Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 908 | Reviews: 301

2.25/5  rDev +10.8%

2.75/5  rDev +35.5%

1.24/5  rDev -38.9%

Appearance: Actually, not that bad. Bright golden sunflower color with a creamy white head. Poor retention, wispy lacing.

Smell: Ugh. Cooked peas, corn, and broccoli (DMS?), and that's about it. What a disquieting aroma.

Taste: Sweet corn, honey, and bile. This is truly offensive. I just wish I could enter something less than 1 for this field.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, I suppose. Not too fizzy and fairly clean.

Drinkability: Thank god I only paid a buck fifty for this. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it.

2.48/5  rDev +22.2%

Tasted On: 01-11-2013
Freshness: Best by 03-25-2013
Packaging: 24 oz. can
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: Single from Daily's Market

Finally getting around to reviewing a malt liquor!

A: Pours with a tight head of 2 fingers. The beer is clear and a bright golden color. Lacing is low with a fair amount of head retention.

S: Aromas are of sweet, light malts, plus hay and some light, grassy hop notes. Overall not a lot of aroma, however.

T: Hmm, not too much in the way of taste -- some sweet, light grains is about it. No bitterness to speak of. It's not offensive, but its not flavorful either.

M: Thin body with a high carbonation content. Not really any aftertaste.

O: So this wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I've had some beers I couldn't finish, but this one wasn't horrible tasting and I could drink it. It just didn't have much taste to speak of.

I'm working off of memory on this one; I can't guarantee that I'll actually drink this again, but if I did it would purely be for the sake of deliberate beer advocacy.
I tried this as a teenager and gagged then.
My taste buds and appreciation for tastes have developed since then and I can only imagine wanting to rate this all zero's.
Urine is all that comes to mind with this "brew".
Well, headache and hangover also come to mind.
Avoid, avoid AVOID!
Please!

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

1.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Served in a lovely 40 oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The color is straw golden, with a head that very quickly dissipated. The smell is an awful adjunct-laden sickly sweetness. The taste is an off malt and adjunct sweetness with a lot of adjunct taste, with an alcohol that definitely kicks in. Mouthfeel is average (for what it's worth). As for drinkability, I didn't really want this one, so why the hell would I want another?

Well, I only bought this in order to compare it to Dogfish Head's Liqueur de Malt, and since I was lucky enough to have a sample of that at Penn, I figured I'd see how it measures up. Well, DFH measures up pretty damn well. I only have the pint glass and it's already rather difficult to finish off...couldn't imagine finishing off an entire 40 (poured a sample for the bro, and gave the rest "to our dead homies"). I can say this has motivated me, since it will drive me to never want to be poor enough to have to drink this ever again!

1.8/5  rDev -11.3%

I have been told that this brew will give you "rhythm and soul." This may or may not be true, but as far as foties go, this one is in the mid range. Clear bottle, piss yellow substance. Taste and smell cause you to make some funny faces. There are sicker foties on the market, but perhaps there are better ones as well. If you are really looking for this type of beer, it isnt the worst; if you think you are buying the next great beer, think again

2.13/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours to a thin white head that goes away quickly. Color is yellow-gold with some floaties. Aroma is very weak and grainy. Flavor is sweet, corny and not very special. Drinks easy for 7%abv. Finishes sweet. I've had much worse malt liquors. Not terrible, but not very satisfying.

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

1.8/5  rDev -11.3%

This is the worst malt liquor out there. Why anyone would want to drink any of this crap is beyond me, let alone 40 ounces of pure OE piss. If you really want to get hammered (you must if you are considering this) then go get St. Ides or a Steel. Both have more alcohol and taste better. This stuff blows.

1.5/5  rDev -26.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.