Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

There are two variants, a 5.9% ABV and a 7.5% ABV version.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
2.21/5  rDev -3.9%

Now I know I'm losing my marbles... I just poured some 8-Ball from a 40 oz. into a pint glass. This really should be swilled directly from the bottle, preferably while standing on the corner in tha hood and keepin' your hoez in check.

In the time it took me to write the first paragraph of this review, the half-inch head completely disappeared. The appearance? I dunno, it appears to be a nasty-ass ghetto brew.

Now let me get a whiff. Oh yeah. Wow, that smells bad. I guess the astringent aroma doesn't really get a chance to escape through the tiny little opening at the top of the 40. Do yourself a favor- keep it in the bottle. Please.

This tastes like something that'll get you fucked up. C'mon folks- if you're drinking OE for the taste, you should probably be on another website. Here's one: www.40ozmaltliquor.com.

After one 40 (or hell, after one pounder), the drinkability increases tenfold.

Be sure to keep a few extras in the fridge for the next morning to wash away the shame of waking up next to something unsavory (be it a pool of vomit or a scabies-infected skank).

Cheers! (1,109 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This one is the Canadian 8% version.

golden straw color with medium carbonation. The head is off white tight one finger head

smell- It has a really sweet alcoholic smell and thats about it.

taste- Same as the taste its really sweet and alcoholic. pretty bad if you ask me.

mouthfeel- its a medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation

overall- What can you really say about this beer? Its pretty gross. If you want to get drunk for cheap then buy a olde English 800 thats all its good for. (490 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -7.8%

Yeah, some bad beer right here, always a fun oen to slam a forty of
poured into a wine glass (as a joke) then slammed straight of the bottle
appearance was as expected, yellow piss color with an oily head, gross looking overall
smells like corn and alcohol. No complexity
Tastes exactly the same, except more alcohol and very watery. Just plain bad. Drink it extremely cold and quickly. Metallic gross aftertaste. Funn stuff.
feels like garbage in yoru mouth, oily and gross. Drinkability is low because of alcohol content and bad taste

a milt liquor for 350 (recently upped from 1.99, which was always on the bottle... now no price is listed, wonder what happened?) for a 40 oz, gets you drunk. The only point to it. (718 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +39.1%

I bought several 40's of this a few years back in the middle of the summer.

A- Looks like regular beer, very clear.

S- smells pretty strong

T- I actually dont shotgun 40's so I kept this in the freezer while I poured mug after mug of this. Tastes pretty good ice cold. KEYWORD, ICE COLD.

M- Mouthfeel is normal, with carbonation. then again, I dont swish it around in my mouth.

D- This is my 2nd favorite malt liquor it gets you pretty trashed and is better than a lot of them out there. (492 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +36.5%

As anyone else who enjoys malt liquors will tell you, this beer is not the kind meant for savoring. It is designed solely for getting hammered, however I do believe there are some redeeming characteristics for this "king of malt liquors" as Miller likes to claim. An easy drinking malt liquor with a palatable taste. I will say, however that the only positive about the aroma is that it is easily recognizable that it will get you messed up something quick. I did follow some suggestions of regular "malt advocates" and the consensus is they all look like piss so forget about it, the can however is a piece of nostalgic beauty, so it gets and average on this handle. I honestly believe that even though the taste is not pleasant, it is definately drinkable and therefore deserves a decent rating in both taste and mouthfeel. God forgive me for drinking this sh** and liking it. Long live IPA! (893 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -23.9%

Nasty bottom of the barrel higher alcohol content beer. Very harsh after taste and very malty taste. Had this in my very early (under aged drinking) days, and haven't had it since. This is truly not worth any amount of $. (222 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +23%

I drank this poured into an old-fashioned size glass from a can.

Appearance:
Nothing remarkable, a pale golden yellow, with a head that dissipates rapidly and does not leave much lacing.

Smell:
Barely detectable, slightly grainy and smoky.

Taste:
Unremarkable. A bitter, hoppy start, which the colour doesn't suggest, and an understated grainy finish, which is slightly sweet. As I prefer lighter beers, this doesn't really appeal to me, but I could see others with different tastes enjoying it.

Drinkability:
I could see myself drinking this in large quantities if there was nothing else available. It isn't awful, but overall not impressive. I would not seek it out, but I would accept it if offered. (706 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +33.9%

People are reviewing this like it's supposed to be a high quality craft micro-brew! STOP! It's malt liquor! Take it for what it's worth...

A side by side comparison of this to any other style of beer is rediculous....Malt liquor is in a class by itself, and should be reviewed for what it is, not what a well versed beer taster with an exceptional palate thinks a good beer should taste like...that being said:

Serving type: Consumed directly from a 40 ounce, clear bottle. I knew it was a"40 oz." because it stated that fact at least 3 times, in BIG font on the label!

A - Thick & yellow. Don't know about the head & lacing...pulled this one straight outta the 40oz. bottle.

S - Earthy like if you took wet corn husks and smelled them.

T - corn and sweet malt. Suprisingly clean finish compared to other Malt Liquors.

