1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,478 | Reviews: 995 | Show All Ratings:
hoffhin2

3.25/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: golden color with a medium sized head. Lots of bubbles.

Smell: small hint of corn, plus hop smells.

Taste: Very crisp and light beer, some grains, not a lot of hops taste. Sort of a sweet taste.

Overall: Pretty average beer, from a macrobrewer and for the price I will say its an OK beer and one I do drink in college because of it.

04-14-2014 19:14:45 | More by hoffhin2
utopiajane

3.55/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This poured golden and with bright clarity, a fat head of white foam that did persist in the form of lace that clung to the glass. The nose is faint grain and a bit of corn. The taste follows the nose all the way. it's mild. It has a bit of corn girts, a touch of corn sweetness and not too much malt. The carbonation is ample and bites a bit. There is a sour taste on the back end. I can't place it. Is it the beginnings of metallic? is ti yeasty? It gives a slight pucker tothe finish and a nice edge to the drink.

This beer was actually quite pleasant. Had no off flavors, no fruitiness at all and drank easily and without effort. It did not develop any off flavors as it warmed. It leaves a touch of sweetness as it finishes dry.

04-03-2014 16:11:38 | More by utopiajane
vkv822

Oregon

3.26/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

16oz : tulip pint
best by: June 16, 2014

Clear, golden yellow with a foamy, white head with nice retention and foamy lacing.

Grassy, lightly sweet, grainy malts.

Medium body, fizzy, foamy carbonation.

This one receives a lot of hate, but it really is a decent beer for the style that it is. Unoffensive flavors, easy drinking.

04-01-2014 08:32:05 | More by vkv822
iheartmyTHO

Georgia

2.4/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The hipster in me really wants to like Miller High Life, but it is no means the champagne of beers. Each time I somehow end up drinking it, I just can't get over a weird musty flavor that this beer has. When I have it in a can, it does oddly taste slightly better than bottled, but still gross. If I'm going to go for a super cheap beer, I think I'm going to stick with PBR or Schlitz, since they have actual decent flavor compared to this swill.

03-31-2014 23:02:07 | More by iheartmyTHO
Scrapss

2.64/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from the 24 oz. ManCan into a 30 oz. wide mouthed ball jar with a custom pewter handle. We're gettin' FANCY ya'll

A: Standard AAL pale yellow with huge head that retreats into a thin fluffly head then a tight carbo-head about 2mm thick. Very clear.

S: Like a sewer. What the hell are they thinking? I mean euro pale lager is a distinct, but this is down right skunky sewer smells. Should have left it in the can! Pepe' Le'PEW + malty farts the next day. Ugh.

T: Once you get past that skunky sewer smell, the taste actually is kinda middle of the road. There is some malt there, the hops must be of the le'PEW varietal as mentioned because there is a hint of volatile sulphur or something on the palate. This is not the sulphur from original Rolling Rock water, this is like hydrides of sulphur, not methylated sulphur or other amoratic sulphur that is slightly less pungent.

M: Surprisingly, it finished clean and almost dry. little slickness on the center and a bit of lively carbo on the edges.

O: It's literally the middle of the pack as far as AAL goes. There is some redeming qualities to these brews, but the ones that have that chalky finish and skunky nose just kill it for the rest that might be decent.

03-29-2014 19:37:24 | More by Scrapss
username621

2.3/5  rDev -14.2%

I brought a 24 oz can from a local bodega. I usually drink craft but I decided to give the champagne of beers a try. I poured it into a wine glass and was surprised. It's golden hue and bubbly carbonation makes it look like champagne. Other than that there is nothing special about its appearance. It smells rather sweet, probably due to corn or other adjunct. When it came to taste, I was pleasantly surprised. I can actually taste a mild hop character. This paired with its smoothness makes for a easy drinking beer. While it is not my first choice, I would choose over other American macro brew.

03-26-2014 23:31:56 | More by username621
tmbgnicu

2.25/5  rDev -16%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I sometimes have one because of its placement in the Back to the Future films. And apparently I need to type 250 characters, so I will say this: Why does Biff complain about the McFlys only having lite beer when he's at their house? I guess the product placement was for the entire Miller line

03-24-2014 21:54:54 | More by tmbgnicu
reddragon13

Washington

4.45/5  rDev +66%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is the champagne of beers - and for good reason. This is the beer of choice for folks that just want to drink beer. Those that want a beer that tastes like a double latte with 1 shot of vanilla, 1/2 shot of hazelnut, and light foamy milk, should try one of the microbeers in your area. However, at its current price point, packaging, and taste, you cannot go wrong bringing a 6 pack of high lifes to your best friend's bbq.

