Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
1.8/5  rDev -11.3%

courtesy dkachur, a pal to the end.

A: Kinda looks like a urine after far too many drinks. Yellow, a fairly big head.

S + T: Sweet scents of corn and grain. Flavour is a similar profile... corn huskiness, sweet corn kernel, graininess. A bit of skunkiness, but not as offensive as I might have expected.

M + D: Like seltzer water.. nothing much going on. Quite boring, and I don't know if I could manage an entire 40, but I CAN make it through a glass.

Proteus93, Nov 22, 2008
2.55/5  rDev +25.6%

PASS ME THAT OE!

A= a little darker than a straw yellow. Drank it straight out of the 40oz so there was no head or lacing to be seen
S= typical piss smell of a cheap beer
T= nothing special at all. Watery with a little corn and malt
M= smooth and crisp
D= Decent... After a 40 oz i never wanted to touch it again. Too much in one sitting. Got warm and weird

jjanega08, Nov 06, 2008
1.6/5  rDev -21.2%

Yellow color with an oily texture that tends to stick in one's mouth. As far as 40s go it beats most I have tried though. That doesn't say much. If you're really itching for a drink and can find some change in the couch, you could do worse. Like Colt 45. I didn't mind rating this beer with a little bit of a curve on the drinkability factor because most educated people know of it's true purpose. "Drunk for cheap" It has no other reason to exist. Seriously, look it up on ebay and see what kind of items show up, especially the old ads for it. Ghetto-fabulous.

Likeburning, Oct 18, 2008
2.3/5  rDev +13.3%

Easy to drink malt beer. Tastes, smells, and looks like corn. I personally enjoy malt liquor but to the normal beer fan this beer will probably be too sweet. I gave it a 3 on the drinkability scale because it can be found everywhere. Also kind of funky aftertaste like spoilt beer. I would stick with better malt liquors but this one isn't too bad.

Blake, Oct 09, 2008
2.83/5  rDev +39.4%

This is decent malt liquor to me, another that's better than some and worse than some. The main fault of this one to me is that it is rather boring, pleasant, but with a totally one-dimensional sweet corn character. It's main forte is that it is inoffensive and actually pleasant, if a bit too sweet.

Pale gold (but not straw or pale yellow), it has a huge off-white head that steadily shrinks to a lasting wispy top and ring, leaving no lace.

The smell is meaty-fruity grain with white grape juice and raisins. It's fairly nice with a mellow alcoholic charcter.

The taste is alcoholic but very smoothly so, with a strong taste of sweet corn and musky white grape juice. The corn is like what I imagine fermented corn bread might be like, rather than having a strong corn chip or corn tortilla taste (like Red Dog, Colt 45 or Aldaris Luksus), or fresh corn (like Pabst). It is very soft, smooth, a bit oily, and a bit flat in character and feel. It's in fact too soft and smooth and comes across as flat with almost nothing but the cornbread and musyk white grape juice. It lacks almost any real "beer" taste or bite and seems like someone took more complex, interesting malt liquor like Rainier Ale and thinned it with white grape juice mixed with a little grain alcohol.

Overall, it's drinkable, kind of enjoyable, and inoffensive, but totally one-dimensional, and tasting of sweet cornbread. It lacks the balance, character, and mild complexity of something like Schlitz High Gravity "Very Smooth Lager," yet to me this seems pretty much the quintessential malt liquor.

Offa, Oct 08, 2008
2.98/5  rDev +46.8%

24-ounce can poured into my Delirium Tremens tulip glass yields a sparkling clear golden body with a fat finger of shocking-white head. The foam reduces to a ring that leaves thin lacing on the glass.

The smell is sweet with a bit of husky grain.

The taste is malty and sweet with a bit of DMS that fits right in. Toastier as it warms with a shot of aromatic alcohol.

Surprisingly medium in body and nicely carbonated. Good drinkability for style.

cvstrickland, Sep 04, 2008

Yellow color, fizzy white head, no lacing. Terrible stuff. Same as Colt 45... they both have a permanent spot near the bottom of my list. Lots of corn, some malt and some old caramel. But hey, if you're young, need to get drunk and don't have any money then go for it. Just don't say I didn't warn you the next morning.

changeup45, Aug 23, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

Tis poured a clear bright yellow with a quickly disappearing head of foam.

Cornish notes dominate the nose and overall it has that sweet smell that is typical for the style.

The corn is in the taste and there's some bitterness there but when I finish a sip, I'm left with a rather nasty taste in my mouth.

The body is as thin as one can get and I find it really hard to continue with the session, even without taking the abv in the equation. I'm just glad I'm drinking this *cold*. Not worth a retry....ever!!

Bitterbill, Jul 20, 2008
2.63/5  rDev +29.6%

What am I doing with this bottle? Where--where the hell am I? Where's my pants? Shit. Shit!

