Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
nickfl

2.78/5  rDev +36.3%

A - Pours with one finger of white head into a pint glass (this is the only time I have ever seen a malt liquor in a glass!). The foam settles rapidly and leaves no lace. The body is clear and golden-yellow.

S - Grainy corn aroma with just a hint of sweet malt. Otherwise clean; no hops and no yeast character.

T - Husky grain up front with corn and light malt notes. Some very light herbal hop flavor in the middle and a little bit of bitterness in the finish with more corn and malt.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a slightly dry finish.

D - The best thing I can say about this beer is that it hides its alcohol well. It is one of the smoother malt liquors and has a fairly clean malt profile with noticeable, but fairly inoffensive, corn notes. It is an efficient alcohol delivery system and if I had to drink a malt liquor, this would probably be my first choice.

10-22-2009 05:04:24 | More by nickfl
TheSarge

2.88/5  rDev +41.2%

Produces great head presentation of a fluffy white two finger thick head, and has outstanding lacing and retention. The body of the brew is gold, fizzy, and cleanly filtered.

In the nose it's corny and dextrin, but seems to have a decent lemon zest from the hops.

The taste is corny and grainy as to be expected. The added sugar is detectable too.

The mouth feel is decent in that it's not too dry and actually leaves the palate a little refreshed. The higher ABV is not really detectable through alcoholic warmness either.

Overall this is about the best malt liquor I've had. I wouldn't give this a great rating compared against a German or Czech Pilsner. It is what it is, and has its place.

09-23-2009 19:03:06 | More by TheSarge
drunkboxer1

2.53/5  rDev +24%

Poured from the bottle into my mouth. Smells a little "hot" and fuselly. Tastes the same. Theres a big corny aftertastes that kind of coats your tongue and sits there for a while. I wish it was a little more carbonated. Went ok with the chili dogs I was eating but frankly any other forty (besides perhaps Magnum or Evil Eye) would have gotten the job done and been less gross about it.

09-08-2009 14:15:38 | More by drunkboxer1
scottyshades

2.6/5  rDev +27.5%

Naturally I had to listen to Sublime's 40oz to Freedom and the Game's Old English while I review this monster. Although in FL 32oz is what I got...

A: Pours a transparent golden straw color which produces a bubbly fizzy head that is slightly off-white. Minor lacing

S: Very metallic nose. Slightly stronger than some of the other noses, with cereal, corn, and a sweet note, almost like corn flakes!

T: Similar to the nose, slightly less metallic than I expected, and also a little sweeter. Not terrible, but we won't see this ranked anytime soon

MF/D: Better carbonation than some others, light body for the style, lingering metallic sweetness.

08-27-2009 19:19:57 | More by scottyshades
twiggamortis420

2.58/5  rDev +26.5%

OE - used to drink it in fo-tays but now I think this tall boy can will be quite enough. Pours a clear, medium yellow color with a fluffy white head that fades really quick and only leaves a slight sheen behind.

Sweet malty nose, but nothing really offensive. Maybe a bit of metallic graininess. Actually smells pretty fresh.

Taste is pretty full-bodied and malty sweet. Hops are basically undetectable and carbonation level is fairly high. Hides the ABV well when cold...once it warms up though, all bets are off with this beer. It doesnt taste like a whole lot, but it is not unpleasant. Gimmie a foty of this and I'll play some bones.

07-29-2009 23:38:44 | More by twiggamortis420
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

2.13/5  rDev +4.4%

24 oz can into a Nonic. 08179 on bottom of can. Meh.

A - Clear straw yellow with bubbles going up to a fizzy yet well-maintained stark white head. Good retention but no lacing on the glass. Doesn't look half bad.

S - Cooked corn and fresh, dry straw populates the aroma. A light sweetness pairs with an incredibly light peach-like fruitiness.

T - Strong flavor of roasted corn and dry straw with a minimal fruitiness that is intertwined with the sweetness.

M - Slick and watery, this light-bodied malt beverage has a crisp feel with a sweet aftertaste and goes down with a moderate carbonation bite.

D - I don't understand the appeal of malt liquors. ABV and cheap price I suppose, however, it fails completely in flavor and drinkability. Well, not completely, but it's not good.
[I poured it out in favor of opening something else GOOD to rate.]

07-26-2009 23:49:05 | More by BeerFMAndy
DookDrinkyCrow

Maryland

3.65/5  rDev +78.9%

Appearance: looks like room temperature piss

Smell: Smells like oily greasy sidewalk

Taste: tastes like ghetto juice

Mouthfeel: feels like grits

Drinkability: After you chug one down, you always have room for another!

