Miller 64 - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller 64Miller 64

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  2.80% ABV

(Beer added by: ZAP on 06-04-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller 64 Alström Bros
1.18/5  rDev -34.1%

Comes out of the tap a typical clear straw-yellow, but it does at least have a fine-bubbled head. Aroma is weak, though crisp and malty - not at all promising. Flavor is very thin, like beer that has been cut with water. Texture is so watery, one might as well be drinking water - there is just a teeny bit of tingle, not near enough to feel like beer. Fuhgeddaboutit.

Cyberkedi, Feb 10, 2009
2.4/5  rDev +34.1%

When you try these low calorie beers, what else can you possibly expect? It is what it is, and you can't expect anything more. It's as watery as anyone would expect but the good news is that you can look like a superhero after you slam down about 15 of these in 2 hours.

KBoudreau66, Jan 31, 2009
2.98/5  rDev +66.5%

I dont know why people give this such a low rating!!!
Yes, it is soooo light you can use it as a tourch but that is the whole IDEA of a diet beer with next to no calories.

for what its trying to be, its spot on, a beer you can drink with dinner instead of a soda and still save room on your beer gutt's ring-o-round the handles!

Ok it sucks!!! but I feel better giving this beer its props for being exactly what I thought it would be....light and bubbly, just the way I like my strippers!

cliffnorm, Jan 25, 2009
2.13/5  rDev +19%

Miller's Genuine Draft 64 looks like a standard American light lager with a crystal-clear straw-gold body and a bright-white head. The thin,creamy head drops shortly but maintains a solid surface covering. Surprisingly for a light beer, it has some very good lacing.

The aroma is limited, barely offering a generic beer aroma.

The flavor follows the aroma, and although there's a minor bit of malt smudged with hop flavor, it's really the mild hint of bitterness that lets you know it's beer you're drinking. Still, the minor hops that are there tend to stick around a bit in the finish, and there's even a minor resemblance of something once malty there as well.

As might be expected, the body is paper-thin and crisp with carbonation.

I'd originally avoided this beer because I couldn't put 2 and 2 together to make 4. Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram, which is approximately 150 calories per ounce. MGD Light 64 has less than half of that. The rest of the calories in beer (or any other alcoholic drink, with vodka being the leanest) is made up of carbs (residual sugars... flavor!). MGD Light 64 has only 2.4 carbs, which is .2 carbs less than Michelob Ultra, which barely tastes like beer. So, what it all adds up to is...

30% less calories.
30% less alcohol (2.8% abv).
30% less flavor.
10% less drinkability.

NeroFiddled, Jan 18, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +46.9%

Bought for a neighbor who likes light beer - I took one, so she got a five-pack...

Pours very clear straw yellow with a thin white had that has some retention. A bit of lacing sticks - not much. Although the head eventually disappears, head not bad for style. Color is light, even for style, evening things out.

The smell is of - generic beer? Some graininess. Faint something "beerish". Nothing particularly "off".

Taste is of seltzer with enough "beer" something. Slight grain - touch of slight bitterness so I guess there might be a non-descript hop presence somewhere.

It is light and fizzy.

I was able to finish it. But, I was thirsty, and could finish seltzer water, I guess. There is something "beer-ish". Better than some other light beers. Not as good as Sam Adams light, as it lacks character and is just vaguely "beer". Pretty "inoffensive", but boring. Actually - I found it less offensive and easier to drink than the regular MGD.

jwc215, Jan 12, 2009
2.23/5  rDev +24.6%

Okay this one maybe a diet beer if I ever felt the need to loose weight. Overall it was not as watered down as I thought it was. Although it was still very watered down. I guess it could be a good beer for getting really drunk, if you are a fat person.

skeetermoses, Jan 12, 2009
2.15/5  rDev +20.1%

Excessively pale gold, little head.

Aroma is sharply metallic with just a hint of grain.

Taste: seltzer water with a splash of MGD. It's not *bad* compared to some other light macros, but it's incredibly watery and thin.

