Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
3.16/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I've seen this beer in more homeless peoples hand than any other on the ground at parks too so when i first tried it i felt i was joining some unspoken covenant of dirt poor alcoholics and it wasn't half bad a little stronger than colt 45 but 7.5 alc makes sure you feel it and feel it quick a little heavy on the stomach but tolerable classic malt smell little bit too much carbonation kind of leaves you with a thizz face if you chug it but its cheap and gets the job done

3.2/5  rDev +47.5%

Appearance-- The beer is a golden color, no cloud, characteristic of a light beer.

Smell-- Smells like a very alcoholic light beer. Not unpleasant, but not "smelly" by any standard

Taste-- Slightly watery, light, with hidden potency. Goes down smooth.

Mouthfeel-- Light, heavily carbonated, easy finish.

Drinkability-- Large quantity? Desired. Frequency? Not so much.

3.2/5  rDev +47.5%

I bought several 40's of this a few years back in the middle of the summer.

A- Looks like regular beer, very clear.

S- smells pretty strong

T- I actually dont shotgun 40's so I kept this in the freezer while I poured mug after mug of this. Tastes pretty good ice cold. KEYWORD, ICE COLD.

M- Mouthfeel is normal, with carbonation. then again, I dont swish it around in my mouth.

D- This is my 2nd favorite malt liquor it gets you pretty trashed and is better than a lot of them out there.

3.24/5  rDev +49.3%

Poured some into a pint glass, drank the rest from a 40oz bottle.

Appearance/Smell - Appears a hazy copper/yellow with a small soapy head that dissipates very quickly, medium-high carbonation, and no lacing. Smells of very stale sweet raisins with musty malt. Lots of corn & mixed vegetables, with a hint of alcohol. As it warms a very sour, tart, alcoholic aroma develops (Very Unpleasant!)

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of sweet spoiled fruit with very stale malt. Some bitterness at the end, as well as a touch of alcohol. A little cardboard flavor as well. Tastes sweeter with a touch of more alcohol as it warms (Not bad) Mouthfeel is smooth, thick, and medium-full bodied.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Well the drinkability is quite good for what it is. I'd say about two 40oz bottles, nothing to offensive about the flavor. The smell however is another story, best consumed while very cold. Let this brew warm a bit & a very offensive sour, alcoholic aroma develops. I didn't like that at all, but that's nothing compared to other Malt Liqours.

It's very cheap, very drinkable, and hell, let me say what where all thinking. It gets the job done, I recommend it if your low on cash & badly need something strong but not offensive. This is good decent Malt Liquor. Cheers!

Rating to style..

A- golden straw color. Maybe a shade darker than your average swill. Soapy head that settles at an uneven film.

S- sweet corn smell.. Minor alcohol fumes.. Surprisingly not bad..

T- corn syrup sweetness.. A bit metallic. Alcoholic fumes are light in the mouth. Almost like a wet cardboard type finish. Not bad for a malt liquor.. finishes crisp and clean..

Mf- crisp easy going mf.

D- again I was surprised at how easy it was to drink.. Its not world class but for what it is.. Better than most..

Cheap & effective..

3.25/5  rDev +49.8%

A- Just looked like a mass produced American style lager when poured into a mug. Thick white head that shriveled up to nothing. It was very clear and golden with lots of bubbles.

S- Wet corn husks and very sweet barley malts.

T- Same as scent basically. Sweet corn husks and barley malts. There is a prominent grainy flavor. No alcohol taste was detected. Very, and I mean very, light hop oil taste was there. Virtually no hops were noticeable. It just reminds me of a sweeter High Life really. Pleasant as far as malt liquor is concerned.

M- Mouthfeel here is medium, but it's still pretty mild as far as American lagers are concerned. There is a bit of a corn syrup thickness. It is thicker and richer than a Miller High Life for sure. The drinkability is extremely high on this beer. This and private stock are the most palate friendly malt liquors I've ever had.

*I'm looking at this beer as a malt liquor and a American style lager only. If I'm looking at in that category, it's a good beer. Like I said in the mouthfeel, Private Stock and this are the best malt liquors I've ever had. Private Stock was my all time favorite malt liquor. But there is nothing wrong with this beer as a malt liquor. And at the price this beer is at, it's a winner. Don't knock Olde English 800 till you've tried it for yourself.

