Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.

Olde English 800 is one of America's leading malt liquor brands. Commonly referred to as "OE800," it offers smooth, rich taste with a slightly fruity aroma that is a favorite among malt liquor drinkers. OE wears the crown because it is the King of Malt Liquors.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
1.62/5  rDev -25.3%

Yellow color with an oily texture that tends to stick in one's mouth. As far as 40s go it beats most I have tried though. That doesn't say much. If you're really itching for a drink and can find some change in the couch, you could do worse. Like Colt 45. I didn't mind rating this beer with a little bit of a curve on the drinkability factor because most educated people know of it's true purpose. "Drunk for cheap" It has no other reason to exist. Seriously, look it up on ebay and see what kind of items show up, especially the old ads for it. Ghetto-fabulous.

1.62/5  rDev -25.3%

run away as fast as you can.

i'd never tried malt liquor before, and thought it'd be "fun" to get a 40 of something just to try it out. mistake. there very well may be better ones to get in this category, but olde english 800 doesn't give me much hope.

A - copper colour. looks like it could possibly be nice. you can tell it's going to be pretty malty and in your face.

S - this is the best part of the beer. but it's a trap.

T - just awful. really really really bad. seriously. super malty, nothing else. tastes really... OLD. leaves a terrible taste in your mouth. i'm about 1/6 through with mine and i am pretty much done.

M - nothing really to speak of here. tastes so bad you don't really want to keep it in your mouth long enough to "feel" it.

D - none to speak of.

i only spent $5 on this 40oz/1.18L bottle, and i feel a little ripped off. but oh well, lesson learned.

the bottom line is: don't even bother.

1.62/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a very light yellow color that is close to water - not much head not much lacing and below average carbonation. The dominate smell is mild malt with some hops coming through. First taste is light, sweet, and lacking in flavor - not much body at all. Not much taste. Not worth your time.

1.63/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

One dollar and ten cents for the 22 oz. bottle.

Saw no need to pour this one into a glass -- after all, most of those who drink this libation do so from the bottle, and so will I. Shows very bright yellow through the bottle though.

Smell is strong ethyl alcohol, creamed corn, and corn syrup.

Taste, is much the same. Alcohol hides well though (I suppose), but only because the taste is nauseatingly sweet and sugary, and a bit oily. This, of course, is because the primary fermented material is corn syrup, and not malt.

I don't think a hop ever got within 500 feet of the brew tank.

Carbonation is high, but it becomes this beer's only saving grace, as it keeps the sweetness from being completely overpowering.

Drink this as cold as you can. It gets nasty the warmer it gets. I must say though, after I drank this, my stomach was mad at me for quite a bit.

1.63/5  rDev -24.9%

Personally, I enjoy drinking OE800. There really is nothing to like about it. Its by no means the best 40oz of malt liquor you can get.

I've seen several colors of OE800, but the most consistent one is a boy's room yellow. The odor on this stuff isn't something to get excited about. It smells like stale, stagnant air in a locker room. The taste is actually worse than the smell leads on. Its very rough, and it you're not built to consume bad things, this may be an issue. The only mouthfeel is you trying to choke it down, and keep it down.

Overall, if you want a 40oz of malt liquor, get a mickey's. The only reason I can see someone drinking this stuff is if they've acquired a taste for it. There's really no reason that explain why I like it, but its a bit more tolerable with orange juice.

1.64/5  rDev -24.4%

A- Dandelion/Goldenrod color with a crisp white head but it doesn't stick around long.

S- Wow. this smells really bad. Metallic, skunky, yeasty and just a ton of malt.

T- Also a metallic flat malty taste with a super grainy finish that just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

M- Surprising medium body feel with quite a bit of carbonation.

O- With the combination of the smell and the aftertaste it leaves I can't see myself buy this one ever again. Tried it just to say that I had. Now I have.. Never again.

1.65/5  rDev -24%

Drinking OE isn't the best experience in the world. A very skunky smelling and tasting beer. The only plus side to this is that you will get drunker quicker, but lets face it is that all that fun? Anyway when I was in high school I drank these constantly so recently I went back for a test taste. OE comes in a 40 oz bottle with a red and gold label. Beer is piss type yellow with no head. You do not want this beer in your mouth for long. The quicker it is in your throat the better. The only time to drink this is if you only have 2 bucks and you have a party to go to.

