Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.13/5  rDev -44.6%

The Big Nasty. Don't drink 3 of these in a night, or you'll wake up next to something regretable. Anyways, looks and smells like human liquid waste.

Taste is just alcohol and yellow beer. Mouthfeel, something, rice or corn wallows around. Kinda drinkable once you get a little tipsy and play some Too $hort.

03-07-2010 00:46:41 | More by Beerandraiderfan
corpulent

Nevada

1.2/5  rDev -41.2%

Oof. My gut hurts just writing about it.

Piss yellow. Sour. Thick greasy coating in my mouth. I'm going to smell like a hobo's blanket tomorrow.

No one is reading 8-Ball reviews wondering whether or not to try this.

"Hmmm, I saw Old E at the local liquor store, maybe I should try it. I wonder what the folks on Beer Advocate think about it."

You drink this because you are broke. And you want to get drunk. And sick.

03-07-2010 00:24:29 | More by corpulent
yesyouam

1.7/5  rDev -16.7%

Olde English 800 is a very clear and very lively bright yellow beer with a big, fluffy, white head that has really good retention and leaves clumps of lacing on the glass. It has an aroma of DMS and fusel. Yup, it smells like a homeless dude. It's medium bodied, pretty smooth and pretty crisp. It leaves the the tongue a little numb. There isn't a really strong flavor here but it's just kind of like... corn and vegetables with a little rumble of booze at the end. Man, after 40 oz. of this, I don't know if I'll be going outside naked in subzero weather or fighting a cop or both. I guess we'll find out in the morning..

02-14-2010 18:27:27 | More by yesyouam
Vengeance526

Louisiana

2.1/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a decent clear golden color with a large foamy white head that sticks around for a little while and gradually dissipates leaving some lacing.

Smells of corn, maybe some other spoiled vegetables in there as well.

Taste is somewhat metallic and again a lot of corn comes out.

Lots of carbonation with a crisp feel. As long as it never gets above freezing temperature, the drinkability on this is okay. Once you start noticing any kind of taste, well you took too long.

02-12-2010 04:59:37 | More by Vengeance526
BigBen61

Kentucky

3.23/5  rDev +58.3%

As anyone else who enjoys malt liquors will tell you, this beer is not the kind meant for savoring. It is designed solely for getting hammered, however I do believe there are some redeeming characteristics for this "king of malt liquors" as Miller likes to claim. An easy drinking malt liquor with a palatable taste. I will say, however that the only positive about the aroma is that it is easily recognizable that it will get you messed up something quick. I did follow some suggestions of regular "malt advocates" and the consensus is they all look like piss so forget about it, the can however is a piece of nostalgic beauty, so it gets and average on this handle. I honestly believe that even though the taste is not pleasant, it is definately drinkable and therefore deserves a decent rating in both taste and mouthfeel. God forgive me for drinking this sh** and liking it. Long live IPA!

01-25-2010 20:55:16 | More by BigBen61
ikelikesbeer

3.95/5  rDev +93.6%

Cool close to freezing, work out in 75F+ and this becomes my go to beer! KIW ITA RH. 8===D ~o (j) all dat errday. Listen, this shiz cost around sixty seven cents per can an seven point five alcohol by volume. I'm on my third tonight and two hundred and fifty words is way to many.

01-25-2010 01:45:15 | More by ikelikesbeer
erz316

Indiana

1.7/5  rDev -16.7%

40 oz

wow. I've never had a beer that tastes like the way a wet-cat smells. this shit is pretty rank. the color is like the worst bmc piss has to offer. the smell is, like I said, as a wet-animal. the taste, well, anything could pretty much taste better. the feel is ridiculous bad: super thin and the d-bility is needless to say, horrible.

01-16-2010 03:52:44 | More by erz316
Mosstrooper

2.58/5  rDev +26.5%

Poured from 40oz bottle into Hofbräuhaus maß.

Appearance: Clear straw color with a massive white head that dissipates pretty slowly and leaves little lace.

Smell: Smells of grains and corn throughout.

Taste: Tastes of sweet corn throughout, with an alcoholic finish and some grainy hints.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, balanced carbonation, and thin finish.

Drinkability: No, this is not the best tasting beer around. Still, it does manage to taste better than some American macro brews and, if you wanna get drunk, there's nothing better.

