1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Miller 64 - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller 64Miller 64

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  2.80% ABV

(Beer added by: ZAP on 06-04-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller 64 Alström Bros
2.9/5  rDev +62%

Very little head. High level of carbonation. Clear yellow color, brighter even than many other light beers. What smell there is, is very metallic with only a hint of natural beeriness.

Tastes okay though. Extremely light and easy to drink. Enough generic hoppy/malty flavors to qualify as a beer. I was expecting much worse.

Mouthfeel is what you'd expect, loads of carbonation and quite watery.

Overall though, a good choice for a light beer. Would rather have this than Bud Light or Coors Light, for instance.

jar2574, Jan 03, 2009
1.88/5  rDev +5%

As a matter of curiosity, I tried this while at the in-laws. Beer pours a very pale straw golden color with a wispy head. Not unpleasant to look at. The aroma is very light with a distinct cooked corn characteristic. Essentially void of flavor. What is present is generic malt and corn. A ghost of bitterness but practically none. Light on the palate. If you are into beer with flavor, I would not recommend this.

BeardedBoffin, Dec 29, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Two inches of bright white head that actually leaves a decent lacing at first. The body is transparent and a very light gold color.

S - Light and malty with a fruit punch hint.

T - Meek and disappointing water with malted grain flavor. There's a bitter tinge as well but it's not a good taste.

M - Cold and slightly coarse considering how watered down this sucker is.

~ For a cheap sessionable brew this is not the one. Go for a High Life Light instead.

cdkrenz, Dec 28, 2008
2.58/5  rDev +44.1%

Light straw yellow with a tight fizzy head that goes away fast.
Smell is not terrible. Very light grains.
Taste is of light grains, lighter malt, and a very slight bitterness, flash of lemon even.
Mouthfeel is light carbonated water.
Drinkability is pretty decent. I will say if you are watching your calorie intake, this may be the way to go. Actually one of Miller's better offerings.

Stinkypuss, Dec 27, 2008
1.83/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz can poured into an american pint - Fridge temp - 2008

Appearance: Pours a very clear, transparent light urine color with a 3" tall, foamy white head. The retention is excellent and the beer leaves lots of sticky lace on the glass. Some bubbles actively move to the surface of the beer.

Smell: Like a typical macro lager, but lighter. Extremely faint malt and hop aromas are entangled with a metallic odor. I must concede that it does smell refreshing.

Taste: This beer is quite flavorless. Again, there is a little bit of pale malt and a faint hop flavor, but metal might be the strongest flavor of them all. It might be the closest beer cousin to tonic water.

Mouthfeel: Active and light bodied. This beer could be quite refreshing if you don't mind the complete lack of flavor. Alcohol is undetermined and unoticable.

Drinkability: For me, low calorie, low alcohol, low flavor beers aren't drinkable. Why even bother? It did help wash down some home-made chex mix pretty quickly. Not worth buying.

Risser09, Dec 25, 2008
1.78/5  rDev -0.6%

I have never seen anything like it, this baby is absolutely colorless...almost.Very, very pee yellow with a small white head that fades fast.
Ok, now I am going to be redundant, but no smell either.
Taste is light, faint corn, metal and a touch of hops? I cant taste them, but they have to be in there right? I mean the bottle says its beer.
No good for me, sorry MGD 64.

dmamiano, Dec 12, 2008
1.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Its like a light beer in a can, but it tastes like its straight from the tap! True, but only if the tap is connected to the urinal in the men's room. Pours very light yellow with the same big head. Faint aroma, more metal and corn than the corn syrup nightmare of the regular MGD. Corn-syrup flavor, but with lots of mineral water. Yum.

magictrokini, Dec 10, 2008
1.13/5  rDev -36.9%

pours out of the clear bottle a clear, light golden colour with a thin fizzy head that sticks just a bit from some active carbonation. some sparse lace, also. light corny aroma...nothing offensive. the taste can be best described as corn syrup flavoured seltzer water. it's pretty bad. the mouthfeel is all seltzery and prickly like a club soda. there is no body to speak of. terrible. drinkability is horrible. i had a hard time slugging down one bottle, and i can't imagine this even being thirst quenching on a hot day.

this is a new low in the ultra mega light beer world. putrid.

budgood1, Dec 05, 2008
1.15/5  rDev -35.8%

POurs a clean pale yellow color, with a small white head. In the aroma, very faint, small, sweet malt and a touch of skunky saaz-like hops. In the taste, a small maltiness, but really no flavor at all. A clean and light (or LITE) bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry to a clean aftertaste. Seriously, what was the point. Brewed for the masses and for the people who really don't like beer.