03-22-2014 00:01:05 | More by reddragon13
PvtSnowball

2.48/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

32 ounce can purchased at the local quick mart.

A: Pale, translucent gold. Decent amount of head that dissipates quickly.

S: Nothing much to speak of, grain and alcohol.

T: Not awful but not exactly good either. More grain and booze.

M: Best part, better than expected. Smooth with some body.

O: Honestly what does one expect for under 2$ for 32 ounces? I have had worse.

03-18-2014 21:48:21 | More by PvtSnowball
cbutova

1.66/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Tallboy can reviewed over the weekend. I am pretty surprised it took this long to get this review in but kind of happy I waited. Full notes taken while consuming.

A- Poured from the tallboy can to two pint glasses, finally getting to the champagne of beers. Crystal clear, really!, uber pale golden body with a foamy white cap. Head rises to about two fingers and has poor to fair retention. Foamy ring leaves spotty lace and some patches.

S- Really, really not much going on here. Slight pale lager yeast and malts but pretty much have to search for it, beyond clean (in all aspects). Maybe a hint of fruit.

T- Opens up and some more going on here but really not a ton. Rice and pale cracked grains come to mind with a tiny hint of lager ester fruits. Bread and popcorn is about how I sum it up.

MF- Lightest possible body with a high carbonation attacking the taste buds. Texture is about the opposite of creamy, watery and fizzy.

I don't really know anymore. Somehow this doesn't taste like complete shit to me. I was more bothered by this when I was about 20-21 but now I find lager yeast hints. Leaves you wishing for more and lacks anything all that enjoyable.

03-05-2014 02:43:05 | More by cbutova
BrewThru_29

This is the only AAL that I can say I enjoy. While there is nothing special about it, there is also nothing offensive. For me, the mouthfeel is smooth and almost creamy, which is what makes this one for me. It's also cheaper than its bud, coors, miller counterparts.

03-04-2014 20:13:38 | More by BrewThru_29
nicholas2121

3.03/5  rDev +13.1%

Miller High is brewed by Miller. The Champagne of Beer. Been around since 1903. Pours out a Amber Color. This brew has a white head that says. The Smell is that of an american style beer. The taste is nothing special but it ok. Nothing bad, but nothing good. Overall, I give this a 3- not good ,but not bad. I may get this brew to switch it up from the Budweiser products every once in awhile.

02-21-2014 05:47:43 | More by nicholas2121
samtrillo

2.91/5  rDev +8.6%

Overall it's a good choice if you're picking between cheap American lagers. Serve it chilled and the "drinkability" will be high. You and a couple friends can kick pack a twelve pack easily.

Don't think too much about it. Not very complex but definitely sweeter honey feel than other American lagers. My go to for cheap American lagers.

02-18-2014 08:13:41 | More by samtrillo
WTKeene

3.38/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a can that somehow managed to find its way into my fridge after a party into a Deep Ellum Pint glass. This is my first BMC since turning 21.

Appearance: Translucent, pale honey. A persistent one finger head that leaves a lot of lacing after it disappears relatively quickly. Looks like most good lagers do.

Smell: Sweet, banana lager yeast. Not particularly pungent, but inoffensive enough.

Taste: This is really sweet, in a corn type of way. Lager flavor comes through on the end. Watery, but that's to be expected with a BMC.

Mouthfeel: Really high, prickly carbonation. Thin, watery body.

Overall: That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I can see why High Life is considered one of the better ones. I'll need to find some Schlitz Gusto soon, though.

02-17-2014 04:24:47 | More by WTKeene
odannyob

Colorado

3.33/5  rDev +24.3%

Yesterday, while purchasing another brew @ an establishment I use frequently for such purposes, I strolled by a cooler that had gold, white and green colored 32 ounce cans of it, just sitting there, staring out through the cold plate glass. I walked by and bought something else (another story another time) but had a weird dream last night about that 32 oz can of Miller's High Life, beckoning.
So, I went back, bought 2 of them there cans and here I am, describing it.
Well, it's one of the brews I sometimes spoon out the foam from the top of the glass I poured it into. Like the soapiness head isn't really beer flavored but serving only as a real thick filtering layer before liquid escapes.
But in all actuality, I like the taste of Miller High Life. I do, and I apologize not for finding my taste receptors enjoy a Miller every now and again and even twist a grinder of chunky sea salt on a hot summer day or on a frozen winter one, too, enhancing this old American standard beer, much like a mustard smeared pretzel and good talk among long friends does.

