Olde English 800 | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
awful
awful
Read the review

Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Malt Liquor

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

firstprev| 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next → last
Reviews: 294 | Ratings: 994
2.3/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Did not care for taste worth the buzz.But I drink beer for thirst and flavor and most important quality.This beer tasted in between a coors light and a tecate. Would not buy again.Ill stick with guinesses and redneck side of my blood which means coors or keystone light.STAY AWAY FROM THIS BEER.EBONICS DONTS MISSA ROUND WITH THIS SHIT

1.76/5  rDev -19.3%

English my @ss, I see that "made in Milwaukee" on the side....

Ahh yes, Olde English. The pack of this I just bought shattered all previous records for cheap beer, coming in at 1.32, for four pints of this stuff. And really, that's about what it's worth.

Slightly less nauseating than many other malt liquors out there, but at heart it still remains and cheap, lousy tasting way to get drunk. The side says "Union made," which I suppose is supposed to appeal to my unionist sympathies, but instead just reminds me that beer shouldn't be mass produced in quantities which would require union production.

Really, if I wanted to drink something that tasted like liquid corn, I'd...wait...why would I ever want to drink liquid corn? Feel free to avoid this one.

1.63/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

One dollar and ten cents for the 22 oz. bottle.

Saw no need to pour this one into a glass -- after all, most of those who drink this libation do so from the bottle, and so will I. Shows very bright yellow through the bottle though.

Smell is strong ethyl alcohol, creamed corn, and corn syrup.

Taste, is much the same. Alcohol hides well though (I suppose), but only because the taste is nauseatingly sweet and sugary, and a bit oily. This, of course, is because the primary fermented material is corn syrup, and not malt.

I don't think a hop ever got within 500 feet of the brew tank.

Carbonation is high, but it becomes this beer's only saving grace, as it keeps the sweetness from being completely overpowering.

Drink this as cold as you can. It gets nasty the warmer it gets. I must say though, after I drank this, my stomach was mad at me for quite a bit.

1.94/5  rDev -11%

Drinkable....at least to me....pours a golden color with a white head that laces the glas impressively....nose is weak and corny....body is medium and nicely carbonated...it almost has to be to keep this from becoming oversweet...flavor is your basic cooked corn and some vodka like alcohol on the finish...not great stuff but I could drink it if I was hanging in the hood or something with my boyz..

Overall, I don't think I would purchase this one when looking for a malt liquor but my "flashback" tour of the malt liqours of my younger days is barely getting started...I give colt 45 a slight edge on this one...very slight though..

1.28/5  rDev -41.3%

This was on sale at the LCBO for $3.50. Since I'm also buddies with most of the people their, they sold it to me for a toonie, rather surprised I was buying low quality beer. I told them I hadn't tried it, and they accepted that as a good answer. Since this is malt liquor, I drank straight from the bottle. Can't comment much on appearance except for what I could see through the glass. Little browner than a Colt 45. When swished, some foam would appear that would soon quickly disappear. Smelled alot of corn, cheap malt and something acidic. Tasted very grainy and sweet. Hey, is this candy? It is that cloyingly sweet. Shitty mouthfeel. Too much cheap malt texture with a corn field. Drinkable for drunks and whores. Undrinkable for me.

1.88/5  rDev -13.8%

My in-laws had a 40 of this stuff in the fridge that they bought for cooking. Not having tried it in decades, I couldn't resist and poured a glass. It looks like a basic glass of beer. After that, things go downhill. The smell is grainy, corny, and a bit acidic with no real redeeming qualities. The taste is more of the same. One glass did a number on the stomach. This wasn't a pleasant experience.

1.03/5  rDev -52.8%

All 40 ounces preserved in it's classic presentation, Olde E is a legendary beer. Yeah, right this beer is ghetto swill in all it's glory. Made famous by Run DMC in eighties, this beer pours a golden similar to apple juice hue. Pours with a thick foamy head that cloys around the rim of my mug, with a decent head retention. Aroma is straight up unpleasant, all cereal grains with an astringent slightly cooked vegetable scent. From the smell you would think this stuff could take of some layers of paint from the wall. Taste is highly carbonated watery yet acoholic harsh bitter nasty ass taste. Not a slow sipper chug this and bypass the palate, this beer is for getting folded. I really can't tolerate this one but it's a favorite of my friends. So, in closing there is no question this is one shitty beer. Watch out for the hangovers this beer is known to cause, in my opinion steer clear.

2.07/5  rDev -5%

Ultra-carbonated, like soda, goldish hue, translucent, slim white head that collapsed rather fast, no lace… no trace of any existence. Grainy, husky, sweet, corny, foul nose… it is quite a deterrent. I still took a sip, sweet palate… rather odd, soothing but grainy, no hops influence. Clean, bland with only some alcohol present at the finish. The carbonation adds something to the mouthfeel, thin, indifferent. I’ve had worst malt liquors; still it is nothing I could in good conscience recommend… skip it.

22 oz. clear bottle. Purchased for $1.09.

3.1/5  rDev +42.2%

okay, where to start...
i gave this malt liquor a relatively higher score because i felt that it actually is one of the half-way decent representatives of the style -- not because i would prefer over a Duvel.

The beer has a nearly fluorescent golden straw color. It's almost blindingly golden. It's incredibly clear. There is a slight creamy head, but it dissipates really quickly.
The smell is GRAINY. That and a bit metallic.
There isn't much taste beyond the graininess, which hits hard and doesn't let up. No smoothness at all, but oh well. The alcohol presence is subdued, as is any maltiness or hopiness.
The mouthfeel is thin, incredibly thin, but that is par for the course with this style.
The drinkability is kinda high for the beer style. This brew is a lot less metallic and chemical tasting than the others. I just thought it beats out all it competitors in the macro-malt liquor class.

