Miller Chill - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller ChillMiller Chill

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

A Chelada-style light lager beeer with a hint of lime and salt added.

(Beer added by: Frozensoul327 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Chill Alström Bros
1.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Before I knew what real beer was I use to throw back a few corona's with lime from time to time. I expected this to be no better or worse then corona with lime. I was very scared of this beer from the beginning, it just seemed fake, atleast the corona had a real lime shoved into it.
I was right, dead on, this tastes like miller light with some lime flavoring added to it. Not real lime, just some lab created chemical.

A- Light yellow, a little head retention
S- Fake lime, almost soapy
T- Lime from start to finish, with a little miller light thrown in, very chemical like flavor
M- Light and watery as expected
D- I guess since its easy and low on ABV it could be a quencher in the summer, but I wont ever try this again.

Stay away!

1.27/5  rDev -34.9%

Appearance not too bad. Light golden color with one finger head.

Smell was just horrid. I honestly thought of cat urine. I know that's rough, but that's what I smelt.

Taste was not much better. Had a very watery sweet flavor indicative of flat lemon-lime soda. A very faint hop bite.

Not many beer attributes. I agree with assessment "beer for people who don't like beer".

1.63/5  rDev -16.4%

A quick decanting shows the obvious clarity of a light beer and the head of one as well. Not much head retention at all but it was not expected. Odd lime aroma, very similar to the natural agents added to soda. There is even a salty note in the nose. First sip shows an extremely thin body with a forced refreshing carbonation. The flavor is the same as the aroma, soda-like lime flavor. Very little malt character at all, hops are a no show and there is a mild salty tone middle to end. Bone dry with a watery lime flavor in the finish.

Chalk this up at a border-line malternative, a beer for people that don't like beer. It actually tastes like a really bad diet soda. Even if this does stick around for more than several years and not deemed a fad anymore it will simply live on as a sub-par product for the ignorant uneducated consumer. Hell, with the amount of soda that is sold in the US this one will probably be here for a long long time but this will be the last visit here as this is a big fat thumbs down.

2.25/5  rDev +15.4%

The substance poured a very, very pale blonde color (as I described it to a friend, it appears like a pint glass of water that someone soaked a corn chip in for a few minutes) and displayed a surprisingly thin, soapy head of bright white. The nose (no, that term is too high-brow for this beer) … the smell was of pale rice grain and corn with an entire package of Spree candy dumped in. Okay, upon the initial tasting, this “beer” comes across less like a beer and more like a malt liquor product like Zima, really. After a couple more attempts, it dawns on me … this is a simply a Miller Lite with Hawaiian Punch added. I detect no lime, although there is a cheap candy-like fruit thing going on, and definitely no salt. For this, I’m actually thankful. The mouthfeel is extremely thin, like carbonated water, and the finish was clean and “spritzy” – more of a citrus soda in this regard than anything else I can think of at the moment. Over all, maybe the Miller folks have nailed what they were trying to create - a Chelada - which is basically a way to make a Mexican beer taste better, if that is possible. I know full well I’m not the demographic they’re trying to reach with this one, but man … I don’t even think I could do this for an occasional lawnmower beer. Definitely not my cup of tea (I’d have certainly preferred a cup of tea!) but if you’re into this sort of thing, knock yourself out.

2.2/5  rDev +12.8%

Low and behold, the marketing got to me. The bottle looks great wet and cold. I grabbed a 12 pack at the local Kroger along with a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Pale ale. They were 12.99 each. All I can say is screw you Miller. I compared my stand by pale ale with Miller Chill and it became evident that Miller makes a defective product. Nothing of quality is evident. No lime, hops, no malt, no anything. I want my money back. Anyone considering Miller Swill (ooops) Chill should try Sierra Nevada Pale ale instead for real beer enjoyment.

2.25/5  rDev +15.4%

Beer was poured from a 12 ounce bottle at 43º. It displayed a clear, light color with very large bubbles and a nice head of foam which quickly dissipated. Bubbles were non existent after a few minutes also.