M - Very thin and watery when cold, thickens up and tastes like hay or wet grass as it warms. (that's why a 40oz. needs to be chugged!)

D - Smooth and tasty and tolerable as long as it's cold! It's engineered for a quick, cheap buzz...not to win medals! But in the "catch a good buzz on a budget" category....it deserves a Gold Medal!!! (1,162 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +27.8%

Served out of a 40oz.

A- Brillianty clear, no head retention, dehydrated piss yellow color

S- Pilsner like noble hops aroma with a corn sweetness, also skunky smell. Smells like Indiananpolis 500 beer.

T- Highly carbonated, clean, dry, balanced with a corn sweetness.

M- Light bodied, dry, no creaminess

D- Very drinkable on a hot summer day at the Indy 500, in a canoe, on a pontoon, with your neighbor's 40 year old wife, ....you could play Edward 40-hands with this one. (478 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +57.8%

Appearance: looks like room temperature piss

Smell: Smells like oily greasy sidewalk

Taste: tastes like ghetto juice

Mouthfeel: feels like grits

Drinkability: After you chug one down, you always have room for another!

Don't take my review the wrong way, "Old Gold" is a traditional part of my beer drinking life. I have consumed more of these 40's than probably any other beer on the planet. For a price tag under 2.50 this is a no brainer. Party at my house, bring some OE (478 characters)

2.31/5  rDev +0.4%

Easy to drink malt beer. Tastes, smells, and looks like corn. I personally enjoy malt liquor but to the normal beer fan this beer will probably be too sweet. I gave it a 3 on the drinkability scale because it can be found everywhere. Also kind of funky aftertaste like spoilt beer. I would stick with better malt liquors but this one isn't too bad. (348 characters)

2.66/5  rDev +15.7%

Let me say how excited I am to drink this beer. I bought it from the most hood corner store that I could find to ensure optimum freshness. Stamped with AUG2211 on bottle.

Served in a tulip glass, then straight out of the 40 bottle.

A. If I could make a beer this clear, I would be ecstatic. Light yellow with a constant stream of bubbles. More head than I would have expected, disspiates quickly leaving a thin "puck" on the surface of the brew. I appreciate the fine taper that they put on the top of the bottle to accommodate drinking straight from the bottle. They really thought of everything here.

S. Smells like cheap lager. Smells grainy/husky and maybe a little like corn; it smells sweet. I swear there's some kind of noble hop character in the background as well.

T. Very, very sweet. Finishes with a strong corn and husky grain flavor. More flavor than I expected really.

M. Extremely light bodied and very high carbonation. It's not as high as something like Orval, though.

D. If you can drink 40 oz of it, then it's very drinkable.

For my first 40, I'm very impressed. This is the stuff of legend, and has a long heritage of rappers who have consumed it. I can now proudly count myself among their ranks. (1,225 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +23.9%

"OE" is up there with CAMO, although I believe CAMO might be a little easier to handle. Olde English is my good luck before a show beer. Whenever my band gets to the venue I find the nearest ligour store and get one before we actually go on. Everything about this cheap malt liqour is fairly average.

It's really used just for a cheap way to get drunk, not too hard to drink, not too hard to finish.

P.S. check us out
myspace.com/passaicrock (448 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -49.6%

A- Kind of a dirty brown-amber color.

S- Smells like skunky yeast.

T- I only tasted this stuff because it was gaming nite and one of my buddies bought some. I figured what the hell, why not try some? It was pretty bad, it tasted like coors light with stale french fries in it.

D- It is not smooth at all, you gotta force this stuff down. (340 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -10.4%

2013 Olde English “800” - Reviewed 2/12/2013

"Michael Hagan's idea of a good time is to guzzle a few bottles of Olde English "800" Malt Liquor and smoke PCP with his fellow gang members in the slums of south central Los Angeles. There is no telling what might happen."
-"Life and Death with the Gangs" Time Magazine, August 1987

Appearance:
Olde English is poured tonight into a fluted crystal glass to best harness the carbonation and divert the aroma upwards. This does great things for the presentation of the malt liquor. The bubbles caress the sides of the glass and invite the drinker to partake in its refreshment.

Smell:
Olde "800" stank like the back alley in funky north Philly where I once bought some black market copper pipe fittings. It stings the nostrils with hints of sex-panther and moldy soap. After careful consideration, I have determined that this is possibly the worst smelling 40 that we have ever tasted, but honestly when was the last time that anyone smelled something they tasted?

Taste:
What is it that gives Olde English "800" its signature flavour? Is it the mysterious tang that accompanies the carbonation? Is it the back-sweetened corn malt? Is it the extra "e" in the word "Olde"? Does it bother you that I am spelling "flavour" like an englishman? All questions that come to mind when tasting the quixotic liquor.

Mouthfeel:
I've run out of ways to describe how beer feels on the tongue. It feels like beer.

