Miller Chill - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller ChillMiller Chill

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

A Chelada-style light lager beeer with a hint of lime and salt added.

(Beer added by: Frozensoul327 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Chill Alström Bros
travolta

2.68/5  rDev +37.4%

Appearance:
No head or retention. Looks like a watered down mountain dew.

Nose:
Lime, chemically, slight wheat.

Taste:
Nice, light mouthfeel, sweet lime, melon, tiny bit of malt.

Notes:
If you MUST have a macro summer beer, this would be it. i was not impressed, but this is a better version of Zema.

10-13-2007 03:30:50 | More by travolta
MMAJYK

Georgia

A- Funky brownish color. Didnt expect that when I poured it from the bright green bottle into my pilsner glass.

S- Limelike smell. Kind of bitter at best. Smells like it tastes.

T- Off taste, like nothing ever. Doesnt taste like a fruit beer, but doesnt taste like a lager either. Taste is different, and that is what this one has going for it.

M- Very funny mouth. Watery and artifical to me.

D- Out by the pool on a hot day, would be great. Otherwise, I would not be able to stand it. Made my stomach feel funny too after a few of them. Not like a beer that I am accustomed to.

10-09-2007 17:46:15 | More by MMAJYK
sauron681

Wisconsin

1.6/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a medium light off gold color, very clear as a light beer is. No head retention at all, no lacing either. Has a light hint of lime aroma, very low carbonation, bubbles are present, but has a flat taste to it. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Bland in the flavor department, slight citric flavor, with a hint of a sour tang, possibly the "salt" but not sure. The after taste is more that of a weak margarita than of any kind of beer. This was not a pleasant session with this beer.

10-09-2007 16:12:15 | More by sauron681
wesleyhighley

2.23/5  rDev +14.4%

I'm pretty sure the only reason I bought this is because of the novelty of drinking something that shouldn't be drank. The lime and salt made me think I was drinking a nasty margarita or a diluted tequila shot. I really can't say that it was bad, but it certainly isn't something I would drink frequently or even keep on hand for a friend who liked it. It nearly gave me a stomach ache because of it's outlandish flavor and bi-polar identity. one is enough, thanks.

10-08-2007 23:29:40 | More by wesleyhighley
armock

2.5/5  rDev +28.2%

Pours your standard macro straw color with little head. Has a funky fake lime smell. That funky fake lime carries on over to the taste with some salt. The carbonation is pretty high felling. On a beach or Jimmy Buffet concert is probably the only time that I would ever have this again.

10-07-2007 19:47:03 | More by armock
twi1609372

1.8/5  rDev -7.7%

weak showing here even from miller. i find it funny miller did a comercial, their round table promotions, with burt reynolds, jimm johnston ect. and they agree not to fruit the beer, ie corona, yet they make a miller lime flavored to compete with crona, and well it's about equally bad so i guess in that respect it suceedes

10-06-2007 07:05:10 | More by twi1609372
hustlesworth

1.35/5  rDev -30.8%

reviewed from notes i took a few months ago when my bar first got this beer. i wasn't even gonna dignify its existence with a review but more and more people are ordering this stuff so i feel its my duty or something.

A- pale golden 'light beer' yellow with almost no head. a thin ring forms around the pilsner glass with a few drips of lace but nothing major. bubbles rise and there is a slight greenish tone to the beer when held to light.

S- corn grains, cooked vegetables, and stale lime candy from the 60's like something i found in my grandma's attic.

T- unnatural from the start, grassy artificial lime, and a weird salt feeling that i do not like at all.

MF- high carbonation, salt creates a funny mouthfeel even though its probably not even real salt it's 'salt flavoring'.

D- no.

this is pretty much extra light miller lite with fake lime and salt flavors. i've never heard of chelada before but if it really does exist, this is probably a disgrace to its style. it's not even real beer, it's just another corny malt beverage for people who don't like beer, but who think drinking some new and trendy 'chelada' will make them look cool. seriously how many people have this in their fridge at home? nah it's a beer to order when you go out. when you're sick of corona with lime (which is 1,000 times better). the flavor additives are the worst. other brewers have flavored beers of course like thirsty dog raspberry or sea dog blueberry but at least they are constructed with a decent beer behind the fruit flavor. sorry to slam ya, miller, cuz i grew up on high life, but keep it real. you're breaking a very big man-law here. VERY big.

