Miller Chill - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller ChillMiller Chill

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

A Chelada-style light lager beeer with a hint of lime and salt added.

(Beer added by: Frozensoul327 on 03-07-2007)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Chill Alström Bros
baxterbrew

Tennessee

I am prefacing this with the fact that this is not a wonderful, complex beer. BUT, it is a good beer for the masses. I had one at a picnic this evening and succumbed to my curiosity. The color is typical macro lager, the smell is sweet and limey. The taste...well it kind of tastes like a lime Zima. It's very light and limey and very carbonated. I thought that it tasted almost nearly unlike beer BUT I don't really think lambics taste much like beer either. So it is what it is. It ain't purty and it ain't complex and it ain't smart, but it's the kind of cute girl at the bar that's fun to hang out with.

08-18-2007 03:11:59 | More by baxterbrew
ByTor2112

2.98/5  rDev +52.8%

Well I have not heard anyone say this is nasty so I am game and I fear no beer!
Aroma is rather benign, not heavy on lime, been many years since Tequiza and it is what I was expecting.
Taste is light and the lime flavor is more subtle than expected. Been drinking Margaritas so this is mixing well!
Finishes clean and it is like MGD with a good flavoring of Lime.
Not bad, not bad at all, quite quaffable.

08-18-2007 02:16:30 | More by ByTor2112
williamherbert

2.53/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I finally broke down to try this one out of morbid curiosity. I expected some kind of disaster of the taste buds, but it seriously isn't that bad considering style and origins. Oh don't get me wrong, I don't love it, but it's not the monstrosity I anticipated.

The color isn't that impressive, though not awful. It's completely transparent, a straw yellow color. It does have a surprising amount of head, and even more surprising light lacing.

The aroma is typical BMC lager scent, with just a tiny hint of the obligatory salt and lime that the label tells you will be there. It's still pretty weak by beer standards.

The flavor is actually quite limey, and that is fine considering it covers up the lame BMC pale lager flavor that I feared the most. I really must say that the extras are a welcome change to the regular mediocre macro fare. Surprisingly decent.

The feel is nothing, it's thin and watery, and I think they wanted it that way. Still, no points here. I must say, overall it's not a horrible summery drink. It's light enough and just fruity enough to be thirst-quenching during the summer. They call it "Corona with the lime already included" but I'd have to say this is a step above. Not great, but certainly not awful.

08-17-2007 02:33:03 | More by williamherbert
DrinkinBuddy

1.35/5  rDev -30.8%

Pours a light golden color with a puny little white head with no body. The smell is probably the worst thing about this. It smelt like a wet mop.(seriously, you know how an old mop or dish rag smells like? that's it!) Taste is god awful too carbonated, and the lime is really weak tasting. About as bad as a corona with lime, or at least comparable. Not much for mouth feel, besides the bubbly annoyance of carbonation. I won't mention drinkability because it's not worth it. Not impressed at all.

08-15-2007 16:35:46 | More by DrinkinBuddy
gauchebag

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Friend of mine brought over a sixer and left three of them so I thought I'd try one.

Nothing going on in the appearance world, looks like Miller Lite, pretty clear. Little to no head that hardly exists even briefly. Nothing going on in the smell department at all. Smells sweet and maybe slightly limey.

Taste? lol. Calling this a beer is certainly a stretch. Whatever little lime odor there was is not evident in the taste of the beer. Instead it is just generically fruity, as if you had poured a little fountain fruit punch into a beer. There is a strange bitterness that is apparent only at the sides of the mouth/tongue. Not much of an aftertaste at all.

It feels in the mouth much like, say, Pellegrino would except slightly more carbonated. I've seen the word "thin" thrown around a lot in these reviews and that's exactly the word for it.

It's actually pretty drinkable all things considered. It's not how I want my beer to taste at all but if you were blind-tasting it among sodas and fruity drinks, you'd probably think it was pretty good. I won't ever be buying this beer but might go for one in the future at say a barbecue if all that's offered is Corona and this.

08-12-2007 16:21:19 | More by gauchebag
brewdlyhooked13

2.45/5  rDev +25.6%

Appearance - pale straw, vibrant white head of over a finger which falls down in about 45 seconds. Hangs onto a thin cover a bit longer. A strand of skinny lace here and there.

Aroma - grain and light sweet lime. A little candyish/alcopoppish but it's lower level makes it okay. Goes downhill with warmth, though, and starts going vegetal.

Taste - diluted grain and an obvious sweet lime flavor. It really reminds me of Froot Loops cereal, frankly. The fruit flavor has both sweet and tart elements. Ends with the fruit still dominating and nary, I say *nary* an expression of hops. A summery fruity beer with limited appeal.

