Mickey's Ice - Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey's IceMickey's Ice

2.5/5  rDev +4.2%

1.25/5  rDev -47.9%

2.61/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from 40 into pint glass

Appearance - Pours a medium golden color with a billowy head that fades quite fast. With the head dissipating there is actually quite a surprising amount of lacing on this brew.

Smell - The aroma is very light. There is the slightest bit of corn with an ever so slightly caramel aroma present; very weak overall.

Taste - The taste starts out very sweet; corn and a little bit of caramel (just as the nose suggested). At the very end of the flavor there is an ever so light hoppy and sweet flavor on the tongue. They are very light (very light) and mainly toffee and citrus in nature. It would be quite pleasant, but unfortunately there is a rather unpleasant stale aftertaste that is left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a very moderate level of carbonation. It is slightly more creamy feeling then would be expected, but still very appropriate.

Overall - Slightly beer in some regards then the standard malt, but in some way worse. Not bad, but really not good either.

1.5/5  rDev -37.5%

2.21/5  rDev -7.9%

I bought a 40oz of Mickey's ICE last night. When I first opened the bottled I was over whelmed with a very strong skunky smell almost overwhelming. It poured into a nice golden color. The taste was a little less "yeasty" than the regular mickeys which was surprising to me. Overall its was ok. What I didnt like about it was it gave me the feeling of a hangover after a not drinking for about an hour.

3.73/5  rDev +55.4%

Mickey’s Ice Brewed Ale has a very thick, white head and a clear, yellow-golden appearance with lots of bubbles streaming up, and a good amount of lacing left behind. The aroma is faint, but one detects clean water and undifferentiated grains. Taste is a round beer flavor, with a surprisingly sharp hop bitterness at the mid to back end of the sip. Mouthfeel is medium and Mickey’s Ice Brewed Ale finishes crisp, clean, relatively crisp, and quite smooth. Overall, this is a winner for malt liquor.

RJT

2.53/5  rDev +5.4%

This is currently on my "Wants" list and it will remain there because I want it in a CAN. I am trying to bump up my bottle numbers to (at least) 400 so that I may re-dedicate myself to The CANQuest (TM) without the feeling of guilt that I seem to be experiencing lately. Guilt, hah!

I will say this for the AALs - they are pretty. I got a solid finger of rocky, bone-white head with good retention from my pour. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. Just beautiful to look at and a razzberry to Greg Koch and his "Fizzy yellow beer is for sissies" act. I am a visual guy as evidence by my Film Studies certificate and my lifelong love of reading. I like to look and watch and I will not apologize for it. Nose smelled like the interior of a silo at the end of the season - fermented corn sweetness overlaying a grapey quality. Ooof. I wonder if high fructose corn syrup might have been one of the adjuncts used in its production. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a fairly innocuous lager sweetness in the mouth. It really was not as bad as the nose led me to expect. I have had MUCH worse, believe me. Finish was slightly dry and still pretty bland, overall. Call that damning with faint praise.

1.2/5  rDev -50%

The beer that got Chuck Liddell knocked out. A darker yellow than expected, no head, lacing, seriously why bother? Aroma is of alcohol and a bit of dumpster when collectors are on strike.

Hot, hot alcohol head in this one. Horrible aftertaste. I really can't hang with this one. Gets warm and gets even worse. It's cheap I guess, it has that going for it. Blech.

3.7/5  rDev +54.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mickey's Ice (brewed ale [LOL]) is a much better version of Mickey's. Another example of the "ice" process actually improving the base beer. It's worth nothing that Mickey's Ice doesn't have the rough edges that almost all macro ice lagers have, even the smooth ones like Keystone Ice and Milwaukee's Best Ice.

As always, reviewed within the style.

A: I'm honestly not going to pour this out of the 24 oz. can. Sorry. I've had it from 40's a few times and I can tell you that it foams up, a lot. That seems typical for SAB-Miller malt liquors as Steel Reserve does the same thing.

S: Smell is definitely better than regular Mickey's, which has that old man-sweat socks-PBR smell. Surprisingly boozy for only 5.8% ABV. Strong alcohol and metallic smell. While it isn't horribly inviting, it isn't off-putting either and that says a lot in this price range.

T: The best description I've ever encountered for the taste of Mickey's Ice is that it resembles beer mixed with salty butter. I swear that this beer will leave your lips salty. It is a slightly stronger tasting Mickey's without the sharp edges. Finishes with no aftertaste. This just dies on its way out. Seriously salty.

