Miller Chill - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller ChillMiller Chill

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

A Chelada-style light lager beeer with a hint of lime and salt added.

(Beer added by: Frozensoul327 on 03-07-2007)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Chill Alström Bros
zerofear13

2.15/5  rDev +9.7%

I'm not quite sure I understand this brew and what Miller was going for. 12 oz. bottle that has a strong lime smell and almost no signs of any hops. Taste is very interesting: never had I had a beer that was more part something else and less part beer. Even the weakest beers have more than 50% beer taste, but not Miller Chill. This brew was almost 75% tangy lime juice water and 25% light beer. Not exactly disgusting, but not what I would call beer. I agree with the assertion that Chill is a "beer for people who don't like beer." Be warned, looks very appealing, but is not good in terms of being a beer.

08-31-2007 00:35:09 | More by zerofear13
GojiraST

1.15/5  rDev -41.3%

This may very well be the most vile substance ever to emerge from a beer bottle.

The lime hint tasted artificial, like the smell of an air freshener or a lime scented candle. The salt was way too prevalent. The underlying beer had very little taste of its own. I literally could not finish the first bottle. The mouthfeel was sticky in a BAD way.

There was an aftertaste from the artificial lime that again brought stick air fresheners to mind. Disturbingly petrochemical.

I have never before disposed of an unconsumed six pack. Beers I don't dig hang around until someone comes to visit. I can't think of anyone I dislike enough to inflict this particular beer on, so I trashed it.

08-30-2007 22:21:33 | More by GojiraST
lordofthewiens

Maine

2.38/5  rDev +21.4%

My wife ordered this, took a couple sips, and said she couldn't finish it. In the interest of science, I finished it. Pretty clear without much color. Medium head that quickly disappeared. Tangy lime aroma, but smelled artificial. The taste was worse. I think there was supposed to be some lime, but all I could tell was it tasted a little tangy. Not even very refreshing. I'm not sure why anyone would intentionally drink this beer.

08-29-2007 21:39:31 | More by lordofthewiens
BattleRoadBrewer

2.3/5  rDev +17.3%

Served from an ice cold green bottle into a 16 oz plastic cup, just as it was intended.

Pours crystal clear, looking like watered down light beer. Massive stark white fluffy head quickly dissipated.

Strong aroma of sulfur, the only clue this was ever fermented, along with a hint of lime, but not the refreshing citrus bite you'd get with real lime.

Tastes perhaps like watered down diet ginger ale with a twist. I almost gave it a 2.5 for taste, but the last couple warm swigs were gross. But At least I could finish it, I've had worse!

Mouthfeel of water--at least the carbonation doesn't make it so effervescent that it wouldn't go down easy. Goes down real easy, leaves a sour aftertaste.

This is truly a "beer" soda pop malt beverage designed to deliver alcohol. Not recommended. Just get a Corona with a twist and you're better off.

08-26-2007 22:28:13 | More by BattleRoadBrewer
taez555

3.15/5  rDev +60.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured an extremely light pale watery looking body which as it was pouring, poured a huge head immediately died to almost nothing. Seriously one of the palest water like bodies ever. almost looks like a cider.

Nose is an in your face artificial lime smell. Honestly it smells like a knock-off store brand lemon/lime soda where the flavors are all shifted in the wrong direction. Unique, but honestly not bad at all, big in your face and very inviting.

Taste is very light bodied with a large soda like carbonation. Strong lime soda type flavors dominate. Again, it’s very much like those knock-off “7-ZZZup” store brand soda’s they sell. The salt flavor is present, but very much in the background only giving it a light touch hinting at bitterness. Not much in the way of malt base, but it does have hint of macro lager, although very mild. Crisp, clean and today's it's 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity as I review, and yes.... refreshing.

Does anyone remember AB’s beer tequiza from from the late 90's? This tastes almost exactly like that. Mix 7up, a squirt of imitation lime, a miller light, some water and dash of salt and you get Miller chill. Honestly.... I don’t hate it. It’s not great, but it’s surprisingly drinkable.

08-25-2007 00:23:56 | More by taez555
BDIMike

3.7/5  rDev +88.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Everyone on this website is going to be mad at me for this review. However, this site tells people to review a beer for what it is. I think Miller Chill is exactly what it advertizes. It is a refreshing, crisp, and light beer. I'm not saying its great, but it is basically Miller trying to create a beer that will take sales away from St. Louis's #1 "Mexican" beer. Personally, I would drink one of these over a Corona any day.

