Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev +27.5%

Let me say how excited I am to drink this beer. I bought it from the most hood corner store that I could find to ensure optimum freshness. Stamped with AUG2211 on bottle.

Served in a tulip glass, then straight out of the 40 bottle.

A. If I could make a beer this clear, I would be ecstatic. Light yellow with a constant stream of bubbles. More head than I would have expected, disspiates quickly leaving a thin "puck" on the surface of the brew. I appreciate the fine taper that they put on the top of the bottle to accommodate drinking straight from the bottle. They really thought of everything here.

S. Smells like cheap lager. Smells grainy/husky and maybe a little like corn; it smells sweet. I swear there's some kind of noble hop character in the background as well.

T. Very, very sweet. Finishes with a strong corn and husky grain flavor. More flavor than I expected really.

M. Extremely light bodied and very high carbonation. It's not as high as something like Orval, though.

D. If you can drink 40 oz of it, then it's very drinkable.

For my first 40, I'm very impressed. This is the stuff of legend, and has a long heritage of rappers who have consumed it. I can now proudly count myself among their ranks.

devilishprune, Apr 02, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -20.1%

Continuing on my self-punishment tour of some of the worst brews ever, I take myself to a true hobo classic... the Olde English tallboy.

Drank straight up out of the 24oz can.

S: Smells like old stale macro on first whiff. I am not exaggerating. You know the smell of old beer that has sat out overnight after a party and you have to clean it up the morning after? That's what this is like. Slight sweetness, alcohol and metallic twang to bring it all together into one horrific package.

T: Kind of bitter, kind of sweet. A chore to swallow. Not too heavy on the alcohol but somehow it still burns. Consider it a perk, or part of the experience. Lingers on the palate like a bad cigarette.

Overall: Not something I'll ever subject myself to again. There are way better means of getting trashed than this, and though it's cheap, it's not at all worth the gagging and self loathing.

BucBasil, Mar 31, 2011
4.48/5  rDev +119.6%

Golden Standard:
This is the golden standard in malt liquor. It is the malt liquor against which all others are compared. How this came about, I don't know, but it is a damn good malt liquor. It is not necessarily the best in the category, but it is the one that I shall compare all others in the category against and so far, it is the best I have had. Except when I tried to chug one that was only mildly chilled while sitting in my car before a concert, I have always enjoyed this brew.

On another note, it sets the standard in ensuring that malt liquor labels contain random words or graphics that don't seem to make any sense. Why is it 800? What is 800 about it? And why is it required that "800" be in quotation marks? Is it to prevent the consumer from thinking that the product contains actual 800? Wouldn't want anyone to make that mistake. Could lead to lawsuits.

The Review:
Though the preferred serving vessel for this particular brew is the 40 oz. bottle, I opted to use a pint glass just for fun. It pours a very nice golden colour with a one inch head that disappears once you start drinking. The taste is exactly what I want in a malt liquor. It has a dominant note of corn nuts. Corn definitely plays a large role in this beer. It is not at all bitter. There are little to no hops in this beer. It is sweet, but by no means overly sweet. This malt liquor is exactly the right degree of sweet. The fusel aftertaste is barely noticeable. It has a DEFINITE aftertaste, but it tastes mostly of corn and alcohol. Despite the corn taste, there are definitely other ingredients in the malt. It has a cheap malt flavour that adds texture to the dominant corn flavour.

With each consecutive sip I take, I feel better. This truly is the perfect malt liquor. If you like that mildly sweet, corn-heavy malt flavour, uninhibited by hops and you like getting drunk and feeling all right, this is the malt liquor for you. This is something you can easily get used to. It doesn't make getting drunk a chore like high gravity beers. This beer is EASY, but not watery. It's a taste you can learn to love. So far, best malt liquor I've tried. In addition, it's better than most beers in its price range if you want taste and not just water. If you're not a fan of hops (and I'm not), I'd even put it above many beers that are well above it in price range. Four big thumbs up. Wait, no, five....three? How many thumbs do I have? They're looking a little hazy.
One downside to this beer is like all malt liquors it starts to feel a little nasty and overly sweet towards the end, even if kept well chilled throughout the experience. However, compared to other malt liquors, I'd say this one exhibits that problem the least. And if you have a little food to eat with it towards the end, that problems disappears entirely. Bottoms up!

