Miller High Life - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High LifeMiller High Life

poor

good

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller High Life Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,356 | Reviews: 1,135
4.38/5  rDev +63.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is the champagne of beers - and for good reason. This is the beer of choice for folks that just want to drink beer. Those that want a beer that tastes like a double latte with 1 shot of vanilla, 1/2 shot of hazelnut, and light foamy milk, should try one of the microbeers in your area. However, at its current price point, packaging, and taste, you cannot go wrong bringing a 6 pack of high lifes to your best friend's bbq.

4.37/5  rDev +63.1%

I have no idea why miller doesn't make this it's main full flavor beer. This beer is cheap, yet it's one of their best.
What does one look for when drinking an american macro lager? He wants a smooth beer with some flavor, not too much (he wants it smooth and easy to drink a lot of). He wants a nice sweet smell as well. As far as american macro lagers, this takes the cake. Has nice flavor, and doesn't have that akward dryness that mgd has. Much better than MGD, miller needs to make this their main beer.

4.35/5  rDev +62.3%

This beer is really good.

4.34/5  rDev +61.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I really think this is an underrated beer. It is one of my favorite go to beers. I often drink it like a Mexican beer in the summer with some lime and salt. It's excellent and has a good refreshing flavor to quench your thirst on a hot summer day. I don't care much for Miller Lite, but regular Miller is the champagne of beers. One of my favorite American Lagers.

4.33/5  rDev +61.6%

I want to place two thoughts into consideration. Let's compare macro brews with other macro brews. Let's also consider that union brewed beer produces family wage jobs which are more important than ever today. I like to think that my enjoyment of this beer is good for our economy. Miller High Life should be considered a "Classic Beer" with these considerations. The head is unique for macro brews. The creamy mouth feel can seem luxurious when only a lighter beer will satisfy my dry. The taste is consistently good for this style no matter how many glasses you drain. Along with PBR it is truly the working persons (or students) best option if you like to have six or more at a time without blowing out the budget and you want something that is refreshing and tastes good. I am very thankful that Miller High Life is still available at a reasonably low cost. This is known as "The High Life" for those of us who like to drink beer frequently within our budget. I envy anyone who can afford to do this with micro brews. I am willing to label Miller High Life as the champagne of beer for the common person. It deserves a lot of respect for this reason in comparison with other beers in it's class.

4.32/5  rDev +61.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It's a good example of an AAL. Not perfect, but a good example of the style. I use, and typically use, AALs when boiling brats or insertion into the business end of a whole chicken (for grilling).

A: Golden.
S: Corn
T: Corn.
M: Light and effervescent, with slight astringency in finish.

4.31/5  rDev +60.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A good beer to drink just to relax, get drunk or just to party with.

4.3/5  rDev +60.4%

When it comes to macro brew beers, Miller High life is the best. What better way to end a hard day at work than by cracking open a bottle of High Life.

Bud, Coors...you must be crazy!!! If you want a tastey beer at a tastey price, join the common sense movement ant vote HIGH LIFE!!!

4.25/5  rDev +58.6%

As far as Miller goes, high life is my favorite of them all. Maybe my favorite macro lager. I just love the effervescence when drank straight from the bottle. This is the champagne of beers, of course behind la fin du monde.

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A- golden, clear, very bubbly, minimal head retention. No lacing. Bright white foam.

S- a smell like corn. i can discern no hops. a very macro smell if you can dig it.

T- a medical like taste, or metallic taste. I would think the medical taste refers to pheynols but i wouldnt call this beer phenolic. a grainy taste, though adjuct they are.

M- this is one of the reasons i turn to high life. crisp and effervescent. light and refreshing. I could do the miller high life commercial. It is just light and crisp.

D- This is one of the most sessionable beers i have ever had. I would rather session with SNPA but if i havent the cash-money, i will turn to my friend mr 3.29 a sixer.

I rate beer according to style and this being my fav macro lager it gets an A.

if you dont agree i dont care. Beer advocate would be nothing if all we did was bash macro lagers.

4.24/5  rDev +58.2%

Drank straight from clear 12 oz glass bottle

A--First off, love the packaging. Retro-minimalist bottle, with my lovely moon lady greeting me. Poured a few ounces into glass to better review appearance and smell. Bright, golden, clear. Something different about High Life's color. Very gold. Almost bright yellow. Lively carbonation with small but respectable head.