02-12-2014 21:03:09 | More by odannyob
hdf561

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

Had the "Champagne" of beer in a can at the American Tap Room in Richmond Va.

What can you really say about this beer that hasn't been said before?

It is very carbonated, but in my opinion smooth, and very drinkable. This is one of those beers that is not complex, not very something that will make you a craft beer lover, or anything like that. This is a beer to drink on a hot day when you want a beer but nothing heavy, or to simply get a good buzz on for a decent price.

Good tailgater, good summer time beer, worth a shot but as usual with anything other than craft beers, Beer snobs should avoid.

02-11-2014 22:48:04 | More by hdf561
workingclassbrew

Wisconsin

3.05/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Good Ol High Life. Poured into a traditional tavern glass. It pours a normal everyday pale straw, gold. Just like most big American lager breweries. The smell, sweet, not overpowering, closing time at the bar, beer spilled on the counter, and floor smell. Sounds great huh? Just smells like, well...beer.

Taste, ahh, this is my Miller Park beer during the games. High Life has always had a distinct taste for me. Medium carbonation, sweet, grassy, slightly metallic on this tasting. I dont know, its just a good, easy drinking , working mans brew. Its got the corn, adjunct taste, enough malt to keep things tasty. Good by itself, or with pizza, and BBQ.

I still cant find Schlitz, or Blatz wherever I might stop in, but almost everyplace carries High Life. This was $9.99 for a 18pk of bottles, not bad. I know clear bottles get a bad wrap, but I like the High Life bottle shape, and looking at this decent American beer.

02-11-2014 22:22:28 | More by workingclassbrew
MarkSmith86

Wisconsin

3.69/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Typical American adjunct lager smell if that is what your type of beer, very soapy head on it. The mouthfeel is prickly with carbonation but very smooth. Its actually not the corn/veggie aftertaste that miller usually puts out. Im actually surprised. For what it is, A.A.L i could get youst to buying this and drinking it on a daily basis. Plus the price is about 17.99 USD for a 30 pack.

02-03-2014 05:27:35 | More by MarkSmith86
FlyersFanEthan

Indiana

2.95/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

One of my favorite cheap, poor mans beer. When im low on cash and need some beer i always come back to high life. A 12 pack of bottles for $8.50 is a bargain! When i first turned drinking age this was my choice beer and thought it was great. I mean its still decent.... once ive had about 3-4 beers... Decent economy beer.

01-30-2014 01:32:48 | More by FlyersFanEthan
iman99

Louisiana

2.49/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This stuff tastes better in the bottle as do most beer or poured into a glass for best taste.

fact is that you mostly get the 32 oz in the can at most places and for some reason i get this crap every now and then and lets just say it is not total crap because its not so bad but the truth is

it has this weird taste to it and you don't really get much of a kick from it would rather spend the same money on some steel reserve if it is around in the local area.

its just that you got to get one you can depending on where you are at

if you are gonna buy this stuff may as well get some steel reserve, or hurricane or whatever, but whatever you do please do not buy that earthquake crap that is disgusting even for heavy drinkers for real no joke

01-16-2014 22:38:25 | More by iman99
krykel

My first review! (that's why I picked an easy one)

Drank straight out of the can.

A- It's got that golden color.

S - It has that "Mass Produced" smell that you get with adjuncts. It's not overly horrible, but not something I would go out of my way for.

T- Hits you at first with a little bite, but goes away quickly the more I drink it.

M- Very thin, almost like water. Carbonation hits pretty hard as well.

O- This is my go to 'cheap' beer. Overall it's not THAT bad of a product. It does exactly what I want it to at the right price. It gets easier to drink after one or two, but there's a good reason for that. If I'm having several different beers or going out, I have to remember to use a palate cleanser after this one, as it diminishes the taste of everything after it.

12-29-2013 19:50:53 | More by krykel
FrozenJoe

Arizona

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance:
Light golden / copper color. Good carbonation. Thick frothy head. Large soapy bubbles in the froth. The head leaves some lacing. Good looking lager. The bottle looks awesome.

Smell:
Not that good. Stale. Adjuncty.

Taste:
Sweet. Strong corn presence. Dry finish. Smooth. Very drinkable. Well balanced. Not a traditional "beer" flavor. Dry but no detectable hop flavor at all. Almost a malt liquor in flavor. If you're looking to catch a buzz these are easy to throw back. The taste grows on you the more of these that you drink.

