Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
2.03/5  rDev 0%

A: The pour is a golden color with an initially voluminous white head.

S: A bit of skunk, apple juice, corn, and a touch of alcohol.

T: Initially bland followed by some overly sweet corn syrup, apple juice, and more corn and alcohol.

M: A bit of a light body with a moderate carbonation.

D: Not as bad as some of the other malt liquors out there, but I wouldn't want to take the fawty to the face.

1.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear, yellow body with a small, white head.

Smell: Aroma of tired, stale malts, corn, and a few vegetal notes. Smells like a spoiled bag of Fritos.

Taste: Sweetish, maizey taste of raw white corn. No real hop bitterness. Hints of veggies and blanched flower stems near the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A cheap, get-you-drunk beer for when your life has hit rock bottom, one that makes you think "has my life really come to *this*?" Best served wrapped in a brown paper bag.

1.7/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

40oz "Imported" bottle, from the 'Olde English 800 Brewing Company', Milwaukee, WI. Ahhh, good ol' product origin obfuscation. This one has 8% ABV for northern consumption pleasures (Our street people need the warmth more.)

This beer pours a clear, effervescent medium golden yellow colour, with two fingers of tight, light foamy white head, which maintains surprising retention, eventually rendering some random drooping painted lace around the glass. This distracting appearance almost belies the smell of this abomination from across the desk - cheap beer on steroids, the stale creamed corn graininess and metallic alcohol hanging gruesomely in the air. Getting close enough to taste it takes a bit of acclimatization, but, once there, the taste is more sweet corn mash, the booziness evolving a nail polish character that reminds me of living with my sisters long ago. Most of the carbonation must have seen what I have seen and bailed, 'cause there ain't much going on there, which of course paves the way for a nice, smooth, cloying as fuck mouthfeel. The finish is drier that I had expected, but using the twin bills of alcohol and musty grain to achieve the effect.

After trying a few of the locally available hobo flasks, and trying to find something salvageable in each, I'm at a loss here. Sure, I looks all right, but the slope is pretty steep after that. As the last of my first (and last) glass slowly drains, my taste buds feel, well, dead. The mustiness and unrestrained lack of brewing character leave me morose. Given the cost of any beer around here, the fact that this (thankfully) set me back only about 4 bucks, still seems like hollow consolation at the moment.

2.48/5  rDev +22.2%

22 oz. bottle, "JUL2511" screened on the neck.

Pale straw gold, bright and clear. A finger of white foam audibly fizzles down to a skim, leaving some spotty lace in the mug. There's a feeble skim across the surface that lasts for a little bit.

Metallic wet grain, corn sweetness, sulfurous malaise.

Bland and hollow, sweet corn flavor with club soda carbonation. Dry aftertaste, thankfully not overly sweet as some malt liquors can be. Papery, dry, wet grain husks and manila folders. Not overly carbonated, somewhat fizzy, designed for chugging basically. Some light astringency is there, but it finishes clean, which is somehow impressive in some small way. A safe budget buy, i've encountered much worse in this realm.

"...as I rewind my thoughts and reminisce, sippin' OE quarts..."
Shadez Of Brooklyn - Change

2.48/5  rDev +22.2%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

The sixth entry in Swill Tour 2010. I'm really not sure why the 800 is in quotes, nor do I know to what it refers. Possibly the 800 lives it has already claimed (pour some to the curb...or, as we believe, down the drain in remembrance). It pours a clear pale straw (deeper than the AALs we've had so far) topped by an ample coif of white foam. The nose is corny, but less so than light AALs. Not much else there, honestly. I wish I could say more. The taste is liquefied Corn Flakes mixed with the tears of the masses. Mike referred to it as sorrow and corn. What calamity hath befallen this corn. The body is a sorta heavy light, with a light moderate carbonation and a badly crisp feel. This is indeed booty sweat, Mike.

