Miller 64 - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller 64Miller 64

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  2.80% ABV

(Beer added by: ZAP on 06-04-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller 64 Alström Bros
bboven

2.38/5  rDev +33%

Impartial review of a light lager here:

Very light yellow crystal clear body (darker than bud light, lighter than Miller Lite with a decent albeit thin head and quite a bit of lacing.
A
Smell takes a nosedive, pun intended. The only balance is between hop skunk and sulfur, but the sulfur wins ever so slightly.

I know people say this a lot, but there is only a ghost of malt flavor here. You have to really look for it in the first few sips, and I'm guessing halfway through bottle #2 you wouldn't taste a thing. I'm not impressed, but since there's no taste to speak of there's nothing offensive here.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated and pretty drying. Right on par.

I had to try this beer because of all the hype surrounding it. As far as super-diet beers go, I prefer Beck's lightest offering over this. I really wouldn't even be satisfied with this as a lawnmower beer, but for what it's supposed to be I would suppose it hits the mark. Just not for me. I'm not one to promote binge drinking, but since I had to buy a 12 pack to try it, I may see how many it takes to catch a buzz if I drink quick, as the ABV is not listed. It's got to be around 3-3.5%, though.

09-18-2008 22:04:11 | More by bboven
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.73/5  rDev +52.5%

I have generally preferred the Miller products over Anheuser-Busch and Coors products, so this review will be relative to comparable products released by similar companies. This beer pours with an abundance of carbonation above a thinly-straw color; lighter than Lite, but not as pale as Michelob Ultra. The lack of protiens and meaninful dextrins leaves the beer a touch fizzy and lacking in head retention past the initial medium formation. Aromas are as part-grain, part-malt as any other light lagers, impressive with the low calorie sacrifices. Flavors are much the same with good cleanliness, no apparent off-flavors, but no meaninful complexity either. Texutres also recognize the fair malt base, but the grain astringency keeps the beer from gaining points on mouthfeel. Finishes with the same part-grain, part-malt flavor that is evident throughout. Fleeting aftertaste and waters quickly. Not a beer that I would go to often, but when I need to quench a thirst, not think about the beer, or don't appreciate paying $5.50 for an average Pale Ale at the local sports bar during the game.

09-12-2008 13:48:01 | More by BEERchitect
Drew966

2.1/5  rDev +17.3%

Miller Genuine Draft Light 64 pours a pale yellow with a thick white head from a clear twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is mildly grainy, typical industrial lager smell. The flavor is mild, sweet grain is present, just barely and that's about it. This one is particularly light and lacking in flavor.

09-02-2008 00:00:37 | More by Drew966
cjgator3

1.95/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a very light straw yellow color with a thin fizzy white head.

S- The aroma is pretty non-existent. There are just hints of beer flavors in the aroma, but it pretty hard to pick up on them at times.

T- The best way I can describe the taste is a water downed Miller Light. I never though I could taste a beer with less flavor than some of the ultra-light lagers, but this one takes the cake. I guess the good thing about this beer is that there really aren't any offensive or off-flavors, but that is probably because it is about the closest beer that I have tried to water.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated with a sharp prickly feel.

D- I will give it a high score on drinkability because I could easily consume a high quantity of these without getting the least bit drunk. However, I don't think I really would want to as I think I would just rather either a water or a beer with a little more flavor.

I am not lying when I say that MGD 64 resembles bottled water. Not a horrible beer in the sense of tasting bad, but definitely a bad beer in terms of lack of taste. I will pass on this offering in the future.

08-31-2008 23:17:51 | More by cjgator3
BDIMike

2.65/5  rDev +48%

The beer pours a very clear golden fizzy color. The color is very thin, though, looks almost like it is watered down.
There is not very much to the smell. A lot of malt and biscuit smell. The smell has little to no hops at all.
The taste is actually a lot like a watered-down version of MGD. I like MGD out of the bottle, so it isn't awful, but very light taste. It's almost like someone poured 75% MGD and 25% water.
This beer is very thin with a lot of carbonation on the tongue.
The drinkability on this beer is very high because it is easy to take down. It is almost too easy too drink as I have a feeling I know a couple of people who could drink a case of these and not feel a thing.

08-30-2008 01:22:54 | More by BDIMike
flaminghomer

Indiana

2.25/5  rDev +25.7%

This beer is a product of board room meetings trying to identify target markets. That target market is me, a beer drinker who wants to eat healthy and keep drinking beer without getting fat. 64 calories is what you get and should be the name of the beer. I enjoy Miller High Life and consider it to be a great value but this beer doesn't come close. It has been filtered and filtered again until nothing was left but water, alcohol, and 64 calories. This website says it is 4.7% alcohol. I'm finding that hard to believe, it can't be more than 2.3%. I'd buy it again if it gave me a buzz, but it doesn't.

