1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
2.13/5  rDev +4.9%

40oz bottle

Pretty much looks like urine. Clear dark yellow liquid with a big fluffy white head resting on top. Here we go!

Metallic corn and alcohol in the nose. Hints of sweetness as well with an slight funkiness.

Alcohol and corn with some slight skunky notes. Slightly smooth (I guess) and bitter. Fairly nondescript in flavor, which is a good thing for this sort of beer. Finishes with some lingering metallic notes and warmth.

Lighter medium body, decent carbonation, lingering on the tongue. This isn't good, but considering how awful some other malt liquors are, I didn't completely hate drinking it.

xnicknj, Nov 01, 2011
1.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Cheap brew for alchoholics is the only reason this vile potion exists! Urine yellow fusel oil with moldy cornflakes. Drank enough to review and dumped the rest!
If you must drink this, keep it in a brown bag and try not to sleep in alleyways!
(No stereotyping intended by these comments!)

CaptJackHarkness, Sep 23, 2011
1.1/5  rDev -45.8%

Served in standard pint glass

A: Looks like corn colored carbonated water. White head with some lacing.

S: Quite dirty and grainy. Unappealing

T: BAAAD. Corn, cereal.

M: See taste.

D: Get drunk beer only. Not a drink I will be returning too on purpose

drowninginhops, Sep 23, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -19.7%

Personally, I enjoy drinking OE800. There really is nothing to like about it. Its by no means the best 40oz of malt liquor you can get.

I've seen several colors of OE800, but the most consistent one is a boy's room yellow. The odor on this stuff isn't something to get excited about. It smells like stale, stagnant air in a locker room. The taste is actually worse than the smell leads on. Its very rough, and it you're not built to consume bad things, this may be an issue. The only mouthfeel is you trying to choke it down, and keep it down.

Overall, if you want a 40oz of malt liquor, get a mickey's. The only reason I can see someone drinking this stuff is if they've acquired a taste for it. There's really no reason that explain why I like it, but its a bit more tolerable with orange juice.

FUNKPhD, Aug 31, 2011
2.48/5  rDev +22.2%

A: Looks like corn colored corn syrup, dull white head on top. Actually has lacing.

S: Quite dirty and grainy. Not boozy, but unappealing with trace amounts of malt. Neutral to trashy smelling.

T: It's very mineral-y and has candied-rice cripy flavor to it. The slight sweetness is the only savior. Otherwise, this is very bland and can only sense adjunct flavoring.

M: Pretty thin, and almost feels a bit grainy, in a disturbing way.

O/D: Nothing more than a "gets the job done" beer, and even that, not worth it. A pretty poor malt liquor, as redundant as it sounds.

mostpoetsdo, Aug 04, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

A - roughly the same color as the can, a bronze gold mix. Very airy fluffy head. Bright white.

S - permanent markers and glue mixed with equal parts adjunt malt.

T - all the enjoyment of flat beer without the wait. You can have dull lifeless flat beer right now in the comfort of your home.

M - astringent caustic yet dull and watery. How'd they manage that ?

D - lack of flavor lack of "good" smells mediocre looks and poor texture. It is very affordable. So I'll boost it up to an overall 2

jeranbrews, Jul 19, 2011

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a large off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains adjunct, light malts and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a strong flavor of the typical light malt sweetness that you usually get in this type of beer. Then some bready grain and adjunct flavors quickly follow along with a mild boozy bite of alcohol, since there isn’t much in the beer to balance the alcohol out, despite the low ABV for the style. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: A little tasty, goes down easily, not filling at all, mild kick, decent representation of style, it’s not as much of a buzz-accelerator as most people look for in a Malt Liquor but for the style it’s a decent beer to pound for a while.

TheManiacalOne, Jul 03, 2011
1.4/5  rDev -31%

Thought about pouring this into a snifter, but decided to keep this beauty in the bottle wrapped in a paper bag. The "real" and only way to do it.

Appearance - Poured one for the homie and it left an almost pure white very thick head on the ground. Looking into the bottle I see an almost blinding golden yellow. No signs of any lacing at all.

Smell - Light scent of musty grains and metal.

Taste - If you can imagine putting a handful of pennies in your mouth, that would best describe the taste of this.

Mouthfeel - Light and watery, but it was just over carbonated.

Overall - It don't get any more gangsta than this. This was THE drink for me when I was young and broke.

dvsbizzyb, May 25, 2011

First had: bottle (40 of course, yo) from some random liquor store

Worst beer ever? Possibly. I remember once back in the day stopping at a liquor store before going to a party. My friend picked up a 40 of Olde E. "Good God, how can you even think of drinking that?" I asked... as I picked up a 40 of Coors Light.

