Mickey's Ice - Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey's IceMickey's Ice

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-14-2002

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.18/5  rDev -55%

Quite unenjoyable indeed. Pours a clear yellow with a weak white head. Nose has corn, rice and hop extract. Taste isn't much better. Quite bitter with some old grassy flavors. Thin body is hard to drink. I may have to say this is worst than the original Mickey's. (263 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -54.2%

The beer that got Chuck Liddell knocked out. A darker yellow than expected, no head, lacing, seriously why bother? Aroma is of alcohol and a bit of dumpster when collectors are on strike.

Hot, hot alcohol head in this one. Horrible aftertaste. I really can't hang with this one. Gets warm and gets even worse. It's cheap I guess, it has that going for it. Blech. (364 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -48.1%

Looks promising in a sort of ugly way. Not horrible, but still fizzy and yellow.

Smell is, umm... I thinnk wet barn describes it as acurately as possible. Hay and Corn mixed with horse.

Tastes like a barn too!! Put some corn syrup on a horse, lick it off, and VOILA! Mickey's Ice. Left a weird syrupy coating on my tongue. It was all I could to to choke it down, even cold it was awful... (394 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I guess is the sheer volume of micky's was enough this iced beer should do the trick. god, why have I set out on the bad beer pilgrimage?! let me go back to my sweet belgians and my robust stouts! I have a hard time distinguishing between all this garbage: head? yeah, considering im pouring this directly down into a glass. body? this this is ephemeral. skip this and go for olde english if your pressed for money. (415 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -34%

This is the only 40 that I will consider drinking. It is quite bad though. If this beer is really cold, I can drink it just fine. The 40oz makes it hard to keep it cold to the last drop. Solution: drink fast. If you still can't handle this brew, add vermouth. That's a real mixed drink, mmmmm. (293 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -29.8%

Ultra translucent, golden hue, frothy white head, decent size and retention, did lace well. The nose is killer, sweet, husky, musty, and alcoholic, not very pleasant or inviting. Thus you regretfully take a sip… husky, grainy, sweet, the alcohol burns. There is an unpleasant rawness to it, which opposes the smooth mouthfeel. Heartburn inducing. I’ll try any beer once… one was enough. All in all, this is another bad Ice Beer. Skip it. (440 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -27.9%

this is one sick drink most of you will want to avoid, but for those of us in college with no money this is always an option. As far as dirty foties are concerned this is my personal favorite, with the closest competitor being OE mind you. Three of these will get you rocking, but tomorrow you will regret it. (309 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -21.4%

This pours from 22oz bottle(best by 06 18 07) a very lively and clear medium gold with a smallish head of foam. That soon shrinks to an island in the middle with a little lacing.

The smell has that typical big brewery nose to it. Sweet malt, maybe a bit of corn.

The taste has a mix of sweet malt, corn and some harsh hop bitterness that starts in the background and ends up in the finish...not a very good aftertaste with this one but thankfully, it's not long lasting. Right about midway through, the flavours really fall flat and it becomes very watery in body. I like the regular Mickey's more....I can't recommend this at all. (637 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -20.6%

Mickey's ice? Ice brewed ale stated on label. 5.8% alcohol.

A- Poured in to a long pilsner glass that ended in a junk load of foam that was like an aggravated soda in a can. Mild straw yellow similar to others of this nature.

S- Very light corn , barley , and metal.

T- The same as smell just even more obvious metallic tastes with light corn hints, but for a ice Adjunct beer I could handle one of these on a warm day.

M-D- Mouthfeel upfront is a mildly carbonated burst with a slightly slick oil feeling on the tongue after inital drink.

So so but not the worst by far, but far from the best... cheers

rev. 07/22/11 (623 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -15.6%

I bought a 40oz of Mickey's ICE last night. When I first opened the bottled I was over whelmed with a very strong skunky smell almost overwhelming. It poured into a nice golden color. The taste was a little less "yeasty" than the regular mickeys which was surprising to me. Overall its was ok. What I didnt like about it was it gave me the feeling of a hangover after a not drinking for about an hour. (401 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a clear, pale golden yellow. Very little head, but what head is there is white. Suprisingly it smells like malt liquor. A lot of cereal grains in the aroma and taste. Also a very metallic taste. Average texture, not thin or chewy. Taste was not pleasant and not recommended for a session beer. (299 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -14.9%

mark thanks for killing me with this one.

A: Pours a clear pale yellow with a tall foamy head. Good retention, moving on.

