Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
2.21/5  rDev +1.8%

I used to drink this wretched stuff in high school, it was only 3.90 a bottle now its 5.50, ahh the old days (well 7 years ago).

I poured the first half into a pint glass, wow Im a real beer geek. Its gold with orangey red flashes. It produces a big bubbly head that recedes to nothing in an instant. Thin lace patches coat the glass. The aroma is sweet malt, corn and other veggies, and strong alcohol. The taste is very sweet and boozey with a nasty cooked veggie flavor. The alcohol heat is very prominent and becomes unbearable as the beer warms. the mouthfeel is medium with an alcohol numbing sensation. The finish is sweet and overly alcoholic.

This doesnt even pretend to be a good beer, it is what it is and I dont like it. Its ironic that the only beer style with the word malt in the name has the smallest percentage of malt in it.

3.43/5  rDev +58.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Olde English is royalty amongst malt liquor 40s. Its light-amber coloration, hi-test corn-blessed constitution, and overall appeal are second to none in the malt liquor game. Enough "slummin' w. da homiez" bullshit; either drink this, or don't. No need to mock the poor in your poor attempt to cop a buzz. Olde English.. it might not boast the 'imported taste' of Private Stock, but it does have 33 crowns on the label. I counted.

2.7/5  rDev +24.4%

Pours yellow with perfect clarity. Fizzy white two and a half finger head that shows poor retention and no lacing whatsoever. The aroma is of ceral grain and apple ester, but nothing fowl. A faint grain taste is knocked aside by a huge hard cider flavor and alcoholic bite. Slightly dry aftertaste, with fusels and cider reteating comfortably. The flavor is too estery sweet even for the style and is grossly unbalanced; however- the flavor fades quickly and a medium body with medium carbonation creates a drinkability that is the strong pont of this beer. The finish is mostly clean and allows the consumer to get drunk fast for cheap, which is really the aim of this beer.

2.23/5  rDev +2.8%

Ahh the "dirty 4-0", a party classic around these parts.

Pours the standard pee yellow with a one finger bubbly white head that disipates quickly. Looks to be extremely carbonated.

Can't really detect anything in the smell, I guess grainy would be best to describe.

Tastes grainy like the smell but also bitter. Only thing good about it is that the 8%abv hides itself well. Becomes a whole lot worse as it warms

As it looks, it feels very carbonated. Definatly needs to be sipped, no big gulps.

Not impressed, but didn't expect to be. It is what it is. Maybe I'll consider this if I become homeless, but until then, I'll leave it on the store shelf where it belongs.

As a teen I drank this a few times when I had little money to spend and wanted something to "blitz" on. I can not do an unbiased review here or attempt to review it as I would do my other beers, and with that being said here goes...This is by far the worst swill you could ever think to try and consume. It smells as bad as it tastes. Avoid at all costs unless you are the verry Adventurous . Homie don't play that!!!

2.88/5  rDev +32.7%

My buddy was in a rush to get something simple from the local packy before it closed so I toldem to pick up a few good ol OE's. Decided to keep it real and drink this one straight from the 40 bottle with it still in the bag. Appearance....what can I say? Looks a lot like pee pee. Smell was of corn and other weak tasting grains that didn't do much at all for the beer. Taste had malt running amuck throughout and the alcohol was very up front. Mouthfeel was medium bodied due to excessive malt and alcohol presence. Drinkability wasn't bad until I got to the end, in which case I dumped the bottoms, which were just too harsh to quaf. Final Verdict: This isnt a good beer if yor are looking for quality...it may be okay in the world of cheap malt liquors serving only one purpose: to get you drunk quick, but it isn't anything to seek out. On the bright side, they're really cheap and if you want to get wasted without burning a whole in your wallet, just grab a couple of these. I advise playing Edward 40 Hands with this beer. Cheers

1.75/5  rDev -19.4%

A beer you would drink for only one reason, to get trashed.