Citrus, lime was especially evident. No noticeable malt or hop aromas were detected.

Lime was present with the taste and seemed to ask for some salty potato chips, tostados, or tortilla chips.

No lingering affects as this is a beer to be consumed on a hot summer day after working up a sweat and a thirst. Do not waste your time by mulling over this effort too long.

Overall this beer is not a bad attempt by a major brewer. There are some interesting qualities but it should not be confused with a beer that is meant to inspire invigorating conversation. It is a beer to quench thirst.

1.35/5  rDev -30.8%

I tried a bottle of this recently and I thought I should review it. Poured into a plactic cup. The color was light and almost transparent. It lacked smell. Seriously, it had no smell. The beer tasted like lemon lime soda. It had no beer taste at all. I would consider this more a malt beverage than a beer. The mouthfeel was full of carbonation. Drinkability? I don't know how to answer that. Some people might like it. Others might not.

1.25/5  rDev -35.9%

I'll give a new macro a try, just out of curiosity, but normally I don't bother with a rating. I'm making an exception here, because I want to do my part to see that this monstrosity gets the low rating it deserves. Poured a pale straw typical of a light beer. Aroma was an odd, sweet soda-pop. Flavor was dominated by a sweet, Kool-Aid lemon-lime flavor, with a strange, metallic aftertaste that I suppose was intended to be the salt flavor, but was more like putting a quarter in your mouth. If there was any beer flavor in this beverage, I couldn't find it. Stock this next to the Zima.

1.33/5  rDev -31.8%

on the rare occasion that I drink Corona, I squeeze a shitload of lime in there, although I suppose that is mostly to block the smell...so I figured what the heck, I'll try it.

...I better grab something good, because right now my palate is whimpering like a 3 year old - "was I bad???"

OK, this is awful. The lime is even artificial-tasting, chemical-y and nasty. And how much salt is in here?!? Is this swill what they put on the chips at Chipotle? Nah, can't be - I kinda like those.

Can't even really get beer in there. Reminds me of some drunken bet during college - mix some nasty stuff together and tell some sot you'll give him a six-pack if he sucks it down without throwing up.

sorry for the crappy review, but this is a crappy excuse for beer. I forced half the bottle down and decided that was enough for a review. Aroma? - it smells like lime in the sense that a Sprite smells like lime. Drinkability? - off the (bottom of the) charts! Taste? - what, weren't you reading earlier?

Never again.

1.9/5  rDev -2.6%

This beer tasted like a Miller Lite with some lime flavoring added, so, not very good. Appearance was to be expected, and it smelled almost completely of lime. Mouthfeel was just fizzy, and a little prickly from the limes.

For drinkability, I cannot see following this beer with another one.

To be fair, I've never liked to add a lime to Corona, so maybe some personal taste bias is coming in here. However, it is a mass-produced macro with very little personality no matter how you look at it. It unfortunately lacks anything to distinguish itself.

2.9/5  rDev +48.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. green, somewhat novelty looking bottle,

A: Very clear yellow, with a good head, looks like a standard macro lager.

S: Not really much of anything, air smell, with a hint of lime.

T: Basically just the lime flavoring, not really beer-like, but I found it to be somewhat tasty.

M: Thin, watery, not really much to talk about, but not horrible either.

D: Seems like an alcoholic version of a limeade, interesting and easy to drink, it was quite refreshing, but weird. It was certainly better than Miller's regular products.

3.25/5  rDev +66.7%

Pours a pale yellow. Fluffy white head, with some retention,and a bit of lacing. Aroma is weak lime. Body is light and carbionated. Taste is a light ale flavored with lime,and citrus. Crisp, and refreshing, very drinkable on a hot day! I'd have it again.

2.73/5  rDev +40%

pours a clear pale yellow with a two finger frothy white head that fades quickly to to just cover the beer and minimal lacing. the smell of lime was weak and candy like. taste is same, weak flavor, grainy, very dry, mouthfeel light, crisp, lots of carbonation. the citrus tartness is not there i would rather add fresh lime to my own beer of choice. don't think i would buy this beer again.

