Miller Chill - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller ChillMiller Chill

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

A Chelada-style light lager beeer with a hint of lime and salt added.

(Beer added by: Frozensoul327 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Chill Alström Bros
1.23/5  rDev -36.6%

Served in a pint glass.

A. Pale yellow with small head that fades quickly.

S. Lime and citrus notes.

T. I think they actually did what they set out to do: they created a macro beer that uses artificial flavor (lime and salt) to cover up the original flavor of the beer. However, I find the artificial tasting lime flavor to be as off-putting as the beer is without it.

M. Thin and watery, with a refreshing carbonation level.

D. Not a beer to drink. I don't even think most macro lovers will enjoy this brew.

BeerAndBourbon, Jul 22, 2007
3.45/5  rDev +77.8%

I bought a six pack of Miller Chill to go with some tacos on a camping trip. A lot of people won't like this beer, but for what it's supposed to be it's not bad. Poured in to a pilsner glass.

Pours a very pale yellow color and is crystal clear. Many bubbles are rising through the beer. A foamy white head forms and is fairly resilient, lacing the sides of the glass.

Smell is fruity and candy like. Smells like a lime Starburst candy.

Taste is sweet and fruity. Lime flavor dominates, with a mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean. Soda like. A little bubble gum texture maybe?

A drinkable beer, but not great. Paired with average American-Mexican food it's good. If you like Corona with lime but don;t like packing or cutting the limes, this one might be for you.

RJLarse, Jul 22, 2007
1.4/5  rDev -27.8%

This is basically a hatecrime in a bottle.

For whatever reason this seems to be the rage. The lime flavoring taste is very artificial. Almost like someone dropped green Skittles in my beer. My very bad beer. Oh and there's salt flavoring too. Surprisingly, the salt taste was actually not terrible.

Anyhow. Avoid this.

sloejams, Jul 22, 2007
1.63/5  rDev -16%

Originally reviewed May 1, 2007. From a 12 Oz Bottle. A sniff from the neck yields a saccharin rotting corn and lime rinds. Appears to be a rather clear pour. Flavor begins with stale corn and swiftly slides into a repugnant fake lime juice. I think the salt provides illusion of body for a beer that would typical come across as water. Tastes like I put a lime in a Corona and let it sit in the hot sun for an afternoon. Skanky, sleazy and over-advertised.

CharlesDarwin, Jul 21, 2007
2.98/5  rDev +53.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Service Temperature, 35 degrees. 8 ounce glass.

On the surface the beer appears a light gold with some clarity.
Overall head retention is mild with light head, coursing ascross the glass is a small amount of lace.
Allowing a waft of the beer into my nose followed with lemon zest & a slight sparkling.
Sipping the beer, I detect some biscuit, a mild hoppiness, and a malt backend, and something lemony and "tortilla chips"
Overall mouthfeel is medium

I think that Miller has achieved their goal of being compared to some of the Mexican imports, but overall I am unimpressed.

mnapier, Jul 21, 2007
2.2/5  rDev +13.4%

cold - not too bad. no color and little smell. some faint beer type smell with lemon. taste was not too bad kind of refreshing on a hot summer day when your mouth and throat feel like the have been stuffed with cotton and talcum powder for 2 days.

not cold - chill rhymes with swill. nuff said.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

giblet, Jul 20, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -22.7%

Clear, pale gold in hue with a steady stream of bubbles racing to the frothy white head; at the apex the head was almost three fingers tall. This beer does look striking in my Pilsner glass. Head retention was very good (but aren’t all Miller beers?). Subsequent lacing was widespread. For a pale lager, this is a good looking beer.

The nose smells like faint lime cleaning solution, not really natural. I was expecting it to smell somewhat like a lime corn chip, it doesn’t. It is not very beery. No malt. No hops. No cereal. No salt. All I get is lime. The nose is odd… very odd. I don’t like it. Not inviting on any level.

WOW! It is like drinking a lime corn chip soaked in Tequiza. I am burping it after two sips. Yikes! Funky lime flavors, salty corny twang, some rice-like tackiness (like rice cooked with too much water and then drained). I don’t think rice was used in the brewing process but I can’t explain what I taste any better. Awful aftertaste… I am cringing with every swallow. It is somewhat sweet and yet kind of dry. This tastes more like a shitty, cheap margarita then it does a beer with salt and lime. Yuck.