A very sweet beer with a sour taste to it. Can sometimes taste the alcohal in it. Appearance wise it is a sickly yellow colour and the smell is equal to the taste. The aftertaste is a good point to it since it's smaller then most Malt Liqours.

This stands out from most malt liqours since it has a bit higher alcohal percentage giving it a better deal. But I would recommend chugging it down so you won't have to bare the taste.

2.48/5  rDev +14.3%

ah, Olde English, what can i say about you? You're the 40 to drink if you have to drink a 40, i suppose. You look terrible and you stink real bad, but after the first little taste, all hoppy and smooth, i just can't stop until i've finished. Top of the line on malt liquors, in my opinion....and in some cases i'd rather drink this than light american lagers (coors, miller, genny).

2.97/5  rDev +36.9%

This is an awesome, cheap, f**k you up-type beer.

The thing you have to remember about this beer is that it's not a beer to make you love the taste and everything. It is typical, very hoppy, and EXTREMELY smooth! Yellow, smells like alcohol and corn. Taste actually isn't bad. I've had pale ales that taste worse than this stuff. Mouthfeel is dry on the pallet after a 40 of this stuff. Drinkability is awesome since you almost don't feel it going down. For less than $2 a 40, you can't go wrong.

This is a personal favorite of mine. Sometimes you just want a crappy beer, and this is it.

1.89/5  rDev -12.9%

On my way home from work I stopped for a beer at a weird redneck bar with a co-worker. There in the cooler behind the bar was a 40 of OE. So with my choices limited to crap I went a few steps further and got me a 40 of OE. Playing pool, drink a forty that cost me $5 was a weird way to get off work. Well it is a little darker than most adjunct beers but the smells is of corn and some kind of monkey urine. It tastes like cron urine and ash. Smooth like a handful of broken glass. I would drink this again most likely the best 40 I have had.

1.76/5  rDev -18.9%

Old E , what a classic party beer from Miller Brewery. Havint drinked this stuff for about 3 years but I can still recall all the facts about it

Fat 40oz beer , with a golden/pee appearance isnt the best looking better but thats not what its known for.

Smell almost exactly like miller highlife, dull/pee smell that is standable somedays.

Taste is alright only after you have down a couple of bottles. Mouthfeel is really bad I dont think I could bare to taste this again for awhile.

Drinkability on the other hand is the best part, if you can ignore the smell and taste then you sure have found your beer. Probably around $2.?? for a fat 40 oz. So if your cheap then you'll dig this brew for sure.

So, I actually started my drinking career with better beers, and it wasn't until just recently that I had the joy and opportunity to try a malt liquor. At a halloween party, it was the only thing available.

Strong pee yellow with white head.

little to no aroma, possible alcohol.

Huge caramel malts with sweetness upfront and sweetness at the end. No trace of hops or bitterness to speak of, just sweet grain. Huge hit of rough alcohol diminishes after each sip, as you get more and more obliterated.

The fusel alcohols in this beer not only get you drunk faster, but more drunk, with more nausea. I was so ill after drinking this, never again. I'm bringing my own beer next time.

2.85/5  rDev +31.3%

Served the classic way--out of a 40oz bottle. Definitely resembles urine in both smell and appearance, with a pungently bland smell dominating the nose. Taste isn't terrible, its the kind of thing you'd get really used to after many sips, and the alcohol is such that if you want to let loose for a night, this is the way to go. Very little lingering taste or mouthfeel so it goes down easy and facilitates many more. Everyone needs a night with a beer like this, and at 2.50 the price can't be beat! (I realize there are MUCH better beers out there, but as far as malt liquor goes this is pretty good.) Enjoy!

2.62/5  rDev +20.7%

This is the normal run of the mill 40 ounce malt liquor, its got a pretty bad unrefined taste, a bit of that dirty sweetness and its rather harsh.Having said that its a 40 and the main purpose of 40s is to get you slammed when your too poor to get anything else... its swill but its still a classic among 40z.