1.65/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a clear pale yellow with a white head that is initially impressive but completely vanishes without lacing in about a minute. Aroma of lime soda atop rice husks. Faint fizzy light beer taste dominated by artificial lime soda notes. Fortunately, there is not enough taste for it to be truly horrid. Strong selzer water feel makes for about as much drinkability as most common light lagers but the lime spike doesn't justify the premium price.

2.08/5  rDev +6.7%

poured into a mug from a 12oz clear greenish tinted bottle with a twist-off cap.

Clear,yellow with a greenish hue. Tall creamy, slightly sudsy, white head with a bit of retention. Very active carbination and lasting,lively looking beer,leaves some sticky lace coating down the glass.

Clean aroma with subtle lime not as much lime as I would has suspected,at least it's not overdone. Also has a slight grainy aroma. Not much aroma,but nothing offensive.

Clean tasting, lime tastes not overbearing,tastes like a light lime soda. No salt tastes as stated on the label,nothing i could really detect. A dry,light grainy aftertaste. Overall the beer was just too sweet for me.

Very light,watery with a fizzy tang. Drinkable like a glass of water or soda. Not drinkable as far as beer goes. Ordered this at the Mexician restaraunt thougt it might go with the food there, was wrong, wish i ordered a Bohemia instead. Had to order a Bohemia to get the taste of the Chill out of my mouth. Did nothing with the food didn't even help to wash it down. Just another gimmick beer even the wife said it tasted nasty. Not a beer i would drink again just wanted to see what all the hype was about. As usual a big dissapointment. Drink this beer at you own risk.

2.1/5  rDev +7.7%

From a 12 oz bottle with no discernable freshness date. No ABV, but it’s clear that this beer contains 110 calories…. Into a cold pint glass, a hard pour yields only a wispy white “spit” head, more of a thin cap and thick ring than anything. Very pale yellowish color with no carbonation visible. Nose of sweet, sugary—something? Not really malt, more like weak lime Kool-Aid or melted lime Jell-O. Tastes like a Zima with a splash of lime juice. No beer like traits whatsoever. Calling this beer is like calling a golf cart a car. Sure, it has four wheels…. Moving on. Mouth is thin and watery with an explosion of hyperactive carbonation that quickly races away, leaving a clean palate declaring “WTF?” A crisp rush that is neither thirst-quenching nor memorable. Drinkability is ho-hum; it’s an unassuming “chick beer” to be sure, but otherwise completely un-beer-like. May as well be drinking watery carbonated Kool-Aid with a splash of vodka.

Overall: This one is supposed to be like a Corona with a twist of lime? Laughable. A complete waste, OK as far as “malt beverages” like Zima or Smirnoff Ice go, but an utter failure as a beer. Avoid.

2.08/5  rDev +6.7%

So much talk about this beer, I had to see for myself what to make of it. I don't usually dislike American macro-beers the way many BA's do, but this one proves to be a challenge to the taste. Aromas start off with a very standard Miller-ish aroma, but quickly release moderate citrus notes and cereal-grain aroma swirled around light maltiness. looks very pale golden, with brilliant clarity, fizzy head retention, and brilliant clarify. Tastes do the same thing as aromas--start off very Miller-ish, leaving a little longer lag into a sweet Sprite / 7up taste with even sweeter adjuncts and cereal grains. The sweetness seems to be more overpowering than even the lime flavor additions or salt additions. In fact, the salt character would go largely unnoticed if not for the lable. The texture really suffers with a water, sugar-water feel, prickly carbonation and flat texture. Finishes with an emphasis on the sweet grains and fading lime flavor. I would like to say that this experiment was welcomed and an introductory to a little-known style, however I don't feel that this beer represents the style or beer community best. I don't see this one staying on the shelves long.