S: Aromas of corn, bread, and crackers. Very grainy.

T: a corny watery fizzy mess of a concoction.

M: Light fizzy meh.

D: About as drinkable as a horrible beer can be. (294 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

bought a single 16 oz can on a whim

poured in to a pint glass, yellow gold color with a medium white head, fair amount of lacing.

smells like malt and corn

tatse isn't horrible, can't taste the alcohol and taste some malts.

again, not horrible, but it doesn't really make me want more.

I'm not a big fan of ice beers and I won't buy this again. (359 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -11.8%

"Ice Ice Baby!"

--Robert Matthew Van Winkle (a.k.a. Vanilla Ice)

What better day to do Macro Smackdown XIII, a head to head beatdown between two ice beers, than a day that is... let's see... 0 degrees with a -18 wind chill. I have no idea what an 'ice beer' is or how it differs from any other macro lager. A little more alcohol is the only difference as far as I can tell. Let's see how they stack up.

Mickey's Ice is pale amber, which is still a shade darker than the extremely pale amber of Keystone. The cap is an attractive shade of off-white, not dingy in the least, and is much nicer looking on this beer. It has a creamy, sticky texture and is laying down a surprising amount of lace. I'm surprised and pleased.

The nose is on the mildly pleasant side; considering the style of course. It's grain-like with a modest whiff of musky hoppiness. It's also wildly different from the nose on the other beer. I like this one better.

This is simple beer. It's also inoffensive beer, which puts it well ahead of most macro lagers. The flavor profile consists of barley malt, and at least one adjunct I'll bet, as well as the same musky hops noted in the nose. For some reason, I don't like it as well as I thought I would (relatively speaking) after having smelled it. No worries Miller, I just drank a mouthful of Keystone Ice and the MacSmack XIII crown is yours in a runaway.

The mouthfeel is light without being overly watery and holds up fairly well throughout the mouthful. The carbonation is neither too much, nor too little. A fat lot of good that does when the beer isn't otherwise pleasing in the mouth. Finally, a dead heat.

Mickey's Ice is okay beer. I'm always pleased when I find an AML that's drinkable. Not that I'd ever buy it again, but it's always nice to know in case the pickings are especially slim. Even though it's far from wonderful, it had no difficulty slapping the snot out of its impressively nasty competitor. Mickey's is further proof that, as far as I'm concerned, 'M' is the clear superior of both 'B' and 'C' when it comes to beer of this general style. (2,109 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -8.8%

Cheap and alcoholic. Exactly what I need to watch the Red Sox on TV...

Visually, it's your generic straw yellow. Remarkable number of small bubbles, and a decent head. Still, nothing too impressive.

As for the smell....this stuff reeks. Odd sort of muted skunky cheap beer smell. Hints of something that may or may not be corn. One of the more unappealing scents I've come across lately.

Luckily, it rather lacks taste altogether. A strange and unexpected creaminess adds quite a bit to the drinkability. The mouthfeel on this one is strangely pleasent, considering the scent on it.

One of the best cheap beers I've ever picked up. That's not saying much, but I think I'd take this over most of the other "beer for bums" swill out there. Shockingly drinkable. (771 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -7.3%

Oh my...Mickey's Ice...

I was familiar with regular Mickey's but had no idea this one existed. To be honest, it isn't terrible, and is actually somewhat quirst-quenching. Pours out to a darker than usual yellow-gold in the glass with a wispy, white head. Aroma is that of cooked corn and slight malt. Taste is sweet, probably because of said corn. It doesn't finish with that nasty, alcohol-laden finish of most malt liquors. While not an IPA, stout or Pale, it is what it is, a straight-forward, decent Malt Liquor.

Rock on Mickey's Ice... (546 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Mickey's Ice pours a typical macro yellow with a white head from a green thirty two ounce bottle. Nasty smell, adjunct dominated by corn. Taste is a bit on the sweet side, dominated by adjunct flavors. Okay as far as this type of beer goes, but not worth going out of your way for. (281 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

16 ounce can purchased at one of the local quick marts.

A: Clear orange golden with moderate head that dissipates quickly.

S: Grain and malt. Very little hop notes.

T: Mild. More malt than hop. Typical cheap flavor.

M: Smooth and not overly watery. Decent carbonation.