This is how you get DOWN. This is royalty, man. For those of us poor enough to even consider drinking malt liquor but can somehow afford the extra 50 cents to buy this instead of King Cobra it is a certain sign of classiness. It's like, even though I am illiterate and collect cans for a living at least I can still afford a Starter jacket. Yeah. At least I got that going for me.

Where are my PANTS? How the hell can I or anybody make it in this world without any pants on? Gonna have to peel off the label, I guess. Stick it against my junk and hope that people think I'm making a fashion statement. Can't tell if this is the 7% version or the 5.9% version, neither. I don't matter. What matters is the statement.

Dark gold with no head. Adjunct to adjunct, dust to dust. Like corn and water and a bit of ethanol. Really no off nodes but nothing nice about it, either. Tastes like it smells. Even at the end of the bottle, when it's getting dangerously warm, it's still drinkable.

mynie, Jun 21, 2008
2.68/5  rDev +32%

Yup, Thats right. I'm reviewing Olde English 800. I will try to be fair and concise in my review. After all, I'm reviewing this beer based on style, and not taste.

40oz twist off cap bottle, from a person that will remain nameless. To my credit, I did not purchase this beer. Rather it was given to me. For my reputation, I felt the need to mention that.

Smell, Whoa! Adjunct City, table of Olde English 800! Seriously though, rice, a strong corn aroma, and a biscuit malt flavor dominate the nose.

Taste, Whoa! Adjunct City, table of Olde English 800! Ok, I'm getting off point. The corn flavors dominate for sure. The husky rice flavors come through mid swig, trying to balance out the corn, but they do little but add more flavor to the beer. The obvious rice flavors lend body but take away from what should have been hop flavors. I can get a faint taste of Noble hops, but they're quickly lost within the adjunct filled body of this beer. A faint kiss of alcohol is in the finish, but all I can taste is a toasted corn flavor.

Overall, Thank God this isn't my go-to beer. Its got flavor, its got "some" body, and its got alcohol. Other than that, it has nothing going for it. Good brew for the style, but not my style, if you know what I mean. Even if I'm chillin' on the corner with my boys, we're going to grab a 4-0 of Dogfish Head's Liquor De Malt any day over this.

leftmindedrighty, May 23, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -6.4%

I have had enough of this beer in my college days to provide an accurate review. This beer pours clear,straw yellow. The head is small with light lace.

The aroma is of malts,corn and alcohol with some skunk. I swear if I try hard enough I can still relive the way it tasted as it went down. I can still remember the smell as I eagerly cracked open a 40oz. The choice was due to it's strength (7.5)which means little to me now. The taste was really sweet & malty.

The feel is medium carbonation with. Medium body and a harsh finish.

Notes: This brew if I remember correctly was targeted at a young,urban/inner-city demographic. Excessive advertising in poor urban areas. Despite drinking this I never really liked it. Now the idea of malt liquor offends me and reminds me why I detest certain companies. This is not beer,it is a tool of destruction.

Lexluthor33, May 16, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear, yellow body with a small, white head.

Smell: Aroma of tired, stale malts, corn, and a few vegetal notes. Smells like a spoiled bag of Fritos.

Taste: Sweetish, maizey taste of raw white corn. No real hop bitterness. Hints of veggies and blanched flower stems near the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A cheap, get-you-drunk beer for when your life has hit rock bottom, one that makes you think "has my life really come to *this*?" Best served wrapped in a brown paper bag.

ChainGangGuy, May 13, 2008
1.6/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours a very light yellow color that is close to water - not much head not much lacing and below average carbonation. The dominate smell is mild malt with some hops coming through. First taste is light, sweet, and lacking in flavor - not much body at all. Not much taste. Not worth your time.

ATLbeerDog, May 11, 2008
1.15/5  rDev -43.3%

I was recently in the liqour store with $5 and wanted to relive my college days so I decided to pick up some Olde E. What can I say that hasn't already been said about his terrible beer. It tastes like metal, corn, and stink. When I drink it, I want to get it down as soon as possible, no foam at all, with this beer. Same piss color that is know in this beer. Man stay clear of this one, only for the faint of heart, but it does catch up with you, I call this one the creeper.

NOOGIE, May 11, 2008
1.05/5  rDev -48.3%

One taste is enough for this beast. It has an aroma of old malt and bad alcohol. There are some sour yeast smells as well. It has a dirty river color and not much head. It appears to be tan though. Body is think and syrupy which leads to poor drinkability. I will probably never again venture back to this stuff.

rye726, May 05, 2008
2.48/5  rDev +22.2%

Seen a lot of cheap beer in my short time, but I'd never seen this one before. Sounded cheap, was cheap so I bought it. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a perfectly clear straw color with a thin, sparkling white head. The smell is very underwhelming; corn, a slight fruitiness and a bit of grain are about all that are discernable. The taste reminds me of a pale euro lager - slight corny-grain sweetness up front followed by a dry, one-dimensional, boring finish. The mouthfeel is ultra light, if I had to guess, it's probably in the range of 1.00001 -maybe with a stale carbonation. Drinkability is decent due to the fact that it's cheap as hell and has 7.5% which isn't really that noticeable. Definitely not my choice in beer but I can see its purpose!

