Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
2.35/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from 24oz can into a pint glass. Olde E -- the drink of distinction! I'll confess the last time I had Olde E was more than 10 years ago and I was probably underage at the time. Clearly, it made an impression on me back then.

Appearance: medium gold with no haze and a moderate effervescence, just like a lot of these malt liquors. Head poured a finger of fizzy white foam but, I'm amazed to say, it didn't dissipate instantly. Head stuck around at least twice as long as other malt liquors (so, you know, 30 seconds).

Smell: sweet malt aroma but not as plasticy as some; it's both lower in intensity and a little bit deeper than a lot of malt liquors. Not awful for the style.

Taste: sweetish malt, again with a certain deepness. I can't say that I'm a fan, exactly, but this is not terrible as malt liquors go.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a light fizzy carbonation. Nothing to speak of here.

Overall: I'm hardly a malt liquor connoisseur, but for sub-$2 24oz cans of anything beer-like, you might have a hard time beating Olde E.

1.5/5  rDev -26.1%

1.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Yellow in color with a head that lingers. Aroma is strong and sweet, somewhat corny. Taste is a bit hard to deal with at first. Not much to the imagination as far as taste goes anyway. Somewhat unsettling and bland on the tongue. Alcohol is not well hidden. Overall, not very drinkable. I'll take another bottle of Private Stock over this.

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

Tis poured a clear bright yellow with a quickly disappearing head of foam.

Cornish notes dominate the nose and overall it has that sweet smell that is typical for the style.

The corn is in the taste and there's some bitterness there but when I finish a sip, I'm left with a rather nasty taste in my mouth.

The body is as thin as one can get and I find it really hard to continue with the session, even without taking the abv in the equation. I'm just glad I'm drinking this *cold*. Not worth a retry....ever!!

3.13/5  rDev +54.2%

Poured from a clear bottle into a weizen glass. Has a rich golden color with about 1/2 inch head. Weak malt smell. The taste is malty and not all that great. Feels somewhat bitter in the mouth. Drinkability is o.k. I guess. This is a beer I drank a lot of in my youth but don't care for so much now.

40oz bottle

Pretty much looks like urine. Clear dark yellow liquid with a big fluffy white head resting on top. Here we go!

Metallic corn and alcohol in the nose. Hints of sweetness as well with an slight funkiness.

Alcohol and corn with some slight skunky notes. Slightly smooth (I guess) and bitter. Fairly nondescript in flavor, which is a good thing for this sort of beer. Finishes with some lingering metallic notes and warmth.

Lighter medium body, decent carbonation, lingering on the tongue. This isn't good, but considering how awful some other malt liquors are, I didn't completely hate drinking it.

1.25/5  rDev -38.4%

2.13/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

24 oz can into a Nonic. 08179 on bottom of can. Meh.

A - Clear straw yellow with bubbles going up to a fizzy yet well-maintained stark white head. Good retention but no lacing on the glass. Doesn't look half bad.

S - Cooked corn and fresh, dry straw populates the aroma. A light sweetness pairs with an incredibly light peach-like fruitiness.

T - Strong flavor of roasted corn and dry straw with a minimal fruitiness that is intertwined with the sweetness.

M - Slick and watery, this light-bodied malt beverage has a crisp feel with a sweet aftertaste and goes down with a moderate carbonation bite.

D - I don't understand the appeal of malt liquors. ABV and cheap price I suppose, however, it fails completely in flavor and drinkability. Well, not completely, but it's not good.
[I poured it out in favor of opening something else GOOD to rate.]

2.58/5  rDev +27.1%

OE - used to drink it in fo-tays but now I think this tall boy can will be quite enough. Pours a clear, medium yellow color with a fluffy white head that fades really quick and only leaves a slight sheen behind.

Sweet malty nose, but nothing really offensive. Maybe a bit of metallic graininess. Actually smells pretty fresh.

Taste is pretty full-bodied and malty sweet. Hops are basically undetectable and carbonation level is fairly high. Hides the ABV well when cold...once it warms up though, all bets are off with this beer. It doesnt taste like a whole lot, but it is not unpleasant. Gimmie a foty of this and I'll play some bones.