10-04-2007 18:30:20 | More by hustlesworth
BigRedN

Nebraska

2.08/5  rDev +6.7%

Added one bottle to a mixed six pack on a whim. Wish that I had not.

Appearance: Poured into a pilsener glass a pale, light yellow, perfectly clear. I half expected this to be somewhat green, thankfully it is not, Thin head, left quickly, no lacing.

Smell: A little sweet and limey, fake lime, like lime juice was squeezed into a Miller Lite. Nothing else really.

Taste: It's a bit sour, a little tart. Salty with a limey tang to it. The advertising does not lie, beer with salt and lime, yuck.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with the required high carbonation, typical light macro lager.

Drinkability: For me I would not want to have this again. I got one just to try, for the experience. This is a novelty "beer", more likely to have an audience with female drinkers. Gone in a year, IMO. If you want a salty, limey drink, get a margarita.

10-01-2007 03:37:39 | More by BigRedN
atrus138

Kentucky

1.4/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured this from a 12 oz green bottle.

Looks nice enough. A nice golden color with a thin, creamy head that lasts a while. Moderately heavy lacing. Surprising.

You can smell the citrus, but it's not very potent or appealing.

Not impressed with the taste in the slightest. The lime is not satisfying. As a whole it tastes empty. The aftertaste is very salty, which makes me reluctant to go back for another sip.

Very thin. The aftertaste fortunately doesn't last very long.

The first time I had this, I had a headache. I took aspirin, which helped me twofold: 1. My headache went away. 2. I had a good excuse to not finish this without being rude to the host.

09-29-2007 22:38:43 | More by atrus138
jerrymiller

Nevada

1.45/5  rDev -25.6%

What is a Chelada? "A chelada is said to be a cerveza that has been poured into a glass with salted rim containing lime juice and ice. Very refreshing on a hot day."

I tried this beer out one day while on a bike ride over the summer (the week it came out.) Hey, at least I got a free lime press for buying a case for about ten dollars.

Serving was from a green 12 oz. bottle. Served ice cold.

Appearance: Crystal clear, yellowish and thin with a fragile head that evaporates in moments -- no matter how skilled the pour is. Very frothy and active looking. Looks like watered down apple juice.

Smell: Citrus, lime, salts ascorbic and aspartaney lime. No trace of malt. Dare I admit? I smelled a little skunk…

Taste: Thin and a little sour -- presumably from the artificial lime flavoring. The salt aftertaste was not pleasant. It felt a little like gargling with salt water to cure a sore throat.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, cold and watery.

Overall: Unpleasant, even served too cold.

09-28-2007 19:05:24 | More by jerrymiller
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

1.5/5  rDev -23.1%

OK the Miller Rep brought this into our store trying to sell it in. We tried it and..Miller Chill? More like Miller Swill. The lime taste just didn't taste right at all. I felt like I was drinking a Smirnoff or something similar. They made a bad beer worse. With Corona adding a lime does actually make it taste a bit better but this was not a good thing. The mouthfeel was thin and highly carbonated. Drinkability is none.

09-25-2007 18:37:04 | More by Beerbuddha
kimcgolf

Georgia

1.88/5  rDev -3.6%

Back in the day, Miller was always my favorite of the BMC’s. That, along with the fact that I enjoyed a Tecate with lime, made me think this might be halfway decent. WRONG!!

I don’t know what the flavor was in this, but it wasn’t lime, unless it was lime flavored soap. Not only did it not enhance the flavor, it basically ruined the entire beer.

Nose, flavor and palate were all this fruity-soapy mix, that never got better. I had to pour the bottle dwon the drain at mid-glass.

Probably one of the ten worst beers I’ve ever had.

09-24-2007 01:47:06 | More by kimcgolf
SixpointJMH

2.58/5  rDev +32.3%

Pours a typical macro light, fairly crisp golden colour with a frothy head that dissolves quite rapidly.

The aroma is primarily of lime and not much else. Not bad but not very beer like. Weird, but expected I guess given what this is.

Flavour is basically more of the same. It really is like drinking a Miller Lite with a good dose of lime added to the mix, although the lime flavour does not always taste natural and is somewhat syrupy at times. Salt notes are barely present and can't even be noticed most of the time. Mouthfeel is light bodied and refreshing.

