Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 908 | Reviews: 301
2.38/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's been years since I cracked an OE. Here's to nostalgia - R.I.P. Nate Dogg. Back in '95, Regulators was playing in every corner of the 'hood all over Montana. Mount up...

Appearance is a golden blonde with a sickly white head that beats it faster than Nate Dogg and Warren G being chased by the Five-O. Smells like sugar and cooked corn -stale at first and as it warms up, like rotten vegetables. Hey, that's why this shit comes in small mouth 40oz bottles.

Flavor is mild - light grainy malt and corn flavors with a tolerable sweetness. Kind of bland, but generally with malt liquor that's a good thing. Body is light with heavy carbonation and a lingering aftertaste that clings to your mouth like an STD you pick up from one of the girls on 2-1 and Lewis.

Alright. I'll admit it - this isn't what I would consider a bad malt liquor. Just don't let it warm up.

1.66/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This one is the Canadian 8% version.

golden straw color with medium carbonation. The head is off white tight one finger head

smell- It has a really sweet alcoholic smell and thats about it.

taste- Same as the taste its really sweet and alcoholic. pretty bad if you ask me.

mouthfeel- its a medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation

overall- What can you really say about this beer? Its pretty gross. If you want to get drunk for cheap then buy a olde English 800 thats all its good for.

1.44/5  rDev -29.1%

No clue why i wasted my dollar on this 24 oz can, i think teenage nostalgia may have hit me at the wrong time while in the corner store...but here goes.

A- Its got golden diet ginger ale look to it with a big frothy head that flattens soon after appearing.

S- This has a stench of an old bar mat. Old, and stale. Malty and yucky.

T- Pale metal coins, pennies to be exact, a mouthfull of pennies.

M- light and watery

D- There is none, if you can make it through a glass of this, then youre a better man than me.

1.11/5  rDev -45.3%

Almost a four finger head with good clinging lace. Color is a 6 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is bad, much like rotten corn and wet oats. Taste is harsh, cooked corn and malt. Mouthfeel is bad, not much body and a very dry feeling on my upper palate. I am sure the beer was made for one thing. A cheap drunk. I guess after the first 24 oz you could drink another with no problem because your taste buds would be numb.

2.94/5  rDev +44.8%

Served out of a 40oz.

A- Brillianty clear, no head retention, dehydrated piss yellow color

S- Pilsner like noble hops aroma with a corn sweetness, also skunky smell. Smells like Indiananpolis 500 beer.

T- Highly carbonated, clean, dry, balanced with a corn sweetness.

M- Light bodied, dry, no creaminess

D- Very drinkable on a hot summer day at the Indy 500, in a canoe, on a pontoon, with your neighbor's 40 year old wife, ....you could play Edward 40-hands with this one.

2.82/5  rDev +38.9%

Bad beer Thursdays 2011, episode 3 -- Olde E!

Beer is yellow and clear with a nice soft white head and aggressive carbonation, head leaves lacing on the glass. Beer is totally clear. Looks like beer.

Aroma is light and weak with some pilsner sweetness. Eh...it's definitely not informative as an aroma.

Beer is cold....cold is a flavor right? Yeah, yeah it is. Beer is cold, grainy aftertaste, late acid astringency forward mild pilsner flavor. Beer is medium in body and I've definitely had worse, much much worse. I think it's the charcoal filtering that makes this beer superior to its peers. Beer is back heavy with little going on in the front but I should be able to finish this bottle.

3.08/5  rDev +51.7%

People are reviewing this like it's supposed to be a high quality craft micro-brew! STOP! It's malt liquor! Take it for what it's worth...

A side by side comparison of this to any other style of beer is rediculous....Malt liquor is in a class by itself, and should be reviewed for what it is, not what a well versed beer taster with an exceptional palate thinks a good beer should taste like...that being said:

Serving type: Consumed directly from a 40 ounce, clear bottle. I knew it was a"40 oz." because it stated that fact at least 3 times, in BIG font on the label!

A - Thick & yellow. Don't know about the head & lacing...pulled this one straight outta the 40oz. bottle.

S - Earthy like if you took wet corn husks and smelled them.

