Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 908 | Reviews: 301
1.92/5  rDev -5.4%

I got this as a joke, since I'm the "beer guy". Welp, jokes on them, here's the review!

Hey! The big ol' 2X4 can with the $1.19 sticker on it produces a decent pour into the Bitburger pilsner glass - clear straw with a surprising eggshell white foamy head, thick sheet of lace.

Corny husks in the aroma, just not much there. Now for the quaff. Ton's of corn, bits of veggies, all backed with a metallic finish. No alcohol burn or taste.

Not to good of a beer, and surely not something I would get again, but overall a malt liquor that I was able to finish. But finish it before it warms at all.

2.33/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a pale golden yellow with a thick white head. Very clear. Develops a decent collar and a slight laciness. Aroma is very simple, barley and malt. Taste follows the same concept although it has a very metallic taste that is offensive. Thin and watery texture. Drinkability is not hight on my list. Although it is not a terrible beer it is not one I would seek out for drinking around the house on a warm day. Not recommended as a session beer.

look. admittedly, this is cheap beer. but it serves a purpose, and i feel it does its job very well. this is the best 40 money can buy. sure, it's not a triple-fermented ale made by belgian monks who have taken an oath of silence, but that doesn't mean its not enjoyable. this is all some people can afford. and if old e is all they can afford, don't you think they should be able to drink in peace without beer snobs looking down their noses at them? i love a good belgian tripel, but beer is beer.

1.94/5  rDev -4.4%

Extremely clear body that is a bright shade of yellow with a few lazy carbonation bubbles noticeable. Stark white head of about one finger disappates, not leaving anything behind.

A very sweet aroma comes through, not all that pleasant. The expected corn odor that is expected.

Taste is very sweet, extremely sweet, and corny tasting. The corn flavor is stronger in this beer than I have found it in most others. There is a very slight, very musty malt profile in there somewhere too. Also a bit of alchohol in the finish.

Light bodied with medium carbonation. Not something I choose to have in my mouthe for any longer than possible though.

Two things I would give OE: you can probably pound them without too much trouble, and it would certainly get you drunk. I've tried and reviewed a couple of malt liquors and been surprised that they aren't that bad. OE is not one of those, it is just as bad as I remember the last time I tasted it. Even when reaching for a malt liquor, try to avoid this one I'd say.

2.12/5  rDev +4.4%

Yeah, some bad beer right here, always a fun oen to slam a forty of
poured into a wine glass (as a joke) then slammed straight of the bottle
appearance was as expected, yellow piss color with an oily head, gross looking overall
smells like corn and alcohol. No complexity
Tastes exactly the same, except more alcohol and very watery. Just plain bad. Drink it extremely cold and quickly. Metallic gross aftertaste. Funn stuff.
feels like garbage in yoru mouth, oily and gross. Drinkability is low because of alcohol content and bad taste

a milt liquor for 350 (recently upped from 1.99, which was always on the bottle... now no price is listed, wonder what happened?) for a 40 oz, gets you drunk. The only point to it.

Well this is was the quintessential staple of my high school days.
Has a hazy light brownish copper yellow color, its a malt. Smells like garbage, like wet cardboard, stale etc all the pleasantries of a malt liquor. Tastes like it smells, with all kinds of off flavors, and a notable alcoholic aftertaste. Mouthfeel, is full and thick, and oily. Honestly, if this isn't ice cold its really hard to drink, but if its ICE cold you can get one of these down pretty effortlessly. So i gave it a 3. But honestly are you gonna drink this one for taste? I never did, even back in the old days, i knew this was bad. Have fun!

1.68/5  rDev -17.2%

Huh. I used to drink these things so easily in college. It tastes like a bad beer that has been sitting out all night and someone emptied a dropper full of vodka in it. It's sweeter than most malt liquors and the alcohol is better hidden than average. Of course, average is very poor among the popular malt liquors. It makes my mouth feel kind of funny, like my cheeks are attempting to retreat back into my throat. I'm not going to keep panning it. Suffice to say, there's no reason to drink it, even for free.

3.24/5  rDev +59.6%

Poured some into a pint glass, drank the rest from a 40oz bottle.

Appearance/Smell - Appears a hazy copper/yellow with a small soapy head that dissipates very quickly, medium-high carbonation, and no lacing. Smells of very stale sweet raisins with musty malt. Lots of corn & mixed vegetables, with a hint of alcohol. As it warms a very sour, tart, alcoholic aroma develops (Very Unpleasant!)

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of sweet spoiled fruit with very stale malt. Some bitterness at the end, as well as a touch of alcohol. A little cardboard flavor as well. Tastes sweeter with a touch of more alcohol as it warms (Not bad) Mouthfeel is smooth, thick, and medium-full bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Well the drinkability is quite good for what it is. I'd say about two 40oz bottles, nothing to offensive about the flavor. The smell however is another story, best consumed while very cold. Let this brew warm a bit & a very offensive sour, alcoholic aroma develops. I didn't like that at all, but that's nothing compared to other Malt Liqours.