3.25/5  rDev +49.8%

12oz can poured into a pint. Say's brewed by the Olde English 800 Company... yeah, right... nice try Miller

Just a standard pale piss yellow. A little head actually formed on this one but faded very quickly.

Smells of metal, alcohol, and malt. Not much to the nose.

Very crisp, the carbonation gives it a very smooth body. Grain flavor, bad stale hop flavor, but that is the only thing I don't like about the flavor. The alcohol content is all over the place, on your palate in your throat, your nose, and it's like this all the way to the finish. I kinda like that.

I like it! I know a lot of people don't like this brew but I mean come on for three dollars a six pack you can't be that and get a decent buzz afterwards. Awesome, definitely coming back.

3.27/5  rDev +50.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.25

I don't understand why this beer has so many negative views. For 7 bucks I can get a 12 pack. That's better than most other brands that range from 8 to 12 bucks.

The taste is like good old carbonated water with a bit of a frothy golden feel to it. Slightly fruity but easy going down.

I know people enjoy their craft selection but com on we drink this stuff to feel good. Argue all you want about why you drink beer but honestly we all drink it for the same reason to varying degrees. For the price the quality of this beer is fairly decent.

3.35/5  rDev +54.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is definitely not an "awful". It is very drinkable...not too bad. After seeing the gutter ball ratings this beer had, I went down to the 7-eleven, tonite, and bought a bottle of Olde English for 3 and a half bucks. Cracked that shit and drank a good, not great, but an all around decent beer. You can't drink this beer and expect the Ferrari experience....know that you are not driving a Ferrari, but a station wagon...expect that and you will probably enjoy this beer. Nice yellow color with a pleasing flavor and taste, nothing distracting here.

3.42/5  rDev +57.6%

Serving type plastic 40 oz bottle, with a football style grip.

Appearance, the beer is a light golden color. Just enough to obscure anything viewed through the bottle.

Smell Is Malty And Almost Metallic.

Taste follows the smell quite nicely, I do detect a subtle banana flavor like a hefe, but very light on the tail end

Smooth as can be

Overall a perfect malt beverage. If you are looking for a world class beer, stay away. No hops or sour to speak of, but for an American Malt Beverage, this is amazing and it gets better after each sip.
Not a big fan of the new plastic bottles, but I feel like it would hurt less to get hit by one of these.
Seek out the glass vintage, it seems to taste better.

3.43/5  rDev +58.1%

Pours the typical malt liquor way. Slightly dark golden with a thing ring of bubbles. Typical corny/grainy smell and a hint of burnt veggies. Sweet tasting and not overly grainy. Lot of corn in the flavor, but this one is really smooth. Mouthfeel is surpisingly not sticky, considering the abv, yet it still holds firm in the mouth like a higher gravity malt liquor. Highly drinkable and a nice change from Steel Reserve. I think I've found my new favorite malt liquor.

3.43/5  rDev +58.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Olde English is royalty amongst malt liquor 40s. Its light-amber coloration, hi-test corn-blessed constitution, and overall appeal are second to none in the malt liquor game. Enough "slummin' w. da homiez" bullshit; either drink this, or don't. No need to mock the poor in your poor attempt to cop a buzz. Olde English.. it might not boast the 'imported taste' of Private Stock, but it does have 33 crowns on the label. I counted.

3.44/5  rDev +58.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear deep gold with a fair white head and amazing lacings. Aroma is malty and some corniness. Taste is very malty, bready, some wine like qualities, and just a hint of hop bitters. These products seem to be all about the malts. In my amateur explorations of the genre I think the best tasting MLs are at or below 6% abv. The rest develop a following for the easy drinkability and the effects on the brain. This brew is slightly in between the two extremes. Decent taste for the style and a good amount of alcohol. Not one I plan on having again unless getting drunk quickly is the objective. You can taste the Miller family resemblance as it reminds me of a Miller High Life that has more malts added until the 7.5% abv is achieved.

Edit 4/29/2014. I wanted to make clear we get a 7.5% OE 800 in Oregon. It is not labeled "HG" either. From a 24 ounce can.

3.54/5  rDev +63.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Olde English 800 brewed by Miller Brewing Co. This brew is a malt liquor and it pours out a nice golden color with a nice light white head. Olde English 800 has an ABV of 5.9%. This brew has the look and smell of most malt liquors. The smell is sweet, with grains and malts. Nothing special but nothing bad. This brew has a lot carbonation. The taste is smooth and crisp for being a malt liquor. You get a hint of sweetness, but it is not over powering. This brew goes down nice. Mouth feel is nice too, nothing bad about this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.5 out of 5. I will pick this brew up again.

