Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
Ratings: 933 | Reviews: 313
3.35/5  rDev +65%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not an "awful". It is very drinkable...not too bad. After seeing the gutter ball ratings this beer had, I went down to the 7-eleven, tonite, and bought a bottle of Olde English for 3 and a half bucks. Cracked that shit and drank a good, not great, but an all around decent beer. You can't drink this beer and expect the Ferrari experience....know that you are not driving a Ferrari, but a station wagon...expect that and you will probably enjoy this beer. Nice yellow color with a pleasing flavor and taste, nothing distracting here.

3.64/5  rDev +79.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I can only speak for the can but this beer is alot better than scored here. I generally hit the Asian deli in Mayfair, Philadelphia after I pick up my girls on Friday night. Just the one 16oz is enough, and I call this my hood beer (not that Mayfair is that bad of a neighborhood). This is actually better (and way less expensive at a $1.35 can) than alot of mediocre craft Ive had.

Pretty golden to yellow color, pale, nice fluffy cotton candy head. Nice malty aroma, no off smells with a little fruity presence. Really good taste, nicely malted, hints of apple and pear (my preferred flavor profile for lagers, I guess a malt liquor is a lager) even a little hops noted. Crisp, clean, refreshing, no off tastes, very smooth easy drinking yet packs a nice little punch.

I look forward to and enjoy this beer every Friday night, and really, what else matters?

4.01/5  rDev +97.5%

Good by itself, great mixed with equal halves orange juice. The hops are calling my name. Every time one of my train hoppin' buddies brings one of these bad boys along, I cave and trade my last lucky strike for it. It puts hair on the chest. Makes ya tough!

1.88/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

I purchased this 16 ounce beauty from one of the more reputable quick marts in town.

The olde school lettering and vaguely crown-like symbol
along with the fact the can was gold caught my interest.

That and it "only" cost a buck. My expectations were sky high.

Odd orange/yellow color with a substantial head that retreats
faster than a French infantryman.

The aroma was that of urine and some other unidentifiable toxic
chemicals.

The taste was quite bland until I let it warm up. Big mistake.

Mouthfeel was the best part, although that could have been due
to the milk stout I had half an hour before.

I want my dollar back.

3.03/5  rDev +49.3%

It is what you should expect from malt liquor.
For an interesting twist, try it warmed sometime, and I do not mean room temp. An acquaintance offered a sample of his preferred style of consumption which was to leave the bottle sitting out in the warm summer sun for a couple of hours. I have to say that it does mellow the flavor making it strangely palatable.

I give this a 5 across the board because it is what it is "MALT LIQUOR" and it meets all the expectations of just that, it is easy to drink and is very inexpensive if anyone is coming onto this website to and rating a 2 or 3 then there is something wrong with them and that person should ask them self, was I dissapointed because the malt liquour was not a 5 and did not meet my expectations, or was I dissapointed because I drank malt liqour? To be honest it is just as good as any IPA that I have consumed because like all beer it is an aquired taste and to much of anything could make you sick, simply put take a high end beer that is highly hopped and take a malt liqour and give it to someone who has never tried any beer before and they would think that both are disquisting!! This is a bang for the buck and works well wheter your on a tight budget or you have a lot of money and besides it is up to you, the drinker to decide what your taste buds like not some amateurs on a website who have no idea what they are talking about.

2.47/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – As could be seen from the clear bottle, the brew pours a medium golden color. Upon pouring there is a huge two billowy white head on the top of the brew, which fades very fast to leave a light level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is quite heavy of a stale sweet corn smell mixed with a little bit of breadiness. There are some lighter notes of a musty graininess as well as some light rice smell and a bit of herb.

Taste – The taste begins with a light, but somewhat crisp flavor of corn and a bit of a bready taste. In the beginning the taste is not nearly as sweet as the nose would have suggested. The taste does however end up gaining more sweetness as the flavor advances. A sweet corn and a little bit of caramel develop more potency as the flavor moves on. While it sweetness it also gains some more musty grain and papery tastes as the flavor advances. In the end a light lemon flavor joins the profile leaving a corny and musty flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was thin and slightly watery with a carbonation level that was on the slightly higher side. The thin body and the higher carbonation are very nice for the style making it a quick and easy drinker.

Overall – An alright malt, but not the best out there. It is a bit on the crisper side for a malt, so if that is what your going for then this is a decent choice.

2.28/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

There is not much going on here, I used to be able to get a couple of these for around $ 5.00 when I was in high school. I have not had one since but they used to be a cost effective way to get a nice buzz when taste comes a distance second to price. Nice memories but I doubt I would be a fan now.

