Mickey's Ice - Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey's IceMickey's Ice

to view more.
Ratings: 97 | Reviews: 42
Reviews by ianmatth:
1.2/5  rDev -50%

The beer that got Chuck Liddell knocked out. A darker yellow than expected, no head, lacing, seriously why bother? Aroma is of alcohol and a bit of dumpster when collectors are on strike.

Hot, hot alcohol head in this one. Horrible aftertaste. I really can't hang with this one. Gets warm and gets even worse. It's cheap I guess, it has that going for it. Blech.

3.51/5  rDev +46.3%

40 oz. bottle consumed on the corner of 6th and Fairmount from within a brown paper bag. Only the top of the green glass bottle and the black screw-cap are visible.... only kidding!
It pours a clear yellow body with a rocky bright white head that holds surprisingly well, and leaves some very nice lace throughout the glass. The nose expresses a clean, lightly sweet, and somewhat grainy malt. The body is firm and it's lightly crisp upfront, but becomes creamier as it crosses the palate. The flavor is a well-balanced combination of lightly grainy semi-sweet malt and an underlying hop bitterness (no flavor or aroma is involved). The alcohol is well-cloaked throughout (of course it's only 5.8%abv), and it finishes surprisingly dry. There's obviously a good deal of adjunct involved here (noting the lack of grainy flavor), but it's smooth and refreshing. On the other hand, it doesn't deliver the richer malt taste that's expected of the style.

2.31/5  rDev -3.7%

"Ice Ice Baby!"

--Robert Matthew Van Winkle (a.k.a. Vanilla Ice)

What better day to do Macro Smackdown XIII, a head to head beatdown between two ice beers, than a day that is... let's see... 0 degrees with a -18 wind chill. I have no idea what an 'ice beer' is or how it differs from any other macro lager. A little more alcohol is the only difference as far as I can tell. Let's see how they stack up.

Mickey's Ice is pale amber, which is still a shade darker than the extremely pale amber of Keystone. The cap is an attractive shade of off-white, not dingy in the least, and is much nicer looking on this beer. It has a creamy, sticky texture and is laying down a surprising amount of lace. I'm surprised and pleased.

The nose is on the mildly pleasant side; considering the style of course. It's grain-like with a modest whiff of musky hoppiness. It's also wildly different from the nose on the other beer. I like this one better.

This is simple beer. It's also inoffensive beer, which puts it well ahead of most macro lagers. The flavor profile consists of barley malt, and at least one adjunct I'll bet, as well as the same musky hops noted in the nose. For some reason, I don't like it as well as I thought I would (relatively speaking) after having smelled it. No worries Miller, I just drank a mouthful of Keystone Ice and the MacSmack XIII crown is yours in a runaway.

The mouthfeel is light without being overly watery and holds up fairly well throughout the mouthful. The carbonation is neither too much, nor too little. A fat lot of good that does when the beer isn't otherwise pleasing in the mouth. Finally, a dead heat.

Mickey's Ice is okay beer. I'm always pleased when I find an AML that's drinkable. Not that I'd ever buy it again, but it's always nice to know in case the pickings are especially slim. Even though it's far from wonderful, it had no difficulty slapping the snot out of its impressively nasty competitor. Mickey's is further proof that, as far as I'm concerned, 'M' is the clear superior of both 'B' and 'C' when it comes to beer of this general style.

3.18/5  rDev +32.5%

Appearance – Light, hazy yellow with some good carbonation and a decent head that left a little lacing. This doesn’t look half bad.

Smell – Yes, it’s grain and alcohol, but the grain smells kind of smooth and I’d swear there was a hop or two in there.

Taste – Not bad, actually. Not good, but the grain isn’t offensive and is smooth. The finish is cheap candy sugar but it is not raunchy like most malt liquors.

Mouthfeel – I felt that this was the ale’s strong point. The overall smoothness, big(ger) body (not medium but well better than most other MLs), and somewhat dry character made this bearable.

Drinkability – One of the few MLs that will stay out of my sink. Good job, Miller.