T - corn and sweet malt. Suprisingly clean finish compared to other Malt Liquors.

M - Very thin and watery when cold, thickens up and tastes like hay or wet grass as it warms. (that's why a 40oz. needs to be chugged!)

D - Smooth and tasty and tolerable as long as it's cold! It's engineered for a quick, cheap buzz...not to win medals! But in the "catch a good buzz on a budget" category....it deserves a Gold Medal!!!

2.42/5  rDev +19.2%

So this is malt liquor, I'm impressed, well not really. Taste like cheap adjuncts as expected, yet not that bad. Sweet corn is most noticable but some hops balance with it rather well. Simple corny smell.

Clear yellow in color and maintains a thin head throughout the drink leaving some lacing, to my shock. The mouthfeel is thin, in a cheap, trashy sort of way and the finish is smooth but not refreshing.

For a malt liqour, this is rather good, still I hated it but praise is deserved, considering the style.

3.76/5  rDev +85.2%

I was hesitant to try this brew because of the simple fact that it was a malt liquor. I had heard from people that malt liquor is disgusting and should never be consumed by anybody anywhere. But I decided that letting other people tell me what to drink was foolish. so I went to the store, picked up a 40 of OE, and tried it. it looked golden and basically like other domestic beers I have had. The smell was what made me start to think twice about it. it smelled almost exactly like a skunks ass. I slowly put the bottle to my lips and tipped it back a little. Not bad, I thought, so I took a big swill and swished it around in my mouth a little. It was the best cheap brew I had ever had. I quickly finished it in about 25 minutes and had a good strong buzz from it. The only thing I think Miller could improve about OE is the smell. other than that its a great cheap brew.

2.31/5  rDev +13.8%

Another malt liquor for my out of the mystery beer machine. This one was slightly better than the Steel Reserve but not much. I actually wasn't even aware that this was made in 12oz cans. I thought it was only available in 40s. Not a bad beer, but I don't think I could drink too many of them in one sitting. Good if you want to get messed up, but not if you want to enjoy a beer.

3.65/5  rDev +79.8%

24 oz. can poured into a pint glass. A rare visit to the Malt Liquor world I figured I'd see what this beverage is all about. Pours your standard clear straw in color, perhaps a bit more golden than many a Macro brew. Shows a better than average cap and lacing as well.

Nose is grainy and with a hint of citric hop to it. Corn notes are largely absent, emerging somewhat as the beer warms a bit along with some yeast notes.

Taste is slightly sweet but with no other defining characteristics to speak of. Perhaps again a hint of citric malt. Feel is creamy and with a bright carbonation which keeps a surface cap throughout the pour.

Not having a reference point for the style per se, I think this beer drinks fairly well and doesn't seem to deserve its bad rap. Certainly more enjoyable than an Adjunct Lager. My can was firmly carbonated and offered a notably better than anticipated experience.

1.73/5  rDev -14.8%

This beer has a disturbing copper color. The aroma is like rubbing alcohol/cleaning products. The beer is overcarbonated and pours horribly. This beer is strong malt liquor. It is very popular in ghetto areas, mostly being sold in the ghetto. This is a perfect example of beer coming in 40 oz. bottles being no good. Stay away from this.

1.78/5  rDev -12.3%

I did not care from this out of a CAN a couple of years ago, but it still elicits amusing memories for me from my misspent youth. I might have dared a full 40 were it not for my local also having 22's for sale.

I got a little better than a finger of fizzy bone-white head that seemed to be falling as fast as I could pour, ending with a bunch of wisps. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. In fact, this kind of thing is the gold standard for clarity. Nose was candy sweet, like bubble gum and even some fusel alcohol. Ugh. A 22 may be more than enough for this old man. Mouthfeel was medium with a sugary sweetness in the mouth. I imagine that if you took a bag of sugar and stirred it into a liquid medium until it became saturated, this would be what it would taste like. The finish was fairly dry with a burning sensation going down. Man, this is evil. I was intimidated by such things as a kid, but now I am just disgusted.

1.62/5  rDev -20.2%

run away as fast as you can.

i'd never tried malt liquor before, and thought it'd be "fun" to get a 40 of something just to try it out. mistake. there very well may be better ones to get in this category, but olde english 800 doesn't give me much hope.