2.73/5  rDev +25.2%

If sublime can sing about it, it's gotta be good! At any rate, it's a good malt liquor. Has a nice light taste to it. It has a very pale yellow color to it with a white "head". Goes down easy, but can get rough a little. When I'm lookin; to save some money and drink a little, this is what I usually grab for. Sometimes though, 40oz can be a little too much. Definately a good buy if you are in college.

2.16/5  rDev -0.9%

"40 ounces to Freedom"... Pours a crystal clear golden body topped by a frothy bright white head that holds surprisingly well and drops to a creamy surface covering. It also leaves some lace in the glass which is quite unusual considering the high alcohol - although I doubt that's rarely noticed inside the 40 oz bottle! The aroma is also surprisingly bold, but with a distinct cereal-cooker aroma and a firm touch of alcohol. There is some grainy maltiness underneath, but it's overshadowed. Powerful, but not really inviting. The body is thin/medium but the high level of fine carbonation helps it to become creamy immediately, thus giving the impression of a fuller mouthfeel. The residual alcohol that's left after the swallow adds to that impression. The flavor mimics the aroma with a harsh, semi-grainy maltiness rather than the more straightforward sweet malt flavor usually found in malt liquors. The alcohol also lends to an astringent character. Hop bitterness is subdued, as is normally the case with malt liquors, except that it's more noteable here. However, it's quite dull and doesn't add anything to the character. From start to finish this beer lacks finesse. Sure it's bold, but it's also extremely blunt. Maybe that's why people like it... in a way I can see how this could be less cloying as it doesn't offer the bright, super sweet maltiness of many malt liquors - but at the same time it's fairly harsh and the trade-off doesn't seem worth it. Disappointing. This beer deserves to be wrapped in a paper bag. There are much better malt liquors on the market. Take a step up to the Coqui 900!

2.13/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a clear golden hue with a medium white soapy head with large bubbles. The smell is very, very faint...with no discernable aromas. First taste reveals a carb bite and a semi-sweet very faint corn taste with nothing else. This is like a near tasteless/odorless semi-high alcohol in a can. The mouthfeel is very watery and I rate the drinkability high as their is nothing offensive to slow you down! Very little to say about this beer. Cheers!

With its "old world" label, and pee like color, I was enticed to one more time embibe one. This is just pure aweful. No taste, or substance. My breath smelled like I was hanging out with winos all day. Smells like the subway on a hot day.

1.57/5  rDev -28%

I can't imagine drinking 40oz of this regularly. Unfortunately I didn't have any fallen homies to tip it for, so this was shared between 4 people (I know, we are SO ghetto). I wonder if the Belgian Monks tip a Westy when they lose one of theirs? I'd still take this over an A/B product any day.

2.06/5  rDev -5.5%

Ho hum... After finishing a 40oz bottle of St. Ides, this beer is rather bland.
First thing that comes to mind is watery. Second thing that comes to mind is watery...and on and on and on. Did I forget to mention that I think that this beer is watery? Look, I really would like to give readers more information about this 40oz Old English “800”, but there just isn’t any...

2.09/5  rDev -4.1%

well i really can't add too much that already hasn't been said about this malt liquor. it's not horrible but the adjunct bite is a little hard on the nostrils and taste buds. and considering the "cool" people that have been reviewing malt liquors lately, i might not appreciate this fine beverage as much as i should/could. OE is a quick buzz maker for those who drink beer primarily to get juiced. and in my case, a way to administer an attitude adjustment after a hard day at work.

2.83/5  rDev +29.8%

I have wanted to sample Olde English "800" for quite some time. Friends who grew up in the inner city swear by this beer, so my curiosity was piqued.

Pours a medium gold color with a quite modest head. A pint glass will contain the contents of a properly poured 16 oz can with little overflow, so the head is pretty limited. Lots of lively carbonation, but not much lace. Strong aroma of cooked grain and alcohol. Taste is a bit rough, the heavy carbonation provides a stinging bite at the opening, followed by grain flavors, then a shift towards a subdued malty sweetness and moderately bitter hops. Alcohol presence is strong, quite potent and warming. This beer is best consumed quite cold. Lots of uncouth charm; if you want to hang with St. Inebrius, two or three 800's should do the trick.

Thanks for providing this sample, Johnny-Boy.

1.8/5  rDev -17.4%

This is the worst malt liquor out there. Why anyone would want to drink any of this crap is beyond me, let alone 40 ounces of pure OE piss. If you really want to get hammered (you must if you are considering this) then go get St. Ides or a Steel. Both have more alcohol and taste better. This stuff blows.

1.73/5  rDev -20.6%

Presentation: 40 oz clean glass twist off bottle, no freshness date. Says it is brewed by Olde English 800 Brewing Company but this is a Miller product.

Appearance: Clear yellowish golden colour with a wispy white lace that has a hard time staying around. Looks like beer that has been sitting out for a while.

Smell: Grainy with a cooked corn grit aroma, slightly metallic and not too pleasing. Light whiff of alcohol also.

Taste: Abrasively crisp, carbonation is high with a slick moderate body. Big grainy flavour bursts from an astringent character, big twang of used up hop that throws down a sharp bitterness with no flavour at all. Metallic and cooked corn runs amuck with a nearly cloying sweetness. Mild clean fume of alcohol warms the throat and body, astringent flavours ride far into the finish.

Notes: Yikes! This is some harsh stuff, it is more than a chore to swill down 40 ounces of this. Many names have been given to this brew but “Ghetto Juice” sticks the most. This seems to be one of the worst but one of the most talked about malt liquors … celebrities that drink this style of beer usually drink this. Go figure?

firstprev| 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next → last
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.