2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,480 | Reviews: 996 | Show All Ratings:
rvonhagen

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +63.4%

I want to place two thoughts into consideration. Let's compare macro brews with other macro brews. Let's also consider that union brewed beer produces family wage jobs which are more important than ever today. I like to think that my enjoyment of this beer is good for our economy. Miller High Life should be considered a "Classic Beer" with these considerations. The head is unique for macro brews. The creamy mouth feel can seem luxurious when only a lighter beer will satisfy my dry. The taste is consistently good for this style no matter how many glasses you drain. Along with PBR it is truly the working persons (or students) best option if you like to have six or more at a time without blowing out the budget and you want something that is refreshing and tastes good. I am very thankful that Miller High Life is still available at a reasonably low cost. This is known as "The High Life" for those of us who like to drink beer frequently within our budget. I envy anyone who can afford to do this with micro brews. I am willing to label Miller High Life as the champagne of beer for the common person. It deserves a lot of respect for this reason in comparison with other beers in it's class.

03-12-2011 11:49:46 | More by rvonhagen
jasonjlewis

4.35/5  rDev +62.3%

I have no idea why miller doesn't make this it's main full flavor beer. This beer is cheap, yet it's one of their best.
What does one look for when drinking an american macro lager? He wants a smooth beer with some flavor, not too much (he wants it smooth and easy to drink a lot of). He wants a nice sweet smell as well. As far as american macro lagers, this takes the cake. Has nice flavor, and doesn't have that akward dryness that mgd has. Much better than MGD, miller needs to make this their main beer.

06-27-2006 21:23:54 | More by jasonjlewis
BigD1972

Rhode Island

4.33/5  rDev +61.6%

When it comes to macro brew beers, Miller High life is the best. What better way to end a hard day at work than by cracking open a bottle of High Life.

Bud, Coors...you must be crazy!!! If you want a tastey beer at a tastey price, join the common sense movement ant vote HIGH LIFE!!!

10-25-2008 20:16:12 | More by BigD1972
JohnSnowNW

4.33/5  rDev +61.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It's a good example of an AAL. Not perfect, but a good example of the style. I use, and typically use, AALs when boiling brats or insertion into the business end of a whole chicken (for grilling).

A: Golden.
S: Corn
T: Corn.
M: Light and effervescent, with slight astringency in finish.

07-31-2013 18:14:43 | More by JohnSnowNW
larsee01

4.3/5  rDev +60.4%

Drank straight from clear 12 oz glass bottle

A--First off, love the packaging. Retro-minimalist bottle, with my lovely moon lady greeting me. Poured a few ounces into glass to better review appearance and smell. Bright, golden, clear. Something different about High Life's color. Very gold. Almost bright yellow. Lively carbonation with small but respectable head.

S--Light malt, followed by corn. Detectable adjuncts.

T--Smooth breadiness at start. Corn/adjunct again, but acceptable. Out comes a pleasant, mild sweetness. Refreshing. Simple but not boring at all...like a familiar old friend. Minimal bitterness. Not really any detectable hoppiness

M--Light and refreshing, but definitely some body. Love the High Life aftertaste. Great lingering on palate.

D--Perhaps the ideal drinkable beer. FIVE all the way. I'm living the High Life. Are you? I unashamedly love this beer.

03-15-2008 02:03:19 | More by larsee01
SpencerSauce

4.3/5  rDev +60.4%

As far as Miller goes, high life is my favorite of them all. Maybe my favorite macro lager. I just love the effervescence when drank straight from the bottle. This is the champagne of beers, of course behind la fin du monde.

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A- golden, clear, very bubbly, minimal head retention. No lacing. Bright white foam.

S- a smell like corn. i can discern no hops. a very macro smell if you can dig it.

T- a medical like taste, or metallic taste. I would think the medical taste refers to pheynols but i wouldnt call this beer phenolic. a grainy taste, though adjuct they are.

M- this is one of the reasons i turn to high life. crisp and effervescent. light and refreshing. I could do the miller high life commercial. It is just light and crisp.

D- This is one of the most sessionable beers i have ever had. I would rather session with SNPA but if i havent the cash-money, i will turn to my friend mr 3.29 a sixer.

I rate beer according to style and this being my fav macro lager it gets an A.

if you dont agree i dont care. Beer advocate would be nothing if all we did was bash macro lagers.

