Mickey's Ice - Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey's IceMickey's Ice

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-14-2002)
woodychandler

2.6/5  rDev +5.7%

This is currently on my "Wants" list and it will remain there because I want it in a CAN. I am trying to bump up my bottle numbers to (at least) 400 so that I may re-dedicate myself to The CANQuest (TM) without the feeling of guilt that I seem to be experiencing lately. Guilt, hah!

I will say this for the AALs - they are pretty. I got a solid finger of rocky, bone-white head with good retention from my pour. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. Just beautiful to look at and a razzberry to Greg Koch and his "Fizzy yellow beer is for sissies" act. I am a visual guy as evidence by my Film Studies certificate and my lifelong love of reading. I like to look and watch and I will not apologize for it. Nose smelled like the interior of a silo at the end of the season - fermented corn sweetness overlaying a grapey quality. Ooof. I wonder if high fructose corn syrup might have been one of the adjuncts used in its production. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a fairly innocuous lager sweetness in the mouth. It really was not as bad as the nose led me to expect. I have had MUCH worse, believe me. Finish was slightly dry and still pretty bland, overall. Call that damning with faint praise.

12-05-2010 17:23:26 | More by woodychandler
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.18/5  rDev -52%

The beer that got Chuck Liddell knocked out. A darker yellow than expected, no head, lacing, seriously why bother? Aroma is of alcohol and a bit of dumpster when collectors are on strike.

Hot, hot alcohol head in this one. Horrible aftertaste. I really can't hang with this one. Gets warm and gets even worse. It's cheap I guess, it has that going for it. Blech.

08-21-2010 23:37:27 | More by Beerandraiderfan
troobie

3.83/5  rDev +55.7%

Mickey's Ice is a much better version of Mickey's. One of the instances where the "ice" process actually improves the beer.

I'm honestly not going to pour this out of the 24 oz. can. Sorry. I've had it from 40's a few times and I can tell you that it foams up, a lot. That seems typical for SAB-Miller malt liquors as Steel Reserve does the same thing.

Smell is definitely better than regular Mickey's, which has that old man-sweat socks-PBR smell. Surprisingly boozy for only 5.8% ABV. Strong alcohol and metallic smell. While it isn't horribly inviting, it isn't off-putting either and that says a lot in this price range.

The best description I've ever encountered for the taste of Mickey's Ice is that it resembles beer mixed with salty butter. I swear that this beer will leave your lips salty. It is a slightly stronger tasting Mickey's without the sharp edges. Finishes with no aftertaste. This just dies on its way out. Seriously salty.

Mickey's Ice has an amazing mouthfeel to it, one of the best in my opinion. The carbonation comes on strong then fades to a creaminess. Chewy. Sharp, then smooth. Very enjoyable.

This is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever come across. There is a great balance between alcohol %, taste, and mouthfeel.

This beer is a favorite of mine when traveling. It is good for unwinding in the hotel room but won't leave you feeling like crap in the morning.

08-13-2010 09:40:28 | More by troobie
bundy462

2.55/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Pale yellow with not much of a head.

S: Grain, slight malt, corn.

T: Boozy malt backbone with a slight hop bite that offers some bitterness as it finishes very clean.

M: Watery, hence smooth.

O: Goes down pretty easy because it's very much like drinking water with boozy hint.

06-22-2010 03:48:37 | More by bundy462
colts9016

Idaho

3.08/5  rDev +25.2%

This is another beer in my series of trying adjunct lagers. Poured into a nonic at 35 degrees.

Appearance: A two finger white foamy bubbly head that has some retention. The color of the beer is a medium amber with copper hues. The clarity of the beer is clear to brilliant. There is a lot of carbonation in the beer, its typically for this style. The head is leaving lacing on the glass.

Nose: A mild corn and malt aroma. There is a subtle apple note and a light corn sweetness. In the background of the beer there are light floral and lemon hints.

Taste: A subtle corn/rice flavor. There is some cloying malt amongst the corn/rice flavor. There are notes of apples, floral, lemon, and corn sweetness. The mouthfeel of the beer is slightly flat, with some astringent dryness.

Overall: The body of the beer is light and so is the finish. Surprisingly this adjunct lager fits its style really well, therefore its going to get a decent rating. The flavors aren't bad and its easily drinkable.

05-12-2010 18:59:35 | More by colts9016
Lacesoutcody

3.73/5  rDev +51.6%

Drank from a 32oz bottle.

A: I do not drink this from the glass and never will, I'm guessing a palled yellow.

S: Non-existent, maybe a little corn or roasted malt.

T: A raunchy mix of corn and malts, with a little sugar thrown in to pass through.

M: Wonderful, smooth and like water.

D: It is one of the best. A great choice for malt liquor and something that you need to experience I highly recommend it, even if you're a beer snob and drain pour it. That probably means you've gone to far and need to enjoy the big mac to an filet mignon.

04-19-2010 00:09:33 | More by Lacesoutcody
tpd975

2.2/5  rDev -10.6%

mark thanks for killing me with this one.

