.7%

"OE" is up there with CAMO, although I believe CAMO might be a little easier to handle. Olde English is my good luck before a show beer. Whenever my band gets to the venue I find the nearest ligour store and get one before we actually go on. Everything about this cheap malt liqour is fairly average.

It's really used just for a cheap way to get drunk, not too hard to drink, not too hard to finish.

P.S. check us out
myspace.com/passaicrock

1.16/5  rDev -46.8%

A- Kind of a dirty brown-amber color.

S- Smells like skunky yeast.

T- I only tasted this stuff because it was gaming nite and one of my buddies bought some. I figured what the hell, why not try some? It was pretty bad, it tasted like coors light with stale french fries in it.

D- It is not smooth at all, you gotta force this stuff down.

2.06/5  rDev -5.5%

2013 Olde English “800” - Reviewed 2/12/2013

"Michael Hagan's idea of a good time is to guzzle a few bottles of Olde English "800" Malt Liquor and smoke PCP with his fellow gang members in the slums of south central Los Angeles. There is no telling what might happen."
-"Life and Death with the Gangs" Time Magazine, August 1987

Appearance:
Olde English is poured tonight into a fluted crystal glass to best harness the carbonation and divert the aroma upwards. This does great things for the presentation of the malt liquor. The bubbles caress the sides of the glass and invite the drinker to partake in its refreshment.

Smell:
Olde "800" stank like the back alley in funky north Philly where I once bought some black market copper pipe fittings. It stings the nostrils with hints of sex-panther and moldy soap. After careful consideration, I have determined that this is possibly the worst smelling 40 that we have ever tasted, but honestly when was the last time that anyone smelled something they tasted?

Taste:
What is it that gives Olde English "800" its signature flavour? Is it the mysterious tang that accompanies the carbonation? Is it the back-sweetened corn malt? Is it the extra "e" in the word "Olde"? Does it bother you that I am spelling "flavour" like an englishman? All questions that come to mind when tasting the quixotic liquor.

Mouthfeel:
I've run out of ways to describe how beer feels on the tongue. It feels like beer.

Overall:
The aire of mystery that surrounds the 40 is palpable (or maybe its just the weird after taste). The sarcastic quotation marks that surround the "800" taunt the drinker. A true connoisseur will know that this is indeed what olde england would have enjoyed. Olde English "800" pairs well with traditional Bangers n' Mash, or even a mouthful of dirt with a side of monty python if real english fare is unavailable. This malt liquor is as dry as British humor, and as inviting as an Oxford boarding school. I will definitely be enjoying the 40 maybe eventually sometime in the future. Enjoy.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.