3.71/5  rDev +71%

Appearance - Pale, clear gold. Sudsy head with some staying power. Leaves a little lacing. Good for style.

Smell - Light adjuct odor. Sweet scent with no sign of hops.

Taste - Quite sweet and quite dry. You can taste the alcohol, but its not a bad as many others. Pretty high quality if one is judging, as one is in this category, simply on inoffensiveness.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Carbonation present not overpowering.

Drinkability - Probably the best of the malt liquors. Faint praise, but praise indeed. This stuff isn't as poor as most in the category, and is actually quite unobtrusive. That is until it kicks you in the ass.

3.7/5  rDev +70.5%

This stuff sits inside the 40 ounce bottle looking coppery and dangerous. Upon cracking the top, the fizzle escapes. As the bottle is hoisted to my mouth, the carbonation bubbles whip up into a tingly fury. This looks like an average malt liquor.

The smell is rather putrid and skunky. It carries a faint sulphur and charcoal scent atop the funky malt liquor aroma of malted liquor. Burnt malt dominates. It smells about average for a malt liquor.

The taste is shockingly sweet and smooth. The neck of the bottle holds a pretty decent flavor. After a fair number of pulls from the conspicuously large container, my spit and natural mixing processes cause a drift in the flavor. It then becomes a more alcoholic and bittered liquid. You know what, this is some good malt liquor. I am one malt liquor picker. I actually would choose this over a small few micro selections that I have tested out. Small and few being the key operatives. I am rating this with the style in mind, and apart from Schlitz Blue Bull, this 8 ball is an extraordinary example of good old heavy duty American made malt liquor. When I am looking to get into the magical realm of cheap mood alteration, this mofo is the golden ticket. I feel like a high school kid again with each successive tug from the mammoth missile of glass. After I finish the corn juice in the last swallow, I have an immense feeling of accomplishment.

Mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy and thick. Stingy bubbles remain throughout the bottle adding to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is good for the style. I had no trouble sinking the 8 ball. Exercise caution after drinking 2 jugs. Things can get foggy.

1.3/5  rDev -40.1%

I have this wierd addiction to having some schwill now and again just to keep things grounded. On my way back from the hollywood bowl I needed some malt liquor so this was the pick. 40oz'er served in a brown paper bag. smelled like corn soaked in sugar and roasted on an open flame. Tasted very similair except take out the open flame. Sugar and Corn. Drink this fast as it is sewer material as it gets warm. You can tell this is a highly sugar based beer. not reccomended except when hidden in a brown paper bag.

2.23/5  rDev +2.8%

I'm not sure how long Olde English 800 has been brewed, but it seems to me that I've seen it on the shelves for decades at least. The theme for Malt Likkapalooza II is the old tried and true (this beer) vs. the brash upstart (Eagle Malt). The bottles look identical, as do the screwtops. For that matter, so does the beer within each bottle. Let's find out how they differ when the other senses are brought into play.

Clear cornmeal yellow with one line of rapidly rising bubbles in the exact center of the glass. The eggshell white head looks better and persists longer than the heads on most cheap beer. The rumpled, pitted surface eventually works its way downward and deposits a meager amount of sudsy lace in its wake.

I can't get over how even the most maligned malt liquor has a less offensive nose than a standard macro lager from BMC. Something to do with corn vs. rice as an adjunct? While it isn't a nose that deserves praise, not even a little, it isn't bad either. It's grainy and slightly musky without a trace of fruitiness or floralness.

OE 800 tastes like most malt liquors... until mid-mouthful when the flavor develops an odd, candyish sweetness that reminds me of corn syrup-soaked Wheaties. It isn't mouthfilling in intensity, the beer is much too thin for that, so even though it's mildly unpleasant, it's still drinkable (caveat: while cold).