08-24-2007 00:06:12 | More by BDIMike
Overlord

1.13/5  rDev -42.3%

I'm not necessarily adverse to strongly fruit flavored beers, so I thought this might be interesting to consider for a hot summer day. I had a chance to try some at a Bevmo tasting.

Absolutely putrid. Appearance is unpleasant, the taste is lime-juiced mixed to a beer-like consistency and carbonated with club soda, and I found the entire sample disgusting.

Stay away.

08-20-2007 02:51:39 | More by Overlord
oldirtycaffrey

3.48/5  rDev +77.6%

Wanted to try this one before the summer ended, even tho' I had my reservations that this would be a Tequiza throwback. Pleasantly surprised however with the smell & taste. The appearance is underwhelming--straw yellow, watery, thin, foamy head that dissipates quickly. But the salty smell of lime and hops redeems it, and the taste follows with a nice kick. There is a slight sour aftertaste, but this is definitely a better-than-expected beer. Could easily drink a lot of these on a hot summer day or a cool summer night.

08-19-2007 00:19:48 | More by oldirtycaffrey
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

2.55/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz green bottle. VERY very light yellow translucent body (almost the color of water - really one of the lightest beers I've ever seen) with a thin white film. Smells prodominantly fruity - like natural lime flavor with a fair bit of salt too. Tastes sweet, like lime flavoring with a little salt in the background. Kind of reminds me of Sprite or Sierra Mist. Extremely light in body with a lot of carbonation. Relatively refreshing, though I have to say the Jason was spot-on about this being borderline malternative. Not horrible (though the salt flavor could be toned down a bit), but definitely not something I'll be drinking of my own volition or on my own dime anytime soon.

08-19-2007 00:08:32 | More by MrHurmateeowish
eb003

Kentucky

3.2/5  rDev +63.3%

Well, as baxterbrew says... it's not pretty or complex... but it's the "cute girl at the end of the bar that's fun to hangout with"...

It's not the best beer I've had... it's not the worst, but it's pretty good. It has an average appearance, an average smell of limes... the tast is also average. The mouthfeel is light and the drinkability is above average.

Overall, it's a decent brew...worth trying...

08-18-2007 05:33:03 | More by eb003
baxterbrew

Tennessee

I am prefacing this with the fact that this is not a wonderful, complex beer. BUT, it is a good beer for the masses. I had one at a picnic this evening and succumbed to my curiosity. The color is typical macro lager, the smell is sweet and limey. The taste...well it kind of tastes like a lime Zima. It's very light and limey and very carbonated. I thought that it tasted almost nearly unlike beer BUT I don't really think lambics taste much like beer either. So it is what it is. It ain't purty and it ain't complex and it ain't smart, but it's the kind of cute girl at the bar that's fun to hang out with.

08-18-2007 03:11:59 | More by baxterbrew
ByTor2112

2.98/5  rDev +52%

Well I have not heard anyone say this is nasty so I am game and I fear no beer!
Aroma is rather benign, not heavy on lime, been many years since Tequiza and it is what I was expecting.
Taste is light and the lime flavor is more subtle than expected. Been drinking Margaritas so this is mixing well!
Finishes clean and it is like MGD with a good flavoring of Lime.
Not bad, not bad at all, quite quaffable.

08-18-2007 02:16:30 | More by ByTor2112
williamherbert

2.53/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I finally broke down to try this one out of morbid curiosity. I expected some kind of disaster of the taste buds, but it seriously isn't that bad considering style and origins. Oh don't get me wrong, I don't love it, but it's not the monstrosity I anticipated.

The color isn't that impressive, though not awful. It's completely transparent, a straw yellow color. It does have a surprising amount of head, and even more surprising light lacing.

The aroma is typical BMC lager scent, with just a tiny hint of the obligatory salt and lime that the label tells you will be there. It's still pretty weak by beer standards.

The flavor is actually quite limey, and that is fine considering it covers up the lame BMC pale lager flavor that I feared the most. I really must say that the extras are a welcome change to the regular mediocre macro fare. Surprisingly decent.

The feel is nothing, it's thin and watery, and I think they wanted it that way. Still, no points here. I must say, overall it's not a horrible summery drink. It's light enough and just fruity enough to be thirst-quenching during the summer. They call it "Corona with the lime already included" but I'd have to say this is a step above. Not great, but certainly not awful.

08-17-2007 02:33:03 | More by williamherbert
DrinkinBuddy

1.35/5  rDev -31.1%

Pours a light golden color with a puny little white head with no body. The smell is probably the worst thing about this. It smelt like a wet mop.(seriously, you know how an old mop or dish rag smells like? that's it!) Taste is god awful too carbonated, and the lime is really weak tasting. About as bad as a corona with lime, or at least comparable. Not much for mouth feel, besides the bubbly annoyance of carbonation. I won't mention drinkability because it's not worth it. Not impressed at all.

