Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
Ratings: 934 | Reviews: 314
2.5/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

By far...my favorite malt liquor!!!!

No reason to drink this beer - now nor then.

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

O the good ol days of drinking these on the train. still awful

2.62/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This was never a first choice when we were scoring beer from an adult. The one time we did get this, was due to the wino who pimped for us. It was nasty, but it got the job done.

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

Nasty bottom of the barrel higher alcohol content beer. Very harsh after taste and very malty taste. Had this in my very early (under aged drinking) days, and haven't had it since. This is truly not worth any amount of $.

Another classic American Malt Liquor. Corn and malt sweetness, slight bitterness in the finish. Nothing fancy, just an easy drinker.

2.06/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours piss yellow and quite sweet. One bottle of this stuff is enough to mess you up.

The original Ghetto Juice! The ONLY (beer)? That I've ever poured down the sink after two tastes. Repulsive.

3.07/5  rDev +51.2%
look: 5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Gets you fucked up and doesnt taste too bad

1.14/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Some people like it but I think it is God awful. Who knows what is all in it and it tastes like play-doh. Count me out. There's a lot of other better cheap crap out there.

1.48/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Gross beer, Edward 40 hands that is all.

If there were negative ratings I would choose them.

3.5/5  rDev +72.4%

It's mouth-friendly, and the wide bottle is easy to hang onto when everything else is slipping.

3.25/5  rDev +60.1%

A- Just looked like a mass produced American style lager when poured into a mug. Thick white head that shriveled up to nothing. It was very clear and golden with lots of bubbles.

S- Wet corn husks and very sweet barley malts.

T- Same as scent basically. Sweet corn husks and barley malts. There is a prominent grainy flavor. No alcohol taste was detected. Very, and I mean very, light hop oil taste was there. Virtually no hops were noticeable. It just reminds me of a sweeter High Life really. Pleasant as far as malt liquor is concerned.

M- Mouthfeel here is medium, but it's still pretty mild as far as American lagers are concerned. There is a bit of a corn syrup thickness. It is thicker and richer than a Miller High Life for sure. The drinkability is extremely high on this beer. This and private stock are the most palate friendly malt liquors I've ever had.

*I'm looking at this beer as a malt liquor and a American style lager only. If I'm looking at in that category, it's a good beer. Like I said in the mouthfeel, Private Stock and this are the best malt liquors I've ever had. Private Stock was my all time favorite malt liquor. But there is nothing wrong with this beer as a malt liquor. And at the price this beer is at, it's a winner. Don't knock Olde English 800 till you've tried it for yourself.

2.75/5  rDev +35.5%

We used to pay crackheads in Trenton 2 dollars to buy us these. It was worth it.

1.06/5  rDev -47.8%

I have a great marriage ,I love my wife, but if I didn't I would drink this to be able to die sooner

2.35/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. Olde E -- the drink of distinction! I'll confess the last time I had Olde E was more than 10 years ago and I was probably underage at the time. Clearly, it made an impression on me back then.

Appearance: medium gold with no haze and a moderate effervescence, just like a lot of these malt liquors. Head poured a finger of fizzy white foam but, I'm amazed to say, it didn't dissipate instantly. Head stuck around at least twice as long as other malt liquors (so, you know, 30 seconds).

Smell: sweet malt aroma but not as plasticy as some; it's both lower in intensity and a little bit deeper than a lot of malt liquors. Not awful for the style.

Taste: sweetish malt, again with a certain deepness. I can't say that I'm a fan, exactly, but this is not terrible as malt liquors go.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a light fizzy carbonation. Nothing to speak of here.

Overall: I'm hardly a malt liquor connoisseur, but for sub-$2 24oz cans of anything beer-like, you might have a hard time beating Olde E.

2.06/5  rDev +1.5%

2013 Olde English “800” - Reviewed 2/12/2013

"Michael Hagan's idea of a good time is to guzzle a few bottles of Olde English "800" Malt Liquor and smoke PCP with his fellow gang members in the slums of south central Los Angeles. There is no telling what might happen."
-"Life and Death with the Gangs" Time Magazine, August 1987

Appearance:
Olde English is poured tonight into a fluted crystal glass to best harness the carbonation and divert the aroma upwards. This does great things for the presentation of the malt liquor. The bubbles caress the sides of the glass and invite the drinker to partake in its refreshment.

Smell:
Olde "800" stank like the back alley in funky north Philly where I once bought some black market copper pipe fittings. It stings the nostrils with hints of sex-panther and moldy soap. After careful consideration, I have determined that this is possibly the worst smelling 40 that we have ever tasted, but honestly when was the last time that anyone smelled something they tasted?

Taste:
What is it that gives Olde English "800" its signature flavour? Is it the mysterious tang that accompanies the carbonation? Is it the back-sweetened corn malt? Is it the extra "e" in the word "Olde"? Does it bother you that I am spelling "flavour" like an englishman? All questions that come to mind when tasting the quixotic liquor.