1.68/5  rDev -17.2%

I have my doppelganger to thanks for this one as he spent a whole $1.29 + tax to pick this one up for me at a local Marathon on the way to a birthday party! Thanks??? Served from 40 oz bottle into a shaker for the first glass then consumed straight from the bottle for the rest. Unfortunately there wasn’t as brown paper bag as the gas station didn’t have any to give us. Poured golden yellow with a one and a half off-white head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, sugar, alcohol, and grain. The flavor was of sweet malt, corn, grain, wheat, and alcohol. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty bad brew. I always joked with my friends about drinking this one at parties to see the look on people’s faces. Well, apparently my best friend remembered this and made it happen. Just so you know this thing is bad. I really wish it would have been higher in ABV so I would at least be so wasted after that I had forgotten that I had drank it. So after all this I’m wondering around the party with no buzz and looking for something else to drink. Luckily there was another 40 oz laying around, so I went with that obviously. But about the beer, not a lot but grain and corn going on here with a hint of sugar. Great for party gifts and hobos under the overpass, but if you have any class at all you will avoid this at all costs.

1.55/5  rDev -23.6%

I can't imagine drinking 40oz of this regularly. Unfortunately I didn't have any fallen homies to tip it for, so this was shared between 4 people (I know, we are SO ghetto). I wonder if the Belgian Monks tip a Westy when they lose one of theirs? I'd still take this over an A/B product any day.

1.5/5  rDev -26.1%

1.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Drinkable....at least to me....pours a golden color with a white head that laces the glas impressively....nose is weak and corny....body is medium and nicely carbonated...it almost has to be to keep this from becoming oversweet...flavor is your basic cooked corn and some vodka like alcohol on the finish...not great stuff but I could drink it if I was hanging in the hood or something with my boyz..

Overall, I don't think I would purchase this one when looking for a malt liquor but my "flashback" tour of the malt liqours of my younger days is barely getting started...I give colt 45 a slight edge on this one...very slight though..

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

From the 40 fl. oz. bottle APR2312-005111712. Sampled on December 4, 2011. Good crack on the twist off top. The pour is pale to golden yellow with a real fizzy head that settles down to a ring and leaves clinging lacing in its wake.

Okay I am rating this on the American Malt Liquor style. As far as the style goes the aroma is comfortably malted with corn and grass but it is not terribly obnoxious. The body is thin and typical for the style. A lot of malt liquors make me wince and grind my teeth as I sip them but not this one. It was not half-bad as far as the style goes. There is a sweet grainy character in the taste with a clean hop finish.

Of course this is not a craft. It is what it is, brewed to quench your thirst, accompany dogs and beans, and drown your sorrows. This one is a bit better than the average malt liquor.

1.93/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance – This one poured a nice, slightly hazy yellow with some decent head retention. Not bad.

Smell – The aroma isn’t bad. The grain is not as harsh as in most other macro efforts, and there’s actually a bit of hops in there somewhere.

Taste – Oh, this is bad. Much worse than it smelled. The little bit of smoothness from the nose is completely gone, and the cheap sweetness is repulsive.

Mouthfeel – A little bigger than light-bodied but fairly flat and not dry at all.

Sinkability – No wonder folks are shootin’ up the hood. I’d be getting’ my gat too if I had to walk around with a 40 of this in my hand all day.

Comments – The ABV has when up almost one and a half points from when this ale was added to the site (it’s now at 7.5%). I guess the quicker you go numb the easier this is to drink.

1.63/5  rDev -19.7%

I guess I was feeling nostalgic but I had to throw in my 2 cents.
Look, if your'e drinking this then you are planning on getting lit on the cheap or just broke. Hopefully, if it is the former then you are in college, like I used to get down. Of course, I've been on the latter side also and it sucks, much like Old E. The light gold/yellow color is see thru when held up to the light, and the smell is just like rubbing alcohol. While the taste is horrendous, it at least does not contain a bitter aftertaste. Oh, and after slamming a few of these 40 ozs. expect a colossal headache the next morning.

2.25/5  rDev +10.8%

1.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Huh. I used to drink these things so easily in college. It tastes like a bad beer that has been sitting out all night and someone emptied a dropper full of vodka in it. It's sweeter than most malt liquors and the alcohol is better hidden than average. Of course, average is very poor among the popular malt liquors. It makes my mouth feel kind of funny, like my cheeks are attempting to retreat back into my throat. I'm not going to keep panning it. Suffice to say, there's no reason to drink it, even for free.

2.13/5  rDev +4.9%

Golden yellow in color, suprisingly thick head with little retention. Scent is pale and meek, some light malt, light sweet corn and metallic notes. Taste again is somewhat clean for style, light sweet malts, sweet corn. Light, fizzy, some lingering warmth. It is what it is, and thats not very good.

1.75/5  rDev -13.8%

Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.