Miller Chill - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller ChillMiller Chill

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

A Chelada-style light lager beeer with a hint of lime and salt added.

(Beer added by: Frozensoul327 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Chill Alström Bros

12 oz bottle. Pours a clear fizzy light yellow with a fizzy rocky white head that retains well and leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet corny macro malts with some sugary lime-like tequila.

The flavor is sweet corn malts and lots of sugary lime and some mint with a bit of a skunky off-malt aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with sharp fizzy carbonation.

Overall, it's not beer - more of a malternative. But surprisingly, it is drinkable. I have had worse beers, and this is better than most macros.

Beaver13, Oct 31, 2007
2.25/5  rDev +15.4%

Overall I was not impressed with this beer, it was a bit overpowering as far as a beer goes, way too much of a lime flavor to it. Reminded me of a Zima or Tequiza. The aftertaste left a little to be desired. I could drink this beer if it were the only thing around, but all in all it was not the worst I have had but definately the last thing I would grab.

skeetermoses, Oct 29, 2007

Any time that you have to add lime to beer, it must taste like piss!

A friend of mine brought this over to the house when I was throwing a party during an OSU football game. It was one of the worst tasting beers/sodas I have ever had!

This thing poured like tap water and only had carbonation bubbles.

The smell was just stupid, nothing resembling a beer.

The taste was so strong of lime and corn that I had trouble not spitting it out all over my living room floor.

My friend means well, but has no idea what a good beer tastes like. He is a Natural Light drinker. When he wasn't looking, I went outside and dumped the rest out of my glass that I couldn't bare to finnish. I quickly grabbed one of my Sierra Nevada Pale Ales and opened it before he could offer me another one. I can't believe that this drink actually made it through the marketing process.

metallistout, Oct 28, 2007
1.83/5  rDev -6.2%

Is this really a beer? I guess I'll treat it as such. Appearance is not good. Pale transparent yellow with minimal and quickly-disappearing head. I've smelled this smell before. It smells like when you have a party and wake up at 11:30 the next morning to clean up all the beer and booze bottles and you discover a Corona that's still 1/4 full with a lime that's been marinating in it overnight. That's what this beer smells like. I think that's how it tastes, too. It tastes like a light beer with some margarita mix in it. Then again, I think that is what's trying to be created here. So... Congratulations Miller Brewing. You created a "beer" that girls who don't like beer can drink.

berserker256, Oct 24, 2007
2.55/5  rDev +30.8%

Muted maize beneath a dingy white, styrofoam-like lid that snaps, crackles and pops its way from three fingers to near oblivion inside of two minutes. If a head can look artificially created, this one does. Maybe it's the salt.

The nose, while nowhere near beer-like, is sort of pleasant... in a lime juicy, watered-down margarita kind of way. As far as the score is concerned, this is Beer Advocate and Chill is beer and, therefore, will have to be judged as beer. Edit: a change of philosophy midway through the bottle results in a minor bump in the score.

What an odd concoction. On the good side, it isn't as 'spit it out' awful as it might have been. On the bad side, it's much closer to a low alcohol, less sweet, lime-infused alcopop than it is to beer; but then I was pretty sure that would be the case going in. Is it better than a bottle of Corona with a chunk of lime jammed into the neck? Yep.

Each mouthful starts out with a rush of sweetened lime peel that favors artificial over natural. Never mind the 'Natural Flavor' along the bottom of the label. The salt (just a touch) hits at the midway point, and then both lime and salt fade away on the finish as the typical flavors of a subpar macro lager (waterlogged cereal grains) find their way to the taste buds. This stuff is actually drinkable and would be even more so on a scorching July day. Just don't kid yourself that you're drinking real beer.

The mouthfeel is supposed to be light, but it doesn't need to be this harshly fizzy. I don't mind the number of bubbles, I mind their harsh, soda pop buzziness on the tongue.

I've decided not to judge Miller Chill by the usual 'beer rules'. If I did so, the scores would fall significantly right across the board. Keeping in mind the target the brewery was aiming at, they didn't do a bad job. It goes without saying, but Chill needs to stay chilled or things fall apart in a hurry.