08-15-2007 16:35:46 | More by DrinkinBuddy
gauchebag

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Friend of mine brought over a sixer and left three of them so I thought I'd try one.

Nothing going on in the appearance world, looks like Miller Lite, pretty clear. Little to no head that hardly exists even briefly. Nothing going on in the smell department at all. Smells sweet and maybe slightly limey.

Taste? lol. Calling this a beer is certainly a stretch. Whatever little lime odor there was is not evident in the taste of the beer. Instead it is just generically fruity, as if you had poured a little fountain fruit punch into a beer. There is a strange bitterness that is apparent only at the sides of the mouth/tongue. Not much of an aftertaste at all.

It feels in the mouth much like, say, Pellegrino would except slightly more carbonated. I've seen the word "thin" thrown around a lot in these reviews and that's exactly the word for it.

It's actually pretty drinkable all things considered. It's not how I want my beer to taste at all but if you were blind-tasting it among sodas and fruity drinks, you'd probably think it was pretty good. I won't ever be buying this beer but might go for one in the future at say a barbecue if all that's offered is Corona and this.

08-12-2007 16:21:19 | More by gauchebag
brewdlyhooked13

2.45/5  rDev +25%

Appearance - pale straw, vibrant white head of over a finger which falls down in about 45 seconds. Hangs onto a thin cover a bit longer. A strand of skinny lace here and there.

Aroma - grain and light sweet lime. A little candyish/alcopoppish but it's lower level makes it okay. Goes downhill with warmth, though, and starts going vegetal.

Taste - diluted grain and an obvious sweet lime flavor. It really reminds me of Froot Loops cereal, frankly. The fruit flavor has both sweet and tart elements. Ends with the fruit still dominating and nary, I say *nary* an expression of hops. A summery fruity beer with limited appeal.

Mouthfeel - thin and rather gassy, you'll burp your way through this, but for the style it's a fit.

Drinkability - trendy as I'm seeing many fruit-enhanced beers this spring/summer. It's no less refreshing than a shandy, it may even prevent scurvy! There's a marketing angle they let get away. Much too pricy at a buck a bottle.

08-08-2007 20:51:02 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Taipans

Missouri

1.68/5  rDev -14.3%

Before I knew what real beer was I use to throw back a few corona's with lime from time to time. I expected this to be no better or worse then corona with lime. I was very scared of this beer from the beginning, it just seemed fake, atleast the corona had a real lime shoved into it.
I was right, dead on, this tastes like miller light with some lime flavoring added to it. Not real lime, just some lab created chemical.

A- Light yellow, a little head retention
S- Fake lime, almost soapy
T- Lime from start to finish, with a little miller light thrown in, very chemical like flavor
M- Light and watery as expected
D- I guess since its easy and low on ABV it could be a quencher in the summer, but I wont ever try this again.

Stay away!

08-06-2007 17:41:07 | More by Taipans
Freshie

1.27/5  rDev -35.2%

Appearance not too bad. Light golden color with one finger head.

Smell was just horrid. I honestly thought of cat urine. I know that's rough, but that's what I smelt.

Taste was not much better. Had a very watery sweet flavor indicative of flat lemon-lime soda. A very faint hop bite.

Not many beer attributes. I agree with assessment "beer for people who don't like beer".

08-04-2007 22:10:25 | More by Freshie
Jason

1.63/5  rDev -16.8%

A quick decanting shows the obvious clarity of a light beer and the head of one as well. Not much head retention at all but it was not expected. Odd lime aroma, very similar to the natural agents added to soda. There is even a salty note in the nose. First sip shows an extremely thin body with a forced refreshing carbonation. The flavor is the same as the aroma, soda-like lime flavor. Very little malt character at all, hops are a no show and there is a mild salty tone middle to end. Bone dry with a watery lime flavor in the finish.

Chalk this up at a border-line malternative, a beer for people that don't like beer. It actually tastes like a really bad diet soda. Even if this does stick around for more than several years and not deemed a fad anymore it will simply live on as a sub-par product for the ignorant uneducated consumer. Hell, with the amount of soda that is sold in the US this one will probably be here for a long long time but this will be the last visit here as this is a big fat thumbs down.

