Miller Chill - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller ChillMiller Chill

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

A Chelada-style light lager beeer with a hint of lime and salt added.

(Beer added by: Frozensoul327 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Chill Alström Bros
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Clear light golden color with a fizzy head that disappears quickly. The aroma is pretty much lime with just the barest hint of light malt, but pleasant all the same. The taste is light lime, just a bit of bready malt, a touch of salt and maybe just a touch of hops in the finish. Altogether, not really much like beer, but not sweet either, the touch of salt is interesting and not overdone to give a bit of a margarita flavor. It is not a margarita, however - much lighter and a bit watered down. It is not corona and lime either regardless of the ads, but altogether it could be very refreshing on a hot summer day and it would be easy to get several of these down ice cold.

whynot44, Jul 19, 2007
3.15/5  rDev +61.5%

Sampled on 7-18-07

Pours a crystal clear pale yellow, super clean, no head, no lacing.

Smell is light and limey, adjuncty beer underneath.

Taste is, not that bad. Lime at first, followed by a decent breadiness. You can taste the salt a little on the way out, but it gives this beer a balanced, less-sweet character.

Mouthfeel is good, lighter on the carbonation than you might expect.

Drinkability is very good, this is the definition of refreshing.

Overall, a very interesting beer, head-and-shoulders better than Miller Lite, on which I'm assuming it's based. Make it cheaper, put it in a can, and you'd have a winner.

BMoney575, Jul 18, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +88.7%

I was quite hesistant when I tried this, because it is a Miller product and was warned that it wasn't great. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I drank out of the bottle because all the cups were used, so I couldn't get a good grasp on the appearance. Not a very noticable smell either, sort of lime, but not strong. The taste was very refreshing on a warm summer afternoon though. It quenched my thirst, but it didn't taste quite like beer. It sort of is a non-sweet, not-too-salty, limey but not quite, margarita flavored water. Went down smooth and I was actually impressed.

jmp491, Jul 18, 2007
1.45/5  rDev -25.6%

Bought only one in a mixer.

A - Poured out a straw yellow color with a small, short-lived, white head. Highly carbonated and left no lace.

S - It smelled of lime and grain adjuncts.

T - It tasted of lime and salt, kind of like a margarita but slightly beer-like.

M - It was a little thin and watery. A very light bodied beer.

D - It really tasted like a Corona with a couple limes in it. Too much lime though.

zeff80, Jul 18, 2007
2.65/5  rDev +35.9%

Not sure why I ordered this tonight, probably because I had been bombarded like everyone else with the adds for it and had to at least give it a try. I figured it to be in the same vane as the Tequiza of the world, and I ended up being not that far off, however it does get points for the bottle which did look pretty cool, anyway...

A - Pale golden yellow, with a big fizzy white head that dropped down to nothing. Lots of carbonation, and no lace.

S - Overwhelmed by the smell of lime in this one. It almost smelled like a weak margarita which is where I think they were trying to go with this. No real detectable smell of the beer..

T - Wow, it is totally a margarita rip off. Lots of lime and salt like flavors. Some small hint of a grainy macro lager that had an entire lime squeezed into it, with maybe a touch of some kind of hybrid non alcoholic taquilla. Not impressed.'

M - Very crisp, no really linger ing feel. Clean with alot of carbonation.

Overall this was a decent novelty beer and went well with the chips at the bar but I would not bring home a six pack of this, nor buy another bottle anytime soon. give it a try if its around just for giggles.

mikesgroove, Jul 17, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +56.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a 12 ounce green bottle w/no freshness date into a pilser glass.

Surprisingly, the beer has a good amount of head and lacing on the glass. A little thin looking in the body, but pretty damn good keeping the style in mind as far as appearence goes.

There is one way to describe this brew....Fresca tasting. I was the designated driver last night at a party, and was drinking Fresca, and I swear, this brew almost doesn't taste like beer at all and tastes much more like a Fresca than it does a beer. Not a bad thing; hell, I like the taste of Fresca! The sip starts off w/the citrus Fresca flavors and then a fairly nice little carbonation like hop bite (surprise surprise) cleans things up at the end.
Mouthfeel is actually pretty good for the style of beer as well.