2.15/5  rDev +5.9%

"40 ounces to Freedom"... Pours a crystal clear golden body topped by a frothy bright white head that holds surprisingly well and drops to a creamy surface covering. It also leaves some lace in the glass which is quite unusual considering the high alcohol - although I doubt that's rarely noticed inside the 40 oz bottle! The aroma is also surprisingly bold, but with a distinct cereal-cooker aroma and a firm touch of alcohol. There is some grainy maltiness underneath, but it's overshadowed. Powerful, but not really inviting. The body is thin/medium but the high level of fine carbonation helps it to become creamy immediately, thus giving the impression of a fuller mouthfeel. The residual alcohol that's left after the swallow adds to that impression. The flavor mimics the aroma with a harsh, semi-grainy maltiness rather than the more straightforward sweet malt flavor usually found in malt liquors. The alcohol also lends to an astringent character. Hop bitterness is subdued, as is normally the case with malt liquors, except that it's more noteable here. However, it's quite dull and doesn't add anything to the character. From start to finish this beer lacks finesse. Sure it's bold, but it's also extremely blunt. Maybe that's why people like it... in a way I can see how this could be less cloying as it doesn't offer the bright, super sweet maltiness of many malt liquors - but at the same time it's fairly harsh and the trade-off doesn't seem worth it. Disappointing. This beer deserves to be wrapped in a paper bag. There are much better malt liquors on the market. Take a step up to the Coqui 900!

1.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Presentation: 40 oz clean glass twist off bottle, no freshness date. Says it is brewed by Olde English 800 Brewing Company but this is a Miller product.

Appearance: Clear yellowish golden colour with a wispy white lace that has a hard time staying around. Looks like beer that has been sitting out for a while.

Smell: Grainy with a cooked corn grit aroma, slightly metallic and not too pleasing. Light whiff of alcohol also.

Taste: Abrasively crisp, carbonation is high with a slick moderate body. Big grainy flavour bursts from an astringent character, big twang of used up hop that throws down a sharp bitterness with no flavour at all. Metallic and cooked corn runs amuck with a nearly cloying sweetness. Mild clean fume of alcohol warms the throat and body, astringent flavours ride far into the finish.

Notes: Yikes! This is some harsh stuff, it is more than a chore to swill down 40 ounces of this. Many names have been given to this brew but “Ghetto Juice” sticks the most. This seems to be one of the worst but one of the most talked about malt liquors … celebrities that drink this style of beer usually drink this. Go figure?

1.02/5  rDev -49.8%

All 40 ounces preserved in it's classic presentation, Olde E is a legendary beer. Yeah, right this beer is ghetto swill in all it's glory. Made famous by Run DMC in eighties, this beer pours a golden similar to apple juice hue. Pours with a thick foamy head that cloys around the rim of my mug, with a decent head retention. Aroma is straight up unpleasant, all cereal grains with an astringent slightly cooked vegetable scent. From the smell you would think this stuff could take of some layers of paint from the wall. Taste is highly carbonated watery yet acoholic harsh bitter nasty ass taste. Not a slow sipper chug this and bypass the palate, this beer is for getting folded. I really can't tolerate this one but it's a favorite of my friends. So, in closing there is no question this is one shitty beer. Watch out for the hangovers this beer is known to cause, in my opinion steer clear.

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a large off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains adjunct, light malts and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a strong flavor of the typical light malt sweetness that you usually get in this type of beer. Then some bready grain and adjunct flavors quickly follow along with a mild boozy bite of alcohol, since there isn’t much in the beer to balance the alcohol out, despite the low ABV for the style. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: A little tasty, goes down easily, not filling at all, mild kick, decent representation of style, it’s not as much of a buzz-accelerator as most people look for in a Malt Liquor but for the style it’s a decent beer to pound for a while.

2.78/5  rDev +36.9%

A - Pours with one finger of white head into a pint glass (this is the only time I have ever seen a malt liquor in a glass!). The foam settles rapidly and leaves no lace. The body is clear and golden-yellow.

S - Grainy corn aroma with just a hint of sweet malt. Otherwise clean; no hops and no yeast character.

T - Husky grain up front with corn and light malt notes. Some very light herbal hop flavor in the middle and a little bit of bitterness in the finish with more corn and malt.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a slightly dry finish.

D - The best thing I can say about this beer is that it hides its alcohol well. It is one of the smoother malt liquors and has a fairly clean malt profile with noticeable, but fairly inoffensive, corn notes. It is an efficient alcohol delivery system and if I had to drink a malt liquor, this would probably be my first choice.

2.83/5  rDev +39.4%

Bad beer Thursdays 2011, episode 3 -- Olde E!

Beer is yellow and clear with a nice soft white head and aggressive carbonation, head leaves lacing on the glass. Beer is totally clear. Looks like beer.

Aroma is light and weak with some pilsner sweetness. Eh...it's definitely not informative as an aroma.