08-26-2008 05:56:14 | More by flaminghomer
ChrisCage

Alberta (Canada)

2.2/5  rDev +22.9%

A- I was in Montana and picked up some of these to try, as I'm a fan of MGD, and contrary to popular opinion, I like the clear bottles....they're something different! I gave this a decent pour but it fails to produce much of a head, and what does show up quickly dissolves into nothing...not even a thin ring! Color is quite frankly of piss and there's really no lacing to speak of. Looks fairly carbonated as well. The bottle and clean labeling is what gives this category some marks.

S- Kinda skunky like MGD, but not as forceful. There's also some dusty grain smells and not much else....however at least there is an aroma of sorts I guess, so nothing much to write about here but I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

T- Whoa, for a moment I thought that I was drinking one of those flavored waters, but then the very mild malt flavor reminded me that this was a beer. I could really notice the clean rice/corn tastes, but really there isn't much of a taste to be had here....I guess that's what 64 calories will get you though.

M- Well they aren't lying when they say that this is the lightest beer that is available. Very watery with a fairly heavy carbonation best describes this brew...along the lines of club soda.

D- Full marks here because quite frankly I could drink this all night! Very refreshing and the perfect summer beer. It's light, crisp and doesn't leave any heavy tastes on the palate. Plus a person doesn't have to feel guilty about putting back several, with the low calorie count and all. A great alternative to a soda!

08-20-2008 01:53:13 | More by ChrisCage
Dubbercody

Washington

Why do I try this stuff that gets left over from parties...I must be a masochist. Thank you Sarah for bringing (and leaving) yet another beer sample.

Very pale yellow....quickly falling head.

Tastes like Pellegrino, mixed with a splash of beer, with a funky (and not the good kind) aftertaste. Skip it, unless it's left at your party, and even then, skip it.

08-19-2008 14:49:45 | More by Dubbercody
pweis909

2.1/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours pale and fizzy from the can. Initially, this gave off a hydrogen sulfide rotten egg sort of smell that was off putting, but not quite offensive enough to be awful. This smell gave way to an odor that reminded me of playdough. I've never had that before in a beer. It is faint, so not truly offensive, but weird. I've had two cans of this stuff in the last week and these aromas have been present both times, so it is not some freaky set of circumstances. The taste initally was slightly sweet and grainy, with an emphasis on slightly. Ultimately, the taste is dominated by carbonation bite. The mouthfeel is what you expect in a light beer. If you are looking for something big, obviously this isn't it. While it is drinkable, even if one grants consideration for the light beer style guidelines, it just fails to impress.

08-13-2008 23:13:58 | More by pweis909
Vancer

1.63/5  rDev -8.9%

Oh my, friend of my daughter brought over a cube of these club sodas, err, beer. She knows I like trying beers, so she offers one up.

Well, sure, I say, I smile and thank her for the beer.

Now, sneaking in a review - but there is nothing to review. This is carbonated club soda that somehow has an underlying beer taste. No redeeming value at all, except, or course, only 64 calories.

Even the gal said this is no good; she's going back to Coors light. Oh my, still have work to do.

08-03-2008 22:46:45 | More by Vancer
klintok21

2.8/5  rDev +56.4%

Well, it's a cheap light beer. What else could you expect? Personally I like it as my cheap alternative but not much more. It has a pretty solid taste and not to much carbonation, leading to easy drinkability. Personally I hate hate hate high carbonation so I always aim low. I almost swear there is no alcohol in it... either that or my tolerance is through the roof since I am used to drinking for flavorful beers with an ABV content of 7-8%+ (I think MGD64 is only 4% at most)
Anyway, worth taking a dive into if your looking for a cheap light beer to stock the fridge with.

07-24-2008 04:41:42 | More by klintok21
SeattleSteveK

Washington

4.65/5  rDev +159.8%

This is as much a BEER as a Double IPA (malty hop bomb). !

It is, what it is.

Some beer lovers like to remember how, when the Mayflower landed they were out of beer and set up a brewery as one of their first endeavors.

So, similar to Mayflower beer, this is flavorful, purified water -- that is pretty good !

I recommend the can (keg) version. I've never been a fan of Miller's clear bottles (or Corona's). Ice cold cans and on Sale !

Physical exertion is optional, but you can pound 2-3 of these cans and replenish your fluids with purified water with a slight beer taste. I'd much rather have one of these than a "Dasani" (coca-cola mineral water), and at 192 calories it probably has less calories (and more satisfaction) than 2 stale cookies or one Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (i.e. during a hot day or after heavy physical exertion).