Drinkability is average for the style -- no off flavors, and not much flavor at all.

shirfan, Jan 07, 2009
2.9/5  rDev +62%

Very little head. High level of carbonation. Clear yellow color, brighter even than many other light beers. What smell there is, is very metallic with only a hint of natural beeriness.

Tastes okay though. Extremely light and easy to drink. Enough generic hoppy/malty flavors to qualify as a beer. I was expecting much worse.

Mouthfeel is what you'd expect, loads of carbonation and quite watery.

Overall though, a good choice for a light beer. Would rather have this than Bud Light or Coors Light, for instance.

jar2574, Jan 03, 2009
1.88/5  rDev +5%

As a matter of curiosity, I tried this while at the in-laws. Beer pours a very pale straw golden color with a wispy head. Not unpleasant to look at. The aroma is very light with a distinct cooked corn characteristic. Essentially void of flavor. What is present is generic malt and corn. A ghost of bitterness but practically none. Light on the palate. If you are into beer with flavor, I would not recommend this.

BeardedBoffin, Dec 29, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Two inches of bright white head that actually leaves a decent lacing at first. The body is transparent and a very light gold color.

S - Light and malty with a fruit punch hint.

T - Meek and disappointing water with malted grain flavor. There's a bitter tinge as well but it's not a good taste.

M - Cold and slightly coarse considering how watered down this sucker is.

~ For a cheap sessionable brew this is not the one. Go for a High Life Light instead.

cdkrenz, Dec 28, 2008
2.58/5  rDev +44.1%

Light straw yellow with a tight fizzy head that goes away fast.
Smell is not terrible. Very light grains.
Taste is of light grains, lighter malt, and a very slight bitterness, flash of lemon even.
Mouthfeel is light carbonated water.
Drinkability is pretty decent. I will say if you are watching your calorie intake, this may be the way to go. Actually one of Miller's better offerings.

Stinkypuss, Dec 27, 2008
1.83/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz can poured into an american pint - Fridge temp - 2008

Appearance: Pours a very clear, transparent light urine color with a 3" tall, foamy white head. The retention is excellent and the beer leaves lots of sticky lace on the glass. Some bubbles actively move to the surface of the beer.

Smell: Like a typical macro lager, but lighter. Extremely faint malt and hop aromas are entangled with a metallic odor. I must concede that it does smell refreshing.

Taste: This beer is quite flavorless. Again, there is a little bit of pale malt and a faint hop flavor, but metal might be the strongest flavor of them all. It might be the closest beer cousin to tonic water.

Mouthfeel: Active and light bodied. This beer could be quite refreshing if you don't mind the complete lack of flavor. Alcohol is undetermined and unoticable.

Drinkability: For me, low calorie, low alcohol, low flavor beers aren't drinkable. Why even bother? It did help wash down some home-made chex mix pretty quickly. Not worth buying.

Risser09, Dec 25, 2008
1.78/5  rDev -0.6%

I have never seen anything like it, this baby is absolutely colorless...almost.Very, very pee yellow with a small white head that fades fast.
Ok, now I am going to be redundant, but no smell either.
Taste is light, faint corn, metal and a touch of hops? I cant taste them, but they have to be in there right? I mean the bottle says its beer.
No good for me, sorry MGD 64.

dmamiano, Dec 12, 2008
1.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Its like a light beer in a can, but it tastes like its straight from the tap! True, but only if the tap is connected to the urinal in the men's room. Pours very light yellow with the same big head. Faint aroma, more metal and corn than the corn syrup nightmare of the regular MGD. Corn-syrup flavor, but with lots of mineral water. Yum.

magictrokini, Dec 10, 2008
1.13/5  rDev -36.9%

pours out of the clear bottle a clear, light golden colour with a thin fizzy head that sticks just a bit from some active carbonation. some sparse lace, also. light corny aroma...nothing offensive. the taste can be best described as corn syrup flavoured seltzer water. it's pretty bad. the mouthfeel is all seltzery and prickly like a club soda. there is no body to speak of. terrible. drinkability is horrible. i had a hard time slugging down one bottle, and i can't imagine this even being thirst quenching on a hot day.