I must admit, I normally not a Miller drinker, but as a true BA, I feel it's important to forget the brewer and evaluate the beer for what it is. This is truly a non-beer drinkers brew. The verdict here is that this brew is noting bad, and if you want something that tastes more like a refreshing drink like Fresca, this is your brew. I prefer a brew that tastes more like "beer", but that's just me.

AustinBeerLvr, Jul 15, 2007
2.83/5  rDev +45.1%

Reveiwed straight outta the green bottle. The beer looks like water. If there was water in the bottle it would look exactly the same with the exception of a very light head. The smell is like most other light beers with just a hint of citrus. The taste is sorta like hard lemonade with a pinch of salt. The mouthfeel though is light and refreshing. A very easy drinking brew. A sixer of these should be pretty easy to put away. Drinkability is high.

I bought these expecting the worse but I can actually say this is drinkable if you look at it for what it is. On hot summer days this really hits the spot.

Enola, Jul 15, 2007
1.65/5  rDev -15.4%

APPEARANCE
Clear with very little head retention. Looks carbonated.

SMELL
The odor is extremely bad. It has a salty smell with a lemon twist. I'm sorry to have to describe it this way but it is smells almost like an unkept restroom.

TASTE
Tastes as bad as it smells. You could taste the lemon, so I gave it some points, but the execution was poor.

MOUTHFEEL
Very watery. Too low in carbonation. Quite flat after sitting for just a minute.

DRINKABILITY
I'm very disappointed in this beer. I generally enjoy Miller products, but this is just bad. A very poor compitetor for Mexican beer. Someone should get fired for this mistake.

GeneralZod, Jul 15, 2007

I'm going to review this "beer" backwards. Drinkability is actually average. There's no adjunct flavor, no skunk, no disgusting weirdness. Far from the flavor atrocity that B^e is. However, it doesn't really taste like beer...at all.

Watery, slightly salty lime soda pop is the flavor profile. Zero malt, zero hops, zero off flavors. Is it refreshing? Yes, I will grudgingly admit that it is. Is it beer? Perhaps in name only... I'd classify this as a "malternative" or "alco-pop" at best.

Very light gold color, a fast-fading fizzy white head, aroma of limes.

I'd drink these on a hot day if they were free and cold. But I refuse to call them beer, cerveza, or whatever other word one may use for the product of malt, hops, yeast, and water.

shirfan, Jul 14, 2007
2.03/5  rDev +4.1%

This stuff is getting some attention here on BA (a lot of media push), it's summertime, it's hot, so what the hell - I picked it up to see what Miller is trying to pull. To their credit, they at LEAST put this product in a green bottle so it won't skunk out like some of their other product. Other than that - this is just like the crappy beer they normally produce with some lime juice added. And even the juice isn't really good. All these big guys are trying to cash in now on the public's move away from their mediocre product and they appear to think that all they have to do is add some spice or fruit, mix the crap up, slap some kind of shiny label on it and somebody will buy it. Some might, but I won't. And, oh yeah, this stuff is seriously over-priced.

spaceranger, Jul 14, 2007
2.15/5  rDev +10.3%

Straight up pour gives a five finger white head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Crystal clear pale amber color. Light-medium carbonation and light bodied. Lime nose. Flavor is a slightly tart lime drink, the lime hides any malt or hops, clean finish. Good lawnmower beer but don't drink this expecting anything like a beer. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capital Convenience Concord, NH.

jdhilt, Jul 13, 2007
2.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Purchased as a single for US$1.49 at Liquor Shed in Casper.

This pours from 12oz bottle a pale gold with a small head of foam. That soon shrinks to just a few islands in the middle of my glass.

The smell reminds me of a wine cooler. Fruity, lemon lime.

The taste has a lot of lemon and lime flavour to it until about midway through and through the finish where it's quite watery.
I'm glad I only bought the 1 bottle. ;^)

'nuff said from me.

Bitterbill, Jul 11, 2007
3.08/5  rDev +57.9%

This beer certainly lives up to the chelada name - sans hot sauce.

While I wasn't surprised at the drinkability, as that is Miller's supreme goal, I was surprised at how little this beer tasted of any kind of - beer. I found it more reminiscent of a mikes hard limeade.

The beer is fizzy with no head, light and tastes of strong lime with a soured aftertaste which is supposed to give the "salt" taste.