Pours the color that your pee is when you're dehydrated, or when you've not been drinking Old E enough. Fizzy, with a quickly-receding white frothy head. Smells of sweet corn and old grains. Taste of tinkle, corn, stale grain, and alcohol. Very light-bodied, harsh, and pretty much as undrinkable as rocket fuel. Goes good with pig knuckles, collard greens, and maybe garnished with a slice of watermelon. Yo.

Rifugium, May 22, 2011
1.7/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

40oz "Imported" bottle, from the 'Olde English 800 Brewing Company', Milwaukee, WI. Ahhh, good ol' product origin obfuscation. This one has 8% ABV for northern consumption pleasures (Our street people need the warmth more.)

This beer pours a clear, effervescent medium golden yellow colour, with two fingers of tight, light foamy white head, which maintains surprising retention, eventually rendering some random drooping painted lace around the glass. This distracting appearance almost belies the smell of this abomination from across the desk - cheap beer on steroids, the stale creamed corn graininess and metallic alcohol hanging gruesomely in the air. Getting close enough to taste it takes a bit of acclimatization, but, once there, the taste is more sweet corn mash, the booziness evolving a nail polish character that reminds me of living with my sisters long ago. Most of the carbonation must have seen what I have seen and bailed, 'cause there ain't much going on there, which of course paves the way for a nice, smooth, cloying as fuck mouthfeel. The finish is drier that I had expected, but using the twin bills of alcohol and musty grain to achieve the effect.

After trying a few of the locally available hobo flasks, and trying to find something salvageable in each, I'm at a loss here. Sure, I looks all right, but the slope is pretty steep after that. As the last of my first (and last) glass slowly drains, my taste buds feel, well, dead. The mustiness and unrestrained lack of brewing character leave me morose. Given the cost of any beer around here, the fact that this (thankfully) set me back only about 4 bucks, still seems like hollow consolation at the moment.

biboergosum, May 11, 2011
1.35/5  rDev -33.5%

First off a skunk aroma with strong adjunct. Not much to like in that.
Extremely clear. Big full white head. Golden yellow.
Quotes from the gallery that shared this.
"Tastes better than it smells"
"Not as bad as I thought or remembered"
From the song Ballad of Larry "Prozac for the poor"
"Tastes like when my neighbor hits a skunk with a combine"
No hop flavor and bitterness to cut sweetness only. A little dryness.
Water thin and ample carbonation.
A lark we had it, only a lark would make it return.

garymuchow, May 01, 2011
2.1/5  rDev +3.4%

24-oz can poured into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

I needed beer in which to boil some brats, so I picked up a can. I used half for the brats and consumed the other half as I waited for them to boil.

A - huge white head disappears quickly; body is very light yellow and transparent. Looks more like colored water than beer.

S - grainy corn smell; alcohol; not much else to it

T - Honestly better than I expected, but that's not saying much. Strong corn flavor with a stale hop presence; alcohol.

M - thin and watery; high carbonation

O - Not really worth drinking. May be worth boiling brats--we'll see . . .

lwillitz, Apr 25, 2011
2.23/5  rDev +9.9%

24oz can
Served in a pint glass

A - It pours a clear golden color. It had two inches of white head for about 3.6 seconds.

S - It smells like sweet malt and grass.

T - I get grain and grass. That's about it.

M - It's damn near water.

O - It brings the urban experience to my country home.

buschbeer, Apr 15, 2011
2.6/5  rDev +28.1%

Let me say how excited I am to drink this beer. I bought it from the most hood corner store that I could find to ensure optimum freshness. Stamped with AUG2211 on bottle.

Served in a tulip glass, then straight out of the 40 bottle.

A. If I could make a beer this clear, I would be ecstatic. Light yellow with a constant stream of bubbles. More head than I would have expected, disspiates quickly leaving a thin "puck" on the surface of the brew. I appreciate the fine taper that they put on the top of the bottle to accommodate drinking straight from the bottle. They really thought of everything here.

S. Smells like cheap lager. Smells grainy/husky and maybe a little like corn; it smells sweet. I swear there's some kind of noble hop character in the background as well.

T. Very, very sweet. Finishes with a strong corn and husky grain flavor. More flavor than I expected really.

M. Extremely light bodied and very high carbonation. It's not as high as something like Orval, though.

D. If you can drink 40 oz of it, then it's very drinkable.

For my first 40, I'm very impressed. This is the stuff of legend, and has a long heritage of rappers who have consumed it. I can now proudly count myself among their ranks.

devilishprune, Apr 02, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -19.7%

Continuing on my self-punishment tour of some of the worst brews ever, I take myself to a true hobo classic... the Olde English tallboy.