01-15-2010 18:52:59 | More by Mosstrooper
wahhmaster

2.38/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured from a 40 oz. bottle into a 1L Hofbräuhaus mug.

Appearance: Pours a translucent golden color. Has a thick, foamy white head that dissipates slowly and leaves little lacing.

Smell: Smells strongly of corn and other adjuncts. At least it smells a little more strongly than most BMC products.

Taste: Has a weak corny taste up front that finishes sweet. However, I find this to have much flavor than your typical light beer.

Mouthfeel: Thin, watery, and over-carbonated.

Drinkability: Pretty atrocious tasting but let's be honest here: Do you really drink Olde English for its hop and malt profile? Nah. You drink it to get drunk cheaply and it succeeds marvelously at that. For that alone, this beer is a winner in my book.

01-15-2010 00:38:58 | More by wahhmaster
mambiso1123

1.1/5  rDev -46.1%

I'm writing this from memory lane, as I decided to buy a 32 ouncer to relive some teenage memories. I live in Florida now, but I recall drinking 40 ouncers back then. They used to sell a 64 ounce bottle of OE (yikes) that was so large the bottle had a handle. Yeah. A handle.

Memory lane was paved poorly. God, this is a nasty brew. The color is visible in the bottle (you don't pour this into a glass), and it looks like how it will leave your system: as urine.

Taste: If you drink it at ice-cold temperature, it's fine. At cold temperature or less, it tastes like it looks.

Just an awful, awful beer. When I have children, and see them try and drink this like I did when I was their age, I won't say a word. They'll learn like I did---this is just bad, bad, stuff.

12-30-2009 02:31:03 | More by mambiso1123
beer256

3.15/5  rDev +54.4%

this is another cheap beer from my past.i think it the best of the cheap beers out there.the taste isnt as bad and the appearance of the beer is pretty good.keep in mind i keep saying cheap beer because thats what it is and im rating it against other cheap beer

12-28-2009 00:33:37 | More by beer256
deruiz10

2.08/5  rDev +2%

Poured a 40-oz bottle into a 1.0L mug.

A - Pale yellowgold with a fair amount of carbonation. Initial 3-finger egg-shell head fades to light lacing.

S - Very little smell, just sweet hops and not much more.

T - Flavor-seekers need not apply. Really not much taste in the body, just generic light beer taste of unremarkable malts and some alcohol. Finish is slightly bitter and metallic.

M - Very watery, quite carbonated. Just like any light beer.

D - Not unsmooth and quite tolerable if served ice cold, but this isn't the beer that you go to for sipping. It's not meant to be consumed for pleasure, but it's honestly better than some of the horrifying light beers out there and gets you buzzed quicker which is probably what you'd be going for if you're in the market for light beer or malt liquor.

12-03-2009 20:25:15 | More by deruiz10
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

3.85/5  rDev +88.7%

Ah, Olde English. My first love.

As an ongoing series, I plan to knock out the malt liquor reviews. I will say that I am quite fond of Malt Liquor and will be reviewing TO STYLE, critics be damned.

Served out of the bottle, in a 40 koozie, as the good lord intended.

A- Light, golden honey, not much of a head, but fizzy enough carbonation. Not winning any awards, but a hell of a lot better than others similar to the style.

S- Corn, malty adjunct sweetness, mild cooked vegetables. Not O.E.'s selling point.

T- Much better. Light, crisp, sweet, a tad bit corn-y. Metallic, slightly hopped (but that could just be more metallic taste), not offensive or off-putting. I like it... but I drank enough of this stuff to develop my palate, lol.

M- This is where the mbeer shines. High marks for good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, and a not-too-lingering taste.

D- High. I can down these like water. Tasty enough, though there are tastier malt liquors, this one had nothing major working against it. A solid package that doesn't dissapoint. I like it.

11-13-2009 01:11:29 | More by ShogoKawada
BARFLYB

1.68/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

16oz can into a regular kitchen glass and then some, when times are tough you gotta do what you gotta do, Right? Well maybe not..

Eight hundred brang the noise when the can was popped but no beer exploded from the alluminum, thank god, I thought this would be a gusher. Burnt yellow with a tannish outline and no sediment at all. Clear enough to see through the glass. A one inch loose bright white head left no lace and bounced quickly.

