Miller Chill - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller ChillMiller Chill

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

A Chelada-style light lager beeer with a hint of lime and salt added.

(Beer added by: Frozensoul327 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Chill Alström Bros
shirfan

I'm going to review this "beer" backwards. Drinkability is actually average. There's no adjunct flavor, no skunk, no disgusting weirdness. Far from the flavor atrocity that B^e is. However, it doesn't really taste like beer...at all.

Watery, slightly salty lime soda pop is the flavor profile. Zero malt, zero hops, zero off flavors. Is it refreshing? Yes, I will grudgingly admit that it is. Is it beer? Perhaps in name only... I'd classify this as a "malternative" or "alco-pop" at best.

Very light gold color, a fast-fading fizzy white head, aroma of limes.

I'd drink these on a hot day if they were free and cold. But I refuse to call them beer, cerveza, or whatever other word one may use for the product of malt, hops, yeast, and water.

07-14-2007 20:57:16 | More by shirfan
spaceranger

2.03/5  rDev +4.1%

This stuff is getting some attention here on BA (a lot of media push), it's summertime, it's hot, so what the hell - I picked it up to see what Miller is trying to pull. To their credit, they at LEAST put this product in a green bottle so it won't skunk out like some of their other product. Other than that - this is just like the crappy beer they normally produce with some lime juice added. And even the juice isn't really good. All these big guys are trying to cash in now on the public's move away from their mediocre product and they appear to think that all they have to do is add some spice or fruit, mix the crap up, slap some kind of shiny label on it and somebody will buy it. Some might, but I won't. And, oh yeah, this stuff is seriously over-priced.

07-14-2007 12:39:02 | More by spaceranger
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.15/5  rDev +10.3%

Straight up pour gives a five finger white head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Crystal clear pale amber color. Light-medium carbonation and light bodied. Lime nose. Flavor is a slightly tart lime drink, the lime hides any malt or hops, clean finish. Good lawnmower beer but don't drink this expecting anything like a beer. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capital Convenience Concord, NH.

07-13-2007 23:46:30 | More by jdhilt
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Purchased as a single for US$1.49 at Liquor Shed in Casper.

This pours from 12oz bottle a pale gold with a small head of foam. That soon shrinks to just a few islands in the middle of my glass.

The smell reminds me of a wine cooler. Fruity, lemon lime.

The taste has a lot of lemon and lime flavour to it until about midway through and through the finish where it's quite watery.
I'm glad I only bought the 1 bottle. ;^)

'nuff said from me.

07-11-2007 22:45:53 | More by Bitterbill
Andbrew

3.08/5  rDev +57.9%

This beer certainly lives up to the chelada name - sans hot sauce.

While I wasn't surprised at the drinkability, as that is Miller's supreme goal, I was surprised at how little this beer tasted of any kind of - beer. I found it more reminiscent of a mikes hard limeade.

The beer is fizzy with no head, light and tastes of strong lime with a soured aftertaste which is supposed to give the "salt" taste.

Overall, I commend Miller for going outside the box on this one, and it does live up to the hype - however fizzy and without the polarizing hot sauce. I would choose this over any corona or other such.

07-10-2007 04:12:46 | More by Andbrew
Karyyk

South Carolina

3.03/5  rDev +55.4%

There's really not much to mention here. For a beer that's being marketed as a "super premium," I found it quite unremarkable. It's pale, has a short-lived head and leaves minimal lacing. Taste is lime on top of lime, as I'm guessing a chelada should be (the recipe calls for the juice of 1 to 2 whole limes, then Mexican beer), and while it is rather refreshing, I was expecting something more for $11.99 (12 pack). At that price you can buy as 12-pack of Caguama, Corona or Sol and 4 limes. Unremarkable, but not bad, and it's definitely overpriced (by about $4; don't kid yourselves Miller, this isn't worth it, and it's definitely no import).

Probably the best way to sum this beer/chelada up is the response of a friend of mine. He tasted it, swished it around in his mouth and simply said, "It's kind of like Sprite." 'Nuff said.

07-08-2007 05:07:47 | More by Karyyk
daliandragon

1.95/5  rDev 0%

Okay, as a caveat before we begin: I did not drop money on this. My uncle brought over a twelver for the 4th of July barbecue and this is one of the many leftovers.

Light pee color with no head or signs of life at all. Sugary lime and artificial flavors in the nose, although it's not offensive.