Mouthfeel - thin and rather gassy, you'll burp your way through this, but for the style it's a fit.

Drinkability - trendy as I'm seeing many fruit-enhanced beers this spring/summer. It's no less refreshing than a shandy, it may even prevent scurvy! There's a marketing angle they let get away. Much too pricy at a buck a bottle.

08-08-2007 20:51:02 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Taipans

Missouri

1.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Before I knew what real beer was I use to throw back a few corona's with lime from time to time. I expected this to be no better or worse then corona with lime. I was very scared of this beer from the beginning, it just seemed fake, atleast the corona had a real lime shoved into it.
I was right, dead on, this tastes like miller light with some lime flavoring added to it. Not real lime, just some lab created chemical.

A- Light yellow, a little head retention
S- Fake lime, almost soapy
T- Lime from start to finish, with a little miller light thrown in, very chemical like flavor
M- Light and watery as expected
D- I guess since its easy and low on ABV it could be a quencher in the summer, but I wont ever try this again.

Stay away!

08-06-2007 17:41:07 | More by Taipans
Freshie

1.27/5  rDev -34.9%

Appearance not too bad. Light golden color with one finger head.

Smell was just horrid. I honestly thought of cat urine. I know that's rough, but that's what I smelt.

Taste was not much better. Had a very watery sweet flavor indicative of flat lemon-lime soda. A very faint hop bite.

Not many beer attributes. I agree with assessment "beer for people who don't like beer".

08-04-2007 22:10:25 | More by Freshie
Jason

1.63/5  rDev -16.4%

A quick decanting shows the obvious clarity of a light beer and the head of one as well. Not much head retention at all but it was not expected. Odd lime aroma, very similar to the natural agents added to soda. There is even a salty note in the nose. First sip shows an extremely thin body with a forced refreshing carbonation. The flavor is the same as the aroma, soda-like lime flavor. Very little malt character at all, hops are a no show and there is a mild salty tone middle to end. Bone dry with a watery lime flavor in the finish.

Chalk this up at a border-line malternative, a beer for people that don't like beer. It actually tastes like a really bad diet soda. Even if this does stick around for more than several years and not deemed a fad anymore it will simply live on as a sub-par product for the ignorant uneducated consumer. Hell, with the amount of soda that is sold in the US this one will probably be here for a long long time but this will be the last visit here as this is a big fat thumbs down.

08-03-2007 20:05:02 | More by Jason
beerphilosopher

2.25/5  rDev +15.4%

The substance poured a very, very pale blonde color (as I described it to a friend, it appears like a pint glass of water that someone soaked a corn chip in for a few minutes) and displayed a surprisingly thin, soapy head of bright white. The nose (no, that term is too high-brow for this beer) … the smell was of pale rice grain and corn with an entire package of Spree candy dumped in. Okay, upon the initial tasting, this “beer” comes across less like a beer and more like a malt liquor product like Zima, really. After a couple more attempts, it dawns on me … this is a simply a Miller Lite with Hawaiian Punch added. I detect no lime, although there is a cheap candy-like fruit thing going on, and definitely no salt. For this, I’m actually thankful. The mouthfeel is extremely thin, like carbonated water, and the finish was clean and “spritzy” – more of a citrus soda in this regard than anything else I can think of at the moment. Over all, maybe the Miller folks have nailed what they were trying to create - a Chelada - which is basically a way to make a Mexican beer taste better, if that is possible. I know full well I’m not the demographic they’re trying to reach with this one, but man … I don’t even think I could do this for an occasional lawnmower beer. Definitely not my cup of tea (I’d have certainly preferred a cup of tea!) but if you’re into this sort of thing, knock yourself out.

08-02-2007 01:48:24 | More by beerphilosopher
gusdabrew

2.2/5  rDev +12.8%

Low and behold, the marketing got to me. The bottle looks great wet and cold. I grabbed a 12 pack at the local Kroger along with a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Pale ale. They were 12.99 each. All I can say is screw you Miller. I compared my stand by pale ale with Miller Chill and it became evident that Miller makes a defective product. Nothing of quality is evident. No lime, hops, no malt, no anything. I want my money back. Anyone considering Miller Swill (ooops) Chill should try Sierra Nevada Pale ale instead for real beer enjoyment.

07-31-2007 17:41:53 | More by gusdabrew
SMark

2.25/5  rDev +15.4%

Beer was poured from a 12 ounce bottle at 43º. It displayed a clear, light color with very large bubbles and a nice head of foam which quickly dissipated. Bubbles were non existent after a few minutes also.

Citrus, lime was especially evident. No noticeable malt or hop aromas were detected.

Lime was present with the taste and seemed to ask for some salty potato chips, tostados, or tortilla chips.