OWSLEY069, Nov 25, 2008
1.78/5  rDev -0.6%

Sun-faded straw yellow beneath three fingers of cotton white foam. I'm impressed that Miller is now able to create decent looking heads, even when barley content is at a bare minimum (Not sure I want to know how they do it, however). The lace looks artificially sticky, like spray-on styrofoam. Still, for a light lager, not bad at all.

This light lager smells like most light lagers: a whiff of musty grain and a hint of something slightly sourish. The only thing keeping it from being offensive is a lack of power. It's hard to be too disappointed with something that's this hard to smell.

MGDL 64 actually has a little flavor. It isn't good flavor, but it's flavor. I don't remember how much Michelob Ultra had in comparison, since my review of that beer was so long ago. For those who care, '64' has an ABV of 2.8%, 64 calories and 2.6 carbs. Ultra is 4.1%, 95 calories and 2.6 carbs. Neither one is worth a damn... but you knew that already.

A slight blip of watery corn make itself known and then quickly slips into oblivion. Damn good thing too. This isn't the kind of flavor profile that you'd want to linger. Hops? No. Just like the nose, there isn't enough here to truly offend.

The mouthfeel is like lightly, slightly harshly carbonated water. Pinch your nose, take a drink and then tell me I'm wrong. With so few carbohydrates, the craptastic mouthfeel was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

Miller Genuine Draft Light 64 is as inoffensive to drink as it is offensive to the craft beer drinker's sensibilities. So, BMC, how low can you go? It seems to me that they've now sunk more than low enough with the release of this glorified seltzer water.

BuckeyeNation, Nov 14, 2008
1.43/5  rDev -20.1%

I really don't mind an occasional macro lager so I thought I'd give it a try. But I did come in with low expectations.

Great clarity, but the compliments stop there. This is the lightest yellow color I've ever seen in a beer. Foamy white head. Points awarded because this is roughly how I expect a light lager to look.

Minimal mild malt aroma. If I didn't know there was beer there I would've thought I was smelling air or water. Seriously.

Taste is the same, practically no flavor at all. It really tastes like I would imagine watered down beer to taste. Think 1 part Bud Light to 1 part water.

Mouthfeel is light as can be, small bonus awarded for being to style.

This is just plain bad. If it weren't for being technically to style, it would get all zeros. The single most watered down beer I've ever had.

Drank (as opposed to tasted) on 11/10/08.

tmitch75, Nov 11, 2008
2.15/5  rDev +20.1%

Serving Temperature, 40 degrees. Serving Glassware 12 ounce tulip.

Pours light straw yellow and clear, with an initial strong foamy head and the quickly recedes leaving an initial speckling of lace.

The nose on this is corn, along with a mild citrus (tacos and bacon anyone?).

The taste of this is interesting outside of the devoid of taste but seriously as a low cal, low alcohol beer all I can find is mild citrus in the form of grapefruit and orange hops. The finish is the expected malty with a mild mouthfeel.

Not one I will seek out again, but I guess its not complete crap *personally I prefer non-macros.

Cheers

mnapier, Nov 05, 2008
2.5/5  rDev +39.7%

Now in looking at reviews, I actually rated it as I would American Light Lager.

A: Clear, bright light straw yellow color. With a vigorous pour, two finger fizzy stark white head that dissipated, but not as rapidly as I expected. Thin, even lacing.

S: Some wet grains and a bit of a granny smith tartness (maybe?). Very hard to pick up anything here.

T: A very faint, crisp, dry sweetness. I don't know if I pick up anything I describe as malty. Nothing offensive or off-tastes which I bet is mighty difficulult in a beer with so little flavor.

M: Very thin, very carbonated. Distinct dry, sharp feel.

D: Very drinkable and refreshing. This, along with appearance would be its strengths.

Haybeerman, Oct 21, 2008
2.03/5  rDev +13.4%

I'm really torn on whether to rate this as a C- and say it was a suitable to style, VERY LIGHT macro lager, or if I should just rank it an F because it hardly has any taste.