Salt and lime juice are the main players in this beer themed drink. It reminds me more of one of the beer imposters like those Mike's or Smirnoff things you see at the supermarket. No hops or barley flavors to mention. Texture is weak and watery and makes me slightly queasy.

This is what you think it is, and it's pretty bad even for that. I hope I'm strong enough to pour out what's left in the fridge.

07-07-2007 03:12:34 | More by daliandragon
wondertrev

1.2/5  rDev -38.5%

Pretty damned nasty, especially compared to the micheladas I used to drink when I lived on the border. A michelada is essentially a red beer with less tomato juice, some lime juice, and some spices. They're a wonderful local specialty.

This, however, is vile. Take a pretty nasty beer, add some salt and old Roses lime juice, add some marketing, and you have Chill. It's thin and watery, the smell is off-putting, and the taste is worse than Tequiza. I suspect it's marketed for cheesy Texas lake/ country dance warehouse chicks and their tattooed boyfriends who can't afford Corona (another nasty beer).

07-07-2007 00:01:57 | More by wondertrev
Rudgers73

3.03/5  rDev +55.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Big bubbles forming a very minimally dense head. Prickly looking foam. Very light color. Much like miller light. The smell is that of miller light with a decent amount of bitter lime zest. The taste, again, much like miller light but with a tangy-sweet citrus (lime) burst. It doesn't taste horribly artificial, but it is a big part of the flavor. I found this quite quenching (to my surprise) after a long week and a humid and hot friday evening. Will I buy it again? no. Will I finish the 6'er without any quams? probably.

07-06-2007 23:13:43 | More by Rudgers73
ITK4ever

Maryland

2.03/5  rDev +4.1%

I have to stock this now, because my neighbor who raids my beer fridge likes it and I'd rather him not drink all my good stuff. If you're into fads, and think you look cool with the green bottle, this is the beer for you. I can put away about six of these at a party and wonder where the buzz is. Absolutely no color, no head, the lime is there in the nose mixed with corn, but where the heck is the salt? I added a lime to see what the results would be, ala Corona...please don't make that mistake. I'll stock it, I'll drink it once in a while, but I think I'd rather have Corona if I'm going to drink lime-flavored piss. At least I feel like I won't get scurvy if I'm drinking real lime.

07-05-2007 15:03:04 | More by ITK4ever
drpimento

Wisconsin

Nein!!! Nein, nein, nein!!! Aroma is like a lime chuckles candy. Color is like an albino cadaver. Body is thiner than a wasteoid in africa. Do you think I like this beer? Ha. What's the point? a gimmick. That failed. Although I cant say I taste the salt as billed, that's a good thing. Might make a good embalming fluid, but I'd like to wait until after the big day. Still have a fake lime aftertaste in my mouth. Reminds me of lime scented cleaning solvent.

07-05-2007 02:00:32 | More by drpimento
yourunclewalt

1.43/5  rDev -26.7%

A - Clear, tonic / ginger-ale body with likewise bubbly carbonation and a two-finger, foamy head that drops to lacing within a minute or so.

S - Really can't describe the aroma here; phenolic doesn't quite cut it. To be fair, I may have gotten a bad bottle - but I really do think that it smells like vomit. It might be the combination of salt and artificial / skanked lime that does it. It's so poor that it covers any fusel alcohols, grits, etc that may be under there.

T - Salty lime syrup that has been left out in the sun. Honestly. I know that you're supposed to be positive, and I'm trying to be - I honestly might have pulled an old / skunked bottle; the label was torn and a little ratty. I could see that maybe this would be good ice cold with a little less of the skunky / intense flavor.

M - Thin. Carbonation. Lots of it. Macro-lager, essentially.

D - I really wanted to like this. I'll always throw a lime in a high life (the poor man's corona) when grilling on a hot day (i'm in college, folks...don't judge) so this should have been a shoe-in...the processed / phenolic / artifical tastes just destroy this for me. Again, it may have been a skunked bottle, they are green glass, so I will edit this review when I try another - they only came in 12 packs so I have quite a few to get through / give away.

07-03-2007 04:27:02 | More by yourunclewalt
chilidog

2.53/5  rDev +29.7%

Chill; Miller is really push'n thisone in my area. Seems alot displayed. So I gave in to mass marketing and picked up a six.

It poured a clear golden, active carbonation with a good sized nice white head. Some lace, thin and spotty. Lite in body.

The aroma is citric light lime and a corn and earthy backdrop.

