Olde English 800 - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800Olde English 800

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde English 800 Alström Bros
Dogbrick

1.55/5  rDev -24%

I can't imagine drinking 40oz of this regularly. Unfortunately I didn't have any fallen homies to tip it for, so this was shared between 4 people (I know, we are SO ghetto). I wonder if the Belgian Monks tip a Westy when they lose one of theirs? I'd still take this over an A/B product any day.

09-20-2002 07:35:32 | More by Dogbrick
twiggamortis420

2.58/5  rDev +26.5%

OE - used to drink it in fo-tays but now I think this tall boy can will be quite enough. Pours a clear, medium yellow color with a fluffy white head that fades really quick and only leaves a slight sheen behind.

Sweet malty nose, but nothing really offensive. Maybe a bit of metallic graininess. Actually smells pretty fresh.

Taste is pretty full-bodied and malty sweet. Hops are basically undetectable and carbonation level is fairly high. Hides the ABV well when cold...once it warms up though, all bets are off with this beer. It doesnt taste like a whole lot, but it is not unpleasant. Gimmie a foty of this and I'll play some bones.

07-29-2009 23:38:44 | More by twiggamortis420
WOLFGANG

South Carolina

07-08-2013 23:28:16 | More by WOLFGANG
tone77

3.13/5  rDev +53.4%

Poured from a clear bottle into a weizen glass. Has a rich golden color with about 1/2 inch head. Weak malt smell. The taste is malty and not all that great. Feels somewhat bitter in the mouth. Drinkability is o.k. I guess. This is a beer I drank a lot of in my youth but don't care for so much now.

06-09-2009 22:35:24 | More by tone77
ZAP

1.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Drinkable....at least to me....pours a golden color with a white head that laces the glas impressively....nose is weak and corny....body is medium and nicely carbonated...it almost has to be to keep this from becoming oversweet...flavor is your basic cooked corn and some vodka like alcohol on the finish...not great stuff but I could drink it if I was hanging in the hood or something with my boyz..

Overall, I don't think I would purchase this one when looking for a malt liquor but my "flashback" tour of the malt liqours of my younger days is barely getting started...I give colt 45 a slight edge on this one...very slight though..

10-04-2003 04:46:41 | More by ZAP
RoyalT

1.93/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance – This one poured a nice, slightly hazy yellow with some decent head retention. Not bad.

Smell – The aroma isn’t bad. The grain is not as harsh as in most other macro efforts, and there’s actually a bit of hops in there somewhere.

Taste – Oh, this is bad. Much worse than it smelled. The little bit of smoothness from the nose is completely gone, and the cheap sweetness is repulsive.

Mouthfeel – A little bigger than light-bodied but fairly flat and not dry at all.

Sinkability – No wonder folks are shootin’ up the hood. I’d be getting’ my gat too if I had to walk around with a 40 of this in my hand all day.

Comments – The ABV has when up almost one and a half points from when this ale was added to the site (it’s now at 7.5%). I guess the quicker you go numb the easier this is to drink.

03-13-2004 02:10:42 | More by RoyalT

Delaware

11-15-2011 21:51:53 | More by ROGUE16
popery

1.73/5  rDev -15.2%

Huh. I used to drink these things so easily in college. It tastes like a bad beer that has been sitting out all night and someone emptied a dropper full of vodka in it. It's sweeter than most malt liquors and the alcohol is better hidden than average. Of course, average is very poor among the popular malt liquors. It makes my mouth feel kind of funny, like my cheeks are attempting to retreat back into my throat. I'm not going to keep panning it. Suffice to say, there's no reason to drink it, even for free.

12-22-2008 03:50:13 | More by popery
DmanGTR

1.75/5  rDev -14.2%

01-29-2013 18:18:24 | More by DmanGTR
puboflyons

New Hampshire

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

From the 40 fl. oz. bottle APR2312-005111712. Sampled on December 4, 2011. Good crack on the twist off top. The pour is pale to golden yellow with a real fizzy head that settles down to a ring and leaves clinging lacing in its wake.

Okay I am rating this on the American Malt Liquor style. As far as the style goes the aroma is comfortably malted with corn and grass but it is not terribly obnoxious. The body is thin and typical for the style. A lot of malt liquors make me wince and grind my teeth as I sip them but not this one. It was not half-bad as far as the style goes. There is a sweet grainy character in the taste with a clean hop finish.

Of course this is not a craft. It is what it is, brewed to quench your thirst, accompany dogs and beans, and drown your sorrows. This one is a bit better than the average malt liquor.

12-04-2011 19:08:55 | More by puboflyons
tpd975

2.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Drinking this one to get the style rate and for no other reason. I consumed tons of this stuff in high school. We would buy 64 ouncers and two would plow me for the night.

Here's to Old Time's sake.

A: Pours a clear yellow with a white fizzy head. No retention or lace.

S: Very corn like, chemicals, and cheap malt sweetness.

T: A bit bitter up front. Corny grainy malt sweetness in the middle. Doughy bready finish with a bit more cheap grassy hops.

M: Medium in body, fizzy, okay carbonation.

D: Nah, I remember the days that I drank this every weekend. Boy have I come a long way.

07-06-2009 15:41:51 | More by tpd975
clayrock81

1.63/5  rDev -20.1%

I guess I was feeling nostalgic but I had to throw in my 2 cents.
Look, if your'e drinking this then you are planning on getting lit on the cheap or just broke. Hopefully, if it is the former then you are in college, like I used to get down. Of course, I've been on the latter side also and it sucks, much like Old E. The light gold/yellow color is see thru when held up to the light, and the smell is just like rubbing alcohol. While the taste is horrendous, it at least does not contain a bitter aftertaste. Oh, and after slamming a few of these 40 ozs. expect a colossal headache the next morning.