This one was pretty bad, but it wasn't nearly as awful as expected. If they could get a more natural lime flavour into the mix and maybe get some actual malt or hop flavour to compliment the abundance of lime, this one could be on the path to something at least decent/average but as it stands now it's just not that good.

09-24-2007 00:01:25 | More by SixpointJMH
orbitalr0x

1.95/5  rDev 0%

12oz green bottle. Pours into my glass an extremely light yellow color with a fizzy white head that sticks around due to lots of active carbonation. If this was much lighter it would be clear. Not looking good so far. Aromas of light cereal grains along with a somewhat artificial lime. Somewhat of a weird sweetness as well. Not much else going on though, except for some DMS.

First sip brings a light cooked grain malt upfront along with a mellow lime twang that doesn't pass as being real lime juice, but does bring in a sweet aspect. The salt is noticeable on the way down along with some more DMS flavor. Bleh, this brew doesn't do anything for me. The flavors seem artificial and just don't work.

Mouthfeel is extremely light and arid with lots of carbonation. Carbonated water is not a bad comparison at all. I can see this being refreshing, but I can think of many many more tasty beers that are equally refreshing. I bought this single because I couldn't help but try it, but for me there's not many redeeming qualities to Miller Chill. No thanks, I think it's best to avoid this one.

09-19-2007 23:40:03 | More by orbitalr0x
Winter

Wisconsin

2.33/5  rDev +19.5%

Chelada-style beer. Well according to that, it would be any lager served over ice with lime juice. More on this later...

Pours a pale yellow in color with a white head that retreated rather quickly. Nothing really stands out in the aroma... just a hint of lime. Thin mouthfeel. The taste has a rather bland forefront with a salty lime-flavored finish.

After a few sips I realized this beer was going nowhere, so I squeezed a few slices of lime into it and fill the pint glass with ice. Now we're talking. The additional lime juice added much more character to it. Being on ice also chilled the beer way down and kept it very drinkable. The only downside was that as the ice melted an already thin beer became even more watery. Despite that, I had most of the glass consumed by then so it wasn't that big a deal.

IMO in you have to adulterate a beer like I did to enjoy it than something is wrong. That being said, I enjoyed it much more with the additional lime and on the rocks. Truer to its origin perhaps?

09-19-2007 04:13:14 | More by Winter
dogger6253

2.3/5  rDev +17.9%

Hmmm....doesn't start off with any sort of interesting characteristic. The body is practically clear, it kind of looks like putting a couple of yellow Skittles into a cup of water, when the color starts to dissolve... I don't know, that's the best way to describe it, yellowish in places, but literally clear at the bottom. Short, white head falls into a thin ring around the top of the glass. No body to the head at all. Severely disappointing.

The smell is pleasant, but not very deep. There is a lime scent for sure with sort of a sweet overtone, not much else. Smells like beer.

Well, the taste is certainly interesting to say the least. It tastes like lime soda. There is absolutely nothing in the taste that tells me this is beer. I can taste some salt too. Entirely sweet, are there no hops or what?

Light bodied, but highly carbonated. It's like drinking soda. I can see this being highly drinkable, but I will never get another one for myself. It's not bad, it's just lackluster. Nothing about it draws me in.

09-14-2007 05:42:59 | More by dogger6253
bradley194

2.48/5  rDev +27.2%

Ok maybe it was the fact that it was hot as hell outside or something, but initially I liked this beer a lot. I thought it was refreshing. It really is rather refreshing and I do not think that there is an easier beer on the face of the planet to drink, but...

One day it hit me that I really did not like this beer. It is extremely thin. It is heavily carbonated which I do like. There is a strong taste of limes and a little bit of salt. The only way to drink this is if it is EXTREMELY COLD. I mean I am talking that bits of ice are forming on the top.

The color is a kind of well...urine color. It is very light and tastes every bit as light as it looks.

Ok now granted this beer was probably not made to win any beer championships, and it is refreshing when it is hot outside, but any other time this beer kind of makes me sick to my stomach.

I recommend it if you want something that you can drink on a hot day and also drink about 12 of them without getting even a slight buzz.