The taste pops the lime wide open, zesty. A hint of corn, grass and hey.

The mouthfeel gets a puckery feel while not sour nor hop, more of the lime. The mouth is left alittle dry, wanting more ( of something ).

Drinkability is there. Its ok, rather refreshing on a hot day. The abv allows for another. Note; the green bottle fits thisone.

07-03-2007 01:20:44 | More by chilidog
pmcadamis

2.75/5  rDev +41%

Ok, ok...I finally tried this brew with some reluctance. I tried it when a couple of my friends suggested that we try it as our third or forth beer while out at Buffalo Wildwings. Ya gotta join in even if it means drinking shitty beer.... ya know?

A - Golden yellow clear lager appearance with a decent one finger head that recedes to a wispy haze and a thick collar. Not bad for the style.

S - Limes, tequila, salty sea breeze air, and a trace of citric hops.

T - I thought that I would hate this, but it's actually not bad. If you pretend that it's not beer, it's actually good! Lime juice and tangy citrus flavors dominate the palate with some tequiza-like flavors approximating the taste of cheap tequila.

M - Light bodied, highly carbonated, and very thirst quenching.

D - I could session this on a hot day by the pool, or after a long run. I wanted to hate this, but I actually sort of like it!

06-30-2007 06:45:19 | More by pmcadamis
darkcarrington

Georgia

1.8/5  rDev -7.7%

Didn't find too much redeeming about this one. Tastes pretty much like you poured lime concentrate into a Miller Lite. There is absolutely no subtlety to the lime flavor either it is just way too overpowering. A subtle lime flavor would have been welcomed but they punch you in the face with this one. The mouthfeel was very chewy too, especially for a Miller. Because of the aforementioned problems, it was not especially drinkable either. I got through it fine, but have absolutely no desire to ever do so again. If you want lime in your beer, get a good Mexican beer and drop it in.

06-29-2007 21:29:34 | More by darkcarrington
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.95/5  rDev +51.3%

Appears a light pale golden forms a large white head that quickly dwindles down to scattered lacing that evenly coats the pint glass. Aromatics present with lime peels and corn, rice, and other cooked veggies smell relatively clean overall. Flavor barrage of lime juice sweetness and salted edges drying the sides of the palate, touch of light beer in the background with the mild malt sweetness no real offness just more of an iced margarita type of thing going on. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated light bodied extremely light almost watery feel to it but yet non offensive to me. Drinkability is great for a couple especially after mowing the grass not something I would drink in number a really cloying beer after a couple.

06-29-2007 01:31:53 | More by WVbeergeek
steinlifter

3.13/5  rDev +60.5%

Miller Chill, ran across it in my local supermarket..thought I'd give it a try, it poured a pale golden..average appearance..not much head to speak of.
aroma was vague and grainy, maybe a citrusy whiff?
taste was ok, basically like some one squeezed some lime and orange into a miller.
mouthfeel was typically thin and watery as most macro american beers tend to be.
This was not as bad as I thought, but nothing special, just a curiosity...would be real nice on a blistering hot day..(as it is here)..served nice and cold!

06-28-2007 16:07:26 | More by steinlifter
dstc

First off I've always been a fan of Miller although I haven't had one of there products in years. Growing up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, driving down to Milwaukee to visit Miller was always fun so I went into this beer with an open mind. I'm also a big fan of Corona with a lime stuck in it so I thought let's give this a try.

Pours a very pale yellow color with a small head that leaves a faint lace behind.

Smells very light and too sweet. Fruity but over-the-top fake, sweet fruit smell.

Wow. Tastes like lime-ade with a kick. Albeit a very small kick, more like a nudge. You know, this doesn't even taste like beer. The lime taste isn't real. It's like a lime flavored Popsicle melted in a light beer and made it more watery and sweet.

Very light and carbonated on the tongue. Very watery.

Sorry, I just can't drink it. I want to, I want to give it a good try but I can't finish this bottle. This isn't beer. Just plain awful.

06-28-2007 15:08:15 | More by dstc
gmfessen

3.25/5  rDev +66.7%

Poured from the bottle into a frosted mug, beer is a standard light lager in appearance, light clear golden color with a frothy white head. Smell is of lime, not much else is discernable - smells like a light lager. Taste is also of lime, very sweet and more like a malt beverage than a beer. Decently refreshing. The mouthfeel is light and has a frothy carbonation. A decently drinkable beer, I could see this being good on a hot day.