M: Mickey's Ice has an amazing mouthfeel to it, one of the best in my opinion. The carbonation comes on strong then fades to a creaminess. Sharp, then smooth. Very enjoyable. Reminds me of a slightly creamier Icehouse, which is another Miller product with an enjoyable mouthfeel.

O: This is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever come across. There is a great balance between alcohol %, taste, and mouthfeel.

This beer is a favorite of mine when traveling. It is good for unwinding in the hotel room but won't leave you feeling like crap in the morning.

3.11/5  rDev +29.6%

This is another beer in my series of trying adjunct lagers. Poured into a nonic at 35 degrees.

Appearance: A two finger white foamy bubbly head that has some retention. The color of the beer is a medium amber with copper hues. The clarity of the beer is clear to brilliant. There is a lot of carbonation in the beer, its typically for this style. The head is leaving lacing on the glass.

Nose: A mild corn and malt aroma. There is a subtle apple note and a light corn sweetness. In the background of the beer there are light floral and lemon hints.

Taste: A subtle corn/rice flavor. There is some cloying malt amongst the corn/rice flavor. There are notes of apples, floral, lemon, and corn sweetness. The mouthfeel of the beer is slightly flat, with some astringent dryness.

Overall: The body of the beer is light and so is the finish. Surprisingly this adjunct lager fits its style really well, therefore its going to get a decent rating. The flavors aren't bad and its easily drinkable.

3.7/5  rDev +54.2%

Drank from a 32oz bottle.

A: I do not drink this from the glass and never will, I'm guessing a palled yellow.

S: Non-existent, maybe a little corn or roasted malt.

T: A raunchy mix of corn and malts, with a little sugar thrown in to pass through.

M: Wonderful, smooth and like water.

D: It is one of the best. A great choice for malt liquor and something that you need to experience I highly recommend it, even if you're a beer snob and drain pour it. That probably means you've gone to far and need to enjoy the big mac to an filet mignon.

2.23/5  rDev -7.1%

mark thanks for killing me with this one.

A: Pours a clear pale yellow with a tall foamy head. Good retention, moving on.

S: Aromas of corn, bread, and crackers. Very grainy.

T: a corny watery fizzy mess of a concoction.

M: Light fizzy meh.

D: About as drinkable as a horrible beer can be.

1.5/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I guess is the sheer volume of micky's was enough this iced beer should do the trick. god, why have I set out on the bad beer pilgrimage?! let me go back to my sweet belgians and my robust stouts! I have a hard time distinguishing between all this garbage: head? yeah, considering im pouring this directly down into a glass. body? this this is ephemeral. skip this and go for olde english if your pressed for money.

2.73/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance is a straw color with a quick dissipating crisp head. Smell has a very light adjunct grain to it. Taste is very light for an ice beer again with the adjuct graininess. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. Being watered down it makes for a great warm weather ice beer that will quench with moderate alchohol.

3.21/5  rDev +33.8%

Poured from a green 40 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of corn and malts. Taste is just like it smells, malts and corn. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a mediocre beer.

3.3/5  rDev +37.5%

A: Crisp Clear Amber
S: Grainy Adjunct hops
T: Light lagery
M: light with a small amount of carbonation

Mickey's Ice is okay beer. I have been drinking this 40 for years. The 40 oz has a big following and i consider myself part of it. You can grab a 32 of this for under 2 dollars, and makes a great sippin, swillin, bulls@#$tin brew.

1.18/5  rDev -50.8%

Quite unenjoyable indeed. Pours a clear yellow with a weak white head. Nose has corn, rice and hop extract. Taste isn't much better. Quite bitter with some old grassy flavors. Thin body is hard to drink. I may have to say this is worst than the original Mickey's.

2.08/5  rDev -13.3%

Mickey's ice? Ice brewed ale stated on label. 5.8% alcohol.

A- Poured in to a long pilsner glass that ended in a junk load of foam that was like an aggravated soda in a can. Mild straw yellow similar to others of this nature.

S- Very light corn , barley , and metal.

T- The same as smell just even more obvious metallic tastes with light corn hints, but for a ice Adjunct beer I could handle one of these on a warm day.

M-D- Mouthfeel upfront is a mildly carbonated burst with a slightly slick oil feeling on the tongue after inital drink.

So so but not the worst by far, but far from the best... cheers

rev. 07/22/11

2.23/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a clear, pale golden yellow. Very little head, but what head is there is white. Suprisingly it smells like malt liquor. A lot of cereal grains in the aroma and taste. Also a very metallic taste. Average texture, not thin or chewy. Taste was not pleasant and not recommended for a session beer.

Mickey's Ice from Miller Brewing Co.