Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Someone bought me this as a joke, so here goes nothing...

OE is corn syrup yellow with a soapy head that vanishes in an instant. Corn, alcohol and crackers pretty much sums this stuff up. The mouthfeel is light and plywood dry. OE finishes with lingering cooked veggies and rubbing alcohol.

Wow. This stuff is bad. Enough said.

Rayek, Nov 18, 2011

1.52/5  rDev -25.1%

misternebbie, Sep 08, 2014
1.53/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I bought this beer as sort of a Ha Ha nostalgia beer. My gods what have I done to myself? I was going to serve this beer in the proper glass ware. That would mean drinking the beer from the bottle wrapped in a paper bag. By force of habit I poured the beer into a pint glass. The beer was served very cold! Oh well its time to get the Nate Ball rolling!

Appearance: If this beer has any highmarks it would be appearance. The beer pours a very fizzy pale yellow coloration. (This looks like something I emptied out of a catheter this morning.) The head was a short lived foamy white coloration.

Smell: The beer has a vaguely corny mineral / metallic smell.

Taste: The beer has lots of corny maltyness. The maltyness is ruined by the mineral flavors.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a very thin / anorexic body. The carbonation is stinging at times. The beer should be consumed fast and not allowed to warm up. When the beer hits warmer temps it is simply undrinkable.

The beer is what it is. This beer is a 7.5% alcohol delivery system. At ninety nine cents a double duece this is acceptable. Man this was a bad idea and it will be awhile before I buy another beer from the good old days.

nlmartin, Mar 03, 2007
1.53/5  rDev -24.6%

run away as fast as you can.

i'd never tried malt liquor before, and thought it'd be "fun" to get a 40 of something just to try it out. mistake. there very well may be better ones to get in this category, but olde english 800 doesn't give me much hope.

A - copper colour. looks like it could possibly be nice. you can tell it's going to be pretty malty and in your face.

S - this is the best part of the beer. but it's a trap.

T - just awful. really really really bad. seriously. super malty, nothing else. tastes really... OLD. leaves a terrible taste in your mouth. i'm about 1/6 through with mine and i am pretty much done.

M - nothing really to speak of here. tastes so bad you don't really want to keep it in your mouth long enough to "feel" it.

D - none to speak of.

i only spent $5 on this 40oz/1.18L bottle, and i feel a little ripped off. but oh well, lesson learned.

the bottom line is: don't even bother.

gross.

exnx, Dec 11, 2010
1.55/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The infamous "8 Ball". This brings me back to high school and the Bonfare Market in Oakland. 69 cents would get you a forty. That was way too much money for this.

Out of the Fo-tee ounce. Pours dark yellow, not unlike urine, with a foamy white head. Aroma is of the streets, ethyl, corn, chemical sweetener, and dank funk. Taste is brutal. Bitter sweet, but in a bad way. In a really sweaty, corny gym sock way. It is impossible to quantify the malt-liquor brutality of this beverage unless you actually try it.

magictrokini, Dec 10, 2008
1.55/5  rDev -23.6%

Ok it had been years since I had this. It was what i drank when I first came to America and lived in a crappy part of metro-Atlanta called Hapeville..in a roach infested condo. Me and the wife had no money so the $5 i was allowed to spend on beer went on "40s" of this.
This time bought in the 24 oz can.
Poured into my pint glass ( weird eh?Malt liquor in a glass)..its actually not bad looking for a Malt Liquor..nice goldens with a large pure white head..leaves some lacing.
Things go drastically downhill with the "aroma"..stench more like it!,,horrible chemical like..the malts seem sick.
The taste ,even as chilled as I have this is mostly faintlly malty then horrible astringent at the end..I can only imagine this will get even more revolting as it warms.
KInd a rough mouthfeel.
Man Im happy I dont have to live in a roach condominium and drink this any more..at least though its better than Camo.

Reidrover, Feb 26, 2004
1.55/5  rDev -23.6%

looks and tastes pretty bad. clear yellow, not much flavor... tastes like an old skunked or spoiled beer. but the smell is real bad...almost musty, like an old locked up attic. at least it's pretty light and VERY cheap and is usually worth a good laugh or two. Good for fun, not for beer

shanem, Apr 01, 2009
1.55/5  rDev -23.6%

I can't imagine drinking 40oz of this regularly. Unfortunately I didn't have any fallen homies to tip it for, so this was shared between 4 people (I know, we are SO ghetto). I wonder if the Belgian Monks tip a Westy when they lose one of theirs? I'd still take this over an A/B product any day.

Dogbrick, Sep 20, 2002
1.55/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I got arrested while drinking this when I was 15. To this day, I'm not sure if it was because of my age or my choice in drinks. This is definitely just for those who want to get drunk and don't want something to savor or enjoy. Avoid like the plague. Metallic and chemical.

biggmike, Mar 03, 2008
1.58/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is not a very good malt liquor at all. Don't be fooled by the decent head and color, the taste and aroma are not good. The mouthfeel is almost wine like. Very strong adjunct flavor. I'm not a big fan of malt in the first place, but OE should certainly be stuffed in a brown paper bag when being consumed to not embarrass one self. Not recommended unless you are trying to end the night quick.

Rootdog316, May 04, 2009
1.6/5  rDev -21.2%

Yellow color with an oily texture that tends to stick in one's mouth. As far as 40s go it beats most I have tried though. That doesn't say much. If you're really itching for a drink and can find some change in the couch, you could do worse. Like Colt 45. I didn't mind rating this beer with a little bit of a curve on the drinkability factor because most educated people know of it's true purpose. "Drunk for cheap" It has no other reason to exist. Seriously, look it up on ebay and see what kind of items show up, especially the old ads for it. Ghetto-fabulous.

Likeburning, Oct 18, 2008
1.6/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a very light yellow color that is close to water - not much head not much lacing and below average carbonation. The dominate smell is mild malt with some hops coming through. First taste is light, sweet, and lacking in flavor - not much body at all. Not much taste. Not worth your time.

ATLbeerDog, May 11, 2008

JALN13, Sep 26, 2014
1.63/5  rDev -19.7%

I was at a party and a friend brought a 40 of Olde E, so I figured that I might as well try some, so I could rate it, and not have to pay for it. It was as clear as they come, no real head, smelt kind of sour.

The taste wasn't as bad as I expected. I've certainly have had worse. But this is just not my kind of beer.

Amalak, Feb 11, 2009
1.63/5  rDev -19.7%

Continuing on my self-punishment tour of some of the worst brews ever, I take myself to a true hobo classic... the Olde English tallboy.

Drank straight up out of the 24oz can.

S: Smells like old stale macro on first whiff. I am not exaggerating. You know the smell of old beer that has sat out overnight after a party and you have to clean it up the morning after? That's what this is like. Slight sweetness, alcohol and metallic twang to bring it all together into one horrific package.

T: Kind of bitter, kind of sweet. A chore to swallow. Not too heavy on the alcohol but somehow it still burns. Consider it a perk, or part of the experience. Lingers on the palate like a bad cigarette.

Overall: Not something I'll ever subject myself to again. There are way better means of getting trashed than this, and though it's cheap, it's not at all worth the gagging and self loathing.

BucBasil, Mar 31, 2011
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.