this is a new low in the ultra mega light beer world. putrid.

budgood1, Dec 05, 2008
1.15/5  rDev -35.8%

POurs a clean pale yellow color, with a small white head. In the aroma, very faint, small, sweet malt and a touch of skunky saaz-like hops. In the taste, a small maltiness, but really no flavor at all. A clean and light (or LITE) bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry to a clean aftertaste. Seriously, what was the point. Brewed for the masses and for the people who really don't like beer.

OWSLEY069, Nov 25, 2008
1.78/5  rDev -0.6%

Sun-faded straw yellow beneath three fingers of cotton white foam. I'm impressed that Miller is now able to create decent looking heads, even when barley content is at a bare minimum (Not sure I want to know how they do it, however). The lace looks artificially sticky, like spray-on styrofoam. Still, for a light lager, not bad at all.

This light lager smells like most light lagers: a whiff of musty grain and a hint of something slightly sourish. The only thing keeping it from being offensive is a lack of power. It's hard to be too disappointed with something that's this hard to smell.

MGDL 64 actually has a little flavor. It isn't good flavor, but it's flavor. I don't remember how much Michelob Ultra had in comparison, since my review of that beer was so long ago. For those who care, '64' has an ABV of 2.8%, 64 calories and 2.6 carbs. Ultra is 4.1%, 95 calories and 2.6 carbs. Neither one is worth a damn... but you knew that already.

A slight blip of watery corn make itself known and then quickly slips into oblivion. Damn good thing too. This isn't the kind of flavor profile that you'd want to linger. Hops? No. Just like the nose, there isn't enough here to truly offend.

The mouthfeel is like lightly, slightly harshly carbonated water. Pinch your nose, take a drink and then tell me I'm wrong. With so few carbohydrates, the craptastic mouthfeel was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Miller Genuine Draft Light 64 is as inoffensive to drink as it is offensive to the craft beer drinker's sensibilities. So, BMC, how low can you go? It seems to me that they've now sunk more than low enough with the release of this glorified seltzer water.

BuckeyeNation, Nov 14, 2008
1.43/5  rDev -20.1%

I really don't mind an occasional macro lager so I thought I'd give it a try. But I did come in with low expectations.

Great clarity, but the compliments stop there. This is the lightest yellow color I've ever seen in a beer. Foamy white head. Points awarded because this is roughly how I expect a light lager to look.

Minimal mild malt aroma. If I didn't know there was beer there I would've thought I was smelling air or water. Seriously.

Taste is the same, practically no flavor at all. It really tastes like I would imagine watered down beer to taste. Think 1 part Bud Light to 1 part water.

Mouthfeel is light as can be, small bonus awarded for being to style.

This is just plain bad. If it weren't for being technically to style, it would get all zeros. The single most watered down beer I've ever had.

Drank (as opposed to tasted) on 11/10/08.

tmitch75, Nov 11, 2008
2.15/5  rDev +20.1%

Serving Temperature, 40 degrees. Serving Glassware 12 ounce tulip.

Pours light straw yellow and clear, with an initial strong foamy head and the quickly recedes leaving an initial speckling of lace.

The nose on this is corn, along with a mild citrus (tacos and bacon anyone?).

The taste of this is interesting outside of the devoid of taste but seriously as a low cal, low alcohol beer all I can find is mild citrus in the form of grapefruit and orange hops. The finish is the expected malty with a mild mouthfeel.

Not one I will seek out again, but I guess its not complete crap *personally I prefer non-macros.

Cheers

mnapier, Nov 05, 2008
2.5/5  rDev +39.7%

Now in looking at reviews, I actually rated it as I would American Light Lager.

A: Clear, bright light straw yellow color. With a vigorous pour, two finger fizzy stark white head that dissipated, but not as rapidly as I expected. Thin, even lacing.