Drank straight up out of the 24oz can.

S: Smells like old stale macro on first whiff. I am not exaggerating. You know the smell of old beer that has sat out overnight after a party and you have to clean it up the morning after? That's what this is like. Slight sweetness, alcohol and metallic twang to bring it all together into one horrific package.

T: Kind of bitter, kind of sweet. A chore to swallow. Not too heavy on the alcohol but somehow it still burns. Consider it a perk, or part of the experience. Lingers on the palate like a bad cigarette.

Overall: Not something I'll ever subject myself to again. There are way better means of getting trashed than this, and though it's cheap, it's not at all worth the gagging and self loathing.

BucBasil, Mar 31, 2011
4.48/5  rDev +120.7%

Golden Standard:
This is the golden standard in malt liquor. It is the malt liquor against which all others are compared. How this came about, I don't know, but it is a damn good malt liquor. It is not necessarily the best in the category, but it is the one that I shall compare all others in the category against and so far, it is the best I have had. Except when I tried to chug one that was only mildly chilled while sitting in my car before a concert, I have always enjoyed this brew.

On another note, it sets the standard in ensuring that malt liquor labels contain random words or graphics that don't seem to make any sense. Why is it 800? What is 800 about it? And why is it required that "800" be in quotation marks? Is it to prevent the consumer from thinking that the product contains actual 800? Wouldn't want anyone to make that mistake. Could lead to lawsuits.

The Review:
Though the preferred serving vessel for this particular brew is the 40 oz. bottle, I opted to use a pint glass just for fun. It pours a very nice golden colour with a one inch head that disappears once you start drinking. The taste is exactly what I want in a malt liquor. It has a dominant note of corn nuts. Corn definitely plays a large role in this beer. It is not at all bitter. There are little to no hops in this beer. It is sweet, but by no means overly sweet. This malt liquor is exactly the right degree of sweet. The fusel aftertaste is barely noticeable. It has a DEFINITE aftertaste, but it tastes mostly of corn and alcohol. Despite the corn taste, there are definitely other ingredients in the malt. It has a cheap malt flavour that adds texture to the dominant corn flavour.

With each consecutive sip I take, I feel better. This truly is the perfect malt liquor. If you like that mildly sweet, corn-heavy malt flavour, uninhibited by hops and you like getting drunk and feeling all right, this is the malt liquor for you. This is something you can easily get used to. It doesn't make getting drunk a chore like high gravity beers. This beer is EASY, but not watery. It's a taste you can learn to love. So far, best malt liquor I've tried. In addition, it's better than most beers in its price range if you want taste and not just water. If you're not a fan of hops (and I'm not), I'd even put it above many beers that are well above it in price range. Four big thumbs up. Wait, no, five....three? How many thumbs do I have? They're looking a little hazy.
One downside to this beer is like all malt liquors it starts to feel a little nasty and overly sweet towards the end, even if kept well chilled throughout the experience. However, compared to other malt liquors, I'd say this one exhibits that problem the least. And if you have a little food to eat with it towards the end, that problems disappears entirely. Bottoms up!

ElCommodoro, Mar 26, 2011
2.48/5  rDev +22.2%

22 oz. bottle, "JUL2511" screened on the neck.

Pale straw gold, bright and clear. A finger of white foam audibly fizzles down to a skim, leaving some spotty lace in the mug. There's a feeble skim across the surface that lasts for a little bit.

Metallic wet grain, corn sweetness, sulfurous malaise.

Bland and hollow, sweet corn flavor with club soda carbonation. Dry aftertaste, thankfully not overly sweet as some malt liquors can be. Papery, dry, wet grain husks and manila folders. Not overly carbonated, somewhat fizzy, designed for chugging basically. Some light astringency is there, but it finishes clean, which is somehow impressive in some small way. A safe budget buy, i've encountered much worse in this realm.

"...as I rewind my thoughts and reminisce, sippin' OE quarts..."
Shadez Of Brooklyn - Change

emerge077, Mar 24, 2011
2.4/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's been years since I cracked an OE. Here's to nostalgia - R.I.P. Nate Dogg. Back in '95, Regulators was playing in every corner of the 'hood all over Montana. Mount up...

Appearance is a golden blonde with a sickly white head that beats it faster than Nate Dogg and Warren G being chased by the Five-O. Smells like sugar and cooked corn -stale at first and as it warms up, like rotten vegetables. Hey, that's why this shit comes in small mouth 40oz bottles.

Flavor is mild - light grainy malt and corn flavors with a tolerable sweetness. Kind of bland, but generally with malt liquor that's a good thing. Body is light with heavy carbonation and a lingering aftertaste that clings to your mouth like an STD you pick up from one of the girls on 2-1 and Lewis.