3.8/5  rDev +87.2%

poured from a 40oz bottle into my Duvel tulip...wait who am i kidding? i drank this bastard straight outta the bottle, wrapped in a brown paper bag as any post-recession crazed, red-blooded american would!

a: straw golden color with a foamy white head. not much else to speak of.

s: sweet malty aroma, slight notes of toasted corn and alcohol. c'mon, its malt liquor; the aroma is not supposed to be bold or pleasant.

t: more sweet malted corn flavor with a decent kick of alcohol. the flavor is definitely stronger in the west coast formula due to the 7.5% ABV. not quite as watery as the east coast version but it still finishes nice and dry as any true malt liquor does.

m: quite watery and boozy. not much malt flavor to cover the alcohol but enough to keep it from being totally undrinkable (in my opinion, of course).

o: this is probably my favorite true malt liquour on the market (no, Rogue's old "daddy's little helper" or Dogfish Head's "Liquor de Malt" do not count as a true malt liquour. sorry.). I'll take this over Colt 40, St. Ides, Mickey's or Cobra any day but Private Stock still might be my favorite. i was shocked to see this has an ABV of 7.5%. i did a bit of research and apparently the west coast gets a stronger version than we do back east. weird.

4.85/5  rDev +138.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If I were to sum myself up in one word, it's swank. I'm a guy who only cares for the fine things in life. If you're like me, then Olde English is the beer for you. The aroma of oak is evident once you open it (probably what is was aged in). The taste is smooth and sweet, similar to many other high-end European beers. I became violently ill shortly after finishing this (probably unrelated).

4.11/5  rDev +102.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer in college. Me and my roommates bought kegs of this sutff for THE house parites in college. We willl tell the guest it was budweiser and they would suck it down like it was water. At the end party , we would make more money because we would only have to buy one keg instead of two KEGS of budweiser. These college parties would pay for your rent and extra spending money. Thanks alot Miller Company

Now , 20 year later I bought some of can last night. I was not excepting much it was suuprising good. THe smell was good. It smells like a american beer like metal.

I drank the beer cold in a mug and it was suprising Very crisp, the carbonation gives it a very smooth body. High marks for good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, and not much -lingering taste. I . I drank my 24 oz in half an hour. This beer gets the job done!

1.12/5  rDev -44.8%

It's fitting that the picture of this beer on the site is of an empty bottle, because you should never go near this liquid. If you want to live, that is.

I could buy a case of this shit for like 18 bucks at the gas station at my college, which I did a few times.

It's yellow, like urine. I didn't pour it out, because it was taped to my wrists. I would've looked like a dumbass if I had poured it out. Because I didn't look stupid with them taped to my wrists, obviously.

Smells kinda like corn, but mostly like sweat.

Unless you have an iron stomach, you can't drink this beer fast enough, which means it will unfortunately warm up. Might as well end your life. This beer is utterly ATROCIOUS as it warms up- tastes like stale cereal that's been left in muddy ditch that a homeless person with Lupus just peed in. Oh dear lord.

I guess it's light bodied, wasn't really paying attention. It seems well carbonated. Not even a little bit drinkable.

When you stare into the abyss, sometimes the abyss stares back into you. Or something.

3.1/5  rDev +52.7%

I have drank a lot of Olde English. I have drank a lot of beer and liquor. I have drank around 300 different beer brands and 100 hard liquor brands. I like to drink and I hope I can do something more constructive... Well for now I might go get one of these bad boys after finishing this review.

Olde English 800 is your average tasting 40 oz that you buy because its 2 dollars and you grab one and drink it and paint the house.

Everything about it is okay. From the color to the taste its neither good nor bad.

2.41/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

This malt liquor is piss. Only drank it because it was free. The beer itself is pretty flat. It tastes like a 40 oz. Looks like a 40 oz. Would rather drink a nice trippel or something. It is just not my style of preference. Damn you miller for making suck beverages.

1.46/5  rDev -28.1%

A friend just walked in the door yielding a full piss yellow 40 oz. bottle, and poured me a glass into my Boulevard tulip. Bottle reads best by May 20, 2013.

A - Semi-aggressive pour yielded about a finger and half of head that receded quicker than I would have imagined. Extremely clear yellow water appearance.

S - Smells of chemically treated malts and corn husk, with some dust. Giving off the basic standard Miller vibe.

T - This is definitely a macrobrew. Definitely a Miller product. Thicker and heavier than the usual Miller Lite, Miller Genuine Draft, etc. But no where near as carbonated, I will give it credit for that. Does it make it taste any better? Not at all. Typical malt liquor flavor. Chemically treated malts and corn husks, again.

M - Thin and watery, no real lingering flavor of any kind aside from the dusty chemical malt. I think I'm just going to say I'm glad none of the "flavors" really stick around.

In all, I can't think of a single good reason to go ahead and buy one of these, especially in a 40 oz. My friend who brought it didn't even buy it, it was given to him for free. I guess drink it if you've got it.

Miller Brewing Olde English 800---1.5/5

2.7/5  rDev +33%

Tall golden can poured into a weizen glass. Perhaps not review-appropriate, but served ice-cold. That temperature is standard for the style, though...

A: Straw gold. Moderately thick head dissipated slowly.

S: Cooked grain and alcohol.

T: Cooked grain and alcohol. A hint of hop bitterness lurking around somewhere in the background.

M: Thin with high carbonation.

O: Not the worst in the style, but far from my favorite. One of the primary places where it fails is its lack of the sugary sweetness that helps mask the utilitarian nature of the style.

2.48/5  rDev +22.2%

Tasted On: 01-11-2013
Freshness: Best by 03-25-2013
Packaging: 24 oz. can
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: Single from Daily's Market

Finally getting around to reviewing a malt liquor!