Overall, I commend Miller for going outside the box on this one, and it does live up to the hype - however fizzy and without the polarizing hot sauce. I would choose this over any corona or other such.

Andbrew, Jul 10, 2007
3.03/5  rDev +55.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

There's really not much to mention here. For a beer that's being marketed as a "super premium," I found it quite unremarkable. It's pale, has a short-lived head and leaves minimal lacing. Taste is lime on top of lime, as I'm guessing a chelada should be (the recipe calls for the juice of 1 to 2 whole limes, then Mexican beer), and while it is rather refreshing, I was expecting something more for $11.99 (12 pack). At that price you can buy as 12-pack of Caguama, Corona or Sol and 4 limes. Unremarkable, but not bad, and it's definitely overpriced (by about $4; don't kid yourselves Miller, this isn't worth it, and it's definitely no import).

Probably the best way to sum this beer/chelada up is the response of a friend of mine. He tasted it, swished it around in his mouth and simply said, "It's kind of like Sprite." 'Nuff said.

Karyyk, Jul 08, 2007
1.95/5  rDev 0%

Okay, as a caveat before we begin: I did not drop money on this. My uncle brought over a twelver for the 4th of July barbecue and this is one of the many leftovers.

Light pee color with no head or signs of life at all. Sugary lime and artificial flavors in the nose, although it's not offensive.

Salt and lime juice are the main players in this beer themed drink. It reminds me more of one of the beer imposters like those Mike's or Smirnoff things you see at the supermarket. No hops or barley flavors to mention. Texture is weak and watery and makes me slightly queasy.

This is what you think it is, and it's pretty bad even for that. I hope I'm strong enough to pour out what's left in the fridge.

daliandragon, Jul 07, 2007
1.2/5  rDev -38.5%

Pretty damned nasty, especially compared to the micheladas I used to drink when I lived on the border. A michelada is essentially a red beer with less tomato juice, some lime juice, and some spices. They're a wonderful local specialty.

This, however, is vile. Take a pretty nasty beer, add some salt and old Roses lime juice, add some marketing, and you have Chill. It's thin and watery, the smell is off-putting, and the taste is worse than Tequiza. I suspect it's marketed for cheesy Texas lake/ country dance warehouse chicks and their tattooed boyfriends who can't afford Corona (another nasty beer).

wondertrev, Jul 07, 2007
3.03/5  rDev +55.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Big bubbles forming a very minimally dense head. Prickly looking foam. Very light color. Much like miller light. The smell is that of miller light with a decent amount of bitter lime zest. The taste, again, much like miller light but with a tangy-sweet citrus (lime) burst. It doesn't taste horribly artificial, but it is a big part of the flavor. I found this quite quenching (to my surprise) after a long week and a humid and hot friday evening. Will I buy it again? no. Will I finish the 6'er without any quams? probably.

Rudgers73, Jul 06, 2007
2.03/5  rDev +4.1%

I have to stock this now, because my neighbor who raids my beer fridge likes it and I'd rather him not drink all my good stuff. If you're into fads, and think you look cool with the green bottle, this is the beer for you. I can put away about six of these at a party and wonder where the buzz is. Absolutely no color, no head, the lime is there in the nose mixed with corn, but where the heck is the salt? I added a lime to see what the results would be, ala Corona...please don't make that mistake. I'll stock it, I'll drink it once in a while, but I think I'd rather have Corona if I'm going to drink lime-flavored piss. At least I feel like I won't get scurvy if I'm drinking real lime.

ITK4ever, Jul 05, 2007

Nein!!! Nein, nein, nein!!! Aroma is like a lime chuckles candy. Color is like an albino cadaver. Body is thiner than a wasteoid in africa. Do you think I like this beer? Ha. What's the point? a gimmick. That failed. Although I cant say I taste the salt as billed, that's a good thing. Might make a good embalming fluid, but I'd like to wait until after the big day. Still have a fake lime aftertaste in my mouth. Reminds me of lime scented cleaning solvent.

drpimento, Jul 05, 2007
1.43/5  rDev -26.7%

A - Clear, tonic / ginger-ale body with likewise bubbly carbonation and a two-finger, foamy head that drops to lacing within a minute or so.