gmfessen, Mar 28, 2008
2.55/5  rDev +25.6%

Ah Olde English. Any strong beer tastes good when you're down and out and looking for a cheap way to numb your brain. 7.5% is a nice little bonus and you'll be feeling good in no time. Although I swear to god getting drunk on good beer actually feels better, getting drunk for $2.37 is not that bad of a feeling as well. It goes down very smoothly for a concoction as strong as it is. You would think it would taste like nothing but alcohol. Considering this, Olde English can be considered at least well balanced, if not good tasting. But most of all I love that feeling of being boosed-up it gives you. You drink it, and you start to feel pretty drunk fast. Yeah, I like that.

abriggs1, Mar 23, 2008
1.1/5  rDev -45.8%

Oh god where to begin. First of all this beer is on my blacklist. I had two of these in one night that I will never remember, woke up in the morning and puked six times. What I do remember though is that there is nothing good about this beer, not even good enough to get drunk on.

I don't care how cheap this is, I wouldn't drink this again if it was given to me. I would rather piss on a turd, blend it, microwave it and eat it! Avoid this beer at all costs. The name is deceiving, there is nothing Olde about this beer, and there is nothing English about it. The price tag may seem attractive, but so is a cheap hooker who ends up giving you herpes - OE800 is no different (yes I probably got herpes from drinking this shit).

GodOfBeer, Mar 11, 2008
1.55/5  rDev -23.6%

I got arrested while drinking this when I was 15. To this day, I'm not sure if it was because of my age or my choice in drinks. This is definitely just for those who want to get drunk and don't want something to savor or enjoy. Avoid like the plague. Metallic and chemical.

biggmike, Mar 03, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -9.9%

In high school and college, I must admit that on more than one occasion that I did indulge in an Olde English 40oz.

Appearance is yellow, clear, and unattractive.

Smell is pointing towards gross, turn your nose away, smells like some alcohol in a science lab.

Taste is bland, watery, and unpleasant.

MF is of some corn, slightly sugary, with a really bad after-taste, without a doubt it is difficult to consume all 40oz, let alone 3 of them in a night, which I have done several times in the past, ahhhh the good old days.

mltobin, Feb 15, 2008
2.68/5  rDev +32%

This malt liquor is just okay... However; it does get the job done... The appearance is average for a malt liquor, head retention is decent as seen within my 40. Smells like corn and alcohol. The taste is somewhat thin, but the mouthfeel is refreshingly fizzy. I would rate this at a decent drinkability.

kguyty, Feb 13, 2008
2.68/5  rDev +32%

This 99cent,22oz bottle pours a typical see thru golden color,with pure white head that actually leaves some lacing as it quickly dissipates.It smells of bread dough,and a little musty alcohol.The taste is surprisingly not disgusting considering the ridiculous price(you cant buy generic soda this cheap,and in my opinion I would drink this over a soda any day),the mouthfeel is what you would expect,light bodied,average carbonation,no real aftertaste.I could easily drink this over any Bud or Miller product,it actually has more flavor than either of them,but probably more carbs!

orangemoustache, Jan 23, 2008

Thanks Chris & Mike for keeping a half a 40oz-er in the fridge for your cousin Dan! They poured it into a juice glass to form a 1/2" head... that lasted for a second... then it was all gone.... no ring.... no lace. Yellow in color and very clear.

Smell: Light lager smell only cornier.

Taste: Fizzy corney watery.... fermented cream corn strained through a fine screen.

MF: Fizzy, thin.... the opposite of robust.

Drinkability: It was all I could do to choke back 8 oz.... "let's go get some real beer at Shakespear's" (Sarasota)....

TheBierBand, Jan 21, 2008
3.23/5  rDev +59.1%

I bought several 40's of this a few years back in the middle of the summer.

A- Looks like regular beer, very clear.

S- smells pretty strong

T- I actually dont shotgun 40's so I kept this in the freezer while I poured mug after mug of this. Tastes pretty good ice cold. KEYWORD, ICE COLD.

M- Mouthfeel is normal, with carbonation. then again, I dont swish it around in my mouth.

D- This is my 2nd favorite malt liquor it gets you pretty trashed and is better than a lot of them out there.

rrob311, Dec 31, 2007
1.4/5  rDev -31%

Forget it... I don't care how many times this beer is mentioned in rap songs... Wouldn't drink this brew again if it was the only alcoholic drink offered at a party... actually ended up getting pretty nauseous after downing a 40 of this back in college... A lot of alcohol for your buck at 7.50% for a $1.99... Appearance is below mediocore and the smell is awful... not trying to sound like a beer snob, but those with class would avoid a hefty malt liquor like this unless for some reason you are a fan of this particular style... Mouthfeel was less than awful and the only upside of this brew is that once you made it past half the bottle, the other half goes down a bit easier...

dsa7783, Dec 16, 2007
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.