Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
nlmartin

1.53/5  rDev -25%

I bought this beer as sort of a Ha Ha nostalgia beer. My gods what have I done to myself? I was going to serve this beer in the proper glass ware. That would mean drinking the beer from the bottle wrapped in a paper bag. By force of habit I poured the beer into a pint glass. The beer was served very cold! Oh well its time to get the Nate Ball rolling!

Appearance: If this beer has any highmarks it would be appearance. The beer pours a very fizzy pale yellow coloration. (This looks like something I emptied out of a catheter this morning.) The head was a short lived foamy white coloration.

Smell: The beer has a vaguely corny mineral / metallic smell.

Taste: The beer has lots of corny maltyness. The maltyness is ruined by the mineral flavors.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a very thin / anorexic body. The carbonation is stinging at times. The beer should be consumed fast and not allowed to warm up. When the beer hits warmer temps it is simply undrinkable.

The beer is what it is. This beer is a 7.5% alcohol delivery system. At ninety nine cents a double duece this is acceptable. Man this was a bad idea and it will be awhile before I buy another beer from the good old days.

03-03-2007 14:58:15 | More by nlmartin
exnx

Ontario (Canada)

1.53/5  rDev -25%

run away as fast as you can.

i'd never tried malt liquor before, and thought it'd be "fun" to get a 40 of something just to try it out. mistake. there very well may be better ones to get in this category, but olde english 800 doesn't give me much hope.

A - copper colour. looks like it could possibly be nice. you can tell it's going to be pretty malty and in your face.

S - this is the best part of the beer. but it's a trap.

T - just awful. really really really bad. seriously. super malty, nothing else. tastes really... OLD. leaves a terrible taste in your mouth. i'm about 1/6 through with mine and i am pretty much done.

M - nothing really to speak of here. tastes so bad you don't really want to keep it in your mouth long enough to "feel" it.

D - none to speak of.

i only spent $5 on this 40oz/1.18L bottle, and i feel a little ripped off. but oh well, lesson learned.

the bottom line is: don't even bother.

gross.

12-11-2010 02:34:18 | More by exnx
magictrokini

1.55/5  rDev -24%

The infamous "8 Ball". This brings me back to high school and the Bonfare Market in Oakland. 69 cents would get you a forty. That was way too much money for this.

Out of the Fo-tee ounce. Pours dark yellow, not unlike urine, with a foamy white head. Aroma is of the streets, ethyl, corn, chemical sweetener, and dank funk. Taste is brutal. Bitter sweet, but in a bad way. In a really sweaty, corny gym sock way. It is impossible to quantify the malt-liquor brutality of this beverage unless you actually try it.

12-10-2008 19:31:18 | More by magictrokini
Reidrover

Oregon

1.55/5  rDev -24%

Ok it had been years since I had this. It was what i drank when I first came to America and lived in a crappy part of metro-Atlanta called Hapeville..in a roach infested condo. Me and the wife had no money so the $5 i was allowed to spend on beer went on "40s" of this.
This time bought in the 24 oz can.
Poured into my pint glass ( weird eh?Malt liquor in a glass)..its actually not bad looking for a Malt Liquor..nice goldens with a large pure white head..leaves some lacing.
Things go drastically downhill with the "aroma"..stench more like it!,,horrible chemical like..the malts seem sick.
The taste ,even as chilled as I have this is mostly faintlly malty then horrible astringent at the end..I can only imagine this will get even more revolting as it warms.
KInd a rough mouthfeel.
Man Im happy I dont have to live in a roach condominium and drink this any more..at least though its better than Camo.

02-26-2004 02:56:07 | More by Reidrover
shanem

Vermont

1.55/5  rDev -24%

looks and tastes pretty bad. clear yellow, not much flavor... tastes like an old skunked or spoiled beer. but the smell is real bad...almost musty, like an old locked up attic. at least it's pretty light and VERY cheap and is usually worth a good laugh or two. Good for fun, not for beer

04-01-2009 16:19:14 | More by shanem
Dogbrick

1.55/5  rDev -24%

I can't imagine drinking 40oz of this regularly. Unfortunately I didn't have any fallen homies to tip it for, so this was shared between 4 people (I know, we are SO ghetto). I wonder if the Belgian Monks tip a Westy when they lose one of theirs? I'd still take this over an A/B product any day.

09-20-2002 07:35:32 | More by Dogbrick
biggmike

Mississippi

1.55/5  rDev -24%

I got arrested while drinking this when I was 15. To this day, I'm not sure if it was because of my age or my choice in drinks. This is definitely just for those who want to get drunk and don't want something to savor or enjoy. Avoid like the plague. Metallic and chemical.