2.08/5  rDev -13.3%

Mickey's ice? Ice brewed ale stated on label. 5.8% alcohol.

A- Poured in to a long pilsner glass that ended in a junk load of foam that was like an aggravated soda in a can. Mild straw yellow similar to others of this nature.

S- Very light corn , barley , and metal.

T- The same as smell just even more obvious metallic tastes with light corn hints, but for a ice Adjunct beer I could handle one of these on a warm day.

M-D- Mouthfeel upfront is a mildly carbonated burst with a slightly slick oil feeling on the tongue after inital drink.

So so but not the worst by far, but far from the best... cheers

rev. 07/22/11

2.53/5  rDev +5.4%

This beer will always have a place in my heart since this is what my friends and I would pay bums outside the liquer store to get for us! My best friend and I were recently low on cash and decided to get a coulple of 40's of this swill and now I know why I stopped drinking it. It tastes allright at first, but as it rolls down your tounge it has one of the nasty-est aftertastes I have ever experienced in my life! I think next time we are going for cheep beer, we will go for regular Mickey's or Bud Ice.

2.39/5  rDev -0.4%

Cheap and alcoholic. Exactly what I need to watch the Red Sox on TV...

Visually, it's your generic straw yellow. Remarkable number of small bubbles, and a decent head. Still, nothing too impressive.

As for the smell....this stuff reeks. Odd sort of muted skunky cheap beer smell. Hints of something that may or may not be corn. One of the more unappealing scents I've come across lately.

Luckily, it rather lacks taste altogether. A strange and unexpected creaminess adds quite a bit to the drinkability. The mouthfeel on this one is strangely pleasent, considering the scent on it.

One of the best cheap beers I've ever picked up. That's not saying much, but I think I'd take this over most of the other "beer for bums" swill out there. Shockingly drinkable.

1.84/5  rDev -23.3%

Ultra translucent, golden hue, frothy white head, decent size and retention, did lace well. The nose is killer, sweet, husky, musty, and alcoholic, not very pleasant or inviting. Thus you regretfully take a sip… husky, grainy, sweet, the alcohol burns. There is an unpleasant rawness to it, which opposes the smooth mouthfeel. Heartburn inducing. I’ll try any beer once… one was enough. All in all, this is another bad Ice Beer. Skip it.

3.21/5  rDev +33.8%

Poured from a green 40 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of corn and malts. Taste is just like it smells, malts and corn. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a mediocre beer.

3.58/5  rDev +49.2%

Clear pale gold with a good 2 plus fingers of dense long lasting white head. Very impressive lacing.
Smell is grasses some apple peel and a slight corn aroma.
Taste is mostly biscuit malts with a pinch of corn. Slight amount of hops toward the end of the sip. Very light alcohol presence.
Mouthfeel is light to medium with average carbonation and a lightly dry somewhat sweet finish.
Overall a fine Ice beer . Much more pleasant than regular strength AAl types due to bigger flavors in almost every way. The flavor was still pretty decent after it had warmed up some.
Note: This beer still has a thin coat of white head after close to 20 minutes!
Originally reviewed in 03-15-2008. Completely rewrote my review.
Alcohol is 5.8% by volume.

3.73/5  rDev +55.4%

Mickey’s Ice Brewed Ale has a very thick, white head and a clear, yellow-golden appearance with lots of bubbles streaming up, and a good amount of lacing left behind. The aroma is faint, but one detects clean water and undifferentiated grains. Taste is a round beer flavor, with a surprisingly sharp hop bitterness at the mid to back end of the sip. Mouthfeel is medium and Mickey’s Ice Brewed Ale finishes crisp, clean, relatively crisp, and quite smooth. Overall, this is a winner for malt liquor.

RJT

3.3/5  rDev +37.5%

A: Crisp Clear Amber
S: Grainy Adjunct hops
T: Light lagery
M: light with a small amount of carbonation

Mickey's Ice is okay beer. I have been drinking this 40 for years. The 40 oz has a big following and i consider myself part of it. You can grab a 32 of this for under 2 dollars, and makes a great sippin, swillin, bulls@#$tin brew.