3.63/5  rDev +67.3%

Well, Olde English 800 is one of the mildest malt liquors available, and has a relatively low (5.9%) alcohol level. It has a thick, white head, lots of lacing, and higher-than-usual carbonation (for this genre). Aroma is faint, but very grainy (corn). Appearance is yellow and clear. The taste is more American-style lager than the harsh, cloying presentation one usually encounters with the malt liquor style (and which appeals to me). Mouth feel is heavy and filling. Overall, I really like OE 800, and it is a classic. NOTE: only drink this out of the can as the clear bottle allows light to cause spoilage.

3.63/5  rDev +67.3%

Appearance: looks like room temperature piss

Smell: Smells like oily greasy sidewalk

Taste: tastes like ghetto juice

Mouthfeel: feels like grits

Drinkability: After you chug one down, you always have room for another!

Don't take my review the wrong way, "Old Gold" is a traditional part of my beer drinking life. I have consumed more of these 40's than probably any other beer on the planet. For a price tag under 2.50 this is a no brainer. Party at my house, bring some OE

3.64/5  rDev +67.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I can only speak for the can but this beer is alot better than scored here. I generally hit the Asian deli in Mayfair, Philadelphia after I pick up my girls on Friday night. Just the one 16oz is enough, and I call this my hood beer (not that Mayfair is that bad of a neighborhood). This is actually better (and way less expensive at a $1.35 can) than alot of mediocre craft Ive had.

Pretty golden to yellow color, pale, nice fluffy cotton candy head. Nice malty aroma, no off smells with a little fruity presence. Really good taste, nicely malted, hints of apple and pear (my preferred flavor profile for lagers, I guess a malt liquor is a lager) even a little hops noted. Crisp, clean, refreshing, no off tastes, very smooth easy drinking yet packs a nice little punch.

I look forward to and enjoy this beer every Friday night, and really, what else matters?

3.65/5  rDev +68.2%

24 oz. can poured into a pint glass. A rare visit to the Malt Liquor world I figured I'd see what this beverage is all about. Pours your standard clear straw in color, perhaps a bit more golden than many a Macro brew. Shows a better than average cap and lacing as well.

Nose is grainy and with a hint of citric hop to it. Corn notes are largely absent, emerging somewhat as the beer warms a bit along with some yeast notes.

Taste is slightly sweet but with no other defining characteristics to speak of. Perhaps again a hint of citric malt. Feel is creamy and with a bright carbonation which keeps a surface cap throughout the pour.

Not having a reference point for the style per se, I think this beer drinks fairly well and doesn't seem to deserve its bad rap. Certainly more enjoyable than an Adjunct Lager. My can was firmly carbonated and offered a notably better than anticipated experience.

3.65/5  rDev +68.2%

Drank straight from the 40 ounce bottle. Appearance was golden yellow. Strong scents of corn, rice, sort of a sweet smell. Lots of flavor corn, malt extracts, no real hop flavors. Mouthfeel is smooth, very easy to drink. Would I reach for another one? Yes.

3.7/5  rDev +70.5%

This stuff sits inside the 40 ounce bottle looking coppery and dangerous. Upon cracking the top, the fizzle escapes. As the bottle is hoisted to my mouth, the carbonation bubbles whip up into a tingly fury. This looks like an average malt liquor.

The smell is rather putrid and skunky. It carries a faint sulphur and charcoal scent atop the funky malt liquor aroma of malted liquor. Burnt malt dominates. It smells about average for a malt liquor.

The taste is shockingly sweet and smooth. The neck of the bottle holds a pretty decent flavor. After a fair number of pulls from the conspicuously large container, my spit and natural mixing processes cause a drift in the flavor. It then becomes a more alcoholic and bittered liquid. You know what, this is some good malt liquor. I am one malt liquor picker. I actually would choose this over a small few micro selections that I have tested out. Small and few being the key operatives. I am rating this with the style in mind, and apart from Schlitz Blue Bull, this 8 ball is an extraordinary example of good old heavy duty American made malt liquor. When I am looking to get into the magical realm of cheap mood alteration, this mofo is the golden ticket. I feel like a high school kid again with each successive tug from the mammoth missile of glass. After I finish the corn juice in the last swallow, I have an immense feeling of accomplishment.

Mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy and thick. Stingy bubbles remain throughout the bottle adding to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is good for the style. I had no trouble sinking the 8 ball. Exercise caution after drinking 2 jugs. Things can get foggy.

3.71/5  rDev +71%

Appearance - Pale, clear gold. Sudsy head with some staying power. Leaves a little lacing. Good for style.

Smell - Light adjuct odor. Sweet scent with no sign of hops.

Taste - Quite sweet and quite dry. You can taste the alcohol, but its not a bad as many others. Pretty high quality if one is judging, as one is in this category, simply on inoffensiveness.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Carbonation present not overpowering.

Drinkability - Probably the best of the malt liquors. Faint praise, but praise indeed. This stuff isn't as poor as most in the category, and is actually quite unobtrusive. That is until it kicks you in the ass.

3.72/5  rDev +71.4%

Preface: We are supposed to review within a given style. With that in mind...

About 2 years ago, I went through a phase where I drank 40s of malt liquor exclusively. During that period, I had many different kinds of 40. In fact www.40ozmaltliquor.com was my favorite page before I found this one. But I digress.

As far as 40s go, it doesn't get much better than this. This is the standard by which all others are judged. I can truely say that this doesn't actually taste "bad". It is very smooth with a solid malt backing. There is a slight bitterness, but it doesn't taste like it is caused by hops. Overall, there is just nothing like swilling down a 40 of OE and listening to some ATCQ.

3.76/5  rDev +73.3%

I was hesitant to try this brew because of the simple fact that it was a malt liquor. I had heard from people that malt liquor is disgusting and should never be consumed by anybody anywhere. But I decided that letting other people tell me what to drink was foolish. so I went to the store, picked up a 40 of OE, and tried it. it looked golden and basically like other domestic beers I have had. The smell was what made me start to think twice about it. it smelled almost exactly like a skunks ass. I slowly put the bottle to my lips and tipped it back a little. Not bad, I thought, so I took a big swill and swished it around in my mouth a little. It was the best cheap brew I had ever had. I quickly finished it in about 25 minutes and had a good strong buzz from it. The only thing I think Miller could improve about OE is the smell. other than that its a great cheap brew.

3.79/5  rDev +74.7%

Ah, Olde English. My first love.

As an ongoing series, I plan to knock out the malt liquor reviews. I will say that I am quite fond of Malt Liquor and will be reviewing TO STYLE, critics be damned.

Served out of the bottle, in a 40 koozie, as the good lord intended.

A- Light, golden honey, not much of a head, but fizzy enough carbonation. Not winning any awards, but a hell of a lot better than others similar to the style.

S- Corn, malty adjunct sweetness, mild cooked vegetables. Not O.E.'s selling point.

T- Much better. Light, crisp, sweet, a tad bit corn-y. Metallic, slightly hopped (but that could just be more metallic taste), not offensive or off-putting. I like it... but I drank enough of this stuff to develop my palate, lol.

M- This is where the mbeer shines. High marks for good carbonation, crisp mouthfeel, and a not-too-lingering taste.

D- High. I can down these like water. Tasty enough, though there are tastier malt liquors, this one had nothing major working against it. A solid package that doesn't dissapoint. I like it.

3.8/5  rDev +75.1%

poured from a 40oz bottle into my Duvel tulip...wait who am i kidding? i drank this bastard straight outta the bottle, wrapped in a brown paper bag as any post-recession crazed, red-blooded american would!

a: straw golden color with a foamy white head. not much else to speak of.

s: sweet malty aroma, slight notes of toasted corn and alcohol. c'mon, its malt liquor; the aroma is not supposed to be bold or pleasant.

t: more sweet malted corn flavor with a decent kick of alcohol. the flavor is definitely stronger in the west coast formula due to the 7.5% ABV. not quite as watery as the east coast version but it still finishes nice and dry as any true malt liquor does.

m: quite watery and boozy. not much malt flavor to cover the alcohol but enough to keep it from being totally undrinkable (in my opinion, of course).

o: this is probably my favorite true malt liquour on the market (no, Rogue's old "daddy's little helper" or Dogfish Head's "Liquor de Malt" do not count as a true malt liquour. sorry.). I'll take this over Colt 40, St. Ides, Mickey's or Cobra any day but Private Stock still might be my favorite. i was shocked to see this has an ABV of 7.5%. i did a bit of research and apparently the west coast gets a stronger version than we do back east. weird.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.