A: Pours a clear pale yellow with a tall foamy head. Good retention, moving on.

S: Aromas of corn, bread, and crackers. Very grainy.

T: a corny watery fizzy mess of a concoction.

M: Light fizzy meh.

D: About as drinkable as a horrible beer can be.

03-11-2010 02:58:32 | More by tpd975
erz316

Indiana

1.5/5  rDev -39%

I guess is the sheer volume of micky's was enough this iced beer should do the trick. god, why have I set out on the bad beer pilgrimage?! let me go back to my sweet belgians and my robust stouts! I have a hard time distinguishing between all this garbage: head? yeah, considering im pouring this directly down into a glass. body? this this is ephemeral. skip this and go for olde english if your pressed for money.

01-31-2010 01:39:55 | More by erz316
Bookseeb

Washington

2.78/5  rDev +13%

Appearance is a straw color with a quick dissipating crisp head. Smell has a very light adjunct grain to it. Taste is very light for an ice beer again with the adjuct graininess. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. Being watered down it makes for a great warm weather ice beer that will quench with moderate alchohol.

01-20-2010 04:34:57 | More by Bookseeb
tone77

3.2/5  rDev +30.1%

Poured from a green 40 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of corn and malts. Taste is just like it smells, malts and corn. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a mediocre beer.

10-21-2009 01:15:16 | More by tone77
DookDrinkyCrow

Maryland

3.3/5  rDev +34.1%

A: Crisp Clear Amber
S: Grainy Adjunct hops
T: Light lagery
M: light with a small amount of carbonation

Mickey's Ice is okay beer. I have been drinking this 40 for years. The 40 oz has a big following and i consider myself part of it. You can grab a 32 of this for under 2 dollars, and makes a great sippin, swillin, bulls@#$tin brew.

08-04-2009 20:03:18 | More by DookDrinkyCrow
rye726

Colorado

1.15/5  rDev -53.3%

Quite unenjoyable indeed. Pours a clear yellow with a weak white head. Nose has corn, rice and hop extract. Taste isn't much better. Quite bitter with some old grassy flavors. Thin body is hard to drink. I may have to say this is worst than the original Mickey's.

07-14-2009 06:50:37 | More by rye726
wesbrownyeah

2.13/5  rDev -13.4%

Mickey's ice? Ice brewed ale stated on label. 5.8% alcohol.

A- Poured in to a long pilsner glass that ended in a junk load of foam that was like an aggravated soda in a can. Mild straw yellow similar to others of this nature.

S- Very light corn , barley , and metal.

T- The same as smell just even more obvious metallic tastes with light corn hints, but for a ice Adjunct beer I could handle one of these on a warm day.

M-D- Mouthfeel upfront is a mildly carbonated burst with a slightly slick oil feeling on the tongue after inital drink.

So so but not the worst by far, but far from the best... cheers

rev. 07/22/11

04-19-2009 05:18:09 | More by wesbrownyeah
tbeck

Washington

2.23/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a clear, pale golden yellow. Very little head, but what head is there is white. Suprisingly it smells like malt liquor. A lot of cereal grains in the aroma and taste. Also a very metallic taste. Average texture, not thin or chewy. Taste was not pleasant and not recommended for a session beer.

11-04-2008 04:31:16 | More by tbeck
Floydster

2.63/5  rDev +6.9%

24 ounce can from a 7-11 near my apartment

Poured into a frosted mug

Like most ice beers, i did not find this better than the regular brew

They call it a lager, but I did not really taste that, more of a malt liquor like its predecessor

Taste was not that great, but it did last long

Packs a punch, so amoderate amount can be drank

09-11-2007 21:49:46 | More by Floydster
matty

3.38/5  rDev +37.4%

Your everyday run of the mill brew. Normal pale yellow coloring,good taste with just a pinch of sweetness.Nothing bad to say,although this taste duplicates that of a lot of domestic beers.It's probably worth try there's just nothing special about it that will jump out at you.

07-17-2007 03:46:59 | More by matty
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.05/5  rDev -16.7%

This pours from 22oz bottle(best by 06 18 07) a very lively and clear medium gold with a smallish head of foam. That soon shrinks to an island in the middle with a little lacing.

The smell has that typical big brewery nose to it. Sweet malt, maybe a bit of corn.

The taste has a mix of sweet malt, corn and some harsh hop bitterness that starts in the background and ends up in the finish...not a very good aftertaste with this one but thankfully, it's not long lasting. Right about midway through, the flavours really fall flat and it becomes very watery in body. I like the regular Mickey's more....I can't recommend this at all.

06-04-2007 22:28:05 | More by Bitterbill
JoeyBeerBelly

2.3/5  rDev -6.5%

bought a single 16 oz can on a whim

poured in to a pint glass, yellow gold color with a medium white head, fair amount of lacing.

smells like malt and corn

tatse isn't horrible, can't taste the alcohol and taste some malts.

again, not horrible, but it doesn't really make me want more.

I'm not a big fan of ice beers and I won't buy this again.