08-03-2007 20:05:02 | More by Jason
beerphilosopher

2.25/5  rDev +14.8%

The substance poured a very, very pale blonde color (as I described it to a friend, it appears like a pint glass of water that someone soaked a corn chip in for a few minutes) and displayed a surprisingly thin, soapy head of bright white. The nose (no, that term is too high-brow for this beer) … the smell was of pale rice grain and corn with an entire package of Spree candy dumped in. Okay, upon the initial tasting, this “beer” comes across less like a beer and more like a malt liquor product like Zima, really. After a couple more attempts, it dawns on me … this is a simply a Miller Lite with Hawaiian Punch added. I detect no lime, although there is a cheap candy-like fruit thing going on, and definitely no salt. For this, I’m actually thankful. The mouthfeel is extremely thin, like carbonated water, and the finish was clean and “spritzy” – more of a citrus soda in this regard than anything else I can think of at the moment. Over all, maybe the Miller folks have nailed what they were trying to create - a Chelada - which is basically a way to make a Mexican beer taste better, if that is possible. I know full well I’m not the demographic they’re trying to reach with this one, but man … I don’t even think I could do this for an occasional lawnmower beer. Definitely not my cup of tea (I’d have certainly preferred a cup of tea!) but if you’re into this sort of thing, knock yourself out.

08-02-2007 01:48:24 | More by beerphilosopher
gusdabrew

2.2/5  rDev +12.2%

Low and behold, the marketing got to me. The bottle looks great wet and cold. I grabbed a 12 pack at the local Kroger along with a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Pale ale. They were 12.99 each. All I can say is screw you Miller. I compared my stand by pale ale with Miller Chill and it became evident that Miller makes a defective product. Nothing of quality is evident. No lime, hops, no malt, no anything. I want my money back. Anyone considering Miller Swill (ooops) Chill should try Sierra Nevada Pale ale instead for real beer enjoyment.

07-31-2007 17:41:53 | More by gusdabrew
SMark

2.25/5  rDev +14.8%

Beer was poured from a 12 ounce bottle at 43º. It displayed a clear, light color with very large bubbles and a nice head of foam which quickly dissipated. Bubbles were non existent after a few minutes also.

Citrus, lime was especially evident. No noticeable malt or hop aromas were detected.

Lime was present with the taste and seemed to ask for some salty potato chips, tostados, or tortilla chips.

No lingering affects as this is a beer to be consumed on a hot summer day after working up a sweat and a thirst. Do not waste your time by mulling over this effort too long.

Overall this beer is not a bad attempt by a major brewer. There are some interesting qualities but it should not be confused with a beer that is meant to inspire invigorating conversation. It is a beer to quench thirst.

07-31-2007 01:13:25 | More by SMark
mymrnngjckt

1.35/5  rDev -31.1%

I tried a bottle of this recently and I thought I should review it. Poured into a plactic cup. The color was light and almost transparent. It lacked smell. Seriously, it had no smell. The beer tasted like lemon lime soda. It had no beer taste at all. I would consider this more a malt beverage than a beer. The mouthfeel was full of carbonation. Drinkability? I don't know how to answer that. Some people might like it. Others might not.

07-30-2007 14:34:13 | More by mymrnngjckt
Brent

Kentucky

1.25/5  rDev -36.2%

I'll give a new macro a try, just out of curiosity, but normally I don't bother with a rating. I'm making an exception here, because I want to do my part to see that this monstrosity gets the low rating it deserves. Poured a pale straw typical of a light beer. Aroma was an odd, sweet soda-pop. Flavor was dominated by a sweet, Kool-Aid lemon-lime flavor, with a strange, metallic aftertaste that I suppose was intended to be the salt flavor, but was more like putting a quarter in your mouth. If there was any beer flavor in this beverage, I couldn't find it. Stock this next to the Zima.

07-30-2007 14:23:10 | More by Brent
udubdawg

Kansas

1.33/5  rDev -32.1%

on the rare occasion that I drink Corona, I squeeze a shitload of lime in there, although I suppose that is mostly to block the smell...so I figured what the heck, I'll try it.

...I better grab something good, because right now my palate is whimpering like a 3 year old - "was I bad???"

OK, this is awful. The lime is even artificial-tasting, chemical-y and nasty. And how much salt is in here?!? Is this swill what they put on the chips at Chipotle? Nah, can't be - I kinda like those.

Can't even really get beer in there. Reminds me of some drunken bet during college - mix some nasty stuff together and tell some sot you'll give him a six-pack if he sucks it down without throwing up.

sorry for the crappy review, but this is a crappy excuse for beer. I forced half the bottle down and decided that was enough for a review. Aroma? - it smells like lime in the sense that a Sprite smells like lime. Drinkability? - off the (bottom of the) charts! Taste? - what, weren't you reading earlier?

Never again.

07-29-2007 22:49:58 | More by udubdawg
Miller Chill from Miller Brewing Co.