Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
1.73/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My first beer ever, so some sort of nostalgia involved with this one. Especially how drunk I was after just 1 40oz. 7.50% ABV, not bad, quite suprised at that amount actually.

A - Golden yellow, plenty carbonated, fluffy head on pour, not very good retention.

S - Smell is grain/malt.

T - Taste is strong and almost overwhealming at first. Malt taste initially, with strong alcohol and a bitter mild hop finish. Rough at first, but easier after some time.

M - Decent, carbonation and mouthfeel.

D - Drinkability is middle of the road. For the high ABV, these go down easy enough after you aquire the flavor. The final drunk from drinking 40's back in the day was just right. Adequate but, not excessive. Recomendeed for anyone on a budget or just getting into the beer world. Otherwise, just keep away.

HoustonTX, Jun 28, 2006
2.45/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pour: 40oz bottle to pint glass (just once... for the tasting) Comes into the glass with a yellowish, clear body and a few bubble trails. An impressive two finger head with excellent staying time.

Nose: It smells sour, alcoholic, and chalky - just a touch of hop presence in the nose but it doesn't cover the other offensive aromas.

Mouth: Has a watery entrance that hits sour along the back of the mouth and just a hint of hops. Some sweet peach notes appear along the tongue after swallowing.

clickpush, Jun 07, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +72.4%

Pours the typical malt liquor way. Slightly dark golden with a thing ring of bubbles. Typical corny/grainy smell and a hint of burnt veggies. Sweet tasting and not overly grainy. Lot of corn in the flavor, but this one is really smooth. Mouthfeel is surpisingly not sticky, considering the abv, yet it still holds firm in the mouth like a higher gravity malt liquor. Highly drinkable and a nice change from Steel Reserve. I think I've found my new favorite malt liquor.

goochpunch, May 30, 2006
1.65/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Olde English 800 drank straight from a clear thirty two ounce bottle. Color is orange. The smell is fairly nasty. Tastes like adjunct run amuck. This is fairly bad, not the worst malt liquor I've had, but not good either. For malt liquor connisouers and rappers only. Avoid unless you can only scrape up enough money for this.

Drew966, May 15, 2006
1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

Yeah baby. The first malt liquor I ever tasted. Light yellow. Non-offensive, well hidden alcohol aroma with hints of corn and pear. Yes, its full of corn and it’s fairly grainy, but there isn’t really anything in this that makes it intolerable. No off flavors whatsoever. I’ll be honest, I finished all forty ounces and I’m proud of it. This was much better than the Keystone Light that I had later in the evening.

Crosling, Apr 30, 2006
1.23/5  rDev -39.4%

Appearance: Actually, not that bad. Bright golden sunflower color with a creamy white head. Poor retention, wispy lacing.

Smell: Ugh. Cooked peas, corn, and broccoli (DMS?), and that's about it. What a disquieting aroma.

Taste: Sweet corn, honey, and bile. This is truly offensive. I just wish I could enter something less than 1 for this field.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, I suppose. Not too fizzy and fairly clean.

Drinkability: Thank god I only paid a buck fifty for this. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it.

soulgrowl, Apr 20, 2006
2.75/5  rDev +35.5%

As a malt liquor, this beer has a corn stink; across all beers, this could be undesirable, but is the best smelling malt liquor I know of.
Unfortunately, if the beer isn't cold enough it can be hard to swallow, but ice cold? This beer is definitely drinkable.

The mouthfeel of OE 800 is good and thick; I could never imagine drinking this beer out of anything other than a big 40oz bottle--if it were even in a cup, I probably wouldn't be able to stand the stench.

Still, high alcohol content and low price makes it an excellent party beer.

dubman003, Apr 12, 2006
2.17/5  rDev +6.9%

I used to drink this wretched stuff in high school, it was only 3.90 a bottle now its 5.50, ahh the old days (well 7 years ago).

I poured the first half into a pint glass, wow Im a real beer geek. Its gold with orangey red flashes. It produces a big bubbly head that recedes to nothing in an instant. Thin lace patches coat the glass. The aroma is sweet malt, corn and other veggies, and strong alcohol. The taste is very sweet and boozey with a nasty cooked veggie flavor. The alcohol heat is very prominent and becomes unbearable as the beer warms. the mouthfeel is medium with an alcohol numbing sensation. The finish is sweet and overly alcoholic.