Don't take my review the wrong way, "Old Gold" is a traditional part of my beer drinking life. I have consumed more of these 40's than probably any other beer on the planet. For a price tag under 2.50 this is a no brainer. Party at my house, bring some OE

07-11-2009 18:52:48 | More by DookDrinkyCrow
thekevlarkid

Maryland

2.98/5  rDev +46.1%

Out of a mutha-F-ing forty this beer was a gold color with good clarity. My aggressive pour created a three-finger white head that displayed pretty good retention that eventually became a thin collar that left good lacing. The aroma was of macro-grains, something like wet cardboard, a little musty malt and pale malt. The flavors were actually pretty good for a malt liquor. Macro grains, some sweet malt, a little pale malt and some stale notes too. Touches of bitterness did appear at the end but it was not really hoppy, crisp or defined. The mouthfeel was a little oily and rough, the body was medium and the carbonation prickly. Yes, it was a malt liquor so it could only be so good, but straight up, I was down with it.

07-06-2009 21:37:46 | More by thekevlarkid
tpd975

2.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Drinking this one to get the style rate and for no other reason. I consumed tons of this stuff in high school. We would buy 64 ouncers and two would plow me for the night.

Here's to Old Time's sake.

A: Pours a clear yellow with a white fizzy head. No retention or lace.

S: Very corn like, chemicals, and cheap malt sweetness.

T: A bit bitter up front. Corny grainy malt sweetness in the middle. Doughy bready finish with a bit more cheap grassy hops.

M: Medium in body, fizzy, okay carbonation.

D: Nah, I remember the days that I drank this every weekend. Boy have I come a long way.

07-06-2009 15:41:51 | More by tpd975
Moontang

Ontario (Canada)

2.85/5  rDev +39.7%

I drank this poured into an old-fashioned size glass from a can.

Appearance:
Nothing remarkable, a pale golden yellow, with a head that dissipates rapidly and does not leave much lacing.

Smell:
Barely detectable, slightly grainy and smoky.

Taste:
Unremarkable. A bitter, hoppy start, which the colour doesn't suggest, and an understated grainy finish, which is slightly sweet. As I prefer lighter beers, this doesn't really appeal to me, but I could see others with different tastes enjoying it.

Drinkability:
I could see myself drinking this in large quantities if there was nothing else available. It isn't awful, but overall not impressive. I would not seek it out, but I would accept it if offered.

06-14-2009 21:54:57 | More by Moontang
tone77

3.13/5  rDev +53.4%

Poured from a clear bottle into a weizen glass. Has a rich golden color with about 1/2 inch head. Weak malt smell. The taste is malty and not all that great. Feels somewhat bitter in the mouth. Drinkability is o.k. I guess. This is a beer I drank a lot of in my youth but don't care for so much now.

06-09-2009 22:35:24 | More by tone77
Rootdog316

1.58/5  rDev -22.5%

This is not a very good malt liquor at all. Don't be fooled by the decent head and color, the taste and aroma are not good. The mouthfeel is almost wine like. Very strong adjunct flavor. I'm not a big fan of malt in the first place, but OE should certainly be stuffed in a brown paper bag when being consumed to not embarrass one self. Not recommended unless you are trying to end the night quick.

05-04-2009 21:46:34 | More by Rootdog316
biggred1

Indiana

Thanks to Chris for hooking me up with this golden pint sized can of "800". Pale yellow with a huge foamy white head that leaves some lace after deflating. Smell is pure steely grits and not much else. Tastes sweet and corny with a slight, bitter metallic edge. Medium bodied and highly carbonated. Fairly inoffensive and pretty average Malt Liquor. Not bad, but it does get pretty funky when it warms up a bit.

04-24-2009 02:07:05 | More by biggred1
Spikester

Oregon

3.45/5  rDev +69.1%

Pours clear deep gold with a fair white head and amazing lacings. Aroma is malty and some corniness. Taste is very malty, bready, some wine like qualities, and just a hint of hop bitters. These products seem to be all about the malts. In my amateur explorations of the genre I think the best tasting MLs are at or below 6% abv. The rest develop a following for the easy drinkability and the effects on the brain. This brew is slightly in between the two extremes. Decent taste for the style and a good amount of alcohol. Not one I plan on having again unless getting drunk quickly is the objective. You can taste the Miller family resemblance as it reminds me of a Miller High Life that has more malts added until the 7.5% abv is achieved.

Edit 4/29/2014. I wanted to make clear we get a 7.5% OE 800 in Oregon. It is not labeled "HG" either. From a 24 ounce can.

04-09-2009 05:37:47 | More by Spikester
Beernoisseur

Utah

1.38/5  rDev -32.4%

OE800. Ghetto juice. I didn't get the right presentation because I didn't get a 40 of this, just a can.

A - Coppery yellow. Actually a bit of lacing and head retention. the color is somehow too fresh pee-like to be appealing to me.

S - discordance. Citric and nasty metallic. other than that, there are subtle grains and corn.

T - Gross watery weirdness. Nothing is complimentary, just harsh grainy flavors all clamoring over one another for your attention. it's like a fight in my mouth. Maybe that's why this beer is a precursor for so many ghetto brawls.

M - Watery. harsh carbonation.

D - I don't like this at all. I never will drink this again.