ElCommodoro, Mar 26, 2011
2.48/5  rDev +21.6%

22 oz. bottle, "JUL2511" screened on the neck.

Pale straw gold, bright and clear. A finger of white foam audibly fizzles down to a skim, leaving some spotty lace in the mug. There's a feeble skim across the surface that lasts for a little bit.

Metallic wet grain, corn sweetness, sulfurous malaise.

Bland and hollow, sweet corn flavor with club soda carbonation. Dry aftertaste, thankfully not overly sweet as some malt liquors can be. Papery, dry, wet grain husks and manila folders. Not overly carbonated, somewhat fizzy, designed for chugging basically. Some light astringency is there, but it finishes clean, which is somehow impressive in some small way. A safe budget buy, i've encountered much worse in this realm.

"...as I rewind my thoughts and reminisce, sippin' OE quarts..."
Shadez Of Brooklyn - Change

emerge077, Mar 24, 2011
2.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's been years since I cracked an OE. Here's to nostalgia - R.I.P. Nate Dogg. Back in '95, Regulators was playing in every corner of the 'hood all over Montana. Mount up...

Appearance is a golden blonde with a sickly white head that beats it faster than Nate Dogg and Warren G being chased by the Five-O. Smells like sugar and cooked corn -stale at first and as it warms up, like rotten vegetables. Hey, that's why this shit comes in small mouth 40oz bottles.

Flavor is mild - light grainy malt and corn flavors with a tolerable sweetness. Kind of bland, but generally with malt liquor that's a good thing. Body is light with heavy carbonation and a lingering aftertaste that clings to your mouth like an STD you pick up from one of the girls on 2-1 and Lewis.

Alright. I'll admit it - this isn't what I would consider a bad malt liquor. Just don't let it warm up.

GeezLynn, Mar 17, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This one is the Canadian 8% version.

golden straw color with medium carbonation. The head is off white tight one finger head

smell- It has a really sweet alcoholic smell and thats about it.

taste- Same as the taste its really sweet and alcoholic. pretty bad if you ask me.

mouthfeel- its a medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation

overall- What can you really say about this beer? Its pretty gross. If you want to get drunk for cheap then buy a olde English 800 thats all its good for.

steven9000, Mar 17, 2011
1.43/5  rDev -29.9%

No clue why i wasted my dollar on this 24 oz can, i think teenage nostalgia may have hit me at the wrong time while in the corner store...but here goes.

A- Its got golden diet ginger ale look to it with a big frothy head that flattens soon after appearing.

S- This has a stench of an old bar mat. Old, and stale. Malty and yucky.

T- Pale metal coins, pennies to be exact, a mouthfull of pennies.

M- light and watery

D- There is none, if you can make it through a glass of this, then youre a better man than me.

gabedivision, Mar 12, 2011
1.1/5  rDev -46.1%

Almost a four finger head with good clinging lace. Color is a 6 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is bad, much like rotten corn and wet oats. Taste is harsh, cooked corn and malt. Mouthfeel is bad, not much body and a very dry feeling on my upper palate. I am sure the beer was made for one thing. A cheap drunk. I guess after the first 24 oz you could drink another with no problem because your taste buds would be numb.

beerprovedwright, Feb 18, 2011
2.98/5  rDev +46.1%

Served out of a 40oz.

A- Brillianty clear, no head retention, dehydrated piss yellow color

S- Pilsner like noble hops aroma with a corn sweetness, also skunky smell. Smells like Indiananpolis 500 beer.