This doesnt even pretend to be a good beer, it is what it is and I dont like it. Its ironic that the only beer style with the word malt in the name has the smallest percentage of malt in it.

CAMRAhardliner, Mar 12, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +71.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Olde English is royalty amongst malt liquor 40s. Its light-amber coloration, hi-test corn-blessed constitution, and overall appeal are second to none in the malt liquor game. Enough "slummin' w. da homiez" bullshit; either drink this, or don't. No need to mock the poor in your poor attempt to cop a buzz. Olde English.. it might not boast the 'imported taste' of Private Stock, but it does have 33 crowns on the label. I counted.

MarkBlackout, Mar 07, 2006
2.63/5  rDev +29.6%

Pours yellow with perfect clarity. Fizzy white two and a half finger head that shows poor retention and no lacing whatsoever. The aroma is of ceral grain and apple ester, but nothing fowl. A faint grain taste is knocked aside by a huge hard cider flavor and alcoholic bite. Slightly dry aftertaste, with fusels and cider reteating comfortably. The flavor is too estery sweet even for the style and is grossly unbalanced; however- the flavor fades quickly and a medium body with medium carbonation creates a drinkability that is the strong pont of this beer. The finish is mostly clean and allows the consumer to get drunk fast for cheap, which is really the aim of this beer.

PBRstreetgang, Mar 07, 2006
2.25/5  rDev +10.8%

Ahh the "dirty 4-0", a party classic around these parts.

Pours the standard pee yellow with a one finger bubbly white head that disipates quickly. Looks to be extremely carbonated.

Can't really detect anything in the smell, I guess grainy would be best to describe.

Tastes grainy like the smell but also bitter. Only thing good about it is that the 8%abv hides itself well. Becomes a whole lot worse as it warms

As it looks, it feels very carbonated. Definatly needs to be sipped, no big gulps.

Not impressed, but didn't expect to be. It is what it is. Maybe I'll consider this if I become homeless, but until then, I'll leave it on the store shelf where it belongs.

jayc333, Feb 02, 2006

As a teen I drank this a few times when I had little money to spend and wanted something to "blitz" on. I can not do an unbiased review here or attempt to review it as I would do my other beers, and with that being said here goes...This is by far the worst swill you could ever think to try and consume. It smells as bad as it tastes. Avoid at all costs unless you are the verry Adventurous . Homie don't play that!!!

Tallboy, Jan 26, 2006
2.95/5  rDev +45.3%

My buddy was in a rush to get something simple from the local packy before it closed so I toldem to pick up a few good ol OE's. Decided to keep it real and drink this one straight from the 40 bottle with it still in the bag. Appearance....what can I say? Looks a lot like pee pee. Smell was of corn and other weak tasting grains that didn't do much at all for the beer. Taste had malt running amuck throughout and the alcohol was very up front. Mouthfeel was medium bodied due to excessive malt and alcohol presence. Drinkability wasn't bad until I got to the end, in which case I dumped the bottoms, which were just too harsh to quaf. Final Verdict: This isnt a good beer if yor are looking for quality...it may be okay in the world of cheap malt liquors serving only one purpose: to get you drunk quick, but it isn't anything to seek out. On the bright side, they're really cheap and if you want to get wasted without burning a whole in your wallet, just grab a couple of these. I advise playing Edward 40 Hands with this beer. Cheers

jamie2dope, Jan 15, 2006
1.78/5  rDev -12.3%

A beer you would drink for only one reason, to get trashed.

A very sweet beer with a sour taste to it. Can sometimes taste the alcohal in it. Appearance wise it is a sickly yellow colour and the smell is equal to the taste. The aftertaste is a good point to it since it's smaller then most Malt Liqours.

This stands out from most malt liqours since it has a bit higher alcohal percentage giving it a better deal. But I would recommend chugging it down so you won't have to bare the taste.