1.5/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance- A transparent yellow with a tiny head and a little lace.

Smell- A very overwhelming fake lime odor as soon as the bottle opened.

Taste- I know I should not attack a beer but this one was gross. Nauseating lime taste very much over flavored. It was kind of like green gelatin that never set and someone threw some beer in it. An obvious adjunct corn like aftertaste followed.

Mouthfeel- A little syrupy maybe. I can not but my finger on it.

Drinkability- I am drinking this beer never again.

2.38/5  rDev +22.1%

12oz green bottle

Miller Chill was a pale yellow color with good clarity. It had a white head that had decent retention and managed to leave a little lacing behind. The aroma was lime and some grain. The taste was mostly lime with a dry somewhat salty finish. It was light bodied and fairly high carbonation. Drinkability was below average. It is something interesting to try, but one of these was enough for me.

2.1/5  rDev +7.7%

Aroma: Lime and bile. Sticky sweet, lime is artificial and there is a chemical food additive aspect that is straight up nasty.

Appearance: Pale yellow with good clarity. Holds a respectable head and laces nicely.

Flavor: Better than I expected given the nose. It just seems like a weak beer mixed with weak limeade.

Mouthfeel: Light body, firm carbonation, fairly dry and clean finish.

Overall Impression: Why? Just not enough here to say much about.

Thanks to Pegasus for the karma point.

1.23/5  rDev -36.9%

Served in a pint glass.

A. Pale yellow with small head that fades quickly.

S. Lime and citrus notes.

T. I think they actually did what they set out to do: they created a macro beer that uses artificial flavor (lime and salt) to cover up the original flavor of the beer. However, I find the artificial tasting lime flavor to be as off-putting as the beer is without it.

M. Thin and watery, with a refreshing carbonation level.

D. Not a beer to drink. I don't even think most macro lovers will enjoy this brew.

3.45/5  rDev +76.9%

I bought a six pack of Miller Chill to go with some tacos on a camping trip. A lot of people won't like this beer, but for what it's supposed to be it's not bad. Poured in to a pilsner glass.

Pours a very pale yellow color and is crystal clear. Many bubbles are rising through the beer. A foamy white head forms and is fairly resilient, lacing the sides of the glass.

Smell is fruity and candy like. Smells like a lime Starburst candy.

Taste is sweet and fruity. Lime flavor dominates, with a mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean. Soda like. A little bubble gum texture maybe?

A drinkable beer, but not great. Paired with average American-Mexican food it's good. If you like Corona with lime but don;t like packing or cutting the limes, this one might be for you.

1.4/5  rDev -28.2%

This is basically a hatecrime in a bottle.

For whatever reason this seems to be the rage. The lime flavoring taste is very artificial. Almost like someone dropped green Skittles in my beer. My very bad beer. Oh and there's salt flavoring too. Surprisingly, the salt taste was actually not terrible.

Anyhow. Avoid this.

1.63/5  rDev -16.4%

Originally reviewed May 1, 2007. From a 12 Oz Bottle. A sniff from the neck yields a saccharin rotting corn and lime rinds. Appears to be a rather clear pour. Flavor begins with stale corn and swiftly slides into a repugnant fake lime juice. I think the salt provides illusion of body for a beer that would typical come across as water. Tastes like I put a lime in a Corona and let it sit in the hot sun for an afternoon. Skanky, sleazy and over-advertised.

2.98/5  rDev +52.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Service Temperature, 35 degrees. 8 ounce glass.

On the surface the beer appears a light gold with some clarity.
Overall head retention is mild with light head, coursing ascross the glass is a small amount of lace.
Allowing a waft of the beer into my nose followed with lemon zest & a slight sparkling.
Sipping the beer, I detect some biscuit, a mild hoppiness, and a malt backend, and something lemony and "tortilla chips"
Overall mouthfeel is medium

I think that Miller has achieved their goal of being compared to some of the Mexican imports, but overall I am unimpressed.

Miller Chill from Miller Brewing Co.