Olde English 800 High Gravity - Miller Brewing Co.

Olde English 800 High GravityOlde English 800 High Gravity

to view more.
Ratings: 129 | Reviews: 51
Reviews by Brad007:
3.26/5  rDev +50.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

First, a little story about how I came to possess this bottle of OE 800 HG. A friend was heading out of state and posted a picture of OE 800 HG at a liquor store to Facebook. I went, "Wow, I have to have this!", being that we can't find it in VT and I hadn't already ticked it off. I am the kind of guy who will try just about any beer once and it shows if you look at my reviews. It's who I am and it's not just beer. Anyway, friend snaps up the beer and being that we're both busy people, it takes a while to land in my hands. Now that I finally have it, I can't wait to review it. It helps that I have a pizza in the oven too.

Pours a nice yellow-gold color with a thin head into my glass. It seems pretty well carbonated too.

Lots of sweet, sweet adjuncts upfront. It's what I was expecting. Most malt liquors don't go past 6%-7%, despite our generous cap of 16%.

Ditto for the flavor. Corn, grain etc. But, it's mellowed out over time. It's actually pretty drinkable. I think that the higher ABV keeps the sweetness of the adjuncts in check.

Mouthfeel goes well with my pizza too. Washes it down clean. Very nice. No alcohol bite here.

I just want to say that this is a very nice malt liquor and I'm glad that I could try it. If it's one of those days where you want to drink cheap but you want a little more refinement, this does the trick.

2.31/5  rDev +6.5%

Not bad at all for a "High Gravity" Malt Liquor. It poured a darker gold color than most of this style but with the same fizzy white head that left as quickly as it came. The smell was adjunct all the way with a very grainy, earthy scent that was not too pleasent. The taste was better than expected. The sweet malt dominated the flavor with a bit of grain flavor and an underlying aftertaste of alchohol. Better than Steele Reserve any day...but then again that isn't saying much!

2.64/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours a golden yellow with a one finger head that retreats to a good lace throughout.

S - Fruity with some grain.

T - Tangy with a fruitiness with some slight grain/hop taste.

M - A little on the syrupy side with a decent bite.

O - Considering the price and the 8% ABV this is not a bad beer. Granted, it must be served and consumed ice cold.

1.39/5  rDev -35.9%

24oz can, jam jar for a drinking vessel, and I forgot to look for freshness dating (as if it matters).

The color of a dehydrated human's urine, dark apple juice. Rather a nice whitish head, better than some macro lagers, that fades to a ring in a minute.

Sweet with apple juice notes. Industrial chemicals, corn.

Sweet, very processed apple juice, preservatives out the ying-yang. Creamed corn, a sour, almost hoppy twinge on the finish fading into a continually objectionable and chemical laden aftertastes. You know there is 8% abv too.

Fizzy and light, though with more body than macro lagers.

None, I can't stand the manufactured and treated flavor. It isn't refreshing and it warms the belly, firewater in the truest sense.

Since I already consumed the KBS I had wanted to be my 100th review, I thought a gag (literally) review would be funny. Joke's on me, my 100th review ended up being my first drain pour.

3.3/5  rDev +52.1%

There's nothing like pouring yourself an Imperial pint from a 40 of HG800! It just doesn't seem normal - and yet, it gives a much better appearance from a glass than a paper bag! But all kidding aside, this is not a bad malt liquor. This is the original, with an actual 8% alcohol by volume; and it's much better than their lower alcohol version.

The body is a clear yellow when held to the light, but appears more amber in the glass. It's creamy, bright white head holds surprisingly well for a beer with so much alcohol; and it slowly drops to a thin surface covering, leaving some nice lace at the outset. Sweet, very lightly grainy malt greets you in the nose with a very delicate fruitiness. It's quite clean. It's medium-bordering-on-full bodied with a fine carbonation that's lightly effervescent and gently caresses the tongue. Crisp yet smooth. The flavor delivers a lightly grainy maltiness that's somewhat surprising as most examples as so obviously adjunct laden, and it's sweetness is tempered more by its alcohol than its low-key bitterness. It finishes drying despite its sweet malt with a wash of drying alcohol and dull bitterness - although some malt does linger. Overall, it's a surprisingly clean and well-made malt liquor that probably deserves a little more respect than it gets.

3.15/5  rDev +45.2%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very malty. Taste is a combination of malts, corn, and alcohol. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a decent brew as far as malt liquors go.

