Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
1.28/5  rDev -44.3%

This was on sale at the LCBO for $3.50. Since I'm also buddies with most of the people their, they sold it to me for a toonie, rather surprised I was buying low quality beer. I told them I hadn't tried it, and they accepted that as a good answer. Since this is malt liquor, I drank straight from the bottle. Can't comment much on appearance except for what I could see through the glass. Little browner than a Colt 45. When swished, some foam would appear that would soon quickly disappear. Smelled alot of corn, cheap malt and something acidic. Tasted very grainy and sweet. Hey, is this candy? It is that cloyingly sweet. Shitty mouthfeel. Too much cheap malt texture with a corn field. Drinkable for drunks and whores. Undrinkable for me. (741 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -43.5%

Just finishing college and having a lot of experince of horrible beer and esp. malt beer, this is prob my favorite, still it ranks low compared of the full flavors that are out there, if one has to drink a malt beer, then def stay away from this, its awefull (258 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -43.5%

Appearance: Good head with some retention. The beer has a terrible copper color

Smell: This beers only smell is metallic. It's heavier on the malts than the hops.

Taste: This beer is mainly bitter and salty. It isn't very flavorful and it doesn't finish well. It leaves a dry aftertaste in the back of my throat. This beer is built poorly like a slackers weekend soapbox derby project. I feel like somebody just dumped the ingredients into a metal pot and went to catch a smoke. There is no love for beer in this product. It's just there to get drunk on. Olde English is one of the worst beers in the American macro malt liquor category

Mouthfeel: Slippery and watery. It doesn't have any body and I am forcing myself to swallow it. This beer is flat out of the can and doesn't have any carbonation. I suppose this is a trait of High Gravity beer, unfortunately carbonation might be the only thing that makes this beer drinkable

Drinkability: This beer isn't drinkable. Its unpleasant and leaves a terrible aftertaste. Avoid this beer. (1,040 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -43.5%

I have this wierd addiction to having some schwill now and again just to keep things grounded. On my way back from the hollywood bowl I needed some malt liquor so this was the pick. 40oz'er served in a brown paper bag. smelled like corn soaked in sugar and roasted on an open flame. Tasted very similair except take out the open flame. Sugar and Corn. Drink this fast as it is sewer material as it gets warm. You can tell this is a highly sugar based beer. not reccomended except when hidden in a brown paper bag. (513 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -42.2%

If you hate yourself...

Let's get straight to it- this is terrible stuff. Opening up the clear bottle the force carbonation dissipates quickly. The smell is acrid and nauseating, of corn and carrots(?)

Taste is a weak and anemic malt- like high-fructose corn syrup beer-soda and then a vomit-inducing amount of alcohol. That is the flavor. Sweet then alcohol.

I would only recommend this stuff if (a) your wife left you or (b) you lost your job and either way just need something to kill the pain and not cost a lot. (519 characters)

1.34/5  rDev -41.7%

First off a skunk aroma with strong adjunct. Not much to like in that.
Extremely clear. Big full white head. Golden yellow.
Quotes from the gallery that shared this.
"Tastes better than it smells"
"Not as bad as I thought or remembered"
From the song Ballad of Larry "Prozac for the poor"
"Tastes like when my neighbor hits a skunk with a combine"
No hop flavor and bitterness to cut sweetness only. A little dryness.
Water thin and ample carbonation.
A lark we had it, only a lark would make it return. (503 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -40.9%

OE800. Ghetto juice. I didn't get the right presentation because I didn't get a 40 of this, just a can.

A - Coppery yellow. Actually a bit of lacing and head retention. the color is somehow too fresh pee-like to be appealing to me.

S - discordance. Citric and nasty metallic. other than that, there are subtle grains and corn.

T - Gross watery weirdness. Nothing is complimentary, just harsh grainy flavors all clamoring over one another for your attention. it's like a fight in my mouth. Maybe that's why this beer is a precursor for so many ghetto brawls.