06-27-2007 02:33:53 | More by gmfessen
DrinkinBoy

Georgia

2.5/5  rDev +28.2%

Miller Chill poured a extremely pale gold, with a little head with little retention.

The smell of beer is very light as expected, but the aroma of lime is noticeable.

Its taste is unusual, but not very good. It is pretty obvious a macro beer with lime and salt just mixed in. Tasted faintly like a flat lemon lime soda.

The mouthfeel was pretty average, except that the lime and salt gives it a little better kick.

Overall, I did not feel that Miller Chill was very drinkable. I first had a six pack in Florida during spring break, and now tried it after it came out nationally. Personally I do not enjoy lime in my beer, and I was not to fond of the salt either. Drinking it could be compared to drinking a lot of soda.

06-27-2007 01:48:34 | More by DrinkinBoy
Mitchster

3.28/5  rDev +68.2%

Pours to a crystal clear straw golden, forming a modest rocky white head which quickly dissipates and leaves minimal lace, despite a vigorous pour. Zippy carbonation, very much like a cola. Aroma is not bad, kinda fun, definitely a "malternative" kinda nose...lime, macro brew, corn, that's about it. Mouthfeel is very crisp and clean with a light body. Taste begins with a candyish lime flavor, followed by a sugary aftertaste, a hint of corn, no bitterness. I can't detect salt much. Pretty much that candy-like lime aftertaste.

This tastes like Coors Light mixed 40/60 with Zima. Refreshing in a soda kinda-way, easy to drink when ice-cold on a hot day, but I could only have two, and I'd have to cap it off with a pale ale. It doesn't satisfy like a "real" beer does, but it's a decent alternative.

06-26-2007 22:44:14 | More by Mitchster
tugdriver7

Maryland

3.35/5  rDev +71.8%

My expectations were pretty low. I loved the cool green packaging, but the Miller name and the "lime flavoring" piece made me pessimistic about the taste. I had anticipated "Mike's Hard Lime" or something similarly repulsive. And the soda-like appearance, frothy head and bubbles made me wonder. There wasn't much in the nose except a hint of the lime, but the taste was actually something more than I expected. Reminded me of a Corona with a lime and salty corn chips. The taste was like summer in the backyard. And the definite (albeit light) beer background in the taste brought a unique balance to the whole thing--malty, fruity, sweet, salty, bubbly... and watery too. Still, I was intrigued. A bit put-off by the salty taste, but that really isn't very strong. And I could see how it could actually help make it more drinkable. In short, would be a fun "deck BBQ" beer in the summer... at least with food.

06-24-2007 03:34:14 | More by tugdriver7
arguemaniac

3.03/5  rDev +55.4%

Surprisingly refreshing: sure it’s basically a pretty watery light macro lager, but the lime and salt actually add a nice crispness and a bit more flavor. The slight citrusy lime note in the aroma is also nice.

It’s a bit gimmicky and certainly no the most flavorful summer seasonal out there, but other than that I don’t really have any complaints. I might get bored with this one before I finished a six-pack, but it was more than worth a try…

06-24-2007 02:01:29 | More by arguemaniac
largadeer

Got a free sample of this at my local beer bistro.

Appearance: Fizzy pale yellow with practically no color, perfectly clear, with no head whatsoever. Pours like soda.

Smell: A muddled citrus aroma dominated by a soda-pop sweetness. No malt or hop character whatsoever.

Taste: My first impression is that this barely resembles beer. Sickly sweet with an ambiguous lime flavor that's mostly reminiscent of an old can of Sprite.

Mouthfeel: Thin, fizzy, overcarbonated and bloating. Resembles your average light macro beer.

Drinkability: Hopefully I'll never drink this again.

Notes: Beers like this piss me off because not only does it try to completely disguise any actual beer-like flavors, but the fruit flavor used to cover any would-be beer flavor is nasty and artificial.

06-22-2007 22:30:36 | More by largadeer
IntriqKen

1.43/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours like a standard macro...pale yellow with a soft head that disappears quickly.
Aroma is more lemon than lime to me but with some funky adjunct aroma that makes it smell 'heavy'.
Taste does have a fresh lime and touch of salt to it but then the 'heavy' adjunct (corn maybe?) comes in and makes it very unpleasant to me.
This isn't just Miller with lime and salt...there is something else in there I can't really identify that makes it almost undrinkable to me.

06-22-2007 03:08:32 | More by IntriqKen
Miller Chill from Miller Brewing Co.