T- Highly carbonated, clean, dry, balanced with a corn sweetness.

M- Light bodied, dry, no creaminess

D- Very drinkable on a hot summer day at the Indy 500, in a canoe, on a pontoon, with your neighbor's 40 year old wife, ....you could play Edward 40-hands with this one.

thebierbrewery, Jan 29, 2011
2.83/5  rDev +38.7%

Bad beer Thursdays 2011, episode 3 -- Olde E!

Beer is yellow and clear with a nice soft white head and aggressive carbonation, head leaves lacing on the glass. Beer is totally clear. Looks like beer.

Aroma is light and weak with some pilsner sweetness. Eh...it's definitely not informative as an aroma.

Beer is cold....cold is a flavor right? Yeah, yeah it is. Beer is cold, grainy aftertaste, late acid astringency forward mild pilsner flavor. Beer is medium in body and I've definitely had worse, much much worse. I think it's the charcoal filtering that makes this beer superior to its peers. Beer is back heavy with little going on in the front but I should be able to finish this bottle.

drabmuh, Jan 21, 2011
3.13/5  rDev +53.4%

People are reviewing this like it's supposed to be a high quality craft micro-brew! STOP! It's malt liquor! Take it for what it's worth...

A side by side comparison of this to any other style of beer is rediculous....Malt liquor is in a class by itself, and should be reviewed for what it is, not what a well versed beer taster with an exceptional palate thinks a good beer should taste like...that being said:

Serving type: Consumed directly from a 40 ounce, clear bottle. I knew it was a"40 oz." because it stated that fact at least 3 times, in BIG font on the label!

A - Thick & yellow. Don't know about the head & lacing...pulled this one straight outta the 40oz. bottle.

S - Earthy like if you took wet corn husks and smelled them.

T - corn and sweet malt. Suprisingly clean finish compared to other Malt Liquors.

M - Very thin and watery when cold, thickens up and tastes like hay or wet grass as it warms. (that's why a 40oz. needs to be chugged!)

D - Smooth and tasty and tolerable as long as it's cold! It's engineered for a quick, cheap buzz...not to win medals! But in the "catch a good buzz on a budget" category....it deserves a Gold Medal!!!

MetalandBeer, Jan 12, 2011
2.48/5  rDev +21.6%

So this is malt liquor, I'm impressed, well not really. Taste like cheap adjuncts as expected, yet not that bad. Sweet corn is most noticable but some hops balance with it rather well. Simple corny smell.

Clear yellow in color and maintains a thin head throughout the drink leaving some lacing, to my shock. The mouthfeel is thin, in a cheap, trashy sort of way and the finish is smooth but not refreshing.

For a malt liqour, this is rather good, still I hated it but praise is deserved, considering the style.

Sachsenfreude, Jan 02, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +90.2%

I was hesitant to try this brew because of the simple fact that it was a malt liquor. I had heard from people that malt liquor is disgusting and should never be consumed by anybody anywhere. But I decided that letting other people tell me what to drink was foolish. so I went to the store, picked up a 40 of OE, and tried it. it looked golden and basically like other domestic beers I have had. The smell was what made me start to think twice about it. it smelled almost exactly like a skunks ass. I slowly put the bottle to my lips and tipped it back a little. Not bad, I thought, so I took a big swill and swished it around in my mouth a little. It was the best cheap brew I had ever had. I quickly finished it in about 25 minutes and had a good strong buzz from it. The only thing I think Miller could improve about OE is the smell. other than that its a great cheap brew.

MickeysnOE, Jan 02, 2011
2.33/5  rDev +14.2%

Another malt liquor for my out of the mystery beer machine. This one was slightly better than the Steel Reserve but not much. I actually wasn't even aware that this was made in 12oz cans. I thought it was only available in 40s. Not a bad beer, but I don't think I could drink too many of them in one sitting. Good if you want to get messed up, but not if you want to enjoy a beer.

richkrull, Dec 30, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +77.9%

24 oz. can poured into a pint glass. A rare visit to the Malt Liquor world I figured I'd see what this beverage is all about. Pours your standard clear straw in color, perhaps a bit more golden than many a Macro brew. Shows a better than average cap and lacing as well.

