Mickey's Ice - Miller Brewing Co.

Mickey's IceMickey's Ice

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-14-2002)
3.13/5  rDev +29.9%

Mickey’s Ice from a 16 oz can.

Beer pours a light yellow with a fairly massive and dense head. Not a bad looker.

The smell is of adjuncts/grains. Smells like an amped up High Life with all that corn. Still no foul or off odors.

Taste is sweet and grainy. Slight, almost metallic bitterness late. Not much else springs to mind. Nothing harsh and the 5.8% is well integrated as I don't pick up any alcohol. Maybe my expectations were low, but this was better than expected.

The beer has aggressive carbonation. This works well with the beer and compensates for a slightly thin mouth.

Drinkable for what it is. I would have another.

Redrover, Mar 23, 2007
2.28/5  rDev -5.4%

"Ice Ice Baby!"

--Robert Matthew Van Winkle (a.k.a. Vanilla Ice)

What better day to do Macro Smackdown XIII, a head to head beatdown between two ice beers, than a day that is... let's see... 0 degrees with a -18 wind chill. I have no idea what an 'ice beer' is or how it differs from any other macro lager. A little more alcohol is the only difference as far as I can tell. Let's see how they stack up.

Mickey's Ice is pale amber, which is still a shade darker than the extremely pale amber of Keystone. The cap is an attractive shade of off-white, not dingy in the least, and is much nicer looking on this beer. It has a creamy, sticky texture and is laying down a surprising amount of lace. I'm surprised and pleased.

The nose is on the mildly pleasant side; considering the style of course. It's grain-like with a modest whiff of musky hoppiness. It's also wildly different from the nose on the other beer. I like this one better.

This is simple beer. It's also inoffensive beer, which puts it well ahead of most macro lagers. The flavor profile consists of barley malt, and at least one adjunct I'll bet, as well as the same musky hops noted in the nose. For some reason, I don't like it as well as I thought I would (relatively speaking) after having smelled it. No worries Miller, I just drank a mouthful of Keystone Ice and the MacSmack XIII crown is yours in a runaway.

The mouthfeel is light without being overly watery and holds up fairly well throughout the mouthful. The carbonation is neither too much, nor too little. A fat lot of good that does when the beer isn't otherwise pleasing in the mouth. Finally, a dead heat.

Mickey's Ice is okay beer. I'm always pleased when I find an AML that's drinkable. Not that I'd ever buy it again, but it's always nice to know in case the pickings are especially slim. Even though it's far from wonderful, it had no difficulty slapping the snot out of its impressively nasty competitor. Mickey's is further proof that, as far as I'm concerned, 'M' is the clear superior of both 'B' and 'C' when it comes to beer of this general style.

BuckeyeNation, Feb 02, 2007
2.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Mickey's Ice pours a typical macro yellow with a white head from a green thirty two ounce bottle. Nasty smell, adjunct dominated by corn. Taste is a bit on the sweet side, dominated by adjunct flavors. Okay as far as this type of beer goes, but not worth going out of your way for.

Drew966, Jul 31, 2006
3.03/5  rDev +25.7%

Medium-pale gold with a small, white, foamy head that diminished to a light film within a minute or two of being poured. Smells of weak grain and lots of corn. Hardly any detectable hops. More of the same in the taste, with a little apple. It has a medium-light body, lightly oily texture and moderate-low carbonation. Of course this beer isn’t very good, but when you’re slumming it, you can do a lot worse than this. Not terrible and not offensive, a rarety among ultra-cheapos.

ski271, May 05, 2006
2.55/5  rDev +5.8%

I really don't know what this ice brewed ale on bottle is all about when BA list it as a macro lager and all of you call it a malt liquor...anyway I digress. As it turns out this was not as bad as I was expecting, but not saying it was good either. Pours yellow in color and very heavily carbonated. Sweet malt , corn and vegetable like grassy celery was my impresstion on the taste. I did taste a hint of alcohol at finish. I really would not of been able to drink more that the 40 oz I had.

nota, Feb 05, 2006
1.3/5  rDev -46.1%

Looks promising in a sort of ugly way. Not horrible, but still fizzy and yellow.

Smell is, umm... I thinnk wet barn describes it as acurately as possible. Hay and Corn mixed with horse.

Tastes like a barn too!! Put some corn syrup on a horse, lick it off, and VOILA! Mickey's Ice. Left a weird syrupy coating on my tongue. It was all I could to to choke it down, even cold it was awful...

KoG, Mar 27, 2005
3.13/5  rDev +29.9%

Listed as an "Ice Brewed Ale" on the bottle, for what it's worth. I drank it straight from the 40 bottle. Really not too bad, when compared with other 40's. Taste is fiarly non-offensive, and skunk free. Does have a taste of adjuncts, which the alcohol goes a long way to cover up. I did wake up with a hangover the morning after a couple of these, but overall they are good for the price.

TastyTaste, Jun 13, 2004
3.18/5  rDev +32%

Appearance – Light, hazy yellow with some good carbonation and a decent head that left a little lacing. This doesn’t look half bad.

Smell – Yes, it’s grain and alcohol, but the grain smells kind of smooth and I’d swear there was a hop or two in there.

Taste – Not bad, actually. Not good, but the grain isn’t offensive and is smooth. The finish is cheap candy sugar but it is not raunchy like most malt liquors.

