Sharp's - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-29-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sharp's Alström Bros
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.76/5  rDev -3.8%

When you think this style couldn't be worse than O'Douls, you try one of these when your wife hands it to you. Honestly, these shouldn't be considered beer.

1.03/5  rDev -43.7%

this is some fabulously bad stuff.

it hardly tastes like beer. it tastes as though someone put sweet yeast rolls into a blender with a few cups of water and pulverized the stuff into drinkable form.

of the three US domestic NA brews I've tried, this is the only one that offended my palate enough that I won't give it a second try.

2.95/5  rDev +61.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance : Pours a pale pale straw yellow color, bordering on clear. The head is 1 finger tall and actually stays around unlike the Coors N/A I tried last night. Lace is left on the sides of the glass.

Aroma : Mashed carrots, yam, peas, potato. A faint bit of plastic. Mostly just vegetal smells. Bleh.

Flavor : A faint bit of mashed veggies which disappears rather quickly and develops into more of a roasted fire corn flavor. Faint club soda and brown potato skin finish off the taste.

Mouthfeel : A bit more present than the Coors N/A that I had last night. Very carbonated, on the heavy side of light bodied, ends sparkling like club soda.

Overall : Not absolutely horrid, I could possibly get used to this for how cheap it is while I heal from my yeast overgrowth. Soon I'll be doing actual beer reviews again, but for now it's time to explore the world of near-beers.

2.99/5  rDev +63.4%

Giving my liver a break while I am on medication, so more NA reviews...

Pours to a generous white head that lasts and laces. Color is a pale straw. Aroma is weak with slight bread or corn smell. Flavor is weak and grain-forward but not metallic or offensive. Nice grainy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is appropriately carbonated and refreshing, not chalky. Overall not bad for what it is. Does not try too hard, so there's not too much to mess up.

1.04/5  rDev -43.2%

I tasted it! I'd taste it again, if and only if your pointed a loaded pistol at me while I was dying of thirst and promised me a Young's to wash the taste out of my mouth

3.63/5  rDev +98.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A problem with a lot of these N/A reviews is beer drinkers use to full alcohol beers trying to gauge the quality and taste of N/A or low alcohol beers. They are different animals. If your pallet is use to alcohol in beer, then low alcohol beers will not taste right. Likewise if I drink an alcohol beer, it tastes like someone put 2 shots of rubbing alcohol in it making an objective observation difficult for me.

That said, I rated this among its low alcohol peers. Sharp's is a decent, quality beverage. It's appearance is somewhat light, as is the taste. It is a refreshing beer, but it doesn't have any remarkable qualities. Its aroma is that of a typical American lager, again on the lighter side. It's slightly above average and makes what I like to call a good utility beer - good after mowing the grass, while out on a boat, or watching kids. It's a thin beer that could use more grain flavor.

2.61/5  rDev +42.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pale gold with one inch of white head and remarkably lots of fine lacing. Nice looking.
Smell is a tiny amount of bread dough.
Taste is pure sweet bready malt.
Mouthfeel is alright with good carbonation.
Overall a malt beverage with the emphasis on malt. I was hoping it would at least have the Miller High Life amount of hops but actually closer to an AB Natural Light N/A.

4.24/5  rDev +131.7%

This is the first N/A beer I've ever tried.. this will be an interesting review.

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a thin, frothy white head that dissipates after 30 seconds. Leaves a very nice lacing.

Smell - Has a subtle sweetness, bread, and grains.

Taste - Just like the smell.. Has a light sweetness and corn flavor, very malty, and buttery bread.

Mouthfeel - Light-medium bodied with medium carbonation. It's very crisp.

Overall - I wasn't expecting much from this before I tried it.. but this is exactly what an N/A should be. It's delicious.

2.25/5  rDev +23%

My first NA. Sold at Total Wine for $.99. Why not?

A - transparent gold with a quick-to-disappear white head

S - non-existent

T - sweet bread

M - crisp, light to medium bodied

This tastes like an ill-begotten dessert. The sweet bread flavor is not welcomed; almost like unfinished pizza dough. If it weren't for my curiosity I wouldn't have bought this. And I won't buy it again.

3.17/5  rDev +73.2%

It pours out a pale uric-yellow with a filmy head that's gone in an instant. Scent of field/rice paddy.Muted malt taste, like if you were to add MORE water to a stadium beer!It's nearly tasteless,but fizzy carbonation; leaves no aftertaste whatsoever! There are many better Non Alchoholic choices!

3.84/5  rDev +109.8%

Pale straw color with no head or lacing.

It smells grainy, bready, malty.

It's very carbonated, very crisp and refreshing. It tastes like grains and white bread.

It's not an actual beer, so to speak. But it's a nice beverage if you ask me.

This is a good place to go if you ever need a low-alcohol beer.

1.53/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a pale yellow color, some carbonation, little fizzy white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy/ricy. The taste is slightly sweet, and mostly watery, not much going on here. Light Body. Not Drinkable, just had to try this one.

1.83/5  rDev 0%

at my father in laws you will frequently find these N/a beers and in fact i have traded for a few to give him new choices. this one was just soo off though it was not even funny. pale golden and fizzy light yellow with a relatively absent aroma that only slightly gave a light corn and grain mix. flavor again was like carbonated water with a oxidized after taste. overall one of the lightest tasting and pracically non existent beers i have ever had.

1.31/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Very light straw yellow appearance, lacking head etc. . . aroma was cooked vegetables, corn.

Taste, water was the most prominent of the alleged 4 staple ingredients here. No hops, malt nope. Strangely, had some kind of burn/heat to it I would normally associate with alcohol, but here? I dunno, defies logic, unless you just say it sucks, that's why.