Nose is grainy and with a hint of citric hop to it. Corn notes are largely absent, emerging somewhat as the beer warms a bit along with some yeast notes.

Taste is slightly sweet but with no other defining characteristics to speak of. Perhaps again a hint of citric malt. Feel is creamy and with a bright carbonation which keeps a surface cap throughout the pour.

Not having a reference point for the style per se, I think this beer drinks fairly well and doesn't seem to deserve its bad rap. Certainly more enjoyable than an Adjunct Lager. My can was firmly carbonated and offered a notably better than anticipated experience.

HalfFull, Dec 27, 2010
1.75/5  rDev -14.2%

This beer has a disturbing copper color. The aroma is like rubbing alcohol/cleaning products. The beer is overcarbonated and pours horribly. This beer is strong malt liquor. It is very popular in ghetto areas, mostly being sold in the ghetto. This is a perfect example of beer coming in 40 oz. bottles being no good. Stay away from this.

ronniebruner, Dec 19, 2010
1.8/5  rDev -11.8%

I did not care from this out of a CAN a couple of years ago, but it still elicits amusing memories for me from my misspent youth. I might have dared a full 40 were it not for my local also having 22's for sale.

I got a little better than a finger of fizzy bone-white head that seemed to be falling as fast as I could pour, ending with a bunch of wisps. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. In fact, this kind of thing is the gold standard for clarity. Nose was candy sweet, like bubble gum and even some fusel alcohol. Ugh. A 22 may be more than enough for this old man. Mouthfeel was medium with a sugary sweetness in the mouth. I imagine that if you took a bag of sugar and stirred it into a liquid medium until it became saturated, this would be what it would taste like. The finish was fairly dry with a burning sensation going down. Man, this is evil. I was intimidated by such things as a kid, but now I am just disgusted.

woodychandler, Dec 13, 2010
1.53/5  rDev -25%

run away as fast as you can.

i'd never tried malt liquor before, and thought it'd be "fun" to get a 40 of something just to try it out. mistake. there very well may be better ones to get in this category, but olde english 800 doesn't give me much hope.

A - copper colour. looks like it could possibly be nice. you can tell it's going to be pretty malty and in your face.

S - this is the best part of the beer. but it's a trap.

T - just awful. really really really bad. seriously. super malty, nothing else. tastes really... OLD. leaves a terrible taste in your mouth. i'm about 1/6 through with mine and i am pretty much done.

M - nothing really to speak of here. tastes so bad you don't really want to keep it in your mouth long enough to "feel" it.

D - none to speak of.

i only spent $5 on this 40oz/1.18L bottle, and i feel a little ripped off. but oh well, lesson learned.

the bottom line is: don't even bother.

gross.

exnx, Dec 11, 2010
1.25/5  rDev -38.7%

Appearance: Good head with some retention. The beer has a terrible copper color

Smell: This beers only smell is metallic. It's heavier on the malts than the hops.

Taste: This beer is mainly bitter and salty. It isn't very flavorful and it doesn't finish well. It leaves a dry aftertaste in the back of my throat. This beer is built poorly like a slackers weekend soapbox derby project. I feel like somebody just dumped the ingredients into a metal pot and went to catch a smoke. There is no love for beer in this product. It's just there to get drunk on. Olde English is one of the worst beers in the American macro malt liquor category

Mouthfeel: Slippery and watery. It doesn't have any body and I am forcing myself to swallow it. This beer is flat out of the can and doesn't have any carbonation. I suppose this is a trait of High Gravity beer, unfortunately carbonation might be the only thing that makes this beer drinkable

Drinkability: This beer isn't drinkable. Its unpleasant and leaves a terrible aftertaste. Avoid this beer.