S--Light malt, followed by corn. Detectable adjuncts.

T--Smooth breadiness at start. Corn/adjunct again, but acceptable. Out comes a pleasant, mild sweetness. Refreshing. Simple but not boring at all...like a familiar old friend. Minimal bitterness. Not really any detectable hoppiness

M--Light and refreshing, but definitely some body. Love the High Life aftertaste. Great lingering on palate.

D--Perhaps the ideal drinkable beer. FIVE all the way. I'm living the High Life. Are you? I unashamedly love this beer.

4.22/5  rDev +57.5%

Miller had an example of good beer, miller high life in a 40oz bottle, a lager made without rice, malt, hops, corn starch, and flavorful water, its blonde color is because to its clear and dry malt; good with mexican cheese and american food, try with mexican antojitos too, serve in a glass mug previously cooled, with lime too; 92% recommended.

4.21/5  rDev +57.1%

What can I say. I love Miller High Life.

It is just as good from a can as from a bottle but cheaper!

This is the one beer I keep going back to. It never disapoints. It is inexpensive, smooth, easy to drink, goes great with almost any food, it does not have any off flavors and does not give me a hang over.

It is not complex, bitter or hoppy, it is just a simple lager that is super refreshing.
Sometimes that is all your want.

Long Live the High Life!!!

4.21/5  rDev +57.1%

Have to review this beer to style, and it is my favorite American Macro. A consistent performer that is classically American in style.

A - Nice golden yellow , very bright and clear
S - Malted corn smell with a light aroma
T - Great taste (again to style) with clean flavor, a sweeter corn
taste and very fresh and crisp
M - Just average here, although the carbonation adds to the
crispness of this beer
D - Very drinkable for this style. With other american macros I get
bloated (carbonation, maybe) but this is easily a sessionable
lager. Especially at the local bar after work with the gang, this
beer is a good choice (my opinion)

Once again , as reviewed to style I really enjoy this beer. "Champagne of beers" may not be the most appropriate name, but maybe the "Champagne of Macro Lagers". For anyone looking for a good American Macro to try, this is a good bet.

4.15/5  rDev +54.9%

Up north at the cabin I pulled out of the refrigerator a gleaming-gold icy cold can and poured into a classic pilsner glass found at a garage sale for 5 cents. Having felt a rush for nostalgia here's my review.

Appearance is a brilliant clear yellow-gold with a frothy white head that lingers for a few minutes then settles to a thin layer for the duration. Aroma is dominated by flowery noble hops with an underlying hint of corn flakes. There's malt in there, too, reminding me of Grape nuts. Taste is much the same as the aroma with big flavors of noble hops but restrained bitterness making this an incredibly smooth beer. There's acutally quite a bit of malt flavor here, and some corn flakes, but the hop flavor and malt dominate. Finishes smooth with a touch of sweetness that complements the noble hops.

This beer tastes way better now than it ever has and I was pleasantly surprised by the full flavor and hop presence.

4.13/5  rDev +54.1%

Straw color with a full white head and very active carbonation. Balanced grain, fruity, corn aroma and flavor. Light-medium bodied, refreshing and smooth without a lot of cooked-corn character.

I prefer the bottled version over the cans ... seemed to have much better carbonation and liveliness. Very nice American macro -- one of the best actually and one of my favorites.

Per MIller website: 4.7% ABV, 143 cal., & 13.1g Carb

'08155' lasered on bottle
Tasted: 05/25/05

4.13/5  rDev +54.1%

Apparently it makes a difference if you buy this in a bottle or can. The bottled version is miles better.
This is classic, cereal-flavored, fruity American lager. I have been blindsided by this slum bar staple several times now. There is a rich, cornbread-like, caky texture that is delivered atop abundant froth. Dry, mealy... reminds me of proper tamales from Michoacan - slightly charred, floral, succulent and starchy. Drinking this beer is like falling onto the bosom of the (industrial) land.
Great foreign beer.

4.13/5  rDev +54.1%

I am convinced that my Dad and Uncles were right about this beer. Unlike Pop's favorite, Hamm's, High Life ranks right up there with good, clean drinkable beer. It is a fine example of taste, price, look, mouthfeel and it has no lingering effects of YUCK afterwords. For the price, drink the crap out of this.