09-12-2007 19:08:07 | More by bradley194
snpub540

1.5/5  rDev -23.1%

So a bunch of my friends have been talking about this beer, and since a normal Chelada is something I grab on a warm day by the beach, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Poured a highly fizzy yellow, sort of like apple juice, with a small white head. It was what I expected from an American Macro.

The smell was all lime and a little skunky. I could barely get the beer smell out of it.

Taste was nothing like the Cheladas that I am used to. The lime is very overpowering, instead of being an accent to the beer. Definate taste of salt in there and thats it.

Feels the same on the palate as a regular Miller so no surprise. I could only drink one, because the lime taste is way too much and just turned me off totally.

09-10-2007 23:29:13 | More by snpub540
John_M

1.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Came upon a copy of my review of this beer from several months ago. The Miller Chill girls were visiting Max's, promoting their "product." This included free sample bottles of this stuff. Even free I wasn't interested, but shared a glass with my neighbor at the bar.

Cute girls, crappy beer. The one does not cancel out the other I'm afraid.

The beer looks exactly like you would expect it would. Adding lemon/lime to a glass of miller isn't going to improve it's appearance, obviously, so of course it pours a light yellow color with no head retention (unless you call 10 seconds of quickly dissipating fizz head retention) and no lacing. In other words, after about 30 seconds the beer looked like a urine sample.

On the nose one gets a hint of lemon lime, which I guess is a good thing. I don't recall what miller smells like and I don't want to be reminded. The smell is probably the best part of this beer.

On the palate I get some lime flavor, but that's about it. I'm not really even sure why this is called a beer, as I get no hop or malt flavor. This "beer" epitomizes the expression watery. Light, insipid, watery and altogether boring. Yep, everything I'm lookin for in a glass of beer.

The beer is very light, and thankfully very watery and generally inoffensive. I'm not sure why I would drink this if I were in the mood for a beer, but maybe this would be a nice alternative to seltzer water.... bad seltzer water.

OK, this beer was probably not as horrible as I was expecting, but that's only because I was expecting complete and utter swill. However, I did not get sick from drinking this beer, and the worst I can really say about it is that's boring, and therefore tiring, to drink.

Obviously, even free I would not be interested in drinking this beer ever again.

09-09-2007 16:09:18 | More by John_M
happygnome

2.17/5  rDev +11.3%

a: light golden color with about a eigth inch of head that dissapears fast leaving no lacing
s: sweet actually very sweet, lime kind of like an alco pop
t: very sweet, even more so than the aroma, it really tastes like cool aid, not too appealing in my book, way too much lime and salt and overall sweetness
m: light bodied beer with average carbonation big bubble present in carbonaion

overall, this is not a very good beer, way too sweet, no bitterness

09-07-2007 20:05:02 | More by happygnome
adam42381

2.75/5  rDev +41%

I'm going against the grain here. Nothing pretentious here, just an honest review. Let's review this for what it is: a light, refreshing, different tasting "beer". This isn't a big bold beer in any sense so I'm not goint to review it as such. It actually doesn't really taste much like beer at all. It has a nice lime flavor that reminds me of a hard 7UP. It is very refreshing and goes down very smooth. You can easily down several of these without thinking about it. While it's obviously not on the same level as most micro offerings, it accomplishes what it set out to do. I would much rather drink this than Bud Light or Miller Lite any day. On a hot afternoon, it doesn't get a lot better than this. Obviously, it's not a great beer, but I don't think it tries to be.

09-07-2007 14:36:42 | More by adam42381
Damian

2.85/5  rDev +46.2%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz./355 mL bottle purchased at Cambridge Wine & Spirits, Cambridge, MA

After all the marketing hype surrounding this beer, I decided to give it a try.

The beer poured an ultra-pale, golden yellow with a small, white, bubbly head that quickly dissolved. After a few minutes of sitting, the beer looked completely flat.

The aroma was super sweet (almost artificially sweet) with strong notes of bubblegum.

The taste was sickly sweet and reminded me of a flavored malt beverage. Bubblegum was once again immediately noticeable along with cotton candy and soda-like lemon/lime notes (Sprite came to mind). Some corn came through mid-palate. The finish was malty rich (in an adjunct sort of way) and very sweet, yet rather citrusy, crisp and light.

The body was quite thin and watery with a highly over carbonated and airy mouthfeel.