08-07-2009 04:28:31 | More by SpencerSauce
JohnFatAss

4.28/5  rDev +59.7%

What can I say. I love Miller High Life.

It is just as good from a can as from a bottle but cheaper!

This is the one beer I keep going back to. It never disapoints. It is inexpensive, smooth, easy to drink, goes great with almost any food, it does not have any off flavors and does not give me a hang over.

It is not complex, bitter or hoppy, it is just a simple lager that is super refreshing.
Sometimes that is all your want.

Long Live the High Life!!!

05-23-2011 04:06:04 | More by JohnFatAss
BravoTwo

4.25/5  rDev +58.6%

Have to review this beer to style, and it is my favorite American Macro. A consistent performer that is classically American in style.

A - Nice golden yellow , very bright and clear
S - Malted corn smell with a light aroma
T - Great taste (again to style) with clean flavor, a sweeter corn
taste and very fresh and crisp
M - Just average here, although the carbonation adds to the
crispness of this beer
D - Very drinkable for this style. With other american macros I get
bloated (carbonation, maybe) but this is easily a sessionable
lager. Especially at the local bar after work with the gang, this
beer is a good choice (my opinion)

Once again , as reviewed to style I really enjoy this beer. "Champagne of beers" may not be the most appropriate name, but maybe the "Champagne of Macro Lagers". For anyone looking for a good American Macro to try, this is a good bet.

11-09-2007 17:14:30 | More by BravoTwo
tesguino

Mexico

4.2/5  rDev +56.7%

Miller had an example of good beer, miller high life in a 40oz bottle, a lager made without rice, malt, hops, corn starch, and flavorful water, its blonde color is because to its clear and dry malt; good with mexican cheese and american food, try with mexican antojitos too, serve in a glass mug previously cooled, with lime too; 92% recommended.

10-20-2005 15:54:25 | More by tesguino
CorporateTool

4.18/5  rDev +56%

The best way to review a beer and get an accurate impression is to take a tour of the brewery, then sample their wares straight from the bowels of the brewery. I have done this many times at the Miller brewery on State St. in Milwaukee, mostly between college final exams (many years ago). The one thing that always impressed me about MHL was the way it tasted at the brewery - heaven in a 7 oz. glass. Very smooth, nice malt smell, nice head with lacing, the most satisfying macro brew I've EVER drank (blew PBR away after a tour of the Pabst brewery - just a few blocks from school...).

In short - beer that's fresh tastes better. Macro brews get trucked all over the place, and even with multiple breweries, most of the big guys don't want to admit having a hard time keeping their product fresh. Born-on dates don't reflect weeks in a 110 degree warehouse or stockroom.

01-13-2011 05:52:39 | More by CorporateTool
putnam

4.15/5  rDev +54.9%

Apparently it makes a difference if you buy this in a bottle or can. The bottled version is miles better.
This is classic, cereal-flavored, fruity American lager. I have been blindsided by this slum bar staple several times now. There is a rich, cornbread-like, caky texture that is delivered atop abundant froth. Dry, mealy... reminds me of proper tamales from Michoacan - slightly charred, floral, succulent and starchy. Drinking this beer is like falling onto the bosom of the (industrial) land.
Great foreign beer.

05-23-2004 00:36:19 | More by putnam
beerkittycat

4.15/5  rDev +54.9%

Up north at the cabin I pulled out of the refrigerator a gleaming-gold icy cold can and poured into a classic pilsner glass found at a garage sale for 5 cents. Having felt a rush for nostalgia here's my review.

Appearance is a brilliant clear yellow-gold with a frothy white head that lingers for a few minutes then settles to a thin layer for the duration. Aroma is dominated by flowery noble hops with an underlying hint of corn flakes. There's malt in there, too, reminding me of Grape nuts. Taste is much the same as the aroma with big flavors of noble hops but restrained bitterness making this an incredibly smooth beer. There's acutally quite a bit of malt flavor here, and some corn flakes, but the hop flavor and malt dominate. Finishes smooth with a touch of sweetness that complements the noble hops.

This beer tastes way better now than it ever has and I was pleasantly surprised by the full flavor and hop presence.

06-23-2008 17:25:37 | More by beerkittycat
RBorsato

4.13/5  rDev +54.1%

Straw color with a full white head and very active carbonation. Balanced grain, fruity, corn aroma and flavor. Light-medium bodied, refreshing and smooth without a lot of cooked-corn character.