Overall:
The aire of mystery that surrounds the 40 is palpable (or maybe its just the weird after taste). The sarcastic quotation marks that surround the "800" taunt the drinker. A true connoisseur will know that this is indeed what olde england would have enjoyed. Olde English "800" pairs well with traditional Bangers n' Mash, or even a mouthful of dirt with a side of monty python if real english fare is unavailable. This malt liquor is as dry as British humor, and as inviting as an Oxford boarding school. I will definitely be enjoying the 40 maybe eventually sometime in the future. Enjoy. (2,057 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -19.6%

What limits my description of this beer it the lack of a drop-down menu for the resulting hangover.

This beer is bad. Yes it's also cheap but that doesn't make up for how "un-beer-like" it is. I know there is a cult following for "40's" but this one is not worth your time. There are much better examples out there.
Normally I would comment on the pour. I won't bother: it should stay in the bottle it actually been designed that way.

The color is a light grain blonde. This is the best feature of this beer. There is also a clearly printed brewing date proudly displayed on the bottle. This is important as the bottle is perfectly clear and would leave the brew prone to some serious skunking if left near light for some time.

I would also comment on the aroma. There is none except the slight smell of bread.

And there is almost no taste. Malt? no. Liquor? no. At best all I could taste was the heavy carbonation. I get the idea that this is intentional.

But I will say that this product is perfectly designed and portioned to get the average working class man drunk for what little expendable income he has left after his wages are garnered for child support. It's pure genius in that regard.

I would say its better to go with some other "40" except maybe hurricane. (1,279 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +33.5%

this is another cheap beer from my past.i think it the best of the cheap beers out there.the taste isnt as bad and the appearance of the beer is pretty good.keep in mind i keep saying cheap beer because thats what it is and im rating it against other cheap beer (261 characters)

2.94/5  rDev +27.8%

American style Malt Liquor...not bad for a malt liquor. I bought a 4 pack of tall boys for $3.35 and after the first couple of drinks it goes down OK. Malt Liquor is not for everybody but I like it....yes it has a strong metallic....bitter taste but in some old school way that is why I like it....call me crazy...I like my OE 800 ice cold and have even used it to mix with Stout... (382 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I've seen this beer in more homeless peoples hand than any other on the ground at parks too so when i first tried it i felt i was joining some unspoken covenant of dirt poor alcoholics and it wasn't half bad a little stronger than colt 45 but 7.5 alc makes sure you feel it and feel it quick a little heavy on the stomach but tolerable classic malt smell little bit too much carbonation kind of leaves you with a thizz face if you chug it but its cheap and gets the job done (474 characters)

2.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Did not care for taste worth the buzz.But I drink beer for thirst and flavor and most important quality.This beer tasted in between a coors light and a tecate. Would not buy again.Ill stick with guinesses and redneck side of my blood which means coors or keystone light.STAY AWAY FROM THIS BEER.EBONICS DONTS MISSA ROUND WITH THIS SHIT (335 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Solid golden brown. Very nice if I do say so myself.

S:Smells pretty alright for the malt liquor category, not too strong and a slight pinch to the nostrils if you take a real good whiff.

T: I personally like the taste of Olde E, alot of people like to bash it for being cheap and low grade but I think its a rose amongst weeds in its category.

M: Has a potent and unique taste with just enough bite to put your mind at ease that the buzz will be awesome once achieved.

O: A solid, well rounded, economical and tasty treat for a Friday night with nothing better to do than to throw on some Motorhead and talk shit with your friends. (639 characters)

1.26/5  rDev -45.2%

Started out drinking this prior to being of age, drank a decent amount of it actually. I once dropped a full forty on my garage floor and the smell was lethal. Haven't touched the stuff since. (192 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -51.3%

I'm writing this from memory lane, as I decided to buy a 32 ouncer to relive some teenage memories. I live in Florida now, but I recall drinking 40 ouncers back then. They used to sell a 64 ounce bottle of OE (yikes) that was so large the bottle had a handle. Yeah. A handle.

Memory lane was paved poorly. God, this is a nasty brew. The color is visible in the bottle (you don't pour this into a glass), and it looks like how it will leave your system: as urine.

Taste: If you drink it at ice-cold temperature, it's fine. At cold temperature or less, it tastes like it looks.

Just an awful, awful beer. When I have children, and see them try and drink this like I did when I was their age, I won't say a word. They'll learn like I did---this is just bad, bad, stuff. (771 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +110%

This is for drinking out of a 40-oz bottle. This is the 40 to which all other 40's are compared. $2.50 after tax, at the corner store.

Smell - It smells like roasted corn and body odor (Skunk), so in the world of 40's, that's a lovely smell.

Taste - Roasted corn blended into a gallon of water, vodka added. In other words, sweetish and somewhat toasty. Obvious alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Doesn't bubble too much. Water. Odds are you'll get a bit too buzzed to notice the actual texture.

Overall - The 40 of 40's. A 40 drinker's 40. It's one of those things where you dedicate the afternoon to it, while you do yardwork. (622 characters)

2.62/5  rDev +13.9%

This is the normal run of the mill 40 ounce malt liquor, its got a pretty bad unrefined taste, a bit of that dirty sweetness and its rather harsh.Having said that its a 40 and the main purpose of 40s is to get you slammed when your too poor to get anything else... its swill but its still a classic among 40z. (309 characters)

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.