A - copper colour. looks like it could possibly be nice. you can tell it's going to be pretty malty and in your face.

S - this is the best part of the beer. but it's a trap.

T - just awful. really really really bad. seriously. super malty, nothing else. tastes really... OLD. leaves a terrible taste in your mouth. i'm about 1/6 through with mine and i am pretty much done.

M - nothing really to speak of here. tastes so bad you don't really want to keep it in your mouth long enough to "feel" it.

D - none to speak of.

i only spent $5 on this 40oz/1.18L bottle, and i feel a little ripped off. but oh well, lesson learned.

the bottom line is: don't even bother.

gross.

1.3/5  rDev -36%

Appearance: Good head with some retention. The beer has a terrible copper color

Smell: This beers only smell is metallic. It's heavier on the malts than the hops.

Taste: This beer is mainly bitter and salty. It isn't very flavorful and it doesn't finish well. It leaves a dry aftertaste in the back of my throat. This beer is built poorly like a slackers weekend soapbox derby project. I feel like somebody just dumped the ingredients into a metal pot and went to catch a smoke. There is no love for beer in this product. It's just there to get drunk on. Olde English is one of the worst beers in the American macro malt liquor category

Mouthfeel: Slippery and watery. It doesn't have any body and I am forcing myself to swallow it. This beer is flat out of the can and doesn't have any carbonation. I suppose this is a trait of High Gravity beer, unfortunately carbonation might be the only thing that makes this beer drinkable

Drinkability: This beer isn't drinkable. Its unpleasant and leaves a terrible aftertaste. Avoid this beer.

1.06/5  rDev -47.8%

Reviewed from notes. Drank on 10/22. Split with others.

Straw yellow with a small head with poor retention. Looks very unappealing. Smells of cooked corn and veggies. Why did I agree to have some of this?

Tastes like cooked corn, veggies, and there is a metallic taste which I could do without. This is really bad. Why did I waste my time on this?

High carbonation, harsh to drink, just complete and total swill. Don't waste your time. Stay away from this one.

1.16/5  rDev -42.9%

A- Kind of a dirty brown-amber color.

S- Smells like skunky yeast.

T- I only tasted this stuff because it was gaming nite and one of my buddies bought some. I figured what the hell, why not try some? It was pretty bad, it tasted like coors light with stale french fries in it.

D- It is not smooth at all, you gotta force this stuff down.

2.71/5  rDev +33.5%

I had Hurricane High Gravity a couple days ago and named it "Worst.Beer.Ever"
So, let's see how this Old English lays out...

A - Typical macro crystal clear straw yellow. Nice fluffy head that sticks around for a while with great lacing.

S - The smell of wet hay and warm underarm body odor. Not much else.

T - I'm quite surprised. It tastes like any of the big macro beer. After drinking the Hurricane High Gravity, I was sure I made another mistake, purchasing this OE...but it's not THAT bad. Tastes of corn and sweet malt with a clear finish.

M - Very thin and watery

D - At 7 1/2 percent abv, it's quite a surprise it didn't come off tasting like booze. If you're looking for a cheap drunk (like a homeless man) then this'll get you there no problem...and you won't have to have a chaser with it.

1.68/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yeah, I'm really drinking OE. It's hard for me to believe too. This was what to drink when you wanted to get wasted, get in a fight, break up with your girlfriend, chuck a bike into a pool and wake up oblivious the next morning. And here I am.

Remarkable, almost scary clarity here, with a quickly disintingrating head and plenty of carbonation bubbles. The smell is wheaty, corny, and messy. I'll be honest, I threw this one down my throat to avoid the taste but it will not be denied. The aftertaste of rancid corn and dry sawdust come creeping back to your tongue like the unkillable monster in a horror movie. Mouthfeel is thin and a little soapy. The stomach doesn't care for this any more than the taste buds do.

This is terrible but as a malt liquor it has certain advantages in that it is expected to taste like roadkill scrotum. Hey, if you want to get banged up once in a while (and who doesn't?),well, this stuff is a really cheap way to do it.