CrazyMike, Jan 08, 2006
2.53/5  rDev +24.6%

ah, Olde English, what can i say about you? You're the 40 to drink if you have to drink a 40, i suppose. You look terrible and you stink real bad, but after the first little taste, all hoppy and smooth, i just can't stop until i've finished. Top of the line on malt liquors, in my opinion....and in some cases i'd rather drink this than light american lagers (coors, miller, genny).

aforbes10, Dec 21, 2005

This is an awesome, cheap, f**k you up-type beer.

The thing you have to remember about this beer is that it's not a beer to make you love the taste and everything. It is typical, very hoppy, and EXTREMELY smooth! Yellow, smells like alcohol and corn. Taste actually isn't bad. I've had pale ales that taste worse than this stuff. Mouthfeel is dry on the pallet after a 40 of this stuff. Drinkability is awesome since you almost don't feel it going down. For less than $2 a 40, you can't go wrong.

This is a personal favorite of mine. Sometimes you just want a crappy beer, and this is it.

GuinnessHero, Dec 18, 2005
1.9/5  rDev -6.4%

On my way home from work I stopped for a beer at a weird redneck bar with a co-worker. There in the cooler behind the bar was a 40 of OE. So with my choices limited to crap I went a few steps further and got me a 40 of OE. Playing pool, drink a forty that cost me $5 was a weird way to get off work. Well it is a little darker than most adjunct beers but the smells is of corn and some kind of monkey urine. It tastes like cron urine and ash. Smooth like a handful of broken glass. I would drink this again most likely the best 40 I have had.

Higravity, Nov 22, 2005
1.78/5  rDev -12.3%

Old E , what a classic party beer from Miller Brewery. Havint drinked this stuff for about 3 years but I can still recall all the facts about it

Fat 40oz beer , with a golden/pee appearance isnt the best looking better but thats not what its known for.

Smell almost exactly like miller highlife, dull/pee smell that is standable somedays.

Taste is alright only after you have down a couple of bottles. Mouthfeel is really bad I dont think I could bare to taste this again for awhile.

Drinkability on the other hand is the best part, if you can ignore the smell and taste then you sure have found your beer. Probably around $2.?? for a fat 40 oz. So if your cheap then you'll dig this brew for sure.

Gaben, Nov 07, 2005
2.03/5  rDev 0%

So, I actually started my drinking career with better beers, and it wasn't until just recently that I had the joy and opportunity to try a malt liquor. At a halloween party, it was the only thing available.

Strong pee yellow with white head.

little to no aroma, possible alcohol.

Huge caramel malts with sweetness upfront and sweetness at the end. No trace of hops or bitterness to speak of, just sweet grain. Huge hit of rough alcohol diminishes after each sip, as you get more and more obliterated.

watery.

The fusel alcohols in this beer not only get you drunk faster, but more drunk, with more nausea. I was so ill after drinking this, never again. I'm bringing my own beer next time.

beersarang, Oct 31, 2005
2.9/5  rDev +42.9%

Served the classic way--out of a 40oz bottle. Definitely resembles urine in both smell and appearance, with a pungently bland smell dominating the nose. Taste isn't terrible, its the kind of thing you'd get really used to after many sips, and the alcohol is such that if you want to let loose for a night, this is the way to go. Very little lingering taste or mouthfeel so it goes down easy and facilitates many more. Everyone needs a night with a beer like this, and at 2.50 the price can't be beat! (I realize there are MUCH better beers out there, but as far as malt liquor goes this is pretty good.) Enjoy!

Toddv29424, Oct 28, 2005
2.7/5  rDev +33%

This is the normal run of the mill 40 ounce malt liquor, its got a pretty bad unrefined taste, a bit of that dirty sweetness and its rather harsh.Having said that its a 40 and the main purpose of 40s is to get you slammed when your too poor to get anything else... its swill but its still a classic among 40z.

anchored, Oct 26, 2005
3.78/5  rDev +86.2%

Appearance - Pale, clear gold. Sudsy head with some staying power. Leaves a little lacing. Good for style.

Smell - Light adjuct odor. Sweet scent with no sign of hops.

Taste - Quite sweet and quite dry. You can taste the alcohol, but its not a bad as many others. Pretty high quality if one is judging, as one is in this category, simply on inoffensiveness.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Carbonation present not overpowering.