1.65/5  rDev -24%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Olde English 800 drank straight from a clear thirty two ounce bottle. Color is orange. The smell is fairly nasty. Tastes like adjunct run amuck. This is fairly bad, not the worst malt liquor I've had, but not good either. For malt liquor connisouers and rappers only. Avoid unless you can only scrape up enough money for this.

1.66/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This one is the Canadian 8% version.

golden straw color with medium carbonation. The head is off white tight one finger head

smell- It has a really sweet alcoholic smell and thats about it.

taste- Same as the taste its really sweet and alcoholic. pretty bad if you ask me.

mouthfeel- its a medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation

overall- What can you really say about this beer? Its pretty gross. If you want to get drunk for cheap then buy a olde English 800 thats all its good for.

1.66/5  rDev -23.5%

40 oz

wow. I've never had a beer that tastes like the way a wet-cat smells. this shit is pretty rank. the color is like the worst bmc piss has to offer. the smell is, like I said, as a wet-animal. the taste, well, anything could pretty much taste better. the feel is ridiculous bad: super thin and the d-bility is needless to say, horrible.

1.67/5  rDev -23%

Continuing on my self-punishment tour of some of the worst brews ever, I take myself to a true hobo classic... the Olde English tallboy.

Drank straight up out of the 24oz can.

S: Smells like old stale macro on first whiff. I am not exaggerating. You know the smell of old beer that has sat out overnight after a party and you have to clean it up the morning after? That's what this is like. Slight sweetness, alcohol and metallic twang to bring it all together into one horrific package.

T: Kind of bitter, kind of sweet. A chore to swallow. Not too heavy on the alcohol but somehow it still burns. Consider it a perk, or part of the experience. Lingers on the palate like a bad cigarette.

Overall: Not something I'll ever subject myself to again. There are way better means of getting trashed than this, and though it's cheap, it's not at all worth the gagging and self loathing.

1.68/5  rDev -22.6%

I have my doppelganger to thanks for this one as he spent a whole $1.29 + tax to pick this one up for me at a local Marathon on the way to a birthday party! Thanks??? Served from 40 oz bottle into a shaker for the first glass then consumed straight from the bottle for the rest. Unfortunately there wasn’t as brown paper bag as the gas station didn’t have any to give us. Poured golden yellow with a one and a half off-white head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, sugar, alcohol, and grain. The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, grain, wheat, and alcohol. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty bad brew. I always joked with my friends about drinking this one at parties to see the look on people’s faces. Well, apparently my best friend remembered this and made it happen. Just so you know this thing is bad. I really wish it would have been higher in ABV so I would at least be so wasted after that I had forgotten that I had drank it. So after all this I’m wondering around the party with no buzz and looking for something else to drink. Luckily there was another 40 oz laying around, so I went with that obviously. But about the beer, not a lot but grain and corn going on here with a hint of sugar. Great for party gifts and hobos under the overpass, but if you have any class at all you will avoid this at all costs.

1.68/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Yeah, I'm really drinking OE. It's hard for me to believe too. This was what to drink when you wanted to get wasted, get in a fight, break up with your girlfriend, chuck a bike into a pool and wake up oblivious the next morning. And here I am.

Remarkable, almost scary clarity here, with a quickly disintingrating head and plenty of carbonation bubbles. The smell is wheaty, corny, and messy. I'll be honest, I threw this one down my throat to avoid the taste but it will not be denied. The aftertaste of rancid corn and dry sawdust come creeping back to your tongue like the unkillable monster in a horror movie. Mouthfeel is thin and a little soapy. The stomach doesn't care for this any more than the taste buds do.

This is terrible but as a malt liquor it has certain advantages in that it is expected to taste like roadkill scrotum. Hey, if you want to get banged up once in a while (and who doesn't?),well, this stuff is a really cheap way to do it.

1.68/5  rDev -22.6%

Huh. I used to drink these things so easily in college. It tastes like a bad beer that has been sitting out all night and someone emptied a dropper full of vodka in it. It's sweeter than most malt liquors and the alcohol is better hidden than average. Of course, average is very poor among the popular malt liquors. It makes my mouth feel kind of funny, like my cheeks are attempting to retreat back into my throat. I'm not going to keep panning it. Suffice to say, there's no reason to drink it, even for free.