3 % ABV (2.8%) per 12 oz. (355 ml) and if you pound 3 cans (1 ltr. [where's my stein? ]) ... you've probably got less ABV than that double IPA (malty hop bomb) and calories and your kidneys and blood stream will love you ! :-)

Water for your body ... and after 3 cans and some heavy exertion, a little bit of a buzz -- What a Perfect World !

I'm hoping they'll let us put this in the coke machines at work; And/or the O'Doul's or Busch N/A.

OK. Granted ... with the O'Doul's or Busch N/A, ... you'll get more TASTE and less (about 0.5 %) ABV, but the "64" has purified water, 1/2 or more than the calories of a Coca-cola, and a little bit of a buzz ... so ...

Miller Genuine Draft Light 64 -- is where it's at !

It looks like a faux beer when poured. For a "high tech" beer, it's better than a malt beverage Mojito.

"Lighten" up ! For gawd's sake, buy it on sale and don't pay too much for it ( like Perrier ).

Athletes and Kidney Doctors, Rejoice ! I like it better than Michelob Ultra, and it's "less filling & tastes great".

(ok, maybe that's a stretch, ... but I couldn't resist :-)

07-20-2008 05:17:49 | More by SeattleSteveK
feloniousmonk

1.02/5  rDev -43%

64 (sixty-four) is the natural number following 63 and preceding 65.

Clear faint yellow appearance, slim white, soapy head, ...average look, not much to say.

Sixty-four is the square of 8, the cube of 4, and the sixth power of 2. It is the smallest number with exactly seven divisors. It is the lowest positive power of two that is adjacent to neither a Mersenne prime nor a Fermat prime. 64 is the sum of Euler's totient function for the first fourteen integers. It is also a dodecagonal number and a centered triangular number.

Aroma: wet air. Faint cereal scent. Mostly moistness. Hollow.

64 is a superperfect number - a number such that σ(σ(n))=2n.
In 8-bit home computers, a common shorthand for the Commodore 64

Bleeech!!! Awful! A wreck! Messy carbonation, and no flavor whatsoever. Nothing. Charged water, and water. Like Zap said, no beer flavor. Just water and harsh, horrible ...the less said the better.

Number of hexagrams in the I Ching.
Number of sexual positions in the Kama Sutra.
Number of demons in the Dictionnaire Infernal.

Texture: none.
Body: none.
Drinkability: pass. Having no flavor, you are not incited to "enjoy." Terrible.

What else can we say about 64?
The code for international direct dial calls to New Zealand
The designation of US Interstate 64, a freeway from Missouri to Virginia
The designation of U.S. Route 64, a highway from Arizona to North Carolina
The subject of the Beatles song "When I'm Sixty-Four".
The amount of crayons in the popular Crayola 64 pack.

and one crappy-ass offering from Miller Brewing Company.

(thanks to Wikipedia!)

06-09-2008 03:26:58 | More by feloniousmonk
ZAP

1.02/5  rDev -43%

I am a lover of craft beers but by no means do I turn my nose up to a macro beer from time to time...I enjoy kicking back pitchers of Labatts, Miller High Life or Pabst or whatever is on tap with the boys after hockey. I was interested in finding out if Miller somehow made a drinkable beer with only 64 calories. If it measured up to even the old MGD light I would probably purchase it from time to time.

Unfortunately this is about as bad as it gets for a light beer. Tastes like a seltzer water mixed with MGD...about 98 percent seltzer water and 2% MGD....just a real nasty charged up water feel to it...pours an excessive white head...very watery flavor and feel....this is bad....I've seriously had NA beers with more taste...seriously....It has no beer taste whatsoever..

Personally I think it needs at least 5 more calories to add some flavor and then they could call it Miler Genuine Draft 69...then they'd be on to something.

06-04-2008 04:31:13 | More by ZAP
rye726

Colorado

1.38/5  rDev -22.9%

One thing this beers has going for it is there is really no flavor. That is about it though. A clear yellow color with the usual bad fizzy head. No flavor or aroma besides the old grainy malts and grassy hops. A light fizzy body finishes me off. This one goes down the drain.

05-14-2008 03:51:24 | More by rye726
BeerManDan

2.05/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured a light yellow with a fair amount of foam that dissapated with in a few seconds. The smell and aroma was very weak. The taste was also weak and had sort of a watery bitterness while drinking it. Not much difference between this Light Lager and the others. They all seem to be the same. Drank this swill because I was visiting a friend and couldn't be a snob by turning him down!