O: Not awful for an ice beer. Don't care for the smell but it goes down smooth. (354 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer will always have a place in my heart since this is what my friends and I would pay bums outside the liquer store to get for us! My best friend and I were recently low on cash and decided to get a coulple of 40's of this swill and now I know why I stopped drinking it. It tastes allright at first, but as it rolls down your tounge it has one of the nasty-est aftertastes I have ever experienced in my life! I think next time we are going for cheep beer, we will go for regular Mickey's or Bud Ice. (506 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -3.4%

This is currently on my "Wants" list and it will remain there because I want it in a CAN. I am trying to bump up my bottle numbers to (at least) 400 so that I may re-dedicate myself to The CANQuest (TM) without the feeling of guilt that I seem to be experiencing lately. Guilt, hah!

I will say this for the AALs - they are pretty. I got a solid finger of rocky, bone-white head with good retention from my pour. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. Just beautiful to look at and a razzberry to Greg Koch and his "Fizzy yellow beer is for sissies" act. I am a visual guy as evidence by my Film Studies certificate and my lifelong love of reading. I like to look and watch and I will not apologize for it. Nose smelled like the interior of a silo at the end of the season - fermented corn sweetness overlaying a grapey quality. Ooof. I wonder if high fructose corn syrup might have been one of the adjuncts used in its production. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a fairly innocuous lager sweetness in the mouth. It really was not as bad as the nose led me to expect. I have had MUCH worse, believe me. Finish was slightly dry and still pretty bland, overall. Call that damning with faint praise. (1,220 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -3.4%

I really don't know what this ice brewed ale on bottle is all about when BA list it as a macro lager and all of you call it a malt liquor...anyway I digress. As it turns out this was not as bad as I was expecting, but not saying it was good either. Pours yellow in color and very heavily carbonated. Sweet malt , corn and vegetable like grassy celery was my impresstion on the taste. I did taste a hint of alcohol at finish. I really would not of been able to drink more that the 40 oz I had. (492 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 24oz tall can into a pint glass. The hornet on the can indicates to me that Mickey's Ice has got the same sting as original Mickey's!

Appearance: light yellow hue with a haze-free body and a robust effervescence. Head pours two thick fingers and actually displays a little bit of retention! In addition to that, a pretty thick lace is left on the glass! For the style, it's actually not bad. A little surprise from ol' Mickey!

Smell: overly sweet aroma with equal parts malt and plastic. Not the best thing in the world; certainly not the worst. This is back inside the realm of expectation.

Taste: malty, grainy and sweet. A bit sticky and not particularly to my taste, but at least this seems natural and not particularly chemical-y. Not great but could be a lot worse.

Mouthfeel: light body with a somewhat light carbonation. A little bit bubbly and refreshing, but not enough substance here to be really creamy.

Overall: while this beer is actually quite flavorful for the style, it doesn't display the best the style has to offer. It is, however, better than you might think from the label, and offers a reasonable beer experience within its market. (1,171 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured from 40 into pint glass

Appearance - Pours a medium golden color with a billowy head that fades quite fast. With the head dissipating there is actually quite a surprising amount of lacing on this brew.

Smell - The aroma is very light. There is the slightest bit of corn with an ever so slightly caramel aroma present; very weak overall.

Taste - The taste starts out very sweet; corn and a little bit of caramel (just as the nose suggested). At the very end of the flavor there is an ever so light hoppy and sweet flavor on the tongue. They are very light (very light) and mainly toffee and citrus in nature. It would be quite pleasant, but unfortunately there is a rather unpleasant stale aftertaste that is left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a very moderate level of carbonation. It is slightly more creamy feeling then would be expected, but still very appropriate.

Overall - Slightly beer in some regards then the standard malt, but in some way worse. Not bad, but really not good either. (1,018 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -0.4%

24 ounce can from a 7-11 near my apartment

Poured into a frosted mug

Like most ice beers, i did not find this better than the regular brew

They call it a lager, but I did not really taste that, more of a malt liquor like its predecessor

Taste was not that great, but it did last long

Packs a punch, so amoderate amount can be drank (336 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Mickey’s Ice pours a fair amber from a green glass 40 oz bottle. Head is foamy and dense at about three fingers. As the head collapses thick Lacey clumps of foam stick to the side of the glass.

Nose is a damp mineral sulfur with hints of malt and damp egg shell. Palate is very sweet corn and a small amount of sweet malt with a slight hops.

Mickey’s Ice is a drinkable Ice 40oz after about half way through the bottle... but then most 40’s are anyway. (462 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Mickey's Ice from Miller Brewing Co.