"You'll never get out of this maze." 800 smells like a corn field. While that is the main scent a big malt presense is also up there, well duh, it's a malt liquor Barry. The malts give off a sweet scent, but I would not call it the usual caramel. No alcohol detected in the scent which I was actually expecting.

Corn husks and sweet malt, that pretty much sums up the taste of this popular ML. Upon sipping this, I was taken back in time about 15 years ago when I was a little badass and drinking 40's of this stuff with the village posse. No hops at all, do they even use hops in this? Is this even beer? Well yes it is, in theory, but also in theory, communism works!

The feel is a bit lighter than medium while the crispness of the carbonation is not as high as I remembered. It goes down pretty easy but in no way is this a easy beer to drink. Not big on a lasting aftertaste and the alcohol is surprisingly well hidden. I could only take small sips of this, I mean orca small. If I took bigger sips of this I would throw it up. The only reason I did not give this a F is because it did not make me sick afterwards.

I don't know how some people can stomach this stuff, different strokes for different folks I guess.

11-05-2009 03:02:15 | More by BARFLYB
nickfl

2.78/5  rDev +36.3%

A - Pours with one finger of white head into a pint glass (this is the only time I have ever seen a malt liquor in a glass!). The foam settles rapidly and leaves no lace. The body is clear and golden-yellow.

S - Grainy corn aroma with just a hint of sweet malt. Otherwise clean; no hops and no yeast character.

T - Husky grain up front with corn and light malt notes. Some very light herbal hop flavor in the middle and a little bit of bitterness in the finish with more corn and malt.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a slightly dry finish.

D - The best thing I can say about this beer is that it hides its alcohol well. It is one of the smoother malt liquors and has a fairly clean malt profile with noticeable, but fairly inoffensive, corn notes. It is an efficient alcohol delivery system and if I had to drink a malt liquor, this would probably be my first choice.

10-22-2009 05:04:24 | More by nickfl
TheSarge

2.88/5  rDev +41.2%

Produces great head presentation of a fluffy white two finger thick head, and has outstanding lacing and retention. The body of the brew is gold, fizzy, and cleanly filtered.

In the nose it's corny and dextrin, but seems to have a decent lemon zest from the hops.

The taste is corny and grainy as to be expected. The added sugar is detectable too.

The mouth feel is decent in that it's not too dry and actually leaves the palate a little refreshed. The higher ABV is not really detectable through alcoholic warmness either.

Overall this is about the best malt liquor I've had. I wouldn't give this a great rating compared against a German or Czech Pilsner. It is what it is, and has its place.

09-23-2009 19:03:06 | More by TheSarge
drunkboxer1

2.53/5  rDev +24%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the bottle into my mouth. Smells a little "hot" and fuselly. Tastes the same. Theres a big corny aftertastes that kind of coats your tongue and sits there for a while. I wish it was a little more carbonated. Went ok with the chili dogs I was eating but frankly any other forty (besides perhaps Magnum or Evil Eye) would have gotten the job done and been less gross about it.

09-08-2009 14:15:38 | More by drunkboxer1
scottyshades

2.6/5  rDev +27.5%

Naturally I had to listen to Sublime's 40oz to Freedom and the Game's Old English while I review this monster. Although in FL 32oz is what I got...

A: Pours a transparent golden straw color which produces a bubbly fizzy head that is slightly off-white. Minor lacing

S: Very metallic nose. Slightly stronger than some of the other noses, with cereal, corn, and a sweet note, almost like corn flakes!

T: Similar to the nose, slightly less metallic than I expected, and also a little sweeter. Not terrible, but we won't see this ranked anytime soon

MF/D: Better carbonation than some others, light body for the style, lingering metallic sweetness.

08-27-2009 19:19:57 | More by scottyshades
twiggamortis420

2.58/5  rDev +26.5%

OE - used to drink it in fo-tays but now I think this tall boy can will be quite enough. Pours a clear, medium yellow color with a fluffy white head that fades really quick and only leaves a slight sheen behind.

Sweet malty nose, but nothing really offensive. Maybe a bit of metallic graininess. Actually smells pretty fresh.