It's super pale and clear. The thing is, I'm not cutting them slack on having no flavor because they achieved only 64 calories in here. The taste still sucks regardless of it's in the style of a "64 calorie light macro lager." I don't care if that is "to style" or not. This was basically like drinking a bottle of soda water. At least there wasn't anything offensive about it.

Sad thing was, with my mexican food I actually drank this beer fairly fast... it wasn't offensive. Just lacked almost everything.

MiScusi, Oct 15, 2008
1.02/5  rDev -43%

This is an awful beer. Not that it tastes bad, it actually has no taste whatsoever.

Pours pale clearish straw, some artificial co2 bubbles and head hang precariously to the side of the glass.

Almost no aroma at all. Slight fizziness, like soda is all I can smell. The first taste is of, lightness, almost no trace of malt, hops, or even corn adjuncts. Just fizziness like alka seltzer.

One positive about this is that it is so unobtrusive that it is better than some ultra light beers. It's that there is nothing in there to be offensive. There is nothing in there to be tasty either.

They ruined a great light beer and made it this. Shame on miller.

psugrad98, Oct 08, 2008
1.15/5  rDev -35.8%

Poured into a pint glass, barely yellow with a foamy white, surprisingly decent sized head. At first. Smelled nothing like beer to me, though; more like dirty dishwater. So imagine my surprise when I discovered it tasted more like *clean* dishwater. Thin, watery (with apologies to water), and not worth finishing.

Rzzzzz, Oct 04, 2008

Appearance: Pale pale yellow, a shade lighter and it could be mistaken for water. The head crackles and pops like the head on a glass of soda, and lasts about as long. No lacing, not even a ring remains 30 seconds after the pour.

Smell: Faintly grainy with some very subtle malty sweetness and a hint of cooked corn.

Taste & mouthfeel: Carbonated mineral water. I can't actually taste malt or hops (or anything really), though there's a faint (VERY faint) sweetness, like someone mixed a little white sugar into a club soda. Carbonation is hilariously excessive and bloating, making this a chore to drink despite the 64 calories.

Is this really what American macro beer has come to? Beer that doesn't even taste like beer? What the hell's the point?

largadeer, Oct 03, 2008
2.38/5  rDev +33%

Impartial review of a light lager here:

Very light yellow crystal clear body (darker than bud light, lighter than Miller Lite with a decent albeit thin head and quite a bit of lacing.
A
Smell takes a nosedive, pun intended. The only balance is between hop skunk and sulfur, but the sulfur wins ever so slightly.

I know people say this a lot, but there is only a ghost of malt flavor here. You have to really look for it in the first few sips, and I'm guessing halfway through bottle #2 you wouldn't taste a thing. I'm not impressed, but since there's no taste to speak of there's nothing offensive here.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated and pretty drying. Right on par.

I had to try this beer because of all the hype surrounding it. As far as super-diet beers go, I prefer Beck's lightest offering over this. I really wouldn't even be satisfied with this as a lawnmower beer, but for what it's supposed to be I would suppose it hits the mark. Just not for me. I'm not one to promote binge drinking, but since I had to buy a 12 pack to try it, I may see how many it takes to catch a buzz if I drink quick, as the ABV is not listed. It's got to be around 3-3.5%, though.

bboven, Sep 18, 2008
2.73/5  rDev +52.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I have generally preferred the Miller products over Anheuser-Busch and Coors products, so this review will be relative to comparable products released by similar companies. This beer pours with an abundance of carbonation above a thinly-straw color; lighter than Lite, but not as pale as Michelob Ultra. The lack of protiens and meaninful dextrins leaves the beer a touch fizzy and lacking in head retention past the initial medium formation. Aromas are as part-grain, part-malt as any other light lagers, impressive with the low calorie sacrifices. Flavors are much the same with good cleanliness, no apparent off-flavors, but no meaninful complexity either. Texutres also recognize the fair malt base, but the grain astringency keeps the beer from gaining points on mouthfeel. Finishes with the same part-grain, part-malt flavor that is evident throughout. Fleeting aftertaste and waters quickly. Not a beer that I would go to often, but when I need to quench a thirst, not think about the beer, or don't appreciate paying $5.50 for an average Pale Ale at the local sports bar during the game.