No lingering affects as this is a beer to be consumed on a hot summer day after working up a sweat and a thirst. Do not waste your time by mulling over this effort too long.

Overall this beer is not a bad attempt by a major brewer. There are some interesting qualities but it should not be confused with a beer that is meant to inspire invigorating conversation. It is a beer to quench thirst.

07-31-2007 01:13:25 | More by SMark
mymrnngjckt

1.35/5  rDev -30.8%

I tried a bottle of this recently and I thought I should review it. Poured into a plactic cup. The color was light and almost transparent. It lacked smell. Seriously, it had no smell. The beer tasted like lemon lime soda. It had no beer taste at all. I would consider this more a malt beverage than a beer. The mouthfeel was full of carbonation. Drinkability? I don't know how to answer that. Some people might like it. Others might not.

07-30-2007 14:34:13 | More by mymrnngjckt
Brent

1.25/5  rDev -35.9%

I'll give a new macro a try, just out of curiosity, but normally I don't bother with a rating. I'm making an exception here, because I want to do my part to see that this monstrosity gets the low rating it deserves. Poured a pale straw typical of a light beer. Aroma was an odd, sweet soda-pop. Flavor was dominated by a sweet, Kool-Aid lemon-lime flavor, with a strange, metallic aftertaste that I suppose was intended to be the salt flavor, but was more like putting a quarter in your mouth. If there was any beer flavor in this beverage, I couldn't find it. Stock this next to the Zima.

07-30-2007 14:23:10 | More by Brent
udubdawg

Kansas

1.33/5  rDev -31.8%

on the rare occasion that I drink Corona, I squeeze a shitload of lime in there, although I suppose that is mostly to block the smell...so I figured what the heck, I'll try it.

...I better grab something good, because right now my palate is whimpering like a 3 year old - "was I bad???"

OK, this is awful. The lime is even artificial-tasting, chemical-y and nasty. And how much salt is in here?!? Is this swill what they put on the chips at Chipotle? Nah, can't be - I kinda like those.

Can't even really get beer in there. Reminds me of some drunken bet during college - mix some nasty stuff together and tell some sot you'll give him a six-pack if he sucks it down without throwing up.

sorry for the crappy review, but this is a crappy excuse for beer. I forced half the bottle down and decided that was enough for a review. Aroma? - it smells like lime in the sense that a Sprite smells like lime. Drinkability? - off the (bottom of the) charts! Taste? - what, weren't you reading earlier?

Never again.

07-29-2007 22:49:58 | More by udubdawg
Blupoet03

1.9/5  rDev -2.6%

This beer tasted like a Miller Lite with some lime flavoring added, so, not very good. Appearance was to be expected, and it smelled almost completely of lime. Mouthfeel was just fizzy, and a little prickly from the limes.

For drinkability, I cannot see following this beer with another one.

To be fair, I've never liked to add a lime to Corona, so maybe some personal taste bias is coming in here. However, it is a mass-produced macro with very little personality no matter how you look at it. It unfortunately lacks anything to distinguish itself.

07-29-2007 22:16:43 | More by Blupoet03
Halcyondays

2.9/5  rDev +48.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. green, somewhat novelty looking bottle,

A: Very clear yellow, with a good head, looks like a standard macro lager.

S: Not really much of anything, air smell, with a hint of lime.

T: Basically just the lime flavoring, not really beer-like, but I found it to be somewhat tasty.

M: Thin, watery, not really much to talk about, but not horrible either.

D: Seems like an alcoholic version of a limeade, interesting and easy to drink, it was quite refreshing, but weird. It was certainly better than Miller's regular products.

07-29-2007 06:40:54 | More by Halcyondays
riversider76

3.25/5  rDev +66.7%

Pours a pale yellow. Fluffy white head, with some retention,and a bit of lacing. Aroma is weak lime. Body is light and carbionated. Taste is a light ale flavored with lime,and citrus. Crisp, and refreshing, very drinkable on a hot day! I'd have it again.

07-28-2007 22:07:41 | More by riversider76
billybob

2.73/5  rDev +40%

pours a clear pale yellow with a two finger frothy white head that fades quickly to to just cover the beer and minimal lacing. the smell of lime was weak and candy like. taste is same, weak flavor, grainy, very dry, mouthfeel light, crisp, lots of carbonation. the citrus tartness is not there i would rather add fresh lime to my own beer of choice. don't think i would buy this beer again.

07-28-2007 20:51:50 | More by billybob
merlin48

1.65/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a clear pale yellow with a white head that is initially impressive but completely vanishes without lacing in about a minute. Aroma of lime soda atop rice husks. Faint fizzy light beer taste dominated by artificial lime soda notes. Fortunately, there is not enough taste for it to be truly horrid. Strong selzer water feel makes for about as much drinkability as most common light lagers but the lime spike doesn't justify the premium price.