As much as I wanted to hate this beer, it was not as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, it was actually quite refreshing (albeit overly sweet). I would definitely recommend this if you are looking for a light beer on a hot summer day or if you are a sorority girl seeking a quick buzz.

09-06-2007 20:42:14 | More by Damian
Limberg316

1.73/5  rDev -11.3%

I had to give into curiousity and give it a try just once so I got a six pack. It is a light beer that drinks easily (why else would you ever want to drink it) with a hint of salt and lime. I can't help but wonder why you would want those two ingredients in a beer. Not mimpressed at all and probably wont buy it again.

09-06-2007 01:48:51 | More by Limberg316
headlessparrot

Ontario (Canada)

2.17/5  rDev +11.3%

A six-pack of Miller Chill, courtesy of the soon-to-be brother-in-law, who regularly makes trips to the States. I wasn't actively seeking out this beer, but I'll try it anyway - just because, you know. And what the hell does 'Chelada Style" mean, anyway? I have honestly never heard that word before.

In any case, I found a mason jar (seemed appropriate glassware), and dumped the contents of the bottle. As I was pretty well expecting, the results were less than stellar. Light straw gold colour (though not as anemic as I might have figured), with heavy, visible effervescence, and topped by a cap of less than one finger of head (which comes mostly, I assume from the aforementioned heavy carbonation). Pretty lacklustre, but then, who was expecting much from a beer pushing itself as the beer for people who don't like beer.

Smell is, as you can imagine, quite unusual. This barely qualifies as beer - it makes lambics look like all-malt lagers. But it's not too bad. Not that bad, anyway. Smells mostly of lime (artificially, though, like Sprite, 7-up, or perhaps more accurately, like a store-brand lemon-lime soda), with a dose of salt. Almost like a weak margarita? There's little to nothing in the way of actual beer character, though. Maybe a bit of cereal grain if you really close your eyes and take a deep whiff. Closer to soda-water with lime than beer, but I guess it's not egregiously bad.

Taste is more of the same. If this is beer, slap me in the mouth and call me Charlie. Heavy on the lime and salt (both quite artificial), heavy on the carbonation, but not heavy on anything else (aside from, say, the queasiness). I could see slugging back a few of these on a really hot day, but it doesn't at all satisfy my thirst for a real beer. Even a regular macro would do so better. No malt, no hops. Again, maybe some cereal grain if you really concentrate. Like a bizarre mixture of bar lime, salt, and soda water, soaked in a little bit of dry breakfast cereal.

Mouthfeel is obviously weak. Feels sticky and sugary, but watery, and is quite heavily overcarbonated (it burns my tongue). In terms of drinkability - well, some lightweight somewhere, who doesn't like beer, could drink thirty of these in a night and kill himself. So in that respect, at least, this stuff is drinkable. But as a beer - even as a lowest-common denominator, beer-on-the-front-porch with the guys beer - this is not so much fun. Maybe one would be OK on a hot, hot day - but only one, before I'd move on to much better, much more refreshing fare.

Avoid Miller Chill. For your benefit and for mine, just avoid it. It will be best for all of us.

09-02-2007 19:05:04 | More by headlessparrot
dragonglen

1.48/5  rDev -24.1%

I drank this straight from the bottle

A - Since I had it from the bottle, it's a little tough. However, it looked very pale and light, though it did have excellent clarity. This is not a beer I would ever try on look alone.

S - I could smell a hint of lime, but is smelled more like sweat and a hint of hops.

T - This wasn't the worst beer I've ever had, but it was in my bottom 5. It really reminded me of sweat. I could barely detect the lime, but there was a strong salty taste. The hoppy flavor was underwhelming and too bitter.

M - Not really much to report here. Nothing amazing or even average compared to what I would consider an "average" beer.

D - This is a beer that I would never try again. My father-in-law mentioned wanting to get it because it was cheaper than Corona, but I held my tongue. He didn't mind it too much, and another buyer in the store said his wife loved "Chiller", which I guess is the hip new name for it amongst those that enjoy it. I've had other light beers, and this is among the worst for me. I think if the lime tasted more natural and they toned down the saltiness, it wouldn't be so bad, but it definitely couldn't be compared to a Corona.

09-02-2007 14:51:07 | More by dragonglen
Miller Chill from Miller Brewing Co.