2.87/5  rDev +32.3%

From the 40 oz. bottle marked AUG3109-DO5111908. Sampled on December 15, 2009. After looking at earlier reviews I was expecting the worst. But quite frankly, I did not think this was as bad as all that. The pour was a hazy pale yellow with a generous supply of fizzy head. The aroma was of mild malts and hops with almost no noticeable alcohol, which tends to be common in these high gravity beers. The taste was a bit tart and pungent but not offensive. This is not the kind of beer I would buy regularly but for the purposes of this review, it was tolerable.

2.18/5  rDev +0.5%

As far as I am concerned, this is the best 40 available. That's not necessarily the highest praise, but on occassion, when cash is tight, a 40 is a nice option. This is not nearly as common as its non-high gravity cousin, in fact, I usually have a hard time finding it. The beer is a dark golden color, when consumed out of the bottle, some head is stirred up. The smell is somewhat unpleasant, it is reminiscent of burnt vegetables. The taste is slightly astringent, but it goes down smooth enough, in fact, I think it has a unique and fairly pleasant flavor. As far as drinkability goes, the alcohol definitely starts to get to you, and if you take your time finishing it, the warm remnants become extremely unpleasant. Gotta keep this one cold.

1.06/5  rDev -51.2%

Wow, only a 40 of OE can give me a hangover. Not good. Have a glass of water nearby.
A - Like SR it does look like beer.
S - Oh no, if they had a -5 this is where it would rank.
T - Worse than Steel Reserve. That's pretty bad.
M - Not good. I guess the taste has a lot to do with the mouthfeel with this beer.
D - Bad. Of course once you're drunk it all tastes good until the morning.
Drunkablility - Way too high. +10

3.53/5  rDev +62.7%

Luckily, this sample, poured from a 40 oz. clear bottle was neither skunked nor spoiled. Olde English High Gravity 800 has a thick, white head, and a deep golden appearance, with spider-web lacing. Aroma is sharp, pungent, corny, and even bready. Taste is rich and fruity, but not overly sweet or alcoholic. Mouth-feel is medium and crisp. Overall, this is a very enjoyable drink; one of the better malt liquors on the market. Unfortunately, it has a limited distribution (not available in Louisiana). I like this one and would recommend that you try it.

RJT

1.49/5  rDev -31.3%

40 oz clear bottle gives a crack and a hiss and off we go...pours a very clear, medium gold color with a fairly dense and creamy white foam. Retention is surprisingly good, as is the lacing. Pretty good looking beer if you dont know where it came from.

Nose is corny grain sweetness with a hint of cardboard and sweaty feet. Not appealing, but not necessarily horrid either.

Sweet and corn syrupy. Thick mouthfeel. I already know I wont be finishing this bottle, should have gotten this beast ICE cold first. I dont mind some regular OE every once in a long while, but this is not really all that fun to drink. Sweetness is pretty overwhelming with virtually no hops to help. The only other flavors I am getting is some lager yeast sulfur and heavy alcohol. Carbonation keeps things moving along better when drank straight from the bottle. Pretty foul concoction here, even by malt liquor standards.

2.26/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Not a bad pour. Very light apple juice colored gold with a large, light, fluffy, sticky, bright white head. Somewhat thick, very good retention, and a decent patchy lace.

S - Pretty subdued. Sweet corn and malt with a touch of cooked vegetable. Some of that overly sweet, slightly tart and acidic apple, but not in a good way. Slight alcohol.

T - Typical malt liquor flavors. Sweet corn and malt flavors. A lot of sweet candish apple mid sip toward the finish. A bit of a cooked vegetable flavor as well. A bit of an off floralish flavor. Definite grainy finish.

M - Light, thin body with average carbonation. Dry, sticky finish.

D - Not offensive, but no where near easy to drink. Sweet, alcoholy, and a touch cloying/sticky. Not easy to drink plenty of.

Notes: Meh, not overly impressed, but what I more or less expected. Average high gravity malt liquor. Overly sweet with corn and apple and alcohol.

1.74/5  rDev -19.8%

This is basically to drink when you just want some booze for cheap. Pours the way it looks in its clear bottle - golden amber color with a tall but airy white head that settles fast. It smells of really pungeant malts and a touch of hops. These flavors aren't mixed well together and they don't really mask the alcohol at all. It has a sharp mouthfeel and it's not very drinkable.

Appearance: Hazy medium golden color, with a large and sticky, persistent white head, scattered patchy lacing, and fine, slow rising carbonation.

Aroma: Sweet alcohol aroma, with subdued corn malt, and faint hop notes.

Taste: Sweet, spicy alcohol from start to finish, with a little thin malt beneath, midway through there are pleasant light fruit notes and some washed out hop bitterness at the close. The finish is somewhat dry.

Mouth feel: Soft on the palate, with a little sting of carbonation, less body than I would have expected. Still, not bad.