07-28-2007 16:16:56 | More by merlin48
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.08/5  rDev +6.7%

poured into a mug from a 12oz clear greenish tinted bottle with a twist-off cap.

Clear,yellow with a greenish hue. Tall creamy, slightly sudsy, white head with a bit of retention. Very active carbination and lasting,lively looking beer,leaves some sticky lace coating down the glass.

Clean aroma with subtle lime not as much lime as I would has suspected,at least it's not overdone. Also has a slight grainy aroma. Not much aroma,but nothing offensive.

Clean tasting, lime tastes not overbearing,tastes like a light lime soda. No salt tastes as stated on the label,nothing i could really detect. A dry,light grainy aftertaste. Overall the beer was just too sweet for me.

Very light,watery with a fizzy tang. Drinkable like a glass of water or soda. Not drinkable as far as beer goes. Ordered this at the Mexician restaraunt thougt it might go with the food there, was wrong, wish i ordered a Bohemia instead. Had to order a Bohemia to get the taste of the Chill out of my mouth. Did nothing with the food didn't even help to wash it down. Just another gimmick beer even the wife said it tasted nasty. Not a beer i would drink again just wanted to see what all the hype was about. As usual a big dissapointment. Drink this beer at you own risk.

07-28-2007 16:12:12 | More by jcdiflorio
jettjon

2.1/5  rDev +7.7%

From a 12 oz bottle with no discernable freshness date. No ABV, but it’s clear that this beer contains 110 calories…. Into a cold pint glass, a hard pour yields only a wispy white “spit” head, more of a thin cap and thick ring than anything. Very pale yellowish color with no carbonation visible. Nose of sweet, sugary—something? Not really malt, more like weak lime Kool-Aid or melted lime Jell-O. Tastes like a Zima with a splash of lime juice. No beer like traits whatsoever. Calling this beer is like calling a golf cart a car. Sure, it has four wheels…. Moving on. Mouth is thin and watery with an explosion of hyperactive carbonation that quickly races away, leaving a clean palate declaring “WTF?” A crisp rush that is neither thirst-quenching nor memorable. Drinkability is ho-hum; it’s an unassuming “chick beer” to be sure, but otherwise completely un-beer-like. May as well be drinking watery carbonated Kool-Aid with a splash of vodka.

Overall: This one is supposed to be like a Corona with a twist of lime? Laughable. A complete waste, OK as far as “malt beverages” like Zima or Smirnoff Ice go, but an utter failure as a beer. Avoid.

07-26-2007 23:09:23 | More by jettjon
BEERchitect

2.08/5  rDev +6.7%

So much talk about this beer, I had to see for myself what to make of it. I don't usually dislike American macro-beers the way many BA's do, but this one proves to be a challenge to the taste. Aromas start off with a very standard Miller-ish aroma, but quickly release moderate citrus notes and cereal-grain aroma swirled around light maltiness. looks very pale golden, with brilliant clarity, fizzy head retention, and brilliant clarify. Tastes do the same thing as aromas--start off very Miller-ish, leaving a little longer lag into a sweet Sprite / 7up taste with even sweeter adjuncts and cereal grains. The sweetness seems to be more overpowering than even the lime flavor additions or salt additions. In fact, the salt character would go largely unnoticed if not for the lable. The texture really suffers with a water, sugar-water feel, prickly carbonation and flat texture. Finishes with an emphasis on the sweet grains and fading lime flavor. I would like to say that this experiment was welcomed and an introductory to a little-known style, however I don't feel that this beer represents the style or beer community best. I don't see this one staying on the shelves long.

07-25-2007 22:24:46 | More by BEERchitect
MTNboy

Germany

1.5/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance- A transparent yellow with a tiny head and a little lace.

Smell- A very overwhelming fake lime odor as soon as the bottle opened.

Taste- I know I should not attack a beer but this one was gross. Nauseating lime taste very much over flavored. It was kind of like green gelatin that never set and someone threw some beer in it. An obvious adjunct corn like aftertaste followed.

Mouthfeel- A little syrupy maybe. I can not but my finger on it.

Drinkability- I am drinking this beer never again.

07-24-2007 01:36:41 | More by MTNboy
afinepilsner

Iowa

2.38/5  rDev +22.1%

12oz green bottle

Miller Chill was a pale yellow color with good clarity. It had a white head that had decent retention and managed to leave a little lacing behind. The aroma was lime and some grain. The taste was mostly lime with a dry somewhat salty finish. It was light bodied and fairly high carbonation. Drinkability was below average. It is something interesting to try, but one of these was enough for me.

07-22-2007 23:53:52 | More by afinepilsner
Miller Chill from Miller Brewing Co.