04-04-2009 23:54:26 | More by Beernoisseur
tlinner

Well, I knew what I was getting into with this. I felt like trying a 40, just to see what it was like. Of course, I wasn't surprised. At first, it's almost like a standard macro, maybe even a European lager like Heineken or Becks. Unfortunately, it funks up at the end, leaving an awful aftertaste. Cheap, crappy beer best served only for the most dire of circumstances. If you're this broke, I suggest saving up for some High Life. Yes, it's that bad.

04-03-2009 23:38:56 | More by tlinner
shanem

Vermont

1.55/5  rDev -24%

looks and tastes pretty bad. clear yellow, not much flavor... tastes like an old skunked or spoiled beer. but the smell is real bad...almost musty, like an old locked up attic. at least it's pretty light and VERY cheap and is usually worth a good laugh or two. Good for fun, not for beer

04-01-2009 16:19:14 | More by shanem
yuenglings

2.28/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Very clear light yellow small head with some retention

S: Has a skunky sweet corn smell

T: Not very good starts with sour corn and ends with strong alcohol like after taste

M: A bit watery and very coarse at the end

D: Hey if its free and the only thing im lookin for is to get drunk then ok mabey i will have a some but if for some reason im buting malt liquor i have to go with mickey's and that ain't that great it self

03-16-2009 20:01:38 | More by yuenglings
fingerlaker

1.35/5  rDev -33.8%

If you hate yourself...

Let's get straight to it- this is terrible stuff. Opening up the clear bottle the force carbonation dissipates quickly. The smell is acrid and nauseating, of corn and carrots(?)

Taste is a weak and anemic malt- like high-fructose corn syrup beer-soda and then a vomit-inducing amount of alcohol. That is the flavor. Sweet then alcohol.

I would only recommend this stuff if (a) your wife left you or (b) you lost your job and either way just need something to kill the pain and not cost a lot.

03-15-2009 01:13:10 | More by fingerlaker
wiseguy142

2.28/5  rDev +11.8%

Shiny yellow. Frothy, soapy head. Aroma of sour corn and light malt. Taste is predominantly adjuncts with a fairly decent amount of malt. I really don't have much of a problem with this beer, even though it's bad. Slick, oily mouthfeel. This is not a beer you savor.

A great accompanyment to some XBOX playing if you're just looking to drink. It's not craft beer, but it is a lot of beer.

03-07-2009 02:19:50 | More by wiseguy142
Amalak

1.63/5  rDev -20.1%

I was at a party and a friend brought a 40 of Olde E, so I figured that I might as well try some, so I could rate it, and not have to pay for it. It was as clear as they come, no real head, smelt kind of sour.

The taste wasn't as bad as I expected. I've certainly have had worse. But this is just not my kind of beer.

02-11-2009 04:30:44 | More by Amalak
BrewMaven

1.73/5  rDev -15.2%

Part of the bi-annual "Ghetto Brew" night at a friends house.

Pour? Ha..we slug it from the bottle and since the bottle is clear I can tell you this is a morning pee gold brew.

Smells like a marinade of adjuncty grains.

Taste was the worst part of this thing..Some sour corn and a bit of an odd metal taste at times.

Moderate carbonation...Basically liquid hell in a 40oz bottle. About a third got drain poured.

02-09-2009 17:52:15 | More by BrewMaven
Vancer

1.93/5  rDev -5.4%

I got this as a joke, since I'm the "beer guy". Welp, jokes on them, here's the review!

Hey! The big ol' 2X4 can with the $1.19 sticker on it produces a decent pour into the Bitburger pilsner glass - clear straw with a surprising eggshell white foamy head, thick sheet of lace.

Corny husks in the aroma, just not much there. Now for the quaff. Ton's of corn, bits of veggies, all backed with a metallic finish. No alcohol burn or taste.

Not to good of a beer, and surely not something I would get again, but overall a malt liquor that I was able to finish. But finish it before it warms at all.

02-06-2009 01:45:54 | More by Vancer
tbeck

Washington

2.3/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a pale golden yellow with a thick white head. Very clear. Develops a decent collar and a slight laciness. Aroma is very simple, barley and malt. Taste follows the same concept although it has a very metallic taste that is offensive. Thin and watery texture. Drinkability is not hight on my list. Although it is not a terrible beer it is not one I would seek out for drinking around the house on a warm day. Not recommended as a session beer.

02-02-2009 01:14:50 | More by tbeck
miesvanderrohe

look. admittedly, this is cheap beer. but it serves a purpose, and i feel it does its job very well. this is the best 40 money can buy. sure, it's not a triple-fermented ale made by belgian monks who have taken an oath of silence, but that doesn't mean its not enjoyable. this is all some people can afford. and if old e is all they can afford, don't you think they should be able to drink in peace without beer snobs looking down their noses at them? i love a good belgian tripel, but beer is beer.

01-31-2009 15:56:40 | More by miesvanderrohe
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.