Drinkability/notes: Not the best of malt liquors, but still better than Budweiser. At $1.69 for a 40 ounce bottle, there seems to be little room for complaint.

Presentation: Packaged in a 40 ounce clear glass bottle with a screw cap, served in a Pilsener glass.

2.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A - Drank from the 40oz bottle. Darkinsh gold with a slightly frothy head.

S - Metal, aluminum, grains, alcohol.

T - seriously grainy up front, slight aluminum soon follows, small amounts of rice adjunct, and alcohol in the finish.

M - Light bodied with creamy heavy carbonation. Nice for what it is.

O - Overall, good for the price and one forty got me pretty well lit.

1.71/5  rDev -21.2%

Bought in the flashy 24 oz can.
I cannot believe I just poured this into one of my Belgian goblets, but the only clean glass I had available.
Well it looks like your typical American macro lager..with perhaps a little more lace.
The aroma, well actually stench in this occaison, is of chemical malts ,cheap sugar and rubbing alcohol.
Taste is brutally,tooth rotting sweet, with a taste of cheap after shave to finish and hair spray bitterness.
Weak and lifeless in the mouth ( except for the sugar rotting the teeth).
Not drinkable at all..i'm pouring this out..not a good Malt Liquor at all.

2.88/5  rDev +32.7%

I poured my 40oz of Olde E HG into my glass and prepare to plummet into a familiar drunk, but without my warm cozy paper bag around my bottle. It pours a nice dark amber color... It looks pretty good for what it is and it actually had a head that stuck around for the first couple of minutes. It smelled a bit corny, but this is a malt liquor. The flavor is a corny sweetness that has a definite alcohol bite at the end since there is not enough malts or hops to balance it out, but again this is a malt liquor. Malt liquors are not my favorite, but every so often I get brave and want to rekindle my relationship with beers I drank when I was younger and poorer. This is 40oz of pure hell, but it is one of the better malt liquors you can find. Remember to pour some for your dead homies.

1.96/5  rDev -9.7%

Looks like a typical malt - corn yellow, with little head. The smell is fusel alcohol with a metallic bite. The taste is about the same... fairly strong alcohol taste is present, even though this is a 'weaker' high gravity. One reviewer said that this is the only 40 that he can get hungover by after drinking - I agree - the next day is pretty harsh, even if you have had only one. In college I made the mistake of drinking two in about two hours and was wishing for death the rest of the night and the next day.

2.8/5  rDev +29%

Sometimes a guy just wants a bottle of some good old cheap swill.

Here in BC, this is just called Olde English 800... I am writing this with regards to the fact it is a malt liquor, not just any other beer. I'm not expecting a plethora of flavours and smells to jump out of this one.

Consumed the only way you can cosume it: Straight out of the 40 ounce bottle. It would be a disgrace to both malt liquor etiquette and my Unibroue snifter to pour it into anything else but my mouth.

Prior to opening, a humble soapy head of large white bubbles is perched atop this translucent copper brew. An abominable sweet putridity begins to emanate from the bottle as soon as the lid is cracked open.

When ice cold, a majority of the typical cloying alcohol taste is muted and the brew is rather drinkable given the 8% ABV. Don't let this one sit too long. The flavours are minimal; however cheap grainy adjuncts, bread, and cooked corn are distinguishable.

Like all malt liquors I've tried, it is highly carbonated in a justified effort to mask as much alcohol flavour as possible. It is better to chug rather than sip beers like this.

Overall, it could be a LOT worse (Colt 45). This is and always has been my favourite malt liquor. It is a wonderful option when you're looking for cheap party material. I've downed more than 3/4 of the bottle and I'm already pleasantly buzzed.

FELLOW BEER DRINKERS: I warn you! This is by NO stretch of the imagination beer pong material. I have tried it and it's just tempting fate. It may be intended to chug; however, chugging at your own pace and chugging in a drinking game are 2 separate stories.

Cheers

3.48/5  rDev +60.4%

There are many things in life that make sense to me and an equal number that do not. The CANQuest (TM) makes sense to me on some neanderthal level and by extension, so does Olde English 800 High Gravity's 8.00 ABV. When I was a teenager and malt liquors were routinely kicking my ass, I assumed that 800 referred to either its ABV or the number that we were to dial to hear some heavy breathing ... Oops. I am starting to digress. OK, so if 800 is neither a telephone prefix nor a measure of ABV, how did they hit upon the number "800"? It may be like the number of licks that it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop - the world may never know. How many licks does it take to get to the center of my tootsie? She ain't tellin'! CAN we puh-leeze have a review?