I don't know that I would let a stray dog drink this.

a: pours a pale golden yellow color with about an inch of head that disappears very quickly leaving not even a trace of lace around in the edge of the glass. There is a lot of carbonation that continues to rise to the top of the beer

s: sweet malt aroma, no balance

t: sweet malt flavor, not balance

m: light bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, this is not a beer that I will sample again

2.1/5  rDev +14.8%

Barley soda! Yay!
Pours a sickly straw yellow with a thin white head and a complete lack of lacing. Smells of corn and grain and general dead things. Tastes like sweet corn with okra and some bitterness. Mouthfeel was very thin with too much carbonation. Drinkability was high because it has no alcohol, so go for it!

2.22/5  rDev +21.3%

CAN I get some love for the CANQuest and all of its crazy nuances? Well, CAN I?

This began much better than Pabst NA, with nothing going crazy when I cracked open the CAN. It poured with a finger of bone white head that made like Houdini and disappeared before my very eyes! Magic. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was strangely vegetable-like, reminiscent of farmer's market while in season. I do not think that I have ever encountered anything like this in a beer. Mouthfeel was thin, approaching medium, with a slight bitter bite and lots of carbonation on the tongue. Man, I CANnot get past the smell every time I lift the glass near my nose. The worst part is that the beer does not taste like it smells! How did they achieve this? Finish was slightly bitter, kind of tasty, not bad, actually. Still, it is not going into my cooler any time soon.

1.03/5  rDev -43.7%

Reviewed from notes. Had this while visiting a friend of mine adecided to give it a try. Extremely pale color with a small white head which fades quickly. I detect some corn in the aroma, not much else. Has a corn / cereal taste which is unpleasant. The mouthfeel is light as expected, and there is not much of a reason to try this again. I had it this time out of curiosity.

2.8/5  rDev +53%

Can't expect alot out of a low alcohol beer going in, but hey, im bored and beerless in prudhoe bay.

Pours a piss ass clear yellow fizzy typical what you expect pile of corn slop.

Nose is basically dead corn and light crisp...air.

Taste is water with some stale beer smell thrown in.

Nice and fizzy mouthfeel, same as any macro, alcoholic or not.

Drinkability is the same as carbonated water is.

Overall. The same thing you would expect from a macro, just not filling in the least. Lets be honest, you knew what this beer was when you picked it up. For one, its miller, and secondly, its NA. there are decent ones out there, but this one is just...well...what you would expect.

1.26/5  rDev -31.1%

Pours a watery golden yellow. Big frothy white foam.

No real aroma. No real flavor. Weak, watery ... why can't you get even a modicum of hops in to these things? Hops aren't alcoholic.

So disappointing. Need I go on about the mouthfeel/watery-esque nature?

1.7/5  rDev -7.1%

Got this from a convenience store, just to see what it was like. Not much to report.

Tastes very watery, has very little flavor to report. No reason really to drink this. There are other non-alcoholic/low alcohol beers that are much better than this one. Even O'Doul's beats this hands down.

The guy that produces this needs a good poke in the eye. It is products like this that give low/no alcohol beers a bad name.

Thank God I was on an 'All Inclusive' deal at the hotel and didn't pay to have this disgusting drink.

This beer was reviewed while on holiday in Tobago and almost ruined the whole two weeks! Very malty in the aroma stakes and a headless lager look about it, it is a malted barley, watery nasty.

1.03/5  rDev -43.7%

barfola. this stuff sucks. i am sorry to be so negative but the truth hurts. i was given this from a friend. after one taste from the bottle i axed for a glass so i could see it. it is pale with very little carbonation. smells like something stale. tastes terrible.

i am not sure why anyone would buy this. a cola or any soda would quench the thirst better and would not be insulting to anyone who likes beer.

suckem up and movem out.

1.26/5  rDev -31.1%

Since I'll be going to the dentist later this morning, and don't want to stumble, inebriated, into the chair, I thought that NA Shootout (With Blanks) V was a great way to start my day. On second thought, maybe a bomber of barleywine is the way to go. Gotta be better than novacaine, right?

Pale sunshine yellow that is a few shades lighter than the pale amber of the other beer. The bright white cap isn't bad considering the circumstances. It's fading faster and is depositing some of the finest-grained lace that I've ever seen. I wonder if something other than barley, hops, water and yeast is present.

I'm not impressed with the nose. It's incredibly weak and smells more like beer extract than beer. I'll stop short of calling it chemical-like, although it's pretty damn close. I hope the flavor goes in a different direction (what are the odds?), but I'm not holding my breath.

Unfortunately, Sharp's tastes as bad as it smells. Make that worse. The flavor reminds me of the smell of the Kellogg's plant in Battle Creek that we toured when I was a kid. Sodden grain with an underlying clay-like nastiness. I had to hold my nose then and I'm tempted to hold it now. I can barely keep drinking and plan to pour most of this bottle down the drain. Gack.

Neither one of the mouthfeels is anything to shout about. But then show me an NA beer with a mouthfeel that is. This one is light and is appropriately bubbled (I guess). It's hard to get past the flavor in order to break it down better than that.

Miller Sharp's is exhibit 'A' is what is wrong with low alcohol beer. I can't believe that in this day and age, breweries can't come up with a process that results is something better than this. Of course, having tasted a good portion of Miller's lineup, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

1.63/5  rDev -10.9%

this looks like your typical macro lager and smells like one as well, meaning not much aroma period other than some malt adjuncts if you try really hard. if they're gonna do an n/a beer, why not bring something to the table, like hops? anyways, this actually has MORE flavor than bud light, which is really sad. you could drink and endless amount of these, but why would you if potable water is readily available?

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Sharp's from Miller Brewing Co.