1.69/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

16oz can into a regular kitchen glass and then some, when times are tough you gotta do what you gotta do, Right? Well maybe not..

Eight hundred brang the noise when the can was popped but no beer exploded from the alluminum, thank god, I thought this would be a gusher. Burnt yellow with a tannish outline and no sediment at all. Clear enough to see through the glass. A one inch loose bright white head left no lace and bounced quickly.

"You'll never get out of this maze." 800 smells like a corn field. While that is the main scent a big malt presense is also up there, well duh, it's a malt liquor Barry. The malts give off a sweet scent, but I would not call it the usual caramel. No alcohol detected in the scent which I was actually expecting.

Corn husks and sweet malt, that pretty much sums up the taste of this popular ML. Upon sipping this, I was taken back in time about 15 years ago when I was a little badass and drinking 40's of this stuff with the village posse. No hops at all, do they even use hops in this? Is this even beer? Well yes it is, in theory, but also in theory, communism works!

The feel is a bit lighter than medium while the crispness of the carbonation is not as high as I remembered. It goes down pretty easy but in no way is this a easy beer to drink. Not big on a lasting aftertaste and the alcohol is surprisingly well hidden. I could only take small sips of this, I mean orca small. If I took bigger sips of this I would throw it up. The only reason I did not give this a F is because it did not make me sick afterwards.

I don't know how some people can stomach this stuff, different strokes for different folks I guess.

1.69/5  rDev -22.1%

Olde English 800 is a very clear and very lively bright yellow beer with a big, fluffy, white head that has really good retention and leaves clumps of lacing on the glass. It has an aroma of DMS and fusel. Yup, it smells like a homeless dude. It's medium bodied, pretty smooth and pretty crisp. It leaves the the tongue a little numb. There isn't a really strong flavor here but it's just kind of like... corn and vegetables with a little rumble of booze at the end. Man, after 40 oz. of this, I don't know if I'll be going outside naked in subzero weather or fighting a cop or both. I guess we'll find out in the morning..

1.7/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My first beer ever, so some sort of nostalgia involved with this one. Especially how drunk I was after just 1 40oz. 7.50% ABV, not bad, quite suprised at that amount actually.

A - Golden yellow, plenty carbonated, fluffy head on pour, not very good retention.

S - Smell is grain/malt.

T - Taste is strong and almost overwhealming at first. Malt taste initially, with strong alcohol and a bitter mild hop finish. Rough at first, but easier after some time.

M - Decent, carbonation and mouthfeel.

D - Drinkability is middle of the road. For the high ABV, these go down easy enough after you aquire the flavor. The final drunk from drinking 40's back in the day was just right. Adequate but, not excessive. Recomendeed for anyone on a budget or just getting into the beer world. Otherwise, just keep away.

1.73/5  rDev -20.3%

Presentation: 40 oz clean glass twist off bottle, no freshness date. Says it is brewed by Olde English 800 Brewing Company but this is a Miller product.

Appearance: Clear yellowish golden colour with a wispy white lace that has a hard time staying around. Looks like beer that has been sitting out for a while.

Smell: Grainy with a cooked corn grit aroma, slightly metallic and not too pleasing. Light whiff of alcohol also.

Taste: Abrasively crisp, carbonation is high with a slick moderate body. Big grainy flavour bursts from an astringent character, big twang of used up hop that throws down a sharp bitterness with no flavour at all. Metallic and cooked corn runs amuck with a nearly cloying sweetness. Mild clean fume of alcohol warms the throat and body, astringent flavours ride far into the finish.

Notes: Yikes! This is some harsh stuff, it is more than a chore to swill down 40 ounces of this. Many names have been given to this brew but “Ghetto Juice” sticks the most. This seems to be one of the worst but one of the most talked about malt liquors … celebrities that drink this style of beer usually drink this. Go figure?

1.73/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

This beer pours somewhat well, actually, may achieve some head to the beverage but overall its a very unpleasing pale pissy yellow but what can you expect form a malt beverage.

It doesnt have that stale , predictable smell of those other low end brews but still, not my cup of tea.