03-03-2008 10:22:45 | More by biggmike
Rootdog316

1.58/5  rDev -22.5%

This is not a very good malt liquor at all. Don't be fooled by the decent head and color, the taste and aroma are not good. The mouthfeel is almost wine like. Very strong adjunct flavor. I'm not a big fan of malt in the first place, but OE should certainly be stuffed in a brown paper bag when being consumed to not embarrass one self. Not recommended unless you are trying to end the night quick.

05-04-2009 21:46:34 | More by Rootdog316
Likeburning

Tennessee

1.6/5  rDev -21.6%

Yellow color with an oily texture that tends to stick in one's mouth. As far as 40s go it beats most I have tried though. That doesn't say much. If you're really itching for a drink and can find some change in the couch, you could do worse. Like Colt 45. I didn't mind rating this beer with a little bit of a curve on the drinkability factor because most educated people know of it's true purpose. "Drunk for cheap" It has no other reason to exist. Seriously, look it up on ebay and see what kind of items show up, especially the old ads for it. Ghetto-fabulous.

10-18-2008 18:21:04 | More by Likeburning
ATLbeerDog

Georgia

1.6/5  rDev -21.6%

Pours a very light yellow color that is close to water - not much head not much lacing and below average carbonation. The dominate smell is mild malt with some hops coming through. First taste is light, sweet, and lacking in flavor - not much body at all. Not much taste. Not worth your time.

05-11-2008 02:17:19 | More by ATLbeerDog
Amalak

1.63/5  rDev -20.1%

I was at a party and a friend brought a 40 of Olde E, so I figured that I might as well try some, so I could rate it, and not have to pay for it. It was as clear as they come, no real head, smelt kind of sour.

The taste wasn't as bad as I expected. I've certainly have had worse. But this is just not my kind of beer.

02-11-2009 04:30:44 | More by Amalak
BucBasil

South Carolina

1.63/5  rDev -20.1%

Continuing on my self-punishment tour of some of the worst brews ever, I take myself to a true hobo classic... the Olde English tallboy.

Drank straight up out of the 24oz can.

S: Smells like old stale macro on first whiff. I am not exaggerating. You know the smell of old beer that has sat out overnight after a party and you have to clean it up the morning after? That's what this is like. Slight sweetness, alcohol and metallic twang to bring it all together into one horrific package.

T: Kind of bitter, kind of sweet. A chore to swallow. Not too heavy on the alcohol but somehow it still burns. Consider it a perk, or part of the experience. Lingers on the palate like a bad cigarette.

Overall: Not something I'll ever subject myself to again. There are way better means of getting trashed than this, and though it's cheap, it's not at all worth the gagging and self loathing.

03-31-2011 04:34:59 | More by BucBasil
ithacabaron

1.63/5  rDev -20.1%

One dollar and ten cents for the 22 oz. bottle.

Saw no need to pour this one into a glass -- after all, most of those who drink this libation do so from the bottle, and so will I. Shows very bright yellow through the bottle though.

Smell is strong ethyl alcohol, creamed corn, and corn syrup.

Taste, is much the same. Alcohol hides well though (I suppose), but only because the taste is nauseatingly sweet and sugary, and a bit oily. This, of course, is because the primary fermented material is corn syrup, and not malt.

I don't think a hop ever got within 500 feet of the brew tank.

Carbonation is high, but it becomes this beer's only saving grace, as it keeps the sweetness from being completely overpowering.

Drink this as cold as you can. It gets nasty the warmer it gets. I must say though, after I drank this, my stomach was mad at me for quite a bit.

10-08-2003 02:25:34 | More by ithacabaron
clayrock81

1.63/5  rDev -20.1%

I guess I was feeling nostalgic but I had to throw in my 2 cents.
Look, if your'e drinking this then you are planning on getting lit on the cheap or just broke. Hopefully, if it is the former then you are in college, like I used to get down. Of course, I've been on the latter side also and it sucks, much like Old E. The light gold/yellow color is see thru when held up to the light, and the smell is just like rubbing alcohol. While the taste is horrendous, it at least does not contain a bitter aftertaste. Oh, and after slamming a few of these 40 ozs. expect a colossal headache the next morning.

11-17-2007 21:50:32 | More by clayrock81
FUNKPhD

1.63/5  rDev -20.1%

Personally, I enjoy drinking OE800. There really is nothing to like about it. Its by no means the best 40oz of malt liquor you can get.

I've seen several colors of OE800, but the most consistent one is a boy's room yellow. The odor on this stuff isn't something to get excited about. It smells like stale, stagnant air in a locker room. The taste is actually worse than the smell leads on. Its very rough, and it you're not built to consume bad things, this may be an issue. The only mouthfeel is you trying to choke it down, and keep it down.