BEERchitect, Sep 12, 2008
2.1/5  rDev +17.3%

Miller Genuine Draft Light 64 pours a pale yellow with a thick white head from a clear twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is mildly grainy, typical industrial lager smell. The flavor is mild, sweet grain is present, just barely and that's about it. This one is particularly light and lacking in flavor.

Drew966, Sep 02, 2008
1.95/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a very light straw yellow color with a thin fizzy white head.

S- The aroma is pretty non-existent. There are just hints of beer flavors in the aroma, but it pretty hard to pick up on them at times.

T- The best way I can describe the taste is a water downed Miller Light. I never though I could taste a beer with less flavor than some of the ultra-light lagers, but this one takes the cake. I guess the good thing about this beer is that there really aren't any offensive or off-flavors, but that is probably because it is about the closest beer that I have tried to water.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied and highly carbonated with a sharp prickly feel.

D- I will give it a high score on drinkability because I could easily consume a high quantity of these without getting the least bit drunk. However, I don't think I really would want to as I think I would just rather either a water or a beer with a little more flavor.

I am not lying when I say that MGD 64 resembles bottled water. Not a horrible beer in the sense of tasting bad, but definitely a bad beer in terms of lack of taste. I will pass on this offering in the future.

cjgator3, Sep 01, 2008
2.65/5  rDev +48%

The beer pours a very clear golden fizzy color. The color is very thin, though, looks almost like it is watered down.
There is not very much to the smell. A lot of malt and biscuit smell. The smell has little to no hops at all.
The taste is actually a lot like a watered-down version of MGD. I like MGD out of the bottle, so it isn't awful, but very light taste. It's almost like someone poured 75% MGD and 25% water.
This beer is very thin with a lot of carbonation on the tongue.
The drinkability on this beer is very high because it is easy to take down. It is almost too easy too drink as I have a feeling I know a couple of people who could drink a case of these and not feel a thing.

BDIMike, Aug 30, 2008
2.25/5  rDev +25.7%

This beer is a product of board room meetings trying to identify target markets. That target market is me, a beer drinker who wants to eat healthy and keep drinking beer without getting fat. 64 calories is what you get and should be the name of the beer. I enjoy Miller High Life and consider it to be a great value but this beer doesn't come close. It has been filtered and filtered again until nothing was left but water, alcohol, and 64 calories. This website says it is 4.7% alcohol. I'm finding that hard to believe, it can't be more than 2.3%. I'd buy it again if it gave me a buzz, but it doesn't.

flaminghomer, Aug 26, 2008
2.2/5  rDev +22.9%

A- I was in Montana and picked up some of these to try, as I'm a fan of MGD, and contrary to popular opinion, I like the clear bottles....they're something different! I gave this a decent pour but it fails to produce much of a head, and what does show up quickly dissolves into nothing...not even a thin ring! Color is quite frankly of piss and there's really no lacing to speak of. Looks fairly carbonated as well. The bottle and clean labeling is what gives this category some marks.

S- Kinda skunky like MGD, but not as forceful. There's also some dusty grain smells and not much else....however at least there is an aroma of sorts I guess, so nothing much to write about here but I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

T- Whoa, for a moment I thought that I was drinking one of those flavored waters, but then the very mild malt flavor reminded me that this was a beer. I could really notice the clean rice/corn tastes, but really there isn't much of a taste to be had here....I guess that's what 64 calories will get you though.

M- Well they aren't lying when they say that this is the lightest beer that is available. Very watery with a fairly heavy carbonation best describes this brew...along the lines of club soda.

D- Full marks here because quite frankly I could drink this all night! Very refreshing and the perfect summer beer. It's light, crisp and doesn't leave any heavy tastes on the palate. Plus a person doesn't have to feel guilty about putting back several, with the low calorie count and all. A great alternative to a soda!

ChrisCage, Aug 20, 2008

Why do I try this stuff that gets left over from parties...I must be a masochist. Thank you Sarah for bringing (and leaving) yet another beer sample.

Very pale yellow....quickly falling head.

Tastes like Pellegrino, mixed with a splash of beer, with a funky (and not the good kind) aftertaste. Skip it, unless it's left at your party, and even then, skip it.

Dubbercody, Aug 19, 2008
Miller 64 from Miller Brewing Co.