The bite of the alcohol is a decent attribute aiding in a sweet, grainy flavor. Again, not what I'm looking for but noteworthy

mouthfeel is meh

overall a 1.75

1.73/5  rDev -20.3%

This beer has a disturbing copper color. The aroma is like rubbing alcohol/cleaning products. The beer is overcarbonated and pours horribly. This beer is strong malt liquor. It is very popular in ghetto areas, mostly being sold in the ghetto. This is a perfect example of beer coming in 40 oz. bottles being no good. Stay away from this.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

40oz "Imported" bottle, from the 'Olde English 800 Brewing Company', Milwaukee, WI. Ahhh, good ol' product origin obfuscation. This one has 8% ABV for northern consumption pleasures (Our street people need the warmth more.)

This beer pours a clear, effervescent medium golden yellow colour, with two fingers of tight, light foamy white head, which maintains surprising retention, eventually rendering some random drooping painted lace around the glass. This distracting appearance almost belies the smell of this abomination from across the desk - cheap beer on steroids, the stale creamed corn graininess and metallic alcohol hanging gruesomely in the air. Getting close enough to taste it takes a bit of acclimatization, but, once there, the taste is more sweet corn mash, the booziness evolving a nail polish character that reminds me of living with my sisters long ago. Most of the carbonation must have seen what I have seen and bailed, 'cause there ain't much going on there, which of course paves the way for a nice, smooth, cloying as fuck mouthfeel. The finish is drier that I had expected, but using the twin bills of alcohol and musty grain to achieve the effect.

After trying a few of the locally available hobo flasks, and trying to find something salvageable in each, I'm at a loss here. Sure, I looks all right, but the slope is pretty steep after that. As the last of my first (and last) glass slowly drains, my taste buds feel, well, dead. The mustiness and unrestrained lack of brewing character leave me morose. Given the cost of any beer around here, the fact that this (thankfully) set me back only about 4 bucks, still seems like hollow consolation at the moment.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The final entry in the small contest known as the High-Low Invitational, where I try out a few unusual styles with a wide range of ABV. Bud Ice Light beat out Coors NA for who was fairer in the land, but now comes a malt liquor packing a 7.5 ABV punch standing in the former's way to which brew takes home the prize in this small contest. Inspired by The Game's track "Ol' English" (younger folks might know this), on to the beer:

I poured it out of its 16 ounce can into a pint glass just to see the look. Looks kind of like pale lager, but has a surprising head that holds well. The smell could be more polished; corn fructose, alcoholic, and a bit of husk. Now comes the punishment; there's a corn syrup aroma in the back of the taste, but is mainly dominated by a sharp stab of alcohol and metal. Very painful to consume. I can't imagine drinking this to get drunk. Stay away from flammable objects if you do, as you'll feel the alcoholic fumes go down your throat.

Now to reveal the winner: And the winner is...

Bud Ice Light!

A very exciting meet we had here, recognizing the beer styles untested to most. Hats off to Light Ice, Malt Liquor, and Non-Alcoholic for their participation. Check my previous reviews to see what you missed of this contest. Good night everyone!

1.74/5  rDev -19.8%

Yeah baby. The first malt liquor I ever tasted. Light yellow. Non-offensive, well hidden alcohol aroma with hints of corn and pear. Yes, its full of corn and it’s fairly grainy, but there isn’t really anything in this that makes it intolerable. No off flavors whatsoever. I’ll be honest, I finished all forty ounces and I’m proud of it. This was much better than the Keystone Light that I had later in the evening.

1.74/5  rDev -19.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear, yellow body with a small, white head.

Smell: Aroma of tired, stale malts, corn, and a few vegetal notes. Smells like a spoiled bag of Fritos.

Taste: Sweetish, maizey taste of raw white corn. No real hop bitterness. Hints of veggies and blanched flower stems near the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A cheap, get-you-drunk beer for when your life has hit rock bottom, one that makes you think "has my life really come to *this*?" Best served wrapped in a brown paper bag.

1.75/5  rDev -19.4%

A beer you would drink for only one reason, to get trashed.

A very sweet beer with a sour taste to it. Can sometimes taste the alcohal in it. Appearance wise it is a sickly yellow colour and the smell is equal to the taste. The aftertaste is a good point to it since it's smaller then most Malt Liqours.

This stands out from most malt liqours since it has a bit higher alcohal percentage giving it a better deal. But I would recommend chugging it down so you won't have to bare the taste.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.