M - Watery. harsh carbonation.

D - I don't like this at all. I never will drink this again. (658 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -40%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Forget it... I don't care how many times this beer is mentioned in rap songs... Wouldn't drink this brew again if it was the only alcoholic drink offered at a party... actually ended up getting pretty nauseous after downing a 40 of this back in college... A lot of alcohol for your buck at 7.50% for a $1.99... Appearance is below mediocore and the smell is awful... not trying to sound like a beer snob, but those with class would avoid a hefty malt liquor like this unless for some reason you are a fan of this particular style... Mouthfeel was less than awful and the only upside of this brew is that once you made it past half the bottle, the other half goes down a bit easier... (683 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -40%

I've just had a couple of lambic brews in a row, and it occurred to me what a fool I am, for I haven't seen anyone wearing any trucker hats with the Lindemans logo on it, or seen any cool hipster struttin' down the avenue in a Hanssen's hoodie...though, I have seen both of those done with OE 800 gear! I'll never be fly being a Belgian beer guy, I can only get fresh if I'm down with the malt likka crew, right? ...right?
Well, let's see if I can do it. Got the 40, but it's not in a bag, so I lose points, and I'm going to pour it into a glass, so now I'm really screwed...Anyway...crackle goes the crown, color's the pale yellow that matches faded urine, I know it's cliched to say, but it's also true as it gets, with a big, puffy bone-white head that collapses assuredly down...nice while it lasts, though.
Aroma: soft and spare, cushy, grainy, slightly citric and strawish, nothing horrible, but nothing, nonetheless.
Taste: water. Grain-inflected water, slightly sweet, but, barely anything, with a cereal grit in the mouthfeel, if it can claim any at all. There are traces of malt in the taste, minor at best, and nothing else, this is a shadow of a beer, a whisper, a phantom, but one that has a trick up it's sleeve, like all the best of this variety. Oh, yeah, no bothersome flavor, but extra-boozy, that's why they drink this ...and only a few tastes in, I can feel the hurt and the headache beginning to gather forces on my mind, and I wonder whether this exercise in masochistic research is worth it at all (the bottle was a gift, as a joke, and the punchline arrived as soon as I announced I was drinking it), and I'm sure it's not...Time to send this swill down the drain and save my brain. There's a nice doppelbock calling my name, once I wash the taste of this garbage from my mouth. (1,805 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -37.8%

Thought about pouring this into a snifter, but decided to keep this beauty in the bottle wrapped in a paper bag. The "real" and only way to do it.

Appearance - Poured one for the homie and it left an almost pure white very thick head on the ground. Looking into the bottle I see an almost blinding golden yellow. No signs of any lacing at all.

Smell - Light scent of musty grains and metal.

Taste - If you can imagine putting a handful of pennies in your mouth, that would best describe the taste of this.

Mouthfeel - Light and watery, but it was just over carbonated.

Overall - It don't get any more gangsta than this. This was THE drink for me when I was young and broke. (679 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -37.4%

No clue why i wasted my dollar on this 24 oz can, i think teenage nostalgia may have hit me at the wrong time while in the corner store...but here goes.

A- Its got golden diet ginger ale look to it with a big frothy head that flattens soon after appearing.

S- This has a stench of an old bar mat. Old, and stale. Malty and yucky.

T- Pale metal coins, pennies to be exact, a mouthfull of pennies.

M- light and watery

D- There is none, if you can make it through a glass of this, then youre a better man than me. (516 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -36.5%

A friend just walked in the door yielding a full piss yellow 40 oz. bottle, and poured me a glass into my Boulevard tulip. Bottle reads best by May 20, 2013.

A - Semi-aggressive pour yielded about a finger and half of head that receded quicker than I would have imagined. Extremely clear yellow water appearance.

S - Smells of chemically treated malts and corn husk, with some dust. Giving off the basic standard Miller vibe.