I prefer the bottled version over the cans ... seemed to have much better carbonation and liveliness. Very nice American macro -- one of the best actually and one of my favorites.

Per MIller website: 4.7% ABV, 143 cal., & 13.1g Carb

'08155' lasered on bottle
Tasted: 05/25/05

06-02-2005 21:23:34 | More by RBorsato
Rddymk

Indiana

4.13/5  rDev +54.1%

I am convinced that my Dad and Uncles were right about this beer. Unlike Pop's favorite, Hamm's, High Life ranks right up there with good, clean drinkable beer. It is a fine example of taste, price, look, mouthfeel and it has no lingering effects of YUCK afterwords. For the price, drink the crap out of this.

02-05-2009 20:57:50 | More by Rddymk
JesseP09

4.1/5  rDev +53%

What a delicious beer. Personally I would rank it as the third best BMC product. Rich golden color and sweet smell and a bubbly pour. The beer feels great in your mouth, but more importantly tastes amazing. Just a great all-around beer with a price tag that is begging you to buy it.

03-05-2009 15:45:32 | More by JesseP09
beerphan

4.08/5  rDev +52.2%

12oz bottle -> american pint
no date, but there is laser printed code

Pours a clear straw yellow with a generous head that leaves behind thin patches of pale white lace. The head surprisingly has some staying power and laces better than any macro i've come across. Carbonation is robust, truely champagne like.

Nose: Pale malt, a little sour yeast.

Taste: Slight toasted grain corn like flavor, that finishes relatively clean with a tad of caramel.

Mouthfeel is medium to slightly watery but with a quick crisp finish.

The most drinkable american macro imo. Used to down these like water at the bowling alley in my personal prohibition time. Cheap and available everywhere. A 4.5 for taste compared to beers of this style not compared to your favorite big beer.

02-17-2007 19:28:17 | More by beerphan
drunkboxer1

4.08/5  rDev +52.2%

Poured from the bottle into my mouth. My grandfather used to drink this beer while mowing the lawn in the summer. He did it based solely on how refreshing it looked. He's right and thats why I'm scoring it so high on appearance. It smells like corn, but not too strong in my opinion. You shouldn't be smelling this beer anyway. Beer is for drinking, you ass. It tastes crisp, and fairly clean. Not of a lot of corny sliminess that happens in these cheap American lagers. Mouthfeel is on target of the style (light) and the drinkability is awesome. This beer is designed to be drank in a session.

04-25-2009 23:48:16 | More by drunkboxer1
Mumsbrew

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev +51.1%

Haven't had one of these in a long, long time. I'm a stout man myself. Decided to pick up a 6 pack of bottles today and try one out. I've been thinking of brewing a batch of either an American ale or American lager. This is what i'd be going for.
Appearance - Beautiful. Just what you'd want in a golden clear lager. Really nice head and lacing.
Smell - Corn and grains. Not enough hops. Needs more aroma hops.
Taste - Could do with a little hops here too, same corn and grain.
Mouthfeel - Light and crisp. Just how it should be.
Drinkability - I'm on my 2nd in this tasteing and I'll be drinking the other 4 this evening. I grew up in the corn country of Ill. and had many of these growing up. Even been to the brewery when I was in boot camp at Great Lakes. So I'm a little partial to this beer. Loved it then and love it now. Will always be my stand by.

03-14-2009 20:32:52 | More by Mumsbrew
palma

4.05/5  rDev +51.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

In my opinion this is one of the best macro American lagers out there. I love this beer. If I'm not drinking craft, I'm drinking this.

Piss yellow clear body. Fizzy, semi-frothy, white, short lasting head, but a very lasting and stickly lace. Much better head compared to other macros.

Aroma is sweet corn, hay, very light malt. Minor vegital. Almost no hop aroma. But clean. No skunk, no off aroma - very smellable for a macro.

Taste is typical macro with a little more malty breadiness and a noticeable semi-dryness. Very nice if you are in the mood for a non-craft beer that is easy drinking but still has at least a smidge of complexity in the malt profile.

08-06-2012 17:38:14 | More by palma
wiseguywood

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +51.1%

Miller High Life is probably my favorite american adjunct lager. It is one of the beers I always have on hand in my refrigerator.

Pours a pale yellow and with a decent head for an adjunct. I don't know why, but the aroma gets me every time, maybe a hint of corn in the smell. I really didn't drink this until my 30's.