Taste is pretty full-bodied and malty sweet. Hops are basically undetectable and carbonation level is fairly high. Hides the ABV well when cold...once it warms up though, all bets are off with this beer. It doesnt taste like a whole lot, but it is not unpleasant. Gimmie a foty of this and I'll play some bones.

07-29-2009 23:38:44 | More by twiggamortis420
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

2.13/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

24 oz can into a Nonic. 08179 on bottom of can. Meh.

A - Clear straw yellow with bubbles going up to a fizzy yet well-maintained stark white head. Good retention but no lacing on the glass. Doesn't look half bad.

S - Cooked corn and fresh, dry straw populates the aroma. A light sweetness pairs with an incredibly light peach-like fruitiness.

T - Strong flavor of roasted corn and dry straw with a minimal fruitiness that is intertwined with the sweetness.

M - Slick and watery, this light-bodied malt beverage has a crisp feel with a sweet aftertaste and goes down with a moderate carbonation bite.

D - I don't understand the appeal of malt liquors. ABV and cheap price I suppose, however, it fails completely in flavor and drinkability. Well, not completely, but it's not good.
[I poured it out in favor of opening something else GOOD to rate.]

07-26-2009 23:49:05 | More by BeerFMAndy
DookDrinkyCrow

Maryland

3.65/5  rDev +78.9%

Appearance: looks like room temperature piss

Smell: Smells like oily greasy sidewalk

Taste: tastes like ghetto juice

Mouthfeel: feels like grits

Drinkability: After you chug one down, you always have room for another!

Don't take my review the wrong way, "Old Gold" is a traditional part of my beer drinking life. I have consumed more of these 40's than probably any other beer on the planet. For a price tag under 2.50 this is a no brainer. Party at my house, bring some OE

07-11-2009 18:52:48 | More by DookDrinkyCrow
thekevlarkid

Maryland

2.98/5  rDev +46.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Out of a mutha-F-ing forty this beer was a gold color with good clarity. My aggressive pour created a three-finger white head that displayed pretty good retention that eventually became a thin collar that left good lacing. The aroma was of macro-grains, something like wet cardboard, a little musty malt and pale malt. The flavors were actually pretty good for a malt liquor. Macro grains, some sweet malt, a little pale malt and some stale notes too. Touches of bitterness did appear at the end but it was not really hoppy, crisp or defined. The mouthfeel was a little oily and rough, the body was medium and the carbonation prickly. Yes, it was a malt liquor so it could only be so good, but straight up, I was down with it.

07-06-2009 21:37:46 | More by thekevlarkid
tpd975

2.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Drinking this one to get the style rate and for no other reason. I consumed tons of this stuff in high school. We would buy 64 ouncers and two would plow me for the night.

Here's to Old Time's sake.

A: Pours a clear yellow with a white fizzy head. No retention or lace.

S: Very corn like, chemicals, and cheap malt sweetness.

T: A bit bitter up front. Corny grainy malt sweetness in the middle. Doughy bready finish with a bit more cheap grassy hops.

M: Medium in body, fizzy, okay carbonation.

D: Nah, I remember the days that I drank this every weekend. Boy have I come a long way.

07-06-2009 15:41:51 | More by tpd975
Moontang

Ontario (Canada)

2.85/5  rDev +39.7%

I drank this poured into an old-fashioned size glass from a can.

Appearance:
Nothing remarkable, a pale golden yellow, with a head that dissipates rapidly and does not leave much lacing.

Smell:
Barely detectable, slightly grainy and smoky.

Taste:
Unremarkable. A bitter, hoppy start, which the colour doesn't suggest, and an understated grainy finish, which is slightly sweet. As I prefer lighter beers, this doesn't really appeal to me, but I could see others with different tastes enjoying it.

Drinkability:
I could see myself drinking this in large quantities if there was nothing else available. It isn't awful, but overall not impressive. I would not seek it out, but I would accept it if offered.

06-14-2009 21:54:57 | More by Moontang
tone77

3.13/5  rDev +53.4%

Poured from a clear bottle into a weizen glass. Has a rich golden color with about 1/2 inch head. Weak malt smell. The taste is malty and not all that great. Feels somewhat bitter in the mouth. Drinkability is o.k. I guess. This is a beer I drank a lot of in my youth but don't care for so much now.

06-09-2009 22:35:24 | More by tone77
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.