A: Pours with a tight head of 2 fingers. The beer is clear and a bright golden color. Lacing is low with a fair amount of head retention.

S: Aromas are of sweet, light malts, plus hay and some light, grassy hop notes. Overall not a lot of aroma, however.

T: Hmm, not too much in the way of taste -- some sweet, light grains is about it. No bitterness to speak of. It's not offensive, but its not flavorful either.

M: Thin body with a high carbonation content. Not really any aftertaste.

O: So this wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I've had some beers I couldn't finish, but this one wasn't horrible tasting and I could drink it. It just didn't have much taste to speak of.

2.26/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours straw yellow with a white head that has decent retention. Some thin lacing sticks.

The smell is of corn oil, slight grain and a hint of alcohol.

The taste is pretty empty. Some corn, a touch of husk. It is on the sweet side, with an abrupt finish. The alcohol is on the mild side for the style.

The feel is watery, but astringent.

It's not "terrible", but it is certainly not good. It is rather weak for the style. It's pretty drinkable, considering. It's a sweet-ish, rather bland, cheap Malt Liquor.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Solid golden brown. Very nice if I do say so myself.

S:Smells pretty alright for the malt liquor category, not too strong and a slight pinch to the nostrils if you take a real good whiff.

T: I personally like the taste of Olde E, alot of people like to bash it for being cheap and low grade but I think its a rose amongst weeds in its category.

M: Has a potent and unique taste with just enough bite to put your mind at ease that the buzz will be awesome once achieved.

O: A solid, well rounded, economical and tasty treat for a Friday night with nothing better to do than to throw on some Motorhead and talk shit with your friends.

2.37/5  rDev +16.7%

A - Drank it straight from the 22oz bottle so I couldn't speak for the head of this beer. The brew is an extremely clear bronze-gold with a slight white film to cap it off. Left no lacing in the bottle.

S - Grains, skunk, rice, slight malt

T - Sweet corn, light malt, rice, nice sweet grain. For it being as cheap as it is it isn't too shabby at all.

M - Heavy stinging carbonation with a heavy body

O - Overall this is a pretty basic cheap beer with an above average taste as far as cheap beers go. I'd have again for a party.

2.74/5  rDev +35%

Compared to other beer, this is rather bad. But as a 40 with a purpose, this is wonderful. I don't like getting drunk, but when I have to (e.g., frat party), I just down one or two of these to give me the buzz I need. It's cheap, and it's effective, and isn't that really the point of a 40? With that in mind, this beer is the one to go for if you need to be drunk but don't like binge drinking, hard liquor, or wasting your craft beer.

1.76/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured into a lager glass. Pretty clear pour, light straw color in the glass. Three and half fingers of head. Despite tall head, it dissipated rapidly.
It smells day-long wet grains. Not horrible.
Watery taste at first, quickly moved towards sweet... and just stayed there. Not a malty sweet, just a pure sugar sweetness that lingers uncomfortably long.
Smooth and light body. Moderate carbonation. Sticky texture. I did not like that.
It is what it is. Thankfully it is cheap. I've had way worse cost to satisfaction ratios with other beers. Still, it's doubtful I'll be physically able to finish the 24 oz can.

1.68/5  rDev -17.2%

I have my doppelganger to thanks for this one as he spent a whole $1.29 + tax to pick this one up for me at a local Marathon on the way to a birthday party! Thanks??? Served from 40 oz bottle into a shaker for the first glass then consumed straight from the bottle for the rest. Unfortunately there wasn’t as brown paper bag as the gas station didn’t have any to give us. Poured golden yellow with a one and a half off-white head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, sugar, alcohol, and grain. The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, grain, wheat, and alcohol. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty bad brew. I always joked with my friends about drinking this one at parties to see the look on people’s faces. Well, apparently my best friend remembered this and made it happen. Just so you know this thing is bad. I really wish it would have been higher in ABV so I would at least be so wasted after that I had forgotten that I had drank it. So after all this I’m wondering around the party with no buzz and looking for something else to drink. Luckily there was another 40 oz laying around, so I went with that obviously. But about the beer, not a lot but grain and corn going on here with a hint of sugar. Great for party gifts and hobos under the overpass, but if you have any class at all you will avoid this at all costs.

2.13/5  rDev +4.9%

Golden yellow in color, suprisingly thick head with little retention. Scent is pale and meek, some light malt, light sweet corn and metallic notes. Taste again is somewhat clean for style, light sweet malts, sweet corn. Light, fizzy, some lingering warmth. It is what it is, and thats not very good.

3.08/5  rDev +51.7%

Small amount poured into a juice glass for head and aroma. The rest was drank from the elegant 40 oz bottle.

A - gold with a short-lived, bubbly layer of white head

S - warm, grainy, sweet

T - warm, grainy, corn, sweet, faintly bitter

M - crisp, light to medium bodied

For the style it isn't awful. I've had worse. The style usually isn't for taste. With that being said this is pretty drinkable. It wouldn't be hard to make this disappear and get a cheap buzz.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.