1.53/5  rDev -24.6%

Another generally poor beer.
Pours a sickly thin light straw color with a thin white head, no lacing. Smells of wet hay, rotten corn stalks, booze, and general nastiness. Tastes like corn, sweetness, and nasty booze. Mouthfeel is very thin, too thin. And drinkability is poor.

2.53/5  rDev +24.6%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

The sixth entry in Swill Tour 2010. I'm really not sure why the 800 is in quotes, nor do I know to what it refers. Possibly the 800 lives it has already claimed (pour some to the curb...or, as we believe, down the drain in remembrance). It pours a clear pale straw (deeper than the AALs we've had so far) topped by an ample coif of white foam. The nose is corny, but less so than light AALs. Not much else there, honestly. I wish I could say more. The taste is liquefied Corn Flakes mixed with the tears of the masses. Mike referred to it as sorrow and corn. What calamity hath befallen this corn. The body is a sorta heavy light, with a light moderate carbonation and a badly crisp feel. This is indeed booty sweat, Mike.

2.12/5  rDev +4.4%

Served in a pint glass

Beer #7 on Swill Fest 2010

Pours a pale golden color. The smell is of nothingness, which in regards to this swill tour I've learned to be a kind thing. The taste is of sorrow. Well...sorrow and corn. This is hard to drink. And because it comes in a 40 I'm so happy I'm splitting it. The mouthfeel is of the despair to go with the sorrow. It is only to be consumed in the ghetto where everything is run-down...like this beverage.

1.53/5  rDev -24.6%

Ahh Old E .Another malt liquor review due to a sever lack of funds, from a 40oz. bottle into the Ol' Lady's Monteith's mug she gaffled from the Welsh Dragon in Wellington.

A-Clear urine yellow (I leave darker liquid in the toilet after a steady 3 day diet of water), and I mean CLEAR, I could read the pages of a book through this if not for the distortion of the glass mug. did have a two finger(soap sud colored) head when first poured, and dissolved slowly to a film, and even left some lace behind.

N-SUPRIZE!!! corn and light malts. some other adjunct funk in there too.

T- Almost isn't any. little bit of corn, and a bit soapy on the finish, and no I didn't pull the mug out of some fresh dish-water right before I poured this, it's the taste of the beer.

M-light and crisp, like uncle jemima likes it. less appealing than usual for the style.

D-Normally the saving grace of the malt liquor, however this one is not a good drink. yes it can be chugged, but to sip on it is painful, and ability to put it down quickly isn't all there is to drinkability. Overall a pretty lousy example of the style, could be worse though. could be hurricane.

1.76/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

I like cheap malt liquors, but Olde English 800 is another story. I've never liked it, whether out of a 24 oz. can or out of a 40 oz. bottle. Something is just really off about it. Even after years and years of drinking high gravity malt liquors I still make "that face" when I get down to the bottom of a serving of OE. For the record, I drink the 7.5% ABV West Coast version, and I'm not sure if lower ABV East Coast version tastes any better.

A: Darker color than I would expect. Foamy, which is typical of Miller products.

S: Bitter and sour. Strong alcohol smell. Very metallic. Grassy. Not at all inviting. I hate to say this, but in all honesty it could be compared to rotting garbage.

T: Starts out rather balanced. There is a malty sweetness. It goes down hill from there turning bitter and then leaving your palate with a sour, metallic taste. Alcohol is extremely noticeable and warms the whole way down.

M: Moderate carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. Easily the best thing about this malt.

D: No. Compare to syrup of ipecac.

Other than OE HG 800, this is easily the harshest malt liquor I've ever had. I'd rather have a 12%, 99 cent tallboy of Earthquake.

2.08/5  rDev +2.5%

A: poured a small amount into a glass, head it a thin short lasting finger of white head.
S: cooked corn, light malt, a light metallic smell which is odd from a 40oz glass bottle, it doesn't smell like the screw cap.
T: the metallic smell doesn't come through in the taste. only the cooked corn and a smooth sweetness.
M: crisp and bubbly yet seems slick.
D: for the price and lack a powerful flavors its drinkable yet its also drain-pour-able.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.