T - This is definitely a macrobrew. Definitely a Miller product. Thicker and heavier than the usual Miller Lite, Miller Genuine Draft, etc. But no where near as carbonated, I will give it credit for that. Does it make it taste any better? Not at all. Typical malt liquor flavor. Chemically treated malts and corn husks, again.

M - Thin and watery, no real lingering flavor of any kind aside from the dusty chemical malt. I think I'm just going to say I'm glad none of the "flavors" really stick around.

In all, I can't think of a single good reason to go ahead and buy one of these, especially in a 40 oz. My friend who brought it didn't even buy it, it was given to him for free. I guess drink it if you've got it.

Miller Brewing Olde English 800---1.5/5 (1,187 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -35.7%

Warning: use of this product may be hazardous to your health. Keep this product away from all friends, pets and loved ones. If ingested, induce vomiting immediately and contact Poison Control.

This beer poured a light yellow color into a pint glass with a large 2 finger head that faded quickly. Carbonation was very high at first and then became flat after a few minutes. Aroma was corny and fruity with a hint of that rotting vege smell. Not good. Taste was just as bad. Very watery and boring with hints of the infamous rotting vegetables, corn grits and just a slight taste of malt. No hop or bittering flavor present. I didn't even pick up an alcoholic note, which you expect from this style. Mouthfeel was thin and bland. Drinkability was low due to the relative lack of flavor or body. The 40 became a drain pour after only about 10 ounces were gone. I don't understand what all the hoopla is with this beer. No wonder all the gangbangers are killing themselves. Something that tastes this bad would make a killer out of Gandhi. Not recommended at all. (1,062 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Someone bought me this as a joke, so here goes nothing...

OE is corn syrup yellow with a soapy head that vanishes in an instant. Corn, alcohol and crackers pretty much sums this stuff up. The mouthfeel is light and plywood dry. OE finishes with lingering cooked veggies and rubbing alcohol.

Wow. This stuff is bad. Enough said. (329 characters)

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I bought this beer as sort of a Ha Ha nostalgia beer. My gods what have I done to myself? I was going to serve this beer in the proper glass ware. That would mean drinking the beer from the bottle wrapped in a paper bag. By force of habit I poured the beer into a pint glass. The beer was served very cold! Oh well its time to get the Nate Ball rolling!

Appearance: If this beer has any highmarks it would be appearance. The beer pours a very fizzy pale yellow coloration. (This looks like something I emptied out of a catheter this morning.) The head was a short lived foamy white coloration.

Smell: The beer has a vaguely corny mineral / metallic smell.

Taste: The beer has lots of corny maltyness. The maltyness is ruined by the mineral flavors.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a very thin / anorexic body. The carbonation is stinging at times. The beer should be consumed fast and not allowed to warm up. When the beer hits warmer temps it is simply undrinkable.

The beer is what it is. This beer is a 7.5% alcohol delivery system. At ninety nine cents a double duece this is acceptable. Man this was a bad idea and it will be awhile before I buy another beer from the good old days. (1,211 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -33.5%

Ahh Old E .Another malt liquor review due to a sever lack of funds, from a 40oz. bottle into the Ol' Lady's Monteith's mug she gaffled from the Welsh Dragon in Wellington.

A-Clear urine yellow (I leave darker liquid in the toilet after a steady 3 day diet of water), and I mean CLEAR, I could read the pages of a book through this if not for the distortion of the glass mug. did have a two finger(soap sud colored) head when first poured, and dissolved slowly to a film, and even left some lace behind.

N-SUPRIZE!!! corn and light malts. some other adjunct funk in there too.

T- Almost isn't any. little bit of corn, and a bit soapy on the finish, and no I didn't pull the mug out of some fresh dish-water right before I poured this, it's the taste of the beer.

M-light and crisp, like uncle jemima likes it. less appealing than usual for the style.