11-17-2007 21:50:32 | More by clayrock81
alexgash

Connecticut

2.08/5  rDev +2%

I know, I know, I should be drinking this out of a 40 oz. bottle in a paper bag, whatever. I did that when I was a young college drunk but now I'm older and I drink my OE from stemware.

Pours a medium straw yellow with a fizzy, almost white head. Nose is nutrasweet over cornflakes, with a slight metallic twang, and no detectable hop bitterness. Taste starts with faintly sweet cereal malt, with a burgeoning powdery smarties candy edge. Light cardboard throughout and minimal hop bitterness and flavor. Slightly sweet in the finish. Not poisonous, but I remember why I stopped drinking this stuff!

05-06-2005 02:25:02 | More by alexgash
Lare453

1.25/5  rDev -38.7%

05-12-2013 15:48:19 | More by Lare453
rfgetz

2.13/5  rDev +4.4%

Golden yellow in color, suprisingly thick head with little retention. Scent is pale and meek, some light malt, light sweet corn and metallic notes. Taste again is somewhat clean for style, light sweet malts, sweet corn. Light, fizzy, some lingering warmth. It is what it is, and thats not very good.

07-02-2012 15:23:56 | More by rfgetz
mynie

Indiana

2.63/5  rDev +28.9%

What am I doing with this bottle? Where--where the hell am I? Where's my pants? Shit. Shit!

This is how you get DOWN. This is royalty, man. For those of us poor enough to even consider drinking malt liquor but can somehow afford the extra 50 cents to buy this instead of King Cobra it is a certain sign of classiness. It's like, even though I am illiterate and collect cans for a living at least I can still afford a Starter jacket. Yeah. At least I got that going for me.

Where are my PANTS? How the hell can I or anybody make it in this world without any pants on? Gonna have to peel off the label, I guess. Stick it against my junk and hope that people think I'm making a fashion statement. Can't tell if this is the 7% version or the 5.9% version, neither. I don't matter. What matters is the statement.

Dark gold with no head. Adjunct to adjunct, dust to dust. Like corn and water and a bit of ethanol. Really no off nodes but nothing nice about it, either. Tastes like it smells. Even at the end of the bottle, when it's getting dangerously warm, it's still drinkable.

06-21-2008 03:30:45 | More by mynie
JoeyBeerBelly

2.58/5  rDev +26.5%

I've never liked this one much and last week I bought a 16oz can to confirm that I still didn't think much of it and to give a truer review of this beer.

it looks ok in a glass, orange/amber little white head... I'm used to seeing this in a 40, so I am truly amazed.

it "stanks" the way I always remember this "stank".

it tastes the same too... kinda nasty, homes.

it goes down without causing any gag reaction.

I'm done with this stuff, B...

it's all yours!

03-25-2007 22:06:28 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
Vancer

1.93/5  rDev -5.4%

I got this as a joke, since I'm the "beer guy". Welp, jokes on them, here's the review!

Hey! The big ol' 2X4 can with the $1.19 sticker on it produces a decent pour into the Bitburger pilsner glass - clear straw with a surprising eggshell white foamy head, thick sheet of lace.

Corny husks in the aroma, just not much there. Now for the quaff. Ton's of corn, bits of veggies, all backed with a metallic finish. No alcohol burn or taste.

Not to good of a beer, and surely not something I would get again, but overall a malt liquor that I was able to finish. But finish it before it warms at all.

02-06-2009 01:45:54 | More by Vancer

11-24-2011 20:02:45 | More by deapokid
Reidrover

Oregon

1.55/5  rDev -24%

Ok it had been years since I had this. It was what i drank when I first came to America and lived in a crappy part of metro-Atlanta called Hapeville..in a roach infested condo. Me and the wife had no money so the $5 i was allowed to spend on beer went on "40s" of this.
This time bought in the 24 oz can.
Poured into my pint glass ( weird eh?Malt liquor in a glass)..its actually not bad looking for a Malt Liquor..nice goldens with a large pure white head..leaves some lacing.
Things go drastically downhill with the "aroma"..stench more like it!,,horrible chemical like..the malts seem sick.
The taste ,even as chilled as I have this is mostly faintlly malty then horrible astringent at the end..I can only imagine this will get even more revolting as it warms.
KInd a rough mouthfeel.
Man Im happy I dont have to live in a roach condominium and drink this any more..at least though its better than Camo.

02-26-2004 02:56:07 | More by Reidrover
Darkmagus82

2.46/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – As could be seen from the clear bottle, the brew pours a medium golden color. Upon pouring there is a huge two billowy white head on the top of the brew, which fades very fast to leave a light level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is quite heavy of a stale sweet corn smell mixed with a little bit of breadiness. There are some lighter notes of a musty graininess as well as some light rice smell and a bit of herb.

Taste – The taste begins with a light, but somewhat crisp flavor of corn and a bit of a bready taste. In the beginning the taste is not nearly as sweet as the nose would have suggested. The taste does however end up gaining more sweetness as the flavor advances. A sweet corn and a little bit of caramel develop more potency as the flavor moves on. While it sweetness it also gains some more musty grain and papery tastes as the flavor advances. In the end a light lemon flavor joins the profile leaving a corny and musty flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was thin and slightly watery with a carbonation level that was on the slightly higher side. The thin body and the higher carbonation are very nice for the style making it a quick and easy drinker.

Overall – An alright malt, but not the best out there. It is a bit on the crisper side for a malt, so if that is what your going for then this is a decent choice.

09-06-2013 23:49:32 | More by Darkmagus82
Olde English 800 from Miller Brewing Co.