BerkeleyBeerMan, Dec 08, 2010
1.05/5  rDev -48.5%

Reviewed from notes. Drank on 10/22. Split with others.

Straw yellow with a small head with poor retention. Looks very unappealing. Smells of cooked corn and veggies. Why did I agree to have some of this?

Tastes like cooked corn, veggies, and there is a metallic taste which I could do without. This is really bad. Why did I waste my time on this?

High carbonation, harsh to drink, just complete and total swill. Don't waste your time. Stay away from this one.

hardy008, Oct 25, 2010
1.15/5  rDev -43.6%

A- Kind of a dirty brown-amber color.

S- Smells like skunky yeast.

T- I only tasted this stuff because it was gaming nite and one of my buddies bought some. I figured what the hell, why not try some? It was pretty bad, it tasted like coors light with stale french fries in it.

D- It is not smooth at all, you gotta force this stuff down.

SodoSyco, Oct 21, 2010
2.73/5  rDev +33.8%

I had Hurricane High Gravity a couple days ago and named it "Worst.Beer.Ever"
So, let's see how this Old English lays out...

A - Typical macro crystal clear straw yellow. Nice fluffy head that sticks around for a while with great lacing.

S - The smell of wet hay and warm underarm body odor. Not much else.

T - I'm quite surprised. It tastes like any of the big macro beer. After drinking the Hurricane High Gravity, I was sure I made another mistake, purchasing this OE...but it's not THAT bad. Tastes of corn and sweet malt with a clear finish.

M - Very thin and watery

D - At 7 1/2 percent abv, it's quite a surprise it didn't come off tasting like booze. If you're looking for a cheap drunk (like a homeless man) then this'll get you there no problem...and you won't have to have a chaser with it.

Transatlantic, Oct 18, 2010
1.65/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yeah, I'm really drinking OE. It's hard for me to believe too. This was what to drink when you wanted to get wasted, get in a fight, break up with your girlfriend, chuck a bike into a pool and wake up oblivious the next morning. And here I am.

Remarkable, almost scary clarity here, with a quickly disintingrating head and plenty of carbonation bubbles. The smell is wheaty, corny, and messy. I'll be honest, I threw this one down my throat to avoid the taste but it will not be denied. The aftertaste of rancid corn and dry sawdust come creeping back to your tongue like the unkillable monster in a horror movie. Mouthfeel is thin and a little soapy. The stomach doesn't care for this any more than the taste buds do.

This is terrible but as a malt liquor it has certain advantages in that it is expected to taste like roadkill scrotum. Hey, if you want to get banged up once in a while (and who doesn't?),well, this stuff is a really cheap way to do it.

daliandragon, Oct 15, 2010
1.5/5  rDev -26.5%

Another generally poor beer.
Pours a sickly thin light straw color with a thin white head, no lacing. Smells of wet hay, rotten corn stalks, booze, and general nastiness. Tastes like corn, sweetness, and nasty booze. Mouthfeel is very thin, too thin. And drinkability is poor.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 11, 2010
2.48/5  rDev +21.6%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

The sixth entry in Swill Tour 2010. I'm really not sure why the 800 is in quotes, nor do I know to what it refers. Possibly the 800 lives it has already claimed (pour some to the curb...or, as we believe, down the drain in remembrance). It pours a clear pale straw (deeper than the AALs we've had so far) topped by an ample coif of white foam. The nose is corny, but less so than light AALs. Not much else there, honestly. I wish I could say more. The taste is liquefied Corn Flakes mixed with the tears of the masses. Mike referred to it as sorrow and corn. What calamity hath befallen this corn. The body is a sorta heavy light, with a light moderate carbonation and a badly crisp feel. This is indeed booty sweat, Mike.

TMoney2591, Sep 27, 2010
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.