S - Really can't describe the aroma here; phenolic doesn't quite cut it. To be fair, I may have gotten a bad bottle - but I really do think that it smells like vomit. It might be the combination of salt and artificial / skanked lime that does it. It's so poor that it covers any fusel alcohols, grits, etc that may be under there.

T - Salty lime syrup that has been left out in the sun. Honestly. I know that you're supposed to be positive, and I'm trying to be - I honestly might have pulled an old / skunked bottle; the label was torn and a little ratty. I could see that maybe this would be good ice cold with a little less of the skunky / intense flavor.

M - Thin. Carbonation. Lots of it. Macro-lager, essentially.

D - I really wanted to like this. I'll always throw a lime in a high life (the poor man's corona) when grilling on a hot day (i'm in college, folks...don't judge) so this should have been a shoe-in...the processed / phenolic / artifical tastes just destroy this for me. Again, it may have been a skunked bottle, they are green glass, so I will edit this review when I try another - they only came in 12 packs so I have quite a few to get through / give away.

yourunclewalt, Jul 03, 2007
2.53/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Chill; Miller is really push'n thisone in my area. Seems alot displayed. So I gave in to mass marketing and picked up a six.

It poured a clear golden, active carbonation with a good sized nice white head. Some lace, thin and spotty. Lite in body.

The aroma is citric light lime and a corn and earthy backdrop.

The taste pops the lime wide open, zesty. A hint of corn, grass and hey.

The mouthfeel gets a puckery feel while not sour nor hop, more of the lime. The mouth is left alittle dry, wanting more ( of something ).

Drinkability is there. Its ok, rather refreshing on a hot day. The abv allows for another. Note; the green bottle fits thisone.

chilidog, Jul 03, 2007
2.75/5  rDev +41%

Ok, ok...I finally tried this brew with some reluctance. I tried it when a couple of my friends suggested that we try it as our third or forth beer while out at Buffalo Wildwings. Ya gotta join in even if it means drinking shitty beer.... ya know?

A - Golden yellow clear lager appearance with a decent one finger head that recedes to a wispy haze and a thick collar. Not bad for the style.

S - Limes, tequila, salty sea breeze air, and a trace of citric hops.

T - I thought that I would hate this, but it's actually not bad. If you pretend that it's not beer, it's actually good! Lime juice and tangy citrus flavors dominate the palate with some tequiza-like flavors approximating the taste of cheap tequila.

M - Light bodied, highly carbonated, and very thirst quenching.

D - I could session this on a hot day by the pool, or after a long run. I wanted to hate this, but I actually sort of like it!

pmcadamis, Jun 30, 2007
1.8/5  rDev -7.7%

Didn't find too much redeeming about this one. Tastes pretty much like you poured lime concentrate into a Miller Lite. There is absolutely no subtlety to the lime flavor either it is just way too overpowering. A subtle lime flavor would have been welcomed but they punch you in the face with this one. The mouthfeel was very chewy too, especially for a Miller. Because of the aforementioned problems, it was not especially drinkable either. I got through it fine, but have absolutely no desire to ever do so again. If you want lime in your beer, get a good Mexican beer and drop it in.

darkcarrington, Jun 29, 2007
2.95/5  rDev +51.3%

Appears a light pale golden forms a large white head that quickly dwindles down to scattered lacing that evenly coats the pint glass. Aromatics present with lime peels and corn, rice, and other cooked veggies smell relatively clean overall. Flavor barrage of lime juice sweetness and salted edges drying the sides of the palate, touch of light beer in the background with the mild malt sweetness no real offness just more of an iced margarita type of thing going on. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated light bodied extremely light almost watery feel to it but yet non offensive to me. Drinkability is great for a couple especially after mowing the grass not something I would drink in number a really cloying beer after a couple.

WVbeergeek, Jun 29, 2007
3.13/5  rDev +60.5%

Miller Chill, ran across it in my local supermarket..thought I'd give it a try, it poured a pale golden..average appearance..not much head to speak of.
aroma was vague and grainy, maybe a citrusy whiff?
taste was ok, basically like some one squeezed some lime and orange into a miller.
mouthfeel was typically thin and watery as most macro american beers tend to be.
This was not as bad as I thought, but nothing special, just a curiosity...would be real nice on a blistering hot day..(as it is here)..served nice and cold!

steinlifter, Jun 28, 2007
Miller Chill from Miller Brewing Co.