Beer is cold....cold is a flavor right? Yeah, yeah it is. Beer is cold, grainy aftertaste, late acid astringency forward mild pilsner flavor. Beer is medium in body and I've definitely had worse, much much worse. I think it's the charcoal filtering that makes this beer superior to its peers. Beer is back heavy with little going on in the front but I should be able to finish this bottle.

1.38/5  rDev -32%

I've just had a couple of lambic brews in a row, and it occurred to me what a fool I am, for I haven't seen anyone wearing any trucker hats with the Lindemans logo on it, or seen any cool hipster struttin' down the avenue in a Hanssen's hoodie...though, I have seen both of those done with OE 800 gear! I'll never be fly being a Belgian beer guy, I can only get fresh if I'm down with the malt likka crew, right? ...right?
Well, let's see if I can do it. Got the 40, but it's not in a bag, so I lose points, and I'm going to pour it into a glass, so now I'm really screwed...Anyway...crackle goes the crown, color's the pale yellow that matches faded urine, I know it's cliched to say, but it's also true as it gets, with a big, puffy bone-white head that collapses assuredly down...nice while it lasts, though.
Aroma: soft and spare, cushy, grainy, slightly citric and strawish, nothing horrible, but nothing, nonetheless.
Taste: water. Grain-inflected water, slightly sweet, but, barely anything, with a cereal grit in the mouthfeel, if it can claim any at all. There are traces of malt in the taste, minor at best, and nothing else, this is a shadow of a beer, a whisper, a phantom, but one that has a trick up it's sleeve, like all the best of this variety. Oh, yeah, no bothersome flavor, but extra-boozy, that's why they drink this ...and only a few tastes in, I can feel the hurt and the headache beginning to gather forces on my mind, and I wonder whether this exercise in masochistic research is worth it at all (the bottle was a gift, as a joke, and the punchline arrived as soon as I announced I was drinking it), and I'm sure it's not...Time to send this swill down the drain and save my brain. There's a nice doppelbock calling my name, once I wash the taste of this garbage from my mouth.

First had: bottle (40 of course, yo) from some random liquor store

Worst beer ever? Possibly. I remember once back in the day stopping at a liquor store before going to a party. My friend picked up a 40 of Olde E. "Good God, how can you even think of drinking that?" I asked... as I picked up a 40 of Coors Light.

Pours the color that your pee is when you're dehydrated, or when you've not been drinking Old E enough. Fizzy, with a quickly-receding white frothy head. Smells of sweet corn and old grains. Taste of tinkle, corn, stale grain, and alcohol. Very light-bodied, harsh, and pretty much as undrinkable as rocket fuel. Goes good with pig knuckles, collard greens, and maybe garnished with a slice of watermelon. Yo.

2.75/5  rDev +35.5%

2.23/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours straw yellow with a white head that has decent retention. Some thin lacing sticks.

The smell is of corn oil, slight grain and a hint of alcohol.

The taste is pretty empty. Some corn, a touch of husk. It is on the sweet side, with an abrupt finish. The alcohol is on the mild side for the style.

The feel is watery, but astringent.

It's not "terrible", but it is certainly not good. It is rather weak for the style. It's pretty drinkable, considering. It's a sweet-ish, rather bland, cheap Malt Liquor.

1.5/5  rDev -26.1%

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

1.8/5  rDev -11.3%

I did not care from this out of a CAN a couple of years ago, but it still elicits amusing memories for me from my misspent youth. I might have dared a full 40 were it not for my local also having 22's for sale.

I got a little better than a finger of fizzy bone-white head that seemed to be falling as fast as I could pour, ending with a bunch of wisps. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. In fact, this kind of thing is the gold standard for clarity. Nose was candy sweet, like bubble gum and even some fusel alcohol. Ugh. A 22 may be more than enough for this old man. Mouthfeel was medium with a sugary sweetness in the mouth. I imagine that if you took a bag of sugar and stirred it into a liquid medium until it became saturated, this would be what it would taste like. The finish was fairly dry with a burning sensation going down. Man, this is evil. I was intimidated by such things as a kid, but now I am just disgusted.

1.25/5  rDev -38.4%

1.1/5  rDev -45.8%

About time I get my malt liquor reviews in. These may be repetitive because I am not an expert in the style.

40 oz of course

Fizzy white head. Color is a clear pale golden yellow.

Aroma: malts and alcohol. Corn. Metallic flavors. Very bland.

Taste: Pretty much the same. Bready malts and cardboard staleness. Corn. Off flavors all around.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied, medium carbonation. Grainy and chewy. Ends bland.

Overall, not something I ever want to drink again.

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.