Light in body, fairly firm carbonation, the mouthfeel is respectable for the style.

Truly awful. I can’t believe there is a market for this beer. A year from now will Miller Chill be on the market? I’ll bet it is not. This is much worse than I ever thought it could be. I almost sprang for a six-pack a few weeks ago… thank god I didn’t. One bottle is way more than I can handle. Avoid.

bditty187, Jul 20, 2007
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Clear light golden color with a fizzy head that disappears quickly. The aroma is pretty much lime with just the barest hint of light malt, but pleasant all the same. The taste is light lime, just a bit of bready malt, a touch of salt and maybe just a touch of hops in the finish. Altogether, not really much like beer, but not sweet either, the touch of salt is interesting and not overdone to give a bit of a margarita flavor. It is not a margarita, however - much lighter and a bit watered down. It is not corona and lime either regardless of the ads, but altogether it could be very refreshing on a hot summer day and it would be easy to get several of these down ice cold.

whynot44, Jul 19, 2007
3.15/5  rDev +62.4%

Sampled on 7-18-07

Pours a crystal clear pale yellow, super clean, no head, no lacing.

Smell is light and limey, adjuncty beer underneath.

Taste is, not that bad. Lime at first, followed by a decent breadiness. You can taste the salt a little on the way out, but it gives this beer a balanced, less-sweet character.

Mouthfeel is good, lighter on the carbonation than you might expect.

Drinkability is very good, this is the definition of refreshing.

Overall, a very interesting beer, head-and-shoulders better than Miller Lite, on which I'm assuming it's based. Make it cheaper, put it in a can, and you'd have a winner.

BMoney575, Jul 19, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +89.7%

I was quite hesistant when I tried this, because it is a Miller product and was warned that it wasn't great. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I drank out of the bottle because all the cups were used, so I couldn't get a good grasp on the appearance. Not a very noticable smell either, sort of lime, but not strong. The taste was very refreshing on a warm summer afternoon though. It quenched my thirst, but it didn't taste quite like beer. It sort of is a non-sweet, not-too-salty, limey but not quite, margarita flavored water. Went down smooth and I was actually impressed.

jmp491, Jul 18, 2007
1.45/5  rDev -25.3%

Bought only one in a mixer.

A - Poured out a straw yellow color with a small, short-lived, white head. Highly carbonated and left no lace.

S - It smelled of lime and grain adjuncts.

T - It tasted of lime and salt, kind of like a margarita but slightly beer-like.

M - It was a little thin and watery. A very light bodied beer.

D - It really tasted like a Corona with a couple limes in it. Too much lime though.

zeff80, Jul 18, 2007
2.65/5  rDev +36.6%

Not sure why I ordered this tonight, probably because I had been bombarded like everyone else with the adds for it and had to at least give it a try. I figured it to be in the same vane as the Tequiza of the world, and I ended up being not that far off, however it does get points for the bottle which did look pretty cool, anyway...

A - Pale golden yellow, with a big fizzy white head that dropped down to nothing. Lots of carbonation, and no lace.

S - Overwhelmed by the smell of lime in this one. It almost smelled like a weak margarita which is where I think they were trying to go with this. No real detectable smell of the beer..

T - Wow, it is totally a margarita rip off. Lots of lime and salt like flavors. Some small hint of a grainy macro lager that had an entire lime squeezed into it, with maybe a touch of some kind of hybrid non alcoholic taquilla. Not impressed.'

M - Very crisp, no really linger ing feel. Clean with alot of carbonation.

Overall this was a decent novelty beer and went well with the chips at the bar but I would not bring home a six pack of this, nor buy another bottle anytime soon. give it a try if its around just for giggles.

mikesgroove, Jul 18, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +57.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a 12 ounce green bottle w/no freshness date into a pilser glass.

Surprisingly, the beer has a good amount of head and lacing on the glass. A little thin looking in the body, but pretty damn good keeping the style in mind as far as appearence goes.