Drinkability - Probably the best of the malt liquors. Faint praise, but praise indeed. This stuff isn't as poor as most in the category, and is actually quite unobtrusive. That is until it kicks you in the ass.

scaliasux, Oct 03, 2005
3.75/5  rDev +84.7%

This stuff sits inside the 40 ounce bottle looking coppery and dangerous. Upon cracking the top, the fizzle escapes. As the bottle is hoisted to my mouth, the carbonation bubbles whip up into a tingly fury. This looks like an average malt liquor.

The smell is rather putrid and skunky. It carries a faint sulphur and charcoal scent atop the funky malt liquor aroma of malted liquor. Burnt malt dominates. It smells about average for a malt liquor.

The taste is shockingly sweet and smooth. The neck of the bottle holds a pretty decent flavor. After a fair number of pulls from the conspicuously large container, my spit and natural mixing processes cause a drift in the flavor. It then becomes a more alcoholic and bittered liquid. You know what, this is some good malt liquor. I am one malt liquor picker. I actually would choose this over a small few micro selections that I have tested out. Small and few being the key operatives. I am rating this with the style in mind, and apart from Schlitz Blue Bull, this 8 ball is an extraordinary example of good old heavy duty American made malt liquor. When I am looking to get into the magical realm of cheap mood alteration, this mofo is the golden ticket. I feel like a high school kid again with each successive tug from the mammoth missile of glass. After I finish the corn juice in the last swallow, I have an immense feeling of accomplishment.

Mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy and thick. Stingy bubbles remain throughout the bottle adding to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is good for the style. I had no trouble sinking the 8 ball. Exercise caution after drinking 2 jugs. Things can get foggy.

SupaCelt, Aug 25, 2005
1.33/5  rDev -34.5%

I have this wierd addiction to having some schwill now and again just to keep things grounded. On my way back from the hollywood bowl I needed some malt liquor so this was the pick. 40oz'er served in a brown paper bag. smelled like corn soaked in sugar and roasted on an open flame. Tasted very similair except take out the open flame. Sugar and Corn. Drink this fast as it is sewer material as it gets warm. You can tell this is a highly sugar based beer. not reccomended except when hidden in a brown paper bag.

DogFood11, Aug 23, 2005
2.2/5  rDev +8.4%

I'm not sure how long Olde English 800 has been brewed, but it seems to me that I've seen it on the shelves for decades at least. The theme for Malt Likkapalooza II is the old tried and true (this beer) vs. the brash upstart (Eagle Malt). The bottles look identical, as do the screwtops. For that matter, so does the beer within each bottle. Let's find out how they differ when the other senses are brought into play.

Clear cornmeal yellow with one line of rapidly rising bubbles in the exact center of the glass. The eggshell white head looks better and persists longer than the heads on most cheap beer. The rumpled, pitted surface eventually works its way downward and deposits a meager amount of sudsy lace in its wake.

I can't get over how even the most maligned malt liquor has a less offensive nose than a standard macro lager from BMC. Something to do with corn vs. rice as an adjunct? While it isn't a nose that deserves praise, not even a little, it isn't bad either. It's grainy and slightly musky without a trace of fruitiness or floralness.

OE 800 tastes like most malt liquors... until mid-mouthful when the flavor develops an odd, candyish sweetness that reminds me of corn syrup-soaked Wheaties. It isn't mouthfilling in intensity, the beer is much too thin for that, so even though it's mildly unpleasant, it's still drinkable (caveat: while cold).

The mouthfeel is actually closer to medium than it is to light. There's a slight viscousness (again, corn syrup comes to mind) that allows it to hold its structure throughout and not descend into wateriness. The sprightly carbonation is holding its own as well and keeps the mouthfeel from becoming as flat as the flavor.

Olde English 800 brings to mind the beautiful, pastoral English countryside of old, while The Eagle makes one think of rugged, individualistic, red-white-and-blue America. Only kidding. These are two simple bottles of beer that were brewed for one purpose and one purpose only: inebriation. OE 800 is the superior product, but I caution the reader that 'superior' is a strictly relative term.

BuckeyeNation, Jul 30, 2005
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.