1.36/5  rDev -43.3%

Looks promising in a sort of ugly way. Not horrible, but still fizzy and yellow.

Smell is, umm... I thinnk wet barn describes it as acurately as possible. Hay and Corn mixed with horse.

Tastes like a barn too!! Put some corn syrup on a horse, lick it off, and VOILA! Mickey's Ice. Left a weird syrupy coating on my tongue. It was all I could to to choke it down, even cold it was awful...

3.1/5  rDev +29.2%

Bought in the green 22 ozer.."Ice Brewed Ale"
Not too bad of an appearance for a malt liquor ..nice solid golden honey with a nice sized white head which persists.
again I was surprised that this actually smelled acceptable..mostly sweet maltiness.
Im quite impressed by the taste of this..its like a subdued pilsner..quite malty and with a tiny hop kick..but for a Malt liquor the maltiness is tasty.
Let down in the mouthfeel however..very sticky and cloying.
This is a big surprise ..better than regular Mickeys and must be one of the best malt liquors out there.

2.53/5  rDev +5.4%

This is currently on my "Wants" list and it will remain there because I want it in a CAN. I am trying to bump up my bottle numbers to (at least) 400 so that I may re-dedicate myself to The CANQuest (TM) without the feeling of guilt that I seem to be experiencing lately. Guilt, hah!

I will say this for the AALs - they are pretty. I got a solid finger of rocky, bone-white head with good retention from my pour. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. Just beautiful to look at and a razzberry to Greg Koch and his "Fizzy yellow beer is for sissies" act. I am a visual guy as evidence by my Film Studies certificate and my lifelong love of reading. I like to look and watch and I will not apologize for it. Nose smelled like the interior of a silo at the end of the season - fermented corn sweetness overlaying a grapey quality. Ooof. I wonder if high fructose corn syrup might have been one of the adjuncts used in its production. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a fairly innocuous lager sweetness in the mouth. It really was not as bad as the nose led me to expect. I have had MUCH worse, believe me. Finish was slightly dry and still pretty bland, overall. Call that damning with faint praise.

3.12/5  rDev +30%

Listed as an "Ice Brewed Ale" on the bottle, for what it's worth. I drank it straight from the 40 bottle. Really not too bad, when compared with other 40's. Taste is fiarly non-offensive, and skunk free. Does have a taste of adjuncts, which the alcohol goes a long way to cover up. I did wake up with a hangover the morning after a couple of these, but overall they are good for the price.

3.13/5  rDev +30.4%

Mickey’s Ice from a 16 oz can.

Beer pours a light yellow with a fairly massive and dense head. Not a bad looker.

The smell is of adjuncts/grains. Smells like an amped up High Life with all that corn. Still no foul or off odors.

Taste is sweet and grainy. Slight, almost metallic bitterness late. Not much else springs to mind. Nothing harsh and the 5.8% is well integrated as I don't pick up any alcohol. Maybe my expectations were low, but this was better than expected.

The beer has aggressive carbonation. This works well with the beer and compensates for a slightly thin mouth.

Drinkable for what it is. I would have another.

3.39/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have to give this props, for a cheap and i do mean cheap ice beer, it is pretty good if you can find it in your area. We all know mickeys fine malt liquor but this is a different breed of beer. I have only had this one time in a 40 oz bottle that I found on a roadtrip in Minnesota. Its reasonably prices at $1.49 a 40 oz. It looks and smells like a american adjunct lager but its got a little punch behind it! Love it love it! Now i pray miller/coors dont take it off the market! i give it 2 thumbs up for the average everyday drinker!

2.21/5  rDev -7.9%

I bought a 40oz of Mickey's ICE last night. When I first opened the bottled I was over whelmed with a very strong skunky smell almost overwhelming. It poured into a nice golden color. The taste was a little less "yeasty" than the regular mickeys which was surprising to me. Overall its was ok. What I didnt like about it was it gave me the feeling of a hangover after a not drinking for about an hour.