There is one way to describe this brew....Fresca tasting. I was the designated driver last night at a party, and was drinking Fresca, and I swear, this brew almost doesn't taste like beer at all and tastes much more like a Fresca than it does a beer. Not a bad thing; hell, I like the taste of Fresca! The sip starts off w/the citrus Fresca flavors and then a fairly nice little carbonation like hop bite (surprise surprise) cleans things up at the end.
Mouthfeel is actually pretty good for the style of beer as well.

I must admit, I normally not a Miller drinker, but as a true BA, I feel it's important to forget the brewer and evaluate the beer for what it is. This is truly a non-beer drinkers brew. The verdict here is that this brew is noting bad, and if you want something that tastes more like a refreshing drink like Fresca, this is your brew. I prefer a brew that tastes more like "beer", but that's just me.

AustinBeerLvr, Jul 16, 2007
2.83/5  rDev +45.9%

Reveiwed straight outta the green bottle. The beer looks like water. If there was water in the bottle it would look exactly the same with the exception of a very light head. The smell is like most other light beers with just a hint of citrus. The taste is sorta like hard lemonade with a pinch of salt. The mouthfeel though is light and refreshing. A very easy drinking brew. A sixer of these should be pretty easy to put away. Drinkability is high.

I bought these expecting the worse but I can actually say this is drinkable if you look at it for what it is. On hot summer days this really hits the spot.

Enola, Jul 15, 2007
1.65/5  rDev -14.9%

APPEARANCE
Clear with very little head retention. Looks carbonated.

SMELL
The odor is extremely bad. It has a salty smell with a lemon twist. I'm sorry to have to describe it this way but it is smells almost like an unkept restroom.

TASTE
Tastes as bad as it smells. You could taste the lemon, so I gave it some points, but the execution was poor.

MOUTHFEEL
Very watery. Too low in carbonation. Quite flat after sitting for just a minute.

DRINKABILITY
I'm very disappointed in this beer. I generally enjoy Miller products, but this is just bad. A very poor compitetor for Mexican beer. Someone should get fired for this mistake.

GeneralZod, Jul 15, 2007

I'm going to review this "beer" backwards. Drinkability is actually average. There's no adjunct flavor, no skunk, no disgusting weirdness. Far from the flavor atrocity that B^e is. However, it doesn't really taste like beer...at all.

Watery, slightly salty lime soda pop is the flavor profile. Zero malt, zero hops, zero off flavors. Is it refreshing? Yes, I will grudgingly admit that it is. Is it beer? Perhaps in name only... I'd classify this as a "malternative" or "alco-pop" at best.

Very light gold color, a fast-fading fizzy white head, aroma of limes.

I'd drink these on a hot day if they were free and cold. But I refuse to call them beer, cerveza, or whatever other word one may use for the product of malt, hops, yeast, and water.

shirfan, Jul 14, 2007
2.03/5  rDev +4.6%

This stuff is getting some attention here on BA (a lot of media push), it's summertime, it's hot, so what the hell - I picked it up to see what Miller is trying to pull. To their credit, they at LEAST put this product in a green bottle so it won't skunk out like some of their other product. Other than that - this is just like the crappy beer they normally produce with some lime juice added. And even the juice isn't really good. All these big guys are trying to cash in now on the public's move away from their mediocre product and they appear to think that all they have to do is add some spice or fruit, mix the crap up, slap some kind of shiny label on it and somebody will buy it. Some might, but I won't. And, oh yeah, this stuff is seriously over-priced.

spaceranger, Jul 14, 2007
2.15/5  rDev +10.8%

Straight up pour gives a five finger white head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Crystal clear pale amber color. Light-medium carbonation and light bodied. Lime nose. Flavor is a slightly tart lime drink, the lime hides any malt or hops, clean finish. Good lawnmower beer but don't drink this expecting anything like a beer. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capital Convenience Concord, NH.

jdhilt, Jul 14, 2007
2.03/5  rDev +4.6%

Purchased as a single for US$1.49 at Liquor Shed in Casper.

This pours from 12oz bottle a pale gold with a small head of foam. That soon shrinks to just a few islands in the middle of my glass.

The smell reminds me of a wine cooler. Fruity, lemon lime.