Somebody in one of the forum posts about CANs in general and The CANQuest (TM) in particular was put off by the auditory nature of CANs. He hated the "glug, glug, glug" noise associated with a CAN pour, if you CAN believe it. My brother, when they package beer in a 24 fluid ounce CAN and you want to transfer it into a glass with a minimum of spliiling, "GLUG!" is all you're gonna hear! I had a whole buncha bone-white foam as the result of trying to pour into the glass and not the keyboard, but let's be fair and honest and call it about a finger with good retention after settling. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was closer to an adjunct lager than a malt liquor. It was honey-sweet underlain with whatev. There was a little of the fusel sharpness of the style, but I have been subjected to far worse in this epic journey, believe me. Really, this was not obnoxious and for a high gravity malt liquor, that is saying something. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was the standard sweetish fuel-like intensity of the style. Finish was bone-dry and I began to wish for a Hammond's pretzel as an accompaniment. Beautiful, heavy lacing throughout. I am not a fan of the style, by any means, but this was pretty dang good as they go. tone77, where did you find this in a CAN? I'm not recommending it for the cooler, but it might be something worthwhile in a paper bag without the weight of glass and a whole 40 to oneself. I'll bet I'm the high reviewer, yo!

1.03/5  rDev -52.5%

Just a simple yellow color, drank straight from the bottle. Smells of alcohol and sweetness. Not very good at all. You can taste no hops, a little malt, but there is a horrible overpowering flavor that I cannot place. It is foul and metallic and skunky, and full of alcohol. Not good at all.

3.45/5  rDev +59%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Phil for providing me with this 40oz tick that (for whatever reason) is not available here in Southern California.

A: Since it's a clear 40, there's really no pour required to see the appearance. A rather dark color for malt liquor, golden with a rocky white head.

S: The smell is sweet and rather unoffensive. Actually some notes of bananas along with the usual tooth-rotting sweetness. Apple juice, corn syrup, corn, and even a little bit of a sweet bread aroma.

T: A rather pleasant flavor, too. Sweet banana bread, apple juice, and corn syrup. A bit of a malty character to this beer which is sort of a welcome surprise.

M: The body is quite full for a malt liquor. The carbonation might be lacking a little bit, unfortunately, though.

D: I had my fill of this and shared it with friends (it was a buddy's birthday and it was a "40s" party). All agreed this was a pretty damn good malt liquor.

3.48/5  rDev +60.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I do believe this is one of the better high gravity's out there on the market. It has flavor, it has a good amount of lacing poured into a frosty mug. Even though it was a 40 ounce bottle that I dont know how long its been on the shelf at the little corner market i visited on my vacation to minnesota, it was not skunky and tasted bold and refreshing in my opinion. To each there own this is better to me than the traditional olde english!

3.03/5  rDev +39.6%

By the Beer Gods what has happened to me? Over the last couple weeks I have consumed and reviewed a bunch of Malt Liquior. This beer was removed from the freezer after 20 minutes. The serving temperature isnt Slush Puppy cold but its cold. The beer was served in an Imperial Pint glass. The music cues up... they all get prettier at closing time.

Appearance: Hey! Maybe I am drunk already but this beer is looking pretty goood in my glass. Oh well this is closing time at Casa de' Martin. The beer pours a respectable fizzy golden yellow coloration. The head is a thick white coloration. The head has suprisingly good retention. Did some one slip some Viagra in my beer? Thick creamy lacing remains ringing my glass.

Smell: The beer has an odd combination to the aroma. The beer smells of alcohol soaked green apples and corn / grits.

Taste: The beer delivers on the smell. This beer has a corn and green apple fruityness. The alcohol provides some spiceyness to break up the sweetness. A bit of bittering comes at the end. I am not certain if the bitterness comes from hops or not.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a medium body. The carbonation is adequate for the beer. The beer was suprisingly drinkable. This is not a session beer by any means. This beer is an alcohol delivery system. I must say that this is among the better tasting and least offensive smelling malt liquours I have drank.

...they all begin to look like movie stars. Oh the girls all get prettier at closing time...

2.24/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Had this in a 24 ounce can. Purchased this at Sunset Liquors in Madisonville, TN. Appearance is a dark golden character. Smelled like corn meets grassy overtones. Tasted like a rich bready mix of apples and a little bit of a fruity nose. Mouthfeel suggests a light to medium BMC with more of a malt overtone. Overall, a good 8.1 AML as a whole. It is very decent for cheap. 2 will get you loaded in a hurry. Do drink this when cold, it is much worse when it gets warm. And when warm, it has something of an aftertaste to it.

to view more.
Olde English 800 High Gravity from Miller Brewing Co.