S: Some wet grains and a bit of a granny smith tartness (maybe?). Very hard to pick up anything here.

T: A very faint, crisp, dry sweetness. I don't know if I pick up anything I describe as malty. Nothing offensive or off-tastes which I bet is mighty difficulult in a beer with so little flavor.

M: Very thin, very carbonated. Distinct dry, sharp feel.

D: Very drinkable and refreshing. This, along with appearance would be its strengths.

Haybeerman, Oct 21, 2008
2.03/5  rDev +13.4%

I'm really torn on whether to rate this as a C- and say it was a suitable to style, VERY LIGHT macro lager, or if I should just rank it an F because it hardly has any taste.

It's super pale and clear. The thing is, I'm not cutting them slack on having no flavor because they achieved only 64 calories in here. The taste still sucks regardless of it's in the style of a "64 calorie light macro lager." I don't care if that is "to style" or not. This was basically like drinking a bottle of soda water. At least there wasn't anything offensive about it.

Sad thing was, with my mexican food I actually drank this beer fairly fast... it wasn't offensive. Just lacked almost everything.

MiScusi, Oct 15, 2008
1.02/5  rDev -43%

This is an awful beer. Not that it tastes bad, it actually has no taste whatsoever.

Pours pale clearish straw, some artificial co2 bubbles and head hang precariously to the side of the glass.

Almost no aroma at all. Slight fizziness, like soda is all I can smell. The first taste is of, lightness, almost no trace of malt, hops, or even corn adjuncts. Just fizziness like alka seltzer.

One positive about this is that it is so unobtrusive that it is better than some ultra light beers. It's that there is nothing in there to be offensive. There is nothing in there to be tasty either.

They ruined a great light beer and made it this. Shame on miller.

psugrad98, Oct 08, 2008
1.15/5  rDev -35.8%

Poured into a pint glass, barely yellow with a foamy white, surprisingly decent sized head. At first. Smelled nothing like beer to me, though; more like dirty dishwater. So imagine my surprise when I discovered it tasted more like *clean* dishwater. Thin, watery (with apologies to water), and not worth finishing.

Rzzzzz, Oct 04, 2008

Appearance: Pale pale yellow, a shade lighter and it could be mistaken for water. The head crackles and pops like the head on a glass of soda, and lasts about as long. No lacing, not even a ring remains 30 seconds after the pour.

Smell: Faintly grainy with some very subtle malty sweetness and a hint of cooked corn.

Taste & mouthfeel: Carbonated mineral water. I can't actually taste malt or hops (or anything really), though there's a faint (VERY faint) sweetness, like someone mixed a little white sugar into a club soda. Carbonation is hilariously excessive and bloating, making this a chore to drink despite the 64 calories.

Is this really what American macro beer has come to? Beer that doesn't even taste like beer? What the hell's the point?

largadeer, Oct 03, 2008
2.38/5  rDev +33%

Impartial review of a light lager here:

Very light yellow crystal clear body (darker than bud light, lighter than Miller Lite with a decent albeit thin head and quite a bit of lacing.
A
Smell takes a nosedive, pun intended. The only balance is between hop skunk and sulfur, but the sulfur wins ever so slightly.

I know people say this a lot, but there is only a ghost of malt flavor here. You have to really look for it in the first few sips, and I'm guessing halfway through bottle #2 you wouldn't taste a thing. I'm not impressed, but since there's no taste to speak of there's nothing offensive here.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated and pretty drying. Right on par.

I had to try this beer because of all the hype surrounding it. As far as super-diet beers go, I prefer Beck's lightest offering over this. I really wouldn't even be satisfied with this as a lawnmower beer, but for what it's supposed to be I would suppose it hits the mark. Just not for me. I'm not one to promote binge drinking, but since I had to buy a 12 pack to try it, I may see how many it takes to catch a buzz if I drink quick, as the ABV is not listed. It's got to be around 3-3.5%, though.

bboven, Sep 18, 2008
Miller 64 from Miller Brewing Co.