It's very cheap, very drinkable, and hell, let me say what where all thinking. It gets the job done, I recommend it if your low on cash & badly need something strong but not offensive. This is good decent Malt Liquor. Cheers!

2.38/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from a 40 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Pale yellow and clear, with a 2 finger finger head that rises and falls quickly. No lace and nother left on top of the beer.

S - A touch of sweetness, a smack of grain, and a big whiff of alcohol. Nothing complex. About what I would except.

T - Bleh. I've had malt liquor that I liked but not this one. A saccarhin-like sweetness comes on first followed by a sour and metallic flavor. Bitterness kicks in late palate and reminds me of old socks. Alcohol butts in during the finish.

M - On the line between light and medium, with the mothfeel hoverying somewhere between honey and water. Carbonation is high.

D - Not a bad drinking 40 but a little too much sweetness and alcohol for me.

1.56/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The infamous "8 Ball". This brings me back to high school and the Bonfare Market in Oakland. 69 cents would get you a forty. That was way too much money for this.

Out of the Fo-tee ounce. Pours dark yellow, not unlike urine, with a foamy white head. Aroma is of the streets, ethyl, corn, chemical sweetener, and dank funk. Taste is brutal. Bitter sweet, but in a bad way. In a really sweaty, corny gym sock way. It is impossible to quantify the malt-liquor brutality of this beverage unless you actually try it.

1.78/5  rDev -12.3%

courtesy dkachur, a pal to the end.

A: Kinda looks like a urine after far too many drinks. Yellow, a fairly big head.

S + T: Sweet scents of corn and grain. Flavour is a similar profile... corn huskiness, sweet corn kernel, graininess. A bit of skunkiness, but not as offensive as I might have expected.

M + D: Like seltzer water.. nothing much going on. Quite boring, and I don't know if I could manage an entire 40, but I CAN make it through a glass.

2.57/5  rDev +26.6%

PASS ME THAT OE!

A= a little darker than a straw yellow. Drank it straight out of the 40oz so there was no head or lacing to be seen
S= typical piss smell of a cheap beer
T= nothing special at all. Watery with a little corn and malt
M= smooth and crisp
D= Decent... After a 40 oz i never wanted to touch it again. Too much in one sitting. Got warm and weird

1.62/5  rDev -20.2%

Yellow color with an oily texture that tends to stick in one's mouth. As far as 40s go it beats most I have tried though. That doesn't say much. If you're really itching for a drink and can find some change in the couch, you could do worse. Like Colt 45. I didn't mind rating this beer with a little bit of a curve on the drinkability factor because most educated people know of it's true purpose. "Drunk for cheap" It has no other reason to exist. Seriously, look it up on ebay and see what kind of items show up, especially the old ads for it. Ghetto-fabulous.

2.31/5  rDev +13.8%

Easy to drink malt beer. Tastes, smells, and looks like corn. I personally enjoy malt liquor but to the normal beer fan this beer will probably be too sweet. I gave it a 3 on the drinkability scale because it can be found everywhere. Also kind of funky aftertaste like spoilt beer. I would stick with better malt liquors but this one isn't too bad.

2.85/5  rDev +40.4%

This is decent malt liquor to me, another that's better than some and worse than some. The main fault of this one to me is that it is rather boring, pleasant, but with a totally one-dimensional sweet corn character. It's main forte is that it is inoffensive and actually pleasant, if a bit too sweet.

Pale gold (but not straw or pale yellow), it has a huge off-white head that steadily shrinks to a lasting wispy top and ring, leaving no lace.

The smell is meaty-fruity grain with white grape juice and raisins. It's fairly nice with a mellow alcoholic charcter.

The taste is alcoholic but very smoothly so, with a strong taste of sweet corn and musky white grape juice. The corn is like what I imagine fermented corn bread might be like, rather than having a strong corn chip or corn tortilla taste (like Red Dog, Colt 45 or Aldaris Luksus), or fresh corn (like Pabst). It is very soft, smooth, a bit oily, and a bit flat in character and feel. It's in fact too soft and smooth and comes across as flat with almost nothing but the cornbread and musyk white grape juice. It lacks almost any real "beer" taste or bite and seems like someone took more complex, interesting malt liquor like Rainier Ale and thinned it with white grape juice mixed with a little grain alcohol.

Overall, it's drinkable, kind of enjoyable, and inoffensive, but totally one-dimensional, and tasting of sweet cornbread. It lacks the balance, character, and mild complexity of something like Schlitz High Gravity "Very Smooth Lager," yet to me this seems pretty much the quintessential malt liquor.

2.96/5  rDev +45.8%

24-ounce can poured into my Delirium Tremens tulip glass yields a sparkling clear golden body with a fat finger of shocking-white head. The foam reduces to a ring that leaves thin lacing on the glass.

The smell is sweet with a bit of husky grain.

The taste is malty and sweet with a bit of DMS that fits right in. Toastier as it warms with a shot of aromatic alcohol.

Surprisingly medium in body and nicely carbonated. Good drinkability for style.