3.34/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 24 ounce tallboy into a shaker pint glass. A moderate pour produces about an inch of frothy head which has a bit of staying power, coating the sides of the glass nicely. The color is a pale straw with moderate carbonation.

As with regular Mickey's, there is nothing in the aroma or flavor that screams "malt liquor". It just has a typical and rather smooth AAL profile- light malt flavors and just a kiss of hops (if that). Corny flavors and metal are subdued while the beverage is cold.

Mickey's is a good beer to walk around the streets with in my town- Butte, Montana, where St. Paddy's Day is quite an affair. (Open containers on the street- not in the car- are legal until bar closing time).

2.57/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass. The hornet on the can indicates to me that Mickey's Ice has got the same sting as original Mickey's!

Appearance: light yellow hue with a haze-free body and a robust effervescence. Head pours two thick fingers and actually displays a little bit of retention! In addition to that, a pretty thick lace is left on the glass! For the style, it's actually not bad. A little surprise from ol' Mickey!

Smell: overly sweet aroma with equal parts malt and plastic. Not the best thing in the world; certainly not the worst. This is back inside the realm of expectation.

Taste: malty, grainy and sweet. A bit sticky and not particularly to my taste, but at least this seems natural and not particularly chemical-y. Not great but could be a lot worse.

Mouthfeel: light body with a somewhat light carbonation. A little bit bubbly and refreshing, but not enough substance here to be really creamy.

Overall: while this beer is actually quite flavorful for the style, it doesn't display the best the style has to offer. It is, however, better than you might think from the label, and offers a reasonable beer experience within its market.

1.73/5  rDev -27.9%

This is the only 40 that I will consider drinking. It is quite bad though. If this beer is really cold, I can drink it just fine. The 40oz makes it hard to keep it cold to the last drop. Solution: drink fast. If you still can't handle this brew, add vermouth. That's a real mixed drink, mmmmm.

3.35/5  rDev +39.6%

Your everyday run of the mill brew. Normal pale yellow coloring,good taste with just a pinch of sweetness.Nothing bad to say,although this taste duplicates that of a lot of domestic beers.It's probably worth try there's just nothing special about it that will jump out at you.

3.7/5  rDev +54.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mickey's Ice (brewed ale [LOL]) is a much better version of Mickey's. Another example of the "ice" process actually improving the base beer. It's worth nothing that Mickey's Ice doesn't have the rough edges that almost all macro ice lagers have, even the smooth ones like Keystone Ice and Milwaukee's Best Ice.

As always, reviewed within the style.

A: I'm honestly not going to pour this out of the 24 oz. can. Sorry. I've had it from 40's a few times and I can tell you that it foams up, a lot. That seems typical for SAB-Miller malt liquors as Steel Reserve does the same thing.

S: Smell is definitely better than regular Mickey's, which has that old man-sweat socks-PBR smell. Surprisingly boozy for only 5.8% ABV. Strong alcohol and metallic smell. While it isn't horribly inviting, it isn't off-putting either and that says a lot in this price range.

T: The best description I've ever encountered for the taste of Mickey's Ice is that it resembles beer mixed with salty butter. I swear that this beer will leave your lips salty. It is a slightly stronger tasting Mickey's without the sharp edges. Finishes with no aftertaste. This just dies on its way out. Seriously salty.

M: Mickey's Ice has an amazing mouthfeel to it, one of the best in my opinion. The carbonation comes on strong then fades to a creaminess. Sharp, then smooth. Very enjoyable. Reminds me of a slightly creamier Icehouse, which is another Miller product with an enjoyable mouthfeel.

O: This is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever come across. There is a great balance between alcohol %, taste, and mouthfeel.

This beer is a favorite of mine when traveling. It is good for unwinding in the hotel room but won't leave you feeling like crap in the morning.

2.23/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a clear, pale golden yellow. Very little head, but what head is there is white. Suprisingly it smells like malt liquor. A lot of cereal grains in the aroma and taste. Also a very metallic taste. Average texture, not thin or chewy. Taste was not pleasant and not recommended for a session beer.

to view more.
Mickey's Ice from Miller Brewing Co.