Mouthfeel:
Well carbonated. Frothy. Thick. Very good. Retains its carbonation for a long time.

Overall:
This is a cheap beer. Adjuncts are prominent. But the taste is ok. The appearance and mouthfeel are top notch for the price range. This beer is only $6.99 for a 12 pack at my local supermarket! High Life is not great, but it gets the job done. More drinkable than quite a few higher priced beers. I would rate the overall experience higher but if I drink more than two of these at a time I get heartburn and a headache. My body doesn't do that well with additives and cheap ingredients. Tastes ok and has good appearance and mouthfeel, but still not that good.

12-22-2013 04:38:20 | More by FrozenJoe
LightEnthusiast

South Dakota

3.06/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

"The Champagne of Beer". I like this beer as long as I'm not taking time to review it. I don't recommend savoring the flavors in your mouth, they turn bad pretty fast.

Appearance - Straw, pale golden in color. More pale than other "golden" beers. Light head that disappears.

Smell - Pretty gross at first, smells a bit like men's restroom/urinals and mild skunk but the skunk is a pleasant sweet skunk. Dirt. Corn. Plastic. Overall a poor smell.

Taste - If you're leaving it on your palate for a few seconds (which I don't recommend), you'll taste bitter and sour carbonation mixed with dark cereal grains. After the first 3 seconds it dissolves to a rough - but light - carbonated cough syrup finish. I'll say it again, don't drink it like this. The cough syrup adjective is more attributed to the medicinal numb burning on your tongue as it dissolves and you swallow. This is met with hints of fruit at the tail end of the finish. A good way to drink this beer successfully is to not take your time swishing it around in your mouth like I'm doing now. There's nothing here worth savoring. It has a great drinkability if you go straight from the bottle to your throat, minimizing the time it's on your tongue. If you do this, the beer is actually quite good. Light and carbonated, the flavors leave quickly. This is not something to sip like hot chocolate...this is something to pound down at a tailgate or swig with your meal. Taste is fresh, crisp like an apple, and lightly fruity when swigged.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated yet flat at the same time. Can't get rid of that cough syrup. Leaves with a moderately fresh finish yet not too crisp. Again, swig it, don't swish. Airy, pleasantly carbonated when swigged.

Overall - I buy these from time to time for $12/18 pack. At this price it's the best value in cheap beer. My other light choice, Michelob Golden Light, has a much better taste, mouthfeel, smell...everything - but often times it's not as cheap as High Life. High Life is better than a lot of its competitors, it manages to sustain some level of sophistication in its taste and mouthfeel that a lot of other cheap AAL's do not possess.

There's definitely better beer out there, but there's most certainly worse. High Life is not a beer you should be ashamed to serve your buddies or drink on the couch at home. It's a great cheap alternative to other beers in its price range and knocks some of them straigh out of the park. Just don't expect a fantastic dissolution in your mouth, you will be disappointed and probably grossed out.

12-09-2013 07:33:20 | More by LightEnthusiast
Teshortall

3.1/5  rDev +15.7%

Miller High Life, the champagne of beers as it were, gets a bad rap. Years of terrible marketing and appearances in the shadiest of bodegas (corner stores and Delis for the non-New Yorker) Have given it the status of a Old English or a Coor's Banquet. The beer is more than it appears, inside that glass bottle with the girl on the moon is a malted beverage that is dare I say: out of this world...

A- A deep goldenrod with the clarity of the finest topaz of Egypt. Thick but structurally flimsy egg shell head
S- Fresh cut wheat with a copper undertone, when properly decanted one can detect a fine hint of chilled concrete.
T- Bready with a undertone of frosted flakes, rightfully so as this is a part of a balanced breakfast.
M- "High"-ly Carbonated, much like the 16th Century Benedictine monks who honed it's namesake. Tiny bubbles make the beer refreshing and highly sessionable.

12-03-2013 16:37:37 | More by Teshortall
Beerwolf666

Maryland

3.4/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Miller High Life has always been one of my favorite "Macro Brews",a very high drinkability Factor~Super Smooth,easy Drinking,Classic American Lager Beer,and priced right too [ 9 bucks for an 18 pack ] ..which makes it a GR8 choice for Get togethers,Parties,BBQ's and such.
Miller High Life is a Very Decent American Macro Lager,and IMHO one of the Best Overall in terms of Taste,Drinkability,Smoothness,and Price,Good Stuff Man!
Cheers and Peace2All;)

11-12-2013 21:41:40 | More by Beerwolf666
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.