Yellow color, fizzy white head, no lacing. Terrible stuff. Same as Colt 45... they both have a permanent spot near the bottom of my list. Lots of corn, some malt and some old caramel. But hey, if you're young, need to get drunk and don't have any money then go for it. Just don't say I didn't warn you the next morning.

1.76/5  rDev -13.3%

Tis poured a clear bright yellow with a quickly disappearing head of foam.

Cornish notes dominate the nose and overall it has that sweet smell that is typical for the style.

The corn is in the taste and there's some bitterness there but when I finish a sip, I'm left with a rather nasty taste in my mouth.

The body is as thin as one can get and I find it really hard to continue with the session, even without taking the abv in the equation. I'm just glad I'm drinking this *cold*. Not worth a retry....ever!!

2.6/5  rDev +28.1%

What am I doing with this bottle? Where--where the hell am I? Where's my pants? Shit. Shit!

This is how you get DOWN. This is royalty, man. For those of us poor enough to even consider drinking malt liquor but can somehow afford the extra 50 cents to buy this instead of King Cobra it is a certain sign of classiness. It's like, even though I am illiterate and collect cans for a living at least I can still afford a Starter jacket. Yeah. At least I got that going for me.

Where are my PANTS? How the hell can I or anybody make it in this world without any pants on? Gonna have to peel off the label, I guess. Stick it against my junk and hope that people think I'm making a fashion statement. Can't tell if this is the 7% version or the 5.9% version, neither. I don't matter. What matters is the statement.

Dark gold with no head. Adjunct to adjunct, dust to dust. Like corn and water and a bit of ethanol. Really no off nodes but nothing nice about it, either. Tastes like it smells. Even at the end of the bottle, when it's getting dangerously warm, it's still drinkable.

2.68/5  rDev +32%

Yup, Thats right. I'm reviewing Olde English 800. I will try to be fair and concise in my review. After all, I'm reviewing this beer based on style, and not taste.

40oz twist off cap bottle, from a person that will remain nameless. To my credit, I did not purchase this beer. Rather it was given to me. For my reputation, I felt the need to mention that.

Smell, Whoa! Adjunct City, table of Olde English 800! Seriously though, rice, a strong corn aroma, and a biscuit malt flavor dominate the nose.

Taste, Whoa! Adjunct City, table of Olde English 800! Ok, I'm getting off point. The corn flavors dominate for sure. The husky rice flavors come through mid swig, trying to balance out the corn, but they do little but add more flavor to the beer. The obvious rice flavors lend body but take away from what should have been hop flavors. I can get a faint taste of Noble hops, but they're quickly lost within the adjunct filled body of this beer. A faint kiss of alcohol is in the finish, but all I can taste is a toasted corn flavor.

Overall, Thank God this isn't my go-to beer. Its got flavor, its got "some" body, and its got alcohol. Other than that, it has nothing going for it. Good brew for the style, but not my style, if you know what I mean. Even if I'm chillin' on the corner with my boys, we're going to grab a 4-0 of Dogfish Head's Liquor De Malt any day over this.

1.9/5  rDev -6.4%

I have had enough of this beer in my college days to provide an accurate review. This beer pours clear,straw yellow. The head is small with light lace.

The aroma is of malts,corn and alcohol with some skunk. I swear if I try hard enough I can still relive the way it tasted as it went down. I can still remember the smell as I eagerly cracked open a 40oz. The choice was due to it's strength (7.5)which means little to me now. The taste was really sweet & malty.

The feel is medium carbonation with. Medium body and a harsh finish.

Notes: This brew if I remember correctly was targeted at a young,urban/inner-city demographic. Excessive advertising in poor urban areas. Despite drinking this I never really liked it. Now the idea of malt liquor offends me and reminds me why I detest certain companies. This is not beer,it is a tool of destruction.

1.74/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear, yellow body with a small, white head.

Smell: Aroma of tired, stale malts, corn, and a few vegetal notes. Smells like a spoiled bag of Fritos.

Taste: Sweetish, maizey taste of raw white corn. No real hop bitterness. Hints of veggies and blanched flower stems near the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A cheap, get-you-drunk beer for when your life has hit rock bottom, one that makes you think "has my life really come to *this*?" Best served wrapped in a brown paper bag.

1.62/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a very light yellow color that is close to water - not much head not much lacing and below average carbonation. The dominate smell is mild malt with some hops coming through. First taste is light, sweet, and lacking in flavor - not much body at all. Not much taste. Not worth your time.

1.15/5  rDev -43.3%

I was recently in the liqour store with $5 and wanted to relive my college days so I decided to pick up some Olde E. What can I say that hasn't already been said about his terrible beer. It tastes like metal, corn, and stink. When I drink it, I want to get it down as soon as possible, no foam at all, with this beer. Same piss color that is know in this beer. Man stay clear of this one, only for the faint of heart, but it does catch up with you, I call this one the creeper.

1.06/5  rDev -47.8%

One taste is enough for this beast. It has an aroma of old malt and bad alcohol. There are some sour yeast smells as well. It has a dirty river color and not much head. It appears to be tan though. Body is think and syrupy which leads to poor drinkability. I will probably never again venture back to this stuff.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.