05-12-2008 04:42:36 | More by BeerManDan
giblet

1.68/5  rDev -6.1%

poor light watery beer. looks light yeller. little head and average carbonation. tastes grain and water. this is not a very good light beer. macro lights are generally watery versions of light watery beer. this fits that description.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

04-17-2008 17:53:38 | More by giblet
WJVII

2.05/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer was left at my home by one of my wife's friends (who is watching calories). I say why drink beer if you are watching your calories, but that is another story. On to the beer, poured into a pint glass (even though the bottle is clear). Straw color with almost no white head, no lacing. This beer smells of some corn and grainy malt. The taste has a corn flavor, carbonation leaves an odd aftertaste. This beer is too watered down for its own good. Not impressed, but wasn't expecting much.

04-05-2008 18:30:09 | More by WJVII
berserker256

2.68/5  rDev +49.7%

This is the only beer that I've ever reviewed that I didn't pour into a glass. The bottle's clear so screw it. I can see the clear golden yellow appearance and thin white head. Maybe I could smell it better if poured into a glass seeing that I don't smell much here. It smells better than some other macro light beers that I've smelled. Although it smells as if lesser fermentables were used in the brewing... I've smelled worse. Pretty clean non-bitter taste. One of the better macro light beers out there, but not a very good BEER beer.

04-01-2008 20:19:31 | More by berserker256
zeff80

Missouri

1.73/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Poured out a clear, golden yellow color with a small, white head. No lace.

S - It smelled of corn, grain adjuncts and some light maltiness.

T - It tasted of corn and grain adjuncts. It was too watery tasting for a light beer.

M - It was fairly thin but smooth. A very light-bodied beer.

D - This is fairly typical of the style...not very satisfying or very tasty.

02-24-2008 18:50:44 | More by zeff80
clayrock81

2.05/5  rDev +14.5%

Had this in the can and didn't bother pouring it. Smell is heavyish, not airy like most light macros but there really is nothing there but some adjuncts like corn and maybe some barley. The mouthfeel is fine and slick, very smooth. That is because this stuff has almost flavor whatsoever. It isn't even bad, it is non-descript. Just nothing to note of, and the only reason I drank this is because my cheap beer buddy is on a diet. I should've just had a glass of water.

02-12-2008 19:52:04 | More by clayrock81
morimech

2.25/5  rDev +25.7%

Very pale straw color with a vigorous white head that quickly disipates to a thin film. Some sticky lacing is left behind. Very bubbly and active.

It smells heavy of adjuncts. Mostly corn but there is a surprising fruity scent on finish. Nothing great but not terribly obnoxious smelling like many light beers.

Very weak beer-like flavor. Not much else to add. A bit fizzy and light bodied. I would think it is extremely low calorie. This is a quantity over quality beer but at its price point I can think of a couple of other macro lagers I would pick up instead of this one.

12-15-2007 19:28:54 | More by morimech
witster18

Tennessee

2.1/5  rDev +17.3%

right there in the Mich Lt/Bud Lt mold. High on carbonation. decent appearance for a light beer. To much corn in the taste..there's a twangy fruit...but I think it's just sour corn. Head is whispy and leaves quickly. Crisp finish makes it quite drinkable although this beer is truly unremarkable. Haven't had shiner lt....but to me Mich Lt has a slight edge on the lt macro catagory. avoid unless it's -8.99 or unless you just want to feel like you're saving calories.

12-13-2007 21:40:08 | More by witster18
scaliasux

1.43/5  rDev -20.1%

This is the "reformulated" MGD64

Appearance - Pale yellow. Clear and bubbly. A vigorous pour results in a very tall head that quickly dissipates to a thin film. Looks like a regular macro light.

Smell - Very little aroma at all, just a little corny malt. Not real appetizing.

Taste - Little to no beer character. Appears to have some corny sweetness. Mostly tastes like a slightly off lemon-flavored seltzer water. Quite similar to Michelob Ultra. (Which is probably what they were shooting for.)

Mouthfeel - Light and highly carbonated.

Drinkability - Bad beer that lacks character. I'm kind of offended that this beer is being marketed in my hometown (Madison, WI) - I think we're a little better than that.

08-24-2007 04:45:02 | More by scaliasux
Monkeyknife

Missouri

2.42/5  rDev +35.2%

Poured from the bottle a clear light yellow with a bit of a head and very, very minimal lacing.

Smells a bit grainy with a light sulfur note.

Tries to present some flavor but falls short. No hops, Hardly a malt presence.

Light, crisp, body with plenty of carbonation.

This tastes about like every other macro out there. Easy-to-drink out in the heat but not much of an experience. Enjoy if your short on options.

07-15-2007 03:09:14 | More by Monkeyknife
Miller 64 from Miller Brewing Co.