Mouthfeel – I felt that this was the ale’s strong point. The overall smoothness, big(ger) body (not medium but well better than most other MLs), and somewhat dry character made this bearable.

Drinkability – One of the few MLs that will stay out of my sink. Good job, Miller.

RoyalT, Apr 08, 2004
3.13/5  rDev +29.9%

Bought in the green 22 ozer.."Ice Brewed Ale"
Not too bad of an appearance for a malt liquor ..nice solid golden honey with a nice sized white head which persists.
again I was surprised that this actually smelled acceptable..mostly sweet maltiness.
Im quite impressed by the taste of this..its like a subdued pilsner..quite malty and with a tiny hop kick..but for a Malt liquor the maltiness is tasty.
Let down in the mouthfeel however..very sticky and cloying.
This is a big surprise ..better than regular Mickeys and must be one of the best malt liquors out there.

Reidrover, Feb 20, 2004
2.42/5  rDev +0.4%

Cheap and alcoholic. Exactly what I need to watch the Red Sox on TV...

Visually, it's your generic straw yellow. Remarkable number of small bubbles, and a decent head. Still, nothing too impressive.

As for the smell....this stuff reeks. Odd sort of muted skunky cheap beer smell. Hints of something that may or may not be corn. One of the more unappealing scents I've come across lately.

Luckily, it rather lacks taste altogether. A strange and unexpected creaminess adds quite a bit to the drinkability. The mouthfeel on this one is strangely pleasent, considering the scent on it.

One of the best cheap beers I've ever picked up. That's not saying much, but I think I'd take this over most of the other "beer for bums" swill out there. Shockingly drinkable.

SetarconeX, Oct 15, 2003
2.58/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer will always have a place in my heart since this is what my friends and I would pay bums outside the liquer store to get for us! My best friend and I were recently low on cash and decided to get a coulple of 40's of this swill and now I know why I stopped drinking it. It tastes allright at first, but as it rolls down your tounge it has one of the nasty-est aftertastes I have ever experienced in my life! I think next time we are going for cheep beer, we will go for regular Mickey's or Bud Ice.

Dmann, Sep 22, 2003
3.53/5  rDev +46.5%

40 oz. bottle consumed on the corner of 6th and Fairmount from within a brown paper bag. Only the top of the green glass bottle and the black screw-cap are visible.... only kidding!
It pours a clear yellow body with a rocky bright white head that holds surprisingly well, and leaves some very nice lace throughout the glass. The nose expresses a clean, lightly sweet, and somewhat grainy malt. The body is firm and it's lightly crisp upfront, but becomes creamier as it crosses the palate. The flavor is a well-balanced combination of lightly grainy semi-sweet malt and an underlying hop bitterness (no flavor or aroma is involved). The alcohol is well-cloaked throughout (of course it's only 5.8%abv), and it finishes surprisingly dry. There's obviously a good deal of adjunct involved here (noting the lack of grainy flavor), but it's smooth and refreshing. On the other hand, it doesn't deliver the richer malt taste that's expected of the style.

NeroFiddled, Mar 29, 2003
1.9/5  rDev -21.2%

this is one sick drink most of you will want to avoid, but for those of us in college with no money this is always an option. As far as dirty foties are concerned this is my personal favorite, with the closest competitor being OE mind you. Three of these will get you rocking, but tomorrow you will regret it.

Tballz420, Mar 14, 2003
1.78/5  rDev -26.1%

This is the only 40 that I will consider drinking. It is quite bad though. If this beer is really cold, I can drink it just fine. The 40oz makes it hard to keep it cold to the last drop. Solution: drink fast. If you still can't handle this brew, add vermouth. That's a real mixed drink, mmmmm.

scottum, Feb 27, 2003
1.83/5  rDev -24.1%

Ultra translucent, golden hue, frothy white head, decent size and retention, did lace well. The nose is killer, sweet, husky, musty, and alcoholic, not very pleasant or inviting. Thus you regretfully take a sip… husky, grainy, sweet, the alcohol burns. There is an unpleasant rawness to it, which opposes the smooth mouthfeel. Heartburn inducing. I’ll try any beer once… one was enough. All in all, this is another bad Ice Beer. Skip it.

bditty187, Jan 24, 2003
2.45/5  rDev +1.7%

Oh my...Mickey's Ice...

I was familiar with regular Mickey's but had no idea this one existed. To be honest, it isn't terrible, and is actually somewhat quirst-quenching. Pours out to a darker than usual yellow-gold in the glass with a wispy, white head. Aroma is that of cooked corn and slight malt. Taste is sweet, probably because of said corn. It doesn't finish with that nasty, alcohol-laden finish of most malt liquors. While not an IPA, stout or Pale, it is what it is, a straight-forward, decent Malt Liquor.

Rock on Mickey's Ice...

proc, Dec 18, 2002
2.65/5  rDev +10%

Mickey’s Ice pours a fair amber from a green glass 40 oz bottle. Head is foamy and dense at about three fingers. As the head collapses thick Lacey clumps of foam stick to the side of the glass.

Nose is a damp mineral sulfur with hints of malt and damp egg shell. Palate is very sweet corn and a small amount of sweet malt with a slight hops.

Mickey’s Ice is a drinkable Ice 40oz after about half way through the bottle... but then most 40’s are anyway.

BeerBob, Sep 14, 2002
Mickey's Ice from Miller Brewing Co.