The mouthfeel is actually closer to medium than it is to light. There's a slight viscousness (again, corn syrup comes to mind) that allows it to hold its structure throughout and not descend into wateriness. The sprightly carbonation is holding its own as well and keeps the mouthfeel from becoming as flat as the flavor.

Olde English 800 brings to mind the beautiful, pastoral English countryside of old, while The Eagle makes one think of rugged, individualistic, red-white-and-blue America. Only kidding. These are two simple bottles of beer that were brewed for one purpose and one purpose only: inebriation. OE 800 is the superior product, but I caution the reader that 'superior' is a strictly relative term.

1.95/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass, the head rises rapidly with the consistency of creamy dish washing soap suds; egg-white white. The body is pale gold and surely you can conjure up the apt metaphor here without me having to do it for you. Smell: corn flakes, wet newspaper, old and brown apple cores. Taste: puckering sweetness upfront, backed up nicely by the viscous mouthfeel (this is not a beer to drink at a temperature that is anything less than cold), pursued by a peppery hop bitterness, very slight and in the background; simple sugary malt sweetness dominates the taste. Aftertaste, some alcohol heat -- felt in the throat and gut -- and just that sweetness fading out like so much sugary apple juice. Mouthfeel: a few steps away from having the texture of loose mucous.

I'm working off of memory on this one; I can't guarantee that I'll actually drink this again, but if I did it would purely be for the sake of deliberate beer advocacy.
I tried this as a teenager and gagged then.
My taste buds and appreciation for tastes have developed since then and I can only imagine wanting to rate this all zero's.
Urine is all that comes to mind with this "brew".
Well, headache and hangover also come to mind.
Avoid, avoid AVOID!

2.08/5  rDev -4.1%

I know, I know, I should be drinking this out of a 40 oz. bottle in a paper bag, whatever. I did that when I was a young college drunk but now I'm older and I drink my OE from stemware.

Pours a medium straw yellow with a fizzy, almost white head. Nose is nutrasweet over cornflakes, with a slight metallic twang, and no detectable hop bitterness. Taste starts with faintly sweet cereal malt, with a burgeoning powdery smarties candy edge. Light cardboard throughout and minimal hop bitterness and flavor. Slightly sweet in the finish. Not poisonous, but I remember why I stopped drinking this stuff!

2.53/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a piss yellow color with very large head that fades but stays there till the beer is gone. Smell is like all the other mass produced beers out there. Taste is very bland, but the mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth. The best part of the beer actually. The aftertaste is pretty good too. This beer is so-so, but alot better than I expected for a beer in 40.

1.8/5  rDev -17.1%

I have been told that this brew will give you "rhythm and soul." This may or may not be true, but as far as foties go, this one is in the mid range. Clear bottle, piss yellow substance. Taste and smell cause you to make some funny faces. There are sicker foties on the market, but perhaps there are better ones as well. If you are really looking for this type of beer, it isnt the worst; if you think you are buying the next great beer, think again

1.92/5  rDev -11.5%

This brew doesn't deserve a full-fledged review. Olde English is simply a way to get drunk, discounted. With a case being only $22, you've got 480 oz of "premium" malt liquor, at 7.5% ABV.

It's golden-coppery, and smells of sugary grains. There's not much hop presence, only the scent of alcohol. As for taste: malty, metallic, and unabashedly alcoholic. It's tough to guzzle 40 oz of this, as it warms and tastes even worse.

Even so, I have a love for OE. I first drank it last summer, and I've had it often since. It's quite funny to chug out of such a big bottle. Pair it with fried chicken (no joke) for a really good time.

2.62/5  rDev +20.7%

I picked this up to slum it and reset my palate if you will.

Doesn't look too bad, decent head and ok lacing with a nice amber color.

Smells like crap... yuck!

Taste is wheaty... like soggy shredded wheat with a cheerio aftertaste. Just like cereal.

Goes down ok

Not ot drink really... but the 7.5% has one hell of a kick.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.