4.1/5  rDev +53%

The best way to review a beer and get an accurate impression is to take a tour of the brewery, then sample their wares straight from the bowels of the brewery. I have done this many times at the Miller brewery on State St. in Milwaukee, mostly between college final exams (many years ago). The one thing that always impressed me about MHL was the way it tasted at the brewery - heaven in a 7 oz. glass. Very smooth, nice malt smell, nice head with lacing, the most satisfying macro brew I've EVER drank (blew PBR away after a tour of the Pabst brewery - just a few blocks from school...).

In short - beer that's fresh tastes better. Macro brews get trucked all over the place, and even with multiple breweries, most of the big guys don't want to admit having a hard time keeping their product fresh. Born-on dates don't reflect weeks in a 110 degree warehouse or stockroom.

4.08/5  rDev +52.2%

Has maybe the best head and lacing of an American Lager I've tasted. A quality beer especially considering the value price point. Not fancy but solid.

4.06/5  rDev +51.5%

Miller High Life is probably my favorite american adjunct lager. It is one of the beers I always have on hand in my refrigerator.

Pours a pale yellow and with a decent head for an adjunct. I don't know why, but the aroma gets me every time, maybe a hint of corn in the smell. I really didn't drink this until my 30's.

The taste is good for a solid american lager. Not overpowering but it does have some taste. The carbonation is a bit on the high side and it does fit the 'High Life' name. Nice mouthfeel.

If I have one adjunct lager in my fridge, it's this one.

4.05/5  rDev +51.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

High Life is for the everday drinker who enjoys a clean, crisp, quantity - emphasized taste. A man drinks High Life to escape. A man drinks High Life because he's content. A man drink's High Life because he's a dreamer. A man drinks High Life because he's not quite sure of who he is. A man drinks High Life because he knows exactly who he is. Men drink High Life for many reasons, but the take away is that men drink High Life. So keep on moving, keep on drinking, and keep on living the high life.

4.05/5  rDev +51.1%

What a delicious beer. Personally I would rank it as the third best BMC product. Rich golden color and sweet smell and a bubbly pour. The beer feels great in your mouth, but more importantly tastes amazing. Just a great all-around beer with a price tag that is begging you to buy it.

4.04/5  rDev +50.7%

Poured from the bottle into my mouth. My grandfather used to drink this beer while mowing the lawn in the summer. He did it based solely on how refreshing it looked. He's right and thats why I'm scoring it so high on appearance. It smells like corn, but not too strong in my opinion. You shouldn't be smelling this beer anyway. Beer is for drinking, you ass. It tastes crisp, and fairly clean. Not of a lot of corny sliminess that happens in these cheap American lagers. Mouthfeel is on target of the style (light) and the drinkability is awesome. This beer is designed to be drank in a session.

4.02/5  rDev +50%

Haven't had one of these in a long, long time. I'm a stout man myself. Decided to pick up a 6 pack of bottles today and try one out. I've been thinking of brewing a batch of either an American ale or American lager. This is what i'd be going for.
Appearance - Beautiful. Just what you'd want in a golden clear lager. Really nice head and lacing.
Smell - Corn and grains. Not enough hops. Needs more aroma hops.
Taste - Could do with a little hops here too, same corn and grain.
Mouthfeel - Light and crisp. Just how it should be.
Drinkability - I'm on my 2nd in this tasteing and I'll be drinking the other 4 this evening. I grew up in the corn country of Ill. and had many of these growing up. Even been to the brewery when I was in boot camp at Great Lakes. So I'm a little partial to this beer. Loved it then and love it now. Will always be my stand by.

4.01/5  rDev +49.6%

12oz bottle -> american pint
no date, but there is laser printed code

Pours a clear straw yellow with a generous head that leaves behind thin patches of pale white lace. The head surprisingly has some staying power and laces better than any macro i've come across. Carbonation is robust, truely champagne like.

Nose: Pale malt, a little sour yeast.

Taste: Slight toasted grain corn like flavor, that finishes relatively clean with a tad of caramel.

Mouthfeel is medium to slightly watery but with a quick crisp finish.

The most drinkable american macro imo. Used to down these like water at the bowling alley in my personal prohibition time. Cheap and available everywhere. A 4.5 for taste compared to beers of this style not compared to your favorite big beer.

Miller High Life from Miller Brewing Co.