BuckeyeNation, Oct 23, 2007
1.18/5  rDev -39.5%

I decided to try this with an open mind and also because it was free. One of the more heinous substances I have ever put in my mouth. Clear golden yellow pour with fizzy head. This tastes more like a Sierra Mist or Fresca that has gone bad rather than just a bad Miller beer product. Has an extreme artificial, chemical taste to it. The "brewmaster" who came up with this should be flogged.

biggmike, Oct 22, 2007
1.9/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Pale golden in color, with a small white head, which soon collapses to a slight scattering of foam, with moderate carbonation, and slight lacing.

Aroma: Rather like lime and stale cheese. The malt presence is quite subdued.

Taste: Pale malt and a slight hop presence, infused with mildly bitter lime; the lime flavors dominate the taste. The finish is dry, with a lingering note of increasingly bitter lime.

Mouth feel: Thin, with rather aggressive carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: A rather mediocre example, it seems quite pointless.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce green glass bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

Pegasus, Oct 21, 2007
1.48/5  rDev -24.1%

Appearance: Oh-so fizzy! Pours a crystal clear, pale yellow body with a fizzy, white head.

Smell: Oh, how it stinks! Artificially flavored lime soda with strong notes of sorrow and unhappiness.

Taste: Semi-sweet, artificial lime flavor with a tiny pinch of salt and sumptuous notes of abused gym bags.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Ugh. A horrendous mix between a Zima and a Corona, it doesn't sit well and is a bit of a stomach churner.

ChainGangGuy, Oct 21, 2007
2.3/5  rDev +17.9%

Glad you could come up w/ a style for this , my buddy left this thing in my fridge; i will give it this it looks the part, a pale straw-urine color that an exotic beer should be, a faint white head that dissapeared w/ minimal lacing; the smell was a comb. of lime peel & rice, i steeled myself what came next;it comes off ok but goes downhill from there can almost taste some malts but it's overwhelmed by the lime & overpowering( prob. artificially) sweetness, like sucrolose maybe,either way not good for the beer; yeah, a little too much sugar on the palate; gave it a 2.5 'cuz it's drinkable up to a little over half way & i'm done...

animal69, Oct 16, 2007
1.93/5  rDev -1%

Pours a pale yellow. No head or lacing involved. Smelled like lime and the sweetness that is to follow. Taste is a sweet lime flavoring and salty, like advertised. Absolutely no hops, no malt. It had the carbonation of a not quite fresh soda. Bubbly in the mouth. Not very drinkable and nothing like a beer.

gotweid, Oct 14, 2007
2.68/5  rDev +37.4%

Appearance:
No head or retention. Looks like a watered down mountain dew.

Nose:
Lime, chemically, slight wheat.

Taste:
Nice, light mouthfeel, sweet lime, melon, tiny bit of malt.

Notes:
If you MUST have a macro summer beer, this would be it. i was not impressed, but this is a better version of Zema.

travolta, Oct 13, 2007

A- Funky brownish color. Didnt expect that when I poured it from the bright green bottle into my pilsner glass.

S- Limelike smell. Kind of bitter at best. Smells like it tastes.

T- Off taste, like nothing ever. Doesnt taste like a fruit beer, but doesnt taste like a lager either. Taste is different, and that is what this one has going for it.

M- Very funny mouth. Watery and artifical to me.

D- Out by the pool on a hot day, would be great. Otherwise, I would not be able to stand it. Made my stomach feel funny too after a few of them. Not like a beer that I am accustomed to.

MMAJYK, Oct 09, 2007
1.6/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a medium light off gold color, very clear as a light beer is. No head retention at all, no lacing either. Has a light hint of lime aroma, very low carbonation, bubbles are present, but has a flat taste to it. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Bland in the flavor department, slight citric flavor, with a hint of a sour tang, possibly the "salt" but not sure. The after taste is more that of a weak margarita than of any kind of beer. This was not a pleasant session with this beer.

sauron681, Oct 09, 2007
2.23/5  rDev +14.4%

I'm pretty sure the only reason I bought this is because of the novelty of drinking something that shouldn't be drank. The lime and salt made me think I was drinking a nasty margarita or a diluted tequila shot. I really can't say that it was bad, but it certainly isn't something I would drink frequently or even keep on hand for a friend who liked it. It nearly gave me a stomach ache because of it's outlandish flavor and bi-polar identity. one is enough, thanks.