The taste is good for a solid american lager. Not overpowering but it does have some taste. The carbonation is a bit on the high side and it does fit the 'High Life' name. Nice mouthfeel.

If I have one adjunct lager in my fridge, it's this one.

04-06-2013 19:38:03 | More by wiseguywood
uncggop06

4.03/5  rDev +50.4%

This is for a taste test between Miller High Life and MGD (as per forum posts this same day). Beer poured from 24oz big can into large Okocim glass (0.5L, this glass is awesome by the way). Head formation was brilliant for a macro lager and sticks to the glass in large chunks. Puffy cloudy head remains after a few sips, this thing won't go away, reminds me of a slightly lesser head from a tripel. Beer a very pale gold with TONS of bubbles, it's so nice. The smell is not great, but the taste makes up for it. Very smooth and crisp, almost like biting into an apple. It is fairly sweet, but very refreshing. This definitely goes with everybody's idea of a great summer beer.

04-24-2007 03:07:40 | More by uncggop06
CharlyNovember

Ontario (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev +50.4%

THE best overall American Swill.
Semi-vigorous pour renders an enduring rocky head, provoking me to sip some before I can finish emptying the can. This is a fantastic head. It's the perfectly prepped hairstyle atop the beautiful body that is the beer, Miller High Life. Sweet corn and rice pudding aromas waft from it's surface, very warming, very pleasant. Sides down my throat with easy, chilling my tongue, leaving it's buttery flavor lingering. This beer is yearning to be drunk in big, slow swigs. Overall, it's the best macro lager from over the borderline. And c'mon.. ya gotta love the name.

Disclaimer: Written under the influence of a serious macro lager kick.

04-12-2013 07:08:46 | More by CharlyNovember
cvstrickland

12 oz clear bottle of straw amber liquid assertively poured into a tulip (usually poured festively into my mouth) produces a huge creamy head of nearly three fingers with excellent retention that leaves some lacing. Looks like beer.

Smell is lightly grainy, but the grain is corn.. which I blasphemously like. Smells like beer.

Crisp, clean, nice and grainy with a light malt sweetness; a refreshing soda pop of a brew. Tastes like beer, definitely.

Drinkable as all get out...just not with your beer snob friends...or your macro snob friends. No idea why this beer gets treated so second-classily by the sheeple drinking macro pisswater Bud Light, etc. It ain't awful, it tastes good and goes down easy. I like it. So there.

04-09-2008 22:42:50 | More by cvstrickland
Bockrules

New Mexico

Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass - reviewed as a cheap macro

A - Pours a clear gold with many bubbles streaming to the top. Nice fluffy two finger head with good retention that stayed intact all the way down the glass - remarkable for a macro. Left behind beautiful lacing!!!
I'm speechless!!!

S - A weak sweet malty smell - needs to be stronger

T - Sweet up front. The body is void of any real flavor other than a mild sweetness riding on a hardly perceptible malt background. Finnish is dry and champagney with a tiny bit of bitterness. Not a lot here, but not many offensive adjuncts either.. Much better than many of the other macros on the market

M - Thin as water and highly carbonated - refreshing, but could stand to be thicker. The carbonation suits the beer well though.

D - This beer really does have some champaign characteristics to it which make it highly drinkable. Yeah, it's not a complex macro, but this a delicious and cheap beer to have at a BBQ, on a hot day after wrenching on cars, with mexican food or even to enjoy by itself when looking for something simple. This beer also has a tremendous amount of sedimental value to me - my great grandpa used to drink one a day until he died at 98. Every time I drink one, I think of him and feel pride. High life will always have a special place in my heart and in my fridge.

09-08-2008 06:49:51 | More by Bockrules
steeldoc36

Miller Highlife always seems to find its way into my fridge. I do love all types and styles of beer, craft and mass produced. Highlife is a beer I go for time and time again on common days. It is very easy drinking. I must say I agree with what I remember an Uncle saying long ago when I was just a young college student. He said "Miller Highlife is probably the most beautiful looking beers of its type." I still agree, I catch myself gazing at it's golden color and slow moving little bubbles dancing around while I sip it in the Florida sunlight. This beer has a nice crisp start and a soft light alcohol finish. I also taste hints of sweet bread flavors. It also has a better lace on the glass than most of it's competitors. This is a favorite of mine while out fishing or working in the yard.

03-31-2011 02:01:19 | More by steeldoc36
Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.