Overall, if you want a 40oz of malt liquor, get a mickey's. The only reason I can see someone drinking this stuff is if they've acquired a taste for it. There's really no reason that explain why I like it, but its a bit more tolerable with orange juice.

08-31-2011 01:17:29 | More by FUNKPhD
daliandragon

1.65/5  rDev -19.1%

Yeah, I'm really drinking OE. It's hard for me to believe too. This was what to drink when you wanted to get wasted, get in a fight, break up with your girlfriend, chuck a bike into a pool and wake up oblivious the next morning. And here I am.

Remarkable, almost scary clarity here, with a quickly disintingrating head and plenty of carbonation bubbles. The smell is wheaty, corny, and messy. I'll be honest, I threw this one down my throat to avoid the taste but it will not be denied. The aftertaste of rancid corn and dry sawdust come creeping back to your tongue like the unkillable monster in a horror movie. Mouthfeel is thin and a little soapy. The stomach doesn't care for this any more than the taste buds do.

This is terrible but as a malt liquor it has certain advantages in that it is expected to taste like roadkill scrotum. Hey, if you want to get banged up once in a while (and who doesn't?),well, this stuff is a really cheap way to do it.

10-15-2010 01:23:05 | More by daliandragon
steven9000

Alberta (Canada)

1.65/5  rDev -19.1%

This one is the Canadian 8% version.

golden straw color with medium carbonation. The head is off white tight one finger head

smell- It has a really sweet alcoholic smell and thats about it.

taste- Same as the taste its really sweet and alcoholic. pretty bad if you ask me.

mouthfeel- its a medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation

overall- What can you really say about this beer? Its pretty gross. If you want to get drunk for cheap then buy a olde English 800 thats all its good for.

03-17-2011 03:39:15 | More by steven9000
Drew966

1.65/5  rDev -19.1%

Olde English 800 drank straight from a clear thirty two ounce bottle. Color is orange. The smell is fairly nasty. Tastes like adjunct run amuck. This is fairly bad, not the worst malt liquor I've had, but not good either. For malt liquor connisouers and rappers only. Avoid unless you can only scrape up enough money for this.

05-14-2006 23:00:34 | More by Drew966
stckhndlr

1.65/5  rDev -19.1%

A- Dandelion/Goldenrod color with a crisp white head but it doesn't stick around long.

S- Wow. this smells really bad. Metallic, skunky, yeasty and just a ton of malt.

T- Also a metallic flat malty taste with a super grainy finish that just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

M- Surprising medium body feel with quite a bit of carbonation.

O- With the combination of the smell and the aftertaste it leaves I can't see myself buy this one ever again. Tried it just to say that I had. Now I have.. Never again.

02-04-2012 14:42:52 | More by stckhndlr
thagr81us

South Carolina

1.68/5  rDev -17.6%

I have my doppelganger to thanks for this one as he spent a whole $1.29 + tax to pick this one up for me at a local Marathon on the way to a birthday party! Thanks??? Served from 40 oz bottle into a shaker for the first glass then consumed straight from the bottle for the rest. Unfortunately there wasn’t as brown paper bag as the gas station didn’t have any to give us. Poured golden yellow with a one and a half off-white head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, sugar, alcohol, and grain. The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, grain, wheat, and alcohol. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty bad brew. I always joked with my friends about drinking this one at parties to see the look on people’s faces. Well, apparently my best friend remembered this and made it happen. Just so you know this thing is bad. I really wish it would have been higher in ABV so I would at least be so wasted after that I had forgotten that I had drank it. So after all this I’m wondering around the party with no buzz and looking for something else to drink. Luckily there was another 40 oz laying around, so I went with that obviously. But about the beer, not a lot but grain and corn going on here with a hint of sugar. Great for party gifts and hobos under the overpass, but if you have any class at all you will avoid this at all costs.

09-21-2012 10:43:35 | More by thagr81us
BARFLYB

1.68/5  rDev -17.6%

16oz can into a regular kitchen glass and then some, when times are tough you gotta do what you gotta do, Right? Well maybe not..

Eight hundred brang the noise when the can was popped but no beer exploded from the alluminum, thank god, I thought this would be a gusher. Burnt yellow with a tannish outline and no sediment at all. Clear enough to see through the glass. A one inch loose bright white head left no lace and bounced quickly.

"You'll never get out of this maze." 800 smells like a corn field. While that is the main scent a big malt presense is also up there, well duh, it's a malt liquor Barry. The malts give off a sweet scent, but I would not call it the usual caramel. No alcohol detected in the scent which I was actually expecting.