wesleyhighley, Oct 09, 2007
2.5/5  rDev +28.2%

Pours your standard macro straw color with little head. Has a funky fake lime smell. That funky fake lime carries on over to the taste with some salt. The carbonation is pretty high felling. On a beach or Jimmy Buffet concert is probably the only time that I would ever have this again.

armock, Oct 07, 2007
1.8/5  rDev -7.7%

weak showing here even from miller. i find it funny miller did a comercial, their round table promotions, with burt reynolds, jimm johnston ect. and they agree not to fruit the beer, ie corona, yet they make a miller lime flavored to compete with crona, and well it's about equally bad so i guess in that respect it suceedes

twi1609372, Oct 06, 2007
1.35/5  rDev -30.8%

reviewed from notes i took a few months ago when my bar first got this beer. i wasn't even gonna dignify its existence with a review but more and more people are ordering this stuff so i feel its my duty or something.

A- pale golden 'light beer' yellow with almost no head. a thin ring forms around the pilsner glass with a few drips of lace but nothing major. bubbles rise and there is a slight greenish tone to the beer when held to light.

S- corn grains, cooked vegetables, and stale lime candy from the 60's like something i found in my grandma's attic.

T- unnatural from the start, grassy artificial lime, and a weird salt feeling that i do not like at all.

MF- high carbonation, salt creates a funny mouthfeel even though its probably not even real salt it's 'salt flavoring'.

D- no.

this is pretty much extra light miller lite with fake lime and salt flavors. i've never heard of chelada before but if it really does exist, this is probably a disgrace to its style. it's not even real beer, it's just another corny malt beverage for people who don't like beer, but who think drinking some new and trendy 'chelada' will make them look cool. seriously how many people have this in their fridge at home? nah it's a beer to order when you go out. when you're sick of corona with lime (which is 1,000 times better). the flavor additives are the worst. other brewers have flavored beers of course like thirsty dog raspberry or sea dog blueberry but at least they are constructed with a decent beer behind the fruit flavor. sorry to slam ya, miller, cuz i grew up on high life, but keep it real. you're breaking a very big man-law here. VERY big.

hustlesworth, Oct 04, 2007
2.08/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Added one bottle to a mixed six pack on a whim. Wish that I had not.

Appearance: Poured into a pilsener glass a pale, light yellow, perfectly clear. I half expected this to be somewhat green, thankfully it is not, Thin head, left quickly, no lacing.

Smell: A little sweet and limey, fake lime, like lime juice was squeezed into a Miller Lite. Nothing else really.

Taste: It's a bit sour, a little tart. Salty with a limey tang to it. The advertising does not lie, beer with salt and lime, yuck.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with the required high carbonation, typical light macro lager.

Drinkability: For me I would not want to have this again. I got one just to try, for the experience. This is a novelty "beer", more likely to have an audience with female drinkers. Gone in a year, IMO. If you want a salty, limey drink, get a margarita.

BigRedN, Oct 01, 2007
1.4/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured this from a 12 oz green bottle.

Looks nice enough. A nice golden color with a thin, creamy head that lasts a while. Moderately heavy lacing. Surprising.

You can smell the citrus, but it's not very potent or appealing.

Not impressed with the taste in the slightest. The lime is not satisfying. As a whole it tastes empty. The aftertaste is very salty, which makes me reluctant to go back for another sip.

Very thin. The aftertaste fortunately doesn't last very long.

The first time I had this, I had a headache. I took aspirin, which helped me twofold: 1. My headache went away. 2. I had a good excuse to not finish this without being rude to the host.

atrus138, Sep 29, 2007
1.45/5  rDev -25.6%

What is a Chelada? "A chelada is said to be a cerveza that has been poured into a glass with salted rim containing lime juice and ice. Very refreshing on a hot day."

I tried this beer out one day while on a bike ride over the summer (the week it came out.) Hey, at least I got a free lime press for buying a case for about ten dollars.

Serving was from a green 12 oz. bottle. Served ice cold.

Appearance: Crystal clear, yellowish and thin with a fragile head that evaporates in moments -- no matter how skilled the pour is. Very frothy and active looking. Looks like watered down apple juice.