04-15-2007 13:32:51 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
Redrover

3.13/5  rDev +27.2%

Mickey’s Ice from a 16 oz can.

Beer pours a light yellow with a fairly massive and dense head. Not a bad looker.

The smell is of adjuncts/grains. Smells like an amped up High Life with all that corn. Still no foul or off odors.

Taste is sweet and grainy. Slight, almost metallic bitterness late. Not much else springs to mind. Nothing harsh and the 5.8% is well integrated as I don't pick up any alcohol. Maybe my expectations were low, but this was better than expected.

The beer has aggressive carbonation. This works well with the beer and compensates for a slightly thin mouth.

Drinkable for what it is. I would have another.

03-23-2007 15:09:07 | More by Redrover
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.28/5  rDev -7.3%

"Ice Ice Baby!"

--Robert Matthew Van Winkle (a.k.a. Vanilla Ice)

What better day to do Macro Smackdown XIII, a head to head beatdown between two ice beers, than a day that is... let's see... 0 degrees with a -18 wind chill. I have no idea what an 'ice beer' is or how it differs from any other macro lager. A little more alcohol is the only difference as far as I can tell. Let's see how they stack up.

Mickey's Ice is pale amber, which is still a shade darker than the extremely pale amber of Keystone. The cap is an attractive shade of off-white, not dingy in the least, and is much nicer looking on this beer. It has a creamy, sticky texture and is laying down a surprising amount of lace. I'm surprised and pleased.

The nose is on the mildly pleasant side; considering the style of course. It's grain-like with a modest whiff of musky hoppiness. It's also wildly different from the nose on the other beer. I like this one better.

This is simple beer. It's also inoffensive beer, which puts it well ahead of most macro lagers. The flavor profile consists of barley malt, and at least one adjunct I'll bet, as well as the same musky hops noted in the nose. For some reason, I don't like it as well as I thought I would (relatively speaking) after having smelled it. No worries Miller, I just drank a mouthful of Keystone Ice and the MacSmack XIII crown is yours in a runaway.

The mouthfeel is light without being overly watery and holds up fairly well throughout the mouthful. The carbonation is neither too much, nor too little. A fat lot of good that does when the beer isn't otherwise pleasing in the mouth. Finally, a dead heat.

Mickey's Ice is okay beer. I'm always pleased when I find an AML that's drinkable. Not that I'd ever buy it again, but it's always nice to know in case the pickings are especially slim. Even though it's far from wonderful, it had no difficulty slapping the snot out of its impressively nasty competitor. Mickey's is further proof that, as far as I'm concerned, 'M' is the clear superior of both 'B' and 'C' when it comes to beer of this general style.

02-02-2007 13:40:12 | More by BuckeyeNation
Drew966

2.55/5  rDev +3.7%

Mickey's Ice pours a typical macro yellow with a white head from a green thirty two ounce bottle. Nasty smell, adjunct dominated by corn. Taste is a bit on the sweet side, dominated by adjunct flavors. Okay as far as this type of beer goes, but not worth going out of your way for.

07-30-2006 23:24:10 | More by Drew966
ski271

3.03/5  rDev +23.2%

Medium-pale gold with a small, white, foamy head that diminished to a light film within a minute or two of being poured. Smells of weak grain and lots of corn. Hardly any detectable hops. More of the same in the taste, with a little apple. It has a medium-light body, lightly oily texture and moderate-low carbonation. Of course this beer isn’t very good, but when you’re slumming it, you can do a lot worse than this. Not terrible and not offensive, a rarety among ultra-cheapos.

05-05-2006 16:02:59 | More by ski271
nota

2.55/5  rDev +3.7%

I really don't know what this ice brewed ale on bottle is all about when BA list it as a macro lager and all of you call it a malt liquor...anyway I digress. As it turns out this was not as bad as I was expecting, but not saying it was good either. Pours yellow in color and very heavily carbonated. Sweet malt , corn and vegetable like grassy celery was my impresstion on the taste. I did taste a hint of alcohol at finish. I really would not of been able to drink more that the 40 oz I had.

02-05-2006 14:41:22 | More by nota
KoG

Nevada

1.3/5  rDev -47.2%

Looks promising in a sort of ugly way. Not horrible, but still fizzy and yellow.

Smell is, umm... I thinnk wet barn describes it as acurately as possible. Hay and Corn mixed with horse.

Tastes like a barn too!! Put some corn syrup on a horse, lick it off, and VOILA! Mickey's Ice. Left a weird syrupy coating on my tongue. It was all I could to to choke it down, even cold it was awful...

03-27-2005 03:24:06 | More by KoG
TastyTaste

3.13/5  rDev +27.2%

Listed as an "Ice Brewed Ale" on the bottle, for what it's worth. I drank it straight from the 40 bottle. Really not too bad, when compared with other 40's. Taste is fiarly non-offensive, and skunk free. Does have a taste of adjuncts, which the alcohol goes a long way to cover up. I did wake up with a hangover the morning after a couple of these, but overall they are good for the price.

06-13-2004 14:24:24 | More by TastyTaste
Mickey's Ice from Miller Brewing Co.