The taste has a lot of lemon and lime flavour to it until about midway through and through the finish where it's quite watery.
I'm glad I only bought the 1 bottle. ;^)

'nuff said from me.

Bitterbill, Jul 11, 2007
3.08/5  rDev +58.8%

This beer certainly lives up to the chelada name - sans hot sauce.

While I wasn't surprised at the drinkability, as that is Miller's supreme goal, I was surprised at how little this beer tasted of any kind of - beer. I found it more reminiscent of a mikes hard limeade.

The beer is fizzy with no head, light and tastes of strong lime with a soured aftertaste which is supposed to give the "salt" taste.

Overall, I commend Miller for going outside the box on this one, and it does live up to the hype - however fizzy and without the polarizing hot sauce. I would choose this over any corona or other such.

Andbrew, Jul 10, 2007
3.03/5  rDev +56.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

There's really not much to mention here. For a beer that's being marketed as a "super premium," I found it quite unremarkable. It's pale, has a short-lived head and leaves minimal lacing. Taste is lime on top of lime, as I'm guessing a chelada should be (the recipe calls for the juice of 1 to 2 whole limes, then Mexican beer), and while it is rather refreshing, I was expecting something more for $11.99 (12 pack). At that price you can buy as 12-pack of Caguama, Corona or Sol and 4 limes. Unremarkable, but not bad, and it's definitely overpriced (by about $4; don't kid yourselves Miller, this isn't worth it, and it's definitely no import).

Probably the best way to sum this beer/chelada up is the response of a friend of mine. He tasted it, swished it around in his mouth and simply said, "It's kind of like Sprite." 'Nuff said.

Karyyk, Jul 08, 2007
1.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Okay, as a caveat before we begin: I did not drop money on this. My uncle brought over a twelver for the 4th of July barbecue and this is one of the many leftovers.

Light pee color with no head or signs of life at all. Sugary lime and artificial flavors in the nose, although it's not offensive.

Salt and lime juice are the main players in this beer themed drink. It reminds me more of one of the beer imposters like those Mike's or Smirnoff things you see at the supermarket. No hops or barley flavors to mention. Texture is weak and watery and makes me slightly queasy.

This is what you think it is, and it's pretty bad even for that. I hope I'm strong enough to pour out what's left in the fridge.

daliandragon, Jul 07, 2007
1.2/5  rDev -38.1%

Pretty damned nasty, especially compared to the micheladas I used to drink when I lived on the border. A michelada is essentially a red beer with less tomato juice, some lime juice, and some spices. They're a wonderful local specialty.

This, however, is vile. Take a pretty nasty beer, add some salt and old Roses lime juice, add some marketing, and you have Chill. It's thin and watery, the smell is off-putting, and the taste is worse than Tequiza. I suspect it's marketed for cheesy Texas lake/ country dance warehouse chicks and their tattooed boyfriends who can't afford Corona (another nasty beer).

wondertrev, Jul 07, 2007
3.03/5  rDev +56.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Big bubbles forming a very minimally dense head. Prickly looking foam. Very light color. Much like miller light. The smell is that of miller light with a decent amount of bitter lime zest. The taste, again, much like miller light but with a tangy-sweet citrus (lime) burst. It doesn't taste horribly artificial, but it is a big part of the flavor. I found this quite quenching (to my surprise) after a long week and a humid and hot friday evening. Will I buy it again? no. Will I finish the 6'er without any quams? probably.

Rudgers73, Jul 07, 2007
2.03/5  rDev +4.6%

I have to stock this now, because my neighbor who raids my beer fridge likes it and I'd rather him not drink all my good stuff. If you're into fads, and think you look cool with the green bottle, this is the beer for you. I can put away about six of these at a party and wonder where the buzz is. Absolutely no color, no head, the lime is there in the nose mixed with corn, but where the heck is the salt? I added a lime to see what the results would be, ala Corona...please don't make that mistake. I'll stock it, I'll drink it once in a while, but I think I'd rather have Corona if I'm going to drink lime-flavored piss. At least I feel like I won't get scurvy if I'm drinking real lime.

ITK4ever, Jul 05, 2007
Miller Chill from Miller Brewing Co.