Mouthfeel:
I've run out of ways to describe how beer feels on the tongue. It feels like beer.

Overall:
The aire of mystery that surrounds the 40 is palpable (or maybe its just the weird after taste). The sarcastic quotation marks that surround the "800" taunt the drinker. A true connoisseur will know that this is indeed what olde england would have enjoyed. Olde English "800" pairs well with traditional Bangers n' Mash, or even a mouthful of dirt with a side of monty python if real english fare is unavailable. This malt liquor is as dry as British humor, and as inviting as an Oxford boarding school. I will definitely be enjoying the 40 maybe eventually sometime in the future. Enjoy.

3.42/5  rDev +68.5%

Serving type plastic 40 oz bottle, with a football style grip.

Appearance, the beer is a light golden color. Just enough to obscure anything viewed through the bottle.

Smell Is Malty And Almost Metallic.

Taste follows the smell quite nicely, I do detect a subtle banana flavor like a hefe, but very light on the tail end

Smooth as can be

Overall a perfect malt beverage. If you are looking for a world class beer, stay away. No hops or sour to speak of, but for an American Malt Beverage, this is amazing and it gets better after each sip.
Not a big fan of the new plastic bottles, but I feel like it would hurt less to get hit by one of these.
Seek out the glass vintage, it seems to taste better.
Cheers,
Tikk

2.94/5  rDev +44.8%

American style Malt Liquor...not bad for a malt liquor. I bought a 4 pack of tall boys for $3.35 and after the first couple of drinks it goes down OK. Malt Liquor is not for everybody but I like it....yes it has a strong metallic....bitter taste but in some old school way that is why I like it....call me crazy...I like my OE 800 ice cold and have even used it to mix with Stout...

4.27/5  rDev +110.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm seeing so much hate about this brew. This stuff is delicious and cheap, perfect for a man on a budget. I prefer this to budweiser or any other American beer anyday. The bottle and label also looks bad ass which is major points for. I could go for 3 40's right now.

3.16/5  rDev +55.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I've seen this beer in more homeless peoples hand than any other on the ground at parks too so when i first tried it i felt i was joining some unspoken covenant of dirt poor alcoholics and it wasn't half bad a little stronger than colt 45 but 7.5 alc makes sure you feel it and feel it quick a little heavy on the stomach but tolerable classic malt smell little bit too much carbonation kind of leaves you with a thizz face if you chug it but its cheap and gets the job done

3.81/5  rDev +87.7%

(review #700 - poured into an English pint)

A: perfectly clear, light piss gold hue... chemical-scum-structured fizzy head, falls to a thin collar... actually leaves some streaks of lace, if you chug

S: cidery lager, maybe a touch cheap champagne-like... not much malt aroma to be had... extremely weak overall, however, not so much off-putting...

T: certainly has a malty base to it, with not as much of the depth of grain flavor stripped away as I might've thought... light corn syrup thread - similar to fake maple syrup (sans maple flavoring)... perhaps a faint newspapery note in the finish... touch of a metallic twang in the aftertaste...

M: fills a bit full at first, but soon washes away mildly sudsy and pretty dang dry... the delicate fusels go right to your head, giving it a slight woozy hum... light-moderate gassy-ness... mild heat flare and mucus-inducing in the backs of the nostrils, if you chug

O: first time I had this I was 16 - swilled it from the bottle like a baby, eyes all waterin'... a friend and I went with this chick he was trying to make out with over to her ex-boyfriend's house to get weed... stayed till 'round 5am, got all dizzied up, I left just as my friend and the chick started goin at it... apparently, the ex woke up and found them together on the couch - fussin' and a cussin' ensued... seemed like it took me hours to finish guzzling that shit - I can vaguely recall closing my eyes and powering the last few ounces down, face glowing red - remember it being more cloying... I guess I'm a fancy beer nerd now and, I must say, this truly ain't half bad for what it is - gotta admit, I was quaffin' away at it!

1.73/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

This beer pours somewhat well, actually, may achieve some head to the beverage but overall its a very unpleasing pale pissy yellow but what can you expect form a malt beverage.

It doesnt have that stale , predictable smell of those other low end brews but still, not my cup of tea.

The bite of the alcohol is a decent attribute aiding in a sweet, grainy flavor. Again, not what I'm looking for but noteworthy

mouthfeel is meh

overall a 1.75

3.54/5  rDev +74.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Olde English 800 brewed by Miller Brewing Co. This brew is a malt liquor and it pours out a nice golden color with a nice light white head. Olde English 800 has an ABV of 5.9%. This brew has the look and smell of most malt liquors. The smell is sweet, with grains and malts. Nothing special but nothing bad. This brew has a lot carbonation. The taste is smooth and crisp for being a malt liquor. You get a hint of sweetness, but it is not over powering. This brew goes down nice. Mouth feel is nice too, nothing bad about this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.5 out of 5. I will pick this brew up again.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.