D-Normally the saving grace of the malt liquor, however this one is not a good drink. yes it can be chugged, but to sip on it is painful, and ability to put it down quickly isn't all there is to drinkability. Overall a pretty lousy example of the style, could be worse though. could be hurricane. (1,151 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -33.5%

Another generally poor beer.
Pours a sickly thin light straw color with a thin white head, no lacing. Smells of wet hay, rotten corn stalks, booze, and general nastiness. Tastes like corn, sweetness, and nasty booze. Mouthfeel is very thin, too thin. And drinkability is poor. (277 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -33.5%

looks and tastes pretty bad. clear yellow, not much flavor... tastes like an old skunked or spoiled beer. but the smell is real bad...almost musty, like an old locked up attic. at least it's pretty light and VERY cheap and is usually worth a good laugh or two. Good for fun, not for beer (287 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -33%

Ok it had been years since I had this. It was what i drank when I first came to America and lived in a crappy part of metro-Atlanta called Hapeville..in a roach infested condo. Me and the wife had no money so the $5 i was allowed to spend on beer went on "40s" of this.
This time bought in the 24 oz can.
Poured into my pint glass ( weird eh?Malt liquor in a glass)..its actually not bad looking for a Malt Liquor..nice goldens with a large pure white head..leaves some lacing.
Things go drastically downhill with the "aroma"..stench more like it!,,horrible chemical like..the malts seem sick.
The taste ,even as chilled as I have this is mostly faintlly malty then horrible astringent at the end..I can only imagine this will get even more revolting as it warms.
KInd a rough mouthfeel.
Man Im happy I dont have to live in a roach condominium and drink this any more..at least though its better than Camo. (912 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I got arrested while drinking this when I was 15. To this day, I'm not sure if it was because of my age or my choice in drinks. This is definitely just for those who want to get drunk and don't want something to savor or enjoy. Avoid like the plague. Metallic and chemical. (273 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The infamous "8 Ball". This brings me back to high school and the Bonfare Market in Oakland. 69 cents would get you a forty. That was way too much money for this.

Out of the Fo-tee ounce. Pours dark yellow, not unlike urine, with a foamy white head. Aroma is of the streets, ethyl, corn, chemical sweetener, and dank funk. Taste is brutal. Bitter sweet, but in a bad way. In a really sweaty, corny gym sock way. It is impossible to quantify the malt-liquor brutality of this beverage unless you actually try it. (512 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -31.7%

I can't imagine drinking 40oz of this regularly. Unfortunately I didn't have any fallen homies to tip it for, so this was shared between 4 people (I know, we are SO ghetto). I wonder if the Belgian Monks tip a Westy when they lose one of theirs? I'd still take this over an A/B product any day. (294 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is not a very good malt liquor at all. Don't be fooled by the decent head and color, the taste and aroma are not good. The mouthfeel is almost wine like. Very strong adjunct flavor. I'm not a big fan of malt in the first place, but OE should certainly be stuffed in a brown paper bag when being consumed to not embarrass one self. Not recommended unless you are trying to end the night quick. (397 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -30.4%

I was at a party and a friend brought a 40 of Olde E, so I figured that I might as well try some, so I could rate it, and not have to pay for it. It was as clear as they come, no real head, smelt kind of sour.

The taste wasn't as bad as I expected. I've certainly have had worse. But this is just not my kind of beer. (318 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -30.4%

I guess I was feeling nostalgic but I had to throw in my 2 cents.
Look, if your'e drinking this then you are planning on getting lit on the cheap or just broke. Hopefully, if it is the former then you are in college, like I used to get down. Of course, I've been on the latter side also and it sucks, much like Old E. The light gold/yellow color is see thru when held up to the light, and the smell is just like rubbing alcohol. While the taste is horrendous, it at least does not contain a bitter aftertaste. Oh, and after slamming a few of these 40 ozs. expect a colossal headache the next morning. (600 characters)

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.