Alright. I'll admit it - this isn't what I would consider a bad malt liquor. Just don't let it warm up.

GeezLynn, Mar 17, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This one is the Canadian 8% version.

golden straw color with medium carbonation. The head is off white tight one finger head

smell- It has a really sweet alcoholic smell and thats about it.

taste- Same as the taste its really sweet and alcoholic. pretty bad if you ask me.

mouthfeel- its a medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation

overall- What can you really say about this beer? Its pretty gross. If you want to get drunk for cheap then buy a olde English 800 thats all its good for.

steven9000, Mar 17, 2011
1.43/5  rDev -29.6%

No clue why i wasted my dollar on this 24 oz can, i think teenage nostalgia may have hit me at the wrong time while in the corner store...but here goes.

A- Its got golden diet ginger ale look to it with a big frothy head that flattens soon after appearing.

S- This has a stench of an old bar mat. Old, and stale. Malty and yucky.

T- Pale metal coins, pennies to be exact, a mouthfull of pennies.

M- light and watery

D- There is none, if you can make it through a glass of this, then youre a better man than me.

gabedivision, Mar 12, 2011
1.1/5  rDev -45.8%

Almost a four finger head with good clinging lace. Color is a 6 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is bad, much like rotten corn and wet oats. Taste is harsh, cooked corn and malt. Mouthfeel is bad, not much body and a very dry feeling on my upper palate. I am sure the beer was made for one thing. A cheap drunk. I guess after the first 24 oz you could drink another with no problem because your taste buds would be numb.

beerprovedwright, Feb 18, 2011
2.98/5  rDev +46.8%

Served out of a 40oz.

A- Brillianty clear, no head retention, dehydrated piss yellow color

S- Pilsner like noble hops aroma with a corn sweetness, also skunky smell. Smells like Indiananpolis 500 beer.

T- Highly carbonated, clean, dry, balanced with a corn sweetness.

M- Light bodied, dry, no creaminess

D- Very drinkable on a hot summer day at the Indy 500, in a canoe, on a pontoon, with your neighbor's 40 year old wife, ....you could play Edward 40-hands with this one.

thebierbrewery, Jan 29, 2011
2.83/5  rDev +39.4%

Bad beer Thursdays 2011, episode 3 -- Olde E!

Beer is yellow and clear with a nice soft white head and aggressive carbonation, head leaves lacing on the glass. Beer is totally clear. Looks like beer.

Aroma is light and weak with some pilsner sweetness. Eh...it's definitely not informative as an aroma.

Beer is cold....cold is a flavor right? Yeah, yeah it is. Beer is cold, grainy aftertaste, late acid astringency forward mild pilsner flavor. Beer is medium in body and I've definitely had worse, much much worse. I think it's the charcoal filtering that makes this beer superior to its peers. Beer is back heavy with little going on in the front but I should be able to finish this bottle.

drabmuh, Jan 21, 2011
3.13/5  rDev +54.2%

People are reviewing this like it's supposed to be a high quality craft micro-brew! STOP! It's malt liquor! Take it for what it's worth...

A side by side comparison of this to any other style of beer is rediculous....Malt liquor is in a class by itself, and should be reviewed for what it is, not what a well versed beer taster with an exceptional palate thinks a good beer should taste like...that being said:

Serving type: Consumed directly from a 40 ounce, clear bottle. I knew it was a"40 oz." because it stated that fact at least 3 times, in BIG font on the label!

A - Thick & yellow. Don't know about the head & lacing...pulled this one straight outta the 40oz. bottle.

S - Earthy like if you took wet corn husks and smelled them.

T - corn and sweet malt. Suprisingly clean finish compared to other Malt Liquors.

M - Very thin and watery when cold, thickens up and tastes like hay or wet grass as it warms. (that's why a 40oz. needs to be chugged!)

D - Smooth and tasty and tolerable as long as it's cold! It's engineered for a quick, cheap buzz...not to win medals! But in the "catch a good buzz on a budget" category....it deserves a Gold Medal!!!

MetalandBeer, Jan 12, 2011
2.48/5  rDev +22.2%

So this is malt liquor, I'm impressed, well not really. Taste like cheap adjuncts as expected, yet not that bad. Sweet corn is most noticable but some hops balance with it rather well. Simple corny smell.

Clear yellow in color and maintains a thin head throughout the drink leaving some lacing, to my shock. The mouthfeel is thin, in a cheap, trashy sort of way and the finish is smooth but not refreshing.

For a malt liqour, this is rather good, still I hated it but praise is deserved, considering the style.

Sachsenfreude, Jan 02, 2011
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.