Smell: Citrus, lime, salts ascorbic and aspartaney lime. No trace of malt. Dare I admit? I smelled a little skunk…

Taste: Thin and a little sour -- presumably from the artificial lime flavoring. The salt aftertaste was not pleasant. It felt a little like gargling with salt water to cure a sore throat.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, cold and watery.

Overall: Unpleasant, even served too cold.

jerrymiller, Sep 28, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

OK the Miller Rep brought this into our store trying to sell it in. We tried it and..Miller Chill? More like Miller Swill. The lime taste just didn't taste right at all. I felt like I was drinking a Smirnoff or something similar. They made a bad beer worse. With Corona adding a lime does actually make it taste a bit better but this was not a good thing. The mouthfeel was thin and highly carbonated. Drinkability is none.

Beerbuddha, Sep 25, 2007
1.88/5  rDev -3.6%

Back in the day, Miller was always my favorite of the BMC’s. That, along with the fact that I enjoyed a Tecate with lime, made me think this might be halfway decent. WRONG!!

I don’t know what the flavor was in this, but it wasn’t lime, unless it was lime flavored soap. Not only did it not enhance the flavor, it basically ruined the entire beer.

Nose, flavor and palate were all this fruity-soapy mix, that never got better. I had to pour the bottle dwon the drain at mid-glass.

Probably one of the ten worst beers I’ve ever had.

kimcgolf, Sep 24, 2007
2.58/5  rDev +32.3%

Pours a typical macro light, fairly crisp golden colour with a frothy head that dissolves quite rapidly.

The aroma is primarily of lime and not much else. Not bad but not very beer like. Weird, but expected I guess given what this is.

Flavour is basically more of the same. It really is like drinking a Miller Lite with a good dose of lime added to the mix, although the lime flavour does not always taste natural and is somewhat syrupy at times. Salt notes are barely present and can't even be noticed most of the time. Mouthfeel is light bodied and refreshing.

This one was pretty bad, but it wasn't nearly as awful as expected. If they could get a more natural lime flavour into the mix and maybe get some actual malt or hop flavour to compliment the abundance of lime, this one could be on the path to something at least decent/average but as it stands now it's just not that good.

SixpointJMH, Sep 24, 2007
1.95/5  rDev 0%

12oz green bottle. Pours into my glass an extremely light yellow color with a fizzy white head that sticks around due to lots of active carbonation. If this was much lighter it would be clear. Not looking good so far. Aromas of light cereal grains along with a somewhat artificial lime. Somewhat of a weird sweetness as well. Not much else going on though, except for some DMS.

First sip brings a light cooked grain malt upfront along with a mellow lime twang that doesn't pass as being real lime juice, but does bring in a sweet aspect. The salt is noticeable on the way down along with some more DMS flavor. Bleh, this brew doesn't do anything for me. The flavors seem artificial and just don't work.

Mouthfeel is extremely light and arid with lots of carbonation. Carbonated water is not a bad comparison at all. I can see this being refreshing, but I can think of many many more tasty beers that are equally refreshing. I bought this single because I couldn't help but try it, but for me there's not many redeeming qualities to Miller Chill. No thanks, I think it's best to avoid this one.

orbitalr0x, Sep 20, 2007
2.33/5  rDev +19.5%

Chelada-style beer. Well according to that, it would be any lager served over ice with lime juice. More on this later...

Pours a pale yellow in color with a white head that retreated rather quickly. Nothing really stands out in the aroma... just a hint of lime. Thin mouthfeel. The taste has a rather bland forefront with a salty lime-flavored finish.

After a few sips I realized this beer was going nowhere, so I squeezed a few slices of lime into it and fill the pint glass with ice. Now we're talking. The additional lime juice added much more character to it. Being on ice also chilled the beer way down and kept it very drinkable. The only downside was that as the ice melted an already thin beer became even more watery. Despite that, I had most of the glass consumed by then so it wasn't that big a deal.

IMO in you have to adulterate a beer like I did to enjoy it than something is wrong. That being said, I enjoyed it much more with the additional lime and on the rocks. Truer to its origin perhaps?

Winter, Sep 19, 2007
Miller Chill from Miller Brewing Co.