Corn husks and sweet malt, that pretty much sums up the taste of this popular ML. Upon sipping this, I was taken back in time about 15 years ago when I was a little badass and drinking 40's of this stuff with the village posse. No hops at all, do they even use hops in this? Is this even beer? Well yes it is, in theory, but also in theory, communism works!

The feel is a bit lighter than medium while the crispness of the carbonation is not as high as I remembered. It goes down pretty easy but in no way is this a easy beer to drink. Not big on a lasting aftertaste and the alcohol is surprisingly well hidden. I could only take small sips of this, I mean orca small. If I took bigger sips of this I would throw it up. The only reason I did not give this a F is because it did not make me sick afterwards.

I don't know how some people can stomach this stuff, different strokes for different folks I guess.

11-05-2009 03:02:15 | More by BARFLYB
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

1.7/5  rDev -16.7%

40oz "Imported" bottle, from the 'Olde English 800 Brewing Company', Milwaukee, WI. Ahhh, good ol' product origin obfuscation. This one has 8% ABV for northern consumption pleasures (Our street people need the warmth more.)

This beer pours a clear, effervescent medium golden yellow colour, with two fingers of tight, light foamy white head, which maintains surprising retention, eventually rendering some random drooping painted lace around the glass. This distracting appearance almost belies the smell of this abomination from across the desk - cheap beer on steroids, the stale creamed corn graininess and metallic alcohol hanging gruesomely in the air. Getting close enough to taste it takes a bit of acclimatization, but, once there, the taste is more sweet corn mash, the booziness evolving a nail polish character that reminds me of living with my sisters long ago. Most of the carbonation must have seen what I have seen and bailed, 'cause there ain't much going on there, which of course paves the way for a nice, smooth, cloying as fuck mouthfeel. The finish is drier that I had expected, but using the twin bills of alcohol and musty grain to achieve the effect.

After trying a few of the locally available hobo flasks, and trying to find something salvageable in each, I'm at a loss here. Sure, I looks all right, but the slope is pretty steep after that. As the last of my first (and last) glass slowly drains, my taste buds feel, well, dead. The mustiness and unrestrained lack of brewing character leave me morose. Given the cost of any beer around here, the fact that this (thankfully) set me back only about 4 bucks, still seems like hollow consolation at the moment.

05-10-2011 23:17:01 | More by biboergosum
beertaster13

Washington

1.7/5  rDev -16.7%

Drinking OE isn't the best experience in the world. A very skunky smelling and tasting beer. The only plus side to this is that you will get drunker quicker, but lets face it is that all that fun? Anyway when I was in high school I drank these constantly so recently I went back for a test taste. OE comes in a 40 oz bottle with a red and gold label. Beer is piss type yellow with no head. You do not want this beer in your mouth for long. The quicker it is in your throat the better. The only time to drink this is if you only have 2 bucks and you have a party to go to.

02-18-2004 02:09:07 | More by beertaster13
DoubleJ

1.7/5  rDev -16.7%

The final entry in the small contest known as the High-Low Invitational, where I try out a few unusual styles with a wide range of ABV. Bud Ice Light beat out Coors NA for who was fairer in the land, but now comes a malt liquor packing a 7.5 ABV punch standing in the former's way to which brew takes home the prize in this small contest. Inspired by The Game's track "Ol' English" (younger folks might know this), on to the beer:

I poured it out of its 16 ounce can into a pint glass just to see the look. Looks kind of like pale lager, but has a surprising head that holds well. The smell could be more polished; corn fructose, alcoholic, and a bit of husk. Now comes the punishment; there's a corn syrup aroma in the back of the taste, but is mainly dominated by a sharp stab of alcohol and metal. Very painful to consume. I can't imagine drinking this to get drunk. Stay away from flammable objects if you do, as you'll feel the alcoholic fumes go down your throat.

Now to reveal the winner: And the winner is...

Bud Ice Light!

A very exciting meet we had here, recognizing the beer styles untested to most. Hats off to Light Ice, Malt Liquor, and Non-Alcoholic for their participation. Check my previous reviews to see what you missed of this contest. Good night everyone!

03-07-2007 05:14:59 | More by DoubleJ
erz316

Indiana

40 oz

wow. I've never had a beer that tastes like the way a wet-cat smells. this shit is pretty rank. the color is like the worst bmc piss has to offer. the smell is, like I said, as a wet-animal. the taste, well, anything could pretty much taste better. the feel is ridiculous bad: super thin and the d-bility is needless to say, horrible.

01-16-2010 03:52:44 | More by erz316
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.